Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Inger Stevens

So beautiful, yet so troubled . Tried to commit suicide many times , even while her career got more, and more successful. Especially haunting, given her famous "Twilight Zone" episode, where Mr. Death follows her, in her car ( " I believe you are going my way" ). Bing Crosby was dating her , when he eloped with his last wife, while Inger thought they were to be married. Pig. Dated Burt Reynolds, Clint Eastwood, Warren Beatty, Dean Martin, & Harry Belafonte. Her death is still suspicious.

by Ike Jonesreply 1301/26/2015

Why is her death suspicious, OP? Didn't she finally kill herself by drinking cleaning fluid, lye, or something like that?

She was a beautiful, sad woman and died way too young, but was self-destructive for years.

by Ike Jonesreply 105/10/2013

Beautiful women are often troubled; being a beautiful woman doesn't guarantee happiness or love.

by Ike Jonesreply 205/10/2013

It's a cookbook!

by Ike Jonesreply 305/10/2013

Barbiturates were in her system, but like Marilyn , there were many who felt it was accidental, or ? She had just signed to do a new series for Aaron Spelling, and friends thought she was happier than she had been in a long time.

by Ike Jonesreply 405/10/2013

The Hitchhiker, The Lateness of The Hour were the two Twilight Zone episodes she was on and she was also on a creepy Alfred Hitchcock Hour episode too. I like her.

by Ike Jonesreply 505/10/2013

Besides The Farmer's Daughter, I remember her fondly as a witty guest contestant on the after-school TV quiz show You Don't Say, which was sort of a poor man's Password.

by Ike Jonesreply 605/10/2013

Inger had a bandage on her chin, when she was found. At a coroner's inquest, Burt Reynolds admitted he had hit her. She was found in her kitchen , and it was determined she was in the middle of making a sandwich, when she collapsed. A lot of pills were still in her esophagus, like she had tried not to swallow them. I'd say that's fairly suspicious.

by Ike Jonesreply 705/10/2013

Another weird Inger fact - pre "Farmer's Daughter", she had secretly married a black musician named Ike Jones. Back in that crazy time, if the network had known their pretty, blonde star was married to a black man , she would have been fired immediately. They were still married , when she died, but no one knew till after. Don't think that secret could be kept today.

by Ike Jonesreply 805/11/2013

I remember when Inger Stevens suddenly, unexpectedly died; I was 10 years old at the time. Yes, there was a great deal of mystery surrounding her death at the time, and this was in the days long before the Internet. The first story circulated was that Stevens had been drinking heavily, that she was on a bender, and that she had tried to drink a bottle of caustic lye. This would have been a horrible way to die, if true. This story was so pervasive in the early 70s that everyone just accepted it as the truth -- for decades, until I was in my 40s, I always recalled Inger Stevens' death as an accident or suicide by ingesting lye. I mean, I never even heard the barbiturate story until the Internet came along.

by Ike Jonesreply 901/26/2015

My favourite Inger Stevens film is the 1967 TV Movie The Borgia Stick. Don Murray, Fritz Wepper, Barry Nelson and the beautiful, seductive Inger.

by Ike Jonesreply 1001/26/2015

When she was young, her parents divorced and she moved with her father to the U.S., eventually to Kansas. She basically stopped going to high school so she could perform at burlesque clubs in Kansas City, when she was as young as 14 (Wikipedia claims 16, but I know someone who was her teacher, and he says that from her first year in high school she was often a no-show). I'd say it was pretty likely she was molested or forced into sketchy work by her own father.

Curiously, on her last night on earth, she had dinner with Candy Spelling of all people. (And Aaron, and Burt Reynolds, who later told an inquest he'd hit her that night.)

by Ike Jonesreply 1101/26/2015

Dinner with Reynolds and Spellings, No wonder she killed herself.

by Ike Jonesreply 1201/26/2015

My family were good friends of a family in Kansas who owned a music and appliance store where Inger worked when she was in high school. They liked her and never said anything bad about her, which was a surprise, because Mrs. Conde (whose first name I have forgotten) was a very cold woman.

I just wanted to add that since the teacher I mentioned in R11 was pretty negative about Stevens, which I don't think was an accurate assessment.

by Ike Jonesreply 1301/26/2015
Need more help? Click Here.