Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gig Young

Saw him an an episode of "The Twilight Zone" early this morning and was fascinated by his screen presence. Read up on him and discovered he had a pretty tragic later life, mostly because of his alcoholism (Elizabeth Montgomery divorced him because of it). Any stories about this Oscar winner?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 30, 2018 7:38 AM

He shot is last wife (new bride) and then turned the gun on himself.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2013 11:07 PM

I wanted Doris Day to pick him over Frank Sinatra the first time I saw "Young at Heart".

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2013 11:09 PM

Gig Young was originally slated to play The Waco Kid in Blazing Saddles but he was so sloshed that Mel Brooks shit-canned him and hired Gene Wilder,

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2013 11:21 PM

Didn't his ex wife destroy her face with bad plastic surgery?

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2013 11:23 PM

I'd read that he passed out on the "Blazing Saddles" set and was fired. He must've shown up stone cold D-R-U-N-K!

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2013 11:34 PM

He was the great love of Elaine Strich's life. He was a divorced Protestant and Strich was a convent-educated Catholic. He, ne Byron Barr, and Strich ended their relationshio

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2013 11:34 PM

Yes, his ex, the late "realtor to the stars" Elaine Young, fucked up her face with silicone injections. (The surgeon, Jack Startz, was the same guy who remade Scott Thorson in Liberace's image.)

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2013 11:35 PM

He was slated to be "Charlie" of CHARLIE'S ANGELS, but was too drunk to perform. John Forsythe was in the building and he was drafted to read the part of Charlie Townsend

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2013 11:36 PM

Coincidentally this afternoon on YouTube I watched The Neon Ceiling for the first time since seeing it on TV as a child. Lee Grant was great of course but I was quite impressed by Gig Young.

Living in NYC when he killed himself and his new wife I remember it as a big new story.

Following is link to his biography which I now want to reread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2013 11:38 PM

His fourth wife, also named Elaine, was a celebrity real estate agent, selling properties in Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2013 11:41 PM

He was great in THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2013 11:42 PM

I always get Gig Young and Robert Long confused.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2013 12:00 AM

An underrated actor, in my view, possibly because of his alcoholism. His stage name came from a part he played in a movie with Barbara Stanwyck:

[quote]His early work was uncredited or as Byron Barr (not to be confused with another actor with the same name, Byron Barr), but after appearing in the 1942 film The Gay Sisters as a character named "Gig Young", the studio decided that he should adopt this name professionally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2013 12:03 AM

R13, you mean Richard Long?

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2013 12:03 AM

Didn't he leave a suicide note saying he killed himself because he was bored? Or was that someone else?

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2013 12:11 AM

R16, that was George Sanders (one of Zsa Zsa Gabor's ex-husbands).

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2013 12:13 AM

OVERrated actor. Drunk.

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2013 12:14 AM

Yes, he was, R12. He also was great and hilarious in Lovers and Other Strangers, another fantastic ensemble film.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2013 12:22 AM

He was hilarious and perhaps the best thing about THAT TOUCH OF MINK, the Doris Day and Cary Grant rom-com that was a box office hit, but a critical dud.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2013 12:25 AM

It was George Sanders, who in his suicide note, said that he was taking his own life because he was bored,

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2013 12:38 AM

Gig Young became an alcoholic because he never got to be the lead in films. Mainly he was cast as the supporting actor. Gig Young suicide was a murder suicide because he shot his wife then himself. I think he couldn't handle his career going down the tubes and it was too much for him to handle.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2013 12:53 AM

R20 No, hon. I was the best thing in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2013 1:43 AM

Young won Oscar nominations for COME FILL THE CUP in 1951, playing an alcoholic that ex-alcoholic Jimmy Cagney tries to sober up; and a child shrink in TEACHER'S PET (opposite Clark Gable and Doris Day)

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2013 1:48 AM

Gig Young was often confused with Robert Sterling and Richard Long. I call them "The Triplets."

Pictured is Robert Sterling. As a kid I watched him and his wife Ann Jefferys play George and Marion Kirby in "Topper" on TV. And she's still alive!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2013 2:02 AM

Robert Stering was married to Ann Sothern; their daughter is actress Tish Sterling

by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2013 2:16 AM

Here's a picture of Richard Long with a good friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2013 2:24 AM

Elaine Young was one of the first semi-famous plastic surgery disasters. Today, she's alarming-looking but hardly unique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2013 2:31 AM

I, too, had a thing for Gig Young years ago and looked into his tragic life.

Of course he was a raging alcoholic and shot his wife and killed himself (you can find online the address and apartment number in NYC).

But also, I'm recollecting here, he got a big role in (I think it was) Blazing Saddles--the comedy. And on his first or second day of filming had an alcohol withdrawal seizure on set and had to be taken to hospital. It turns out he was trying to quit alcohol cold turkey the day or two he was set to begin filming and his body couldn't take it and hence seizures. He was promptly fired.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2013 4:09 AM

Yes, R29, it was talked about at R3 and R6.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2013 4:13 AM

I am reading the bio of Liz Montgomery now. Damn, she was hot.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2013 4:13 AM

Why didn't he just kill himself & let his poor wife alone?

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2013 4:52 AM

[quote]I wanted Doris Day to pick him over Frank Sinatra the first time I saw "Young at Heart".

Not me, I loved that the clean cut nice girl was more attracted to the streetwise, talented stumblebum Barney Sloane.

Young at Heart and the Twilight Zone episode Walking Distance are the only things I've ever seen Gig Young in and he was very good in them both. But what a dramatic off-screen life.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2013 4:57 AM

I thought Gig Young was gay.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2013 5:06 AM

His daughter was an actress or a celebrity in the '80s or early 90s. I don't know what happened top her...she used to be on talk shows all the time.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2013 5:09 AM

Two young actors, Bryon Barr and George Bessolo, starred in "Pancho," beginning April 27, 1939 at the Pasadena Playhouse. After being discovered by a scout for Warner Brothers, Jack Warner renamed the two "Gig Young" and "George Reeves."

In the 1950s, Young lived near or next door to the Reeves house on 1579 Benedict Canyon Drive, Los Angeles. After Reeves' alleged suicide by a handgun, Young was one of the pallbearers at the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2013 5:26 AM

Gig had a lot of fans, I guess his alcoholism really ruined his career.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2013 5:31 AM

She looked awful in that picture. Are there no good plastic surgeons in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2013 5:34 AM

Has no one noticed the irony in Richard Long's name: "Dick" Long?

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2013 5:43 AM

I can see some y'all don't know the definition of Ironic.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2013 8:54 AM

R34, he was far from it. He loved women big time, and he once said I'm the straightest actor in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2013 11:15 AM

"His daughter was an actress or a celebrity in the '80s or early 90s. I don't know what happened top her...she used to be on talk shows all the time."

Jennifer Young is her name. She once went on Howard Stern and spilled some good dish, like her once spending a weekend holed up in a hotel room with Grant Show, whom she described as having a perfectly curved cock.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2013 11:26 AM

He was a good actor, but a truly hopeless alcoholic. It's probably best that he was too sick (according to Mel Brooks he showed up for work shaking uncontrollably due to DTs) to do Blazing Saddles. I don't think he was right for that role in the first place.

He was perfect as the MC in They Shoot Horses, Don't They? "Yowza, yowza"...perfect!

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2013 1:32 PM

I think he took his name, Gig Young, from a character in one of his first movies.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2013 1:42 PM

"His early work was uncredited or as Byron Barr (not to be confused with another actor with the same name, Byron Barr), but after appearing in the 1942 film The Gay Sisters as a character named "Gig Young", the studio decided that he should adopt this name professionally."

"The Gay Sisters" should be remade, using the same title.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2013 1:56 PM

Gig Young was so cute back in the day. So adorable in The Gay Sisters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2013 2:07 PM

I was watching an episode of The Rogues and Gig reminded me of someone with MS like Mike JFox has the uncontrollable twitch. Anybody know of this?

by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2015 8:25 PM

Young shot his wife and himself in their apartment at the Osborne, which is now occupied by the building's superintendent (it is on the first floor, down a hallway from the lobby). His calendar was on his desk, open to a page a couple of weeks earlier, on which he had noted, "Got married today."

by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2015 9:07 PM

Gig? It sounds like what a homosexual would nickname his arse

by Anonymousreply 48January 30, 2018 7:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!