Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Blondie Announces Retirement

With her peroxide hair and trademark miniskirts, Debbie Harry will always be the ultimate pin-up for a certain generation of men. But at the age of 68, she is ready to quit legendary pop group Blondie.

After nearly 40 years since they formed, the band are planning a swansong world tour next year before Harry hangs up her microphone for good. Drummer Clem Burke says that discussions about splitting up have been going on for the past year, with Harry, a former Playboy Bunny, concerned about her age.

‘Debbie is 11 years older than the rest of us, so it’s on her mind,’ Burke, 57, said at an exhibition of paintings by the late singer Ian Dury at London’s Royal College of Art.

‘We’ve tried to keep it going for as long as possible, but it’s not just up to me. Nothing is finalised yet, but obviously there’s no Blondie without Debbie Harry.’ The American singer, pictured right in her heyday, showed signs of strain during the band’s most recent UK tour. Last month she caused uproar during a performance in Liverpool when she declared her love for rival city Manchester.

‘It went down so badly that we were forced to play a rendition of The Beatles’ Please Please Me,’ Burke says. ‘Poor Debbie hadn’t joined the dots, so I had to intervene.’

Blondie enjoyed phenomenal success in the late 1970s – topping the charts on both sides of the Atlantic with hits such as Heart Of Glass and Sunday Girl – before splitting for the first time in 1982, when Harry launched a solo career.

The group re-formed in 1996 and reached No 3 in the UK charts with comeback album No Exit. They have been touring on and off ever since. A spokesman for Debbie Harry said: ‘They are in a hiatus at the moment. They will do some tour dates next year. Nothing is confirmed yet.’

by Anonymousreply 4212/22/2014

respectable decision. I hope Debbie still makes the occasional appearance here and there.

by Anonymousreply 107/28/2013

Blondie Can Not be 68 years old necause if she is then that means o m g

by Anonymousreply 207/28/2013

I have tickets to their show in September. Please don't let them quit mid tour! Got stood up twice by Morrissey this past year, and finally get the chance to see Debbie live, and I have to so I can die happy! I seriously will be crushed if they cancel, and X is their opening band, how much more perfect could it be (except having Jimmy Destri back)?

by Anonymousreply 307/28/2013

But the world retired from her years ago.

by Anonymousreply 407/28/2013

I'd love a solid album start to finish before they go, but I've felt that way since 'AutoAmerican'. It's time.

by Anonymousreply 507/28/2013

from what? Dagwood supported her.

(I always thought Dagwood was cute)

by Anonymousreply 607/28/2013

was the guy with the curly hair in Blondie gay?

by Anonymousreply 707/28/2013

[quote]I'd love a solid album start to finish before they go

Yeah, me too.

The thing is, Blondie is 100 percent a singles band. Blondie's albums are terrible.

There's nothing wrong with that. As a singles act, Blondie is right up there at the top. But they've never been able to extend that across an entire record.

by Anonymousreply 807/28/2013

Aren't they supposed to have a new album coming out this fall?

by Anonymousreply 907/28/2013

They should have quit back in the 80s. Their later stuff was horrible, and Harry got so much face work done, she looks frightening. She's starting to turn into Madonna. Good for her to know when to pack it in.

by Anonymousreply 1007/28/2013

The greatest.

by Anonymousreply 1107/28/2013

I don't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 1207/28/2013

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 1307/29/2013

Barring a couple clinkers like Sound-A-Sleep, Eat to the Beat is a pretty strong record, with beautiful production.

by Anonymousreply 1407/29/2013

It's not true. Both Debbie and Chris went on Facebook and Twitter to deny any rumours of retirement.

by Anonymousreply 1507/29/2013

[quote]The thing is, Blondie is 100 percent a singles band. Blondie's albums are terrible. There's nothing wrong with that. As a singles act, Blondie is right up there at the top. But they've never been able to extend that across an entire record.

Speak for yourself. I can play their first three albums without ever wanting to skip a track. Not so much for the next two and I only played the Hunter once, so the quality dipped but it was definitely there at the start.

by Anonymousreply 1607/30/2013

Well they really should have stopped doing the live nostalgia shit a while ago. Her voice is shot to smithereens, I just don't see the point in going to see them. The comeback with "Maria" and "Good Boys" was good, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 1707/30/2013

Debbie looks great. Her face work has been tasteful. Saw her this spring at a lecture at the Library of Performing Arts at Lincoln Center. She has a good sense of humor and doesn't seem to take herself too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1807/30/2013

[quote]The thing is, Blondie is 100 percent a singles band. Blondie's albums are terrible.

That's not true, Parallel Lines is considered a legendary all time great album.

As mentioned, Eat to the Beat isn't far behind.

It's true that as a pop act, despite their punk cred, like Madonna, ABBA etc they're a singles act at the end of the day, but Blondie have their classic album.

by Anonymousreply 1907/30/2013

At least Debbie Harry won't be singing "Heart Of Glass" onstage when she turns seventy years old. Grace Slick did the right thing at the end of the 1980's to put the microphone down for good.

by Anonymousreply 2007/31/2013

[quote]Her voice is shot to smithereens,

Are you deaf? Her voice is better than it ever was. Her years with the Jazz Passengers (and possible vocal training) have given her voice a nice depth.

by Anonymousreply 2107/31/2013

[quote]That's not true, Parallel Lines is considered a legendary all time great album.

Totally agree. It's a fantastic album from start to finish. A New Wave classic.

The first two albums are pretty great too. No really clunkers on either of them. It was only when they started to go all avant garde with Auto American that they became more of a singles band.

by Anonymousreply 2207/31/2013

Debbie's an icon, will always be. Lookin' good for 68 without horrendous surgery, and still someone with a graet heart, and much-loved in her own neighborhood. Long may she wave.

by Anonymousreply 2307/31/2013

*great

by Anonymousreply 2407/31/2013

[quote]Grace Slick did the right thing at the end of the 1980's to put the microphone down for good.

I read an interview Grace Slick did a few years ago where she went on a rant about how pathetic old people look singing songs about sex and drugs when they're senior citizens. Grace said she retired from the music biz at the end of the 80s because she felt ridiculous on a stage singing rock music and she knew it was time to move on to something more age-appropriate. She was really funny about it, too. I totally agree with her.

by Anonymousreply 2507/31/2013

This is what you call better than ever, r21? To expect someone 30 years later to still sound as good is a bit much, but she does sound pretty awful lately. Oh and that last horrible solo album she did was autotune city.

by Anonymousreply 2707/31/2013

r26, the last 3 ABBA albums are great, especially The Visitors. But they aren't seen to have a defining classic, no.

Ray of Light is my fave, but I don't think it's revered in quite the same way as LAP.

by Anonymousreply 2807/31/2013

I also like what Grace Slick said about older women wearing tight clothes and sleeveless outfits. She said look, do the world a favor and cover up. It looks good on younger women but when you get to be a certain age, have some sense. She was talking about heavyset women as well as gym barnacles like Madonna with those gnarled guns of hers.

by Anonymousreply 2907/31/2013

I find the idea that Blondie is a singles band ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3007/31/2013

Debbie can get away with singing her songs at 70 (yes, even "Rapture"). Madonna and Grace Slick... not so much. Then again, look at The Stones.

by Anonymousreply 3107/31/2013

Did Slick continue to put out recorded music after she said that? I think it's a good idea to hang it up live after a certain point but why not keep putting out records, at least.

One of the unique things about Deb was she was well into her 30s when she hit with Blondie and was still a major sex symbol. That just wouldn't happen nowadays. Grace Slick was also known for being relatively old compared to others on the scene, as old as Tina Turner and older than The Beatles or The Stones.

by Anonymousreply 3207/31/2013

Debbie's PS is exemplary.

by Anonymousreply 3307/31/2013

R31 Madonna's only 54, Grace Slick is a whole other generation from her

And how can Madonna not get away with singing her songs at 70? When she was on her 20s and 30s people were saying that she wouldn't be rocking the stage in her 50s, and yet last year she had the #1 tour at the box office grossing $305 million, it's the kind of success that Blondie (I love them, but let's be real) can only dream of.

by Anonymousreply 3407/31/2013

STFU about Madonna. God this place is awful.

by Anonymousreply 3507/31/2013

[quote]And how can Madonna not get away with singing her songs at 70?

Because her songs are/were all very poppy and sex kitteny. Can you imagine a 70 year old Madonna hobbling around the stage in bangly bracelets and a pointy bra singing Like a Virgin?

by Anonymousreply 3607/31/2013

What R2 said.

I remember begging my best friend in college to play "Sunday Girl" over and over till he regretted introducing me to Blondie. Every time I hear that song, I think of him.

O... M... G...

by Anonymousreply 3707/31/2013

Debbie's face work looks natural. It was done by Dr. Sherrell Aston, one of the world's best plastic surgeons and husband of the socialite/Klingon Muffie Potter Aston.

by Anonymousreply 3807/31/2013

R36 she BARELY sings Like a Virgin now, she performed it on her ladt tour as an opera/ballad. There was nothing sex kitteny about it

Not to mention she has tons of ballads and even showtunes in her back catalogue, that would be age appropriate for her to sing

And none of the songs on her Ray of Light, Music or American Life albums are even REMOTELY sex kittenish, they're almost asexual

Not to mention the Evita soundtrack and a lot of her big ballads from the 90s like This Used to be My Playground, I'll Remember, Take a Bow and You'll See.

Madonna would probably have to stop dancing and take voice lessons(like she did in the 90s) to do these songs justice, but they would all be age appropriate if sung by a 70 year old.

by Anonymousreply 3907/31/2013

Did Blondie ever regret taking the last name Bumstead when she married Dagwood?

by Anonymousreply 4007/31/2013

R40 - Those jokes weren't funny in 1978 and they're still not.

by Anonymousreply 4107/31/2013

D B was into drugs. And group sex. Typical rock chick. Naughty girl. In NYC she was nearly murdered by serial killer Ted bundy,so she was a naughty girl as well as a sunday girl. Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 4212/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.