Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Blondie Announces Retirement

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2020 2:49 PM

respectable decision. I hope Debbie still makes the occasional appearance here and there.

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2013 6:52 AM

Blondie Can Not be 68 years old necause if she is then that means o m g

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2013 7:00 AM

I have tickets to their show in September. Please don't let them quit mid tour! Got stood up twice by Morrissey this past year, and finally get the chance to see Debbie live, and I have to so I can die happy! I seriously will be crushed if they cancel, and X is their opening band, how much more perfect could it be (except having Jimmy Destri back)?

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2013 7:04 AM

But the world retired from her years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2013 7:05 AM

I'd love a solid album start to finish before they go, but I've felt that way since 'AutoAmerican'. It's time.

by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2013 7:11 AM

from what? Dagwood supported her.

(I always thought Dagwood was cute)

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2013 7:16 AM

was the guy with the curly hair in Blondie gay?

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2013 7:19 AM

[quote]I'd love a solid album start to finish before they go

Yeah, me too.

The thing is, Blondie is 100 percent a singles band. Blondie's albums are terrible.

There's nothing wrong with that. As a singles act, Blondie is right up there at the top. But they've never been able to extend that across an entire record.

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2013 7:25 AM

Aren't they supposed to have a new album coming out this fall?

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2013 7:33 AM

They should have quit back in the 80s. Their later stuff was horrible, and Harry got so much face work done, she looks frightening. She's starting to turn into Madonna. Good for her to know when to pack it in.

by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2013 8:48 AM

The greatest.

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2013 8:57 AM

I don't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2013 9:29 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2013 10:07 PM

Barring a couple clinkers like Sound-A-Sleep, Eat to the Beat is a pretty strong record, with beautiful production.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2013 10:15 PM

It's not true. Both Debbie and Chris went on Facebook and Twitter to deny any rumours of retirement.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2013 10:29 PM

[quote]The thing is, Blondie is 100 percent a singles band. Blondie's albums are terrible. There's nothing wrong with that. As a singles act, Blondie is right up there at the top. But they've never been able to extend that across an entire record.

Speak for yourself. I can play their first three albums without ever wanting to skip a track. Not so much for the next two and I only played the Hunter once, so the quality dipped but it was definitely there at the start.

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2013 9:31 PM

Well they really should have stopped doing the live nostalgia shit a while ago. Her voice is shot to smithereens, I just don't see the point in going to see them. The comeback with "Maria" and "Good Boys" was good, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2013 9:38 PM

Debbie looks great. Her face work has been tasteful. Saw her this spring at a lecture at the Library of Performing Arts at Lincoln Center. She has a good sense of humor and doesn't seem to take herself too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2013 9:52 PM

[quote]The thing is, Blondie is 100 percent a singles band. Blondie's albums are terrible.

That's not true, Parallel Lines is considered a legendary all time great album.

As mentioned, Eat to the Beat isn't far behind.

It's true that as a pop act, despite their punk cred, like Madonna, ABBA etc they're a singles act at the end of the day, but Blondie have their classic album.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2013 12:38 AM

At least Debbie Harry won't be singing "Heart Of Glass" onstage when she turns seventy years old. Grace Slick did the right thing at the end of the 1980's to put the microphone down for good.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2013 3:25 PM

[quote]Her voice is shot to smithereens,

Are you deaf? Her voice is better than it ever was. Her years with the Jazz Passengers (and possible vocal training) have given her voice a nice depth.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2013 3:31 PM

[quote]That's not true, Parallel Lines is considered a legendary all time great album.

Totally agree. It's a fantastic album from start to finish. A New Wave classic.

The first two albums are pretty great too. No really clunkers on either of them. It was only when they started to go all avant garde with Auto American that they became more of a singles band.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2013 3:33 PM

Debbie's an icon, will always be. Lookin' good for 68 without horrendous surgery, and still someone with a graet heart, and much-loved in her own neighborhood. Long may she wave.

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2013 3:33 PM

*great

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2013 3:35 PM

[quote]Grace Slick did the right thing at the end of the 1980's to put the microphone down for good.

I read an interview Grace Slick did a few years ago where she went on a rant about how pathetic old people look singing songs about sex and drugs when they're senior citizens. Grace said she retired from the music biz at the end of the 80s because she felt ridiculous on a stage singing rock music and she knew it was time to move on to something more age-appropriate. She was really funny about it, too. I totally agree with her.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2013 3:47 PM

R19 as does Madonna with Like a Prayer and Ray of Light

ABBA not so much

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2013 3:58 PM

This is what you call better than ever, r21? To expect someone 30 years later to still sound as good is a bit much, but she does sound pretty awful lately. Oh and that last horrible solo album she did was autotune city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2013 4:18 PM

r26, the last 3 ABBA albums are great, especially The Visitors. But they aren't seen to have a defining classic, no.

Ray of Light is my fave, but I don't think it's revered in quite the same way as LAP.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2013 4:26 PM

I also like what Grace Slick said about older women wearing tight clothes and sleeveless outfits. She said look, do the world a favor and cover up. It looks good on younger women but when you get to be a certain age, have some sense. She was talking about heavyset women as well as gym barnacles like Madonna with those gnarled guns of hers.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2013 4:27 PM

I find the idea that Blondie is a singles band ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2013 4:33 PM

Debbie can get away with singing her songs at 70 (yes, even "Rapture"). Madonna and Grace Slick... not so much. Then again, look at The Stones.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2013 4:40 PM

Did Slick continue to put out recorded music after she said that? I think it's a good idea to hang it up live after a certain point but why not keep putting out records, at least.

One of the unique things about Deb was she was well into her 30s when she hit with Blondie and was still a major sex symbol. That just wouldn't happen nowadays. Grace Slick was also known for being relatively old compared to others on the scene, as old as Tina Turner and older than The Beatles or The Stones.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2013 4:49 PM

Debbie's PS is exemplary.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2013 4:50 PM

R31 Madonna's only 54, Grace Slick is a whole other generation from her

And how can Madonna not get away with singing her songs at 70? When she was on her 20s and 30s people were saying that she wouldn't be rocking the stage in her 50s, and yet last year she had the #1 tour at the box office grossing $305 million, it's the kind of success that Blondie (I love them, but let's be real) can only dream of.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2013 5:35 PM

STFU about Madonna. God this place is awful.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2013 5:54 PM

[quote]And how can Madonna not get away with singing her songs at 70?

Because her songs are/were all very poppy and sex kitteny. Can you imagine a 70 year old Madonna hobbling around the stage in bangly bracelets and a pointy bra singing Like a Virgin?

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2013 6:09 PM

What R2 said.

I remember begging my best friend in college to play "Sunday Girl" over and over till he regretted introducing me to Blondie. Every time I hear that song, I think of him.

O... M... G...

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2013 6:17 PM

Debbie's face work looks natural. It was done by Dr. Sherrell Aston, one of the world's best plastic surgeons and husband of the socialite/Klingon Muffie Potter Aston.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2013 6:30 PM

R36 she BARELY sings Like a Virgin now, she performed it on her ladt tour as an opera/ballad. There was nothing sex kitteny about it

Not to mention she has tons of ballads and even showtunes in her back catalogue, that would be age appropriate for her to sing

And none of the songs on her Ray of Light, Music or American Life albums are even REMOTELY sex kittenish, they're almost asexual

Not to mention the Evita soundtrack and a lot of her big ballads from the 90s like This Used to be My Playground, I'll Remember, Take a Bow and You'll See.

Madonna would probably have to stop dancing and take voice lessons(like she did in the 90s) to do these songs justice, but they would all be age appropriate if sung by a 70 year old.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2013 6:38 PM

Did Blondie ever regret taking the last name Bumstead when she married Dagwood?

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2013 6:42 PM

R40 - Those jokes weren't funny in 1978 and they're still not.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2013 6:43 PM

D B was into drugs. And group sex. Typical rock chick. Naughty girl. In NYC she was nearly murdered by serial killer Ted bundy,so she was a naughty girl as well as a sunday girl. Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2014 1:17 AM

No female artist today rocks like Debbie Harry did. No one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2020 1:16 AM

They’ll all always be together in one another’s hearts, and most probably come together again and reunite someday. I just know it!

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2020 1:22 AM

Stop bumping old threads, dear.

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2020 1:23 AM

Blondie released an album just a few years ago. It’s on an independent label and not on Spotify. However there still going at it.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2020 1:44 AM

R2 Blondie is a band, not a person.

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2020 2:35 AM

[quote]The thing is, Blondie is 100 percent a singles band. Blondie's albums are terrible.

No one buys or cares about whole record albums anymore. It's not 1980. In case you haven't noticed, people buy or rent per song for the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2020 5:25 AM

"Parallel Lines" is terrible? What a load of nonsense you type.

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2020 5:32 AM

Debbie's 75 and still going. I saw Blondie live in concert in Mexico City just three years ago. Phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2020 5:36 AM

I don't have a problem with bumping old threads. It can be fun continue a dormant conversation, but this is a weird one to bump, R43. Anyway, Debbie seems to be going strong well into her 70s. I guess that gives M some hope

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2020 5:39 AM

I didn’t know she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2020 6:05 AM

R48 I couldnt disagree with you more. The reason I don’t go to their live shows is because they play the singles only. T-Birds is a gorgeous song. My favorite songs of theirs aren’t singles: T-Birds, Angel on a Balconey, Danceway, Dig Up the Conjo, Pretty Baby, No Imagination, Kidnapper, 11:59, Dragonfly, The Background Melody, Prism...

Unlike many bands, Blondie had three strong songwriters: Stein/Harry and Jimmy Destri. The Destri songs are always really good.

by Anonymousreply 53August 26, 2020 11:58 AM

You don't like "Shayla"? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2020 2:29 PM

They also had Gary Valentine early on ("Presence, Dear").

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2020 2:29 PM

I’m going to bump 10 old threads today in honor of R45.

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2020 2:43 PM

DIE 2013 TROLL.

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2020 2:48 PM

[Quote] I’m going to bump 10 old threads today in honor of [R45].

Make interesting choices, sow.

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2020 2:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!