Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What made Marilyn Monroe so successful?

Since I don't really have that much passion for female actresses/ singers, I really can't judge if she's good or not but she must have been because how much of a legend she is. So...for those Monroe fans, what makes her so successful?

by Anonymousreply 179August 23, 2018 6:01 AM

Among many other things, her vulnerability; you were concerned about her characters because you felt they were in need of someone to watch over her, protect her, that they were always in jeopardy of being taken advantage of; but she was smart enough to never overplay that aspect of what she naturally brought to these women, she balanced that with pluck, zest, her naiveté in tender balance with her drive, her characters' needs; and she was a natural comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2013 5:07 PM

She was a druggy, tragic mess, who also had charisma and talent onscreen (and it didn't hurt her legend that she died young, before the looks started to unravel).

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2013 5:08 PM

I agree with everything R1 wrote.

MM was a great comedienne; a beautiful, funny woman is a rare combination.

Also, MM may easily be the most photographed actress ever. There are tens of thousands of photographs of her. She loved being in front of the camera, and I think there were very few days when she wasn't.

The thing is, she may easily be the most photogenic actress that ever was. It's hard to find a bad photo of MM even when she was photographed in casual situations. She photographed well from ANY angle. Think about how rare that is. Photographers and cinematographers loved her.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2013 5:23 PM

She played the woman that men wish existed, the one who lived solely to get attention from men, and to fulfill their fantasies. That's why straight men can be so irrational about her.

She was lovely and had major screen presence, and some genuine talent. But mainly, she's so famous because of her appeal to men.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2013 10:29 PM

2 things.

Men wanted to fuck her.

Women wanted to be her.

In those days you didn't have the tabloids destroying screen images.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2013 10:32 PM

Marilyn worked incredibly hard at being successful. There were others who were more beautiful and talented but didn't work as hard. When her scripts were auctioned they showed that she made notes for almost every line, what gestures to make, when to make them, etc. She took classes in acting, voice, singing, dancing. One of her last make-up artists said that MM was always looking for someone who could teach her, to improve her. People often speak of the magical way she moved (even Margot Fonteyn who knew something about movement) and MM studied books on the body and muscle structure to develop a sense of how the body works. (She had a copy of "The Thinking Body" which is still available on Amazon. Not an easy read!) What made her especially successful is her instinctive understanding of what made a good still photograph or how she was coming across on film. What was frustrating for the people she worked with was the delays she caused when she realised that whatever she was doing on film wasn't working for her. The numerous retakes happened until she felt that she had it right.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2013 2:20 AM

What? It was a huge publicity campaign. She was marketed to death.

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2013 2:24 AM

Thanks for that informative post, R6.

The only flat-out ignorant comment so far has been R7.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2013 2:45 AM

Was Marilyn the top female icon of the 20th century?

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2013 2:49 AM

SEX

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2013 3:59 AM

Talent, beauty, charm, vulnerability, right place at right time

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2013 4:50 AM

She was also non-threatening to the other women in her pictures, which was kind of unusual for a sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2013 4:57 AM

r12: she often had a sort of camaraderie thing going on with her female co-stars instead of competitiveness or hostility, esp. in "How to marry a millionaire" and "Gentlemen prefer blondes".

by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2013 5:06 AM

Even I'd have fucked her.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2013 5:27 AM

She was incredibly beautiful in Niagara. Look at the scene with her in a pink dress at 16:20 to 18:45. Her face is so expressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2014 2:29 AM

She's only a "legend" because she died relatively young. Had she lived, this would be her today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2014 2:35 AM

Tits

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2014 4:22 AM

Blowing jfk

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2014 4:32 AM

She fucked her way to the top and fucked for roles.

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2014 4:36 AM

That would hardly make her special, R19.

IF that were true, I'd have a career like Clark Gable's.

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2014 4:56 AM

I think several people have already answered why she was successful in life, but I can answer why she's still remembered and has become practically mythical in death:

- She died young and under mysterious circumstances; amateur sleuths and documentarians alike continue to dig for answers, which brings her name up in the news every few years

- Her liaisons with the equally iconic Kennedys and whether they may have been responsible for her death, directly or indirectly

- she was married to a man who is a baseball god (Joe DiMaggio) and to another who is revered as a playwright (Arthur Miller) and whose works continue to be studied in high school and performed locally and on Broadway; so whenever they are studied, she is sure to be mentioned; that keeps her name alive

- She has several legendary photographs/images/scenes (i.e. skirt blowing up, "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" routine, "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" rendition, Andy Warhol's diptych) that have been copied/imitated ad naueam.

- Her timeless beauty; she could step out into the world today and not look out of place

- She resonates with people across the board: gay icon; straight men still find her desirable (at least when they see photos of her); and girls/women still aspire to be her

In fact, unlike most sex symbols, Marilyn has a lot of female fans; perhaps the majority of her fans are female, which is somewhat strange because women generally resent another woman's sexiness. But Marilyn, as R12 pointed out, had a non-threatening sex appeal. She was like a child-woman who was both innocent and full of sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2014 5:11 AM

Of all the inane threads…..

Are these posters 13 years old? Did they steal the $18 from their mommies' purses?

by Anonymousreply 22April 27, 2014 5:13 AM

She wasn't talented, c'mon Monroe stans. She was definitely pretty, but she needed plastic surgery to take her looks to the next level. I hate what her image did to modern beauty, as even to this day SO many women and men think only blondes are the most beautiful in the world. She had lovely red hair and went platinum? wtf!

I think Monroe's appeal was obviously highly sexual, and the idea that "you weren't supposed to like her" because she wasn't talented. It's one of those so-bad-it's-good things.

The modern musical equivalent is Shitney Spears. She can't sing for shit, has no personality and has had a nose job etc to improve her looks and people like her IN SPITE OF her music.

by Anonymousreply 23April 27, 2014 5:15 AM

Marilyn was magic. It wasn't just the beauty. I totally disagree with post 23 who seems to be talking out his ass. Unlike Spears, Marilyn WAS talented. MM was a huge star who worked her ass off. Real work. She was not a lip-sync bobble head . The idea that "you weren't supposed to like her" because she wasn't talented. It's one of those so-bad-its-good things....Is total bullshit. The concept of hipster " Ironic " does not apply . Try again. Norma Jean created Marilyn Monroe because of a deep need to be loved...by everyone. She basically seduced the world. Seeing how we are still discussing her 52 years after her death...I'd say she succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 24April 27, 2014 5:36 AM

R24 no you're just a delusional fan. So many other actresses thought she was a joke and it wasn't just jealousy. They were jealous at the attention she got, but they weren't jealous of her acting ability. There's no way Monroe would be as famous as she is now if it weren't for her highly memorable appearance. Her appearance and image made her iconic and it's why so many women have copied her all these years later.

There's no way you can call her talented in comparison to some of the great actresses of her time. Get real.

by Anonymousreply 25April 27, 2014 5:41 AM

R24 is one of those totally deluded Monhoe fans who genuinely believe she was Meryl Streep. Don't bother trying to reason with them R25, even though it's clear for all to see that she was one of the worst actresses to ever appear onscreen, that type see what they want to see. You're right. She was to acting what Britney is to singing.

by Anonymousreply 26April 27, 2014 6:29 AM

I think if Marilyn had been given more opportunities to do drama, she would've excelled. She was very convincing in her early work. For instance, CLASH BY NIGHT (co-starring Barbara Stanwyck), which was released a year before she hit stardom in the famed blonde bombshell roles she could never escape -- NIAGARA, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. All from 1953. That was her breakthrough year.

Anyway, in CLASH BY NIGHT, she seems very natural. She has a supporting role as a tough fish cannery worker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 27, 2014 6:43 AM

She played a convincing drunk in the same movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 27, 2014 6:44 AM

I find this topic interesting. Only recently I mused about why Monhoe (along with Liz Taylor and Judy Garland) attracted such... intense, deluded ...fans.

Let's establish a few basics:

Her fans today are women and gay men. Only on DL would anyone believe modern straight men cared about an actress from sixty years ago.

She got her FOX contract on the casting couch.

She couldn't act.

She was plain. Her alleged beauty wasn't unlike today's PEOPLE's Most Beautiful - where the sole requisite for beauty is peroxide and a desire to be thought of as such.

Her fans today try as paint her as a "tortured, innocent soul, with great intellect". She wasn't.

I think that phony baby voice has something to do with it. Seeing a bleach blonde caricature of what society considers attractive with a little girl voice. It's creepy, and a BIG part of it.

Someone on another thread remarked on how all his fucked-up female acquaintances worship Monhoe.

R7 is right. A lot of it was how she was marketed to death.

She died too soon to become Mamie Von Doren and be reduced to guest appearances on MURDER, SHE WROTE.

I think it might fit into Diva-Worship as A Form A Self area. But, it goes back to the blonde hair, little girl voice and her modern (untrue) image as a tortured soul.

by Anonymousreply 29April 27, 2014 6:44 AM

Well!

You two marys really told US off.

Let that be a lesson to... Well, the rest of the civilized world, who knows the real thing when they see it.

by Anonymousreply 30April 27, 2014 6:46 AM

I can't say how smart she was and I don't know much about actual talent but Marilyn just had a special star quality that pulls you in. I remember the first time I ever saw one of her movies. I was around 7 and it was on TV. I had no idea who she was but I stopped what I was doing and just watched. I've been a fan ever since.

by Anonymousreply 31April 27, 2014 6:53 AM

Dying is easing, comedy's hard. Giving a bad actress - like Munhoe - serious, "I'm a serious ACTAH!" roles doesn't turn her into a good actress. A good actress tries her best with lacklustre material and can really sparkle with great material.

Monhoe couldn't act. It had nothing to do with the studio. It was her. She couldn't do comedy (which is often more difficult and less rewarding) She couldn't do drama. Every performance was an unbelievable, actor-y, breathless coo. And, even still, FOX did give her a couple of good comedies!

[quote]She played a convincing drunk in the same movie.

Didn't she practice hard for that?

by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2014 6:55 AM

[quote]I was around 7 and it was on TV. I had no idea who she was but I stopped what I was doing and just watched. I've been a fan ever since.

Your young, undeveloped mind was attracted to her bright yellow hair.

She acted in a broad, cartoonish manner that you understood. Whereas, to a seven year old, the finer subtleties of say... Meryl Streep in THE FRENCH'S LIEUTENANTS WOMAN would've been lost on you.

by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2014 7:00 AM

I think R26, R29, R32, R33 is the Streep Troll.

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2014 7:08 AM

What planet is [r32] on that Monroe was in anything *but* lacklustre material? With the exception of Some Like It Hot she was put in turkey after turkey, and the only reason those movies are still in print today is because of her.

Whether she was a talented actress or not, she had an undeniable magnetism on screen. And she received a fair bit of praise in her day (i.e. before she could die) for her comedic acting especially, but also for "Bus Stop" and "Niagara". It's not like all of this attached after her death.

by Anonymousreply 35April 27, 2014 7:09 AM

Also look at pin-up photos from the era, and other starlets of her generation. To reduce it to her look is ridiculous, when every bikini model and their mother had peroxide hair and red lips.

by Anonymousreply 36April 27, 2014 7:10 AM

r23 I wish I could like your post a million times.

It wasn't just Monroe ruining women though I think that happened for a long time, I mean Lana Turner was "discovered at Rexall's drugs", which is some sort of bs, I hope.

I like Lana well enough but MM's image is ubiquitous and everywhere and I'm so fucking SICK of it. And she was so plastic looking. Ugh!

And Shitney tries her damndest to look like her complete with the nosejob and whatever else.

She's like the goddess to fucked up white girls who get PS, and bleach their hair to straw and now get "implants".

by Anonymousreply 37April 27, 2014 8:52 AM

[quote]What planet is [[R32]] on that Monroe was in anything *but* lacklustre material? With the exception of Some Like It Hot she was put in turkey after turkey, and the only reason those movies are still in print today is because of her.

I can't comment without bias. Link to Rotten Tomatoes. Aside from SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE MISFITS and GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES are held in high regard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 27, 2014 2:48 PM

On another thread a deluded Monhoe fanboi said Monhoe stole ALL ABOUT EVE from Bette Davis!

Her fans are truly unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2014 2:50 PM

Re CLASH BY NIGHT, the dude her played MM's lover in that movie was hot! Keith Andes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2014 3:07 PM

I swear the Shitney stans are the grandgaybies of the MonHo stans. So much delusion.

by Anonymousreply 41April 27, 2014 3:10 PM

Post 26 is the rabid anti Monroe fan. Every time Monroe's name is mentioned it crawls from beneath its rock and pisses all over Monroe's name. Its hard to take anything serious from this pathetic creature. Post 29 attempts to come across as the last word. ..And fails miserably. Post 32 negates all conversation with the use of the childish " Monhoe". What are you 12 years old ? Truly embarrassing. I cannot even comprehend this statement..." I like Lana well enough but MM's image is ubiquitous and everywhere and I'm so fucking SICK of it. And she was so plastic looking. Ugh!"....Oh Honey does it really bother you that much ? Monroe was plastic looking ? It's 2014 you think MONROE looked plastic ? You are obviously having a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2014 3:34 AM

[quote]I like Lana well enough but MM's image is ubiquitous and everywhere and I'm so fucking SICK of it.

Thank you, Captain Redundant!

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2014 3:54 AM

Marilyn versus Cleopatra

Cleo: "You'll sleep with any ugly dude who says he likes it hot, even Joe DiMaggio took a swing in your batter's box. I'm a descendant of the gods, don't anger me trick, you'll lose this match like your bout with barbiturates."

Marilyn: "You wear too much eyeliner for anyone to adore you, you might as well be working the door at Sephora. I got an ass that won't quit, you got an asp and got bit..on the tit. Somebody wrap this bitch back up in a carpet."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2014 4:06 AM

It's the story of "Marilyn" that is so fascinating. A bastard child born to a schizophrenic film cutter mother and equally crazy grandmother who tried to smother her, shunted off to an orphanage, then to 15 some-odd foster homes where she was sexually abused, married at 16 because no one else wanted her anymore. Worked as a riveter during WWII. Screwed her way into a contract. First major name to pose nude, first cover of Playboy. Quick with a quip. Pills and liquor to mask onsetting mental illness. Marries and divorces huge sports star, marries and divorces huge playwright tried before the HUAC. Beds Brando, Sinatra, Yves Montand, various Mafioso, and dozens of others. Drives Billy Wilder, George Cukor, John Huston nuts on the set. Has dozens of abortions and miscarries those the wants. Beds the President of the US and possibly his brother the Attorney General. Poses nude one last time, then exits at 36 in a still debated death.

That's the stuff of a legend, acting talent aside.

by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2014 4:12 AM

R44, I think Marilyn won that. Her putdowns were better and she got her good at the end: "Translate this into Hieroglyphs / Your sandy vagina has a seven year itch / My best friends are diamonds / You can't beat me -- quit trippin' / Step off and walk your ass home like an Egyptian!" Also the bit about Cleo sleeping with her own brothers. haha

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2014 4:19 AM

r45 wins

by Anonymousreply 47April 28, 2014 4:30 AM

R45, do you think if Elizabeth Taylor had died in 1961, she would be as iconic as Marilyn?

- She was only 28 at the time and still at the peak of her beauty

- By that point, she'd been nominated for the Oscar 4 times in a row finally winning for BUTTERFIELD 8 (though it's speculated it was probably because she was near-death)

- she'd been married 4 times in 10-years; her 3rd and arguably most beloved husband died in a plane crash; married his best friend whom she stole from America's Sweetheart and caused a scandal

- However, Liz enjoyed a privileged childhood and had both parents and was very close with her mother; she was born in London to well-to-do American expatriates with connections; her parents cavorted with British royalty, then Hollywood royalty when they returned to America after WWII broke out; that's how Liz got started as a child actress

Unlike Marilyn, Liz had an easy start in life and had mommy and daddy to open doors for her. Marilyn had no family and had to work in a factory to make ends meet, and then pounded the pavements and utilized the casting couch when she was an aspiring actress. I think what makes Marilyn's overall story is that she literally came from nothing and then became Hollywood's biggest movie star and icon.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2014 4:37 AM

If Elizabeth Taylor would have died in 1962 I really do not thing she would have the icon status as Monroe. She would have been remembered as the wife of Mike Todd and a pretty actress known for her violet eyes. By 1961 Marilyn had made a huge impression on the World psyche. Even in Cold war Russia it was said..." When we think of America we think of Baseball, Apple pie and Marilyn Monroe". Marilyn was able to capture world attention over and over again in remarkable ways,. The first Playboy cover,"The Talk Of Hollywood" Life Cover. The long walk filmed from behind in Niagara, The Iconic 7 year itch pose, appearing in one of the best comedies ever made, Some Like It Hot.. Happy Birthday Mr President and the final nude swim scene. All amazing career accomplishments for a poor girl from nowhere. When you realize that MM's career only spans a short 10 years you begin to realize what a huge undertaking MM actualize. To the Monroe haters { I suspect it's the same rabid queen over and over } I am very suspicious of anyone who displays such bitter unnecessary vitriol regaurding a character as essentially endearing as Marilyn Monroe. You sound unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2014 5:58 AM

I will offer to compliment to Monhoe:

She wasn't as big a whore / didn't use the casting couch as much Shirley Jones.

by Anonymousreply 50April 28, 2014 7:08 AM

One thing that made her such a legend was her early death, which was shocking and sad.

I thought she was a wonderful comedienne and beautiful. The camera loved her, and she had great charisma.

If she had lived, I'm not sure how much of a legend she'd be today. Her work would have been appreciated, certainly, but at a certain point she would have burnt out. She was practically burnt out as it was. She had a lot of problems that interfered with her work.

by Anonymousreply 51April 28, 2014 7:15 AM

[quote]When you realize that MM's career only spans a short 10 years you begin to realize what a huge undertaking MM actualize.

Good point. Though Marilyn began as an extra in 1947 and eventually got bit parts in THE ASPHALT JUNGLE and ALL ABOUT EVE (both 1950), she didn't really become a star until 1953 when NIAGARA, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, and HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE were all released and were big hits. After that, she was always in the public consciousness, and in less then ten years she was gone.

by Anonymousreply 52April 28, 2014 7:50 AM

Part of what made Marilyn so successful was her likeability. Almost everyone liked/loved her because of her warm personality and smile and her embodying the American dream of the poor girl making good.(admittedly, there were those such as the religious right or the puritans who automatically disliked her because she was a hot blonde) Despite the artificiality of her image when you watch newsreels and see how she behaves with people what you see is her making and holding eye contact, with a big, warm smile and a sense of fun and enjoyment. Of course, dying early has contributed to the legend but it's not the only factor. Princess Diana, another glamourous blonde also died at 36 but she has not become the myth or icon that MM has and partly this is because she was not as likeable. (Remember the vindictive stories she leaked to the press). Elizabeth Taylor, had she died at 36 would not have reached the legendary status of MM either because the public sensed quite accurately that Taylor did not need them or care about them as long as there was another gourmet meal, piece of jewellery or cock coming her way.

by Anonymousreply 53April 28, 2014 7:50 AM

Who would've guessed that this movie extra would become Hollywood's greatest movie star and enduring icon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 28, 2014 7:55 AM

Britney Spears is the modern Marilyn. They have an ineffable quality which makes them universally fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2014 9:15 AM

[quote]Princess Diana, another glamourous blonde also died at 36 but she has not become the myth or icon that MM has and partly this is because she was not as likeable.

That's crap. Diana is just as iconic.

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2014 9:19 AM

r53 wrong. Liz was gorgeous in 68 & she was an all natural beauty. You can't say the same for MM. Plastic plastic.

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2014 11:09 AM

Britney Spears actually looks a lot like Monroe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 28, 2014 11:13 AM

r58 I have always thought that. She even got a nosejob like MM's and worships her, but it goes along with "every fucked up girl worships MM" theme. She's one of the fucked up girls/women out there.

by Anonymousreply 59April 28, 2014 11:17 AM

“Marilyn played the best game with the worst hand of anybody I know.” ~Edward Wagenknecht, author

That sums it all up. I love Marilyn, went to 5th Helena Drive and her crypt which is stained red from lipstick kisses. I wonder if anyone kisses Liz's headstone.

by Anonymousreply 60April 28, 2014 8:58 PM

Did she really work hard? I thought she was tardy to the set all the time.

by Anonymousreply 61April 28, 2014 9:07 PM

Interesting. Warhol did a Liz but I can't think of any iconic photos of her.

by Anonymousreply 62April 28, 2014 9:24 PM

R56, Diana's star has diminished. No doubt she was a superstar in her lifetime. I was just born when she became engaged to Charles (c. 1980) and was thrust into the spotlight, so I grew up with her. I remember as a kid/teen, her face/name constantly being plastered on the U.S. tabloids and entertainment news programs. When I turned 15, I got a subscription to People magazine for my birthday and I remember a couple letters to the editor of people (mainly women) complaining about Diana fatigue. Then when she died, she suddenly became a saint. Her funeral and the outpouring of grief was huge, the likes of which people of my generation had never seen. Televised and mourned worldwide.

I really thought she was going to join the pantheon of mythical celebrities like Elvis and Marilyn, but in the 17 years since her death she's pretty much forgotten. Granted, she still has her fans, but I mean by the world at large. I don't see new Diana books in bookstores or her mug on a T-shirt or her name brought up in the rags, unless it has to do with Kate and William, but they're pretty low-key so the opportunity doesn't present itself very often.

Immediately, upon her death and a few years afterward, Diana memorabilia was hot stuff! Prince Diana Beanie Baby Teddy Bear, anyone? But it seems that by the time Charles and Camilla wed in early 2005, the world had moved on. Remember, when Diana died Camilla had been vilified in the press and by Diana admirers for being the other woman. But just 8 years later, Camilla was accepted.

Diana is never one of the Top Ten moneymaking celebrities. I don't think she's even on the Top 20. The only celebrity passing in my lifetime that has joined the ranks of Marilyn and Elvis, IMO, is Michael Jackson. Like them, he has iconic poses, looks, and images, not to mention impersonators and his music is constantly being played on the radio. He's a fairly recent death, but even 5 years after her death, Diana's popularity had waned, as her death and all the hullabaloo started to become a distant memory. Meanwhile, MJ's myth is still growing.

by Anonymousreply 63April 28, 2014 10:11 PM

Delusional MonHo stans, get over it-she wasn't talented. She was a very pretty woman [bold][italic]WITH[/italic][/bold] surgical enhancements and played up a sexual vibe. Let's not pretend she was talented though.

If she hadn't have died young there's no way she would be as legendary now as she is.

and yes Shitney Spears is the modern Monho. MonHo was definitely better looking but both lack talent, are/were on pills, and have/had psychological issues.

by Anonymousreply 64April 28, 2014 10:15 PM

R62, this photograph taken on the set of GIANT -- with Dean in a Christ-like pose and Liz as his Mary Magdalene -- was intended to be iconic and mass produced, but I've never seen it anywhere except in Dean bios, which is how I first spotted it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 28, 2014 10:18 PM

She fucked her way to the top just like Jennifer Lawrence etc

by Anonymousreply 66April 28, 2014 10:21 PM

Some things that made her a success:

She was gorgeous.

She slept with the right people: Johnny Hyde and Joseph Schenck really got her career started. They were both ugly older men who wielded a lot of influence in Hollywood.

She photographed brilliantly. Louise Brooks and Greta Garbo possessed the same gift.

She seemed innocent and sexual at the same time, which was an unusual combination. She also had a vulnerability that was unique for a sex symbol. She seemed rather scatter-brained and dim. All that made her very appealing, that "little girl lost" quality.

Her background and personal life were dismal. People took her to their hearts. How could they not? There she was: beautiful, a famous, well-paid movie star, desired by all men...and she was desperately unhappy and unfulfilled and insecure and addicted to pill and unable to sleep, a right mess. I think that's what made her a legend, this woman who had everything and yet could find no happiness anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 67April 28, 2014 10:31 PM

She died before she got old. That's it.

Had she aged like her peers, she wouldn't be better remembered than Ava Gardner or Heddy Lamarr (who was lovelier AND gave us blue tooth.)

by Anonymousreply 68April 28, 2014 10:32 PM

R68, if Marilyn had not died young and in mysterious circumstances -- the conspiracy theories involving government cover-up or even a mafia hit helps to keep her legend alive -- I think she would still be better remembered than either Eva or Hedy. She still had the iconic photos and movie scenes, not to mention a couple classic movies. What classic movies do Ava and Hedy have?

by Anonymousreply 69April 28, 2014 10:55 PM

It is written she threw a pillow down on the floor to comfort her knees while she sucked the cocks of executives in her early days in Hollywood and the reason she couldn't bear children was because she had, like so many other famous actresses, back alley abortions that screwed up her fallopian tubes. She was a cocksucker. She sucked a lot of men's cocks while she was a model and escort. Imagine cum all over her face. She sucked cocks and let men fuck her cunt hard, getting her pregnant many times, but the abortionists killed her babies for her. These memories tortured her later in life, knowing in her boozy druggy state that she was IN FACT an EVIL WHORE. She actually was a whore because she sucked the cocks that hired her for modeling jobs and bit parts in movies and got paid for it. She used her pussy and her mouth to climb to stardom. And this repulsed her, made her crazy in the head, made her THINK in her later years of all the horrible, vulgar things she did when she escorted, being taken out to the pier at night, or parked at Lover's Lane, or going to hotels to service the fat cat 1% cocks of sicko Hollywood. Yes, cocksucking and doing lewd and disgusting immoral things catches up with you. Oh yes

by Anonymousreply 70April 28, 2014 11:03 PM

[quote]So many other actresses thought she was a joke and it wasn't just jealousy.

In every interview of other actresses talking about Marilyn they have always been like big sisters. They were very fond of her and thought she was really sweet. They were not jealous at all.

by Anonymousreply 71April 28, 2014 11:05 PM

I'm a big fan of MM, but I don't care about her private life, scandals, etc. (although her mixed-up childhood is part of the mystique). It's her look and persona (which she helped to create). The movie roles singing, acting, dancing (how many actresses sang for reals back then?). The way she moved, the behind-the-scenes struggles for her to get it right on camera. You're really rooting for her, and she usually delivers.

She was incredidly vulnerable on camera, so people didn't feel threatened.

To a much lesser extent, when Suzanne Somers started "doing Marilyn" on "Three's Company" (after being boring the first two seasons)- the show skyrocketed in the ratings. Just aping Marilyn was enough to make her character likable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 28, 2014 11:38 PM

I think R70 went a bit overboard with the description but I've wondered if that's part of the reason why so many actresses get fucked up on drugs. I don't care how "liberated" a woman is, unless she's truly detached from her body, I doubt the sexual-favors-for-roles experiences wouldn't get to them.

by Anonymousreply 73April 29, 2014 12:24 AM

R73, Biographers and psychologists who've written about her have questioned whether at least some of Norma Jeane's later behavior (i.e. hypersexuality, sleep disturbances, substance abuse, disturbed interpersonal relationships), was a manifestation of the effects of childhood sexual abuse in the context of her already problematic relationships with her psychiatrically ill mother and subsequent caregivers.

Marilyn’s demeanor, voice, and many other characteristics emulated a sexualized little girl. Her screen persona was childlike and innocent, but she gained attention and affection through a sexual persona. This is the epitome of many sexualized and sexually abused children –gaining attention and affection from their abuser and applying that behavior to obtain favors, attention from others, and some form of ‘love.’ This pattern often follows them into adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 74April 29, 2014 12:32 AM

"What made Marilyn Monroe so successful?"

She was infamous for that grate blow job she gave.

by Anonymousreply 75April 29, 2014 12:39 AM

She was a witch and cast a spell on the public. Don't you know Hollywood is full of witches?

by Anonymousreply 76April 29, 2014 12:42 AM

R32, it doesn't take a grammar troll to realize that phrases like "And, even still," establish you as a know-nothing.

by Anonymousreply 77April 29, 2014 12:51 AM

The camera loved her. She was charismatic, beautiful and funny. She didn't need to wear fancy clothes or be stereotypically glamorous to be attractive and yet she wasn't the girl next door. Some people went for the sex. Others responded to the vulnerability.

Compare her to her obvious "knock-offs" like Jayne Mansfield (bigger tits, less charisma and a more narrow acting range) or Mamie Van Doren (a joke), or blondes that were somewhat in her mold like Connie Stevens (cute enough but not much more).

by Anonymousreply 78April 29, 2014 1:49 AM

Reply 70...on behalf of all of us ...SHUT THE FU#K UP. You festering maggot filled diseased gash. Snarling over the fact that a woman..a stranger, dead for 52 years gets recognition for a remarkable life. Crazed by the realization that Marilyn is still loves over a half a century after her death, yet you ...{Reply 70} will be forgotten one week after your demise. Your rabid posts CLEARLY are an indication of a unwell mind. ...and your probably really really ....really fat.

by Anonymousreply 79April 29, 2014 4:41 AM

r79 that person may be really fat but the only people worshipping Dead Marilyn Monroe are Really Old. Ancient Gays and seriously fucked up batshit women. The plastic surgery alone messes up her legacy imho.

by Anonymousreply 80April 29, 2014 5:07 AM

R80, lots of young girls idolize Marilyn Monroe, especially when they're introduced to her in song by pop stars such as Nicki Minaj and recently Pharrell (both have recent songs titled "Marilyn Monroe"). Also, on Facebook lots of teen/twentysomethings post photos of Marilyn and quotes by her.

Furthermore, the whole plastic surgery thing is not entirely accurate. People make it sound like she had an overhaul, that she was a homely girl that the Hollywood machine completely made over into this gorgeous creature. I suppose that legend gives people hope that they too can make it.

But Norma Jeane was already a beautiful girl albeit in a more wholesome way. Yes, she did have minor procedures (e.g. bump removed from tip of nose, chin implant for softer line, some electrolysis on her hairline, her teeth fixed), but nothing too drastic. What made the biggest difference was the bleached hair and different makeup and wardrobe. To use two GILLIGAN'S ISLAND examples, she went from a Mary Anne to a Ginger. Both beautiful women, but whereas Mary Ann was winsome, Ginger was sultry.

People forget that Norma Jeane was a successful pin-up model before she started in movies and made herself into Marilyn Monroe. Look at this photo of 13-year-old Norma Jeane. The classic Monroe gaze (half-closed eyes, sensuous mouth) is very evident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 29, 2014 5:26 AM

Reply 80....Oh Pleasssseeeeee. Your habit of using over wrought blanket statements is tedious. "The plastic surgery alone messes up her legacy imho.". Yes, I see how well her legacy has been messed up"... Its everywhere. You know just because you say something does not mean its true...you do understand that don't you ? It's more then obvious Your really reaching now...but not as far as that nice five pound Nachos covered in extra processed cheese and fried ground beef that sits on your bed stand.. Reach just a little bit further...Piggy Piggy Piggy piggy..

by Anonymousreply 83April 29, 2014 5:45 AM

Who knew the MonHo stans were so delusional, crazy and loyal? Face it, she was a pretty girl who needed plastic surgery to become gorgeous (which means her hollywood beauty was MANUFACTURED). She used sex to get jobs and then gain fans. It's downright creepy how she talked like a young girl while posing in a sexy manner.

She had 0 talent.

by Anonymousreply 84April 29, 2014 6:38 AM

F&F R81

by Anonymousreply 85April 29, 2014 6:39 AM

R84, why do you care if she has loyal fans or had minor plastic surgery or is still remembered and has a fan base 50+ years after her death?

Why do you feel the need to call her and her fans names? What good does it do you? If there's a thread about some celebrity I don't care for, I'm not gonna go into that thread and disparage the subject and his/her fans.

You don't have to like MM, but I just don't see the point of going into a thread and spewing vitriol. Why not use your energy for something positive? Or at least get your point across constructively.

by Anonymousreply 86April 29, 2014 6:52 AM

[quote]it doesn't take a grammar troll to realize that phrases like "And, even still," establish you as a know-nothing.

There's nothing grammatically wrong with "And, even still,". But there is something wrong with your "as a know-nothing".

But that person's wrong anyway.

Marilyn was a tortured soul. People relate to her vulnerability and innocence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2014 6:00 PM

now us gays worship this drug addicted adulteress like she is a goddess. can't make a silk purse out of a whore's ear

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2014 6:02 PM

"Adulteress"?

Oh, Mares.

Go back to the kaffeklatsch and leave us alone.

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2014 6:42 PM

I think I read a quote from her along the lines of: "When I started out in acting, I don't think I was more 'talented' (as such), but wanted the job more than the competition."

by Anonymousreply 90May 15, 2014 6:54 PM

Whenever I read something like R70 I realize that there really are mentally ill people posting on DL. (shudder)

by Anonymousreply 91May 15, 2014 7:20 PM

MM was successful because every guy wanted to fuck her(even gays ones). She was so hot the prudish Marys/hausfraus had to admit she was sexy. She had this sex appeal that was beyond unique.Sadly what passes for that type of appeal are slutbags like Kim Kardashian and Rihannna and Ms Hohan.Yes I know MM said that onnce she made it in Hollywood she didn't have to blow producers anymore! At least she was honest about it....

by Anonymousreply 92May 15, 2014 7:34 PM

Here we are talking about her, decades after her death.

She drove director Billy Wilder crazy with her tardiness, and not being prepared for the camera. But when it was all over, he loved her performances. He actually was quoted as saying, Monroe is "greater than Garbo!".

She admitted that she had to blow the powers-that-were. Some of them were "camera busters". Well, guess what, some of today's esteemed actresses are whispered about for having done/doing the same.

by Anonymousreply 93May 15, 2014 7:37 PM

As we approach a Mini Ice Age, we will find those attractive who most exemplify Neanderthal traits.

Marilyn Monroe was Neanderthal personified-- light skin, light eyes, blonde hair, and an hour-glass body. Her coo-ing method of speaking would mimic the shortened vocal chords of the Neanderthal.

We area all part Neanderthal--! to 5%-- and it is this genetic memory that clings to us, stoking our fires to bring back that linage of those Ice Age Survivors--The Neanderthals.

by Anonymousreply 94May 15, 2014 7:49 PM

I think r94 makes the most sense.

by Anonymousreply 95May 15, 2014 7:55 PM

R92 get real. Marilyn Monroe was a slutbag herself. Her beauty, much like WhoreTrashian's was enhanced by plastic surgery and that can't be disputed. If social media had been around during her day, you can bet your ass that MonHO would have used it non-stop as she, like all the rest, was an attention whore of the highest order.

MonHo had no talent besides having sex with men in positions of power.

by Anonymousreply 96May 15, 2014 9:27 PM

If she was all the things you say she was, she would be long forgotten, R96.

We know that no one will remember you 50 years after your passing. Frankly, I wish you weren't even here right now. Such nasty vitriol... yuck.

by Anonymousreply 97May 15, 2014 9:33 PM

There has always been a worldwide cult of her fans who know "the backstory" and admire how she delivers onscreen against all odds. It's like watching a parapalegic put a basketball into the hoop.

It's part of the fun. As is her excellent comedic timing and physicality.

How anyone as disturbed as she was could accomplish what she did in Hollywood is eternally amazing.

by Anonymousreply 98May 15, 2014 9:42 PM

i hope r96 gets the AIDS

by Anonymousreply 99May 15, 2014 9:51 PM

lmao the MonHo stans are just as pathetic as the ones for Vadge and Shitney Spears. The 3 of them are talentless and you're all pathetic for worshiping them.

I never sought to be a celeb "and to be remembered by the masses". That's for a narcissist. It's insane how you prop up this medicated, plastic SLUT on a pedestal like she's some amazing human being. She was a damaged, empty narcissist who thought fame and fortune would solve her problems, like all the rest.

end of/

by Anonymousreply 100May 15, 2014 10:06 PM

There are some truly damaged "people" haunting this thread.

And I include assholes like R99, even though he probably thinks he's a defender of MM.

by Anonymousreply 101May 15, 2014 10:15 PM

Look just read r94. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 102May 15, 2014 10:16 PM

Some people with aspergers syndrome think marilyn suffered from this as well. Its a communication disorder which makes it difficult to understand other peoples minds(and your own.) Its called 'theory of mind'. Other people's thoughts, intentions, and emotions are often baffling to you, so you end up making very poor decisions when dealing with the human race. R (94) mentioned neanderathals, this is one of the theories of aspergers, that sufferers have a high amount of their dna (and essentially have inherited a very different kind of brain), so dealing with homo sapiens is like communicating with a different species, more or less. This might be one of the reasons she was so fucked up her whole life.

by Anonymousreply 103May 15, 2014 11:36 PM

R-32s grammar might be right but his soul isn't. marilyn wasn't the whore you evil gays want her to be.

by Anonymousreply 104May 16, 2014 7:04 AM

Interesting to hear that people (fans??) at the time knew her backstory. I always assumed that the studios kept a tight lid on the stories.

by Anonymousreply 105May 16, 2014 7:32 AM

R96 No one says she was a saint including myself! I made the blow job quote fr a reason. However you are a clueless cunt.She was nowehere as plastic surgeried out like these current crop of botoxed infested whordes(sic) that exist today. You need to stop trolling and get real yourself.

by Anonymousreply 106May 16, 2014 6:37 PM

"Some people with aspergers syndrome think marilyn suffered from this as well."

Well, that's pretty stupid. Marilyn Monroe exhibited absolutely NONE of the symptoms of someone with Asperger's syndrome. In all likelihood she had borderline personality disorder, which is a condition where someone straddles the line between being simply neurotic or psychotic, frequently going back and forth between the two. She was obviously very mentally ill (mental illness ran in her family) but it wasn't Asperger's.

by Anonymousreply 107May 16, 2014 9:37 PM

Thread closed at R29.

That sums it up.

by Anonymousreply 108August 24, 2014 1:24 PM

Marilyn, Princess Diana and Britney Spears are the three great blonde icons.

by Anonymousreply 109August 24, 2014 1:31 PM

I adored Marilyn. She was the ultimate movie star.

by Anonymousreply 110August 24, 2014 1:49 PM

[quote]Interesting to hear that people (fans??) at the time knew her backstory. I always assumed that the studios kept a tight lid on the stories.

Yes, people at the time were aware of her fostered upbringing. When she started out, she claimed that she was an orphan -- that her father was absent (true) and that her mother died (false) -- because she was ashamed that her mother was schizophrenic and institutionalized. Eventually, the press dug out the truth and she had to backtrack. Then the truth about her childhood came out, too. It's why the 1950s public embraced her despite her sexed up image. She really was a girl from nothing who wanted everything and made good. It's also why she was forgiven for the nude photos that ended up in the first issue of PLayboy. She posed because she was literally starving at the time.

by Anonymousreply 111August 24, 2014 2:50 PM

"She came to us in all of her mother's doubts and leaves in mystery." ~ Norman Mailer on Marilyn

by Anonymousreply 112August 24, 2014 2:53 PM

[quote]These memories tortured her later in life, knowing in her boozy druggy state that she was IN FACT an EVIL WHORE.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 113August 24, 2014 2:56 PM

[quote]"Monroe's personal and intimate ability to inhabit our fantasies has gone right on. As I write this, she is still better known than most living movie stars, most world leaders, and most television personalities. The surprise is that she rarely has been taken seriously to ask why that is so." ~ Gloria Steinem

by Anonymousreply 114August 24, 2014 2:59 PM

"Marilyn, Princess Diana and Britney Spears are the three great blonde icons."

Princess Di and Brit-Brit are no one's idea of "iconic." Grace Kelly was iconic. Jean Harlow was iconic. But those two twits? Hah!

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2014 3:04 PM

Her 1949 nude calendar, hanging in every gas station across America, thanks to Tom Kelley and a nose job.

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2014 3:07 PM

Grace Kelly was never iconic. Nobody remembers a movie she was in or a song she sang or a Prince she married. Everybody knows Diana and Britney.

by Anonymousreply 117August 24, 2014 3:29 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't call Kelly an icon. Not even a gay icon. She's too boring albeit was breathtakingly beautiful. But she wasn't a larger than life personality, which is essential to becoming an icon. She was a WASP, born wealthy, went to the right schools, temporarily became a movie star and won an Oscar, retired and married an obscure prince, seemed to have lived a luxurious but unfulfilled life, and died.

That Grace Kelly movie with Nicole Kidman was stating in their ads that she was "the most iconic princess of the 20th century," when in reality it was Diana. For one, Diana not only married into Europe's and the world's most famous dynasties, but she married the heir to the throne and mothered another heir. Not to mention that she became fashionable and a fashion icon in her lifetime. She was literally a superstar. But her stardom has faded in the 17 years since her death, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 118August 24, 2014 3:39 PM

Liz Taylor was just a dramatic actress, but Marilyn was a gifted comedienne and could sing and dance too. Even if you never saw her in a movie, listen to a cd of her songs, lovely wistful voice. If she focused on the singing she would have given Peggy Lee or Julie London a run for their money.

The film Theres No Business Like Showbusiness is dull apart from Marilyn's three musical numbers, and she practically glows on screen, but then 1953 and 1954 were her zenith years. She is quite lovely too in The Prince and the Showgirl, but when she and Olivier are on screen together its her you look at.

Lets Make Love in 1960 is another dull one, enlivened by her looks and numbers, she was looking terrific again then, and you only have to look at the fragments of Somethings Gotta Give to see how she could have developed in the '60s, whereas The Misfits shows how fragile and emotional she could be, and again she looked wonderful in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 119August 24, 2014 3:40 PM

Britney Spears is our last link to the type of fame experienced by Diana and Marilyn. It's not that these people are necessarily talented, but they personify a quality that touches the heart of millions and also enrages cynics.

by Anonymousreply 120August 24, 2014 3:46 PM

The character Amanda in Let's Make Love is basically what Marilyn's Holly Golightly would have been. Love that movie, although I find the French actor utterly repellent.

by Anonymousreply 121August 24, 2014 3:47 PM

Whatever happened to Grace of Monaco r118,? it came, went and sank like a stone here in the UK, I dont think it even played a week. I shouldnt think there will even be any demand for it on dvd.

All those people who get off on trashing Marilyn only have to look at all those books on her, year after year, how we still talk about her and watch her films. She was a very clever woman - and worked with the best: twice each with Huston, Hawks, Wilder, Cukor, and with Negulesco, Preminger, Olivier, while captivating intellectuals, poets (Edith Sitwell) and those leading men ...

by Anonymousreply 122August 24, 2014 3:47 PM

Grace Kelly was NOT a WASP, she was Catholic. They ain't WASPS.

by Anonymousreply 123August 24, 2014 4:00 PM

I used to think Monroe was vastly overrated and mythologized to the point of absurdity. I recently watched " The Misfits" on TCM, however, and she gives a nuanced, captivating performance. She truly did have talent.

by Anonymousreply 124August 24, 2014 4:07 PM

R123, she still had a WASPy look and quality.

by Anonymousreply 125August 24, 2014 4:17 PM

At a school talent contest, I once did a dead on impression of Marilyn's Misfits monologue - "You, a sensitive fellow! Crying to me about the bombs you dropped and the people you killed!", complete with the voice and blonde wig, and someone at the end had the audacity to ask me what actress I was pretending to be! Obviously, I must have been shit.

by Anonymousreply 126August 24, 2014 4:17 PM

I wonder where the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn stand in terms of iconic status when compared to MM.

by Anonymousreply 127April 11, 2015 1:43 AM

r127 I think, 20 years from now, Julia Roberts trumps them all.

Julia Roberts followed by Liz Taylor followed by Marilyn will be the icons of this 21 and 22nd centuries for sure

by Anonymousreply 128April 11, 2015 1:49 AM

Julia Roberts! I needed a good laugh.

Nobody tops Marilyn Monroe and no one ever will. She was a formula that could never be mixed again.

by Anonymousreply 129April 11, 2015 1:52 AM

R128, I don't think so. I know tons of people who still talk about Marilyn Monroe today. Julia Roberts? Not as much, but those who do talk about her, do it mostly for Pretty Woman. Marilyn Monroe is still influencing tons of women out there, especially those who are celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 130April 11, 2015 1:53 AM

She had a lot of appeal and a great story but her idolatry is owed a lot to nostalgia and circumstance.

by Anonymousreply 131April 11, 2015 1:57 AM

Well, Julia Roberts certainly trumps them all in terms of teeth size. If Julia, Elizabeth Taylor, and Marilyn were sent to the side of a wooded pond and asked to build a dam, Julia would win hands down.

by Anonymousreply 132April 11, 2015 2:02 AM

r129 r130

But where do Liz Taylor, Audrey and others stand if you have to rank them all now and 40 years from now.

Now

Monroe Liz Taylor Audrey Hepburn Katharine Hepbrun Bette Davis Garbo Judy Garland

40 years from now

Monroe=Liz Taylor Audrey Hepburn=Madonna Katharine Hepburn Meryl Streep or Julia Roberts Garbo

by Anonymousreply 133April 11, 2015 2:06 AM

Oh she sure would, r132. The BITCH always wins!

by Anonymousreply 134April 11, 2015 2:09 AM

Dying young made her a legend.

by Anonymousreply 135April 11, 2015 2:11 AM

She had it all therefore destroyed by it all. Could anyone survive being motherfucking Marilyn Monroe?

by Anonymousreply 136April 11, 2015 2:35 AM

She had a natural charisma. If you look at photos of her as a child, she had an innocence and spark that she never lost as she grew up. She was the underdog and her life was a Cinderella story. Orphan girl who became the world's most famous movie star.

It is important to note that she made an effort to become a better actress even after a number of hit films instead of allowing Hollywood to typecast her. She could have taken the easy route and stayed doing the same role over and over to make the studios money.

by Anonymousreply 137April 11, 2015 2:56 AM

[quote]I wonder where the likes of Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn stand in terms of iconic status when compared to MM.

In 2011, Marilyn's white halter-top dress from THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH sold at auction for $4.6, shattering her previous record when in 1999 her "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" gown fetched $1.25 million, at the time a record for an article of clothing. At the same 2011 auction, the red-sequined showgirl gown and a feathered hat Monroe wore in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES sold for $1.47 million.

By contrast, at the same 2011 auction, the velvet brown racing silks and riding pants worn by a young Elizabeth Taylor in NATIONAL VELVET sold for $73,800.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 11, 2015 3:38 AM

At a 2006 auction, Audrey's "little black dress" from BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S sold for roughly $920,909. It didn't even crack a million. I was surprised because that Givenchy dress is very iconic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139April 11, 2015 3:40 AM

There was something poetic about her, dreamy and far off. And she didn't seem fake (even with the fake surface) or bitchy, while a scientifically-proven 84% of actresses then and now project only fakeness and/or bitchiness.

by Anonymousreply 140April 11, 2015 3:43 AM

[quote]It is important to note that she made an effort to become a better actress even after a number of hit films instead of allowing Hollywood to typecast her. She could have taken the easy route and stayed doing the same role over and over to make the studios money.

Yeah, look at Jayne Mansfield. Here's a quote from her:

[quote]“Well, what with the Actors Studio and stuff Marilyn goes in for, and her acting with Laurence Olivier and all that, I want to strike out on the common trail, I want to be the ordinary man’s conception of what a sexy, obliging, comradely, down to earth girlfriend ought to be.”

TRANSLATION: Marilyn is artistic, intellectual, dedicated, well-read, liberal, worldly, and refined, a serious actress with substance, while I would rather strive for mediocrity and be considered a "hot" brainless fembot to the woefully ignorant common neanderthal. Take that!

Another quote:

[quote]"The real stars are not actors or actresses. They’re personalities. The quality of making everyone stop in their tracks is what I work at.”

Thus, unlike Marilyn, she didn't give a fig about perfecting her acting craft or to be taken seriously as an actress; all she cared about was fame, fortune, and publicity. It's hard to like someone who was so superficial and shallow.

by Anonymousreply 141April 11, 2015 3:45 AM

R140 right on. Unlike many sex symbols, Marilyn appeals to women, too. She also got along swimmingly with her female co-stars (Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall, Jane Russell, etc.). It was her male-costars and producers/directors who had a problem with her. When Marilyn rebelled against the mediocre roles/scripts she kept being given and the way she was treated, she became a marked woman.

Here, Dame Sybil Thorndike (played by Judi Dench in MY WEEK WITH MARILYN) defends Marilyn against accusations of being difficult onset. I like how she makes a roundabout dig at Olivier:

[quote]I never found any difficulties with her. I don't know if anybody has. I think they must be difficult themselves if they have

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 11, 2015 3:54 AM

Thanks r137 r139.

Elizabeth Taylor doesn't have any iconic dress. That must explain the price and also they were many of her items that were being auctioned.

And Audrey's dress was sold in 2006, 5 years before Marilyn's. It would have fetched easily more than 1 million in the last 2-3 years.

And are the prices of auctioned items the tell-all of iconic status ? Michael Jackson's auction fetched much less than Monroe's (Thriller Jacket close to 1.8 million) .Does that mean he is less iconic than her ?

Straight women primarily idolize Audrey while gay men and a section of Straight men and women idolize Liz Taylor while Monroe is more popular among straight middle or old aged men who are basically the rich and powerful in the world compared to the other two actresses' fandom.

For example there have been many polls(targeted at women) where Audrey came on top as the most iconic beauty or beautiful face ever etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 11, 2015 3:57 AM

Cartoon Marilyn set to debut in China:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 11, 2015 3:58 AM

I agree and I think MM was nothing more than a fame-whore.

I remember when I was only 14 yrs old, she sang Happy Birthday to President JFK in a real sexy voice, while the First Lady sat there cringing.

It was distasteful and disgraceful, especially for those times, the early 1960's. As young as I was I knew it was immoral.

I felt bad when I heard she died but never liked her after that scene aired on public TV for anyone who had a TV to see.

by Anonymousreply 145April 11, 2015 4:00 AM

[quote]I remember when I was only 14 yrs old, she sang Happy Birthday to President JFK in a real sexy voice, while the First Lady sat there cringing.

Jackie was not present at the event, even though it was a celebration of her husband's 45th birthday. She chose not to attend when she learned that Marilyn would be there.

I mean, look at this marquee:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 11, 2015 4:07 AM

She must have taken a lot of old man dick up the ass

by Anonymousreply 147April 11, 2015 4:12 AM

[quote]And Audrey's dress was sold in 2006, 5 years before Marilyn's. It would have fetched easily more than 1 million in the last 2-3 years.

But just 7 years before, in 1999, Marilyn's "Mr. President" gown sold for $1.24 million! So how do you explain that?

by Anonymousreply 148April 11, 2015 4:13 AM

The real pity is that she she didn't make more movies that were within her range.

She's not very interesting when she's trying to be sensitive, but when she's playing dumb-smart she's sensational.

The remaining bits of "Something's Got to Give" look awful. She's not interesting at all in some of the scenes--I assume she's drugged to the gills or in some private hell.

by Anonymousreply 149April 11, 2015 4:14 AM

She did take a lot of old man dick up the ass, but the fatal up the ass was a warm water-enema filled with barbituates.

by Anonymousreply 150April 11, 2015 4:17 AM

[quote]And are the prices of auctioned items the tell-all of iconic status ? Michael Jackson's auction fetched much less than Monroe's (Thriller Jacket close to 1.8 million) .Does that mean he is less iconic than her ?

I don't think MJ has reached the ranks of Marilyn (or Elvis) in terms of longevity. I mean, Marilyn's been dead for 53 years (this year) and she's still one of the top ten dead celebrity earners and books continue to be written about her and her image appears on shirts, mugs, magnets, posters, etc. She also now has a clothing line at Macy's, Marilyn Monroe Spas, a makeup line from MAC Cosmetics, and this year Max factor announced that it will forego a living celebrity and instead will use Marilyn as their ambassador in ads.

MJ's only been dead for 6 years, so his memory is still very fresh. That's why he's currently the #1 dead celebrity earner. But will it be the same in 50 years? Or will the world have moved on?

by Anonymousreply 151April 11, 2015 4:18 AM

r148 I wasn't comparing to Marilyn's to Audrey's. I was replying to your claim that Audrey's dress couldn't even fetch over a million dollars.

As for why Marilyn's dress fetched that high, I already gave one of the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 152April 11, 2015 4:19 AM

R149 what you're sensing is probably disinterest. She didn't want to make that movie but was being forced to by the studio, namely because CLEOPATRA was going overtime and over-budget and hemorrhaging money. They closed down a lot of productions but kept this one. They were hoping that an MM rom-com would bring in much-needed cash. As it turns out, after Marilyn's death, the film was recast with Doris Day and James Garner and retitled MOVE OVER, DARLING and was a huge hit for Fox in 1963. But it would take until THE SOUND OF MUSIC two years later to save the studio.

by Anonymousreply 153April 11, 2015 4:24 AM

r151.We know that Michael Jackson is more famous and popular than Marilyn Monroe, at least in the last decade and despite that MJ's auction fetched much less than MM's. Just like MJ, Elizabeth Taylor was alive until 4 years ago. So you can't really use the money fetched by their auctions as the sole measure.

And Audrey's image is as iconic as MM, if you ask me. Her face is all over the beauty clinics across the worlds and a cgi version of her was recently used to sell Galaxy chocolates.

And again, I am not saying either Audrey or Liz Taylor is more iconic than MM.

by Anonymousreply 154April 11, 2015 4:28 AM

[quote]And Audrey's image is as iconic as MM, if you ask me. Her face is all over the beauty clinics across the worlds and a cgi version of her was recently used to sell Galaxy chocolates.

Then why doesn't she crack the top ten dead celebrity earners? Last year's list of the top 10:

1) Michael Jackson ($140 million), 2) Elvis Presley ($55 million), 3) Charles Schultz ($40 million), 4) Elizabeth Taylor ($25 million), 5) Bob Marley ($20 million), 6) Marilyn Monroe ($17 million), 7) John Lennon ($12 million), 8) Albert Einstein ($11 million), 9) (four ties)Dr. Seuss ($9 million), Bruce Lee ($9 million), Steve McQueen ($9 million), Bettie Page ($9 million), 10) James Dean ($7 million)

Marilyn's standing fluctuates. For example, three years ago (around the time of MY WEEK WITH MARILYN, that SMASH TV show, MAC's new MM line, Macy's new MM line, and the 50th anniversary of her death) she was #3, but she's also consistently in the top ten. I gather Elizabeth made the list and ranked higher than Marilyn because she just had a big auction of all her things.

My question: If Audrey's estate is freely licensing her name/image, then why can't she even crack the top ten?

by Anonymousreply 155April 11, 2015 4:51 AM

I see Bettie Page and Dr. Seuss made that list. Are you saying that they are more iconic than Marlon Brando, Princess Diana, Humphrey Bogart, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn ? Please tell me.

by Anonymousreply 156April 11, 2015 5:01 AM

R156 Dr. Seuss' characters and pen-name definitely. I was surprised about Bettie Page, too, but I do see her image on magnets and such. More so than Brando, Diana, or Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 157April 11, 2015 5:07 AM

And r155 Elizabeth taylor's auction happened in 2011 and 2012 which fetched more than 200 million and she topped the list then above Michael Jackson and Elvis.

She made the 2014 list solely on the basis of her brand name and perfumes sale. If you are picking up articles from Forbes at least read what they wrote.

by Anonymousreply 158April 11, 2015 5:08 AM

[quote]She made the 2014 list solely on the basis of her brand name and perfumes sale.

And the fact that she just died. It'll be interesting to see how she fares 10 years down the line, never mind 53.

by Anonymousreply 159April 11, 2015 5:12 AM

Lol, you really think Bettie Page is more iconic than Brando or Diana ? Do you ?This is the limit. Stop kidding please. 95% of the world didn't even hear her name and even in America Betty White is more popular and famous than Bettie Page.

by Anonymousreply 160April 11, 2015 5:14 AM

You can't objectively measure iconic status just by using their earnings even if they died recently. And who know what happens in the future ? Elizabeth Taylor name will remain popular as long there are gays and as long as HIV exists. She may even become more popular as the first major celebrity to endorse AIDS research.

by Anonymousreply 161April 11, 2015 5:19 AM

R160 did I say she was more iconic? I just included the Forbes list where she ties with three others for 9th place of the top ten dead celebrity moneymakers. I also said I was initially surprised to see her name there, but then I remembered that her image is still widely used. Nowhere did I state that she was more iconic than both Hepburns, Bogart, Brando, or Diana.

by Anonymousreply 162April 11, 2015 5:19 AM

r162 You have been constantly bringing up the earnings of dead celebrities to prove who is more iconic. If we were to go by their earnings then Bettie has to be more iconic than Diana.

But anyway, I am not saying or arguing against your claim that MM is more iconic than say , Audrey . I just wanted to know where others stand.

by Anonymousreply 163April 11, 2015 5:29 AM

R163 I only brought up earnings as one aspect of determining iconic status.

by Anonymousreply 164April 11, 2015 5:35 AM

Yes r164 and that is what I have been contending against. Earnings are one of the many measures to determine iconic status but not the only one or main one.

by Anonymousreply 165April 11, 2015 5:48 AM

She was a fucked up mess and sexy at the same time. Lots of people are attracted to that. Some guy just texted me how in love with me he was. I asked why, he said because I was so messed up with my flaws and addictions, it was beautiful. What an asshole. But yeah, it's apparently a thing.

by Anonymousreply 166April 11, 2015 6:06 AM

lol r166

by Anonymousreply 167April 11, 2015 6:10 AM

boobies!

by Anonymousreply 168April 11, 2015 6:32 AM

The Brittny Spears comments are meant to be funny, right?

by Anonymousreply 169April 11, 2015 1:41 PM

She was a sex goddess.

by Anonymousreply 170April 11, 2015 1:45 PM

She was built up by the studio - mega build up.

She was appealing, if not a very good actress

She died young and forever kept her beauty

by Anonymousreply 171April 11, 2015 1:56 PM

Baby talk and big boobs.

by Anonymousreply 172April 11, 2015 2:08 PM

Extraordinary vulnerability, great beauty and not being like anyone else made Monroe very special.

by Anonymousreply 173April 11, 2015 2:13 PM

It wasn't just men who loved Marilyn. Women liked her too. For some reason, she didn't set off resentment or jealousy. She was sincerely sweet at heart. That was real about her - nothing put on.

by Anonymousreply 174April 11, 2015 2:40 PM

She had the 'it factor'. You could toss her on screen with more talented actors but she commanded attention. When you understand that Marilyn Monroe was a character that she played you can understand why she remains an icon to many today. She wasn't the greatest actress on screen but she excelled as Marilyn and in roles that perpetuated this image. She was in character all the time off screen in photos, interviews and appearances. She was committed to delivering the Marilyn character to her fans. It probably helped her to hide and deal with her tragic upbringing.

She will forever be associated with the nostalgia people have for the fashion, historical events and classic films from that period of time. She has quite a few pictures which hold up well today (such as Some Like it Hot, How to Marry a Millionaire).

As with any celeb, some people love her and others don't. Regardless, she remains an icon.

by Anonymousreply 175April 11, 2015 2:51 PM

She was purest defination of a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 176April 11, 2015 3:10 PM

Just another Hollywood cumdumpster, the difference? Marilyn was chosen to be elevated.

by Anonymousreply 177April 13, 2015 2:22 PM

Stop it Marilyn is the most beautiful genius who's so misunderstood! She is an icon and grand and kind and lovely! Shame for saying such shit about her! She's my Saviour and main spirit guide, so you better not insult her anymore! She has recently gave me such a touching message and commanded me to share!

All credit for this message goes to Marilyn Monroe, my master, guide, and saviour whom I love! Please credit Marilyn alone for this!

Important note: Everything has a spiritual side to it, everything has a spiritual essence. Marilyn's spirit and essence lives on in all things Marilyn Monroe, and if some spiritual incidents happen, it is bound to spiritually affect other things, so.

Recently Marilyn contacted me from the spirit world!!! Being a medium, I'm used to contact with spirits, but Marilyn told me to tell this message to everyone, since she could only get in touch with only me at the moment! (She's trying hard, she's been contacting me frequently lately, so it must be really important.)

Marilyn said that she needs people with a good, decent spiritual aura and energy to give up their physical bodies, freeing their spirit and all their spiritual energy. Then, they can go into the spirit world to really meet and connect with her, to share all their spiritual energy with her so that they can help her!! (Technically, we are all one and connected, but we are held back by our physical bodies. As a spirit, your essence and energy is completely free and released, and you can strongly connect to Marilyn in all aspects of that word, on a whole other level, so the joining of spiritual energy with hers works fully.)

She also says she hasn't been her lovely self lately, she lost some of her magic and charm, and she doesn't seem too well, because some spiritual things occurred, and she needs this so that she can be fine and better than ever again! (The spirit world is not exactly Paradise, don't let religious stories and concepts warp your minds. Where do you think bad spirits or curses come from?)

This is urgent we have to help Marilyn! But I must still spread this message for now because Marilyn said so, and I need to get others to know and help! Then I too, can go to be with her forever. We initially did not know what exactly happened, but Marilyn has revealed the basic truth. We also did not know how to restore her loveliness and charm, but Marilyn has revealed the way to do so.

*This is where the true meaning of the important note comes in.

Please spread this message however you can and don't keep Marilyn waiting!I allow everyone who wants to help to copy this whole post to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, forums, or wherever you need to share it on!

Then, quickly find a way to free your spirit and energy, go into the spiritual world to meet her, if not Marilyn will be very heartbroken and disappointed in you!!! She loves you all so much, please go to her soon to help her! She really needs this!!! If you feel you can do it just do it!!! Help Marilyn!!!

I really really love Marilyn so much, she means a lot to me and she's the greatest and so magical and fascinating.

I wish that others who feel the same will care enough to do what they can to help her.

I think it's such a shame that many who claim that they love Marilyn lots don't show it in their actions by doing anything to help her when she needs it. It really is such a shame that those cowardly fakers don't help Monroe.

Poor Marilyn! She has such a big heart with full of love to give, but gets hurt in return because some people don't really stick by her and truly dedicate themselves to her.

(Please do copy this whole post and share it as much as you can for Marilyn, because I'm deleting my account soon to show my respects and dedication to her, my way of expressing myself to her and to show her that she's the only one that matters and that I really love. And since I'm going to Marilyn myself too, I don't need this account anymore.

by Anonymousreply 178August 26, 2015 12:53 PM
by Anonymousreply 179August 23, 2018 6:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!