Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do you think the wonderful Naomi Watts never became a movie star?

She's got it all-looks, talent and a very gentle personality.

So why hasn't she become a movie star? And it seems to me that she is either a b-lister or a c-lister. So sad, I hope you makes it one day.

by Anonymousreply 87September 4, 2019 1:28 AM

La Naomi IS a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2013 3:11 PM

R1 No, she isn't. If she was, more people would know about her.

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2013 3:13 PM

Ummm... the last time I checked, she was an actress who regularly appears in leading roles in movies.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2013 3:14 PM

She was the lead in King Kong. I don't know if she's A-list, but she's definitely not C-list.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2013 3:15 PM

[quote]She was the lead in King Kong.

Well, not really. The effects were. She can't open a film.

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2013 3:17 PM

The only women in Hollywood who can open a film are Sandra Bullock and Angelina Jolie. Naomi Watts has an enviable career and will be a major Oscar contender this year with her Princess Diana biopic.

Why the fuck do gay men live and die by the careers of actresses? We are worse than straight men and their sports heroes.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2013 3:23 PM

Troll. Same person who started the "do you think Marion Cotillard will be in more movies" thread.

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2013 3:26 PM

I've always thought of her as a competent actress yet completely devoid of charisma or personality. Yes, she hits her marks and gets the job done yet it's like there's a blank space wherever she is on screen. I've even discussed it with friends who all agreed.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2013 3:26 PM

Good and enviable career but she's just a bit boring.. mousey somehow. Looks-wise more cute and girl-next-door than striking as well, I'd say.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2013 3:37 PM

She is the 21st century's answer to Deborah Kerr or Jean Simmons.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2013 3:38 PM

I beg to differ. Deborah Kerr and Jean Simmons were stunning beautiful women who headlined films from the late 40s into the 60s, both (who were friends, in 3 films together) playing with all the leading men of the time.

I liked Watts in Eastern Promises, but have not seen her in much else of note; according to IMDB she has several films in pre-production, so she is certainly a star.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2013 5:31 PM

Because she hasn't "it".

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2013 5:33 PM

She's always been in Nicole Kidman's shadow. Perhaps she'll have a late-career resurgence.

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2013 5:37 PM

She's a solid respected working B+/A- list actress who as stated plays lead roles or co-lead in ensembles. She doesn't have the "it" factor of a Jolie but she doesn't need it, her career isn't about being a sex symbol or huge celeb.

Her peers are Cotillard, Weisz, Chastain and the like, all respected actresses more about the work than the fame (although all are arguably very famous). She will win an Academy award someday.

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2013 5:40 PM

Excellent, sexy actress whom I love to watch. So very talented. She'll be 45 in sept and works constantly. I don't give a shit if op or anyone else considers her a "movie star" or not.

Apparently Watts was Harvey Whatshisfaces' first choice for The Reader but the director wanted Winslet. Gawd, I would have loved to have seen what Naomi would have done with that role.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2013 5:48 PM

2002. Naomi, Heath and Jodie. Watts never looked 11 years older than Ledger. And she always looked deliriously happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2013 5:51 PM

Naomi was great in "21 Grams" and "The Impossible. I think she does a great job of portraying an everyday woman in extraordinary circumstances. She does not come off like say a Nicole Kidman, woman who is above it all.

I like both Watts and Kidman but Naomi is much more relatable in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2013 5:53 PM

Watts is a fugly little oaf with average acting skills. She was lucky enough to be friends (and lovers) with Nicole Kidman, who opened up doors for Watts. If she hadn't had that connection, she's be back in Australia, doing shitty Australian TV (where she really belongs).

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2013 5:57 PM

Watts is a fugly little oaf with average acting skills. She was lucky enough to be friends (and lovers) with Nicole Kidman, who opened up doors for Watts. If she hadn't had that connection, she's be back in Australia, doing shitty Australian TV (where she really belongs).

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2013 5:58 PM

Her movie "Two Mothers" about the moms who fuck each other's hot sons is coming out this year and is supposed to be an instant camp classic!

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2013 5:59 PM

Anyone who has been unfortunate enough to see dear Naomi's nipples will understand why she hasn't become a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2013 6:02 PM

Gives an expert, largely unappreciated performance You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger. At the top of her game as Valerie Plame in Fair Game. Superb in Eastern Promises. She has certainly starred in many movies and she is justly an acclaimed actress.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by her allegedly not being a movie star. Sometimes that's said of anyone who isn't Elizabeth Taylor. No one in this day and age is Elizabeth Taylor or anything like her in terms of movie stardom. Sometimes it's said of someone who doesn't have star quality. Look no further than her breakthrough performance in Mulholland Drive and you will likely agree that she does have star quality in addition to being a first rate actress.

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2013 6:05 PM

She's had a longer career than a movie star, and is still getting plenty of work and respect, so IMHO she's handled her career better than most movie stars.

As to the IT Factor... the one film where she had real movie-star charisma was her breakthrough role, David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive". She was mesmerizing in that, through nearly every frame of a long film, and I've heard it said that the reason she's never won an Oscar is that she's never been quite that good again. If she didn't even get a nomination for the performance of a lifetime, who's going to give her a gong for inferior work?

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2013 9:23 PM

She should have won the Oscar this year

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2013 9:24 PM

The very gentle personality?

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2013 9:25 PM

Happens all the time, R23. Actors who should have gotten an Oscar for an iconic role and get it for another, lesser work.

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2013 9:28 PM

Both Naomi and Nicole are boring as all get out. Can they act? How successful are they? Are they true movie stars? I don't care about any of it. That monotone voice they both use is enough to make me want run into traffic. Please America stop putting them in movies. But whatever you do, don't send either of them back to us.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2013 9:43 PM

" I've even discussed it with friends who all agreed."

[bold] M.A.R.Y. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2013 9:48 PM

It could be Naomi vs Nicole for Best Actress next year. Princess Grace and Princess Diana in a fight to the death. Datalounge will explode.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2013 9:49 PM

r26, you beat me to it. It is quite common that an oscar is awarded for inferior work when the winner's career best work is not so honored, sometimes not even nominated. Examples: Paltrow did not deserve the oscar for Shakespeare in Love; and while she has given some very fine performances in later films (especially in Sylvia and Proof), she has never been nominated for any of them. Blanchett wasn't honored for Elizabeth but won for The Aviator. Pacino wasn't honored for The Godfather, Serpico, or Dog Day Afternoon but won for Scent of a Woman. Newman gave countless better performances than The Color of Money. Cher's performance in Mask towers over her work in Moonstruck. Bardem gets it for No Country for Old Men, a good performance but not nearly as good as his work in Before Night Falls.

It is quite possible that Watts will be a frontrunner for an oscar for Diana whether she deserves to be or not precisely because she's considered overdue.

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2013 9:51 PM

I don't think she's a great or even good actress. She's awful and her looks sailed a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2013 9:53 PM

Why doesn't she just get her parents to buy her stardom?

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2013 9:56 PM

I'd say someone who has consistently gets roles in motion pictures certainly could be classified as a "movie star."

The OP is a clod. And so are the idiots who say she has no looks or talent. She has both.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2013 10:04 PM

Another great performance of hers is THE PAINTED VEIL. That's also the only time I've found Edward Norton sexy.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2013 12:38 AM

[quote]Apparently Watts was Harvey Whatshisfaces' first choice for The Reader but the director wanted Winslet. Gawd, I would have loved to have seen what Naomi would have done with that role.

I don't know who was the first choice, but Kidman was cast and had to drop out due to pregnancy. Winslet was a last minute replacement.

You can google it.

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2013 12:48 AM

Kidman's almost contract was leaked. It was a surprisingly small salary, but obviously worked out well for Kate Winslet (Oscar).

Naomi is a really great actress in her 40's. The Impossible made a lot of money and won her an Oscar nomination. She is eclipsing her friend Nicole, at least as far as acting recognition and aging gracefully. Diana was picked up by a minor distributor, which is not a good sign. Harvey will try and sell Grace of Monaco for Nicole, but it's going to be a major $30 million holiday turkey. Nicole is headed for HBO.

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2013 2:49 AM

She's been nominated at least twice for an Oscar. In what universe does that not constitute movie star status?

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2013 2:54 AM

Diana looks like a dumb, piece of shit, Lifetime movie. I don't think it's getting nominated for anything.

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2013 3:01 AM

She'll be working for a LONG time to come. Wisely didn't play the "looks" card and will therefore not flounder like Kidman and other actresses who went the glamor/looks route.

She's a very attractive woman and talented actress. I think whoever compared her to Deborah Kerr and Jean Simmons was right.

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2013 3:06 AM

Seen her in a few movies, and am not sure she has any talent at all.

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2013 3:06 AM

I loved Ellie Parker although it wasn't greatly received. That film made me love her even more than Mulholland Drive.

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2013 3:09 AM

She's an actor. She was great in Ellie Parker.

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2013 3:14 AM

I saw her in that Mullholland Drive movie, The Painted Veil, Eastern Promises, Fair Game,and The Impossible movie with Ewan McGregor. She is sublime. I love Naomi Watts. She has carved out her niche and she is highly respected and she has a very unique style. I consider her A list.

by Anonymousreply 43May 31, 2013 3:25 AM

She's ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 44May 31, 2013 3:26 AM

R16 that video clip of Heath & Naomi was beautiful. My god, that man was pure sex. No wonder Naomi looked so happy. Jodie looked good too.

by Anonymousreply 45May 31, 2013 3:31 AM

She's a very good, highly proficient actress. But you might get an answer by comparing the work of Eva Marie Saint (talented, beautiful) with that of, say, Faye Dunaway (talented, beautiful).

by Anonymousreply 46May 31, 2013 3:33 AM

She is a boring actress.

by Anonymousreply 47May 31, 2013 3:35 AM

She is a perfectly competent actress but lacks sex appeal. It seems like she does the minimum required of her to open a movie as far as promoting her projects.

by Anonymousreply 48May 31, 2013 3:38 AM

"The Impossible" was heartwrenching. She deserved that nomination. Should've won too.

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2013 6:31 AM

Very good in 21 grams.

by Anonymousreply 50June 1, 2013 6:57 AM

In the actress round table video on YouTube, you can see why she isn't a bigger star. Surrounded by attention whores such as Ann Hathaway, Sally Field and Amy Adams, poor Naomi almost faded into the background. Sally and Ann especially went on and on and didn't let anyone else speak. You could tell by Naomi's body language though that she was out of her element in a situation like that, which is not a good thing for anyone who wants to be a movie star in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 51June 1, 2013 7:35 AM

her 2nd best actress nomination 4 months ago, more than 6 films awaiting release or already filming, major critics prizes, has worked with world class auteurs, has been tipped for a 3rd nomination as princess diana before she even filmed the project, she's received multi-million dollar paychecks, and was undoubtably the star of at least a few blockbusters, she's still beautiful and will age well, very well respected by her peers. WTF bitch is a star, for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 52June 1, 2013 7:52 AM

Thank you R52. I remember seeing Naomi on some interview show to promote a movie a few years ago, maybe when she was still dating Heath, and she was painfully shy. Truly. I haven't ever seen anyone in such pain trying to get thru an interview. I wanted to just hug her. She's become more relaxed now that she is older, and with Liev and she has two kids, but back in the Mullholland Drive days she was extremely shy.

by Anonymousreply 53June 1, 2013 12:10 PM

Definitely very good also in MD.

by Anonymousreply 54June 1, 2013 12:46 PM

How random..There are very few who become a "movie star". You make it sound as if she gets no work. I think she does ok for herself.

by Anonymousreply 55June 1, 2013 2:38 PM

Naomi Watts is a consistently WORKING actress, isn't that enough, to WORK in your chosen field?

OP is an idiot.

Who the hell cares about whether an actress or actor is considered a "movie star"? Lots of women and men who were big movie stars were never heard from again once their looks faded.

What's wrong with the actresses and actors who still have careers once their looks have faded, that means they have actual talent!

by Anonymousreply 56June 1, 2013 2:54 PM

I couldn't agree more R56

by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2013 2:58 PM

I think she's sexy, but not in an outwardly aggressive way like Angelina Jolie, or at least Jolie ten years ago. When I think of an actress who lacks sex appeal, I think of Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 58June 1, 2013 3:03 PM

She went through a period where it seemed all she was doing were remakes of older films.

I lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 59June 1, 2013 3:07 PM

I think she is a great actress one of the best working now. She seems like a typical English girl from Kent rather than the Australian she is supposed to be. She has admitted to being shy.I also think she is sexy as all hell,especially in Mulholland Drive and Ellie Parker.

by Anonymousreply 60June 1, 2013 3:16 PM

I just rewatched Mulholland Drive yesterday for the first time since it was in theaters. She was fucking amazing. Her audition scene with Chad Everet is classic.

She should have won the Oscar for The Impossible. I can't imagine too many other actresses pulling off that role.

She may not be on a lot of magazine covers,but she still looks great, knows how to dress for a "wow" on the red carpet, and is well respected in the industry. I'd say she is A List.

by Anonymousreply 61June 1, 2013 8:15 PM

Of course she's A List. Brilliant actress with her own defined style. After looking at that video of her with Heath Ledger I found other photos of them together. They were a gorgeous couple. They generated some serious sexual heat. I bet she was the love of his tragically short life. I remember she spoke about in some interview after he died. She really grieved his passing.

by Anonymousreply 62June 1, 2013 11:23 PM

[quote]Look no further than her breakthrough performance in Mulholland Drive and you will likely agree that she does have star quality in addition to being a first rate actress.

I really didn't like Mullholland Drive at all, but her performance was arresting. She really did it all in that role.

I suspect she doesn't have much interest in the "star" aspect of HW and does what she's required to promote. Watts never seemed like the type to go to the opening of an envelope.

by Anonymousreply 63June 1, 2013 11:39 PM

Her shy beauty is the source of her concealed sexual energy and strong acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 64June 1, 2013 11:44 PM

She was absolutely brilliant in Mulholland Drive and to think she wasn't even nominated and that Halle Berry won that year is just tragic.

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2014 1:46 AM

Cookie cutter-dull.

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2014 1:57 AM

Her bottom lip has always bothered me

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2014 2:18 AM

Scurrilous Gossip: I once worked with a guy who said his friend was a grip or gaffer or something on a film Naomi was working on and that Naomi and this friend started having sex. Naturally I asked for the dirt and he said "she looks nice but is nasty - she can not get enough coke up her nose or dicks in her mouth."

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2014 2:26 AM

[quote]It could be Naomi vs Nicole for Best Actress next year. Princess Grace and Princess Diana in a fight to the death. Datalounge will explode.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 69May 30, 2014 2:27 AM

Ive heard about the threesomes etc w/ her& liev

by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2014 2:29 AM

she's hugely talented, but she seems to choose roles in almost only super depressing movies (some of them great, mind you) where she suffers A LOT. maybe she should try comedies to expand her appeal. But yes, she's a superb actress, who cares she's not a "movie star?"

by Anonymousreply 71July 17, 2015 7:08 PM

Untalented imho. Can not act.

by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2015 7:22 PM

R72 never watched Mulholland Drive

by Anonymousreply 73July 17, 2015 7:36 PM

[quote]Naomi and this friend started having sex. Naturally I asked for the dirt and he said "she looks nice but is nasty - she can not get enough coke up her nose or dicks in her mouth."

So basically Naomi is Momma.

by Anonymousreply 74July 17, 2015 7:51 PM

Beauty is (to some extent) subjective, but "fugly"? Crazy talk.

She and Live make the most gorgeous couple ever in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 75July 17, 2015 7:52 PM

Liev

by Anonymousreply 76July 17, 2015 8:00 PM

She 's a good actress but not particularly compelling to watch or charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 77July 17, 2015 8:07 PM

Stayed home taking care of two kids fathered by Liev Schreiber who didn't marry Naomi, while he was out and about with other women,

by Anonymousreply 78July 17, 2015 8:36 PM

She's playing the mom of "transgender" Elle Fanning in Three Generations and then co-starring with Jake G in Demolition. It's almost like she's trying to get DLers wound up.

by Anonymousreply 79July 17, 2015 8:53 PM

I like Naomi Watts.

But she was terrible in Diana!

The movie where she and Robin Wright trade having sex with each others sons is really good. As the woman who truly falls in love with her best friends son, she is at timeslonely and hesrheartbroken and at times just hot and horny.

The movie is already out in Netflix. The two actors who play the sons are sexy as hell. Nice tight beach bodies and incredible assess.

by Anonymousreply 80July 17, 2015 9:00 PM

I never thought she was very interesting...at all.

by Anonymousreply 81July 17, 2015 10:11 PM

As I've been saying on the "Box office poison" thread, the B-listers frequently have more interesting and enjoyable careers than the A-listers. They don't have the pressure to produce at the box office, they aren't limited by a star persona, they don't have to famewhore 24/7, and they get more interesting and varied roles. And they still make a lot of money.

Would you bitches rather have Naomi's career, or Nicole Kidman's? I mean, Nicole had to marry Tom Cruise to get on the A-list, and I couldn't possibly come up with a better demonstration of why getting on the A-list might not be worth the trouble.

by Anonymousreply 82July 17, 2015 10:34 PM

Still waiting on that Lara Logan biopic.

by Anonymousreply 83July 17, 2015 10:45 PM

I wish would have played Narcissa Malfoy instead of the woman who did. She would have been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2015 10:46 PM

Drab.

by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2015 11:01 PM

She reminds me of a more talented, fearless Amy Adams. Amy has a better agent, though.

by Anonymousreply 86September 4, 2019 1:23 AM

She is A-list

by Anonymousreply 87September 4, 2019 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!