Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"White adjacent"

I've seen this term used in several threads. What does it mean and what are some examples?

by Anonymousreply 74July 18, 2018 12:17 AM

Cream, ecru, eggshell, ivory....

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2013 3:41 PM

The pig who killed Trayvon?

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2013 3:52 PM

I see this term used in reference to a persob's race or ethnicity on threads such as when referring to a celeb's race.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2013 4:35 PM

indeed

i teach and the youngest generation is turning out more and more mixed - Asian/Latino African-American/Asian - any and all combos. clunky terms like this may be on the rise.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2013 4:44 PM

So it's like high yellow?

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2013 4:48 PM

Sooner than people think, the boundaries of whiteness will be expanded to include virtually anyone who isn't black.

For example, more and more very white-looking Latinos are claiming a white identity.

There was a very interesting book on the topic that was released a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2013 4:52 PM

Still not good enough to be in Tri Delt!

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2013 4:59 PM

[quote]For example, more and more very white-looking Latinos are claiming a white identity.

You're joking right? Young Latinos would rather claim anything other than being pocho (white). White=old, tired, racist.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2013 5:01 PM

Sooner than you think, so many people will be of mixed race that the racists will just give up.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2013 5:03 PM

"White adjacent"

It's how we want to be viewed by our target audience. But the truth is that we have only a big toe in the 'hood' for street cred while we maintain our full access to farmer's markets and film festivals.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2013 5:16 PM

It sounds like some bullshit realtor sales-speak to make a property seem more attractive. A house that's in the ghetto but on the edge of a white area.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2013 5:39 PM

R11 Well, of course it started with Realtor-speak when they would show listings as "Beverly Hills-adjacent," for example, when the house was actually in Van Nuys, or something.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2013 5:43 PM

"...the boundaries of whiteness will be expanded to include virtually anyone who isn't black. For example, more and more very white-looking Latinos are claiming a white identity."

FYI some Latinos ARE white; they have significant European ancestry, and light skin, hair, and/or eyes.

"Latino" is a linguistic/national designation, it doesn't actually tell you a person's race.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2013 4:25 AM

I know someone from Columbia. His ancestors are all Spanish. He definitely, and appropriately, identifies as having European ancestry (= white).

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2013 4:31 AM

Who are some celebrity examples of white adjacent?

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2013 4:35 AM

[quote]Sooner than you think, so many people will be of mixed race that the racists will just give up.

pretty much

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2013 4:40 AM

[quote]I know someone from Columbia.

i Know someone from YALE!

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2013 4:41 AM

Some examples of white adjacent

Rashida Jones

Lolo Jones

Kris Humpfries

Wentworth Miller

Andy Garcia

Jessica Alba

Freddie Prinze, Jr.

William Levy

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2013 4:50 AM

Racists won't give up, R9, they'll just do what they've always done and redefine 'white' culture, much in the same way that Irish and Italians weren't considered fully white when they first emigrated to America in significant numbers.

William F. Buckley might have been the whitest person of the 20th century, yet he was Irish Catholic. That would have been unthinkable had he been born a few decades before.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2013 5:00 AM

It means the neighbor is white, as in This house is white adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2013 5:05 AM

R8 Google "Facundo", if you want to see a White Mexican. Giselle Bundchen-Brady, Ronaldo and Messi are as "Latino" as the naco oafs you mention. Moreso, as they actually speak Iberic languages, unlike the word-salad US "latinos" (entre doble comillas) spew.

Imagine millions from Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas illegally parking their asses in Quebec, then demanding respect for their "ethnic culture and identity" - NASCAR and fried food. That's exactly what R8 ("I've seen "El Norte" and have class rnvy") is championing.

Anglos cretinos y payasos...

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2013 7:41 AM

All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep fuckin' everybody 'til they're all the same color.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2013 7:49 AM

Culver City

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2013 7:49 AM

R8 is right.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2013 12:01 PM

r8 is wrong. Shockingly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2013 12:47 PM

Most Latinos are white. Technically they are a mix of white and native Indian, to various degrees; and Indians are Asian. But they have intermixed with whites so much in past centuries that most are considered white. (An exception being Dominicans, where Latinos mixed with blacks more, so they are considered black).

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2013 4:28 PM

More celebrity examples please. Fank you.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2013 4:32 PM

This is Guillermo del Toro, Mexican film director. He was born and raised in Mexico, Spanish is his native tongue, but he makes films in Spanish and English, in Europe and the US.

And he's white enough to pass unnoticed in small town Minnesota.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2013 4:38 PM

So, several of you have named whites, but I still don't know who is "white adjacent".

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2013 9:28 PM

More importantly, what is "gay-adjacent"?

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2013 9:32 PM

R26, the world neither perceives or places such great importance on race anywhere near the level Americans do. Your extremely limiting categories of white and black don't quite work in the part of the world you're speaking about.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question I honestly thought it had something to do with paint.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2013 9:38 PM

R28 - what world do you live in?

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2013 9:43 PM

"And he's white enough to pass unnoticed in small town Minnesota"

And fat enough too. If he were thin, he'd probably stand out as much as Idris Elba walking into town at noon.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2013 9:48 PM

R31, plenty of other places in the world have racist racial problems.

Also, does the name "Mandela" ring any bells?

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2013 9:51 PM

[quote]"And he's white enough to pass unnoticed in small town Minnesota"

[quote]And fat enough too.

Little houses! All of them!

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2013 9:53 PM

More examples please.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2013 9:25 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2013 10:43 PM

[quote]All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep fuckin' everybody 'til they're all the same color.

"What we need is a great big melting pot..." It too bad the lyrics are so non-PC in 2013. That song deserves a modern cover.

BLUE MINK - Melting Pot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2013 10:52 PM

Bumpers.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2013 1:33 AM

Mariah Carey, The Jonas Brothers, Keanu Reeves, Jessica Alba, Wentworth Miller, Jennifer Lopez, Rahida Jones, Kris Humphries, Freddy Prinze Jr, Gisele Bundchen, Ricky Martin, Jack Johnson, Zayn Malik, ... all white.

Halle Berry, Barack Obama, Shemar Moore, Kidada Jones (Rashida's sister sharing both biological parents), Ashton Eaton, Boris Kodjoe, Rick Fox, Tracy Ellis-Ross, Lenny Kravitz, Zoe Saldana, Corbin Bleu, Amber Rose, Drake, Tony Parker (despite himself), Lisa Bonet, Jason Kidd are black.

Most Arabs are white: King Abdullah, Bashar Al Asaad, Mohamed Al Fayed, Zidane, Zayn Malik, Casey Kesam, Donna Shalala, Bill Shaheen, Tony Shalhoub, John Abizaid, Steve Jobs, Hoda Kotb, Shannon Elizabeth, Ralph Nader, Paula Abdul, Paul Anka, Frank Zappa, Kathy Najimy, Hala Gorani, Arwa Damon, John Sununu, John Zogby, Wendie Malick, Hedi Slimane are all white.

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2013 2:14 PM

People keep on mentioning who is white and who is black. What I want to know is who are the so-called "white adjacent" people, i.e., the subject of this thread?

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2013 2:22 PM

The Kardashians are white adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2013 2:28 PM

r41

I have pondered your question for some time. I think that Mariah Carey is about as "white adjacent" as a person can be.

As for the definition of "white adjacent"... Mariah's father is black. I remember seeing Mariah on "Amateur Night at the Apollo", when she was an unknown, and thinking "How did this white girl get on the show?"

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Guidos with those yucky spray tans, are they white adjacent?

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2013 2:46 PM

r44

They are "orange adjacent" or "Oompa Loompa adjacent".

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2013 2:50 PM

Got it

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2013 2:51 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2014 1:23 AM

Mariah's father was Venezuelan/African mix, so she's not as black as she trumpets. Her mother is pure white, Mariah is more white than person-of-colored, and she can equally trumpet her Latino card but she chooses her black card instead. J Lo probably threatened Mariah to keep her big white mouth shut in order to be the biggest Latino superstar.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2014 1:33 AM

The Kardashians, according to another thread.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2014 12:18 AM

I saw Freddie Smith described as this on another thread. What does it mean?

by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Snooki is alpaca adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2014 1:47 AM

Is this a DL-only term like cak or graxy?

by Anonymousreply 52September 24, 2014 9:44 AM

Nah, I see it on Tumblr and Twitter every once in a while. (See link.)

It basically means someone who is not technically white, but who identifies as white because they look white, or who others often assume are white because of their appearance.

Think George Zimmerman, Rashida Jones, Jessica Alba.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 24, 2014 10:08 AM

I've always seen it to refer to some Asians, those who are affluent, move in mostly white circles, and are only distinguishable from their neighbors and schoolmates by their race. They have all the white privileges without being white.

by Anonymousreply 54September 24, 2014 11:26 AM

I guess it means white people with a little bit of "flavor" mixed in so they aren't "white-white". White people with dark, swarthy features.

But I guess it could also mean minorities who have very European features. For instance Halle Berry or Vin Diesel.

by Anonymousreply 55September 24, 2014 1:14 PM

"They have all the white privileges without being white. "

That's not race privilege you're describing, it's class privilege.

And money privilege.

by Anonymousreply 56September 24, 2014 6:22 PM

It's current term for what had been known for decades as Mulatto.

by Anonymousreply 57September 24, 2014 8:50 PM

Not as used on DL, R57.

by Anonymousreply 58September 24, 2014 9:07 PM

Isn't it a place ripe for gentrification, sending the scabrous hordes off to the next neighborhood to destroy and make fit for updoing?

by Anonymousreply 59September 24, 2014 9:33 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 60September 24, 2014 10:15 PM

It doesn't refer to blacks but rather to what used to be called "ethnics", i.e., non-Anglo Saxons, non-Nordics, non-Germanics, non-Celtics.

by Anonymousreply 61September 24, 2014 11:47 PM

So, people like GOOP then?

by Anonymousreply 62September 26, 2014 12:20 AM

Precisely.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2014 1:49 AM

Luke Pasqualino

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 7, 2015 2:35 AM

Term used by immediate neighbors of Betty White when trying to impress their visiting relatives from Omaha.

by Anonymousreply 65January 7, 2015 2:51 AM

Really.

by Anonymousreply 66July 3, 2015 6:32 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 67July 11, 2015 10:43 PM

Bumpers

by Anonymousreply 68September 27, 2015 5:23 PM

A black guy with a small dick.

by Anonymousreply 69September 27, 2015 5:56 PM

r2

No that would be Martin himself. That's like the Japs who started the fight with America and are still bitching about getting their asses whooped.

by Anonymousreply 70September 27, 2015 6:32 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 71April 24, 2016 11:53 PM

The Bronx

by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2016 12:44 AM

This was right next to the thread with the White House photo. I thought you meant "White House adjacent".

by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2016 1:56 AM

R14 I know people from both Guatemala, Argentina, and Mexico who have European ancestry and they said how most people-especially young SJW types, are clueless about how there are people of all ancestries in various central and South American countries.

by Anonymousreply 74July 18, 2018 12:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!