Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Hannibal" Is Facing Cancellation

The numbers are becoming non-existent for the network now. The word is that it's now officially facing the ax. I never saw the show. Is it that bad? People said that after the first episode, it was all down hill from there.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2020 1:27 AM

It's up against Scandal and Elementary. It never had a chance. Perhaps if they had moved it to another night.

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2013 3:23 AM

Well, one thing about NBC - especially in that particular time slot - they will really hang in there and give the show a chance to thrive.

So ... if it bites it it's not because it wasn't given a chance.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2013 3:29 AM

it's not good and it is grotesque. Lots of closeups of Lecter preparing and cooking human organs.

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2013 3:35 AM

OP, I'm giving serious thought to eating your wife.

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2013 3:38 AM

I don't like the guy playing Lecter. Is he famous for something else? He gets staggered top billing with Hugh Dancy even though his role is much smaller. (Dancy is quite good BTW.)

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2013 3:43 AM

It's a bit too niche and macabre for broadcast TV. This would have worked so much better on Showtime or Starz.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2013 3:48 AM

I can't seem to get into it, and Fishburne's just phoning it in. It was nice to see his wife playing his wife a couple of episodes ago though. The missing episode that NBC pulled is available on all of the streaming sites and as a series of webisodes now.

Watch all NBC webisodes from pulled 'Hannibal' episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2013 3:50 AM

I may watch it online when Scandal is over. It was just the wrong time for me. I love Hugh Dancy, but I love Kerry more.

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2013 3:51 AM

yeah r6 said macabre! My favorite word!

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2013 3:51 AM

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2013 3:52 AM

I'd like it if Hugh Dancy and Theo James could play gay lovers in some show next year. I didn't think Golden Boy was that great, but I watched it. The two of them are just so insanely gorgeous. The only thing I'd like more is a show starring Hugh Dancy and Billy Crudup as male lovers.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2013 3:56 AM

Good, it's trash.

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2013 3:56 AM

Hannibal is honestly one of the best shows of the season. I hope it gets renewed. And yes, Hugh Dancy is a revelation, even though the other guy gets top billing and all the promo.

by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2013 3:58 AM

You're kidding me r3 - a show about a serial killing cannibal is, gasp, grotesque? How dare they spoil the good reputation of serial killing cannibals..

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2013 3:58 AM

R13, mads shares top billing with Hugh. Their names even appear together in the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2013 4:00 AM

The show is awesome. I LOVE it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2013 4:01 AM

If you like Hugh Dancy, check out Daniel Deronda, a BBC movie he did years ago.

by Anonymousreply 17May 11, 2013 4:03 AM

They alternate top billing each week and the billing is staggered with the one on the left lower than the one on the right. (must have been some serious negotiations to arrive at that.)

by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2013 4:03 AM

Hugh Dancy, did he ever show cawk?

by Anonymousreply 19May 11, 2013 4:05 AM

Not that I know of, and I've looked, R19.

by Anonymousreply 20May 11, 2013 4:09 AM

don't think so r19. I saw him in a play where he raped Ben Whishaw....it was hot. (but I don't endorse rape or rape rape)

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2013 4:09 AM

The whole Hannibal Lechter thing has been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2013 7:50 AM

Hugh was great on The Big C as a gay dude with cancer.

by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2013 11:19 AM

I love it, and hope they move it to another night and give it a second season.

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2013 11:26 AM

[quote]You're kidding me [R3] - a show about a serial killing cannibal is, gasp, grotesque? How dare they spoil the good reputation of serial killing cannibals..

I meant it as an explanation of why it failed. It went too far. People can deal with intense gore for a few scenes in a 2 hour movie. They can deal with it in a fantasy like Walking Dead. They can deal with brief shots of gore on CSI. Not too many people want to spend an hour each week with lots of lingering closeups of disfigured corpses and human organ meat in a real world setting.

by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2013 4:26 PM

It's very dark and very grim, so I can see what it's not popular, although I'm sure NBC thought the title would draw people who liked Silence of the Lambs and the other Lecter films.

I confess that at times I have problems following the plots and the show seems to double back on itself quite often.

by Anonymousreply 26May 11, 2013 4:38 PM

The frequent flashbacks, dreams and visions don't help in terms of clarity. They may work in setting a disorienting tone, but that's a challenge for a network TV audience.

by Anonymousreply 27May 11, 2013 4:47 PM

I hope they renew it and pair it with Grimm on Fridays. The showrunner Bryan Fuller has an awesome six year plan that he's discussed in interviews.

I do wish they cast someone else as Hannibal, though.

by Anonymousreply 28May 11, 2013 4:53 PM

The guy they cast as Hannibal is just too grotesque looking. He's very hard to look at. I can't stand to look at him. I think a lot of people think the same and so don't watch.

by Anonymousreply 29May 11, 2013 10:23 PM

wELL ITS HARD TO COMPETE WITH aNTHONY hOpkins.they shoulod have tried to get Brian Cox from the old TV movie.Maybe Sir Anthony will make soime more movies now.

by Anonymousreply 30May 11, 2013 10:37 PM

Nothing seems to work on NBC at that time slot.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2013 1:24 AM

It's just too violent. I made it through the pilot and couldn't watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2013 1:32 AM

I like it because it's violent and Hannibal is a freak. He sort of makes cannibalism look delicious.

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2013 1:46 AM

I prefer Scandal during that hour.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2013 1:49 AM

WTF? "Hard to look at"?? Mads (Hannibal) is totally beautiful and mesmerizing, I find it impossible to look at anyone else when he's onscreen. Can't wait to see season 2 on Netflix

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2014 4:21 AM

Saw the mushroom people in the second or third ep and I was out!

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2014 6:05 AM

Why is this thread being bumped? I got all the way to the second page before I realized it was from last spring.

I just can't get over NBC showing such a gruesome show. This kind of thing is okay on network TV? And don't get me wrong, I love horror, violence, and gore as much as anyone.

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2014 6:13 AM

R29, it's so weird to think their final choice for Hannibal was between Mads and David Tennant.

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2014 12:59 PM

Agree with r35. Mads is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 39October 26, 2014 1:14 PM

R35, Season 2 is already available to stream on Netflix Canada. Just get a simple VPN extension for your browser and choose your country of origin as Canada. Once you do that your browser will refresh and you will see the login page for Netflix Canada. Use your same credentials.

It's completely legal. It's the same page you would see if you were traveling with your laptop to Canada and wanted to watch Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 40October 26, 2014 1:23 PM

That's awesome r40!.

by Anonymousreply 41October 26, 2014 1:30 PM

Hugh Dancy was THE reason to watch this great show. Mads Mikkelsen looks like a desiccated corpse and his "acting" is the equivalent of being a tree trunk.

Dancy, however, was terrific. And he's amazing in his new Hulu show The Path, too.

by Anonymousreply 42July 7, 2016 10:38 PM

I thought it was already cancelled. Netflix refused to carry the series.

by Anonymousreply 43July 7, 2016 10:50 PM

!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2017 5:31 PM

I hate the artwork for that show. The image of Hannibal dabbing his mouth. So annoying.

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2017 5:32 PM

Good lord, just let it die already.

by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2017 5:42 PM

I agree with R29. I am not even sure what it is, really. Maybe he has a waxen face with odd features. And, his mannerisms. Makes him very hard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2017 5:43 PM

That's the whole point! He's a monster wearing a human suit. You're supposed to feel uneasy watching him.

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2017 5:45 PM

^

No, that is actually how he looks. In real life.

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2017 5:46 PM

R49 Not really. I wasn't creeped out by him in Doctor Strange at all.

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2017 5:50 PM

I am a big fan of Hannibal Lecter the character, and i was actually surprised by how good the series was vs the movies (only Silence of the Lambs is decent, Hannibal (the movie) was OK and Hannibal rising (both book and movie) are terrible). I would love to see how they can continue the series.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2017 7:27 PM

I love all the Hannibal films (Rising less than all, love the rest), but the TV series was incomprehensible and impossible to love.

It was beautifully done, but it was too much gore and intense insanity all the time...

That said, if Fuller gets another season or two to tell the Clarice storyline, I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 52August 13, 2017 5:04 AM

Bumping this because I decided to give this a try, having read good things about it. I broke my rule not to ever. EVER, watch network tv again.

There’s a reason for rules.

Wow, what a letdown. Mikkelson is completely miscast as Lecter. Same goes for Fishburne, who is completely terrible in this part.

The show is so overwrought. There’s so real exploration in the storytelling what the killer is doing or why, other than Will Graham, aka Captain Exposition, suddenly blurting things out about the killer that he’d have no basis to know. Dancey gets wild eyed and exclaims “HE USES NONDAIRY CREAMER.” Care to share with the rest of us, motherfucker?

At one point Graham is in an office bathroom and Crawford comes in and SCREAMS at another FBI employee who has innocently come in to “USE THE LADIES ROOM!” Why? It’s so teevee. Then graham and Crawford scream at each other and there’s no reason to do so. Why are they screaming at each other, I thought.

The show tries way too hard to be weird and extreme. All the graphic gore is no substitute for disturbing storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2020 1:05 AM

I’m sure the CGI for the elephants was getting expensive.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2020 1:12 AM

This show was (is?) so bizarre. I absolutely adore Thomas Harris’s novels (yes all 4, Hannibal actually being my favorite) and love the films (Hannibal Rising less space, but love the other 3) so I am perceivably the intended audience for this... it just lies there, with blasts of ridiculous gore and beautiful shots. I got halfway through Season 2 on Blu-Ray before I gave up, but perhaps I’ll give it another go now, what, 5 years later? I respect Fuller’s vision and perhaps I’d have a different take on it now. Maybe not... we shall see!

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2020 1:17 AM

Having a genuine genocidal psychopath in the White House kind of harshes the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2020 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!