Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who was gay in Hair Metal?

I know about Rob Halford but I don't consider Judas Priest "hair metal."

What do we know about any of those over the top 80s groups such as Poison, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Ratt, etc.

by Anonymousreply 327August 1, 2020 1:58 AM

Well, we on DL, all now know that Jani Lane was apparently at least bi.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2013 8:27 PM

We used to call all the hair metal devotees in school who dressed like their idols "maggots."

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2013 8:33 PM

yuck OP! Although in their hey day some of the front mens were hot!

i.e. David Coverdale from WHite Snake.

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2013 8:40 PM

I never thought they were hot. I always found them kinda gross myself and hated the male strippers who adopted those hairstyles.

But the lipstick, the preening, the spandex pants- they seemed like the least masculine guys in music.

by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2013 8:52 PM

"Who was gay in Hair Metal?"

Practically every single one of the men who've run a metal hot comb through my hair.

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2013 8:58 PM

Oh, how about David Lee Roth?

by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2013 10:07 PM

R6, that's the first person who came to my mind.

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2013 10:16 PM

Roth always pinged to me. So has Ricki Rocket from Poison. Paul Stanley from KISS pings as well.

So many of those guys back then were HOT...Kip Winger, Mike Tramp, Brett Michaels, Jon Bon Jovi...

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2013 1:15 AM

Kip Winger drove me MAD with lust

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2013 4:27 AM

Statistically, there ought to be a number of 'mos in the mix. But I also think the hair metal genre attracted the kind of guys that were in it for the chicks rather than the love of the music. That whole groupie scene on the Sunset Strip. A few of the guys were extremely hot, even though I wasn't terribly fond of the music...Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme, Michael Monroe from Hanoi Rocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2013 5:28 AM

David Lee Roth started pinging to me when he announced that he was having groupies sign a form that if he got them pregnant on their latest tour, he wouldn't be paying child support. When that happened my two thoughts were 1) what a dick and 2) that seems like a big old smokescreen. He's never married and the last time I saw him interviewed a purse, a pair of earring and a caftan fell out of his mouth.

My sister was obsessed with him and he did have a hot ass, but he was such a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2013 5:46 AM

CC Deville from Poison maybe ?

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2013 6:18 AM

R9 I had huge crush on him. I was a long-haired metal head in high school. I took his photo from Metal Edge magazine to the woman who did my hair and told her I wanted hair like that.

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2013 11:18 AM

When Bon Jovi first became popular, there was one of those "kids rumors" pre-internet started by somebody that JBV was bisexual. There was, of course, no proof but kids imaginations.

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2013 3:00 PM

I'm wondering if the fights between DLR & EVH were because DLR is flamboyantly gay & EVH is a complete douchey Gay Hater.

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2013 3:40 PM

Kip Winger has a nice sized cock and he loved to show it off back in the day. He rarely wore underwear. Some evidence...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2013 9:23 PM

More evidence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2013 9:25 PM

Hair Metal seemed like one of the most posturing of all genres. Women as accessories to be photographed with.

Thank god it's long gone.

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2013 12:47 PM

I always thought David Lee Roth and Paul Stanley were gay, even back in the '70s. I was a Metal guy in the '70s and '80s, but I was more into the harder bands like Metallica, AC/DC, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Krokus, Fates Warning, Queensryche, Saxon, Anthrax, etc.

I liked a few bands considered "hair metal" (like Kiss, Motley Crue, Dokken, L.A. Guns - and a few songs by Def Leppard, Ratt and Quiet Riot), but most of the genre was sub-par in my book. However, the guys were definitely hotter in hair metal. Sexually, I would have taken Nikki Sixx or Kip Winger over Lemmy or James Hetfield any day. Musically, I would go the opposite way.

by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2013 12:03 AM

R19, you would take KIP WINGER (looool) and NIKKI SIXX over JAMES HETFIELD?

I mean...why?

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2013 12:07 AM

I always thought that gnarly looking singer from W.A.S.P. (Blackie Lawless, yeah like that was his real name) was a homo and a half. He pinged right off the charts for me. He was fug as hell though.

If David Lee Roth is straight, then so am I (and I know I am a Kinsey 6). Roth is GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY!!!! I have known this since the first time I saw him on TV in 1978, around the time of their first album. Paul "Starchild" Stanley is at least bi, or my gaydar is kaput. He pings like the submarine in "Run Silent, Run Deep."

In heavier metal, Phil Anselmo (formerly the singer of Pantera, and currently with Down), is reportedly gay or bisexual (I don't know if this is true or not).

The lead singer for King Kobra, a lesser known band from the mid-'80s (they did the theme to the movie "Iron Eagle") featured singer Mark Free, who has since had gender-reassignment surgery and is now known professionally as "Marcie Free." Sebastian Bach has always been reported as a pussy hound, and he is married, but he pings in interviews... so queeny.

Others who pinged for me were: Kevin Dubrow from Quiet Riot, Randy Rhoads (Ozzy's guitarist from '80-'82), Ace Frehley (the ultimate Kiss guitarist - Peter Criss recently outted Ace as bi), Vinnie Vincent (guitarist in Kiss for about a minute and a half), Mark St. John (guitarist in Kiss for 45 seconds in 1984), Steve Vai (Roth's former guitarist), the entire band Autograph, Billy Squier (not really hair metal, but he did rock and have long hair).

by Anonymousreply 21November 2, 2013 12:19 AM

[quote]I mean...why?

Why? You look at Kip, and then you look at James Hetfeld...you have to ask WHY?

by Anonymousreply 22November 2, 2013 12:21 AM

Sebastian Bach is a woman, but I'm not sure if he's a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 23November 2, 2013 12:23 AM

Anyone remember the big to-do when Sebastian Bach wore a t-shirt that said "AIDS kills fags dead"? He followed that up with the following statement:

Quizzed about the shirt by MTV last month, Skid Row's lead singer lightheartedly responded: "I understand it's not cool to make fun of death. I guess nobody gets my jokes. Anyway, a kid threw (the shirt) on stage, I put it on, and all these people got mad at me. But let me just state this--I do not know, condone, comprehend or understand homosexuality in any way, shape, form or (laughs) size."

The lady doth protest too much!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 2, 2013 12:26 AM

R20 - I meant sexually, not musically. I hated Winger's music in the '80s and I worshipped Metallica. Hetfield, especially in the '80s, was gross. Back then, he had very bad acne (circa 1983-1987) and that was a major turn-off. He looked better as he aged, and almost looked hot for a while. But in the '80s, I would definitely have popped Kip Winger's, Jon Bone-Jerky's or George Lynch's cans long before Hetfield's. I would have done David Lee Roth in the '70s or '80s, but I'd bet he has a loose and sloppy hole!

Though I would have done Kirk Hammett ('tallica's lead guitarist) over any of them. I've heard many stories that Kirk is supposedly as bisexual swinger. I hope that's true!

by Anonymousreply 25November 2, 2013 12:30 AM

[quote]Though I would have done Kirk Hammett ('tallica's lead guitarist) over any of them. I've heard many stories that Kirk is supposedly as bisexual swinger. I hope that's true!

He does totally have gayvoice, so ya never know...

by Anonymousreply 26November 2, 2013 12:38 AM

In high school ('79-'83) I had a huge crush on Rob Halford (Judas Priest) and Freddie Mercury (Queen). I had my walls plastered with posters and album covers of their bands.

I guess I had great gay-dar because they both turned out to be gay (though I was pretty sure about Freddie). I met Halford on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX in June 1981, on the afternoon before the concert they played, and was convinced he was gay at that time. He was a very nice, charming and funny man. If I had known for sure that he was gay I would have made a play for him. LOL. He would probably have turned me down because I was only 16. I was hella cute though. LOL.

Neither Rob nor Freddie were hair metal but those were my stories. In hair metal... Roth is a f.a.g.g.o.t. for sure.

by Anonymousreply 27November 2, 2013 12:41 AM

I think Roth and Paul Stanley are gay too. In the very least, they're bi.

As for crushes, I crushed on Kip Winger, Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, David Bryan, Rick Savage and Joe Elliott of Def Leppard, Mike Tramp from White Lion, and those are just a few. Those Metal magazines from back in the day were prime source material for spotting VPL, because all of those metal and rock guys sported it.

by Anonymousreply 28November 2, 2013 12:49 AM

Not hair metal, but it´s interesting to know there´s a black metal singer from Gorgoroth called Gahl that´s out and proud. Nw heís with Godseed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 2, 2013 12:50 AM

Also out is the lovely singer of Tessract

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 2, 2013 12:52 AM

Faith No More's Roddy Bottum (how appropriate) has been out for years.

by Anonymousreply 31November 2, 2013 12:54 AM

R27 Rob Halford was not the only gay member of Judas Priest. Their drummer from 1980-1989, Dave Holland (who also played in killer the early '70s metal band Trapeze) was/is gay. He got into some trouble a few years back for supposedly putting Rohypnol in a 17 year old guy's drink and then sodomizing him. He was recently released after nearly a decade in prison.

K.K. Downing, who was quite the sexy blond in the '80s, always pinged for me too. I've heard conflicting stories about his sexuality (ranging from pussyhound to homo).

Regardless, I FUCKING LOVE JUDAS PRIEST! As a matter of fact, I am drinking a cold Budweiser and listening to their "Defenders Of The Faith" album right now.

by Anonymousreply 32November 2, 2013 12:57 AM

Stephen Pearcy, the lead singer for RATT. If he's not gay, he missed his calling. I worked for a radio station in the '80s and he came in to do an on-air interview (in the Summer of '84, just as they were hitting big with "Out of the Closet... I mean Cellar". That man had purses, Liza Minnelli, the ruby slippers and half of fucking Oz falling out of his mouth every time he opened it. Everybody at the station thought he was the biggest queen since Liberace.

by Anonymousreply 33November 2, 2013 1:02 AM

Pearcy is another one! Even the way he danced and pranced screamed gay. And that hair, the way it was combed forward. His singing was kinda fe-mm-e too.

by Anonymousreply 34November 2, 2013 1:06 AM

In the early death metal movement of the late 1980's, Chuck Schuldiner, the singer, guitarist and main songwriter for the group Death was rumored to be gay. He never officially came out but I do believe he was gay, based on his gayvoice and mannerisms in interviews. He was rumored to have died from AIDS but the official cause of death was listed as brain cancer. I was never into death metal (I preferred traditional metal and thrash). He was a very good looking young man though.

by Anonymousreply 35November 2, 2013 1:10 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 2, 2013 1:10 AM

Someone (supposedly in-the-know in the music industry) told me that David Lee Roth was, in his youth, very actively bisexual. He supposedly dated women in public and men in private. I was told that he lives with a long-time male lover, and has for at least 15 years.

Paul Stanley has been married (to women) a couple of times, but he HAS TO BE at least bi. I have heard stories (and read insinuations by Peter Criss) that he is at least bi. Stanley was quite the cutie in his 20s and 30s and I would have helped him polish his "Love Gun" back in the day. Anyone who doubts that Paul is gay/bi needs to re-watch the "Heaven's On Fire" music video from 1984 or the "Tears Are Falling" music video from 1985. All doubts will be forever erased.

I am not religious, but I pray to God every night that Gene Simmons is neither gay nor bi. I hate that man with a passion. He is a fug and a pig, and always has been.

by Anonymousreply 37November 2, 2013 1:20 AM

I always heard a lot of rumors about Gary Cherrone from Extreme. The gayest music video ever made (it even surpasses videos by Wham! and the Village People) was Extreme's "More Than Words" from 1991. Gary and Nuno were practically making love in that video. Ironically, in light of all the Roth stories, Cherrone was the singer for Van Halen after Hagar's departure in the late 1990's.

by Anonymousreply 38November 2, 2013 1:27 AM

[quote]Anyone who doubts that Paul is gay/bi needs to re-watch the "Heaven's On Fire" music video from 1984 or the "Tears Are Falling" music video from 1985. All doubts will be forever erased.

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 2, 2013 1:30 AM

What R4 said. I came of age at the height of this weird phenomenon. All of my straight friends loved this crap music. I was closeted and found the men so oddly effemin@te; they looked just like women, they were usually very thin with "pretty" features and the exact same big hair that women popularly wore back then. I was into new wave, synth pop and alternative rock, which was all considered "fag" music (and there was an admittedly gay aesthetic to much of that music) but it always seemed so ironic to me that my butch, straight friends idolized these feminized girly men in hair metal bands.

So weird. I never got it and loved when grunge came along and killed metal once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2013 1:30 AM

And let's not forget Paul's flame-tastic performance in the "Lick It Up" video...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 2, 2013 1:31 AM

Not hair metal, but Doug Pinnick from Houston's excellent '80s "experiemental metal" band Kings-X came out as gay a few years ago. Ironically, he is also a devout Christian.

In hair metal, the ones who pinged for me, in addition to Paul Stanley, Stephen Pearcy and DLR were: Taime Downe - the singer from that horrid band Faster Pussycat and Marq Torien - that fruity singer from Bulletboys.

by Anonymousreply 42November 2, 2013 1:44 AM

This thread made me think that this could be quite a good topic for a premium cable drama. The sleazy L.A. scene of the late 80s/early 90s, with plenty of sex and drugs. There could be a closeted character trying to deal with female groupies and rumors that could derail his career. Lots of full frontal male nudity, of course...

by Anonymousreply 43November 2, 2013 1:45 AM

I used to tour the US a lot in a band in the late 90s, I heard about Roth being gay from too many industry people for it not to be true.

by Anonymousreply 44November 2, 2013 1:47 AM

Taime Downe always pinged for me too, R42. Nowadays he looks like Marilyn Manson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2013 1:48 AM

Good idea, R43.

There is definitely an sexual undercurrent that went on back then that you never hear talked about in all the VH1 specials and Roc Docs that are shown on cable music channels. I'll bet a great number of those guys have dabbled, had their knobs slobbed, what-have-you.

[quote]Marq Torien - that fruity singer from Bulletboys.

Oh yes. He flamed so much that I'm surprised the camera didn't catch fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2013 1:49 AM

Roth HAS to be gay. I mean...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 2, 2013 1:50 AM

R41 - Back in the Fall of '83 when that Lick It Up video first hit MTV, my buddy (also gay) and I started calling Paul "Little Richard Simmons", because he pranced around like a cross between Little Richard and that exercise freak - we borrowed our nickname for Paul from an Eddie Murphy SNL skit from a year or two earlier.

"Eat it like a piece of cake", indeed. I love the 'finger suck' - he even did it when they performed it live. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2013 1:52 AM

I have thought Paul Stanley was gay ever since I bought the "Hotter Than Hell" album in early 1975. I was nine years old, but the first thing I saw when I looked at the front cover of the album was Paul reaching back and grabbing a handful of Peter Criss's ass. Right then I thought, hmmm. Then I saw him performing on TV and just knew for sure. Don't worry, Starchild. Our secret is safe.

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2013 2:01 AM

[35] there´s a guy that worked in a milwaukee festival back when chuck was alive that claimed police was called because he was messing with an underage boy. Also, it seems ex-Death guitar Paul Masvidal (now Cynic, Aeon Spoke) is gay too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 2, 2013 2:03 AM

Joey Tempest of Europe was one gorgeous man. I just have to imagine what he would have looked like with a decent haircut. Probably straight, but who knows. I'd love to hear if anyone has stories about him or Michael Monroe from Hanoi Rocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 2, 2013 2:08 AM

Someone else mentioned Billy Squier. I know he is not 'hair metal' but that man made Richard Simmons look like Rambo. Most people point to the "Rock Me Tonite" video from '84, but I picked up on it in his earlier videos from '81 ("The Stroke", "My Kinda Lover") and '82's "Everybody Wants You."

That guy was a screaming queen. He was quite good looking though. I used to have a huge poster of his "Don't Say No" album (which also sports some of the gayest lyrics of all time) on my wall.

by Anonymousreply 52November 2, 2013 2:09 AM

Billy Squier is now a gardener.

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2013 2:16 AM

I used to mess around with a guitarist (no one you would remember) from an obscure, but signed to a major label '80s band, and he told me that Klaus Meine (the singer from the AWESOME fucking Scorpions) was gay. I had never thought about it, and I don't know for sure if it's true, but that seemed to be the rumor in the metal community back then. He also told me, circa 1986, that Rob Halford was gay. That turned out to be true.

by Anonymousreply 54November 2, 2013 2:18 AM

R54, I had forgotten about that. I remember hearing about Klaus as far back as the "Lovedrive" album (1979). I guess I never gave it much thought because I did not find him to be attractive (he was, like, 5 feet tall and looked a little like Richard Simmons). I love the Scorpions though, especially the "Blackout" album. He's an amazing singer - I hope he is gay.

I used to have a huge crush on Scorpion's guitarists Rudolf Schenker and Matthias Jabs back in the '80s. Damn. They were hotties. I also had a thing for Rudy's younger brother, Michael Schenker, from UFO. Another fine specimen of metal studliness back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 55November 2, 2013 2:26 AM

R55 I kind of had a thing for all the guys in the Scorpions, except Klaus. LOL.

There were a lot of rumors about another German metal band from the '80s, Accept, whose excellent 1983/84 album "Balls To The Wall" featured many songs with gay themes and lyrics ("Love Child", "Head Over Heels" - plus the song titles "Balls To The Wall" and "London Leatherboys"). "Balls To The Wall" was one of my five favorite albums of the Eighties. I felt like, whether they were gay or not, they at least "got" us.

I spent many evenings cruising the streets of Dallas with my buddies and cranking lots of Scorpions and Accept back in the mid 1980s. Neither were really 'hair bands' but I loved them.

by Anonymousreply 56November 2, 2013 2:34 AM

It's funny. I was a teenager in the '80s and I was a total headbanger. I loved it all - thrash, traditional, pop-metal, hair-metal, you name it. When Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden & Alice In Chains hit in '90 and '91, I ditched metal.

About a year ago, I was going through a bunch of my old metal records and CDs and I got back into them full-throttle. I burned tons of Priest, AC/DC, Scorpions, Dokken, Maiden, Metallica, Triumph and shit to my iPod and I can't believe I ever stopped listening to it. I had forgotten what a rush it was to listen to. Nothing makes me feel better than cranking AC/DC's "Back In Black" and "For Those About To Rock", Judas Priest's "Screaming For Vengeance" and "Turbo" or Iron Maiden's "Live After Death." It makes me feel 15 again.

by Anonymousreply 57November 2, 2013 2:42 AM

Lemmy from Motorhead? I love that guy. I have actually heard stories that he could be gay. He's the furthest thing from hair metal but I think it would be awesome if he were one of us.

I met Lemmy in a bar in L.A. years ago (a straight bar) and he is cool as hell. He's in his late 60s now but he can drink ANYONE under the table.

Another rumored to be gay was Ronnie James Dio (from Rainbow, Black Sabbath & his own band Dio). I can almost believe it. For years he was married to his "manager", which is almost always a cover up (think Randy Travis, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 58November 2, 2013 2:54 AM

I've always wondered about the really homophobic ones like Sebastian Bach and Axl Rose. They both seem like the type to publicly bash gays and privately take it up the ass.

I have heard some really gross stories about Axl (with women). He's supposedly into some really kinky shit. I can just picture him bending over and taking Rob Halford's fat cock up his spandex covered ass. Rob, I'm sure, has better taste than that.

by Anonymousreply 59November 2, 2013 2:58 AM

Styx were never a hair metal band but most or all of the members of the band pinged to high heaven to me, especially Dennis DeYoung, James Young and Chuck Panozzo.

The only one to come out as gay was Panozzo, but I swear those other two HAVE to be bisexual at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 60November 2, 2013 3:01 AM

R60, Me too. I would throw Tommy Shaw and the late John Panozzo in there too. That whole band seemed gayer than the Village People. I really did love Styx in the '70s. I always remember the video they did for their song "Boat on the River" (from their "Cornerstone" ablum). It was my favorite Styx song ever. Through most of the video Shaw and DeYoung are gazing at each other and making "goo-goo eyes" the whole time. Very homoerotic.

by Anonymousreply 61November 2, 2013 3:06 AM

I had a thing for a lot of the metal guys in the 1980s. Oddly enough, I preferred the guys from the harder bands that didn't wear all the makeup. A few of the ones I liked:

Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton & KK Downing (Judas Priest)

Matthias & Rudy (Scorpions)

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

Marc Storace (Krokus)

Kirk Hammett (Metallica)

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)

Phil Lynott & Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy)

Rik Emmett (Triumph)

Michael Schenker (UFO, MSG)

Joe Elliott, Rick Savage (Def Leppard)

Paul Stanley (Kiss)

George Lynch (Dokken)

I was a horny young dude. I wore the pages of my old Creem, Circus, Hit Parader, Faces, and Metal Scene magazines out. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 62November 2, 2013 3:16 AM

One guy I always thought was gay was Rudy Sarzo from Ozzy's band/Quiet Riot (also Whitesnake, and about a thousand other bands since). I met Quiet Riot at an in-store record signing in '83 (Metal Health era) and he came across as super queeny. I remember thinking Dubrow was gay too, because he had an earring in only his right ear, which was kind of a bat-signal for being gay back in the day. He seemed a little swishy too.

by Anonymousreply 63November 2, 2013 3:20 AM

Rudo Sarzo was hot as fuck when he was in Whitesnake.

by Anonymousreply 64November 2, 2013 3:26 AM

I think a lot of straight guys would be shocked to find out how many of their rock idols actually smoke pole. I remember when Halford came out, my older brother could not accept it. He accepted my being gay just fine, but not Halford.

He said that "Halford used to get all the pussy in the world on tour. What happened to him? Drugs? Did he just burn out on the pussy, or what?"

I just laughed and said, "You honestly mean to tell me that you can look at the Unleashed in the East album cover and not think he was gay back then?"

Then I showed him the lyrics to the song "Raw Deal" from their 1977 album "Sin After Sin":

I made the Spike about nine o'clock on a Saturday. All eyes hit me as I walked into the bar. The spikey leather guys were foolin with the denim dudes. A couple cards played rough stuff, New York, Fire Island.

I cased the joint, straining at the scenes, I moseyed up to the counter and the tender came a-grinnin'. I snapped the smile off his face and snarled "Give me a bourbon". The mirror on the wall was collecting and reflecting, All the heavy bodies ducking, stealing eager for some action. The scene screwed me up, I saw some contact. Then there he was, saw me and knew that I'd had too much, foolin' around. Statues alive, seconds are hours.

Sex is like a hurricane it grabs and then it shatters. I was barely holding on to this fine body symphony. I guess I dream in pictures, not colors. The true free expression I demand is human rights - right? I came the light, I am immortal. I'm going, no loss. Nightmare, just a bunch of goddamn, rotten, steaming, raw deal.

Those lyrics sounded like one of the songs from The Village People's first album. My brother still couldn't for a long time accept that Rob was "family."

by Anonymousreply 65November 2, 2013 3:33 AM

This is Bach talking about Phil Anselmo's monster dick.

According to rumour the "saw it at a urinal" part is fiction.

BTW, Bach and his brothers are walking distilleries, so I'd take anything he said with a grain of salt (although I have read Anselmo is huge).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 2, 2013 3:34 AM

R66 Anselmo is very well endowed. He waved it around in either their 'Cowboys from Hell' Home Video back in 1991 or the 'Vulgar Videos' videocassette back in 1992. I can't remember which, but he is definitely packing. It's no rumor, it's fact.

by Anonymousreply 67November 2, 2013 3:42 AM

r21, I'd add John Lowery to the genuinely bisexual list as well. I'm also glad I'm not the only one to think that Randy Rhoades pinged.

The weirdest rumour I heard re: Phil Anselmo was not that he was gay, but that he and Darryl were an item.

by Anonymousreply 68November 2, 2013 3:42 AM

More Phil.

by Anonymousreply 69November 2, 2013 3:43 AM

Sebastian Bach's Rolling Stone cover screams GAY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 2, 2013 3:46 AM

I can definitely believe the Anselmo/Dimebag thing, R68. You've got to remember, they are Texas boys. There are lots of gay metal boys in Texas. I am proud to be one of them.

Note: Darrell also shows his cock in the same video as Anselmo. He was nicely endowed too. Not huge like Anselmo, but he had a nice cock. It's too bad he let himself get fat the last few years of his life.

by Anonymousreply 71November 2, 2013 3:48 AM

Not hair metal, but I've heard stories about Scott Weiland formerly lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots. He had his moments where he was hot. Robert Deleo from the group was a hottie too.

by Anonymousreply 72November 2, 2013 3:51 AM

Like an earlier poster said, "Sebastian Bach is not gay... he's a woman." Especially since the "cosmetic surgery" on his face (check out a recent interview on YouTube). He looks like he's undergoing a sex change (not that there's anything wrong with that).

by Anonymousreply 73November 2, 2013 3:52 AM

r71, that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of that was alcohol. All of them were huge drinkers, but Dimebag was exceptional.

Anselmo is still drinking...I don't know how he survived to this point. I wonder if it's the pressure of the closet that kept him on the bottle. Nevertheless, this is one of my favourite pics of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 2, 2013 3:58 AM

The funny thing is that most people would think the hair bands were the gay ones and the harder and thrashier bands were the straight ones, but I have heard of so many of the heavier band members being gay and most of the hair band guys were pussy-pounders. LOL.

I heard there were quite a few gay/bi guys in that mid-'80s thrash/speed metal scene. I never heard too many names, but I can believe it. Someone even told me, don't know if it's true, that King Diamond is gay. I actually believe that one.

by Anonymousreply 75November 2, 2013 4:01 AM

So Phil is off meds and heroin and staying with pot and beer. He looks pretty healthy, considering.

by Anonymousreply 76November 2, 2013 4:03 AM

Bradlee Dean has to be gay. No straight man thinks about gay sex as often as he does.

by Anonymousreply 77November 2, 2013 4:13 AM

I always believed that, if Freddie Mercury and David Lee Roth had had a one-night stand back in the day, Roth would have been the bottom. I picture Roth being a total bottom cock-whore.

My sister used to be obsessed with DLR. I remember back in the early '80s (when we were watching Van Halen videos on MTV and Night Flight) that I would tell her that I had a better chance of getting him in bed than she did. It would piss her off. Now, even she believes he's gay.

As popular as Van Halen were in the Roth-era (1978-1985), he would have had every starlet in Hollywood (Brooke Shields, Victoria Principle, Heather Locklear, Heather Thomas, etc.) on his arm, if he had been straight.

You NEVER saw him with a woman on an actual date on TV gossip shows or never saw him in the tabloids like Eddie VH and Valerie were. Most people just took his word for it that he was a chick loving cocksman. I never, for even a minute, bought the idea that he was heterosexual, even when their first LP came out when I was 11.

When you did see Roth with women (in music videos, etc.), it always seemed so staged and phony. Even my straight older brothers thought Roth was "a fag." I loved the Roth era of VH and, if he's gay, I wish he would come out. Rock fans accepted Halford, Elton, and others. I think even most of Van Halen's loyalest and straightest fans are convinced DLR is gay. He should just rock on with his bad self and come out.

by Anonymousreply 78November 2, 2013 4:21 AM

I would have paid good money to watch a David Lee Roth/Paul Stanley sex tape back in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 79November 2, 2013 4:27 AM

R79, Me, too! I would have paid even more to have seen a Phil Anselmo/Dimebag Darrell tape in the '90s. Maybe a video of Phil and Dime tag-teaming Chris Cornell from Soundgarden. That would have been hot, lol.

by Anonymousreply 80November 2, 2013 4:31 AM

R80, A good sex tape would have been Rob Halford and Joan Jett double-fisting Ted Nugent's prolapsed asshole.

by Anonymousreply 81November 2, 2013 4:34 AM

r80, fuck yeah on the Anselmo/Cornell hook up.

Anselmo was hot as hell when young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 2, 2013 4:40 AM

Wow, if Pantera's Dimebag and Phil were lovers, that would be shocking. I wonder if Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill from that other Texas band, ZZ Top, ever sampled the man-love with each other. Wouldn't that have been a sight?

by Anonymousreply 83November 2, 2013 4:41 AM

R81 LOL. Sick! I love it.

by Anonymousreply 84November 2, 2013 4:47 AM

I always loved Dokken. They were kind of a hair band, but they had a lot more talent than your average Poison or Warrant. There was always a huge feud going on between the singer Don Dokken and the lead guitarist, George Lynch. I don't know whether the feud was real or manufactured by their publicists but I always wanted to see Lynch hate-fuck Dokken right up his uptight ass. They were both good looking guys so it would have been hot.

by Anonymousreply 85November 2, 2013 4:51 AM

R85 - I just thought of Dokken for the first time in years last week. I was watching horror movies, to get in the Halloween spirit, and one of the movies I watched was "A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors" - Dokken did two songs in that movie, "Into The Fire" and the title song, "Dream Warriors."

I was rocking out when those songs played on the DVD. I got to thinking how much I had loved Dokken back in the 1980s (I saw them open for Judas Priest in 1986). That was the best concert I ever saw. They were my two favorite bands.

by Anonymousreply 86November 2, 2013 4:57 AM

Lars Ulrich has to be bisexual. I have heard stories of his exploits with women but he just pings for me.

by Anonymousreply 87November 2, 2013 5:00 AM

[quote]"Did he just burn out on the pussy, or what?"

Shit, that's fucking hilarious. I woke up my boyfriend from laughing!!

Loving this thread. Any screen shots of Anselmo's cock?

by Anonymousreply 88November 2, 2013 5:03 AM

I always thought Bon Scott, though far from being a hair band singer, was bisexual. I know the band name was "AC/DC" but he always blipped on my gaydar. He was phenomenal. Brian Johnson, the replacement in AC/DC after Bon's death, does not ping at all for me.

I love Brian. I actually met him in Florida a few years ago and he is a great guy. He and I talked for 45 minutes. He loves cars and so do I. Brian is so cool. Not a trace of "rock star attitude" (and this is a guy who has sang on albums that have sold in the hundreds of millions of copies all over the world).

by Anonymousreply 89November 2, 2013 5:06 AM

I have to know now. Is Klaus from the Scorpions gay? They used to be my favorite band (circa 1978 to 1991). I never even thought about him being into the "love that dares not speak its name." I must know, damn it!

by Anonymousreply 90November 2, 2013 5:19 AM

Not really a hair band (well at least at the time of the events of which I am speaking), but Ace and Peter from KISS used to, according to a recent biography, suck each other off when they were bored out on the road in the '70s.

In another book, written by none other than Peter Criss himself, Criss admits that Frehley was bisexual and confirmed that Ace sucked him off on at least one occasion (during a threesome with a famous female groupie).

According to Criss, Ace would fuck anything that moved in the '70s, be it female OR male.

by Anonymousreply 91November 2, 2013 5:25 AM

I long suspected that Paul Stanley was gay or bi but when I saw the video for "Let's Put The X In Sex" in 1988, all doubts were removed. Hot chicks in the video, or not, he was flaming like Satan's fireplace on a Winter night.

by Anonymousreply 92November 2, 2013 5:31 AM

Glenn Danzig - not a hair metaller - always came across as an angry little closet case. I love his music, whether with Misfits, Samhain, or Danzig, but he seems to be closeted and miserable. He probably has a little dick too.

by Anonymousreply 93November 2, 2013 5:36 AM

So I guess Gene Simmons is the only straight guy in Kiss? I would be mortified to find out that Gene had experienced any type of same-sex love. He is sooooo disgusting and ugly. Did you ever see his sex tape with that hooker? God, that was the most mechanical and boring sex I have ever seen. He was like a robot, just laying there and making her do all the work. He always used to brag about how his tongue was big but nowhere near as big as his cock.. well, the video showed that to be a lie. Very average.

by Anonymousreply 94November 2, 2013 5:42 AM

R92, Damn, I had forgotten about 'Let's Put the X in Sex.' That was dreadful. I was obsessed with KISS in the '70s but they lost me in the early '80s with a couple of terrible pop albums. Then they came back hot and heavy with a couple of classic albums, 'Creatures of the Night' and 'Lick it Up.' After that, I thought 'Animalize' and 'Asylum' were decent, but then they lost me again when they went 'hair metal' in '87. I never liked 'X in Sex' but I remember it was a huge hit on MTV around the late part of '88. Paul was pinging like a mother fucker in that lame-ass video.

by Anonymousreply 95November 2, 2013 5:50 AM

I have always heard that Jay Jay French, the lead guitarist in Twisted Sister, was gay. Does anyone know if that's true? I heard that as far back as Stay Hungry in '84.

by Anonymousreply 96November 2, 2013 5:54 AM

R94 I saw Gene's sex tape online a few years ago. I have had nightmares ever since. Ugh.

It wouldn't surprise me if most, or all, of Kiss' members were gay or bi. Remember, their original manager (from 1973-1982) was Bill Aucoin. He was as queer as a three dollar bill. Aucoin's lover, Sean Delaney, was also instrumental in Kiss' early success.

In the '70s, Kiss was the flagship band on Casablanca Records (also the home of Donna Summer, Angel, and the Village People). Most of the executives at Casablanca were homosexual and most of the bands/acts signed to the label were either gay, bi or very gay friendly. So, anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 97November 2, 2013 6:00 AM

R96, Someone told me years ago that Jay Jay French was openly gay but I have never seen anything to confirm it. He'll forever be cool for the song "You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll" alone. I loved that song. I never was a huge Twisted Sister fan but I did love that song.

by Anonymousreply 98November 2, 2013 6:09 AM

That Vinnie Vincent guy, who was the lead guitarist in Kiss for the Lick It Up album and tour, pinged for me more than Paul Stanley, Bronski Beat, Baltimora & Wham! put together. He looked, walked and talked like a REALLY ugly woman (watch the Lick It Up or All Hell's Breaking Loose music videos for proof).

Prior to Kiss, he was the guitarist in Dan Hartman's band and played on his late seventies disco hits "Instant Replay" and "Relight My Fire". Hartman was openly gay and died from AIDS in the early '90s. Vinnie made Paul Stanley look butch in comparison. Surprisingly, Vincent was married to two different women, so I guess he's a Lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 99November 2, 2013 6:19 AM

I would loved to have sucked Phil Anselmo's cock and fucked his ass, circa 1990-1993. After that period he got deep into heroin and looked horrific for years. He was rather studly back then. He and Halford hung out quite a bit during that time period. I wonder if Rob ever sampled the goodies. Maybe Phil was the "Painkiller" that Rob was singing about.

by Anonymousreply 100November 2, 2013 6:27 AM

R62, I had a huge thing for Rik Emmett of Triumph. MTV used to play a shitload of their videos in that '81-'83 period (Magic Power, Lay It On The Line, Fight The Good Fight, Hold On, Allied Forces, Say Goodbye, Never Surrender, When The Lights Go Down, A World of Fantasy, etc.). I loved Triumph.

Rik Emmett was a major babe. I had a thing for blond rocker guys back then. Triumph were very popular then but almost forgotten now. I know they were bigger in their home country, Canada, but they were huge in the U.S. for a brief shining moment. I know that had a couple of Gold albums and at least one Platinum album here.

Not only was Emmett cute, but he was an amazing guitarist and a terrific singer. Yum. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who appreciated him back in the day. I think he's straight but if he ever wants to try something from the other side of the fence, I'm game.

by Anonymousreply 101November 2, 2013 6:54 AM

DLR is now almost 60, rarely stops talking, has written at least one autobiography and yet has STILL never come out. What's he waiting for to play that card?

r15 - Is EVH really homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 102November 2, 2013 7:02 AM

I love that there's so many metal fans here.

by Anonymousreply 103November 2, 2013 7:03 AM

R102 I really don't think Eddie or Alex Van Halen are homophobic. After all, they have had two vocalists (Roth and Cherrone) who are rumored to be Gee-Aye-Why. I have read interviews with them and they seem to be pretty open minded about gays. Some of their lyrics in songs and some of their music videos tend to be supportive of gays. I would say that Eddie and Alex are not homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 104November 2, 2013 7:11 AM

Phil Anselmo's cock?!? Anybody??? There HAS to be a screen shot somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 105November 2, 2013 7:14 AM

r104 - Thanks. Although DLR himself might be a little self-loathing. Or just delusional that people still care about him as a hetero sex symbol:

[quote]Roth shed some light on his romantic life after laughing off rumors that he's been involved in a long-term gay relationship for years. "I've lived alone my whole adult life," he said. "I've had girlfriends, I've had love affairs. Never longer than a year and a half. I'm the drunk who won the lottery, I'm going to be very difficult to convince of a lot of traditional things. I put off getting married when I found out, oh, you don't really have to. I just saw somebody discussing this recently, I think Gloria Steinem — same thing as her life story. There's a lot of us out there."

Though he doesn't actually say he's NOT gay, just that he's not in a gay ltr and has had GFs over the years. Don't we all have "girlfriends?"

by Anonymousreply 106November 2, 2013 7:19 AM

r104, EVH may or may not be homophobic, but he's so far up his own ass, it's hard to tell.

He's an over-rated douchebag who let the jerk off guitar god fantasies of all his loser bedroom guitarist fans to go to his head.

He's fucked people over a lot who didn't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 107November 2, 2013 7:32 AM

R107 I do agree that he has fucked over a lot of people (David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, Gary Cherrone, Valerie Bertinelli, Michael Anthony to name a few) but I don't think he is over-rated as a guitarist. The man has many personality flaws but he is an amazing guitarist, easily one of the best ever.

It's the same with Ted Nugent. I cannot stand the man's politics and I disagree with 95% of the crap that comes out of his mouth when he speaks, but he is still an incredible guitarist and I love his old music (pre-1980).

by Anonymousreply 108November 2, 2013 8:06 AM

Gay or not, I love David Lee Roth's music with Van Halen. He's not a great singer, but the albums he recorded with VH were all terrific. Van Halen, Van Halen II, Women And Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down, and MCMLXXXIV were all amazing albums. Their reunion album last year, A Different Kind of Truth, was an absolutely phenomenal album.

I liked a little of the Hagar and Cherrone material. Both were technically better singers than Roth, but something was missing on their albums. Roth's albums with VH have a spark that the others just don't have.

by Anonymousreply 109November 2, 2013 8:13 AM

Is Gene Simmons a top or a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 110November 2, 2013 9:30 AM

R110, If that creep Simmons were gay he would have to be a top. He's such a tightass that no one would ever be able to get their dick in, no matter how much lube they used. Plus, you wouldn't get very far in, since he has that huge stick up his ass. Gene Simmons is the epitome of the word asshole. If not for Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley and, to a lesser extent, Peter Criss and their talent, Gene would be working at a car wash, mopping men's room floors or delivering pizzas right now.

by Anonymousreply 111November 2, 2013 9:59 AM

Other way around, r111.

As much as the guy is an asshole, he is the ambition behind the band and its tacky merchandizing.

It's also not a real band to me because they suck; none of them would've gotten out of NYC without a gimmick. (This is especially true of a non-punk band with their low talent level.)

by Anonymousreply 112November 2, 2013 1:22 PM

r108, I was a guitarist before I hurt my spine, and believe me, he sucks. One of the most over-rated guitarists ever, so is Clapton.

Other guitarists have taken quiet shots at him over the years, but not too loudly. He's apparently quite the vindictive dick.

The vast majority of those who ID as shredders are pumping nylon geeks on steroids who use technique to get fucked or for money. They're not real musicians.

by Anonymousreply 113November 2, 2013 1:33 PM

R112, It's true that Kiss were not the greatest musicians in the '70s but they did know how to write great, catchy songs within their limitations (just like The Ramones). I loved Kiss from 1974-1977 and I think those albums and songs still stand up quite well today. Later on, they began to become pretentious and began to think they were more talented than they were.

Oddly, every guitarist they had after Ace Frehley was technically a better guitarist than he was, but he had the perfect sound and style for the band. No one could imitate it. To me, Kiss without Ace is not Kiss. He was a stoner and a drunk, but he (along with Paul Stanley, the best writer of the group) was the heart and soul of their sound.

by Anonymousreply 114November 2, 2013 5:00 PM

KISS always knew how to throw a party. Their concerts were always awesome and spectacular. I saw KISS live 3 times in the '70s, during their first makeup era, 4 times in the '80s, in their non-makeup era and 4 times after the reunion of the original band in 1996.

I think their music was great. Songs like "Strutter", "Black Diamond", "Cold Gin", "Parasite", "She", "Rock And Roll All Nite", "Detroit Rock City", "King Of The Night Time World", "Love Gun", "I Was Made For Lovin' You", "I Love It Loud", "Lick It Up", and "Heaven's On Fire" still hold up well and still get me singing along in the car.

I think their first live album, "Alive!" is one of the ten best (maybe even five best) rock and roll albums EVER.

by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2013 5:20 PM

"I'm a thinger. She'th a danthur/I'm a Capricorn and she's a Canthuh/She thaw my pic-chuh in a muthic magazeeeeen!"

Kiss were great when they were glam, straight up shit when they went hair metal. Gene is disgusting and ruined the fun.

by Anonymousreply 116November 2, 2013 5:27 PM

By the age of 16, I had always ignored metal and thought that heavy metal fans were a bunch of stereotypical stoners, losers and douchebags. Right after my 16th Birthday in 1982, I went to work in a record store at our local mall (one of those huge record store chains). It didn't pay much, but it was the single best job I ever had. So much fun.

At the time I started, I was into Devo, The Go-Go's, A Flock of Seagulls, etc. I thought metal was so juvenile. I worked with two really cool rocker guys who played in a local metal band. They were always playing metal on the store sound system. I can remember my shock when I heard Iron Maiden's "The Number Of The Beast", Judas Priest's "Screaming For Vengeance" and Scorpions' "Blackout" albums over the sound system for the first time. I was blown away.

I realized how fun and intricate and complex a lot of metal was. I still loved my Duran Duran, Human League and Psychedelic Furs but I soon liked Maiden, Priest, AC/DC and Scorpions better. I remember falling in love with Motley Crue's first album "Too Fast For Love" in the late Summer of '82.

My gay friends were horrified. They were all into New Wave and post-disco dance music. I worked at the store for 3 years and met quite a few of the up and coming bands (Dio, Ratt, Motley Crue, Dokken, Metallica, Queensryche, W.A.S.P., Y & T, Autograph, Yngwie Malmsteen, King Kobra, Armored Saint) when they visited our store for record signings. Most of the guys were really cool. Quite a few of them had obvious chemical dependency problems but I guess that was part of the game. LOL.

The only ones who pinged for me were Stephen Pearcy from Ratt, several members of Autograph and a member or two from King Kobra. There are times that I would love to go back in time and work in that store again as it was then ('82 to '85). It changed my attitudes about metal and metal fans. I have been a metal guy ever since.

by Anonymousreply 117November 2, 2013 5:36 PM

[quote]As popular as Van Halen were in the Roth-era (1978-1985), he would have had every starlet in Hollywood (Brooke Shields, Victoria Principle, Heather Locklear, Heather Thomas, etc.) on his arm, if he had been straight.

The only woman I know of who definitively dated David Lee Roth is Apollonia Kotero from "Purple Rain". She dated him in the early '80s, and once said that he visited her on the set of Ray Parker Jr.'s "The Other Woman" video that she starred in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 2, 2013 5:40 PM

For as much of an asshole as he was/is, I would've loved a crack at Axl. His ass/bulge was always divine in those biker spandex shorts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 2, 2013 5:45 PM

R116, You made me laugh, Ghost of Eric. I love your interpretation of "C'mon And Love Me." You got Paul Stanley's inflections down perfectly.

Incidentally, I met Eric Carr around the time they did the "Animalize" Tour in '84-'85. He was a really nice and funny guy. He had a girlfriend but he also had "gay-voice" from hell. I wondered if he might be gay or bi. He was an amazing drummer too.

by Anonymousreply 120November 2, 2013 5:45 PM

Nugent may be the king of douchebags, but dammit was he fuckable back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 2, 2013 5:50 PM

R121, Yes he was very fuckable. I loved his music so much in the '70s (Stranglehold, Stormtroopin', Motor City Madhouse, Free For All, Cat Scratch Fever and lots more). His concerts were among the best I have ever seen. I saw Nugent open for Kiss in 1975 and they were both amazing.

I met Nugent here in Texas around 1984. He had a hunting lease near my small hometown and I ran into him in town quite often. He was always very friendly, always remembered my name and was always articulate, intelligent and hilarious. I was (and am) very obviously gay and he never seemed to have any problem with it. I thought Nuge was totally cool back then.

I never saw any indication that he was such a right-winger back then. As a matter of fact, someone told me (or I read) that he didn't go all right-wing until the early '90s.

by Anonymousreply 122November 2, 2013 5:55 PM

I would have totally given it up for The Nuge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 2, 2013 6:00 PM

Good God, I had forgotten how faggy Stephen Pearcy was. I remember seeing all those videos like Round and Round, Back For More and Lay It Down on MTV in the Eighties and my friends and I used to always make comments about him when one of Ratt's videos would play.

One that I don't think was gay, but I had a major thing for, was Ozzy's guitarist during the 'Bark at the Moon' and 'Ultimate Sin' era (1983-1986). His stage name was Jake E. Lee and he was part Asian. He was sex on wheels. He was Ozzy's forgotten guitarist. He was very good but when he left the band in '87 he was on bad terms with Sharon. He re-emerged in a really good hair band called Badlands who had some success on MTV from '89 to '91, but then he disappeared. Ozzy and Sharon never speak of him now. It's almost like he never existed.

The first time I saw Jake was when MTV and Showtime aired the 1983 US Festival and I thought, "Holy fuck! Who the fuck is that hottie?" I would have fuck his ass ten ways to Sunday!

by Anonymousreply 124November 2, 2013 6:07 PM

R124 - Jake E Lee was something else. Very sexy. I would love to think that he and Kirk Hammett got it on during the Ozzy/Metallica Tour in 1986. I loved his guitar work with Ozzy.

I remember Badlands. They were very good. I loved their "Winter's Call", "Dreams In The Dark" and "The Last Time" videos on M.T.V. I thought Jake and the singer, Ray Gillen were fucking hot. Ray Gillen died from AIDS in 1993. I had heard that he was gay, though most headbangers prefer, for some reason, to believe that he was an I.V. drug abuser. Why they would rather believe that I don't know.

Still, I heard from pretty good authority that Gillen was gay, bi at the very least. I made have to dig out my old Badlands CD's. I had almost forgotten about them. They were very good. Their drummer was Eric Singer (who now dresses up in Peter Criss' Kitty-Cat Costume in Kiss).

by Anonymousreply 125November 2, 2013 6:17 PM

I just watched those Badlands videos you mentioned on YouTube, R125. I had heard a couple of Lee's songs from his Ozzy-era but I had never even heard of Badlands. They were pretty good. That singer was fucking fine. He and Lee were both super hot. I don't know how I missed that band back then. I used to listen to lots of metal and hair bands back then. I guess there were so many that a few good ones slipped under my radar.

by Anonymousreply 126November 2, 2013 6:28 PM

Yeah, R123. I would have given it up for the Nuge too. I hate to say it, but he was a thing of beauty back then. I used to stare at the headshot on the back cover of his 1978 album "Weekend Warriors" and think, "Damn! I wanna ride that fucker all night long!" I'm sure my little 13 year old ass jerked off to that photo more than a few times. He was fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2013 6:36 PM

Anyone remember King's X? They had a moderate hit with "Over My Head." The lead singer Doug Pinnick is African-American and an out gay man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2013 6:36 PM

[quote]I used to stare at the headshot on the back cover of his 1978 album "Weekend Warriors" and think, "Damn! I wanna ride that fucker all night long!"

Oh yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 2, 2013 6:41 PM

R128, I remember them quite well. They were very good. Very unique, as well. No one sounded like them. Pinnick was quite the metal anomaly. He was African-American, Christian, Gay and from Houston, Texas. What a combination. Kings-X was amazing. I had a couple of their CDs in the late-1980s and early-1990s. Money well spent.

by Anonymousreply 130November 2, 2013 6:44 PM

There seems to be a lot of you gay metalheads in Texas. I guess that state has something going for it after all.

by Anonymousreply 131November 2, 2013 6:56 PM

Add me to the list of gay rockers that had a huge crush on Ted Nugent in the '70s. He was far from being hair metal (well, at least until he and Tommy Shaw put Damn Yankees together in the late '80s/early '90s).

I had a huge poster of Da Nuge (in only a loin cloth) on my wall in my teens. I also had the Scream Dream album cover on my closet door. He sure looked good in tight pants too. I was a major Nugent fan in my youth.

As a young teen, I jerked off to Playgirl magazines that I swiped from my mom and pictures of Ted Nugent in various states of undress. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 132November 2, 2013 6:58 PM

Circa 1982 and 1983, I had a thing for Aldo Nova. He was a short little, good-looking Canadian proto-hairmetal rocker. He had a several huge hits during those two years: "Fantasy" (his biggest hit single in the Spring of 1982), "Ball & Chain" (1982) and "Money On Your Back" (1983) - all with accompanying, often-played videos on MTV. I would have totally done him.

Another cutie, already mentioned - and not hair metal, was Billy Squier. I wanted to bend him over and fuck his ass a hundred different ways. I would have definitely given him "The Stroke" "In the Dark", because he was definitely "My Kinda Lover." He left me "Too Daze Gone". It would be "Lonely Is The Night" for neither one of us anymore. He was very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 133November 2, 2013 7:07 PM

NNUUUUGGGGEEEE!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 2, 2013 7:10 PM

R133 here. I meant to say 'hits during those two years: "Fantasy" (his biggest hit single in the Spring of 1982), "Ball & Chain" (1982) and "MONKEY On Your Back" (1983)'

by Anonymousreply 135November 2, 2013 7:17 PM

Aldo Nova's "Fantasy" is a great song. A totally hot guy who works at my job (and who's in a rock cover band by night) does lead vocals on a cover of "Fantasy", and it only makes me lust for him even more whenever I see him on the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 2, 2013 7:24 PM

I wonder if there was a thong or nothing at all under that loincloth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 2, 2013 7:27 PM

Kip Winger could have gotten it all night long with his sexy self

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 2, 2013 7:30 PM

R133, I had forgotten all about Aldo. What a pocket-cutie. I think he is straight but I'm am not sure.

Billy Squier, on the other hand? To me, there is about a 0% chance that he is straight. That man pinged louder than Freddie Mercury and Little Richard combined. I remember seeing "The Stroke" video on MTV back in the summer of '81 and my first thoughts were: "Now, that guy is hot. He looks great in those tight, faded jeans" and "My, God! Look at that dancing. What a homo! He is DEFINITELY family."

Of course, it did not surprise me one bit that Squier ended up opening for Queen on Queen's Hot Space Tour in 1982. I wonder if Squier and Mercury hooked up. I'm sure they did! Squier was very cute.

by Anonymousreply 139November 2, 2013 7:35 PM

Geoff Tate was gorgeous, and exuded a sort of homo/masuclinity thing that was hot. He's completely bald now, but still very sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2013 7:40 PM

Did any of those guys in that Christian band Stryper ever come out? They were sooooo femme.

by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2013 7:44 PM

I was a 14 year old young gay boy when we first got MTV on our cable system in the Fall of 1981. Most of the gay boys I knew got deep into new wave and new romantic stuff with the emergence of MTV. I got into rock and metal.

I still remember a ton of great hard rock and metal videos that fall of 1981. I fell for at least one guy in each band.

Ted Nugent (Land of 1000 Dances)

Judas Priest (Heading Out To The Highway and Hot Rockin')

Iron Maiden (Wrathchild)

Billy Squier (In The Dark, My Kinda Lover, The Stroke)

Van Halen (Mean Street, So This Is Love, Unchained, Hear About it Later)

Rush (Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta - mmm Alex Lifeson)

Styx (Too Much Time On My Hands, The Best Of Times)

Pat Benatar (her husband, the guitarist, was fucking GORGEOUS - Fire And Ice, Promises In The Dark)

April Wine (Sign Of The Gyspy Queen, Just Between You And Me)

Def Leppard (Let It Go, Bringing On The Heartbreak)

Loverboy (Turn Me Loose, The Kid Is Hot Tonite)

That's when I fell for rocker dudes. I dated quite a few guys in local metal and hair bands in the late '80s and early '90s. There were LOTS of gay and bisexual guys in bands.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2013 7:47 PM

Aldo Nova and Triumph? JFC, I didn't think anybody in Canada would remember them, let alone south of the border.

I remember them vaguely, but they were a bit before my time.

Trooper were another good bad no one remembers now.

On topic, I think a lot more of them are genuinely bi than gay.

by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2013 7:55 PM

R141 None of them ever came out but they were gayer than a box of caftans. I remember the first time I ever heard of them was on USA Network's Night Flight, circa 1985. They played a video of theirs called Soldiers Under Command and in the middle of the video it showed the band tossing bibles in the crowd. My friends and I were laughing our asses off. It was hysterical.

They were a god-awful band. Those shrill, shrieking vocals. Puke. They looked even more ridiculous... in all that yellow and black striped Spandex. They looked like gay bumblebees.

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2013 7:57 PM

I remember I used to think Stryper's "Honestly" was sung by a black woman. That song was a good song--it had soul.

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2013 8:03 PM

r144, they all looked ridiculous to me.

I died laughing when I saw the early Pantera photos.

As much as Anselmo is an asshole, he turned them away from that. For that alone, he gets a pass.

Well, that & he is also incredibly charismatic with monster cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2013 8:03 PM

R142 - You mentioned Judas Priest's "Hot Rockin'" video. I had heard JP on the radio for years but had never seen them on TV until we got M.T.V. - "Hot Rockin'" was the first Priest video I ever saw. From the moment it played I knew, I JUST KNEW, that at least some of the members of that band were gay.

I love the video but it is gayer than any Village People or Bronski Beat video. "Heading Out To The Highway" was a pretty gay video too. The other video from the album, "Don't Go" was the REALLY gay one. Halford looks like he just stepped out of the Castro in that one.

LOL, M.T.V. outed Halford long before he outed himself. Those videos. Remember "Turbo Lover" from '86? Great song... but GAYYYYYY video!

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2013 8:05 PM

R147 I am a huge Priest fan but I had not seen that Hot Rockin' video for decades. I just pulled it up and watched it. Wow. How could their straight fans not have known? Were they that naïve? I loved that Point of Entry album (though a lot of hardcore Priest fans don't). When I got my first car that year, my buddy (also gay) and I would crank Hot Rockin' and at the chorus we would loudly sing, "I wanna go, I wanna go, I wanna go 'BUTT FUCKIN'" It was hilarious and it fit so appropriately. I miss you Brian! LOL.

On a side note, Halford was hot in that video. I would have totally invaded that shower room and hot rocked him all night long. Long live the Priest. Also, I am 100% convinced that KK Downing is gay too. He just pings too loudly not to be. Of course, I knew Holland was, just by looking at him. Tipton and Hill, I'm unsure about. They could be straight. I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 148November 2, 2013 8:12 PM

R140 I was a huge Queensryche fan from their first EP in '83 through Operation: Mindcrime in '88. They lost me with that Empire sellout pop crap in '90. I remember being shocked to find out that all of the members of Queensryche were married, family men. Shocked, because I assumed from the first time I saw their 'Take Hold of the Flame(r)" video back in '84 that they were as gay as Freddie Mercury. Plus the name, QUEENSryche, had me wondering as well.

The Warning, Rage for Order & Operation: Mindcrime were three of my favorite albums of the 1980s. They were great live too.

by Anonymousreply 149November 2, 2013 8:25 PM

Early on I had assumed that Queensryche were gay too. It wasn't until the 1990s, after they hit the real big-time, that I heard they were all married, with kids (not that that means they're straight, but...). They always came across as prissy in their interviews. They were a great band for a while though. By the late 1990's they had totally lost it and their albums began to suck hard.

by Anonymousreply 150November 2, 2013 8:37 PM

Around 1985/1986 there was a mid-level hair metal band called Black 'n' Blue. They were okay and had a couple of decent songs but several members of that band were as gay as the guy that sang Tarzan Boy. The singer had to have been gay. He was soooooo queeny.

by Anonymousreply 151November 2, 2013 8:41 PM

Didn't magician Criss Angel used to be in a rock band? He comes off as family too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 2, 2013 8:47 PM

R151, I remember that group from the mid-80s. I thought they were pretty dreadful. I do remember their video for a song called "Hold On To 18" - that singer was O.D.-ing on estrogen, jumping around like a cheerleader. He seemed like a Paul Stanley wannabe. Ironically, their guitarist Tommy Thayer is now the guy pretender to be Ace Frehley in the current incarnation of KISS.

by Anonymousreply 153November 2, 2013 8:47 PM

I am ashamed to say this, but add me to the list of guys that thought Ted Nugent was scorching hot way back when. I hate the man now, and every word that comes out of his Rethug mouth but he was sex on a stick long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

by Anonymousreply 154November 2, 2013 8:53 PM

You and my sister both, R149. She still loves Queensryche and follows the band. I even think that she is friends with the lead singer on FB haha. BTW I always thought that Chris DeGarmo was gay.

by Anonymousreply 155November 2, 2013 8:59 PM

R155 DeGarmo always pinged for me. Always. He was the best songwriter in the group and was a really nice guy. I met him, as well as the rest of the original band, several times. DeGarmo was always a class act. He always looked stoned though. I think he was a major pot-head.

I was suspicious that the whole group was either gay or switch-hitters but especially DeGarmo. I really liked him and I knew Queensryche were finished the second he walked out the door in 1998. I was right. They recorded nothing but crap after he left and they lost me a long time ago.

They were awesome though and Operation: Mindcrime (1988) is a brilliant fucking metal masterpiece that I still listen to often.

by Anonymousreply 156November 2, 2013 9:05 PM

Operation Mindcrime was pretty amazing. I always thought that it should have been made into a musical or something along those lines. My favorite album of theirs was Rage for Order, though. I still keep it on a heavy rotation.

R156 have you tried Geoff Tate's wine? It's really good.

by Anonymousreply 157November 2, 2013 9:15 PM

[142] name some guys in bands you had a relationship

by Anonymousreply 158November 2, 2013 9:25 PM

I think Rudy Sarzo is in Queensryche now.

by Anonymousreply 159November 3, 2013 2:00 PM

Love how Judas Priest slyly turned a JOAN BAEZ ballad - "Diamonds and Rust"- into one of their signature songs.

by Anonymousreply 160November 4, 2013 1:13 PM

R160 at 18, I was a huge fan of Baez's original version of "Diamonds and Rust" in 1975. A couple of years later, around 1977, I was my date's apartment one night and he put a stack of albums on the turntable. He had very eclectic taste. One of the albums was "Sin After Sin" by Judas Priest (who were quite underground and unknown at the time here in the U.S.). I was completely floored by Judas Priest's version. I have been a Judas Priest fan ever since.

The version on Priest's live album "Unleashed in the East" from 1979 is even better. I have all three versions on my iPod.

by Anonymousreply 161November 15, 2013 11:20 PM

R161 Priest's best version of Diamonds & Rust, in my opinion, was the slow version on their Rising in the East DVD. I get the chills every time I hear it. Halford is amazing on that version.

by Anonymousreply 162November 15, 2013 11:27 PM

When I was working for Warner Bros. Records in the '80s and '90s, I always heard that the gays were in the traditional metal and thrash bands and that the pussy-hounds were in the glammy, pop-metal, hair bands. I know there were lots of gay men in the San Francisco based thrash bands of the mid and late '80s. I know that for a fact.

Other than that, I have heard stories about some of the usual suspects mentioned in this thread: Roth, Stanley, Pearcy, Squier, etc. I knew about Halford many years before he came out.

by Anonymousreply 163November 16, 2013 3:12 AM

Those guys in Cinderella seemed kinda faggy.

by Anonymousreply 164November 16, 2013 3:35 AM

What about Ricky Nelson's twin sons in Nelson? They were more than a little suspect. I wonder if they dabbled in the homosex. I always thought Sebastian Bach (like that's his real name) was a flaming closet case. A self-loathing one at that. He looks like a transvestite or a she-male these days. Watch a recent interview. Rupaul ain't got nothin' on his ass.

by Anonymousreply 165November 16, 2013 4:02 AM

R165, Sebastian Bach's former band members HATE him with an undying passion. I read that they were offered huge bucks to reunite with him and they told the promoters to stick it up their asses and that they would NEVER let him back in the band. A lot of people hated him.

I have thought the same thing about his cosmetic surgery work. It looks more like a sex change (like Bruce Jenner) than a 'facelift'. Nasty.

by Anonymousreply 166November 16, 2013 4:06 AM

I hate Sebastian Bach. He DOES look womanly now. His collagen lips, Botox and facelift look terrible. He is a cunt of the highest order. I have a sincere feeling that his homophobia is actually "self-loathing." He is, undoubtedly, a closet case. He is too femme acting to be straight.

by Anonymousreply 167November 16, 2013 7:27 PM

Intersting, R159. I always thought that Sarzo was pretty hot.

by Anonymousreply 168November 16, 2013 7:34 PM

Purses fall from both CeCe Deville and Rikki Rockett from POISON's mouths whenever the speak.

by Anonymousreply 169November 16, 2013 10:02 PM

I would have loved to have fucked Rob Halford circa 1979-1989. He was hot as fuck. I think he was totally studly at Live Aid in 1985. Yum. He wasn't hair metal but he is my favorite singer of all time (along with Freddie Mercury - who also looked good at Live Aid), and Priest is this gay dude's favorite band ever. "Stained Class" from 1978 is my favorite rock album of all time.

by Anonymousreply 170November 16, 2013 10:13 PM

R170, Even before I knew for sure that Halford was gay, I had a huge '80s-style crush on Judas Priest's front line of Halford, Tipton and Downing. I am convinced that KK Downing is gay too. He pings loudly for me. I think Tipton is straight, though. Rob is fucking awesome. He is my fave singer, too.

by Anonymousreply 171November 16, 2013 10:17 PM

R169 Yes those two, if straight, are the queeniest two straight guys ever. Every time they open their mouths, purses (AND LIZA MINNELLI) fall out. They make me look butch and I am nowhere close to it. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 172November 16, 2013 10:20 PM

Hahaha R172! I wonder if Brett sampled them?

by Anonymousreply 173November 16, 2013 10:22 PM

I just have to chime in and say, "DAVID LEE ROTH AIN'T STRAIGHT." That guy is gay or my gay-dar is completely on the fritz. I have known he was one of us since the first time I saw him on TV way back when. Then, in interviews, when he would talk about all the pussy he was getting, the paternity insurance, etc., I knew for sure.

My gay-dar says the following are gay, whether they admit it or not:

David Lee Roth!!!!!, Tom Selleck, John Travolta, Paul Stanley, Richard Gere, Jake Gyllenhaal, CC Deville, Rikki Rocket, Stephen Pearcy. Gay! Gay!! Gay!!!

by Anonymousreply 174November 16, 2013 10:27 PM

R173, If he didn't then Jani Lane or Sebastian "Knob-Slobber" Bach probably did. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 175November 16, 2013 10:30 PM

If Tom Selleck were gay I'd STILL be the first in line to hit it.

by Anonymousreply 176November 16, 2013 10:31 PM

I know Robbin Crosby from Ratt had AIDS at the time of his death, though he died via suicide. Did he get it from IV drug use or receptive man sex? I think it was from shooting up but he looked kind of fey. Makes ya wonder.

by Anonymousreply 177November 16, 2013 10:33 PM

R177. I am pretty sure Crosby contracted AIDS from a dirty needle. He was a chronic heroin abuser and was tossed out of Ratt in 1990 because he was nearly non-functional. I did hear, however, that Ray Gillen (the sexy singer from Badlands that died of AIDS) did contract the disease from dabbling in the love that dares not speak its name. He was sexy. I would have definitely fucked Gillen. Crosby? Not so much.

R176, We would have to share him. LOL. I would be right at the front of the line to do Selleck as well. He's not anywhere near as hot now as he was in the '80s but I would still drink his bathwater. MMM.

by Anonymousreply 178November 16, 2013 10:38 PM

I thought several of the guys in Ratt were queer. I always thought Pearcy was a major queen of Freddie Mercury proportions. Also queenie were Robbin Crosby (maybe it was those lace blouses he wore) and the bassist Juan Croucier (he was rather prissy). They all seemed femmy, even though Pearcy out-queened them all.

by Anonymousreply 179November 16, 2013 10:43 PM

I was in a popular band (don't ask, I'm not gonna tell which one - no hints either) that toured with Ratt in the mid-1980s and if any of them were gay, they were VERY discreet about it. I know they had women all over them, everywhere they went. Though, so did I, and I am as gay as you can get.

Pearcy was a little "delicate", shall we say, but I know he was getting his tool slobbered on by a few lady-groupies on that tour. If there were men, I was not aware of them. Like I said, if any of them were banging dudes, I was unaware of it.

by Anonymousreply 180November 16, 2013 10:48 PM

Is Rikki Rocket the one whose supposed to have the huge cock?

by Anonymousreply 181November 16, 2013 10:49 PM

[quote]We would have to share him. LOL. I would be right at the front of the line to do Selleck as well. He's not anywhere near as hot now as he was in the '80s but I would still drink his bathwater. MMM.

He's still sexy as hell, just a mature kind of sexy. And that package...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 16, 2013 10:52 PM

R180, I'm sure a Google search could provide me with some big clues as to which band you were in. Were you out back then, or did you just find a way to avoid fucking chicks?

by Anonymousreply 183November 16, 2013 10:52 PM

Ronnie James Dio, I was a neighbor for a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 184November 16, 2013 10:52 PM

R184, I loved the dio-era Rainbow and Black Sabbath (and later his band, Dio) and worshipped Ronnie James Dio as a teen in the late-'70s and early-'80s and I often heard that he was gay. He was "married" for years to his "manager", Wendy. They quietly divorced in the early-'90s and she still called herself his "widow" in the years after he died. She was actually living with another man.

My older, straight, brother never believed the stories that he was gay. I heard them from a guy who knew someone who knew someone. I never knew if it was true, but I think he was very suspect. He was a brilliant singer, songwriter and showman. He did sing about "rainbows" a lot, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 185November 16, 2013 11:22 PM

R183, I was not out then. My record company, management and at least a couple of band members were adamant that I remain silent on the topic. If I had been asked point blank about my sexuality, I would have likely lied to the press to keep peace within the group. I was out among my friends and family. My band mates knew. A few people in other bands knew, but they were always cool with me.

It was a very different time. AIDS was running rampant, people were scared and homophobia was at an all time high, as a result of the AIDS situation. Our audience was mainly straight, teen boys so I wasn't about to jeopardize our standing at that time.

To answer your question: I did not pretend to be straight, but I did have women hanging all over me. People made assumptions that I was banging chicks left and right in orgies that would make Caligula blush, but the reality was that I was a very monogamous gay man who took his boyfriend on the road and I never, ever strayed from him.

I have not been a public figure for years and I feel no need to make a public statement because I would look like a pathetic washed-up '80s rocker who wants press and attention. I am retired from the public eye and want neither. If I were a public figure now, I would be out to the world. It is a better world for us now.

by Anonymousreply 186November 16, 2013 11:35 PM

Come on, R186. Tell us! Did your band have a big hit?

by Anonymousreply 187November 16, 2013 11:39 PM

R187, I said no hints. LOL. Last one. Yes, we had several Billboard hit singles and a couple of successful albums. We had three or four videos you likely saw on MTV if you had the channel in the '80s. We were very popular for a brief time. Let's just say we were successful enough that I made enough cash that I never have to work again if I choose not to. You are likely familiar with at least one of our songs, I'm sure. No more. I cannot say any more. Mork, from Ork, signing off...

by Anonymousreply 188November 16, 2013 11:45 PM

Ok, R188, you were likely either in Magnum, Kix, Britney Fox or Magnum.

by Anonymousreply 189November 17, 2013 12:00 AM

Wow. So many possibilities for R180/R186. I have a suspicion who he may be but I will keep my thoughts to myself. Bands Ratt toured with between 1984 and 1989 were: Billy Squier, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Lita Ford (not likely her), Bon Jovi, Poison, and finally Warrant. I may have missed a few but I think I know who R180/186 is. If so, I always suspected and was always a fan. Rock on!

by Anonymousreply 190November 17, 2013 12:04 AM

Why couldn't R180 had said "I was the lead singer in a band that was named after me and I often did pirouettes on stage and exposed my hirsute torso." I would have plotzed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191November 17, 2013 12:12 AM

Damn, R-190. That list makes it tough to guess. I have heard gay rumors about Billy Squier, two members of Twisted Sister, one member of Bon Jovi (not Jon or Richie), CC & Rikki from Poison, and Jani from Warrant. I assume it's not Jani, him being dead and all. I'm thinking either Billy Squier, Jay Jay French or CC/Rikki. This is fun.

by Anonymousreply 192November 17, 2013 12:16 AM

The entire band Quiet Riot, though ugly as sin (except for Rudy), pinged for me. Kevin, Frankie, Rudy and Carlos (not to mention original band member Randy Rhoads) pinged to high heaven. I could picture Kevin and Frankie as lovers. I always thought they were 'mos.

by Anonymousreply 193November 17, 2013 12:19 AM

Ratt also toured with Magnum, Kix, Britney Fox and Magnum during those times. I'm thinking it's likely a guy from one of those groups, since he said they were "very popular for a brief time."

by Anonymousreply 194November 17, 2013 12:22 AM

As a Lesbian teen, I always had a massive thing for Lita Ford. She was a hottie. I wonder if she and Joan Jett ever 'got down to business' in the Runaways. It's fun to think about. I know Joan and Cherie Curie did a little 'licky-licky' but it would be too much for me to handle if Lita has joined in. I would explode.

by Anonymousreply 195November 17, 2013 12:23 AM

Rikki Rocket was always pinging for me. Prior to Poison, Rocket was a hairdresser. He even styled the other 'boys in the bands' hair for them before they went on stage. Major 'mo.

by Anonymousreply 196November 17, 2013 12:25 AM

It was funny in the '80's to have metal heads (I loved metal too) say about The Smiths or whichever sensitive indie band, 'they're a bunch of fags!', whereupon I could retaliate by laughing my ass off at pouting slut-face Vince Neil, buttock-exposing David Lee Roth, Vinnie Vincent's cocksucking housewife face, throwing it right back at them (not that I cared, it was fun to shit on each other's favorite bands in the dawn of the music video era).

Back then, I assumed most metal heads of the time looked that way because 'hey, it's a living' and it was the current mode. I would compare these gay metal heads to the hip hop thugs of the '90's, acting like straight studs and slappin' those ho's etc, when we now know the majority are gay as fuck, many preferring trans women. The fake thugs were seriously misogynistic, though. The metal chicks were treated with some (sleazy) deference.

by Anonymousreply 197November 17, 2013 12:30 AM

'80s Rockers I have heard gay rumors about:

David Lee Roth (Van Halen)

Rob Halford, KK Downing, Dave Holland (Judas Priest - Halford confirmed to be gay)

Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John, Eric Carr (Kiss)

Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio, Heaven And Hell)

Billy Squier

Stephen Pearcy (Ratt)

Jay Jay French (Twisted Sister)

C.C. DeVille and Rikki Rocket (Poison)

Steve Vai (David Lee Roth, Whitesnake)

Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne)

Gary Cherrone (Extreme, Van Halen)

Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon)

Dennis DeYoung, James Young, Tommy Shaw, Chuck & John Panozzo (Styx - C. Panozzo confirmed)

Ray Gillen (Badlands)

Klaus Meine (Scorpions)

The entire band Autograph (of "Turn Up The Radio" fame).

Jani Lane (Warrant)

by Anonymousreply 198November 17, 2013 12:34 AM

I am just thankful that the guys in Motley Crue (especially fat old Vince Neil) are straight. I did read a rather interesting interview with Tommy Lee once where he did not rule out same-sex play. Vince is just gross now. He was kind of cute in the 1980s, but now he is just an overweight cow with a bad facelift.

by Anonymousreply 199November 17, 2013 12:42 AM

I always thought that Vince Neil had a mouth that looked like it was made to suck cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 17, 2013 12:48 AM

I went school with Vince Neil (real name: Vince Wharton). He was a nice guy (I had lots of classes with him and knew him pretty well) but as dumb as a box of rocks. Very, very heterosexual. He was kind of cute in high school and did not ping for me at all. I doubt he's ever sucked a cock. It would shock me if he had.

by Anonymousreply 201November 17, 2013 12:50 AM

What about all those thrash bands? Several of those bands had guys who pinged. Bands like Testament, Exodus. Kirk Hammett from Metallica always pinged for me. I have heard he's bi. Someone told me Lars is bi too. I wouldn't doubt it. King Diamond (that horrible, shrill beast) is also rumored to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 202November 17, 2013 12:58 AM

I don't know who was or is gay from that genre, but I know that my favorite song of the 1980s was Twisted Sister's ballad, "The Price" from "Stay Hungry" (1984). I had the music video recorded onto a videocassette and played it over and over and over.

I got my first car in the fall of '84 and I cranked that song religiously.

by Anonymousreply 203November 17, 2013 1:19 AM

Imagine how many cocks George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher from Cannibal Corpse could probably get down his throat at once with that thick neck of his.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204November 17, 2013 1:20 AM

I don't think Vinnie Vincent is gay, I think he is a woman. When he was in Kiss (1983-84), he made Paul Stanley seem butch.

by Anonymousreply 205November 17, 2013 2:14 AM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Geoff Tate and Chris DeGarmo from Queensryche pinged. Geoff really looks gay these days, with his shaved head and vest with no shirt. I always thought Geoff was a douche but I liked DeGarmo quite a bit. The band was over when he left in the late nineties.

by Anonymousreply 206November 17, 2013 2:24 AM

I really liked Anthrax in the late-'80s. I never picked up any gay vibes from them at all though. I'm pretty sure they were straight. I thought the bassist, Frank Bello, was kind of cute. Belladonna, the singer, always seemed a little weird to me, but I liked his voice.

by Anonymousreply 207November 17, 2013 2:33 AM

R189, I had forgotten about Kix. Back in high school I played the shit out of that "Blow My Fuse" cassette in my sweet old Mustang. I remember blasting "Cold Blood", "Blow My Fuse" and "Don't Close Your Eyes." I think that was in 1988, if memory serves.

That same year, I cranked Metallica's "And Justice For All", Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime", AC/DC's "Blow Up Your Video", Judas Priest's "Ram It Down", Iron Maiden's "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and, gulp, Van Halen's "OU812". I was one rocking gay metal boy back in the day. Some great music and some great memories.

by Anonymousreply 208November 17, 2013 2:48 AM

Why did you "gulp" VH's OU812, R208? That is one awesome fucking record. In my opinion, "When It's Love" is better than any Roth-era VH song, and is one of the best power ballads of all time.

by Anonymousreply 209November 17, 2013 2:50 AM

208, Kix were a very good band. They had several great albums before "Blow My Fuse." I loved "Midnite Dynamite" from '85. I must ask, like R209, why did you (gulp) before "OU812"? -that was a great 'Van Hagar era' album. I loved "Black & Blue", "Mine All Mine" and "When It's Love." I loved Hagar-era Van Halen. Roth too, but Hagar wasn't half bad.

by Anonymousreply 210November 17, 2013 2:56 AM

R208 here. LOL. I didn't mean to gulp before VH's "OU812" - I had originally put Kiss' "Crazy Nights" album (an album I liked back then, but it didn't age well with me like some of the great Kiss albums). I deleted it and put "OU812" which I still love. I forgot to delete the "gulp". LOL. Apologies to Eddie, Alex, Sammy and Mike.

by Anonymousreply 211November 17, 2013 3:03 AM

I loved Van Halen with both Roth and Hagar. They sounded like two different bands (Roth's albums were harder and heavier, Hagar's were poppier and less edgy - like a harder version of Journey) but both versions were terrific. I saw both versions live and both kicked major anus.

They only VH album I hated was the one they made with Gary Cherrone in 1998. Nothing against Cherrone, but the material was not up to par. I loved last year's reunion album with Roth (A Different Kind of Truth), it cooked.

by Anonymousreply 212November 17, 2013 3:09 AM

Same here. I loved every Van Halen album except the Cherrone one. Van Halen is my favorite band ever and I have seen them live 15 times (with both Roth and Hagar). They are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 213November 17, 2013 3:11 AM

I miss the '80s. Nothing against Nirvana and that ilk that came along in the '90s but they took all the fun away. Bands from the '80s sang about having fun, having a beer and living free. Nirvana, one of my favorite bands, came along and it was all, "I'm so sad. Mommy and daddy were mean to me. I think I'll cry and feel like shit. Think I'll slash my wrist" kind of depressing shit. I miss the fun in music, which has never come back.

As much as I loved Nirvana and Pearl Jam, when I want to feel good I'll put on some AC/DC, Van Halen, L.A. Guns or Guns N' Roses. Those take all my cares away and leave me smiling.

by Anonymousreply 214November 17, 2013 3:20 AM

I know what you mean, 214. The '80s had a vibe that I can't explain. All the music was happy and fun (save The Cure and The Smiths, who I also loved). Whether it was Guns & Roses, Madonna, Duran Duran or Van Halen, it was all happy and upbeat. I miss the happy vibe in the air back then.

I can remember walking into a dance club, a rock club, or a metal concert at an arena and feeling like a million bucks. The music of the '80s still makes me happy. It wasn't a perfect time (I was terrified of AIDS and was even more terrified of catching it) but I was so happy back then.

by Anonymousreply 215November 17, 2013 3:32 AM

R214 You mentioned L.A. Guns. I loved the shit out of them. I loved their song "Sex Action." They had a lot of great jams, "Never Enough", "One More Reason", "Rip & Tear", "Over The Edge" (from that cool Keanu and Swayze movie "Point Break"), etc. They rocked my world.

I doubt if anybody in Guns was gay but they were killer.

by Anonymousreply 216November 17, 2013 3:35 AM

Holy Shit! I haven't been on DL in almost a year. I opened it up, saw this thread and almost shot a load in my jeans. The only music threads I'm used to seeing on DL are ones about Barbra, Beyoncé, Mariah Scarey, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and Cher. I am so happy to see that there are other gay men that love rock. I know a few gay guys who like it, but most turn up their noses and go back to their ABBA and Lady Gaga CDs. This thread is awesome! Keep it comin'.

by Anonymousreply 217November 17, 2013 3:42 AM

I'm surprised Hanoi Rocks wasn't carefully evaluated.

by Anonymousreply 218November 17, 2013 3:45 AM

R216 - I loved that movie "Point Break" - it was my gay porn in high school in the early '90s. I had such a thing for Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze, Anthony Kiedis and a couple of the other surfer guys. I used toclose my bedroom door and beat off to that movie. The soundtrack was killer, LA Guns, Jimi Hendrix, Ratt, Sheryl Crow, etc. It was one of my favorite '90s movies.

by Anonymousreply 219November 17, 2013 3:47 AM

R218 Mike Monroe was quite the pretty boy. I was surprised they didn't make it bigger. They received a lot of music press but it never translated to big album sales. I dug them. I think they were all hetero though.

by Anonymousreply 220November 17, 2013 3:51 AM

I wish we could get some dirt on those sexy European metal bands...Europe, Hanoi Rocks, D-A-D. How about Ville Valo from HIM...Ville and Michael Monroe are two of the sexiest frontmen ever! Is Ville bi? Or is this just how they say "hello" in Finland?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221November 17, 2013 3:55 AM

Someone told me back in the '80s that John Norum, who was Europe's guitarist, was gay. I hope so, he was cute. So was Joey Tempest. If he had been gay, I would have done backflips. Ville Vallo is cute. I'd definitely do him.

by Anonymousreply 222November 17, 2013 4:05 AM

I remember seeing a Hanoi Rocks video on MTV around 1982 called "Motorvatin" and I thought they were going to be the next big thing. I'm still shocked that I was wrong. They ended up being a popular cult band but they should have been massive, in my humble opinion.

by Anonymousreply 223November 17, 2013 4:08 AM

Freddie Mercury and Rob Halford aren't really hair metal, but I'm a fan of theirs and I find this fanboy story Rob gave amusing:

[italic] There was also a motorbike challenge to Freddie Mercury, issued live on Radio 1. Halford was supposedly outraged by Freddie's disgraceful employment of a static motorbike in Queen's video for the Crazy Little Thing Called Love single. He suggested a motorbike race.

"I never heard back from him," says Halford. "Freddie is my ultimate hero. The closest I ever got to Freddie was in a gay bar in Athens on the way to Mykonos. We kind of glared at each other across the bar, in a kind of smiling, winking way. When we got to Mykonos I was determined to track him down, but I couldn't because he'd rented this huge yacht. It was festooned in pink balloons and it just kept sailing around the island. He's someone I wish I'd really met." [/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 17, 2013 4:23 AM

In the '80s, I was a huge "college rock" fan (The Smiths, New Order, R.E.M., The B-52's, etc.) but I still loved '80s metal, whether it was hair bands, traditional metal or thrash/speed metal. I just loved that era of metal. I loved everything from Ratt and Van Halen to Slayer and Metallica. There was so much variety. You could listen to Scorpions who sounded nothing like Judas Priest who sounded nothing like Slayer who sounded nothing like Guns N' Roses. There was a wealth of variety.

Today's metal is mostly that Scandinavian death shit that I hate with a passion. Opeth is cool, but most of the others of that genre are just noise. The metal bands of today that I like, besides Opeth, are Mastodon, Tool, Monster Magnet and Clutch. I wish fun, good metal would make a comeback. I'm only 47, I'm young enough to still enjoy it, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 225November 17, 2013 4:25 AM

R224, Imagine if Freddie and Rob had met and recorded a duet together. That would have been hot. My two favorite singers of all time. I could have died happy. Back in the late '70s, I had every Queen album and I had three Judas Priest albums. I was very young and had no idea I was gay, much less that they were. It's funny how they were this young New Mexico (future) gay boy's favorite singers and they both turned out to be gay, just like me. That's awesome.

by Anonymousreply 226November 17, 2013 4:33 AM

[quote] Imagine if Freddie and Rob had met and recorded a duet together.

Yeah, it's too bad that was not to be. Or they could have gotten together and Rob would have had a hotter story (assuming it was pre-HIV or with a condom). I guess he didn't keep hanging around back stage after his morning set at Live Aid or else he chickened out of introducing himself, because that would have been quite an opportunity apparently. When Live 8 happened there was a lot of nostalgia pieces about Live Aid, and it came out that Freddie came off stage randy and mischievious and kind of happily ran amuck. Backed Bono up against the wall to chat him up, surprised the event's main photo journalist with a tongue down his throat, wrestled with a guy from Status Quo, etc.

by Anonymousreply 227November 17, 2013 4:54 AM

R227, Rob and Freddie couldn't have hooked up at Live Aid in 1985. Queen played at Wembley in London and Judas Priest played at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. That would have been something though.

by Anonymousreply 228November 17, 2013 6:09 AM

Well, Freddie's boyfriend being around probably would have also had a chilling effect on an actual hook up at Live Aid, but plainly the man was feeling sociable and it was an opportunity for quite a memorable meeting story. :)

by Anonymousreply 229November 17, 2013 6:20 AM

I would still let Rob Halford be my "Turbo Lover."

by Anonymousreply 230November 17, 2013 6:20 AM

Stryper HAD to be gay. Especially that singer and his blond brother. Those two guys made Bronski Beat look straight.

by Anonymousreply 231November 17, 2013 5:24 PM

Roth has gayface for days!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 3, 2013 8:00 PM

r202, Phil Anselmo, yes. Hammet is bi and is a swinger with a heel/grind fetish (per Magdalene).

I always wondered about Scott Ian.

Alex Skolnick (Testament) is hot as hell-wish he was gay/bi, but don't think so.

I don't know where you'd put Marilyn Manson-thrash or industrial. Geordie and Manson were an item for years-lived together for a while.

by Anonymousreply 233December 3, 2013 8:48 PM

What do you know about Phil, R233?

by Anonymousreply 234December 3, 2013 8:53 PM

I'm not an insider, r234-just heard things over the years.

He is hardcore gay and allegedly had a separate van to party with gay men.

I also heard, and this did shock me, that he and Dimebag were a couple. Dimebag was bi; I don't know if Rita was a beard. They broke up over Phil's heroin use, but it wasn't a clean break. Vince was not too thrilled, but he put up with it for his brother's sake.

I always wondered why the band went out of their way to support Superjoint, but maybe they didn't want him to pull a crazy rant and out everybody. Considering how out of control he was back in the day, it was possible.

Oh, and huge cock, too. Eleven inches.

by Anonymousreply 235December 3, 2013 9:03 PM

WOW R235. Phil's a scorcher

by Anonymousreply 236December 3, 2013 10:03 PM

there was a groupie board where people post stories with band members (they were right about the gay boyband members of westlife and n-sync) and someone posted about phil anselmo being into men. also, it was posted about joey jordison being bi. look for some groupie mmessage board on voyforum, it´s interesting.

by Anonymousreply 237December 22, 2013 3:17 AM

Anybody watch "That Metal Show"? I'm kind of crushing on co-host Don Jamieson. I love his hair, and how he's always ever-so-slightly tossing his head back to get it out of his face, even if it's NOT in his face (I'm thinking it's probably just a force of habit).

by Anonymousreply 238December 22, 2013 3:25 AM

The late Peter Steele, lead singer of Type O Negative, presented his anus on the original cover of their ORIGIN OF THE FECES album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239December 28, 2013 5:10 PM

He even showed the goods in Playgirl. Word was that he wasn't up for guy-on-guy play, put anyone who'd show his anus on the cover of an album has to be kinky enough to try anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240December 28, 2013 5:13 PM

[R54], was the guitarist you were with a member of L.A. Guns? [R216] Tracii Guns (the founder and leader of the the ‘'Never Enough’ lineup) was always a question. I feel like he’s comfortably and privately heteroflexible, maybe even bi, but leaning toward the het end.

While having the same female partner for near-on 25 years, I have heard tell that he had a very voracious sexual appetite and was promiscuous during his youth--sex/gender of partners irrespective. He’s a Cali-kid, open-minded at the very least, and created L.A. Guns after leaving an early version of Guns N’ Roses--a tenure that saw the drifting rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin living inexplicably in his house for a year. More pointers--I read in a groupie biography (not the most reliable source, but still intriguing) that Tracii once had a threesome with his (adopted?) son Jeremy. He is close friends with with vocalist Andrew Freeman, who I believe is openly bi (so Tracii is obviously comfortable with the idea).

I put an interview in the link below that is a must-hear for anyone into these bands--but most tellingly, around the 21/22 minute mark, Tracii teases the (male) interviewer sweetly about having a crush on his babysitter’s brother as a kid. It’s a playful, lighthearted topic for him, no awkwardness or defensiveness around the subject--he even discusses AIDS with surprising and gentle sincerity. He calls the 80‘s Sunset metal scene a group of ‘sappy, insecure, not-at-all Macho guys’. Tracii goes on to call Duff McKagan’s looks ‘beautiful’ (they were/are), and speaks with startling fondness about his teenaged friendship with Axl Rose; the pair were ‘inseparable’ for two years, and have been estranged since. A bad-breakup, do we think?

Even more mysteriously, Tracii and his L.A. Guns lead singer Phil had a notoriously tempestuous relationship OFFstage, for which no-one in the industry appears to know the reason. Despite being close working partners with an open affection for each other for a long time, they argued terribly in the early 90‘s, and subsequently did not speak for decades, even started rival bands with identical names to spite one another. I could never figure whether they fought as a media ploy to upstage Slash and Axl’s ongoing Lover’s Tiff (decidedly a closeted-freak-out thing), or if Tracii and Phil genuinely had a personal bone-to-pick..

Tracii seems like a friendly, funny, grounded, happy-go-lucky little guy in interviews, though, so this could all be a misconstrual of his ‘nice-guy’ behaviour towards fellow dudes. Coupled with his bizarre inability to endear himself to a lead vocalist in any band ever.

He's a sweetheart no matter what, I hope he's got enough love for everyone.

[R.e. the other L.A. Guns alum--Kelly Nickels is a sweetheart but surely stoned to the point of asexuality by now; Mick Cripps keeps a notoriously low profile in any band (although he did idolise Kraftwerk); and I’m undecided on Steve Riley, drummers throw me off. I’ve lost track of the million line-up changes since, but no standouts bar Tracii for me so far. ]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241June 13, 2014 7:18 PM

r236, cute story by Sebastian Bach about Anselmo.

Of course, I heard that they didn't meet at a urinal, but that's another issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242June 15, 2014 1:54 AM

More about Phil Anselmo, PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 243June 15, 2014 5:11 AM

Shirtless, bulging, David Lee Roth at his hottest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 15, 2014 5:40 AM

I don't care if they were late to the Hair party, this thread is all GNR, [R241]. Almost all of the original 5 as well as some guys from NuGNR and the offshoots (Velvet Revolver, Snakepit etc.) show varying degrees of gay, latent or out:

--Steven Adler, nympho droput/gigolo and hustler at 13 years old, notorious for having group sex with Steven Tyler while high and toting it as the 'best moment of his life'; --Duff McKagan, leggy blonde punk in guyliner who struggled to find a girlfriend on Sunset (as in the Strip, crawling with desperate hookers) as everyone assumed he was gay; --Izzy Stradlin......chose for himself the name Izzy Stradlin; --Matt Sorum, calls himself a 'percussionist, not a drummer', ostensibly a pussyhound but has gay voice/face for days; --Dizzy Reed, a keyboardist in a hair metal/sleaze rock band (really...) --Scott Weiland, unfortunate heroin problems mean an inhibited sex drive and life, probably, but his body glitter, full makeup and sinuous Iggy-esque behaviour are interesting; --DJ Ashba, another guyliner addict and harbours a liking for scene fashion choices like snakebite piercings (scene/emo is the Bisexual subculture); --Eric Dover, used to play with Jellyfish, for Christ's sake; --Slash, another alleged het-maniac but also a self confessed sex addict, was almost never seen out of leather pants and gloves until the early 2000's and enjoyed being shirtless in MTV rotation videos;

And, of course... ---Axl Rose.....chose for himself the name Axl Rose, followed his childhood friend Izzy across the entire country to start a band, idolises Freddie Mercury, lives with a full time maid/nanny as a main companion, enjoys nothing more than costumery and elaborate set design, devoted himself to learning piano (in a hair metal/sleaze rock band, that already HAD a keyboard player...), married a supermodel and then voluntarily divorced her with surprising ease yet went into hiding for a decade after his friends/bandmate left him to his dolphins.

even if they don't identify as gay, Slash and Axl must have fucked more than a few times--something's in their chemistry onstage, their constant up/down tension, their smothering affection and talk of 'loyalty' to one another, and those bitter breakup records (Snakepit's 'It's Five o Clock Somewhere', and 'Chinese Democracy')...

Listen to 'Good to be Alive' by Slash--a lyric of it goes: 'I had to say I loved you just to try to keep the peace.../Hustler! What are you doing with your time? I'm slow catchin' on, but I think you wasted mine....' Huh. Ok, Slash. That was released in 1995, the dissolution years......

by Anonymousreply 245July 20, 2014 4:29 PM

I've been a rock guy since childhood in the '70s. My take...

David Lee Roth from Van Halen is GAY! Either that, or he sure missed his calling. I met him in 1982 ('Diver Down' Tour) and he pinged to Saturn & back. He was actually less manic and more cordial/fun than I expected. Full of himself, but funny. Very sexy back then. He's still attractive for a 59-60 year old man.

Paul Stanley from Kiss is bisexual, at the very least. No way is that man a Kinsey 0. I'd say a Kinsey 5 at the minimum. Ace Frehley and Peter Criss totally pinged to me as well when I met the band in 1979. I LOATHE Gene Simmons. A total asshole to me when I was 13. I was a huge Kiss fan and he spent my backstage time flirting with my mom. He never looked at me or spoke to me. Just signed my 'Dynasty' album cover and kept making advances to my mom (who was quite beautiful). She was disgusted by Simmons.

Phil Anselmo (not hair metal, but so what!). He's as gay as a bag of dicks.

I met Judas Priest in 1982 (Screaming for Vengeance Tour, very nice guys) and I knew Halford was gay. He was actually kind of cute then. He was really flirty with me. Very sweet and funny.

I met Styx backstage in January of 1981. I think it was the week they released the 'Paradise Theatre' album. They ALL pinged. I had a huge crush on the bassist (Chuck Panozzo, who later came out as gay). He was a cutie. They were all nice and fun guys.

Billy Squier --- NO WAY that man is straight. Gayer than Elton John's pink tutu and duck suit.

I have always been in the minority as a gay male who loved/loves rock and metal. I grew up on all of those great bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath and Rush. I am still passionate about that music. My best friend was also a gay metal-head. We were quite the anomaly in Suburban Houston in the early '80s. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 246July 22, 2014 5:48 PM

Chris Wyse of The Cult lived with Ace Frehley for a period, they are still good friends. Wonder if they were lovers?

by Anonymousreply 247July 22, 2014 6:24 PM

More Phil Anselmo info. There seems very little to back it up. He's like the Morrissey of metal, at least until Moz spilled the beans in his book.

by Anonymousreply 248July 22, 2014 6:35 PM

Phil Anselmo, NSFW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 22, 2014 7:39 PM

What about JBJ and Sambora?

by Anonymousreply 250August 24, 2014 7:32 PM

Welcome Metalsludge

by Anonymousreply 251October 8, 2014 1:39 AM

Joe Perry just released his auto bio, anyone read it? any good gossip?

by Anonymousreply 252October 8, 2014 1:49 AM

I think Kirk Hammett--the lead guitarist from Metallica--admitted that he was bisexual but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Speaking of Metallica, I've ALWAYS thought James Hetfield was hot especially around the time of the Black Album (1990/1991). Before then, he looked like he was stuck in his awkward teenage years. But once he hit 27/28 years old...DAMN. He was hotter than Kirk back then.

by Anonymousreply 253October 8, 2014 2:08 AM

Welcome Sleek

by Anonymousreply 254October 8, 2014 2:00 PM

r253, old poster Madgalene claimed he had a shoe fetish, loved heels ground on his dick.

I think she also said he was bi and he & the wife were swingers.

by Anonymousreply 255October 8, 2014 2:08 PM

Anselmo is still fucked up because he quit the hard stuff, but never quit drinking. He's a pothead, too.

by Anonymousreply 256October 8, 2014 2:10 PM

Back in the 80's Jon Bon Jovi & Kip Winger were so HAWT. I got to meet Bon Jovi at a record signing and sit next to him and touch that hair!

by Anonymousreply 257October 8, 2014 2:21 PM

God, David Lee Roth was SOOOO HOT. Even now, I wouldn't say no.

by Anonymousreply 258October 8, 2014 10:24 PM

[quote]Back in the 80's Jon Bon Jovi & Kip Winger were so HAWT

You can say that again. Kip Winger was one sexy motherfucker, in a more carnal way than JBJ. I Winger's live home video on tape, and throughout the entire thing Kip shows so much VPL and visible balls line in his tight, leather black pants that he might as well have gone nude.

Here's a gif from it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259October 8, 2014 10:41 PM

Phil Anselmo has White Nationalist tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 260October 8, 2014 10:58 PM

R258, Me too! I met him (along with Eddie Van Halen) a couple of years ago. Roth is a total pocket gay. VERY, VERY short in stature. Cute for his age though. I think he was hot back in the day with that flowing blond hair, but I'm glad he finally cut it all off. He looks better with short hair.

The story I have always heard about him is that he has always been bisexual (with a preference for the cock). I know he used to be touted as a ladies man in the late '70s and early '80s, but he has never been linked to a female celebrity or model. I keep hearing that he lives with a male partner.

by Anonymousreply 261October 9, 2014 5:45 PM

[quote]I know he used to be touted as a ladies man in the late '70s and early '80s, but he has never been linked to a female celebrity or model

He was actually linked to Apollonia Kotero from PURPLE RAIN in the early '80s. She's gone on record as saying that he was her boyfriend. I still totally think that he's a Friend of Dorothy's, though.

by Anonymousreply 262October 10, 2014 11:53 PM

In one of the first interviews with Madonna in People magazine I remember her saying that David Lee Roth hit on her at a party. Was he bi? Or just put on the ladies man act and was actually gay?

by Anonymousreply 263November 12, 2014 6:05 AM

[quote]I was in a popular band (don't ask, I'm not gonna tell which one - no hints either) that toured with Ratt in the mid-1980s

Mama's Boys? In 1985 I went to one of my favorite concerts where Mama's Boys and Bon Jovi opened up for Ratt. I was in love with Jon Bon Jovi back then and got to meet him at a record signing before the show.

by Anonymousreply 264November 12, 2014 6:17 AM

r264 that's a good guess.

r199 are you sure about all of the Crue? Nikki Sixx has always pinged for me

by Anonymousreply 265April 18, 2015 2:54 AM

Fascinating thread! But why no update of the biographical confirmation of Kiss’ homo shenanigans?

As a horny teen I had an obsession with Pantera dude, this set the template for the type of guy I’m attracted to...and resultant disappointment! I discovered Henry Rollins about the same time... that cop uniform & superman costume. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 266April 19, 2015 10:22 PM

by Anonymousreply 267April 20, 2015 10:16 AM

Nikki isn't gay, I think. There would be storys about I'm 13 right now and I don't know any guy who loves 80's Metal exept of me. I'm so happy to read so many coments from Rock/Metal-lovers here. I'm discovering the 80's (and 70's) and thank all you guys who writes about bands I wouldn't find without you. I really wanna live in the 80's with fun and Rock'n'Roll and meeting sexy rocker guys. And going to so much fucking good concets! I hope I'll find some guys at my age who love all that Rock'n'Roll and want to found a band with me to get that music back. Rock of ages Still rollin' Keep on rollin'! ROCK N' ROLL FOREVER!!!

by Anonymousreply 268August 6, 2015 12:04 AM

DLR pings loudly here. HOT moves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269August 6, 2015 2:09 AM

I remember the white lion singer, he was hot. Any gossip?

by Anonymousreply 270August 6, 2015 4:57 AM

[R180], you were in a hairband, so you ain't anymore. I think, you could be two guys and I'm not sure which one. Man, it's tough! Are you in any band I could know?

by Anonymousreply 271August 6, 2015 5:57 PM

Donnie Purnell was hot! But I don't know anything about him. Can anybody tell me something about him?

by Anonymousreply 272August 6, 2015 9:39 PM

Which year did Rob Halford came out?

by Anonymousreply 273August 9, 2015 9:36 PM

R245, we may finally get confirmation on Which GNR Is Gay yet. My money is on Slash/Axl but it could be Izzy, he always was quiet about that stuff.

My question is how they are going to spring poor Adler from Rehab. Does he even want to do this? Did anyone ask him what he thought? Come to think of it, has he even been invited? Adler should really be without these assholes for the remaining years of his life, but then again if they all do this without him (maybe with Sorum?) it could break the little guy's heart...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274December 30, 2015 7:15 PM

Are there any openly gay ones besides Rob Halford?

by Anonymousreply 275December 30, 2015 7:52 PM

Wasn't Scott Weiland (RIP man) known to be bi?

by Anonymousreply 276January 3, 2016 5:55 PM

[quote]Are there any openly gay ones besides Rob Halford?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the singer of King's X and two members of the prog metal band Cynic are out. Here's an interview with the guys from Cynic that discusses coming out (it also mentions another one, Gaahl from the band Gorgoroth).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 3, 2016 6:10 PM

I knew people in college who grew up with Bon Jovi in NJ, and they said he was definitely bisexual. His father owned the local hair salon, and I guess he saw some action with some of the male stylists.

by Anonymousreply 278January 3, 2016 6:12 PM

HYDE of L'arc-en-ciel is a possibility, many fans think he got together with pop/rockstar Gackt for a time (FYI Visual-Kei is essentially prog/operatic/emo rock with hair metal outfits).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279January 3, 2016 6:27 PM

a lot of them were at least bi. I'm sure some crazy shit happened with both women and dudes

by Anonymousreply 280January 3, 2016 6:38 PM

Gaahl a very extremely scared looking dude came out a few years ago..he's into young looks fem boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281January 3, 2016 6:48 PM

big hair and metal guitar? tokio hotel of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282January 3, 2016 9:43 PM

[quote]I knew people in college who grew up with Bon Jovi in NJ, and they said he was definitely bisexual. His father owned the local hair salon, and I guess he saw some action with some of the male stylists.

Damn, can't even remember how many times I spunked as kid watching this pic. Had I known Jon was deepthroating some big dick at the same time would've probably made me wank 10 times more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283January 3, 2016 10:06 PM

Wait. I thought we thought we knew David Lee Roth is gay. Didn't he low key come out at some point? No?

by Anonymousreply 284January 3, 2016 11:30 PM

Does anyone know if this is Phil Anselmo holding hands with Rob Haldford and what's the story behind the pic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285January 4, 2016 2:20 PM

I feel like one of Vixen was. I figure it was either founder and lead guitarist Jan Kuehnemund (RIP) or bassist Share Pedersen, but maybe Roxy...

We'd be lucky to have any of them, they're all gorgeous talented women. Especially Janet Gardner, that voice and presence, wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286January 7, 2016 4:11 PM

Who was asking about Ville Valo. I doubt he is gay. His family owns a sex shop he is very funny and irreverent and if he was he would probably be open about. He seem to have been been in some very publicl and messy relationships.

by Anonymousreply 287January 7, 2016 4:35 PM

Donna Anderson and MetalSludge compiled and published this list, respectively. It's quite revealing, in a quick scan I learned:

- JBJ likes BJs and 2 X condoms - Reb Beach (Winger) likes assplay - Taime Down (Faster Pussycat) is bisexual - Phil Varone (Skid Row) is bi AND likes assplay - Rachel Bolan (Skid Row) is very talented in bed - Lars Ulrich (Metallica) is chatty in bed, cums fast and is uncut - Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) is revered by groupies as an oral sex God - DJ Ashba (Beautiful Creatures) has mad drive and stamina (like allday/night) - Robbie Crane (Ratt) got fired as Poison's roadie for too much groupie action lmao - Dani Filth (Cradle of Filth) is a biter and has a huge dick (like 9in) despite being a tiny guy - Audie Desbrow (Great White) is giving, handsy and cuddly, also very generously-endowed - Ace Frehley is quiet, passive and confirmed prefers to be on the bottom, with women at least - Joey Castillo (Danzig) and Phil Anselmo (Pantera) all pack 10in, as John Corabi (Brides of Destruction) and Tommy Lee are thought to

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 7, 2016 5:12 PM

Not sure about a lot of these, but I do know Nikki Sixx prefers women. He very nearly ran into trouble for sleeping with Bruce Dickinson's wife.

by Anonymousreply 289January 9, 2016 7:22 PM

Cannot believe I've read this whole thread and *ahem* RAINBOW hasn't been mentioned not one stone cold time. Just for their name alone, c'mon now. In this video it seems pretty obvious Joe Lynn Turner's come-and-get-me-mister mouth movements were air-massaging every metalhead cock engorged to their MTV screen. Deep, rich vocals flowing with the dark feathery folds of that fabulous rock-n-roll mane, but was Joe Lynn a cock teaser or a cock pleaser? Well, Joe knows.... he knows you're STONE COOOOOLLLLD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290January 10, 2016 12:01 AM

I remember hearing a rumor about Joe Elliot and Phil Collen being lovers. Phil looks like he's ready to shred a rawk dood's shrieking little butthole here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291January 10, 2016 12:20 AM

[quote]Billy Squier (not really hair metal, but he did rock and have long hair).

Now what would POSSIBLY give you THAT impression?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 10, 2016 1:41 AM

Why does everyone keep saying Phil Anselmo is10"+ when the pic of him that was posted shows he's average?

by Anonymousreply 293January 10, 2016 10:15 AM

"I Have a couple of things I can say about Phil Anselmo...everyone thinks he's not bi but the rumor is true. Well. I know personally a couple of things. I know of one guy that Phil has had or*l sex with( Phil was on the receiving end) to make it a little more intresting this guy is now in one of the heavier (hint) bands from New Orleans sludge scene. this is the only instance that I know for a fact is true. But growing up in New Orleans I'd hear things about Phil's bisexuality from as far back as his Razor white days.However don't take this to mean Phil is not into chicks because he is. I cannot count even using both hands the number of girls that I personally know that have been with Phil.In fact most of his female friends at one point or the other have had sex with him repeatedly over the years. phil's huge (10 inches) and a great lay. I haven't also with hick but know many many that have and consensus say it was was worth it all. I ve seen many girls even leaving their bfs or risking losing them just to be one of the casual sex friends. Also he loves pitching but have never heard of anyone making him the catcher not even so much as a finger...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294January 10, 2016 11:38 AM

More on Phil--> " I have a friend that toured with Pantera and he swears that Phil actually has his own van that he'd go with a bunch of guys to have sex. I seriously doubt he'd lie to me. after all, aren't the closet homos the one that try to be as macho and sexist? This has nothing to do with the music but iit does say a lot about his character if it's true,as do some balant lies they feed their fans, I'm not dissing Pamtera I'm just saying.." Link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 10, 2016 12:02 PM

Krokus' lineup was krammed with kuties. Sorry. Anyways, very nice ass around the minute and 1/2 mark. Where did the name Krokus come from? I know, I know - Phil Anselmo's cock is on the table now - - Krokus will have to wait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296January 10, 2016 12:36 PM

I swear it's like Starsky dumped Hutch and decided to front a hair metal band. His (Marc Storace) sexy shower scene is way too quick in this stirring video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297January 10, 2016 12:53 PM

Kinda looks like a young Jake Gyllenhaal is playing a young Stephen Pearcy in this inspirational video where the boy lays down a birthday wish (unlimited access to Mommy's make-up supply) and grows up to be an extra fancy rock singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298January 10, 2016 1:21 PM

I found a better copy of Rainbow's Stone Cold. Joe Lynn's grand mop deserves better resolution. Go ahead, follow his lips to the red bedroom floating in mist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299January 10, 2016 1:36 PM

did anyone every figure out the band the guy around 180 was in...pretty sure it was Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 300January 10, 2016 2:52 PM

Def Leppard - I believe all pretty straight irl, but after watching the Hallmark biopic (Hysteria?) I came away thinking Joe Elliot surely liked men. The movie had Anthony Michael-Hall as Mutt Lange which made me laugh (he played the role straight but dark with a slight edge of camp).

The guy they cast as Steve Clark was also unreasonably gorgeous, far more beautiful and androgynous than Steve himself was in reality. He looks like a model, and iirc he was one of the guys photographed in Madonna's 'Sex' book. His accent was off but he played the part well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301January 10, 2016 4:55 PM

Me and a fellow les have Ben arguing for years over who it is in Vixen.

She maintains the gay is always the drummer, so the gay in Vixen is dark Italian fox Roxy Petrucci. I say in this case our gal is bassist Share Pedersen (who was once in a band with Michael Schenker, just sayin).

Of course if there is or ever was a God(dress), then lead vocal Janet Gardner is the metal woman who licks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302March 2, 2017 11:34 AM

[quote] ...(the band) all head to a party at the Hyatt House. Nikki has sex in a closet with a drunk, huge-breasted girl, before inviting his bandmate Tommy in on the action without her knowledge. Nikki then gets an unwilling young partygoer to join in the game as well, who loses his virginity in the process.

[quote] After breaking up with girlfriend Laurie Bell, and then a tall, blonde German fashion model called Evelyn, Nikki dates a blonde groupie named Beth, whom he met at the Troubadour one night as she hung out with the guys in Ratt. From a rich family in San Diego, Nikki enjoys doing drugs and having sex at her apartment. After they party hard with Vince at the Rainbow one night, they then head back to The Mötley House on Clark Street, intent on having a threesome. Nikki eventually heads to his room, and Beth Lynn soon becomes Vince’s new girlfriend.

Nikki Sixx is at the very least bi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303March 3, 2017 8:39 PM

Sixx popped some guy's cherry? How about that for a first-time memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304March 5, 2017 6:53 PM

The kid (so he was then) probably doesn't remember it now. In LA in the early 80s there was coke in the water supply.

by Anonymousreply 305March 5, 2017 9:27 PM

R43 I would watch the hell out of that and I don't even enjoy tv that much.

R282 the Kaulitz twins spent the last couple years showing up at industry parties in WeHo to drum up support for an upcoming tour, so I guess they're trying to crack America. It's sweet that they still seem to do everything together.

If one or both are confused or messed up about their sexuality it's not hard to see why; they spent their entire adolescence on the road (from age 13) and iirc early in their career they had a creepy/exploitative manager who kept them away from their parents and so on. Hopefully the other two older guys in the band were looking out for them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306March 5, 2017 9:44 PM

Tokio Hotel don't exactly fit the definition of a hairband or a glam band, if you disregard the way the singer looks. They used to play emo punkrock anthems for the teen crowd (like a hybrid of Sum41 and 30 Seconds to Mars), and now they do radio/club friendly electro/dance pop pretty much exclusively. Also, they only formed as a band in the early 00s, around twenty years after the initial rise of hair metal.

That said, singer Bill has espoused glam-fashion wholeheartedly in the past (he's a personal friend of Karl Lagerfeld), and the band certainly know what to do with sex & substances of 80s magnitude, so.

The strangest part is the lengths Bill goes to wanting to look trendy and glammed up, when his identical twin is a scrub who could not possibly be less interested in fashion or looking like a rockstar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307March 6, 2017 1:08 PM

Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie the Head (later Edward the Great) is violently pansexual (in the figurative & literal sense of 'violent'), but then you sort of expect that from a mad, bad zombie Lad, don't you?

One documentary on the band (don't recall which) had the artist of their album covers talking about how Eddie's appearance on IM's second album KILLERS, the image of him offing one of his victims, is quite homoerotic in a certain light (the male hands grabbing Eddie's hips, how Eddie is leaning into them etc). Not sure if the band themselves ever saw the image that way but it's interesting to think about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308March 8, 2017 9:23 AM

Axl Rose

by Anonymousreply 309July 12, 2018 8:37 PM

Duff McKagan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310July 12, 2018 8:39 PM

Matt Sorum & Duff McKagan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311July 12, 2018 8:41 PM

I don’t think Roth has ever been linked to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 312July 12, 2018 9:07 PM

Freddie Mercury -- but he was the one in the band without long hair.

by Anonymousreply 313July 12, 2018 9:44 PM

This album cover is gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314July 12, 2018 9:49 PM

Jon Mikl Thor had to have been gay-for-pay.

His act was more muscle than music. And he got his big break from Merv Griffin!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315July 12, 2018 9:58 PM

Lol at that album cover.

by Anonymousreply 316July 12, 2018 10:00 PM

R309/310/311 denied. 90% of GN’R past & present are straight guys.

Duff was only Mistaken For Gay. Adler was strictly G4P (as a teen, so tragic). Sorum just has Gay Voice. Slash has Gay Lisp but he worships tits and loathed David Bowie. DJ Ashba is Emo, so like Duff is often Mistaken for Gay. No-one knows who or where Izzy is let alone whether he’s family. Fortnus..ah. idc tbh.

Axl has been reported bi/gay several times before by various anonymous commenters here & elsewhere, that much is true. It would also explain a lot about him.

If you want to get in way deep and historical, original founder member Tracii Guns is bi (someone already said it upthread anyways) and ended up settling with a common-law wife/kid after years of whoring it up with Nikki Sixx et al. For the record Tracii was Axl’s “best friend” during their first few years on the Strip.

by Anonymousreply 317July 13, 2018 11:40 AM

Any more Anselmo gossip?

by Anonymousreply 318March 17, 2020 6:56 PM

DL Guy post sex with Jani Layne and posting live:, poking him awake: "Hello... wakey, wakey..."

Jani Layne (eyes focusing, then): "GET OUT!! GET OUUUUUUUUUT!!!"

DL guy backs up in horror, knocking something off a coffee table in the process.

Still makes me laugh like a MF. That and the margarine fountain made me love DL.

by Anonymousreply 319March 17, 2020 7:09 PM

Faith No More was/is alternative rock or punk, r31, not metal.

by Anonymousreply 320March 17, 2020 7:29 PM

To my knowledge, none of the hair metal guys were gay.

The reason they adopted such feminine looks was BECAUSE they were so homophobic and macho in every, other way. Without the hippie movement in full swing, the only men who could pull off female fashions in the homophobic, AIDS-phobic '80s were the Notorious Pussyhounds.

Their audience was trash, too. Only the trashiest, most homophobic people turned to metal as their outlet and culture. That's why I didn't get into the scene back then. All the American metal musicians only cared about partying and the headbangers were conformist trash.

by Anonymousreply 321March 17, 2020 7:35 PM

R317 Duff McKagan said he went "road gay" on tour since there were no women on the bus. Just bullshitting or serious, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 322March 17, 2020 7:36 PM

David Lee Roth was not gay. He was just a gigolo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323March 17, 2020 7:38 PM

"Their audience was trash, too. Only the trashiest, most homophobic people turned to metal as their outlet and culture. That's why I didn't get into the scene back then."

Well smell you, Betty Lou. It must be nice to live in your ignorant bubble where your farts smell like lavender. In the real world, plenty of people--people are not trash, btw--enjoyed 80s hard rock including--gasp!--proud homerseckshals!

Oh, and fuck off back to hell, you elitist, hateful shithead. "

by Anonymousreply 324March 17, 2020 7:50 PM

Never really got into hair metal. Oh no. Saw some of it on MTV but honestly the look did nothing for me even if some of the guys were cute as all hell. No my musical tastes ran to the early rap scene or Hip Hop, Jazz, R&B progressive rock, punk, etc. There was one band Full Force - one of the front men Paul Anthony - not so much in the face but that body was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 325March 17, 2020 8:11 PM

Gary Cherrone is rumored to have a huge cock.

by Anonymousreply 326March 17, 2020 8:18 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 327August 1, 2020 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!