Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's the DL archive!!

Read it before it disappears! Someone linked it in a 9/11 thread.

Full threads -- bread pudding, dialing a phone with a pencil, cash bar, Matt and Ben's letters. It's all there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 14, 2020 12:24 PM

The one I've ALWAYS been wanting to read is the legendary "Let's Pretend We're Sumerian Farmwives". I've never seen that one. I wish someone would post a copy. Maybe someday my wish will come true.

*kisses doll*

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2013 4:40 PM

I thought a number of us here knew about that link.

I just reposted it in the WTC thread.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2013 4:44 PM

Read it? I lived it, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2013 4:54 PM

Love ya OP

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2013 6:51 PM

OP, you're perfect!

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2013 12:50 AM

What a blast from the past. I'm howling over the 2-foot tall bedsheet turban with mom's brooch on it, worn by the very enterprising 5-6 year old.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2013 2:31 AM

[quote]The one I've ALWAYS been wanting to read is the legendary "Let's Pretend We're Sumerian Farmwives". I've never seen that one.

Lots of jokes about chickpeas.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2013 2:35 AM

OP, consider yourself blown.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2013 2:35 AM

Love the Matt and Ben one!

And Let's Roll Cinnamon Rolls!

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2013 2:40 AM

Revisiting dialing the phone with a pencil and laughing my head off. Best DL thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2013 2:49 AM

I loved the "Pete Burns Has Lowhangers" thread.

Not many posts but damn, it was funny. Especially with the photo.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2013 3:29 AM

Where is "Brett Mycles is Blazin Hot" or "The Hottest Dude on the Planet Named Zeb." Bump them.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2013 3:31 AM

No Golden Girls thread at all?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2013 3:33 AM

Where's Turkey Meatballs?

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2013 3:40 AM

I boooink marked it

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2013 3:51 AM

Who fucking cares?

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2013 7:59 AM

I forgot how funny Let's Roll was.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2013 9:00 AM

How do I save these? Help!

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2013 10:26 AM

It's Butters!

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2013 10:51 AM

Print them, r18, as PDF files.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2013 12:32 PM

No Turkey Meatballs? damn...

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2013 1:14 PM

I've only been coming to Datalounge for a few months and have seen many references to the "dialing a phone with a pencil" thread. I just read it and it definitely deserves its legendary status. I can say that I share some variation of about 80% of the experiences recounted in that thread. It brought back many hilarious and sweet memories.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2013 1:25 PM

I've always wanted to see the "Jessica Fletcher Takes on 9-11 Conspiracies" thread! Too bad it's not on that list... :(

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2013 8:19 PM

[quote] I would climb to the top of the "jungle-gym" and sing "On A Clear Day" with my arms outstretched!

Tears on the side of my face!

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2013 8:42 PM

"Internet panhandling. That defines tacky."

The Cash Bar thread predicted Kickstarter!

That thread is insane.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2013 8:52 PM

Where, oh where, Red Dragon Cheese?

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2013 9:03 PM

Where's French Critic?

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2013 9:09 PM

Speaking of dialing the phone (and I mean DIALING, not pressing buttons), does anyone remember those devices that had a spherical bulb on one end specifically designed to dial a phone? Sometimes they were on the end of a clear plastic letter opener. Ring any bells?

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2013 9:45 PM

Here you go, r28:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2013 9:48 PM

And the version that all the little DLers probably wanted. I don't think it even works unless you snap off a snap-back earring before you put the receiver to your ear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2013 9:49 PM

R22, I have to echo the sweetness element. Notice the dates and the lack of snarkiness in the thread. It is a joy to reread and says something about how DL and the culture have evolved in the last 10 years. Not that there weren't some serious bitches posting at that time, but they were funny, clever and not overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2013 4:20 PM

Thanks OP!

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2014 3:59 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2014 5:41 AM

I wish someone would archive the pages and pages of discussion of "Semi-Homemade" on TWOP before it goes down. Some of those were just a riot. I'm afraid the Cuomo campaign will buy them up and have them destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2014 6:07 PM

Good God, Meryl (the real one) was posting all over those. Definitely in the Let's Roll thread....don't ask how I know.

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2014 6:20 PM

LOL--I forgot all about this from the origina "Little House" thread:

"Someone help me... not only is a tornado coming and gangrene is setting in on my infected hand, but I'm terminally boring and I can't get my husband out of his supertight pants! by: Caroline Ingalls"

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2014 6:30 PM

Where can I find the David Ehernstein threads?

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2014 6:40 PM

Brilliant posts from "Dialling a phone with a pencil," probably the quintessential Dl thread:

"1970. I am 6. My father brings his business partners home. They all talk about baseball. I walk into the living room and say, "I'm taking a poll. Who do you all think is prettier, Florence Henderson or Shirley Jones?""

"I would also imitate my favorite Alberto VO5 commericial and sashay importantly around the house, pointing to imaginary urban landmarks and smiling alluringly at my imaginary companions. When my mom would ask me what I was doing, I'd don my huskiest European supermodel voice and answer, "I'm Rula Lenska, and I'm showing friends around London." by: Joe P"

"8th grade. Big debate in my class about Vietnam. Catholic school, but a rather hip nun who indulged my attack on LBJ and the war (BTW, she later bailed out on the sisterhood--rumor was she ended up in the Village, love beads, jeans, all stardust and golden). There was this MAJOR asshole who was pro-war and always calling hippies "faggots." He was defending the war and arguing with me. I finally interrupted him with "You don't want to face the truth--JUST LIKE NORMA DESMOND IN SUNSET BOULEVARD!""

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2014 6:42 PM

Also from "Dialling a phone with a pencil":

"when i was in 2nd grade, i found my mother's underwear drawer. I was entranced by elegance of the silk, and readily took a pair for my own use. I put them on, and thought i was a classy, popular and famous person. The next day, my mother was leaving for work, and my father was walking her to her car. I waved at her from the door and said, "Goodbye Mother! I'm wearing your underwear, and it is so comfortable". Both parents turn around, and are silent for about a minute. My father turns to my mother and looks at her. She looks at him. He then says, "Tell your son to take your god damned underwear off, Christine". I ran to my room and removed it. My father then drove me, in stoney silence, to school. It was never discussed again"

"AND, finally, when i was 8, Star Trek: The Next Generation came on. I was enamoured with Councilor Troy, and adored her terrible hairpiece (i would wrap beads around my head to emulate her look), and would go around in my tightest clothing (as she always wore a jumpsuit) and say to my mother, "i sense anger"."

"My god, I haven't remembered this in 30 years, but a recent thread brought it all back: I used to love to sit on barstools so I could spin and face the camera just like Barbara Bain in the opening credits to Space:1999."

"Okay, here's one, but not necessarily "Gay". Once when I was, I think 6 or 8, my mother was having a women's meeting or some shit like that and I was REALLY into "Batman" (the television series not the cartoon or comicbook) and more particularly the Batmobile, so once I was rummaging through my mothers "personal toiletries" cabinet- like any curious young queen would - and I noticed how her "Pristeen" vaginal antiperspirant (do pussys sweat?!?!) when sprayed, how big the cloud was that emitted from the nozzle, so being the creative genius that I was, I thought if I tied a towel around my neck, (for the cape)and ran around the house as if I were in the Batmobile, I would have the PERFECT "smoke screen"!! So to impress my mother and her friends, while they were delicately balancing their teacups on their laps, I RAN through the living room spraying the Pristeen behind me and apparently it was an effective smoke screen, because judging from the fits of coughing and the opening of doors and windows, it worked!! Unfortunately not enough to obscure my identity though, because I was grounded for the weekend. :("

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2014 6:51 PM

The one I can't find in the "Dialing the phone with a pencil" thread was my favorite post of all--about the guy who worked out a baton twirling routine to the theme song of "Dallas" (which he had recorded on a tape recorder), and which he would perform for his completely baffled immigrant parents.

It must have been on the sequel thread (there were 3 or 4 of them).

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2014 7:04 PM

It is a great tragedy that ""Goodbye Mother! I'm wearing your underwear, and it is so comfortable" never became a Datalounge meme. It may be one of the most brilliant things anyone ever posted here.

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2014 8:18 PM

My God, I was still in my 20's when I posted on those threads.

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2014 8:28 PM

And you'll still be here in your 50s, r42.

by Anonymousreply 43May 31, 2014 8:49 PM

This needs to be preserved! Can't Webby give it a special spot off to the side in the margins, and a separate Link? Pleeeeese! It's part of our history!

by Anonymousreply 44May 31, 2014 8:55 PM

There used to be a link to special archive threads listed above the W&W segment.

by Anonymousreply 45May 31, 2014 9:14 PM

Pristeen Genital Deodorant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 31, 2014 9:48 PM

I started to read the 911 thread and had to stop. I'd forgotten that that thread was how I experienced that day while trapped at a desk in Nebraska. I kind of started to panic while reading it.

by Anonymousreply 47May 31, 2014 10:39 PM

[quote]when I would get home from catholic school, I would take off my salt&pepper cords, tuck the tails of my white shirt under my blue sweater and pull down my t-shirt from the bottom so it looked like a skirt. I thought this was the best looking stewardess uniform and considered sending in a suggestion to TWA.

I thought this was so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 48June 1, 2014 1:01 AM

Wasn't there also a post about a pre-teen shaking a cane at his family and yelling 'Anubis'???

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2014 9:54 AM

R48, I keep imagining that quote in Little Edie's voice.

by Anonymousreply 50June 1, 2014 10:13 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 51June 4, 2014 1:34 AM

The original Helen Lawson thread where fans gave details of her career, in movies and TV specials was laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 52June 4, 2014 1:43 AM

My gf dumped a 2 liter bottle of coke on the kitchen floor and then crab walked across the living room....

by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2014 2:06 AM

Oh, that Dialing with a Pencil thread brings up memories. When I was in 4th grade I was the lead in a little class room play where I played the butch dragon slaying King. My dad helped me make a sword and shield out of cardboard and gold spray paint, and my mom made a cape out of this gold glittery fabric. Basically a rectangle with a neck hole.

Don't remember what happened to the sword and shield, but alone in my room, I'd strip down to my tighty whities, put the cape on backwards, clothes pin the back and pretend I was a Solid Gold Dancer in a backless gold mini dress.

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2014 11:52 AM

by Anonymousreply 55June 4, 2014 12:37 PM

That pencil thread has been the best thing I've read in ages. The towel turban post (with the jewels) almost made me piss myself.

by Anonymousreply 56June 4, 2014 12:50 PM

When will the tears stop ?

Or anything that upsets a bribe, or ruins a wedding!

by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2014 2:00 PM

[quote]where I played the butch dragon slaying King

Martin Luther or Billie Jean?

Great story, made me LOL!

by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2014 2:59 PM

Me too, R42. Surreal.

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2014 3:18 PM

Dat's da suck job!

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2014 3:19 PM

Interesting. The dialling the phone with a pencil thread didn't take off at first. The OP had to bump it.

I wonder where he is today.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2014 3:25 PM

From the Cash Bar thread [quote]"Does anyone else see the irony in a bunch of fags arguing about wedding ettiquette? "

Have you ever met a straight wedding planner? by: anonymoust03/10/2003

LMAO

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2014 3:33 PM

Having read a lot of those now thanks to the OP reminding us all with this thread, I can honestly say that whilst there were clearly a lot more witty queens then the general tone and quality hasn't changed all that much.

What has changed is there are less 'classic' threads whereas in 2003 (obviously THE year for the DL) they were more frequent.

The most recent thread that could have that status is the Jodi Wedding Nightmare one. At least it proves there's life in the old dog yet!

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2014 7:59 PM

From the "Idolized" thread

"if I can save just one other young aspiring unknown with an average voice, a funky'do and a pocketful of dreams from the filth and depravity of 'showbusiness' it will all have been worth it"

Crying with laughter as type

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2014 8:12 PM

I wish the "Sows at the Trough" thread was on there....now that was a gut busting thread from srat to finish.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2014 8:30 PM

One of those archived threads is mine. I wouldn't have started it anytime in the past five years. Too much has changed.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2014 8:34 PM

The Dialing the phone with a pencil thread had a couple of posts written by mothers/aunts/uncles about their young ones and how they already thought they were pencil dialers and their plans to celebrate their uniqueness.

I wonder how that all turned out.

One of them was about a kid who must be 24 by now and another one involved a pregnant mother who now wanted her kid to be gay.

Also it is quite inspirational to read about some people's very dim hopes that gays would ever marry, especially in the Cash Bar thread.

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2014 8:48 PM

Wow, I recognized a couple of my old posts. I was funnier then. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2014 10:04 PM

My friends' 7 year old son loves watching Beyonce, So You Think You Can Dance, and when he can get away with it, Downton Abbey. His parents don't seem to mind, but they weren't too happy when I taught him to say "You bedda WORK!" like RuPaul.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2014 1:07 AM

Does anyone remember when the first recorded use of "frau" on Datalounge occurred?

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2014 1:09 AM

I missed the "homosex" thread

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2014 1:11 AM

Yes, R60! An instant classic.

by Anonymousreply 72June 5, 2014 1:32 AM

The Weird Little Girl Next Door is darkly delightful.

by Anonymousreply 73June 6, 2014 1:47 AM

I loved the Matt and Ben ones

by Anonymousreply 74June 6, 2014 2:19 AM

I'm a newer DL'er (3 years or so) but the difference seems to be.....

These threads were clever but only cutting/bitchy when/if the target deserved it.

Even in obvious cases of poking fun (dialing phone w/a pencil) there was a sweetness there, too.

Sadly, too many threads on the DL today are just ugly from R2 forward. (We all know R1 is always a bitch.)

by Anonymousreply 75June 6, 2014 1:09 PM

I miss the "Aunt Diane" thread.

And I really liked the thread of making up "L&O" dialogues!

by Anonymousreply 76June 6, 2014 1:21 PM

True Confessions time: my name is _________ and I'm the "evacuating as I type" poster from the hurricane thread.

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2014 9:27 PM

I like the "DL Archives" thread from the DL archives link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 13, 2014 3:53 AM

Bump--for a good time.

by Anonymousreply 79December 14, 2014 9:02 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to retrieve the contents of these two massive threads with behind the scenes Buffy and Angel gossip? They've since been deleted but from what I remember, they were 600+ posts in each and hence they were closed to new posts.

www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html#page:showThread,8802803

www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html#page:showThread,8816526

I got the links to these now deleted threads from this post that still exists on Joss Whedon.

www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html?t=9102845#page:showThread,9102845

by Anonymousreply 80December 14, 2014 10:39 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to retrieve the contents of these two massive threads with behind the scenes Buffy and Angel gossip? They've since been deleted but from what I remember, they were 600+ posts in each and hence they were closed to new posts.

www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html#page:showThread,8802803

www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html#page:showThread,8816526

I got those links to these now deleted threads from this post that still exists on Joss Whedon.

www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html?t=9102845#page:showThread,9102845

by Anonymousreply 81December 14, 2014 10:39 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 82December 16, 2014 12:35 AM

[quote]I used to love to sit on barstools so I could spin and face the camera just like Barbara Bain in the opening credits to Space: 1999.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 83December 16, 2014 12:51 AM

Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 84December 16, 2014 1:11 AM

I'm glad I didn't know about the phone dialing tool at r30, I probably would have done anything for one of those as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 85December 16, 2014 2:55 AM

What about the legendary one where the question of refrigerating bread turned into an all-out bloodbath?

by Anonymousreply 86December 16, 2014 3:02 AM

I loved the possum living in my kitchen drawer thread. Also the turkey meatball, not running a b&b thread.

Any links?

by Anonymousreply 87December 16, 2014 4:18 AM

shoot, now it's gone for good

by Anonymousreply 88July 29, 2015 1:47 AM

[quote]What about the legendary one where the question of refrigerating bread turned into an all-out bloodbath?

I was visiting relatives the other day & helped the wife clean up the kitchen after making sandwiches for lunch. She asked me to put the plastic bag of leftover bread into the refrigerator, where it would "keep fresh longer" than it would on the counter. Had to bite my tongue & then start chatting with the cat to keep from laughing. Thanks for the memories, DL.

by Anonymousreply 89July 29, 2015 2:36 AM

so many threads, so many memories

by Anonymousreply 90July 29, 2015 1:22 PM

OMG.....I never saw the Dialing thread, only heard about it.

Just read the entries above and I just snort laughed so loud and hard my cat hisses at me.

LOL! *tears*

by Anonymousreply 91November 14, 2020 12:17 PM

My new neighbour is a gargoyle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 14, 2020 12:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!