Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are Kenan Thompson and Bobby Moynihan still on SNL?

Neither of them has EVER been funny, even once.

by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2019 8:24 AM

OP it sounds like they fit in well with the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2013 7:32 AM

Kenan ruins every single sketch he is in on SNL. He never really creates a character, just recites his lines with a stupid look on his face. He has never once made me laugh. Never even close.

by Anonymousreply 2December 21, 2014 6:53 AM

Lorne Michaels adores them, especially Kenan. That's all they need to stay on. Lorne Michaels has had more power over American comedy in the last forty years than any single one person.

by Anonymousreply 3December 21, 2014 6:58 AM

Thank You, OP. I thought it was just me. Kenan Thompson has NEVER been even remotely funny! I can't recall a single sketch where he made me laugh. He's a one note "comic" who hasn't even mastered that note in 182637203 years on SNL.

If Lorne Michaels was going to troll Nickelodeon for Black Comic Talent, a wiser choice would have been Kenan's old partner Kel Mitchell. Kel was the obvious talent in that duo. Hilarious, versatile & grew up to be quite handsome. I'll never understand why he's loitering through the depths of obscurity, while that unfunny wild boar has been collecting millions on SNL for a decade. That's Showbiz...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 21, 2014 7:23 AM

Bobby is hilarious as Drunk Uncle.

by Anonymousreply 5December 21, 2014 7:31 AM

Every single Kenan character is exactly the same, as in it's his own normal persona. He can't act and he isn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 6December 21, 2014 7:45 AM

[quote]Lorne Michaels has had more power over American comedy in the last forty years than any single one person.

And that's why American comedy is no longer funny.

by Anonymousreply 7December 21, 2014 12:19 PM

Thank God this is Kenan Thompson's final season. A smirk and using the same voice doesn't quite cut it. I'm surprised that it's his decision to quit. He should've been fired years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8December 21, 2014 12:52 PM

Lorne Michaels is a racist. Whenever he hires black actors, he always hires the least talented ones he can find. Chris Rock was the exception, and even he defected to [italic]In Living Color[/italic].

It speaks volumes that Eddie Murphy became SNL's only shining star during the Michaels-free early 1980s. No other black SNL cast member got as far as he did.

by Anonymousreply 9December 21, 2014 1:02 PM

b

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2014 1:10 PM

[quote] Hilarious, versatile & grew up to be quite handsome.

I always figured him for a top.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2014 3:55 PM

[quote]Lorne Michaels has had more power over American comedy in the last forty years than any single one person.

Blame Canada!

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2014 3:56 PM

They need fat guys on the show every year, though

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2014 3:59 PM

I like Bobby Moyhnihan

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2014 4:11 PM

Piss off. I love them both. Kenan Thompson, as Al Sharpton, pronouncing "Video" as "Vidha" cracks my shit up. Every time.

I bet if they were hot, the OP would have no problem with them still being on the show.

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2014 5:19 PM

I think they hired Kenan to get a younger audience as he had big exposure with his Nickleodeon show. But he's just not a good comic. Going from a goofy pre-teen show to SNL is not the same thing.

Part of the problem with the show is that it's 90 minutes and invariably they always have some stupid filler skits which makes the show lose momentum. And it pisses off the audience.

It's almost impossible to create 90 minutes (ok, maybe 60 minutes after commercials and music bits) of good television each week.

Second, he needs to scout more or turn over the hiring process to someone else. I'm always shocked at some of the good to great players that lasted only one season and the milque-toast people who are on there FOREVER.

They need to be a bit more edgy, but I feel like their scripts are always edited back to "appeal to the masses". Fuck that - be more edgy and funny!

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2014 5:33 PM

The Whiskers R We segment at the end of last night's episode was perhaps the funniest sketch the entire show.

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2014 5:49 PM

Didn't Kenan used to impersonate Star Jones in "The View" skits?

by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2014 5:52 AM

Chris Rock sucked on SNL. Eddie Murphy wannabee.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2014 6:06 AM

Chris Rock was So-So on SNL. His best bits BY FAR were his News Segment rants. The skits he was involved in were nothing memorable. This proves what we eventually found out after his departure. He's MUCH BETTER at Stand Up Comedy than he is at acting & sketches.

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2014 6:17 AM

Amy Adams was a terrible host. No wonder Kristen Wiig had to come back again this week.

Hey Kristen, you are not a cast member anymore!

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2014 6:18 AM

Someone disagrees with the Kenan-haters:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 24, 2014 5:57 AM

I love Keenan on the show. Some of the shit his characters say are so random and funny. I still love his "Black Noise" video. I liked his Sumpn Clause. His Al Sharpton and Charles Barkley are hilarious. People just have different senses of humor and I happen to find his very funny.

And I still quote Bobby Moynihan's first skit he ever did, PEPPA! "You know that bag, that famous bag?" referring to American Beauty.

I like them both unlike most of the new cast who have yet to break through.

by Anonymousreply 23December 24, 2014 6:06 AM

Bobby Moynihan is good but since is not your typical fat comedian I feel they don't really know what to do with him.

Kenan Thompson is terrible is character always sound the same, he just keep on playing himself dressed as others, but he's really likeable and his constent smile when he perform make him easy to watch.

Kristen Wiig is really not funny.

by Anonymousreply 24December 24, 2014 8:57 AM

Just because you're gaming trolldar by clearing your cache OP doesn't mean we're not wise to you. 15 different people didn't come here to post the same thing about Kenan Thompson always playing himself.

What about Taran? I'd jump his bones.

by Anonymousreply 25December 24, 2014 9:12 AM

[quote]What about Taran? I'd jump his bones.

You and me both.

by Anonymousreply 26December 24, 2014 11:44 AM

At least Bobby got the memo and took a chance with that weird show where he plays a younger John Larroquette despite being several inches smaller than him and them looking nothing alike. He took a chance and failed but at least he tried. “Goodburger” on the other hand knows he has absolutely nothing going for him outside SNL. Nobody knows what to do with him cause unlike Lorne they just don’t see him being anything outside the modern day Rerun from What’s Happening. Maybe he can play Emmanuel Lewis as an adult if he had actually grown up both vertically and horizontally. He just has that pudgy baby face that worked perfectly for child friendly Nickelodeon shows but on SNL he’s just miscast time and time again. Really Steve Harvey? R.Kelly? I honestly thought SNL would have absolutely nailed the the Gail King interview, all they had to do was cast listerally ANYONE as Kelly but “Goodburger.” That skit was an absolute nightmare like just about everything that “Goodburger” ruins. He seems nice enough and even had some potential but it was all kid friendly oriented. Casting him on something as edgy as SNL would have been like casting Micky Rooney as Archie Bunker back in the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 27March 12, 2019 4:00 PM

I’m sorry, but SNL is about as edgy as any other broadcast program. It is designed to be comforting and familiar to a broad middle American audience. If you are looking for edgy I’m afraid you’ll have to go elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 28March 12, 2019 4:26 PM

Because they know SNL is as good as it's going to get for them and it's a easy, steady, decent paying gig. It's like asking why Mariska Hargitay doesn't leave Law & Order. Too many actors have left television thinking they were going to be the next big thing in movies and then flopped terribly, ending their acting careers.

by Anonymousreply 29March 12, 2019 4:34 PM

Alright I may have gone a little overboard with the “edgy” comment. For late night network tv and compared to “Goodburger’s” old Nickaloadeon network it is a little more explicit but I’ll stand by wholeheartedly that Goodburger is the most miscast person in SNL history. Even his old Goodburger costar, who for whatever reason was passed up on for him, would be much more qualified for any of his roles that he’s absolutely butchered.

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2019 2:06 AM

More important, why is Leslie Jones still on it? Far less talented.

by Anonymousreply 31March 13, 2019 7:29 AM

I can at least buy what Leslie is doing funny or not. With Mariska at least we know she’s the H.B.I.C. Goodburger only thinks that cause he has at least 10 years on all the cast members in both age and experience. I honestly wanted to break out the champagne when I found out they were FINALLY getting rid of him this year. Sadly those were only rumors and this guys gonna be on as long as he can unless there’s NEWS about a Goodburger reboot. Seriously working at a burger joint for over 25 years would look less pathetic than being on SNL after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 32March 13, 2019 8:13 AM

Kenan is hilarious, esp. since SNL is going down

by Anonymousreply 33March 13, 2019 8:20 AM

He’s not hilarious he’s likeable.

by Anonymousreply 34March 13, 2019 8:23 AM

He does seem sweet, lovable and friendly, I’ll give you that.

by Anonymousreply 35March 13, 2019 8:32 AM

So what are the chances of Goodburger coming back for a what???? An 85th season? He’s not even the somewhat amusing fat guy at the point. Was is John McCains son-in-law that mentioned Seth Myers having a job because of certain favors he’s done for Lorne? That’s sounds spot on what I think goes on between Goodburger and Lorne. I’d say he’s the modern day Rerun but an actual preGoodburger era SNL rerun would be welcomed at this point. His appearances stop comedy dead in its tracks you can hear crickets chirping or more like farting cause he totally knows how to clear out a room. At least Blair’s cousin from Facts of Life had an excuse for the tumbleweed flying through during her cameos. There’s no “bless his heart” moments in Goodburgers case.

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2019 7:17 AM

I loved Keenan as the judge in the skit where Pete Davidson plays the student who had sex with the teacher.

"Ma man!"

by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2019 7:49 AM

I've deliberately tuned in SNL exactly once in the last decade but I have watched several of Kenan's skits on youtube. The guy is funny.

Of the other guy I have no opinion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2019 8:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!