Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Makeup for Men

What do you guys consider the best makeup for men?

I mean something like a tinted moisturizer to add some color during the fall and winter. Or do you just add some bronzer to your regular moisturizer? If so, what are some good bronzers that look like real sun tan?

by Anonymousreply 194June 5, 2018 11:43 PM

Have you checked with John Boehner?

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2013 4:30 AM

BB cream. Even an inexpensive one like Loreal does wonders. I've been amazed, especially when I see my face in photos.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2013 4:32 AM

I love this shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2013 4:34 AM

I knew you guys would shit on me for asking - and yet I see plenty of guys at the makeup counters at Bloomingdales. Guess I'm just too shy to be one of them.

My skin is really good. I use retina-a and nia 24. I just want some color, but bronzer is too dark for me.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2013 5:21 AM

From the "Glamor cougar over 70" thread:

"I met years ago a former dancer at Warner Brothers during the 1930s. She was a 70 year old cougar for real, hence the inspiration for this thread. She looked to be in her mid-30s. She was of Scots-Irish ancestry and had blond hair going gray and blue eyes. She was very fair and had only a crease mark between her brows. And no livers spots on her hands! When going outside, she always worn a wide brim hat and gloves! She was raised in Fort Worth and I always wondered if this was a Texas custom. But this lady was adamant about not using any sunscreen or soap on your face. Just clean with water, use Ponds to remove makeup when needed. She did do the drinking plenty of water thing. She had a sister who smoked, drank and sunbathed and was 60 or so but looked 120."

The best makeup is stay out of the sun. And avoid the habits of the younger sister, who looked like the picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2013 5:31 AM

It is hideously femminate for a man to be so insecure like this.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2013 5:44 AM

No! Men don't wear makeup. Period.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2013 10:20 AM

God I don't want to get old.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2013 1:20 PM

[quote]God I don't want to get old.

Good luck with that.

God

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2013 1:37 PM

Make-up for men is a marketing con job.

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2013 2:51 PM

Slate's former tech writer Farhad Manjoo wrote a column on this (with pics) the other day that you might find interesting, OP. Basically, he found he found he really liked the subtle improvements that minimalist HD makeup applied with an airbrush gave him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2013 5:40 PM

Oh God just cut it off and be done with it. I'd rather have a fun filled life doing what I enjoyed and look like the link in R5 than worry about gloves, hats, sunscreen, etc etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2013 5:56 PM

Nothing states "masculinity" more boldly than a man wearing make-up!

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2013 5:58 PM

Remember, miss thangs: blend, blend, blend!

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2013 6:00 PM

I voted r1 for wit and wisdom

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2013 6:01 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2013 6:02 PM

Reminds me of the scene in The Birdcage were the sons runs his finger down Armand's face and then paints the wall with the makeup that stuck to his finger

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2013 6:09 PM

R11 Farhad is hot with or without makeup.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2013 6:10 PM

"Slate's former tech writer Farhad Manjoo wrote a column on this (with pics) the other day that you might find interesting, OP. Basically, he found he found he really liked the subtle improvements that minimalist HD makeup applied with an airbrush gave him."

Professional makeup artists can apply makeup so that it looks like you aren't wearing anything. Doing your own makeup is dicier - you could just wind up looking like a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2013 6:15 PM

When I hit my mid-50s my skin started looking blotchy and shiny. Clinique makes a very light powder in many skin shades that comes in a compact that just evens out my skin tone and is completely undetectable. I just need a little dusting of it on my forehead.

You'll all understand better when you reach that age.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2013 6:16 PM

What self-respecting dude, gay or straight, is silly and self-absorbed enough to wear makeup? Rs 6, 7 and 10 have it right. Do something worthwhile with your life, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2013 6:20 PM

Blonde highlights, bronzer, and a good concealer are a must after 40 for many of us fair-skinned boys!

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2013 6:26 PM

The best makeup for men is no makeup.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2013 6:37 PM

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2013 6:41 PM

I've avoided the embarrassment of sashaying up to the cosmetic counter by using Sherman Williams. This has worked for almost half a century. I keep costs down by using the stains instead of the matt surface coverings. SW has the widest range of colors too. SW also makes some mighty fine spackle. You have to add your own color as it only comes in bone white.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2013 6:46 PM

[quote]. I just want some color, but bronzer is too dark for me.

Oh, Lady Mary!!

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2013 6:49 PM

this is why they hate us

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2013 6:53 PM

Please tell me your name is Mark Miller and you're finally taking DL's advice to cover up that rosacea. GURL!

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2013 6:53 PM

I'm telling you, BB creams are where it's at.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2013 6:57 PM

I recommend Smashbox primer. It makes a huge difference for my skin: minimizes pores, evens out redness and discoloration, gets rid of the shine and somehow even seems to conceal small blemishes. I have it in three shades - clear, green (sheer when applied, but it cancels redness) and bronze. Tarte also makes an amazing BB cream for days when I need a bit of coverage. The primers are undetectable, and the BB cream is only visible from very close up. All this talk about "vanity" and "masculinity" is such horseshit. As if all you queens give not a whiff about how you look. Puh-leeze!! Y'all are just too afraid to peruse the women's side of Sephora!!

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2013 7:01 PM

If you really think you need makeup, I'll echo r30's suggestion of a primer. It will even out your skin tone a little bit without being as noticeable as a foundation or even a BB cream/tinted moisturizer.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2013 7:04 PM

I forgot to mention about Sherman Williams. Apparently management has noticed the newer cosmetic uses for their products. They now have murse sized containers, 1pint tiny buckets. I'll admit, those gallon cans ruin most ensembles, not to mention the difficulty of finding matching earrings.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2013 7:05 PM

Wow, R32, hilarious. Let me guess,, straight-acting? What a bore you are.

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2013 7:13 PM

Men should never use makeup, but good moisturizer, eye cream, toner, and a proper diet can do wonders.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2013 7:19 PM

Why not, R34?

Has this board been handed over to the gay bros?

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2013 7:23 PM

Jackie Beat recommends slapping some grease paint on that mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2013 7:48 PM

Gaybelline.

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2013 7:50 PM

R21 what do you wear out in public? Shit? Do you cut your hair? Shave?

If you do anything for your appearance you're a hypocrite.

If you don't stay in your basement.

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2013 7:55 PM

It may be risky business telling you this, but an aging movie star that still looks great uses self-tanner and not much else.

I think this is better than bronzer or tinted moisturizer because it builds slowly and can be stopped before the situation becomes embarrassingly dark orange.

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2013 8:02 PM

I recommend Taxsxl (Tan-sexual), a product I developed myself! Only $54 including shipping.

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2013 8:04 PM

LMAO @ "Sherman" Williams

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2013 8:05 PM

Chris Meloni's wife is Sherman Williams.

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2013 8:09 PM

Risky, R39? Bitch, please.

Who is the aging movie star? Zac Efron?

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2013 8:12 PM

BB cream is a great way for men to mositurize and even their skin tone out without going for the makeup look. And, as a previous poster said, Loreal's is the cheapest and one of the best. Asian men used BB cream long before it was introduced into the Western market.

One thing I have found may sound weird, but cleaning my face with chickpea flour has done wonders for cleaning my pores, keeping my skin smooth and even toned, and has even tightened my skin. It's a traditional Indian custom, and an Indian guy I was dating turned me on to it. You can buy chickpea flour in the international sections in supermarkets (known as besan flour). Make a little paste with some water. For a mask, put a little tumeric in the mixture (but not too much because that stuff stains your skin orange).

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2013 8:21 PM

r39 means Tom Cruise, who also has been known to frequent spas to use fruit-based conditioning masks to promote hair growth. He is into masks and facials as well.

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2013 8:25 PM

R44 I will try that!

by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2013 8:26 PM

I tried this once and it didn't work. I don't recall the brand....it wasn't cheap stuff, though.

Initially I was really happy with how tanned and flawless my skin looked....but when people started staring at me - noticing I was wearing makeup - I felt even worse.

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2013 8:31 PM

"Covergirl don't cover boy"

I love that quote.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2013 8:33 PM

Thanks for the tip, R44, I'll give it a try.

For those of you who are interested, I would recommend makeupalley.com for product reviews. Anyone can post a review, so it's fairly independent, and you can sort by age, skin type, etc. It used to be mostly all female reviewers, but quite a few men have started posting in recent years. That's how I discovered the wonders of Smasbox primers and Tarte BB primer.

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2013 8:33 PM

I like a little clear gloss on my lips when I'm out for the evening and feeling a bit sassy.

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2013 8:34 PM

You might think people don't notice you're wearing make up, but here's what they see:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2013 8:43 PM

There is just nothing wrong with a man wearing tasteful makeup.

I'm jealous of some of my BF's makeup collections. Not crazy stuff but really functional, worthwhile products that look natural and greatly improve the appearance of the skin.

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2013 8:44 PM

Why be jealous? Just use some!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2013 8:47 PM

I've gotten good results with Olay Total Effects 7 in One: basically a moisturizer, with a light tint. If you think it's makeup, then you don't know what makeup is. It really just evens skin tone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 6, 2013 8:53 PM

Miss Cillian Murphy's makeup if the most life-changing for men.

by Anonymousreply 55October 6, 2013 8:55 PM

I love to crack jokes about men wearing makeup, but the truth is I really give a damn if "they" do or don't. Sure, I personally find visible makeup a turn off, but obviously others don't. Besides, who in their right mind is going to insult another person for something as benign as wearing makeup? If the stuff floats your boat, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2013 8:59 PM

Sherman Williams and Benjamin Moore should go out on a date!

by Anonymousreply 57October 6, 2013 9:04 PM

Thanks for saying that, R56. Sorry about my shrill response, I tend to get really defensive about the whole makeup thing and lose my sense of humour.

Basically, I guess I am insecure about my looks and primer/bb helps me feel a touch more confident.

by Anonymousreply 58October 6, 2013 9:10 PM

r58 how does makeup make you feel better about your looks? I don't get it.

If people can tell you're wearing makeup, you look like a guy with makeup on. If you can't see it, what's the point?

I think most of the guys who wear makeup don't know that others can tell. If you want to wear it, great, but don't kid yourself.

by Anonymousreply 59October 6, 2013 9:18 PM

I work near 34th street in NYC. Last year when riding the subway, I would occasionally see a thirty-something man on the train always dressed in black and obviously wearing makeup. It dawned on me that he must have worked one of the cosmetic counters at Macy's. I'm sure he thought he looked flawless, but others were glancing at him the same way I was. It looked so strange in the harsh light of the subway.

by Anonymousreply 60October 6, 2013 9:33 PM

"Coloured girl, why your face look like chalk?"

by Anonymousreply 61October 6, 2013 9:43 PM

Clown.

by Anonymousreply 62October 6, 2013 9:50 PM

What is "BB Cream"?

by Anonymousreply 63October 6, 2013 10:10 PM

BB means Beauty/Blemish Baum. I believe it originated from Germany and became very popular in Asia, and now in North America. It's a cream with light to medium amount of foundation to cover up imperfections, along with benefits that heal the skin and reduce blemishes, anti-aging, sun protection, etc. It's similar to a tinted moisturizer, but with more benefits.

by Anonymousreply 64October 6, 2013 10:17 PM

^ A BB cream is basically a tinted moisturizer with some skin care ingredients added to it (like sunscreen, antioxidants, or peptides)

by Anonymousreply 65October 6, 2013 10:18 PM

I ain't puttin' no fuckin' BAREBACK cream on my face. That's crazy!

by Anonymousreply 66October 6, 2013 10:20 PM

I think there is a difference between "covering up" and wearing full makeup.

by Anonymousreply 67October 6, 2013 10:46 PM

Whatever Kelkan Lutz uses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 6, 2013 10:57 PM

My problem is that I always have rough or red skin after shaving with occasional ingrown hairs that resemble pimples. I want something that I can put on after that would even out my skin and cover up those ingrowns - is that BB cream a good choice?

by Anonymousreply 69October 6, 2013 11:01 PM

r69 have you switched shave creams? tried an electric razor? shaved in a different direction? tried witch hazel after shaving?

I'd try to eliminate the cause of the irritation rather than cover it up.

by Anonymousreply 70October 6, 2013 11:18 PM

What do you queens do for a living that allows you to show up wearing makeup???

by Anonymousreply 71October 7, 2013 12:06 AM

R69, I experience the same thing as you do. I get intense razor burn and redness after shaving since I have really coarse hair. You can reduce ingrown hair and bumps by not shaving against the grain. Also make sure to use a good aftershave.

As for covering up redness, I use NARS Tinted Moisturizer. It does wonders hiding redness like razor burns. It's super light in coverage, but buildable. Gives you a great even skin tone. Doesn't look like you're wearing anything.

BB creams are way way too heavy in thickness and in coverage. I suggest you stay away from them. I haven't had any good experience with them.

by Anonymousreply 72October 7, 2013 12:26 AM

Dear Lord in Heaven!!

by Anonymousreply 73October 7, 2013 12:35 AM

[quote] I have it in three shades - clear, green (sheer when applied, but it cancels redness) and bronze.

Unless you're trying out for the role of Elphaba in Wicked, I don't know why anyone would want green skin?

by Anonymousreply 74October 7, 2013 12:40 AM

R72 clearly your face is just TOO masculine to take the cream!

by Anonymousreply 75October 7, 2013 12:40 AM

I am 46 and i use a tinted primer from laura geller. Give my skin a healthy glow and also the primer gives my skin the appearance of reduced wrinkles and reduced redness. It comes in a large bottle and is in a light gel form and you only need to use a pea size amount. I am in the uk and buy it from qvc. It is great. Try it a tinted primer.its simple to use and cost approx £28.

by Anonymousreply 76October 7, 2013 12:44 AM

[quote]Also make sure to use a good aftershave.

Examples of good aftershave (and why) please. Expensive isn't always good. Some of the cheap stuff is just fine. Witch hazel on a cotton ball is best IMO.

by Anonymousreply 77October 7, 2013 12:46 AM

Jesus Christ. Are you kidding me with this makeup shit??

If your skin is looking shitty, you need to TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR SKIN. Get yourself some good exfoliating pads, a good moisturizer, some Green Cream level 9 and a low level glycolic acid. Maybe some eye cream. If you aren't a woman or a drag queen, keep the makeup off your face. BB cream is STILL foundation.

by Anonymousreply 78October 7, 2013 1:03 AM

R77, I use Kiehl's Ultimate Razor Bump Relief. It's on the expensive side but works wonderfully. Reduces bumps, redness, burn and ingrown hair. I used to get a lot of razor bumps since my hair is coarse, but this works great and I don't notice any bumps throughout the day. Absorbs quickly into the skin and doesn't leave any scent. Well worth it.

I've used cheaper alternatives like Nivea in the past and it wasn't bad and was very soothing, but I stopped using it after they changed the formula and the scent was horrid.

Anthony Logistics is another great brand. Worth trying also.

by Anonymousreply 79October 7, 2013 1:06 AM

Green cream has alcohol which is bad for skin. Use retin a micro

by Anonymousreply 80October 7, 2013 1:18 AM

I know Datalounge won't go for it because it's all natural and CHEAP. Here is all you need. Coconut oil. Put it on at night and will heal and protect your skin. In about a three week period it will fade or clear up any blemish you have. Plus it has an awesome smell. A light coat before shaving, under your shaving cream, and you'll never have a blemish, nick, or ingrown hair again

Like I say though. It doesn't cost a lot so I doubt DL will go for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 7, 2013 1:19 AM

4VOO "Shine Reduction Powder" www.4voo.com

by Anonymousreply 82October 7, 2013 1:26 AM

Coconut oil clogs pores. Have fun having pimples.

by Anonymousreply 83October 7, 2013 1:34 AM

what about cc cream?

by Anonymousreply 84October 7, 2013 1:37 AM

And makeup doesn't? I work outdoors and in a cold climate. I put it on every night and shave with it in the morning. Never gave me a zit. I've turned a lot of people onto it and they've never complained. But go ahead and buy your BB cream.

by Anonymousreply 85October 7, 2013 1:39 AM

If you're gonna try BB cream, STAY AWAY FROM MAYBELLINE. It made me break out into a rash after a couple of days use, and that's never happened to me before. L'oreal and Revlon are fine, but I like Dr. Jarts+ Premium in the gold tube the best.

by Anonymousreply 86October 7, 2013 1:47 AM

[quote]Has this board been handed over to the gay bros?

no, but non-theatrical makeup is quite laughable. you go out in PUBLIC with make-up? really?

by Anonymousreply 87October 7, 2013 1:52 AM

Sunscreens are a proven cause of skin cancer.

Putting man-made chemicals on your skin is never a good idea. Ever wonder why women's face seem to age faster than men's?

by Anonymousreply 88October 7, 2013 1:58 AM

women are suckers

by Anonymousreply 89October 7, 2013 2:02 AM

Aloe gel and use a Clarisonic every day.

by Anonymousreply 90October 7, 2013 2:07 AM

Moist is my word du jour.

by Anonymousreply 91October 7, 2013 2:08 AM

"Sunscreens are a proven cause of skin cancer."

Nope, those studies were debunked. You are gullible - don't believe everything you read.

"Putting man-made chemicals on your skin is never a good idea"

All skin care products are "man-made" not just sunscreen. Just because something is "man-made" doesn't mean it's bad for you.

"Ever wonder why women's face seem to age faster than men's?"

Women are more likely to use tanning beds than men.

by Anonymousreply 92October 7, 2013 2:36 AM

[quote]but I like dr. Jarts+premium in the gold tube the best.

I like dr. Farts + precum in the black throbbing tube the best!

by Anonymousreply 93October 7, 2013 2:43 AM

[quote]I am 46 and i use a tinted primer from laura geller. Give my skin a healthy glow and also the primer gives my skin the appearance of reduced wrinkles and reduced redness.

And if you're male, it makes people think "That dude is wearing makeup." Rock on, makeup-wearing male.

by Anonymousreply 94October 7, 2013 2:45 AM

[quote]I use Kiehl's Ultimate Razor Bump Relief. It's on the expensive side but works wonderfully. Reduces bumps, redness, burn and ingrown hair.

Active ingredient: salicylic acid. If you made a paste with aspirin tablets you'd get the same benefits, and save a fortune.

But Kiehl's marketing is all about making you feel special for being spendy. You're worth it.

by Anonymousreply 95October 7, 2013 2:48 AM

r92, the studies are not debunked, they're being contested by the makers of sunscreen. There already have been lawsuits on the fraudulent claims of the sunscreen makers as to the "protection" they give.

Ever read the label of that sun lotion bottle? It's filled with proven carcinogens, but the corrupt FDA still allows this shit to be sold.

All the skin cancer patients I know of personally used sunscreen, and it doesn't work. If you go to Australia, they have these salons everywhere to remove cancers from your skin. It doesn't work there either and may have increased the chance of skin cancer.

The reason why women's faces age faster is the stuff they put on their face. I was the poster who knew the 70 year old woman who looked 35. She put nothing on her face. She did stay out of the sun though. That hag of her younger sister had full makeup on the few times I met her. She was 60 and looked like that old woman in the previous post.

This ex-Warner Brothers dancer also used only water to clean her skin. No soap. Maybe cold cream to remove the little makeup she used on rare occasions.

Why take a chance by putting chemicals whose names you can't pronounce on your face?

by Anonymousreply 96October 7, 2013 2:55 AM

A couple of things that helped with my razor burn issues... I use Prorasio sensitive blend shave soap (requires a brush), I put on a layer of hair conditioner before the soap (shaving oil or coconut oil also works), and after the shave I rub my face with a frozen cube of 50-50 aloe juice and witch hazel (the kind without alcohol, otherwise they don't freeze well) that I've made using an ice cube tray, I keep them in the freezer.)

by Anonymousreply 97October 7, 2013 2:58 AM

"Active ingredient: salicylic acid. If you made a paste with aspirin tablets you'd get the same benefits, and save a fortune"

No. The active ingredient is the same but the delivery system is not. Plus you want something you can leave on your skin, a liquid or gel that will penetrate your skin, not a paste

by Anonymousreply 98October 7, 2013 2:58 AM

There is no such thing as a 70yo who looks 35. No such human has ever existed.

by Anonymousreply 99October 7, 2013 3:04 AM

R99, Joan Collins. Of corse, she is practically a mannequin.

by Anonymousreply 100October 7, 2013 3:05 AM

Kiehl's Ultimate Razor Bump Relief sounds like Tend Skin. You can make your own cheaply with aspirin, witch hazel, and rubbing alcohol (or vodka/everclear), there are homemade recipes for Tend Skin online. It definitely works for ingrown hairs/bumps.

by Anonymousreply 101October 7, 2013 3:11 AM

r70, the one change that has seemed to make a little difference is using a Clean & Clear astringent before and after shaving.

by Anonymousreply 102October 7, 2013 3:11 AM

I spread cum on my skin every night and it does wonders

by Anonymousreply 103October 7, 2013 3:13 AM

35???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 7, 2013 3:14 AM

This group of gays is WAY different from the rest of us cock sucking, basketball playing BROs!

Makeup on men! Bahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 105October 7, 2013 3:16 AM

What's that pretty makeup the football guys all smear under their eyes?

It's very fetching!

by Anonymousreply 106October 7, 2013 3:17 AM

OP, I use L'Oreal Men's Anti-pale look self tanner a few times per week. It adds subtle color and evens out my red, ruddy skin tone -- especially the booze nose.

It's much cheaper than brands like Lab Series for Men, Clinique, etc., and does not give the makeup look that bronzers and tinted moisturizers do.

by Anonymousreply 107October 7, 2013 3:34 AM

You sound horrid

by Anonymousreply 108October 7, 2013 3:38 AM

No one knows I wear primer, and you bitches can cackle about how deluded I am all you want, but it's true. My BF now wears it too, as he was shocked to see what a difference it made to his skin while also being undetectable. There are tons of guys out there using subtle cosmetic enhancements like primer, believe me (straight ones, too). Only a fraction of the guys out there wearing makeup look "made up" like the boys at the MAC counter. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 109October 7, 2013 4:32 AM

what primer do you use, r58?

by Anonymousreply 110October 7, 2013 4:36 AM

I use Smashbox, and if you buy the original clear formula it will be absolutely undetectable. If you go to Sephora, they will give you samples to try before you purchase.

by Anonymousreply 111October 7, 2013 4:50 AM

r109, don't kid yourself, everyone notices the smudges around the neckline of you caftan.

by Anonymousreply 112October 7, 2013 4:52 AM

If you guys continue to wear makeup, you're going to end up looking like Boris Karloff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 7, 2013 4:53 AM

[quote]My BF now wears it too, as he was shocked to see what a difference it made to his skin while also being undetectable

no, you two just BOTH look like bela lugosi too much to see any difference.

by Anonymousreply 114October 7, 2013 4:54 AM

I'm 43 and I've had acne for 30 years. It's better now that it was, but 30 years of acne takes it's toll on your face, even if you're not in the middle of a breakout. In the summer, it still gets quite bad -- heat is not my friend.

There are red spots all over my face. Even after a pimple is gone, a red mark is left behind that often takes a month to fade. The medication I use, which keeps breakouts to a minimum, unfortunately adds to the general redness.

So I use some concealer and a tiny bit of powder over top of it -- my face is an oil slick. I try to by subtle with any makeup, but yeah, maybe people notice. I don't give a fuck. I know what I look like right after I wash my face and I know what I look like after applying some concealer. It's better after. I wear it because I feel less self-conscious about how I look with it than I do without it.

by Anonymousreply 115October 7, 2013 4:59 AM

r109 and his BF:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 7, 2013 5:00 AM

Some of you need to get out more...

I guess worrying about how you look doesn't come into consideration from the privacy of mom's basement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 7, 2013 5:16 AM

R109, we KNOW you wear make-up, NancyBoy. We all Laugh at you!

by Anonymousreply 118October 7, 2013 5:18 AM

R109, you hear the titters you give us in the back room!

by Anonymousreply 119October 7, 2013 5:20 AM

What do you mean? Nobody knows I wear makeup, nobody!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 7, 2013 5:24 AM

Wait, R109 and what is it that you use?

by Anonymousreply 121October 7, 2013 5:31 AM

R109 here. OK, I have to admit that R116 made me laugh. I am going to show that picture to my boyfriend. But the rest of you aren't nearly as witty as you think you are; your comments strike me as really phobic and OLD, if the truth be known.

by Anonymousreply 122October 7, 2013 5:33 AM

That's fine R122, your comments sound nellie as jellyfish on ludes. You are the kind of guys who get beat up at the bus stop at 3AM and don't understand why.

by Anonymousreply 123October 7, 2013 5:35 AM

Primer clogs pores and can cause pimple galore.

by Anonymousreply 124October 7, 2013 5:43 AM

[R91] Brilliant

I don't know what any of this means, but it's simply forcing me to believe it

by Anonymousreply 125October 7, 2013 5:43 AM

115, research fraxel and IPL!

by Anonymousreply 126October 7, 2013 5:44 AM

Wow, major closet case with daddy issues at R123.

Poor dear, she can only afford drugstore makeup and she's feeling bitter.

I wonder why she's reading this thread?

by Anonymousreply 127October 7, 2013 5:46 AM

I'm the OP and I have to say that there are a shitload of self-hating homos on DL. This must have something to do with American culture, because, from what I have been reading, men in other countries, straight as well as gay, appear very comfortable in caring about their appearance, using good skincare, etc.

But here on DL metrosexuals would just be called FAGS.

by Anonymousreply 128October 7, 2013 7:04 AM

Jesus! Marys! Just go see the fucking surgeon and moisturize. I started when I was 20, and it's been worth every penny. No make-up necessary. Pecs, bum, nose, blepharoplasty, and I still have a shopping list. I will NEVER see 30. Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

Oh wait... I'll admit my big flaw. I have hideous feet, and I'm not trusting surgeon with that. Socks must stay on... Fred Flintstone feets.

by Anonymousreply 129October 7, 2013 7:31 AM

[quote]The reason why women's faces age faster is the stuff they put on their face. I was the poster who knew the 70 year old woman who looked 35. She put nothing on her face. She did stay out of the sun though. That hag of her younger sister had full makeup on the few times I met her. She was 60 and looked like that old woman in the previous post.

Looking older or younger than your age depends mainly on three factors: genetics, sun exposure, and whether or not you smoke.

My mother is 71 years old and can easily pass for 50.

And despite what R96 believes, makeup use doesn't affect anything, because my mom wears full makeup (foundation, powder, blush, eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara, and lipstick) every single day. Hell, she even wore full eye makeup for her cataract surgery at 6:00 in the morning, when they told her not to wear makeup!

She obviously has good genetics; her mother (my grandmother) also looks about 20 years younger than her age.

However, the main difference is that my mom was never a sunbather like most other women, nor was she a smoker.

Sun exposure and smoking will age you more than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 130October 7, 2013 7:53 AM

Sorry, R130, but nobody passes for 50 at 71. NOBODY.

If your mom is 71, then you are obviously middle aged and mo doubt scared silly of aging.

Gushing about your Mom's good genetics isn't going to make you pass for 30 again, except for in your own mind.

by Anonymousreply 131October 7, 2013 8:08 AM

BULLSHIT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 7, 2013 8:15 AM

Why is primer different than makeup?

by Anonymousreply 133October 7, 2013 10:26 AM

Nice try, R131.

But I'm adopted, so my mother's good genes do me absolutely zero good.

And, actually, I frequently *do* pass for 30, and I just turned 40.

So nyah! >:p

by Anonymousreply 134October 7, 2013 10:44 AM

The Mum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 7, 2013 10:59 AM

[quote]I knew you guys would shit on me for asking - and yet I see plenty of guys at the makeup counters at Bloomingdales. Guess I'm just too shy to be one of them.

Don't pay attention to those guys dissing you, they are just jealous.

by Anonymousreply 136October 7, 2013 11:14 AM

I thought R135 was Carrot Top lol

by Anonymousreply 137October 7, 2013 11:23 AM

Interesting video of man makeup. I know she thinks she's doing him a favor but she takes a hot guy and turns him into a zombie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 7, 2013 11:33 AM

r44, how do you clean your skin with a paste? I can understand a mask.

by Anonymousreply 139October 7, 2013 12:09 PM

r138, if I didn't see the process, I would not know that the guy was wearing makeup in the end.

by Anonymousreply 140October 7, 2013 12:11 PM

until you saw him in person.

by Anonymousreply 141October 7, 2013 12:15 PM

I'm ready for my cataracts surgery!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 7, 2013 12:31 PM

get korean bb cream off amazon american bb and cc cream is shitty. If you don't want a tinted cream like BB try Loreal Miracle Blur - it is technically a sun screen but it fills and blurs fine lines.

by Anonymousreply 143October 7, 2013 12:33 PM

R138 that guy looks hot.

by Anonymousreply 144October 7, 2013 12:51 PM

To makeup men.

by Anonymousreply 145October 7, 2013 12:57 PM

I love these posters who kid themselves its undetectable. It's always detectable and an instant dealbreaker. Rough skin on men is sexy. Nothing looks worse than a shiny face on a man over 30.

by Anonymousreply 146October 7, 2013 1:10 PM

R146 nails it. These guys go out looking shinier than an oil spill and all the time they are thinking,"I'm beautiful. No one knows I'm wearing makeup!" We've all seen them (and run away from them) in the clubs. They would see and understand the disdain from others if only they weren't so vain.

by Anonymousreply 147October 7, 2013 1:15 PM

I use Mac prep & Prime on my face most days. My skin is like an oil slick and its really the only thing that keeps it looking descent throughout the day. I guess you could consider that makeup.

I dont see anything wrong with dudes beating their faces. I think most of the people protesting are guys who are lucky enough to have nice skin that doesn't need anything.

by Anonymousreply 148October 7, 2013 1:18 PM

Isn't makeup supposed to take the shine away? I'm confused.

by Anonymousreply 149October 7, 2013 1:20 PM

So are they.

by Anonymousreply 150October 7, 2013 1:24 PM

They MOIIIIIIIISSSTURIZE themselves into a stupor. It's better than amyl.

by Anonymousreply 151October 7, 2013 1:24 PM

r149, makeup is supposed to even your natural skin tone, not make it so dull that it looks like you got it done by a mortician. Primer gives your skin a even, dull surface to put foundation and make up on so it looks even.

My skin is so incredibly oily, that by the end of the day, it works it way into my eyes and makes them burn. Therefore, I only use primer. The natural oil in my skin comes through in about an hour and my skin looks normal. Ive never had anyone ask me if I wear makeup, and trust me, the bitches I deal with would ask.

by Anonymousreply 152October 7, 2013 1:34 PM

R152, maybe they already don't need confirmation from you.

by Anonymousreply 153October 7, 2013 1:40 PM

r139, rub the paste all over your skin and then leave it a bit. You'll feel it harden very quickly. Then with some water, rub the paste into your skin in circular motions until you have washed the paste off. Your skin will feel smooth and refreshed.

by Anonymousreply 154October 7, 2013 1:57 PM

Gram (or chick pea) flour as a cleanser:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 7, 2013 1:59 PM

Cover your face with a thick layer of white face powder; apply a more than generous amount of crimson rouge on your cheeks; paint your hair, eyebrows and moustache in the blackest black available, but, by all means, steer clear of the sun!

by Anonymousreply 156October 7, 2013 2:12 PM

What is Brad Pitt's makeup regimen? He used to have awful skin but now it's much better.

by Anonymousreply 157October 7, 2013 2:38 PM

Nothing, unless it's Halloween or you're a performer of some sort.

Women wear makeup to emphasize their youth and fertility or give the illusion of such; not consciously of course, but that's why women look "better" with makeup: they look younger and healthier because we've evolved to prize traits like rosy cheeks and large eyes . Men have no such need for such tricks because men's attractiveness is based on things like facial bone structure and body muscularity.

If you're a man who wants to up his attractiveness, get a decent haircut that flatters your face, possibly grow a beard to hide a weak chin or jaw, and hit the gym. Moisturizers and cleansers are fine (good, in fact), but cosmetics will only make you look like a fool.

by Anonymousreply 158October 7, 2013 2:51 PM

For me it started with just a little makeup and and mascara then I progressed to various wrinkle creams and those silly scientific sounding slathers. Soon after I found a chest clincher that gave me the allusion of boobies which allowed for a boned corset under my country western plaid shirts. Little by little I was becoming a rodeo clown with tits. The amazing part was, no matter how ridiculous I looked there was always someone who thought I was beautiful and became turned on just by sitting on my face.

by Anonymousreply 159October 7, 2013 3:37 PM

I don't know, r159, between your rodeo clown riff and the Sherman Williams stuff upthread, maybe comedy just isn't your bag. Or should I say, your man-purse.

by Anonymousreply 160October 7, 2013 3:50 PM

R157: I would assume Brad Pitt had Fraxel or CO2 resurfacing to treat his scarring. Makeup can make the colour of your skin look better, but cannot do much for the texture.

by Anonymousreply 161October 7, 2013 3:55 PM

Has Brad Pitt changed the color of his skin?

by Anonymousreply 162October 7, 2013 4:23 PM

All the guys you fawn over here, Matt Bomer, Henry Cavill, ALL wear some kind of makeup when they are doing any sort of press. Deal with it bitches.

by Anonymousreply 163October 7, 2013 4:27 PM

I've always used "accent products" on my penis. Correctly applied and it looks 2 inches longer with equal added girth; of course, I can't wear underpants or the lashes fall off.

by Anonymousreply 164October 7, 2013 5:20 PM

R134 I've never met a 40 year old who passes for 30 in broad daylight. NOT ONE. People who tell you otherwise are being dishonest.

But I could tell from your first post that you were an old prisspot in denial about being middle aged, and I was right. I had you PEGGED, sister.

The adoption lie was a cute touch, though.

by Anonymousreply 165October 7, 2013 5:32 PM

r165 why aren't you on the thread for the terminally bitter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 7, 2013 5:37 PM

R166 You should be on a thread for the terminally UNFUNNY.

Your rodeo clown and Sherman Williams stuff is some of the least humorous schtick I have encountered on DL. Did you actually spend moments of your life composing that shite??? What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 167October 7, 2013 5:49 PM

if i'm going out i'll usually some pore refining cream, i don't really consider it makeup, makes a slight difference in smoothing your skin over, but you'll be surprised how much a slight difference can mean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 7, 2013 7:07 PM

When the hell did gay men become so homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 169October 7, 2013 8:16 PM

R169, I think straight men, at least the better educated ones in big cities, are more comfortable now with skincare and self presentation than the gays, or the gays who show up on DL.

by Anonymousreply 170October 7, 2013 11:12 PM

r168, isn't that basically a primer? And why the heck is something like that so expensive?

by Anonymousreply 171October 7, 2013 11:20 PM

I don't have much money for my beauty routine, so have had to be creative. Once a month, I'll see a crew power washing a sidewalk. I'll slip them a five, and have them power wash my face. It's painful, but after all beauty is pain.

The next day, after the redness and swelling subsides, I break out the Kilz (tm) primer. I use one of those little foam rollers for smaller jobs you get at the paint store and go to town. I have no eyebrows left, so draw them in with a brown magic marker. But before that, after the primer dries I use pancake makeup. It's real pancake mix and I throw in a little cinnamon for a natural looking color. I apply the powder with a soft japanese watercolor brush I got at a sale at Michaels for two bucks.

To seal the powder, I spray Aquanet and I'm fresh for at least a month.

by Anonymousreply 172October 7, 2013 11:45 PM

Oh fuck, it's the rodeo clown / Sherwin Williams troll again at R172, and it figured out how to clear its cookies.

Fuck off, homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 173October 7, 2013 11:56 PM

R159 is hilarious and spot-on!

by Anonymousreply 174October 8, 2013 12:09 AM

As I gay man, I would support the round-up and relocation of other men who wear makeup. A nice little camp in Detroit or somewhere where they can fawn all over each other.

by Anonymousreply 175October 8, 2013 2:44 AM

R175 You're old, right?

by Anonymousreply 176October 8, 2013 2:51 AM

is botox makeup? if so then yes I wear a ton of makeup!

by Anonymousreply 177October 8, 2013 3:01 AM

[quote]All the guys you fawn over here, Matt Bomer, Henry Cavill, ALL wear some kind of makeup when they are doing any sort of press.

Makeup in showbiz is different; it's all about creating/enhancing what you got for the camera, in service to an image, which is largely manufactured.

When the camera's not rolling, you're a guy with makeup on. Which is cool, but don't think other people don't know and don't think it improves on your natural looks. It makes you look like a guy wearing makeup.

by Anonymousreply 178October 8, 2013 3:04 AM

I think younger guys, straight and gay, don't have the same hang-ups about moisturizers, etc. the older crew do. These old guys on DL are pretty down on enhancing what they got, maybe because they don't have a lot of it left.

by Anonymousreply 179October 8, 2013 3:21 AM

Look at me! No pores and no one knows I'm wearing makeup!

I look like a...like a cl---like a very handsome man!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 8, 2013 3:28 AM

LOL @ r172!

by Anonymousreply 181October 8, 2013 3:32 AM

You might want to look into mineral makeup if a primer isn't enough for you. Here's a review of the Bare Minerals powder. The guy in the video is a professional makeup artist. If you're using powder products, then invest in a good brush, not the brush or puff that they come with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 8, 2013 3:56 AM

You've detected my paper thin charade, r173. Curses!

by Anonymousreply 183October 8, 2013 4:42 AM

I picture all of you looking like that pursed lipped plucked princess Derek from A-list NY.

by Anonymousreply 184October 8, 2013 5:00 AM

I love Pores No More, R168! I just wish it wasn't so overpriced. Talk about highway robbery. I just go to Sephora and get the girl to give me free samples (sometimes they'll squirt damn near half a tube into a little sample container for me). Stuff lasts a long time. I unfortunately have scarred pores from my teenage acne days, and Pores No More does a nice job of smoothing over that mess, and does so quite invisibly.

by Anonymousreply 185October 8, 2013 5:17 AM

WTF is MATTE lip gloss, R184?

by Anonymousreply 186October 8, 2013 5:38 AM

You painted pretty boys are what MAKES GOD PUKE!

by Anonymousreply 187October 8, 2013 6:48 AM

What happens when you wash your face during the day? I assume that other people do this several times a day. I do, and see other guys do it.

by Anonymousreply 188October 19, 2013 1:17 AM

Lipstick

by Anonymousreply 189October 19, 2013 2:00 AM

Look how much better Adam Lambert looks without makeup. I rest my case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 25, 2013 5:09 AM

Anyone use BB cream? I use it as a sunblock. A guy can wear it in direct sunlight and nobody will notice. It covers up and evens out your skin tone. And don't forget your neck! Use a sponge to smooth it in.

BTW, Neck a little crepey? Try L'Oreal Golden Balm face neck and tit cream. It works!

by Anonymousreply 191June 13, 2014 9:20 PM

Women have thinner skin than men's, which may lead to faster premature aging; they also start playing with makeup and different skin care products from an early age, the over-use of which may lead to a lifetime of abuse. Men traditionally do not fuck around with their face as much; in fact, it has been proven that daily shaving is the best form of exfoliation one can treat themselves with.

by Anonymousreply 192June 5, 2018 4:27 AM

No makeup for me, but I do love mink lashes.

by Anonymousreply 193June 5, 2018 4:42 AM

I miss my Bonne Bell Golden Tan Bronzing Powder. It was incredibly cheap, lasted forever, and looked completely natural. Then Bonne Bell went and sold out their company and their famous bronzing prodcuts were discontinued. I never found a bronzing powder for men that worked as well - everything has glitter or shimmer or looks like makeup.

by Anonymousreply 194June 5, 2018 11:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!