Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The real world of Johnny Depp

No conspiracy theories about snuff films or Satanist blood-drinking rituals with President Obama, please. Let's keep it reality-based.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2018 4:17 AM

Can we get this thread going again? Get some real inside scoop?

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2013 2:19 PM

I can't imagine Depp ever meeting Obama.

Depp is fugly, limited in talent, a one trick pony. His movie's are now flops - The Lone Ranger, The Tourist in fact I cannot recall when he last had a hit movie.

He's over.

ps the blond hair makes him look even fuglier.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2013 2:24 PM

What's the point, then, OP, to live in a fantasy world?

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2013 2:28 PM

Recent pictures of Depp show him looking gaunt, like he has lost a lot of weight. He had been looking very bloated. It appears that he off the alcohol and is using e cigarettes to try to quit smoking. I thinks this is all too little too late though.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2013 2:54 PM

curious to know what the behind the scenes gossip is. behind the pr smoke and mirrors. he's presented himself a certain way for years, and it seems that the facade is crumbling. he appears full on in the middle of a mid-life crisis, with the 27 year old blonde on his arm.

the questions that come to mind:

- was he a serial monogamist as he appeared, or was he really just banging every one and thing in sight as rumors are now claiming?

- what is the real deal with him and amber heard? because something looks really wrong in that picture?

- he's got a hanky hanging out of his pocket pretty often. is that fashion or is he abiding by the code?

- just how drunk is he on a regular basis? is he into the hard drugs as well?

- what happened the night of river phoenix's death? some reports have come out now that he and some other fled the scene? where'd they go, why?

i'm sure there's a lot more of interest, but as someone who's been a fan for years, these are some of the unanswered questions i'd love to know. and anything else anyone would like to share.

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2013 3:42 PM

As a multimillionaire who enjoys so much fame and adulation I find it hard to understand why he's such an addict/alcoholic.

I'm thinking he can't live with himself due to guilt and shame. He's likely seen or been involved in some really nasty stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2013 3:46 PM

At R5 I heard he banged one or both of the Olsen twins. This makes him look like an old perv.

He has the appearance of an ex addict.

Neither he nor Heard look happy together. It just looks weird.

One of the funniest comments I read on another website was a poster who stated that seeing pictures of Heard and Depp reminded them of Anna Nicole Smith and her old man.

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2013 3:56 PM

He seems like an interesting guy, also for his association with Hunter Thompson. What did those two talk about.

by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2013 4:03 PM

He's the real "Command" in SCANDAL.

by Anonymousreply 9November 1, 2013 4:03 PM

No way Heard is really into him. He needs her to keep the picture alive that he is still hot (which does not really work) and she needs him for the exposure. They have zero chemistry. Depps friendship with Marilyn Manson, Hunter S. Thompson and his interest in criminals like the West Memphis Three and John Wayne Gacy is extremely creepy.

by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2014 4:13 AM

He must be loaded. anybody know what's his net worth? He owns his own island, who knows how many houses in how many countries...plus agents, lawyers, manager, accountants, bodyguards etc. Must cost a lot to maintain all of these things. Not to mention $ to his ex and kids.

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2014 4:28 AM

R11, according to Vanity Fair he earned in 2010 alone 100 million dollars. It's just fucking crazy. I can't even imagine what kind of life you live when you can have pretty much everything you want.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2014 4:40 AM

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2014 4:47 AM

This is a total thread hijack, but I am on a serious David Bowie kick lately in case anyone with a subscription would like to be so kind as to post a thread titled "The Real World of David Bowie."

Thank you in advance.

Carry on

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2014 4:56 AM

If Heard switched sides with this she made a very bad deal. Depp is dirty, has rotten teeth in his mouth and is either drunk or on drugs most of the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2014 5:01 AM

I'll do it r14

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2014 5:01 AM

wow, is that a recent picture of him and is his hair real?

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2014 5:04 AM

I saw him fairly close up at SXSW. Though he had on an enormous KGB looking overcoat (and it was hot in Austin), a fedora and glasses. The only distinguishing thing was that he is short (probably 5'7). His gf is pretty in a nondescript sort of way. She's from Austin and told a reporter they 're planning on buying a house there.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2014 5:09 AM

He seems to be used to getting what he wants. I keep hearing rumors that he's more into her than she is into him. He better have her sign a prenup.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2014 5:12 AM

Don't see any bad teeth in that pic, r15.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2014 5:14 AM

Honestly, he's starting to look like Corey Feldman.

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2014 5:21 AM

r6, you're very naive, but it's nice to know there are charming little guys like you in this cynical world.

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2014 5:26 AM

But r15, he has beautiful skin, thank to his Cherokee background.

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2014 5:28 AM

I used to jerk off to this pic when I was a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2014 5:30 AM

Redd Foxx died while shooting "The Royal Family" the same day cast and crew witnessed special guest-star Johnny Depp motor-boating Della Reese behind the craft tables.

At the time, witnesses said Reese began moaning out a cover of "I Say A Little Prayer".

I choose to believe this moment was the inspiration for "Walk With You"

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2014 5:46 AM

R24 He was try hard then and he is try hard now. Sorry, dumb guys are just not sexy.

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2014 5:49 AM

I'd throw those legs to jesus, no problem.

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2014 6:02 AM

- Earrings

- Caftans

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2014 6:59 AM

He cut his hair shorter. When he cleans up, he's not that bad. Sigh, he was still beautiful not so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2014 7:09 AM

r25, that was just ... bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2014 12:41 PM

I've posted the following a million times but, what the hell, here's another time:

I have close friends and relatives who were, for research purposes, consulted by the production team of "Dillenger."

They also met with, at least a few times, both Depp and Marion Cotillard, with one close friend and an acquaintance having dinner with him.

I hate to disappoint, but. by all accounts, Depp could not have been a nicer guy. No airs, no movie star attitude, no entourage. My friend said Depp deflected attention from himself by asking you questions and being an active listener.

Whatever Depp's eccentricities, he a real professional and is nice to the little people.

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2014 1:05 PM

Yeah Della, the first time I actually remember hearing anything negative about Depp was when the rumors about his troubles with Vanessa Paradis surfaced. My negativity against him comes mainly from his outrageous salaries and that his performances are nowadays pretty one note.

Personally he's never been any kind of favorite to me. I appreciated his beauty when he was younger, and his Ed Wood was great. But really nowadays when I think of him it's mainly about him acting badly in Tim Burton's films and making way too much money from it. I don't doubt at all that he's a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2014 3:03 PM

Someone on here was saying he and Tim Burton run a pedophile ring.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2014 3:10 PM

I've been a fan of JD since 21 Jump Street. I'm still a fan though I haven't been interested in most of the movies he's made lately. He's still my favorite movie star--I'll take him over Pitt, Clooney, Damon, etc., any day.

I wonder about his two kids--are they in France with Vanessa? Or did the entire family move to Los Angeles?

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2014 3:29 PM

For some reason, he gives me a real "who am I this time" vibe.

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2014 4:03 PM

I wonder why he is still working nonstop. His friendship with Hunter S. Thompson, his interest in satanism and people like The West Memphis Three, Marilyn Manson and John Wayne Gacy is beyond creepy. Also there is the disappearance of his former business partner Anthony Fox who wanted to take Depp to court on charges of fraud. The Viper Room must have been a hangout of some serious criminals considering all the drug dealing that went on there. Maybe he has to pay hush money to keep all the shit he was involved with under the carpet.

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2014 9:39 AM

If Johnny Depp is in a movie that puts me off, I don't want to see the movie even if it looks good. For example his latest one Transdescence actually looks good, it's got a Christopher Nolan feel to it but the clips I've seen Depp looks horribly mis-cast. I just keep thinking why was he cast? and of all the other actors they could have gone for in that role. Then I read an interview with Wally the director and he explained Depp's casting "I was on the telephone to Depp's agent about another client when she demanded to know why Depp had not been sent this script" That's how he got the part, his agent shunted another actor. Wonder who that actor is?

I can never understand why Depp gets a free pass with the press/media. Any report they write on him at least several times throughout they refer to him as being handsome. That may have been true 20 years ago but not now. Why do they never bring up his involvement in River Phoenix death and the disappearance of Anthony Fox.

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2014 10:10 AM

He was at his hottest in A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 8, 2014 10:39 AM

R 20 then I suggest you make an appointment with your optician, and don't get behind the wheel of a car until after you get some glasses.

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2014 4:11 PM

His reputation was pretty good until his breakup with Paradis and the cheating allegations against him.

Why is a breakup such a hit on a celebrity's rep? Look at Paltrow currently -- it's just a flood of negative press.

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2014 4:19 PM

He's good buddies with the very, very, very, very strange Damien Echols of "Paradise Lost" fame. Did he kill, or help kill, those three boys? Who knows? At any rate, he's a very bizarre person and anyone who would associate with him seems a little "off", too. He and Depp are such bosum buddies that they even got matching tattoos! That is just so...weird.

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2014 4:26 PM

He seems like a dorky guy who wraps himself in manufactured darkness and when it turns real and sordid, likes it. Like Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson. Like dorky serial killers or the nerds turned drug dealers.

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2014 4:57 PM

Apparently his gf, Amber Heard, is pregnant. They both like opiates.

by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2014 5:04 PM

Isn't it funny that Depp's only writing and directing credit is for a snuff movie.

by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2014 11:47 PM

He fucked Angelina Jolie in that last film they did together.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2014 11:50 PM

To me Depp is a zero. Pathetic, but exceptionally rich. He made a family with a wife who was much younger than him and he didn't manage to keep it. He broke his home. If he was a really romantic as people claim that he is, he would tie the knot with Vanessa. He is not ok. He is just an unconventional poser, but he is always a poser.

by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2014 11:58 PM

He's gotten really ugly.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2014 11:58 PM

r37 more about the Anthony Fox disappearance please.

by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2014 12:09 AM

He came across as so dumb and pretentious in that awful Nick Tosches VF piece it just killed any remaining appeal he held for me.

by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2014 12:13 AM

Another apparent crime that has captured the interest of California's law enforcement community is the mysterious disappearance of Anthony Fox, who vanished without a trace around Christmas, 2001. Fox was a partner in a notorious nightclub that operated as a venue for drug dealers called The Viper Room. This club was located on Hollywood's Sunset Strip and had a history of being controlled by members of the American Mafia. In the 1940s, the club, then called the Melody Room, was a gambling and drug den, controlled by Bugsy Siegel and his associates.

Decades later, this nightclub, renamed The Central, was in decline, until owner Anthony Fox was approached by a rising star in Hollywood, Johnny Depp. Depp had first arrived in Hollywood a decade earlier after dropping out of High School, dreaming of becoming a rock star. As is typical in such cases, Depp struggled for several years at menial jobs until he got his big break as an actor in the Fox Television series '21 Jump Street.' Overnight, Johnny Depp became a teen idol. The calculating Depp would then move on to serious acting in motion pictures, most notably as the FBI agent who infiltrated the New York Mafia, 'Donnie Brasco,' the strung-out lead character in 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,' and the notorious drug dealer George Jung in 'Blow.' Depp has publicly called for the release of Jung from prison, where Jung is currently serving a lengthy prison sentence for drug trafficking.

When Johnny Depp teamed up with Anthony Fox to form 'The Viper Room,' the timing could not have been more perfect. At that time, New York City nightlife was being catered to by Peter Gatien's LIMELIGHT, an abandoned Church that attracted celebrities and drug dealers. That club's most popular venue was 'King of the Club Kids' Michael Alig's Disco 2000 events, which came to a grinding halt after the heroin-addled Alig murdered and dismembered a Club drug dealer named Angel Melendez. Down South during the 1990s would emerge the Miami Beach equivalent of New York's LIMELIGHT, Chris Paciello's club called LIQUID, which he ran with his and Madonna's mutual friend Ingrid Casares.

On the West Coast, no such club existed in the same league as the LIMELIGHT and LIQUID, but the opening of The Viper Room quickly filled this void. At that time in 1993 Johnny Depp's career was taking off and he would use his celebrity to turn 'The Viper Room' into the hippest and trendiest nightclub on the Sunset Strip. From the beginning, as in its previous incarnations, The Viper Room was a place where drug dealers flourished. To this day the Viper Room's website features as its logo a female snake seated atop a pair of dice, in a posture that seemingly allures her prey to be injected with her poison. On Halloween night, 1993 Johnny Depp's friend River Phoenix took such a 'roll of the dice' and died after injecting drugs into his veins inside the Viper Room. Depp was among the Viper Room employees and patrons that watched as Phoenix lay dying on the sidewalk outside the club. He was 23 years old.

As the 1990s drew to a close Federal authorities took action against those involved in the operations of THE LIMELIGHT and LIQUID nightclubs. LIMELIGHT owner Peter Gatien was charged with drug trafficking but was acquitted in a Federal trial. Gatien later pleaded guilty to income tax evasion and was deported to his native Canada. LIQUID owner Chris Paciello pleaded guilty to several crimes, including his association with members of the American Mafia as well as his role in the murder of a Staten Island woman during a botched robbery. Paciello is currently in the Witness Protection Program and may testify against Mafia associates in upcoming prosecutions.

more in the link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2014 12:19 AM

My sister worked for Paramount and at the Shepperton studios when he was filming Sleepy Hollow. Said he hung out with the crew, having beers, was down to earth and a sweet guy. Although that was many years ago so who knows if time has changed him.

by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2014 12:23 AM

[quote]I can't imagine Depp ever meeting Obama.

Well, he met Reagan at the White House back in the 80s. He talked about it in an old GQ interview:

[quote]“I was talking to Armand Hammer this one time,” Depp will say. Excuse me? Armand Hammer, the late financier, a man unlike Depp in every way? How did this happen? “I was at this thing, there were people there,” Depp says. Which thing would that be? “This thing at the White House when Reagan was there,” he says. Depp went to the Reagan White House? “I had this publicist, he wanted me to, I just had to check it out,” he says. Check what out? He sighs. “It was about the ‘Just Say No’ thing.” Wait a second. Johnny Depp, self-proclaimed taker of every drug known to man, went to a “Just Say No” event? “I know, I know, it’s absurd, but I had to go and check it out. There was Reagan, wearing makeup, practically on machines. And she, Nancy, was a machine. She’s like a thermometer, this mercury ball of a head. It was a huge joke for me, because you could get a scotch on the rocks but you couldn’t get a cup of coffee. Caffeine is a drug, you see. Armand Hammer was at my table, he was actually demanding a cup of coffee, and they wouldn’t give it to him, either.”

by Anonymousreply 52February 5, 2015 1:14 AM

He started getting a bad rep before he split with Paradis. He made a number of very stupid statements in interviews before that, including the one about how being photographed makes him feel he is being 'raped' and one about how he had to stop living in France because the French government wanted his 'bread' , like that has been used as slang for money since 1976. In reality, he was simply legally required to pay residency taxes just like any other French resident if he wanted to live there most of the time, as he did for a period. Johnny objected to paying taxes like the little people. Neither the 'rape' nor the tax comments exactly endeared him to the public.

And things only got worse when he split with Paradis, who his fans seemed to like. The split ruined the whole 'romantic bohemian' image. Once back in Hollywood he turned into a bloated looking middle aged drunk, who takes up with a blonde ingenue young enough to be his daughter. And he's turning up for professional duties shitfaced and slurring. And his films are tanking. And he's getting fat.

by Anonymousreply 53February 5, 2015 1:44 AM

Typical mid-life crisis?

by Anonymousreply 54February 5, 2015 2:14 AM

A friend of mine who knows his ex, Vanessa Paradis, told me the reason they stayed in France was because of things that had happened to him when he was younge and first trying to get started and he didn't want his kids being in that atmosphere because he didn't feel he could protect them, especially if they wanted to get into acting.

by Anonymousreply 55February 5, 2015 2:32 AM

And yet, the protective father who wants to shelter his kids, makes Marilyn Manson his daughter's godfather?

by Anonymousreply 56February 5, 2015 2:36 AM

There is something really strange about Depp besides the fact that he just married someone young enough to be his daughter (and closer in age to his actual daughter). I recently read a book/biography about Hunter S. Thompson and he was a sick son of a bitch. Says a lot about Depp's friendship with him.

by Anonymousreply 57February 5, 2015 2:42 AM

I know people who have worked for him By all reports on one hand he is very personable Also very superstitious Apparently there were booby traps set in his personal living quarters so as to see if anyone disturbed his things Had a group of hangers on that seemed particularly syncophantic

by Anonymousreply 58February 5, 2015 3:00 AM

I'm sure Depp can be very charming and agreeable, that's what has helped keep him in plum roles for the best part of 25 years. But there is an unpleasantness surrounding him. A man whose intimates include Marilyn Manson and Hunter S Thompson is not a sweetness and light type of guy.

Another close pal of Depp's is the sociopathic French oddball François-Marie Banier, a photographer and writer who managed to swindle over a billion (yes, billion) euros out of Liliane Bettencourt, France's richest woman, owner of L'Oreal. Bettencourt was basically seduced by this creep when she had Altzheimers.

Banier took the photographs of Depp on his island for that VF piece in which Depp says being photographed is like 'rape' .

by Anonymousreply 59February 5, 2015 3:44 AM

R58, setting booby traps to ensure no one touches your stuff isn't 'superstitious' it's paranoid and bizarre and probably the result of chronic pot use when he is not working.

by Anonymousreply 60February 5, 2015 3:46 AM

He is scary creepy!

by Anonymousreply 61February 5, 2015 7:05 AM

(60) That came out wrong. I didn't mean to imply that setting traps was an example of his superstitions.

by Anonymousreply 62February 5, 2015 8:17 AM

[quote]A man whose intimates include Marilyn Manson and Hunter S Thompson is not a sweetness and light type of guy.

People keep mentioning Marilyn Manson as evidence for Depp being a bit creepy, but isn't Manson kind of a geek in real life whose stage persona is just an act?

by Anonymousreply 63February 5, 2015 12:03 PM

No, R63. Dita Von Teese said living with Manson was like 'living with Mommie Dearest' . Very unstable and violent, very controlling, wouldn;t allow her any of her own possessions in the house. He purchases Nazi memorabilia, including SS typewriters and he bought one of Eva Braun's handbags at auction for Von Tees when they were a couple. He has major drug and mental health problems. And he considers Johnny Depp 'his closest friend'.

by Anonymousreply 64February 5, 2015 12:16 PM

[quote]he bought one of Eva Braun's handbags at auction for Von Tees when they were a couple.

LOL! What did she think of that?

by Anonymousreply 65February 5, 2015 12:19 PM

She packed her little vintage bags and left, R65, so I guess she would have preferred a nice pin or something.

by Anonymousreply 66February 5, 2015 12:43 PM

Manson admitted to collecting skeletons of children. The guy is a sick creep, I am sure so is Depp who owns a clown painting by John Wayne Gacy.

by Anonymousreply 67February 5, 2015 10:08 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2015 11:40 PM

I liked him in Sweeney Todd, back in the day. I began to like him because he had a so-called normal life with wife and two friends. Dumped everything for a fresh twitch in his little dick.

Didnt know about his dark side with interests in Gacy etc. I guess his wife should be glad she got out. Like my mom always said, all the money in the world don't matter if you feel like a worthless piece of shit inside

by Anonymousreply 69July 27, 2015 12:03 AM

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2018 2:50 AM

And now we all know what a grimey douche he is

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2018 3:34 AM

What's so bad about Hunter S. Thompson? I've never heard anything personally creepy about him. What am I missing?

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2018 3:54 AM

Hunter Thompson fell apart on drugs and committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2018 4:04 AM

R73 that's it. Pfft

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2018 4:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!