Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Are Your Favorite Creepy Documentaries?

I just got Netflix, so please help me with suggestions. I love documentaries about true crime, unsolved mysteries, the supernatural and the paranormal.

The scarier, the better.

I've recently watched "Six Degrees of Helter Skelter" (fabulous - best thing ever about the Tate LaBianca murders), as well as documentaries about The Toynbee Tiles and The Dyatlov Pass Incident.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 297September 6, 2020 12:35 AM

Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog is terribly creepy. He is one of the best docu film-makers though! Check out his docu about Klaus Kinski, My Best Fiend!

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2013 2:14 AM

Faces of Death!

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2013 2:17 AM

Living with Michael Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2013 2:19 AM

Thanks for this thread, OP.

One of the scariest documentaries I've seen is, "King Corn". The documentary is about what industrialized farming has done to our food supply.

What pisses me off is that the government has subsidized the corn crop, which in turn created cheap junk food. Now watch, we will spend billions to try and figure out how to solve the obesity problem. We are a nation of fat and malnourished people.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2013 2:27 AM

You will love The Imposter, OP. Cropsey was pretty good too.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2013 2:29 AM

Ha. That was creepy, r3. Martin Bashir is a POS, though.

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2013 2:30 AM

Capturing the Friedmans.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2013 2:32 AM

I don't know the title, but there's a documentary about ghosts of the London underground (the subway). I thought it was well done. It's actually on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2013 2:35 AM

[quote]One of the scariest documentaries I've seen is, "King Corn". The documentary is about what industrialized farming has done to our food supply.

Try "Farmegeddon"...same topic. Excellent doc.

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2013 2:37 AM

Brother's Keeper and Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills are good too.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2013 2:39 AM

They weren't intentionally creepy ... but there was one about folks that panhandle at Groman's Chinese Theater dressed in various costumes ...they take it REALLY seriously and get SERIOUSLY pissed off if people want to take a picture without giving them some money.

Also, "The Hollywood Complex" was very sad and told a tale about all the creeps that take advantage of the parents and kids that want to be stars ...dirtball agents, photographers, talent scouts, etc.

Maybe not 'creepy' in *that* way, but creepy nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2013 2:45 AM

Was it The Reinactors, R11? With the messed up gay guy that played Freddy Krueger and Superman who was kind of a douche? I second The Hollywood Complex...crazy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2013 2:50 AM

Others at DL have mentioned 'The Reinactors' on DL ....but honestly I want to say that ISN'T the documentary I'm talking about. But ... is it really possible to have TWO documentaries about such an odd topic ??

I don't recall anyone featured doing Freddy Krueger, but there was the one long term guy who did a beat up Superman (for a really long time)

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2013 2:55 AM

DAMN.... I think the one I saw was this one ..."Confessions Of A Superhero". Who Knew ??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2013 2:57 AM

Snuff

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2013 3:09 AM

Suicide Forest

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2013 3:12 AM

The Jeffrey Dahmer Files

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2013 3:15 AM

Crumb.

Not scary creepy but sad creepy

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2013 3:19 AM

I saw The Imposter. Not only was it good (great twists and turns) but the guy featured in it regularly posts videos of himself on Youtube (this is actually more bizarre than creepy - but hey, I'll take it).

Another good one is "Hitlers Children" about the way the children and grandchildren of prominent Nazis deal with the legacy of their elders (and what it is like going through life with a name like "Goering" or "Himmler").

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2013 3:28 AM

Boys Beware!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2013 3:30 AM

Remember "Streetwise," the Mary Ellen Mark film?

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2013 3:35 AM

You know, R17, I watched the new Dahmer documentary and it was all right, but disappointing in a few ways. It gave no background information about Dahmer or any of his victims, for one thing. He's a serial killer I don't know much about, and I would have appreciated a little biography in there somewhere, of someone. Anyone.

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane. Now THAT is a creepy fucking documentary. Yes, I know, she was a fat, drunken frau cunt, it was her fault, family is in denial, case closed, blah blah blah. For some reason, this little film, while not a great documentary by any means, has creeped me the fuck out and stayed in my head for the past week since I saw it. Something about the dread the film builds, the lack of a resolution, the unanswered questions, the dead children. I don't know what it is.

Ugh, get out of my head, Aunt Diane.

by Anonymousreply 22September 4, 2013 4:27 AM

The 3 HBO documentaries on The Iceman, Richard Kuklinski. And you know he wasn't telling but a fraction of what he actually did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 4, 2013 4:34 AM

Ugh, Aunt Diane. I saw it back in 2010 I think, and I watched it several times trying to figure out what I thought happened. It was creepy as hell, and it's still on HBOGO.

Capturing The Friedmans.

ALL the Paradise Lost films.

Restrepo

The Cheshire Murders (recent HBO doc about the home-invasion murders in CT, doctor's wife and 2 daughters, he survived, horrible)

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2013 4:35 AM

Capturing the Freidmans

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2013 4:49 AM

I love the toynbee tiles one! It's called RESURRECT DEAD. But its not a fake, its all an actual documentary.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2013 4:56 AM

No mention of "Crazy Love"? It'll haunt you.

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2013 5:03 AM

quote[The Dyatlov Pass Incident] There is a documentary on this?! What is the name of it? This is one of my favorite creepy mysteries.

Here are some recommends:

Madness in the Fast Lane (BBC - on youtube)

The Man who Ate his Lover (Channel 4 - youtube)

Dear Zachary (netflix)

Crazy Love

I Think We're Alone Now

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

Tabloid

Wisconsin Death Trip

The Staircase (the french doco series not the bad movie)

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2013 5:04 AM

jEFREy Macdonald one

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2013 5:06 AM

What R7 and R18 said, "Capturing The Friedmans" and "Crumb"

There's one about three brothers living almost feral lives in New England - beyond bleak.

The one with the superhero panhandlers, where "Superman" turns pit to be Sandy Dennis' son.

"Burden Of Dreams"

"Let's Get Lost"

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2013 5:29 AM

I thought "The Imposter" was a movie based on a true story.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2013 5:37 AM

The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2013 5:58 AM

The Bridge (about suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge) was sad and compelling.

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2013 6:08 AM

Horrible clip from "The Bridge".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2013 6:21 AM

I think there's this documentary about a murderer named Holmes who killed a lot of women during the Chicago Worlds Fair.

That was interesting and very creepy.

by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2013 6:25 AM

I saw Streetwise and it was so sad in the end, when they showed the homeless kid who had died. It was a little too sad for me.

by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2013 6:27 AM

[quote]There's one about three brothers living almost feral lives in New England - beyond bleak.

I believe that it's called, "Brother's Keeper" and yes, bleak pretty much nails it. Whenever I feel bad about myself, I have to remember that people have it much worse like the brothers in this film.

by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2013 6:37 AM

An award winning UK documentary from late 80s called `The Afghans` or something like that about fates of Soviet soldiers in the Afghan war. Horrifying,horrifying,horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 38September 4, 2013 11:00 AM

I love 70s documentaries and I would check out "Mysterious Monsters" about Bigfoot and The Loch Ness Monster.

For the soundtrack alone. It's really amazing and completely creepy..

by Anonymousreply 39September 4, 2013 2:43 PM

"The Legend of Boggy Creek"

by Anonymousreply 40September 4, 2013 3:04 PM

I Survived BTK.

by Anonymousreply 41September 4, 2013 3:10 PM

There's something wrong with Diane's husband! He's hiding something.

by Anonymousreply 42September 4, 2013 3:49 PM

I think Aunt Diane was really very ill and I believe if a proper autopsy had been done she would have been cleared.

It's obvious that she would not have been loaded driving those children around. If family members had thought she was a drunk, they would not have left her in charge of the children.

Terrible things happen and a sloppy police investigation will just make things worse.

Anyway, a creepy documentary because pieces were obviously missing or someone had tampered with the scene.

by Anonymousreply 43September 4, 2013 4:19 PM

Uh, a lot of people are severe alcoholics and people never know. A friend went into the hospital for what everyone thought was a fall and went into withdrawal. He was apparently drinking at least 2 liters of vodka a day in secret and had been for years. He nearly died.

by Anonymousreply 44September 4, 2013 4:44 PM

This doc blew me away. Wow, talk about creepy. Those of you fascinated with Aunt Diane will love this.

FUCKING CRAZY.

After watching the doc, I read the book. It amazes me how fucked up/crazy people are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 4, 2013 4:46 PM

Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream.

"Documentarian Alex Gibney focuses on the gap between rich and poor by examining New York's Park Avenue, home to America's highest concentration of billionaires. Meanwhile, down the street, South Bronx is the poorest congressional district in the U.S."

Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 46September 4, 2013 4:56 PM

The Thin Blue Line Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer

by Anonymousreply 47September 4, 2013 5:04 PM

agree with r46. Although not so much creept as a reflection on the state of the world and how the rich, in fact, keep getting richer. Oh, love the little tidbit from a former doorman - how most of the richest tenants were the cheapest and most obnoxious.

Also you can't beat the documentary on Aunt Diane. That out creeps them all.

The shot of her dead bloated body at the end was enough to make crawl under the covers (she looked like the devil!). Yes, I know "MARY!" Plus all the unanswered questions, the husband in denial, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 48September 4, 2013 5:11 PM

OMG R45 - YES!!!

It's called "The Woman Who Wasn't There"

Just as creepy as Aunt Diane, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 49September 4, 2013 5:36 PM

[quote]Dear Zachary

That one is brutal.

by Anonymousreply 50September 4, 2013 5:52 PM

Probably not what you are looking for, OP, but for me it's the numerous documentaries about people who live in Manitoba or in Middle-West in a place where snakes migrate every year, and they have to deal each time with a snake invasion. Eeew!

by Anonymousreply 51September 4, 2013 5:59 PM

[quote]It's called "The Woman Who Wasn't There"

That was fantastically creep worthy. That crazy bitch made me think of DL fave Kelli (aka muse of Nick Carter).

by Anonymousreply 52September 4, 2013 6:30 PM

[quote]Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream.

Thanks, r40, this sounds like a good one.

by Anonymousreply 53September 4, 2013 6:45 PM

The story of the West Memphis Three (Paradise Lost) is being made into a feature film with Reese Witherspoon. I can't imagine what role she would play.

by Anonymousreply 54September 4, 2013 6:46 PM

The Wuornos documentaries are a bit creepy because she's clearly insane but being put to death. I honestly think she saw the murders as self defense. Her case is a bit sad.

Jonestown : Life and Death of the People's Temple is disturbing. They play audio from the final moments before the mass suicide/murders.

The Waco one is OK but they interview one too many tinhat types. Conspiracies are fun until you're listening to mathematical equations and statistics being used to back them up.

by Anonymousreply 55September 4, 2013 6:57 PM

R54 Reese is playing Pam Hobbs, the mother of one of the boys.

by Anonymousreply 56September 4, 2013 6:58 PM

Reese is also about to start shooting, "Wild". She's playing the part of Cheryl Strayed. The PCT has become really popular because of that book.

by Anonymousreply 57September 4, 2013 7:05 PM

So terribly sad... Full doc. on Youtube.

The Bridge.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 4, 2013 7:40 PM

Ok, I just watched the 9/11 fraudster documentary on Netflix and cannot get over what a bunch of gullible slobs those survivors were. (And they really are slobs, dressed in sloppy clothes that don't fit and having greasy hair or bizarre face makeup).

Here would be me: Can I see a picture of Dave?

Tania: no, ees too private.

Me: In your entire apartment you don't have a picture of Dave or you and Dave together? What, did you burn all the pictures?

Tania: No, I poot them away een private book.

Me: That's just too bizarre. When was he last time you talked to his parents? Where do they live? Did they attend your Hawaiian ceremony? Did he have siblings? Do you have siblings? Where are your parents?

The only reason I would ask is because I wouldn't in a million years believe anything but a four legged beast would fuck that square-shaped body even with a towel over her ugly head.

And the blonde/white haired lady is completely insane. She's as insane as "Tania." Maybe even moreso.

What a motley crew.

by Anonymousreply 59September 4, 2013 7:43 PM

I can't believe no one has said "Deliver Us From Evil". The documentary about the Catholic priest who has the distinguishment of having molested and raped the MOST children than any other known priest. The sicko, Father O'Grady, has been let out of prison by the time the documentary is filmed, and openly discusses all his crimes in cringing detail

by Anonymousreply 60September 4, 2013 7:46 PM

Is that the documentary that Thomas Roberts was part of?

by Anonymousreply 61September 4, 2013 7:50 PM

Another vote for Deliver Us From Evil. Not scary, but the definition of creepy. The guy is walking around town talking with the camera crew and stops just outside a playground (and it wasn't a setup by the filmmakers, they had no idea he would take them there). One of the most disturbing parts is a court psychologist saying you have to look past his passive demeanor and actually envision him inserting his penis into a 6 month old baby. I saw it last year and it haunted me for days.

by Anonymousreply 62September 4, 2013 9:47 PM

"I think Aunt Diane was really very ill and I believe if a proper autopsy had been done she would have been cleared.

It's obvious that she would not have been loaded driving those children around. If family members had thought she was a drunk, they would not have left her in charge of the children.

Terrible things happen and a sloppy police investigation will just make things worse.

Anyway, a creepy documentary because pieces were obviously missing or someone had tampered with the scene."

You're either a troll or one big fat fucking idiot.

The autopsy was "proper", alright. And it proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Diane Schuler was completely blotto from guzzling vodka and smoking pot when she got behind the wheel of that SUV full of children.

She was an aggressive control freak, full of anger (her mother abandoned her and her father and brothers) and probably seriously depressed. She was impulsive; an article in NY Magazine said she went out to buy milk and came back with a widescreen tv. She was the breadwinner of her family and was married to an ugly clod. And she used alcohol and pot to ease the tension of her life.

It was probably easy to keep her closet alcoholism a secret. Her husband is an idiot and her other family members were, and still are, equally clueless. In complete denial, the stupid husband and his sister went on a campaign to prove that her reprehensible behavior was the result of a medical emergency, like a stroke, or a toothache, or a headache, or diabetes, or a cyst, or something. But all the evidence showed was that she was drunk and stoned when she drove that car into an oncoming vehicle, killing three innocent men and four innocent children and herself.

Diane Schuler was a drunk, cuntish frau who liked to drink and get stoned to take the edge off. She probably thought she could handle driving bombed out of her skull. She made the decision to get fucked up and drive. She truly deserves to be on that website "People You'll See In Hell."

by Anonymousreply 63September 4, 2013 10:01 PM

Another vote for Capturing the Friedmans and There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane

Mysteries are by nature creepy. In real life we don't get Poirot's reveal.

by Anonymousreply 64September 4, 2013 10:13 PM

I wonder if Princess Diana would have enjoyed the Aunt Diane movie.

by Anonymousreply 65September 4, 2013 10:18 PM

The Jeffrey Dahmer Files isn't what you'd expect -- little to no graphic footage of heads in pots, etc. But it's *really* interesting to hear interviews with neighbors in his apartment complex at the time and interviews with the investigators who worked the case. It goes without saying that Dahmer was a weird piece o' cheese. BTW: The actor who portrays him in this doesn't really look like Dahmer. The few shots of the real Dahmer that are shown show a guy that was actually kind of handsome. (Yeah, I know ... probably helped him pick up guys relatively easily ...) The actor is too dweeby-looking. I felt sheep-ish renting this at my video store, but felt like it was worth it, from many standpoints. I am from Wisconsin and remember when all this happened in Milwaukee. Eeeeeeeeeeek.

by Anonymousreply 66September 4, 2013 10:30 PM

Gates of Heaven

by Anonymousreply 67September 4, 2013 10:56 PM

"Marlene" from Maximilian Schell.

by Anonymousreply 68September 4, 2013 10:59 PM

r66, did the documentary talk much about his upbringing or his parents? I never read anything that pointed to bad parenting or violence in his childhood.

My theory is that psychopaths are born that way but serial killers are made. In other words, someone may be born a psychopath but unless they have an abusive childhood they don't become serial killers.

by Anonymousreply 69September 4, 2013 11:04 PM

[quote]I felt sheep-ish renting this at my video store,

Why? Did you imagine the store clerk thought you were going to use it as a cookbook?

by Anonymousreply 70September 4, 2013 11:08 PM

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

by Anonymousreply 71September 4, 2013 11:41 PM

Well you are wrong R63 and you obviously have no idea about a normal soccer Mom driving kids around. If her family (who knew her) and spent time with her, didn't think she would drive drunk...she didn't. Someone fucked up her autopsy. Probably on purpose. The situation simply did not fit Diane, at all. Insurance money was at stake, a lot of it. Someone could have very easily added the alcohol to the results without anyone being the wiser. Don't be so trusting of a police department and a coroner, they can be paid off. Insurance companies have enough money to bribe people.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2013 12:22 AM

I'm waiting for the movie version of "Something's Wrong With Aunt Diane". I can see the accolades now:

"Liza Minnelli IS Diane Schuler!!!"

by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2013 12:25 AM

Schuler's attorney at R43 and R72.

by Anonymousreply 74September 5, 2013 12:27 AM

But they found a bottle of vodka in Aunt Diane's car!

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2013 12:48 AM

Anyone could have planted that bottle or maybe she had gone to a byob party and she had simply left it in the care.

The whole thing is, if you knew Diane was routinely nipping vodka in the afternoon, would you let her drive your kids?

I mean it wasn't even a minor mistake. It was major and she was driving in an area she was used too. I think her bad tooth had given her blood poisoning and there was no way she should have been driving or doing anything else.

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2013 3:12 AM

Accident scene photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2013 3:32 AM

Diane was a closet drunk.

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2013 4:05 AM

-69-, no. It did not even go there. The recounting of details from his conversations with the 'good' cop who did hours and hours of interviews with him reveal a LOT of odd personality quirks -- above and beyond his penchant for killing and canabalizing his young victims.

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2013 12:05 PM

I agree, R78; Diane was a closet drunk. It would have been easy for her to fool her husband since they worked different hours and he clearly wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. An unintentionally funny thing in the documentary was when the sister-in-law/Danny Schuler apologist worried that now her family would find out she was a smoker since she had smoked onscreen. See how easy it is to hide things from friends and family?

It speaks volumes that Diane's brother and sister-in-law whose daughters died in the crash are no longer on speaking terms with Danny.

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2013 12:22 PM

Unsolved Mysteries!

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2013 12:36 PM

Interesting thing these days is how all this smug-ass soccer moms make a big deal about how much wine they guzzle down with their girlfriends on 'Girls' Night Out.' Fine, but don't turn into a drunk and then feel like you can get behind the wheel after a few. Especially with a vanload of kids. This documentary is sickening and infuriating. Everything so preventable.

Gad, she didn't even remotely look like her 'before' pictures -- I mean, despite the crash and everything. Another reason not to guzzle booze all the time.

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2013 2:39 PM

Point of Order, about the Army-McCarthy hearings. Darwin Porter said they were the beginning of reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2013 2:43 PM

"According to a police report, Schuler was seen at approximately 11:45 a.m. by the side of the road with her hands on her knees, as if vomiting; she was seen again in the same position a short time later, north of the Ramapo rest stop.

At about 1 p.m., another call was made to Hance from Schuler's cell phone. During this call, one of Schuler's nieces reportedly told her father that Schuler was having trouble seeing and speaking clearly. Schuler herself then talked to Hance and said that she was disoriented and couldn't see clearly. Police believe that the car was stopped in a pull-off area beyond the Tappan Zee Bridge tollbooths for at least part of this call.

Hance reportedly told Schuler to stay off the road while he came to meet them; follow-up calls from Hance to Schuler were not answered. A motorist later found Schuler's cell phone by the side of the road near the toll lanes of the Tappan Zee Bridge."

WHY THE FUCK didn't she stay put and let them meet her and help her??

by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2013 4:08 PM

Because she was drunk and high and planning to kill herself and the kids.

by Anonymousreply 85September 5, 2013 5:27 PM

[quote]Anyone could have planted that bottle

Why on earth would someone "plant" a bottle of vodka? How does that explain her blood alcohol content. She was a nobody so why would someone frame her?

by Anonymousreply 86September 5, 2013 5:45 PM

Another vote for "The Bridge." Completely haunting.

by Anonymousreply 87September 5, 2013 5:52 PM

I watched "I Survived BTK." I almost wish I hadn't. Dennis Rader is the sickest motherfucker I've ever heard of, at least as bad as Dahmer, because he killed children and masturbated to them dying slow, painful deaths. One can't help but empathize with and like Charlie Otero, even when he's spouting off some less-than-intelligent shit, because you know it's all coming from this rage he's been carrying inside for over 25 years.

Utterly heartbreaking. BTK alone is creepy for sure, but it's also WAY creepy that Charlie's son was hit by a car at the same time as he discussed Truman Capote's death, which he wished for due to watching In Cold Blood three nights before his mother, father, younger brother and sister were all massacred by BTK. He never got over that, it's obvious.

I guess he and the other victim's son shown "survived", but not really. Survival is a broad term. Dennis Rader fucked those lives up as surely as if he'd killed them, too. MAJOR CREEPFEST.

by Anonymousreply 88September 5, 2013 7:30 PM

It's not a documentary but I did watch the Ukrainian thrill killers and wow that was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 89September 5, 2013 7:36 PM

I really enjoy documentaries so I'm loving this thread.

by Anonymousreply 90September 5, 2013 7:38 PM

I saw that one, R88. I felt terrible for Charlie Otero. I can't even imagine experiencing what he experienced. I find serial killers like the BTK and GSK the most frightening.

by Anonymousreply 91September 5, 2013 7:49 PM

I didn't get the impression that Aunt Diane was a smug, wine drinking soccer mom. She seemed more like someone who was stressed, pressured, exhausted and in need of someone to give her a bit of a break and get some rest.

What she did was unforgivable. I'm sure she'd have preferred to smash head on into a tree at 85 mph while alone in the car but it didn't work out that way.

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2013 12:57 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2013 1:18 AM

I found the three Paradise Lost documentaries quite scary, mainly in terms of how justice can be perverted. Indictment: The McMartin Trial is an HBO dramatization, but it sticks very close to the facts of this notorious case about alleged pedophilia in a pre-school; it too is scary.

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2013 1:18 AM

Shit, r88, I just put that in my queue yesterday. I don't know if I can deal with that sort of terror right now. Maybe I'll wait.

Rader is fucking EVIL. Sick, sick evil twisted fuck.

I'm terrified of people like that. You never know where they are.

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2013 1:45 AM

Just Melvin, Just Evil.

Not easy to watch at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2013 2:00 AM

Just watched the BTK one. Sad.

Most of these though are not on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 97September 6, 2013 3:36 AM

Netflix kind of sucks when it comes to documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 98September 6, 2013 3:40 AM

My favorite documentary of all time is "Hotel Terminus, the Life and Times of Klaus Barbie" but it's not about a BTK-type serial killer. Barbie was a Nazi, nicknamed The Butcher of Lyon, who fled to Argentina. The documentary about his life, eventual capture and trial in France for war crimes is the most fascinating documentary I've ever seen.

It's looooooong but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 99September 6, 2013 3:57 AM

Why dies Charlie not believe that the BTK Killer really killed his parents? He was still going on about conspiracy theories after Rader was convicted. What was he in prison for?

I felt really bad when his son got hit by a car and permanently disabled. It's as if he has a black could over him.

by Anonymousreply 100September 6, 2013 12:17 PM

r100, Charlie Otero seems to have idolized his father so much that he makes the comment a couple of times in the film that he'll never believe Dennis Rader aka BTK could have overpowered Joseph Otero, Sr., by himself, much less killed him and the other three.

And he brags that his Dad, while in the Air Force or after, was involved with "top people" like import-exporters, I suppose Panamanian since they lived there for a time...Charlie thought for years, until they caught Rader, that the family had been murdered as a professional hit. The first thing he thought upon finding the bodies was, "Oh Dad--what did you DO?", and after spending 30 years believing that, I guess it would be hard to believe this nebbishy dogcatcher ruined your life just by chance.

by Anonymousreply 101September 6, 2013 12:46 PM

Reading the book written by Diane Schuler's sister-in-law and there was a lot of supposition. The cops assumed she was asking for pain reliever- silly that a convenience store wouldn't have it. They assumed a lot of things.

The morning of the accident, on their way home, Schuler brought the kids to a McDonalds. It was breakfast time and her son wanted Chicken McNuggets so she freaking argued and had a scene with the manager because she wanted to make sure her kids got what they wanted.

Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2013 1:01 PM

[quote]Was it The Reinactors, R11? With the messed up gay guy that played Freddy Krueger

That Freddy Krueger guy hit me up on adam4adam the DAY after I watched that documentary--I'm not even kidding! It was one of the most bizarre things that's ever happened to me. He denied it was him at first until I backed him into a corner and then he gave me some extremely long-winded sob story about how he was manipulated by the producers of the documentary and blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 103September 6, 2013 1:21 PM

^^Clutching my pearls!

by Anonymousreply 104September 6, 2013 1:40 PM

r102, why didn't they ask the convenience store attendant what Diane asked for? I mean, there's video of her inside the store. And surely whoever manned the register would've remembered, since that accident was such a big deal and was so widely publicized...especially upon being showed the surveillance camera footage, right?

I think the thing about this doc that makes it so compelling is the way the filmmaker told the story. All those overhead shots of the Taconic Parkway with the ominous music...it felt like you were about to witness the crash yourself. Just really dread-inducing. I doubt it will ever leave my head completely.

by Anonymousreply 105September 6, 2013 1:48 PM

The sister-in-law says she had some wild theories as to what could have happened to accoutn for Diane's actions, even going so far as to thinking the people at McDonalds posioned her. She admits this was preposterus but Schuler must have put up quite a stink that her son could got get Chicken McNuggets first thing in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 106September 6, 2013 2:00 PM

I still think "The Woman Who Wasn't There" is far creepier than the Aunt Diane story.

by Anonymousreply 107September 6, 2013 3:50 PM

The key moment in "Aunt Diane" is when the sister in law, having said again and again that the Diane they knew and loved could NEVER have been suicidal or had secret addiction issues, proceeds to light a cigarette and says "no one in my family knows I smoke".

by Anonymousreply 108September 6, 2013 4:13 PM

"Would you like a head-on, multiple fatality collision to go with those McNuggets?"

by Anonymousreply 109September 6, 2013 5:33 PM

Wrong Way Minivan Mom was an asshole. The guy at the gas station said she asked for Tylenol migraine capsules and he didn't have them. She walked out. She could have just bought fucking Tylenol and waited an extra 10 minutes for it to take effect. They surely sell Tylenol and Advil at the gas station. They just didn't have the more expensive version she wanted. It's the exact same medication you get in plain old Tylenol.

by Anonymousreply 110September 6, 2013 6:22 PM

I watched the clip of The Bridge on Youtube yesterday and it just freaked me out. How did they film all those suicides? They didn't just have a still-cam shooting like a security cam with no one monitoring it - you can see the camera zoom in and out when someone jumps. What? Does someone jump every couple of hours and you can just sit and watch it happen, just like a geyser going off? WTF? Especially that woman - they follow her walking on the bridge and voila, she gets up on the railing and dives down.

by Anonymousreply 111September 6, 2013 7:33 PM

I wondered the same thing R111. It so odd watching all those people doing Hail Mary's and prayers with cars going by and it looked as if there is quite a lot of foot traffic. Do people just nonchalantly watch people jump?

by Anonymousreply 112September 6, 2013 7:38 PM

Actually I answered my own questions by going on the film's website - the director explains everything. They basically filmed non-stop for one year, focusing on many various people who were on the bridge. 24 of those people jumped.

by Anonymousreply 113September 6, 2013 7:48 PM

No, you don't get it about the Tylenol Migraine, regular Tylenol or Advil does not even tough a migraine, in fact I doubt if Tylenol Migraine actually helps. I'm telling you, this woman was seriously sick and trying to work through it. The doctor who did the autopsy was lazy and lied. It was much easier to just say she was drunk. An inept, lazy doctor. Nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 114September 6, 2013 8:29 PM

R114, then what explains the daughter calling her mother from the car crying and the woman taking the phone from her and saying she was fine?

Or the toxicology report done on her exhumed corpse which verified the alcohol and drug use?

Or the strange phone calls?

by Anonymousreply 115September 6, 2013 8:34 PM

No, R114, she was drunk and stoned. You are delusional. She was a closet alkie.

by Anonymousreply 116September 6, 2013 8:56 PM

The Aunt Diane trolls have derailed this thread. Yawn. I'd like to hear more recommendations. Has anyone seen the Panzram doc on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 117September 6, 2013 9:52 PM

I agree with R99. "Hotel Terminus" is one of my favourites. It IS creepy actually, but least of all because of the the subject Klaus Barbie.

This documentary is over four hours long, and not difficult to explain in concept. But it illuminates the usefulness of evil across continents and decades and exposes those who profit from it. It is quite sarcastic at times. Barbie was the "Butcher of Lyon", but it is about so much more than him and his atrocities. Ophuls, (the director who made the classic documentary on the French resistance, "The Sorrow and the Pity") is much more a character in his own documentary "Hotel Terminus."

It is moving and frustrating with incredible access to victims, political enablers and liars. In such a long form, you lose sight of the shore for a while. It is masterfully brought back into focus. It makes the viewer question the many forms of evil and dilutes the concept of justice by exposing so many who profit from evil and how unconcerned they are. Provoking and creepy, but not scary.

The A&E documentary on serial killer Richard Speck is probably the one that creeped me out the most. I think it is on You Tube.

by Anonymousreply 118September 6, 2013 10:22 PM

I guess it depends how you define creepy. Some of these are gory... uncomfortable to watch... but I don't know if they are keep the lights on, look over your shoulder to make sure no one is there creepy.

by Anonymousreply 119September 6, 2013 10:39 PM

No one has really talked about "The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter".

The doc takes you to about every place mentioned in Bugliosi's book (for example, the spot where the LaBiancas bought their last newspaper - which prominently featured the Tate murders of the previous night, or the Denny's where Charlie bought the girls milkshakes to thank them for their work at the LaBiancas' house, etc.).

It is obsessively researched. One interesting factoid: After the Cielo drive murders the gang stopped at the very same gas station where James Dean filled his last tank of gas tank before his fatal car crash.

by Anonymousreply 120September 6, 2013 10:57 PM

Carried To Term: The Gwyneth Paltrow Story

by Anonymousreply 121September 6, 2013 11:02 PM

"Cropsey" is pretty darn creepy. "Cropsey" is the name of a boogeyman, a New York urban legend. The "Cropsey" in the movie is a man named Andre Rand. A very disturbed weirdo (during his perp walk he was actually drooling) he was Central Casting's version of a child killer. He was convicted of a series of child murders, but there was little real evidence that connected him to the crimes. And the testimony of people who wanted to have him convicted was frequently absurd. It was like he was convicted because he fit to a tee the embodiment of the Cropsey legend. The movie suggests that Rand might well be innocent, and the real "Cropsey" got away with murder.

I don't know of "In The Realms of the Unreal" could be called creepy. It's certainly haunting. It tells the story of Henry Darger, a reclusive janitor. After his death, his landlords found his life's work, an elaborate 15,143-page fantasy manuscript entitled "The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion", along with several hundred watercolor paintings and other drawings illustrating the story. Darger's life was sad and lonely, but his imagination and ability to create was astounding. He's now considered one of the most famous figures in the history or outsider art.

by Anonymousreply 122September 7, 2013 12:48 AM

R22, I think "In The Realms of the Unreal" is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 123September 7, 2013 1:27 AM

I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW about a couple of Tiffany fanatics is ultra creepy. At first I was trying to watch with an open mind, since the two main subjects do have some "challenges", but after the bike helmut scene--mindfuck! These people are absolutely clinical.

by Anonymousreply 124September 7, 2013 2:32 AM

Lol, R121.

by Anonymousreply 125September 7, 2013 4:05 AM

Totally agree that "I Think We're Alone Now" is creepy as fuck. The people depicted in that film, the ones so obsessed with Tiffany, of all people, are unfathomable to me. The level of obsession is what we used to see from Grateful Dead fsns and now we see with One Direction fans...but this was Tiffany, fer Chrissakes. A talentless mall act turned popstar.

The guy in drag with the long dyed blond hair vs. the earnest, clean cut guy...don't know who was creepier. If I were Tiffany, I'd be watching my back.

by Anonymousreply 126September 7, 2013 7:08 AM

It's darkly funny to me that so many people think there was any mystery to the Diane Schuyler story. Anybody who is an alcoholic or has been close to an active alcoholic can tell you that her actions that day were totally consistent with an active alky/addict. "But it was daytime...but she was driving a car with children...but there was no reason..." Sure there was. She was an alcoholic. The whole horrific scenario makes perfect sense to anyone who knows what alcoholism actually entails.

by Anonymousreply 127September 7, 2013 11:42 AM

The only mystery is why on that particular day the alcoholism caught up with her. She was probably used to driving intoxicated and presumably had done it before. Did she just drink too much? Maybe the alcohol from the night before had not metabolized yet?

by Anonymousreply 128September 7, 2013 3:58 PM

R128, maybe she drank more than usual. Maybe she had a fight with her husband before leaving the campsite (I thought it was strange that he did not drive with her). Maybe she wasn't used to mixing weed with booze?

R127, you are 100% correct. She was a functional alcoholic who fooled everyone.

by Anonymousreply 129September 7, 2013 4:03 PM

Maybe it's because some of us live in the real world where we might drive after drinking but we sure as hell would not let some drunk drive our kids around. You must realize how extremely inept some coroners are...or the stooges who perform their autopsies are. Car accident!? Drunk driver! "That's easy enough, I'm late to my golf game."

by Anonymousreply 130September 7, 2013 4:08 PM

She was in an alcoholic blackout.

That's what happens when you've drunk so much that your body cannot metabolize the alcohol so part of your bodily functions start to shut down.

The first to go is the brain. That's why she looked so dazed to passerbys.

It's literally like you're sleepwalking.

Unlike the others killed in that crash, she would not have suffered at all.

by Anonymousreply 131September 7, 2013 4:18 PM

"The two kinds of blackouts

Typically, there are two different kinds of alcohol induced blackouts, en bloc and fragmentary. En bloc blackouts are also referred to as "complete" blackouts because they refer to an inability to remember anything at all during a period of drunkenness. A person who experiences an en bloc blackout can appear to be completely conscious. He or she can carry on conversations and even complete complicated tasks, such as driving a car or cooking a meal. But he or she won't be able to remember anything about the experience later. Additionally, a person who is experiencing an en bloc blackout has short term memory and can remember things that have happened during the last few minutes, but he or she will not be able to recall anything from before then."

by Anonymousreply 132September 7, 2013 4:26 PM

"Zoo", about the "Enumclaw Horse-Sex Incident"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 7, 2013 4:36 PM

[quote]Maybe it's because some of us live in the real world where we might drive after drinking but we sure as hell would not let some drunk drive our kids around.

You obviously don't live in the real world, Aunt Diane's defender. Plenty of soccer moms are out there driving around after "girl's day out" with lunch and margaritas flowing and, yes, their kiddies are in the car.

Most coroner's do a fine job dear. They get in lots of trouble if they don't do a good job.

by Anonymousreply 134September 7, 2013 5:09 PM

You are naïve and just plain wrong, r134.

by Anonymousreply 135September 7, 2013 5:14 PM

Someone has a very vested interest in the fat cunt murderer's reputation. Family member or friend?

by Anonymousreply 136September 7, 2013 5:14 PM

Who cares about Aunt Diane? The documentary wasn't "creepy" and the debate is stale and tedious. Can we move on?

Here's one for you: Conspiracy of Silence, about the Franklin cover-up & child sex abuse ring. It was supposed to air on the Discovery channel, but they had to pull it because of political pressure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 7, 2013 5:23 PM

No, R135. I'm up there in years and seen it all. You are the one who sound peculiarly naive and sheltered.

by Anonymousreply 138September 7, 2013 5:37 PM

On the HBO website, there is a chat forum for Aunt Diane and someone asked "How the hell could she drive perfectly well while completely wasted?" and someone answered "Practice".

And, that's the end of the mystery, folks. Nothing else to see here. Doesn't matter if it was murder/suicide or an unfortunate miscalculation of how much vodka she could guzzle and pot she could smoke during a routine drive home without totally fucking up so many people's lives.

Let's move on, shall we?

"Burden of Dreams" will haunt you for years.

by Anonymousreply 139September 7, 2013 5:40 PM

OMG - I'd forgotten about Burden of Dreams, where the native offered to kill Klaus Kinski for Werner Herzog but Werzog declined because he needed to finish the film...

by Anonymousreply 140September 7, 2013 5:58 PM

CNN had an hour long show on Wayne Williams that was pretty creepy.

I know he did it. Back in the day, when a news reporter interviewer asked him why someone would be killing Atlanta's young blacks, Williams said...... Well, they are feral. And, of course, the unique fiber evidence traced back to him.

And like a black officer said.... a white person in the black community picking off black children would have really stood out. No way a white could have gotten that close to so many black children without being noticed, especially after everyone was on guard.

by Anonymousreply 141September 7, 2013 6:06 PM

[quote]The story of the West Memphis Three (Paradise Lost) is being made into a feature film with Reese Witherspoon. I can't imagine what role she would play.

She'll play the woman who marries Damian while he is in prison and starts the organization to free the three out of prison

by Anonymousreply 142September 7, 2013 6:32 PM

Correct R139. My aunt was married to a functional alcoholic. He is a career Air Force man and no one ever knew he was completely wasted except her.

by Anonymousreply 143September 7, 2013 6:33 PM

OP and R120- Thanks. I just added the Manson documentary on my Netflix list.

by Anonymousreply 144September 7, 2013 6:34 PM

This thread got seriously FUCKED up with all of the discussion of Aunt Diane, who was also FUCKED UP. Move on, there are already threads about her out there on DL. Find them and post there. Nothing creepy about that situation ...

by Anonymousreply 145September 7, 2013 6:36 PM

R141, the fiber evidence wasn't unique at all. Something like 30% of office buildings in the city have that carpeting. And the killings didn't stop until another suspect (also black) died of AIDS. Williams is sort of weird but he didn't kill those kids.

by Anonymousreply 146September 7, 2013 6:48 PM

Yeah he did! And his father was such an ass.

He was also caught red handed dumping his last body. Yeah, there just happened to be a big splash in the river(and a body subsequently recovered) just as Williams was crossing the bridge in his car.

GUILTY as hell!!

by Anonymousreply 147September 7, 2013 6:57 PM

I just saw After Porn Ends. Very interesting how what some of them are doing now.

by Anonymousreply 148September 7, 2013 7:09 PM

And yet r145 feels compelled to add another post about Aunt Diane.

by Anonymousreply 149September 7, 2013 7:14 PM

"The story of the West Memphis Three (Paradise Lost) is being made into a feature film with Reese Witherspoon. I can't imagine what role she would play."

A feature film based on a documentary? That sounds stupid as hell. There were THREE documentaries made about the West Memphis Three (I saw the first one; I personally didn't give a damn what happened to those three losers). What purpose is served by making a movie based on a story that's already been told to death? And Reese Witherspoon? She seems an odd choice to play the woman who married Damien Echols. His wife is older than him and said to be very annoying and bitchy. I guess Witherspoon will do the bitchiness very well. But she still seems too girlish for the role of the older woman.

by Anonymousreply 150September 7, 2013 11:56 PM

Mother FUCK. Enough with you Aunt Diane trolls. Start a new fucking thread if you want to discuss and debate. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 151September 8, 2013 12:19 AM

Human Remains

It is one of the most chilling documentaries I've ever seen.

Watch the short section at the website.

From the website:

Human Remainsis a haunting documentary which illustrates the banality of evil by creating intimate portraits of five of the 20th century's most reviled dictators. The film unveils the personal lives of Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Joseph Stalin, Francisco Franco and Mao Tse Tung. We learn the private and mundane details of their everyday lives -- their favorite foods, films, habits and sexual preferences. There is no mention of their public lives or of their place in history. The intentional omission of the horrors for which these men were responsible hovers over the film.

Human Remains addresses this horror from a completely different angle. Irony and even occasional humor are sprinkled throughout the documentary. This darkly poetic film is based entirely on fact, creatively combining direct quotes and biographical research. Though based on historical figures, Human Remains is contemporary in its implications and ultimately invites the viewer to confront the nature of evil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 8, 2013 12:20 AM

Does the Manson documentary discuss the criminal backgrounds of the victims?

Steven Parent had been arrested and spent time in juvenile hall.

Rosemary LaBiance was a former biker chick. She'd stolen possessions of former lovers -- from a coin collection to two cara. In addition to her colourful criminal career, she was also bisexual and bounced back and forth between husbands and lovers, getting impregnated by a former husband while married to another. Her "dress business" was a money laundering operation. No way did she go from selling dresses from the back if a truck to making a million dollars in profit from a dress shop. It was 1969. A million dollars was a shitload of money. Some people think she was a dealer if amphetamines. Others say it was money from Leno's various thefts.

Leno LaBianca was an embezzler. Stole a quarter of a million dollars from his own family's business. Was making restitution and taking out multiple mortgages on properties. With what money? Where was it coming from? Rosemary's "dress business"?

Suzanne Struthers daughter of Rosemary LaBianca, had been picked up by police for stealing a credit card. Police agreed not to press charges when Leno made restitution.

Joe Dorgan, Suzan's bf, had been arrested multiple times for grand theft auto. (BTW, the Manson family was involved in a car theft ring. It's why they were busted and why Sadie was in jail when she told Ronnie Whatshername about the murders)

Frank Struthers, son of Rosemary LaBianca, had been arrested for grand theft auto. Seems he didn't spend time at juvey, but some of his friends -- who had also been picked up for gta -- did. Some of those friends had expressed hatred of Leno and had been checked out by police with regards to the LaBianca killings, but it was found they were in juvenile hall at the time of the murders.

Suzan Struthers had lived around the corner from Tex Watson.

Voytek Frykowski was a drug dealer. He got started with money from Gibby Folger, who was a drug user.

Jay Sebring had very little money in the bank. Yet he was always expanding his business. Where did he money come from? Many people said it wasn't just hair cutting that brought people to Sebring's place of business. It was said he was a drug dealer to the stars and with that money he was expanding his business.

by Anonymousreply 153September 8, 2013 2:22 AM

"Does the Manson documentary discuss the criminal backgrounds of the victims?"

Oh shut up, you stupid fucking asshole. You're the moronic troll who keeps popping up in Manson threads trying to make the Manson victims out to be hardened criminals who brought on their own horrific deaths through their own actions. You're full of shit. I tend to think you're a fan of Manson's or maybe you're related to Tex Watson or Patricia Krenwinkle or Leslie Van Houten. Or maybe you're just a fan of those three sociopaths. At any rate, you're a fucking idiot. Just shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 154September 8, 2013 2:29 AM

The Manson apologist managed to kill the thread more definitively than Aunt Diane.

by Anonymousreply 155September 8, 2013 12:48 PM

"Just Melvin, Just Evil". It's on Youtube and creepy. Not a "favorite" creepy documentary. I'd never watch it again but thought I'd mention add it to the list.

by Anonymousreply 156September 8, 2013 1:06 PM

Most of that Manson information comes from the 2nd LaBianca police report. To this day there are people close to the case who believe it was all about drugs. "Helter Skelter" was just an elaboration of one of the many stories Charlie used to tell the girls and not a motive for the killing. Bugliosis wanted to get convictions on everyone so he made the motive more lurid.

Gary Hinman was creepily tortured and killed by the family because of a drug deal, and Charlie and Tex shot Lotsapoppa over the hostage-taking of Tex's gf because the Mansons owed Lotsapoppa drug money. Charlie and his biker friends were looking to become bigtime drug dealers.

by Anonymousreply 157September 8, 2013 1:32 PM

I watched The Women Who Wasn't There. I find it more pathetic than creepy. The only creepy part was what a psychotic like her could be capable of on a more damaging scale. That only came out in the last 5 seconds of the film.

Plus they were kind to her. They left out what made the guy so suspicious of her before he did his thorough internet search. He looked at a picture of the guy she claimed was her boyfriend and thought there was no way in hell he was dating that fat pig.

by Anonymousreply 158September 8, 2013 1:42 PM

Titicut Follies

by Anonymousreply 159September 8, 2013 1:45 PM

Thanks OP for this thread I love creepy documentaries !!

The Abyss by Werner Herzog its about death row inmates

Children underground, its about romanias children that live on the streets

Dear Zachary.....extremely sad

Sons of Perdition the story of few teenage boys who escpae Warren Jeffs FLDS cult...I was very close friends with one of the boys after watching the docu

by Anonymousreply 160September 8, 2013 5:56 PM

Aunt Diane here. Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 161September 8, 2013 6:55 PM

r160, agree with The Abyss. Werner sure knows how to pick creepy subjects and tell their stories in a really creepy way. It's been a while since I saw it, but I seem to remember crying at some points...

His Grizzly Man is an epic creepfest. As is Burden of Dreams.

So is his 30-min, extended PSA on texting and driving that was released this year. Not really a documentary, but certainly a great Herzog docu-drama. It's on YouTube, and it's disturbing as fuck.

There are TWO books about the Dyatlov Pass Incident coming out in early October. I can't find any documentary about this on Netflix or Amazon Instant, but it sounds like a great mystery that needs to be examined more thoroughly.

by Anonymousreply 162September 8, 2013 7:12 PM

R162 I never heard of Birden of dreams will check it out.

As for the Dytlov Pass incident I read a pretty reasonable explanation, link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 8, 2013 8:07 PM

Yeah, r163, I read all those theories, too. But they all seem a little far-fetched when you put them all together. As I understand it, all but four of the bodies were recovered within 2-3 weeks after it happened. The four who weren't took two months to be found, and they were at the bottom of a ravine. One of those bodies was the woman who had her tongue missing.

If the two men who were found first, at the edge of the forest, had suffered from "paradoxical undressing", which is a really whacked-out mental state, it doesn't seem consistent with them being able to build a fire. Yet the remains of a fire were found with their bodies.

I don't know, but I'm interested in reading one of the two new books coming out soon.

by Anonymousreply 164September 8, 2013 8:54 PM

I'll have to take some time to watch this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 8, 2013 9:28 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 166September 8, 2013 9:32 PM

R164 The thing about me is, I so want something spectacular and unusual to happen but I always choose to believe the more mondane explanation.

by Anonymousreply 167September 9, 2013 12:54 AM

There is a russian documentary for those you who don't mind CC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 9, 2013 1:07 AM

In addition to the three Paradise Lost documentaries, Peter Jackson's production company came out with "West of Memphis".

I was obsessed with this case b/c these boys were obviously innocent.

How Damien managed to maintain any sanity after all those years in isolation is incredible. I think most be would be a drooling mess with no command of language.

by Anonymousreply 169September 9, 2013 1:13 AM

Has anyone ever watched "Conspiracy of Silence" about the "Franklin Cover Up?"

I don't know what to think. Other opinions needed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 9, 2013 1:24 AM

I really don't think I can watch that.

by Anonymousreply 171September 9, 2013 3:28 AM

Watched Imposter and really liked it. So strange.

by Anonymousreply 172September 9, 2013 3:40 AM

More please

by Anonymousreply 173September 9, 2013 4:33 AM

[quote] I watched The Women Who Wasn't There. I find it more pathetic than creepy. The only creepy part was what a psychotic like her could be capable of on a more damaging scale. That only came out in the last 5 seconds of the film.

Plus they were kind to her. They left out what made the guy so suspicious of her before he did his thorough internet search. He looked at a picture of the guy she claimed was her boyfriend and thought there was no way in hell he was dating that fat pig.

I watched that documentary last year. There were parts of the Tania Head story that creeped me out. She stalked yahoo groups and other internet forums that were set up for 9/11 survivors to help each other out and then she joined into the groups with her fake survivor story and the story about the fake fiancee who died.

I agree she was pretty pathetic to pull off that crap to get friends and people to like her. I know there is a tie in book to the documentary, but I haven't read it. A scripted film is also in the works. My guess is that they will get Melissa McCarthy to play Tania.

by Anonymousreply 174September 9, 2013 6:06 AM

Or Bruce Vilanch. That's who I kept casting while watching it. That's probably why I couldn't find it as creepy as everyone else. Until, like I said, the last five seconds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 9, 2013 10:26 AM

Interesting, R174. Tania's story of "meeting cute" (she stole the boyfriend's cab and he gave her the cab in exchange for a date) struck me as extremely improbable, given her physical appearance. I was wondering why nobody in the documentary remarked on it.

by Anonymousreply 176September 9, 2013 11:23 AM

Thanks, R168.

There are a couple of new books on the Dyatlov Pass incident coming out in October.

by Anonymousreply 177September 9, 2013 11:46 AM

yeah if you do some outside reading that is the main reason he started digging on Tania. He just said no way was he dating her. One thing that cracked me up though was the animation in the documentary. It was so spot on in making her look pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 178September 9, 2013 11:52 AM

Yeah, okay, so "Zoo" was incomprehensibly creepy. Literally being fucked to death by a horse? Whose idea of a good time is that? Zoophilia? Really? "Receptive anal intercourse" with a stallion?

Size queens I get. Horsefuckers I don't.

That might have out-creeped Aunt Diane, everything Werner Herzog has ever done, all the West Memphis Three docs, and everything else I've ever seen.

I need a brain bleach.

by Anonymousreply 179September 10, 2013 3:01 AM

Ahem!

by Anonymousreply 180September 10, 2013 3:10 AM

You know that Catherine the Great dying from being fucked by a horse is a myth, right, R180?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 10, 2013 1:55 PM

I'm very interested in the Dyatlov Pass story but I can't take that Russian dialogue.

Please inform us when the books are published.

by Anonymousreply 182September 11, 2013 1:03 PM

I've watched about six of the documentaries on this thread and would love to hear some more recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 183October 3, 2013 10:19 PM

No, I never thought Wayne Williams killed those children.

by Anonymousreply 184October 3, 2013 10:27 PM

I tried to watch the Herzog/Kinski documentary but after about 20 minutes you realize Kinski was absolutely crazy and crazy is pretty much the same, year after year. Herzog's attraction to him? Probably gay.

by Anonymousreply 185October 3, 2013 10:32 PM

I watched Herzog's "Into the Abyss" and it was really good. One thing about watching some of this documentaries is that you realize some people are just totally fucked right from the get go. The father of one of the killers is doing 40 years and his other son is in jail as well. Those kids never had a chance.

I had to laugh at the animation in "The Woman who wasn't There". The drawing of the firefighter carrying her like a tiny child was hysterical. No way did that happen. It was amazing how she lied about everything - even having a dog.

by Anonymousreply 186October 3, 2013 10:40 PM

I just watched I Survived the BTK Killer. Creepy and sad. Lots of crime scene photos at the end.

by Anonymousreply 187October 3, 2013 10:45 PM

I Think Were Alone Now.

better go watch that one right now!!!

by Anonymousreply 188October 3, 2013 10:56 PM

The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan is so horrifying because of how this is just accepted.

by Anonymousreply 189October 3, 2013 10:57 PM

Not an official documentary, but they did a good job with this story about the missing Jamison family. They were a little odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 4, 2013 11:38 PM

[quote] I had to laugh at the animation in "The Woman who wasn't There". The drawing of the firefighter carrying her like a tiny child was hysterical. No way did that happen. It was amazing how she lied about everything - even having a dog.

I laughed at that too. I might have been able to believe a fireman carrying a thin woman, but not a big woman like Tanya.

by Anonymousreply 191October 5, 2013 2:20 AM

The Jamison family on Disappeared really freaked me out!

by Anonymousreply 192October 5, 2013 3:12 AM

watched that Jamison family thing last night. meh, didn't seem too freaky. it was probably the roommate guy.

by Anonymousreply 193October 6, 2013 7:38 PM

Is that the episode of Disappeared with that totally hot cop?

by Anonymousreply 194October 6, 2013 7:48 PM

I watched "The Staircase" on YouTube yesterday. I agreed with the verdict and enjoyed seeing how the media handled the trial. No one likes Nancy Grace - what a surprise. I won't spoil the ending, but go read the Wiki page on the defendant and see the updates on new info and behind the scenes stuff. There were so many screw ups, it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 195October 6, 2013 7:51 PM

R194, YES.

by Anonymousreply 196October 6, 2013 7:53 PM

r194 Omg, went and watched a clip and yes, that cop is Hot Hot Hot!

by Anonymousreply 197October 6, 2013 8:29 PM

just started this one, The Man Who Ate His Lover.

people really volunteer themselves to be murdered and eaten? jesus christ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 6, 2013 10:22 PM

He was hot wasn't he R196?

by Anonymousreply 199October 6, 2013 11:04 PM

Chicken Hawk is the king of creepy documentaries. Closely seconded by the Paradise Lost trilogy and Capturing the Friedmans. Oh, and Zoo is quite disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 200October 6, 2013 11:08 PM

I watched The Reinactors and After Porn Ends after seeing it recommended in this thread. Good stuff.

I'm really shocked though that I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW isn't a Datalounge sensation.

by Anonymousreply 201October 6, 2013 11:56 PM

I started to watch Zoo, but I don't think im ready yet. Thinking about horse fucking makes me feel pukey.

Ive just googled Chicken Hawk and I don't think im ready for that one either. I had no idea NAMBLA was a real thing. I thought it was just a South Park episode.

by Anonymousreply 202October 7, 2013 12:06 AM

"I Think We're Alone Now" really is quite extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 203October 7, 2013 12:07 AM

apparently you cant type N A M B L A all together on datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 204October 7, 2013 12:16 AM

HBO's 1992 Child of Rage

by Anonymousreply 205October 7, 2013 12:50 AM

Must Open After My Death

It's a scary window into suburbia in the early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 206October 7, 2013 12:57 AM

Currently watching Conspiracy of Silence.... The definition of Creepy. I wonder what percent of the adult population is sexually attracted to children... Feel so lucky I prefer my cock over the age of 18.

by Anonymousreply 207October 7, 2013 10:18 AM

Not sure if anyone mentioned Keep The River On Your Right. An aging NYC artist/anthropologist named Tobias Schneebaum returns to visit a cannibalistic Peruvian tribe he once lived with (and ate with) several decades ago. He also goes back to Papua New Guinea where he lived with another tribe and had a male partner.

by Anonymousreply 208October 7, 2013 5:07 PM

Must Read After My Death

where can I watch this? Netflix doesn't have it, and not on youtube...

by Anonymousreply 209October 7, 2013 11:15 PM

Doc. on serial kiling drifter Glen Rogers. He was catnip for the ladies, so they kept meeting him in bars and inviting him to live in their trailers the next day.

His brother swears he killed Nicole Brown-Simpson. He had been skulking around LA, looking for opportunities. O.J. Simpson was trying to get someone to get back some items he considered his (sound familiar?) and arranged for the thug to go over to Nicole's and "retrieve" them. He was crouching in the shrubs waiting for his chance when Ron Goldman surprised him. There was an altercation and Goldman was gravely injured. Nicole came out to investigate and he jumped her and knocked her out against a wall. He went back to finish off the rousing Goldman then, when Nicole showed signs of coming to- he had to go back and give her a fatal slice across the throat. Then he split.

Of course when O.J. became aware of this horror, he could no longer stay in LA so he hopped on a plane.

So you see, O.J. didn't kill Nicole after all. But he's responsible for those two deaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 7, 2013 11:29 PM

I think Glen did it but it had nothing to do with OJ.

If the DA hadn't wanted so badly to pin it on OJ, they could have easily convicted Glen of the crime. Evidence was tampered with and an innocent man was blamed.

by Anonymousreply 211October 8, 2013 1:12 AM

R202, I can watch "Zoo" but I can't watch the child abuse stuff. "Deliver Us from Evil" looks fascinating but I know I couldn't handled it just based on YouTube clips.

"Zoo" was really creepy because the main people who are interviewed would never really come right out and say they were having sex with the animals. They will allude to certain things but never admit what exactly was going on. If it helps, the actual sex part only last a couple of seconds. I guess horses aren't big on satisfying their partners.

His family found tons of videos of him with animals and animal dildos, including one made from the horse that killed him. They burned everything. Can you imagine finding that stuff? Even the cops were freaking out.

I think I've been talked into the Tiffany film.

by Anonymousreply 212October 8, 2013 2:40 AM

I've never seen Zoo, but I saw this BBC documentary about zoophilia, "Animal Passions," several years ago. It absolutely delivers if creepy is what you want. Flyover pervs with terrible hair, casually chatting with each other about their kink, leering at farm animals. Have fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213October 8, 2013 3:15 AM

Let us know what you think of the Tiffany doc, R212!

by Anonymousreply 214October 8, 2013 8:36 AM

TV documentary on serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells. He appears so benign it's understandable how he ingratiated himself with so many people (usually women). Though he was often the last face they ever saw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 8, 2013 8:59 PM

I just watched, "The Reinactors". Does anyone know if people still dress as characters and hangout on Hollywood Blvd?

I wish they'd do a sequel to follow up on where everyone is now.

by Anonymousreply 216October 8, 2013 11:22 PM

Ugh R213, I tried to watch "Animal Passions" but I couldn't make it to the 30 minute mark. Just too gross! Flyover pervs is right: a remarkably unattractive selection of frumpy people discussing their disgusting sexual habits. And the way they acted so blase and cutesy about it was irritating. They had zero shame.

by Anonymousreply 217October 9, 2013 12:09 AM

Here is one of the best (creepy / hilarious) clips from the BBC Zoophilia documentary...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 9, 2013 4:41 AM

[quote]but I saw this BBC documentary about zoophilia, "Animal Passions," several years ago

Does anyone remember a movie (not a doc) called "Passion in the Desert" about a soldier who falls in love with a leopard and then kills her? It was based on a Balzac story.

by Anonymousreply 219October 9, 2013 4:59 AM

Uncle Goddam

by Anonymousreply 220October 9, 2013 5:08 AM

[quote]Ive just googled Chicken Hawk and I don't think im ready for that one either.

Is it about Foghorn Leghorn?

by Anonymousreply 221October 9, 2013 5:10 AM

R35

I don't know of any documentary about the case, I'll have to check it out. There is a good book about it though, The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. Fascinating reading.

by Anonymousreply 222October 9, 2013 5:47 AM

R211 served on O.J.'s jury.

by Anonymousreply 223October 9, 2013 5:48 AM

R222, actually there is one on hulu. It's not very good. Devil in the White City is a good read.

People who work in the Post Office where the murder mansion used to stand swear the place is haunted. The original tunnels remain below.

His grandson Jeff Mudgett wrote a book "Bloodstains" about about Holmes being the dirty family secret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224October 9, 2013 5:56 AM

Just watched Chicken Hawk on YouTube. One man profiled was the epitome of a creepy pederast, Leland Stevenson. Totally delusional that pre-teen boys were flirting with him.

A Google search shows he died this year in Sri Lanka. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 225October 9, 2013 9:15 AM

Probably bonking little Indian Boys, R225.

by Anonymousreply 226October 9, 2013 10:09 AM

Can someone post the chicken hawk youtube link? I can't seem to find it.

by Anonymousreply 227October 9, 2013 10:12 AM

When did youtube start playing full-length videos vs the soundbites?

by Anonymousreply 228October 9, 2013 10:17 AM

Chicken Hawk - Men Who Love Boys (1994)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229October 9, 2013 10:21 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230October 9, 2013 10:30 AM

There was a perv who lived in the same apartment complex as me in San Diego whose license plate read "MMCHIKN" (or some variation of "MMM...CHICKEN).

by Anonymousreply 231October 9, 2013 10:41 AM

Just watched Dear Zachary on YouTube. I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 232October 9, 2013 11:50 AM

Thanks r229/30, just watched it. Beyond disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 233October 9, 2013 2:45 PM

Girl Model (2011) about scam modeling agencies that recruit girls from Siberia and other Russian backwaters to be "models" in Japan only to fleece them for money. Ashley, the American ex-model who recruits them, is the creepiest part of all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 9, 2013 2:57 PM

Do they just milk them for money or force them into the sex trade?

by Anonymousreply 235October 9, 2013 3:01 PM

Is Faces of Death as horrific as I imagine? I remember seeing the VHS tape in the video store, but could never get myself to rent it. Oh, yeah. I am an elder gay.

by Anonymousreply 236October 9, 2013 10:41 PM

Where can I find the Aunt Diane one? It's not on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 237October 10, 2013 2:03 AM

The full Aunt Diane doc is on Vimeo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 10, 2013 2:08 AM

Thank you, r238!

by Anonymousreply 239October 10, 2013 2:22 AM

bug chasing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240October 10, 2013 9:52 PM

A lot of "Faces of Death" is staged. I didn't realize it until I heard Gene Siskel on tv say, "Notice how the camera angles change during the bear attack".

by Anonymousreply 241October 10, 2013 9:56 PM

R240= very creepy. Especially Kenboy. And the guy with the unknown diseases( his doctor doesn't know what he has) who keeps getting sick but still won't stop barebacking is another creeper.

by Anonymousreply 242October 11, 2013 7:25 PM

Truth or Dare

by Anonymousreply 243October 11, 2013 7:30 PM

Most of "Faces of Death" is fake, hilariously so. One bit was supposed to show the horrors of execution; a guy is taken into a room, blindfolded, and put in a chair. He has a cap put on his head (his head is not shaved) and he's electrocuted lickety split; foam starts coming out of his mouth and eyes...the horror, the horror! I can't believe anyone would think they're witnessing an actual execution by electric chair. It looks like something you'd see in a John Waters movie.

by Anonymousreply 244October 12, 2013 1:18 AM

Not gross creepy, but pretty dark nonetheless: "Hitler's Children". They interview Goebbel's daughter, Himmler's granddaughter, the grandson of the commandant of Auschwitz, and a child of the gauleiter of Poland. Fascinating look at how you conduct a normal life in the shadow of such godawful evil.

The grandson of the commandant of Auschwitz (who could be gay) meets a group of Israeli teenagers (descendants of survivors) at Auschwitz. Pretty amazing meeting.

by Anonymousreply 245October 12, 2013 1:28 AM

I watched the Glen Rogers documentary and I don't for a minute believe that idiot brother and sister talking about Nicole simpson. The brother is a delusional career criminal ranting about demons and dragons and abysses and the sister is a woman over the age of 60 with at least one facial piercing who appears to be using her tongue to try and keep pushing someone else's dentures onto the roof of her mouth. They're lying, cheating, thieving hillbillies.

If OJ Simpson wanted a pair of earrings back, he could go inside Nicole's condo and get them himself. Just push her aside, go into her bedroom and grab the jewelry. It would be a lot easier than hiring someone else to get inside her condo, which is unfamiliar to him, and get the jewelry. And if Rogers hung out with Nicole, when would he be hanging with OJ? More likely OJ would beat the shit out of some hick white guy who's partying with his ex-wife, rather than striking up a relationship trustworthy enough that OJ would ask Rogers to rob and possibly kill his wife.

I'm sure the reason why LAPD didn't believe Rogers is because he didn't know details about the crime scene that were not made public.

by Anonymousreply 246October 12, 2013 3:17 AM

I don't recommend R120's suggestion of Six Degrees of Helter Skelter. What a crap documentary that was. It's basically a homemade video from the guy who owns Find A Death, which isn't just a website but a tour, so of course this "documentary" is an extended advertisement for his tour. It's just cheap and dumb, not "creepy" in the least.

by Anonymousreply 247October 12, 2013 9:26 AM

That bug chasing one really depressed me. Fucking sad and incomprehensible that some people see HIV+ as some sort of exclusive "club" they need to join.

by Anonymousreply 248October 13, 2013 5:15 PM

I don't know if this is available on Netflix. I watched it on ID and then read the story on Vanity Fair. It was fascinating to me from a procedural aspect. This woman is found beat up and raped in the Florida swamps, turns out she has been staying in a hotel, the PI is hired to find out what happened (and absolve the hotel from responsibility) and he uncovers a serial rapist.

Another story, also on VF, with the same detective, is about a man who mysteriously died in a hotel room in Texas. "The Body in Room 348".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249October 18, 2013 12:45 PM

Yes, R248. And honestly, when the HIV+ guys were sitting around talking and they asked where are the fabulous ( I think they used that word, which I took to mean desirable, sexually active)45 yo gay men out there? Basically saying that men like that could be role models for the community. But they made it seem like those men are very rare which freaked me out. And I guess that's why the bug chasers feel like they're going to get it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 250October 18, 2013 7:44 PM

^Hiv- 45 yo gay men

by Anonymousreply 251October 18, 2013 7:47 PM

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Suggest you do not have any heavy objects within reach lest they be thrown at you TV

by Anonymousreply 252October 20, 2013 2:40 AM

Utterly heartbreaking

by Anonymousreply 253October 20, 2013 3:34 AM

Hundreds of unanswered questions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254October 24, 2013 7:49 PM

Cropsey is the ultimate. Real chilling stuff.

But if you want to feel fucked up for days watch ACT OF KILLING. I could neveer watch this again.

by Anonymousreply 255July 30, 2014 6:59 AM

R209 I found "Must Read After My Death" online here.

Agree with R206 it's a scary/uneasy look at 60s suburbia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256September 21, 2014 7:12 PM

Watched one on Netflix called Trinity and Beyond, about the nuclear tests in the Pacific and it was frightening. If you can find the Nova special about the Tsar bomb, that was scary too.

by Anonymousreply 257September 21, 2014 7:18 PM

Into the Abyss by Werner Herzog, follows the case of two very disturbing psychopaths on Death Row.

Vernon, Florida by Errol Morris, just for the unsettling backwoods atmosphere

The PBS documentary on the Peoples Temple and the Jonestown Massacre

by Anonymousreply 258September 21, 2014 7:21 PM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 259October 13, 2014 8:29 AM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 260October 13, 2014 8:31 AM

by Anonymousreply 261October 13, 2014 8:31 AM

by Anonymousreply 262October 13, 2014 8:32 AM

The people who walk on all fours. By PBS.

by Anonymousreply 263October 31, 2014 2:42 AM

The People Who Walk on All Fours. Shown on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 264October 31, 2014 2:49 AM

Halloween bump

by Anonymousreply 265October 31, 2014 3:15 PM

As for The Bridge, I always wonder what the film maker really had in mind when he set up those cameras around the Golden Gate Bridge.

He told the Parks department on his application that he wanted to film the bridge for a year and capture it in all weather and all seasons, but in truth, he had read the New Yorker article on the Golden Gate Jumpers and wanted to capture those.

He got busted near the end of the year, and then insisted his film was about the survivors, the victims, and their families, and about the groups that help the suicidal, but those scenes are cobbled in -- the real scenes are of the jumps.

Had he not been busted and exposed, I've always wondered what he had planned for his film.

by Anonymousreply 266October 31, 2014 5:41 PM

I finally watched Aunt Diane and The Woman Who Wasn't There. Bump for 2015 Netflix recommendations. I'm going to check out the Imposter next. This is one of my favorite all-time DL threads.

by Anonymousreply 267May 23, 2015 6:47 PM

Bridegroom. Incredible.

by Anonymousreply 268May 23, 2015 6:53 PM

Re Bridegroom. Not that it's creepy, it's just good.

by Anonymousreply 269May 23, 2015 6:54 PM

Any new creepy documentaries out there?

by Anonymousreply 270September 19, 2015 4:13 AM

The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden - a bunch of Europeans move to the Galapagos island, bad things start to happen

by Anonymousreply 271September 19, 2015 4:01 PM

Denny Hastert and Jerry Sandusky should have appeared in "Chicken Hawk"

by Anonymousreply 272September 19, 2015 4:01 PM

Crazy Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273September 19, 2015 4:06 PM

There's no such thing as the supernatural or paranormal, so you're fooling yourself for cheap thrills and the fantasy filmmakers are wrong to pander to you under the guise of "documentary."

But plenty of real history has been creepy and scary.

You should watch any documentary about Ed Gein, the Wisconsin serial killer and psychopath who inspired classic horror villains like Norman Bates, Leatherface and Buffalo Bill.

This one is great and free on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274September 19, 2015 4:13 PM

Many of these recommendations are no longer on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 275September 19, 2015 8:46 PM

Louis Theroux - 'America's Medicated Kids'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276September 19, 2015 9:44 PM

The Cannibal Cop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277March 13, 2017 6:59 PM

I still find it very disturbing to watch any of the 9/11 documentaries that have closeups of the jumpers and the people trapped on the high floors. There is someone waving what looks like a white tablecloth from the very corner window of the very top floor. And some of the scenes with Guiliani and the firefighters in the lobby when you hear those massive crashes as the bodies hit. It's worse than seeing the fireballs when the planes hit. I also can't stand to watch any of the WWII documentaries showing the liberation of the camps and the mass graves. Once you've seen that stuff you don't really need to see it again. With all due respect to Holocaust survivors...

There is a really good PBS documentary about the Donner Party. I think David McCullough narrates it and reads from letters. But of course there is no actual footage. But it's very well done, and conveys a great sense of dread as more and more things go wrong.

And, although I find these actually more fun than creepy, I like the documentaries about Stanley Kubrick's films and the hidden messages in them. There is one called ROOM 237 that focuses on THE SHINING, and two others I got from the library that look at his other work, like EYES WIDE SHUT. But then I have always liked picking apart things looking for symbolism and recurrent themes.

by Anonymousreply 278March 13, 2017 7:31 PM

I wonder what the above poster meant who wondered what the director of The Bridge actually had in mind for his footage before he was busted? Some kind of snuff footage? I don't think so... he had to put in work on interviewing people who actually survived their jumps as well as families of some of the jumpers. I don't think he would be able to rush all of that effort in order to justify his footage if he had other intentions in mind. It is an extremely chilling but important film.

by Anonymousreply 279March 13, 2017 7:48 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 280May 31, 2017 11:39 PM

Grizzly Man

Werner Herzog's documentary of nutcase Timothy Treadwell, the guy who was eaten by bears

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 31, 2017 11:52 PM

Timothy Treadwell grew up near me, let me tell you he is the PERFECT embodiment of Florida Man. Dazed, meandering, childlike, and broke.

by Anonymousreply 282May 31, 2017 11:58 PM

"Cat Dancers," HBO (2008)

"The 75 minute documentary charts how Ron Holiday, Joy Holiday and Chuck Lizza, aka the "Cat Dancers", became one of the world's first exotic tiger entertainment acts. For years the trio shared a happy if unorthodox life as performers and lovers until a pair of bizarre cat-related deaths brought their story to a tragic end." - Wiki

Though it is a tragic story, it is truly fascinating. (It's as if they are arrogantly, deliberately oblivious to the dangerous circumstances they've placed themselves in, by choice.) With Ron Holiday as the narrator throughout the film, he tells the story of their lives before they met; their lives while they were together; and the circumstances leading up to the tragic end, and how it happened. Their story could be applied to any human / wild animal engagement situation; eventually, the outcome is always the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283June 1, 2017 12:06 AM

"There is no doubt that a gas maniac exists and has made a number of attacks. But many of the reported attacks are nothing more than hysteria. Fear of the gas man is entirely out of proportion to the menace of the relatively harmless gas he is spraying. The whole town is sick with hysteria."

The Mad Gasser of Matoon from link at R163. OMG this is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 284June 1, 2017 5:02 AM

The Johnny Gosch (sp?) one. Fucked with me for days. "Where's Johnny?", I think.

It was on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 285June 1, 2017 5:06 AM

I don't know how Treadwell could convince a woman to camp with him on Kodiak Island in Fall when they both should have known that bears are aggressive at that time.

If he had a death wish he should at least not taken people with him.

by Anonymousreply 286June 1, 2017 5:23 AM

If he knew, he likely dismissed the fact, r286. He seemed to see bears as friendly. He was delusional, like the people at Yellowstone who place their toddler on bison for a photo op, or who feed the baby bears. Just willfully delusional to his own and others' detriment.

by Anonymousreply 287June 1, 2017 6:33 AM

Not to be pedantic r286 but Treadwell camped and died at Katmai National Park which is on the mainland. Many planes fly out there from nearby Kodiak though.

by Anonymousreply 288June 1, 2017 6:37 AM

Oh sorry I mixed that up, he was camping in autumn though which was very dangerous because bears are storing up food/fat in their bodies for their hibernation period in Winter and are therefore very aggressive.

I think they guy was nuts and he had a death wish. Unfortunately another person had to die as well.

by Anonymousreply 289June 1, 2017 7:27 AM

The bears tolerated him because food was plentiful. He was basically in the way so after 13 years the inevitable happened.

by Anonymousreply 290June 1, 2017 7:36 AM

The woman was a female version of him, an idiotic loner with some sort of disability/trust fund situation going on. They were like the perfect couple. iirc she met him at some grizzly bear dingleberry recipe sharing event.

by Anonymousreply 291June 2, 2017 5:02 PM

by Anonymousreply 292January 11, 2018 5:08 PM

The surviving sister in that 32 Pills doc on HBO is nutz! I couldn't get past her (she won't let anyone) to finish the movie. Scolding her two year old when the two year old said her dad loved her more than she did was just gross. "I don't know if this is normal two year old behavior or not." Of course it is you dumb bitch. Usually, little kids say this stuff and they don't really mean it, however in this woman's case I think the poor kid was probably right. And projecting her sister's mental illness on the toddlers, Jesus Christ. The kids will be fucked up all right! Credit goes to mom.

by Anonymousreply 293January 15, 2018 5:00 PM

by Anonymousreply 294January 17, 2018 6:20 PM

The "I think we're alone now" documentary is off the chain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295September 5, 2020 10:39 PM

ive seen em all

now whut????

by Anonymousreply 296September 5, 2020 11:58 PM

Has anyone seen 'The Wolf pack?' It's one of the most fascinating documentaries ever made. It blows me away that it's a true story. Seven siblings, along with their emotionally fragile mother, are locked away in their NYC apartment for 14 years by an alcoholic, possibly schizophrenic father. Their only outlet is watching movies. Soon they begin to act out the movies as if they were real life. This is the real-life 'Allegory of the cave.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297September 6, 2020 12:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!