Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can people tell if you've been on their Facebook page a lot?

I've been sort of Facebook-stalking someone, and I'm on his page several times a day. There's not a way that he can tell that I've been on there a lot, is there?

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2018 2:55 PM

OP, they receive a streaming video feed of you masturbating to their pics.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2013 4:27 AM

OP describes the absolute tiptop best reason never to be on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2013 4:30 AM

Yes, you get added to his "people you may know" list.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2013 4:31 AM

But I'm already on his friend's list, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2013 4:33 AM

No

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2013 4:36 AM

R3, are you serious?

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2013 4:37 AM

[quote]But I'm already on his friend's list

So you're on the list of one of his friends?

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2013 4:39 AM

Nope, I'm on his friends list. But I'm still on his page a lot.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2013 4:41 AM

I noticed most of the people who show up on my main page friends list are the ones whose pages I look at most often and who are also likely to check my page. If the people shown on my main page were random there would be more variety but that's not the case.

Based on that very unscientific observation I'd say the people who are shown on your main page are people who either look at your page most often or vice versa.

I plan to look at an acquaintence's page every day for the next few weeks and see if she shows up on my list or if I show up on hers.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2013 4:44 AM

The answer to OP's question is NO.

How many times do people have to be told this?

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2013 4:44 AM

No but it IS the case with LinkedIn or one of those other networking sites, you can "see who's eyeing your profile" or whatever. Mortifying especially if you're keeping track of an enemy or business rival.

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2013 4:50 AM

Which sites in particular, R11? And can they only tell when you are logged into the site?

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2013 4:51 AM

R11, that's what fake profiles are for. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2013 4:52 AM

Yeah, I will accept your "Duh" for a lesson learned the hard way. I HATE those sites where they say "You May Know DICK" and Dick was a real dick in real life, out to kill you. But there's his name presented like an old buddy, dropped in your mailbox so you can start you day off right. Might not be LInkedIn but what was the other one? I got off of it immediately when that happened. Shit Disturber sites.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2013 4:57 AM

R13 and R11 - if you want to be check out someone and remain anonymous, simply code your profile as "anonymous".

If you choose the generic description, when you click on the list of names, it will show up as "Someone In The Banking Industry" - there is always one name of somebody you know - that is who is checking out your profile.

Being unemployed I check LinkedIn on a daily basis to see if my resumes have been viewed. Therefore it always pisses me off to see one guy from my former job who had his hands in my being downsized constantly checking out my profile. Now he wants to "gather some of the gang and meet for lunch." I said "Sure!" but you can bet I will cancel on the day off the lunch meeting.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2013 5:03 AM

Yeah, I was wondering why some people with only, like, seven mutual friends always show up at the top of my "People You May Know" list, while people with many more mutual friends are all the way at the bottom. That means they've been creeping on your profile a lot?

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2013 5:14 AM

Gurl, you're in danger!

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2013 5:22 AM

I should have stated the options I listed are exclusive to LinkedIn.Com.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2013 5:26 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2013 10:45 AM

R9 here. The last few times I've logged onto FB I made sure to visit an acquaintence's page that I never visit. She's also very unlikely to visit my page. Now she's shown in my friends box on my main page. Based on that I think the the friends who are shown in that box are the people with the pages you visit most often or at least most recently.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2013 6:28 AM

R20 wins.

Also, it's people with whom you interact on FB the most who show up on your page. Likes and comments and so on.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2013 1:09 PM

[quote]I think the the friends who are shown in that box are the people with the pages you visit most often or at least most recently.

The people in that box on my page are not from pages I've visited recently. Maybe they are there because they visit my page? There are nine people in the box. I have not visited any of their pages in many months. OTOH, they have hit "Like" on recent pictures of my art so that's probably why they're in that box. Those pictures of my art could show up on their FB home page without them coming directly to my specific page. The items showing up when I log into the FB home page are all related to art done by FB "friends" - so that's why I get a lot out of FB.

I use FB for my art and have more than 600 artist friends, mostly in Europe. Unlike people who post every time they poop (the types that are discussed at DL), I don't share much personal info.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2013 2:44 PM

The tech for this seems easy and has to exist. Tons of bots suggest that it is out there. FB seems to resist, which is fine I guess.

by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2013 3:04 PM

If you're not a member of LinkedIn, can someone tell if you look at their profile?

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2013 4:02 PM

If Amazon can tell me the last 20 things I looked at at the bottom of any page I happen to be looking at, Facebook could tell you who is looking at you. FB chooses not to.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2013 5:36 PM

What if they x you off their people may know list so they won't show on your suggestions anymore but will I still show on their list if I look at their profile?

by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2015 12:56 AM

I don't think so. There is a method that is available on youtube. It's too long to explain here how...

However, I followed the method which claims to see who checks your profile page most often and I followed the method but found out the supposed 2nd person who viewed my profile the most is some business that I just became friends with 2 days ago. So I don't think that method on youtube is valid.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2015 1:01 AM

knowing who is creeping would destroy facebook - there would be an exodus. better not to know.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2015 1:08 AM

Op if you care enough to ask a question like that it's time to get off the computer.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2015 1:10 AM

I don't remember joining LinkedIn but they sent me a message wondering why I haven't used it.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2015 1:13 AM

Facebook lets you sort people into groups - Close Friends and Acquaintances, for instance.

LinkedIn is creepy in how it manages to suggest people I knew during a summer job 15 years ago who I haven't talked to since.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2015 1:14 AM

Guys on Manhunt can tell if you've viewed their profile unless you turn off the tracking function.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2015 1:25 AM

I always go under my 'fake' Facebook account when I'm stalking someone. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that that really works because I still end up seeing some of the people I stalk being recommended to me under my legit account, and that kinda creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2015 1:25 AM

What r28 said

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2015 1:28 AM

They used to have a function that told you who had checked you but in order to avail of it you had to open yourself to be check and noted yourself. I think this was discontinued. I still feel nervous about the people that I checked when I first joined fb even though I used a fake name.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2015 1:29 AM

Why should it matter? So you are in love or infatuated by someone. If they knew they should be flattered. As long as you are not threatening them with harm, don't worry. Just man up and tell them if you ever meet them or see them. I have been stalking someone for years. Yes I am in love with him and in another time or place, we would make perfect lovers (in my fantasy anyway). Everyone does it- no biggie.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2015 2:27 AM

Reviving this thread because I do believe that there is some kind of app that alerts people to you checking their page. There are 4 people whose pages I've looked at sporadically, one of them, an ex-boyfriend. All 4 of these people set their profiles to either private or friends only after I looked at their pages a few times. I don't think it's a coincidence, and I don't think it's the PYMK because I've cleared my searches after checking them. This is bothersome.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2016 4:27 AM

What app is that R37

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2016 5:56 AM

R38 That's what I'd like to know.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2016 7:20 AM

yes

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2016 7:46 AM

No. They don't know who looks at their page.

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2016 9:03 AM

Any app that can tell you that a particular person has been stalking your Facebook profile requires both parties to have the app installed in order to work, so that pretty much renders such apps useless.

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2016 9:21 AM

I absolutely believe the "People you may know" list indicates who's been looking at your page. There are people there I know but are not Facebook friends with and we have no friends in common. There's also people there I haven't been in contact with for YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2016 9:37 AM

The People You May Know list are people you've looked at. It's based on your browsing, not on someone else's notification.

If I look at the pages of Joe Schmoe, Pat Jones and Bud Smith, Facebook notes it and sends me People You May Know email with their names. The people I looked at don't know I looked at them. Only Facebook does.

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2016 12:45 PM

A crazy person I know (whom I may or may not have slept with) is not a FaceBook friend. I have only gone on to his FaceBook page once about 2 years ago. He is still the #1 person on my "People you may know" list.

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2016 12:56 PM

[quote]The People You May Know list are people you've looked at. It's based on your browsing, not on someone else's notification.

I disagree. There are people on my list who's pages I've never been to and are certainly not based on my browsing. So unless you're Zuckerberg or those twin douchebags, you probably shouldn't post with so much authority.

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2016 1:31 PM

I was looking at a few profiles, while at work when I was bored. about once a week, on and off, for a year.. All of them set their profiles to some form of private the past month. I guess I showed up on their PYMK list quite often, which angers me because this could be Facebook's sneaky way of outing the innocuously curious.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2016 11:22 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2018 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!