Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Morrissey talks about his first serious relationship in new autobiography (re: sorta comes out?)

Morrissey describes moment 'the eternal "I" became "we"'

Singer did not enter first serious relationship until the 1990s, when he was in his mid-30s

Morrissey did not enter into a serious relationship until the 1990s, when he was in his mid-30s, he writes in Autobiography. When he met Jake Owen Walters, he writes, "for the first time in my life the eternal 'I' becomes 'we', as, finally, I can get on with someone".

Morrissey writes movingly about the two-year relationship. "Jake and I neither sought not needed company other than our own for the whirlwind stretch to come," he writes. "Indulgently Jake and I test how far each of us can go before 'being dwelt in' causes cries of intolerable struggle, but our closeness transcends such visitations."

Morrissey never specifies whether they were lovers, but talks of sharing hotel suites, of being photographed with his head "resting on Jake's exposed belly", and of Jake bringing him tea in the bath.

He also recounts an exchange at an airport. "'Well,' says the woman in the British Airways lounge, 'you're either very close brothers or lovers.' 'Can't brothers be lovers?' I imprudently reply – always ready with the pointlessly pert, whether sensible or not."

The ending of the relationship is described in a way that could hardly be more Morrissey – with a visit to his home by Alan Bennett, who observes the pair and says: "Now, now. What's going on? Something's happened, hasn't it? … You haven't spoken a word to each other since I arrived."

Although Autobiography never specifically addresses Morrissey's sexuality, he talks about his lack of interest in girls as a teenager. "Girls remained mysteriously attracted to me," he writes, "and I had no idea why, since although each fumbling foray hit the target, nothing electrifying took place, and I turned a thousand corners without caring … Far more exciting were the array of stylish racing bikes that my father would bring home."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2020 10:04 AM

I wonder if he admits to being in love with Johnny Marr?

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2013 2:42 AM

He "never specifies if they were lovers"? How much more specific does it need to be for the moron that wrote the article? Should he put it on a flashing neon sign?

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2013 2:57 AM

"but our closeness transcends such visitations." God he sounds insufferable.

Bitch listen, you were "together" all of two years...and it doesn't sound as if even THEY were that easy.

Get back to me when you hit say,your 25th or even 10th...then we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2013 2:59 AM

I have very little interest in music -- I couldn't name a Smiths song if my life depended on it -- but for some reason I read this article with quotes from his autobiography, and will definitely read the book.

The interchange with David Bowie is the most DataLounge-like thing I've ever read outside of this site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2013 3:07 AM

I bet the book will be funny. I want to read it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2013 3:20 AM

He sure can write lyrics but his way with words does not extend to an entire book.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2013 3:26 AM

Why isn't it being published in the US? He has a massive fanbase here. Oh well, guess I'll illegally download it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2013 3:38 AM

Those quotes are funny as hell

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2013 3:47 AM

is it impossible to order books published in the uk?

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2013 3:48 AM

He's a genius. Always admired his honesty. Never got the idea he was closeted or ashamed. Always honest about his struggles with human attraction and clearly, for a long time, has been one who has transcended beyond the need to label themselves anything for the sake of others' satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2013 3:48 AM

yes r9 abebooks.com

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2013 3:51 AM

I wonder if he talks about Pete Burns in the book. They were rumored to be lovers in the mid eighties. I can only imagine what the fallout of that relationship was like, given that both of them are major bitches on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2013 3:52 AM

Was he definitely involved with the late Billy MacKenzie from The Associates ("William, It Was Really Nothing")?

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2013 3:54 AM

Pete Burns and Morrissey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2013 3:56 AM

[quote]Why isn't it being published in the US? He has a massive fanbase here. Oh well, guess I'll illegally download it.

Morrissey is a known cunt when it comes to dealing with record labels, so I'm sure the same applies to publishing houses. As you see earlier in the thread, there was some drama that the book wasn't even going to come out. I'm sure he either didn't bother with finding a U.S. publisher or he did, and none would agree to his ridiculous terms.

I thought it was going to be released digitally here, but Amazon doesn't have it yet. They do already have third-party sellers offering it for sale.

I just checked Amazon.co.uk and it comes out to about $21 with shipping, although I think the final total will be less than that with the VAT refund.

I'm a huge Smiths fan, minor Mozz solo fan. I have very mixed feeling about reading this book, even though I'm sure I'll eventually buy it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2013 3:57 AM

Just realized it there's another thread on this book on DL, and that's the one that details the drama of the book being almost published, then not, then published.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2013 3:59 AM

[quote]I have very little interest in music -- I couldn't name a Smiths song if my life depended on it -- but for some reason I read this article with quotes from his autobiography, and will definitely read the book.

Really? I loved the Smiths, but M always sounds pretentious and obnoxious interviews. I don't think I could stand a whole books-worth of it.

[quote]The interchange with David Bowie is the most DataLounge-like thing I've ever read outside of this site.

Good one

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2013 4:00 AM

I always thought he sounded funny in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2013 4:10 AM

I didn't know about the rumored Billy Mackenzie relationship. Or maybe I did, and forgot...I was a little obsessed with Billy about a decade ago. What an underrated singer he was. That would have been a hot pairing.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2013 4:11 AM

One of the best Morrissey interviews ever, by Nick Kent, in The Face magazine, March 1990:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2013 4:12 AM

Love him and will buy the book. That said, I second R3.

Poor thing, sounds like his ego has prevented him from ever being able to explore a real relationship.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2013 4:17 AM

x

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2013 9:08 PM

I am humasexual! Was reading morrissey's wiki and I guess even his band mate said he had been with many women as well as men. Either way, gotta admire his attempt for honesty even at his height, where he always said he was mostly asexual...

by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2013 3:49 PM

I do not get his damage at all. His parents really loved and supported him. He was not unloved by them nor rejected by them.

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2013 3:58 PM

Is this the Jake Walters he writes of? When did this thing between them take place?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2013 4:09 PM

If that is Jake he is hot. Like a really hot version of Luke Willson, at least from that picture.

How do we really know his parents loved him and supported him? And to say he is "damaged" is kind of a judgment....I think morrissey speaks the truth about life, neither in a negative or positive way, just truth as he sees it. There is a reason he is iconic, people.

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2013 6:04 PM

no, I think this was the Jake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2013 9:51 PM

The me of we!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2013 9:57 PM

He has a girlfriend and it's not Tina

by Anonymousreply 29January 21, 2014 11:46 AM

HE IS GOING TO RELEASE HIS NEW ALBUM 'World Peace Is None of Your Business' in July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2014 12:17 PM

His new lyrics are poor written.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2014 4:29 PM

I used to like him. Hear first hand that he is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2014 4:41 PM

Jake Walters is now a photographer. This is him (link). Morrissey's new record is surprisingly getting the best reviews he's received in twenty years. We'll see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 28, 2014 4:46 PM

R32 Of course he's a cunt, you can tell just from looking at him. That face.

by Anonymousreply 34June 28, 2014 4:49 PM

I'm a HUGE Smith's fan.

Morrisey, OTOH, I can't stand. He's genuinely miserable most of the time. An insufferable twat.

I find it unacceptable for someone with millions of dollas and access to the best of everything in life to wallow AND be indignant blaming the rest of humanity for his problems.

It's a teenage POV and his self righteous attitude about his "lot in life" is patently ridiculous.

Still love those Smith's albums. Not one of his solo songs have ever matched even the worst Smith's song. (If there is a worst.)

by Anonymousreply 35June 28, 2014 5:03 PM

R35-Mary!

by Anonymousreply 36June 28, 2014 5:06 PM

EAT

A

STEAK

BITCH

by Anonymousreply 37June 28, 2014 5:08 PM

He's only a quarter as clever as he imagines he is. At most. The strained effort to impress on everyone how bookish and cutting he is is extremely tedious.

by Anonymousreply 38June 28, 2014 5:56 PM

Holy shit. I can't keep this to myself, tonight I saw firsthand evidenxe that Morrissey has had an on/off with Russell Mael of Sparks for DECADES. This is mental.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2015 7:47 AM

h

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2015 8:58 AM

Wow, any more deets, R39? Had never even heard they knew each other.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2015 4:27 PM

Morrissey is a huge Sparks fanatic. Sparks also released a single, "Lighten Up, Morrissey", in jest. What did you see?

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2015 4:42 PM

BUUUUUUMP!!!!

We're waiting!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43February 12, 2015 4:48 PM

His autobiography is not that "new". I bought it two years ago! The cover photo of Morrissey is hot. Mmmmm!

by Anonymousreply 44February 12, 2015 4:50 PM

Are there any pics of the two of them together? I'd like to see the pic of him with his head in Walters lap that he described.

by Anonymousreply 45February 12, 2015 5:01 PM

Alright how to tell without incriminating myself...I will fill in details as I can though. so Sparks are playing two huge shows this weekend in LA, I am directly involved in the production. One of my scamp colleagues had Russ's computer as we were aiding in the transferring of some files, and we peeped the mail app because we're shameless cunts. My colleague sees the name "sm" on a massive email thread, loads of replies, and we immediately know figure it's Morrissey, as we've both corresponded with him/his team on former jobs. Obviously we can't help ourselves, all the recent exchanges were about the show or other boring pleasantries, so we clicked around the middle, and there are these exchanges of intimacy, recollections of things, Morrissey expressing angst about living in a spotlight and feeling unable to be with anyone publicly, something like "let alone it be a man, and let alone that man be you, with your image", jealousy of Russell/women, I'm talking hundreds of exchanges, we weren't able to scan it all and found no juicy photos, but there is something between these two and I'm floored. These are musical heroes of mine and there was something so touching about it but also terrifying because my god, how intrusive. I feel ill about reading on but... I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 46February 12, 2015 8:34 PM

omg that is equal parts juicy and horrible R46. Juicy as in finally some real gossip, but horrible as in WTF, your friend committed a huge, huge betrayal of trust. You really should not have posted this. Please continue!

by Anonymousreply 47February 12, 2015 8:40 PM

[quote]His autobiography is not that "new"

Hey, braintrust. This thread *is* two years old.

by Anonymousreply 48February 12, 2015 8:46 PM

That would have been juicer for his autobio, IF IT WERE TRUENice try, though, thanks for participating. NEEEXT!

by Anonymousreply 49February 12, 2015 9:12 PM

More, more, more [46]

by Anonymousreply 50February 12, 2015 9:30 PM

You should sell to the highest bidder, r46. I love The Smiths but fuck Morrissey, he is an A1 prick.

by Anonymousreply 51February 12, 2015 9:39 PM

I don't know what else to say, I'm only posting it because again, I think it's the juiciest thing I've ever come across in all my career, I was rather sloshed last night, and I haven't directly identified myself or my colleague. I... have so much respect for them both, this is the maddest cognitive dissonance I've ever experienced!

by Anonymousreply 52February 12, 2015 9:44 PM

Yes Morrissey is a cunt I still like him. And so is my friend Julie.

by Anonymousreply 53February 12, 2015 9:52 PM

R46, are you still ill ;?)

by Anonymousreply 54February 12, 2015 9:56 PM

@R54 ha! I am indeed.

by Anonymousreply 55February 12, 2015 10:32 PM

How is this not a huge story

by Anonymousreply 56February 13, 2015 5:47 PM

?

by Anonymousreply 57February 14, 2015 9:30 AM

He has no lips!

by Anonymousreply 58February 14, 2015 9:46 AM

It must not be true R56

by Anonymousreply 59February 14, 2015 9:16 PM

R59 I think it's totally plausible but like, Sparks are too cult/glam for anyone to be surprised or give a shit that they would be gay. The Morrissey detail is really interesting though, because he has alluded to a former partner within the music business in multiple interviews

by Anonymousreply 60February 15, 2015 12:46 AM

Hopefully the guilt ridden gossip queen comes back with some juicy detail after the show

by Anonymousreply 61February 15, 2015 12:50 AM

of course they know each other morrissey is the one who talked them into doing this show

by Anonymousreply 62February 15, 2015 1:20 AM

But why didn't he write about this relationship in his book? Or did he? Has anyone here read it?

by Anonymousreply 63February 15, 2015 3:41 AM

He's here right now, I haven't seen him interact with Russell yet, watching very wishfully with DL fired up on my phone. Alex Kapranos from Franz Ferdinand is here and I'd love to be ravaged by him on this lonely fake holiday but he Google says he's straight. Side note: I've had a few and must gripe that I find it terribly irritating that the Sparks guys insist on utilising UK spellings for everything. They're using PROGRAMME and HARBOUR on their merch board and I'm two pints from shrieking about Americans appropriating UK culture. However, I am in their country...

by Anonymousreply 64February 15, 2015 7:28 AM

Morrissey and both Mael brothers have been friends since the 80's. His last lover was a straight-indentifying Italian, and he has a close friend/former lover named Charles who he lives with when he's in L.A. (Charles also takes care of their dogs, so Morrissey can't cunt him out of his life.) R46 needs to take his meds.

by Anonymousreply 65February 16, 2015 7:04 PM

Morrissey has the most beautiful dark blue eyes. He looks every year of his age, but the eyes are still the most beautiful color.

by Anonymousreply 66February 16, 2015 10:39 PM

Charlie Brown R64? The father of the baby who Moz is holding on an album cover?

by Anonymousreply 67February 22, 2015 8:21 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 68March 7, 2015 4:28 AM

I haven't read the book. By the way, did Morrissey ever date a woman, or he was romantically involved only with men?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 7, 2015 4:08 PM

Apparently he was with women and men.

by Anonymousreply 70April 7, 2015 4:34 PM

[quote] Apparently he was with women and men.

Oh, Morrissey, don't be silly. Pete Burns is *not* a woman.

by Anonymousreply 71April 7, 2015 4:38 PM

Can YOU imagine Morrissey with a girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 72April 7, 2015 4:38 PM

I think Morrissey is just gay, but he is too vain to admit that. So he implies that he is bisexual.I believe he is attracted sexually only to men. That's only my opinion, of course...

Great singer, i love his work, but i didn't like his last album much...

by Anonymousreply 73April 7, 2015 4:45 PM

His nephew directed his newest video. It is one of the worst videos I have ever seen. I can't understand how someone who once supervised the design of the coolest LP and EP sleeves of all time could allow a video this bad to happen.

by Anonymousreply 74April 7, 2015 4:53 PM

R74, I agree it's a bad video. I assume Mozz paid for it himself, as Captiol dropped him a month after his album came out last summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 7, 2015 5:30 PM

[quote]He also recounts an exchange at an airport. "'Well,' says the woman in the British Airways lounge, 'you're either very close brothers or lovers.' 'Can't brothers be lovers?' I imprudently reply – always ready with the pointlessly pert, whether sensible or not."

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 76April 7, 2015 5:33 PM

I would like to know more about his relationship with Billy Mackenzie. Does he talk about that in the book at all?

by Anonymousreply 77April 8, 2015 2:05 AM

Why Morrissey and Alain Whyte don't work together anymore? Is there bad blood between them? What happened? Does Morrissey talk in his book about it?

Is Jesse Tobias gay...?

by Anonymousreply 78April 8, 2015 5:39 PM

Morrissey seems to fall out with almost all his collaborators at some point.

by Anonymousreply 79April 8, 2015 6:51 PM

I don't believe he's ever had any girlfriends. Is there any proof?

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2016 10:07 AM

R80 the only proof you need is to bend him over and see that battered rosebud to realise that his ass has had more traffic in it than Clapham Junction.

by Anonymousreply 81December 11, 2016 2:09 AM

Russ Mael and Mozza?!!!

by Anonymousreply 82November 9, 2018 3:03 PM

I never knew Morrissey was in the closet. From the second I ever heard of him, it was always said, by everyone he was a gay.

by Anonymousreply 83November 9, 2018 3:17 PM

Morrissey's favorite singles and abums:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2020 10:04 AM

*albums

by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2020 10:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!