Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amy Grant Won't Discuss Her Feelings On Gay Marriage

Amy Grant Won't Discuss Her Feelings On Gay Marriage

BY ON TOP MAGAZINE STAFF; PUBLISHED: APRIL 24, 2013

Singer-songwriter Amy Grant refuses to discuss the subject of gay marriage, other than to say the issue is not cut-and-dry.

The 52-year-old Grant is best known for performing Christian music and has been referred to as the “Queen of Christian Pop.”

In an interview with Michigan weekly Pride Source, Grant said that she appreciates her gay fans.

“If people come to my shows, this is what they say: 'Wow, there are people of all ages and lifestyles in your crowd.' That's what they always say. But then someone will come up and say, 'You know, I saw a guy with a boa on,' and I'll say, 'Oh yeah, yeah, I've always had a big gay following,'” she said with a laugh.

Grant added that she does not discuss her feelings on marriage equality.

“I never talk about anything like that,” Grant said.

“But I think my response [to being asked about gay nuptials] is, I have had so many occasions in my life where I have felt really strongly about something – but that feeling has changed. Those feelings change about different situations, and so because I'm a public person – and because I want always to bring people together – I really do say this is a world that's unfamiliar to me and I am always trying to observe with compassion.”

“This isn't a cut-and-dry issue for you, then?”

“Well, nothing is cut-and-dry,” Grant answered. In closing she added that everybody is welcome in the religious community.

“I know that the religious community has not been very welcoming, but I just want to stress that the journey of faith brings us into community, but it's really about one relationship. The journey of faith is just being willing and open to have a relationship with God. And everybody is welcome. Everybody.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 22, 2020 12:10 AM

Amy Grant has long been connected to the Evangelicals. Even back in the 1980s. She has spoken out against the Gay community several times. She is like the Michelle Bachmann of folk music.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2013 5:25 PM

She supports it privately. She does not want to alienate her main fan base, which are hardcore Christians.

What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2013 5:28 PM

She's full of scheisse. No one is coming to her concerts with feather boas except maybe suburban Fraus.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2013 5:28 PM

memo to On Top mag staff: the correct expression is "cut and dried", not cut and dry.

Like the bimbos in our office who refer to "can goods" rather than canned goods.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2013 5:29 PM

I don't hate her, even having known for decades that she's a devout Christian. but now I can't respect her.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2013 5:29 PM

r1 how can you read what she said and equate her with Michelle Bachmann?

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2013 5:29 PM

That's complete bullshit, R1. She's been (as the article describes) very supportive, particularly given the shit she's gotten from Evangelicals herself.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2013 5:30 PM

SHE'S A DIVORCEE!!!! A DIVORCEE, BLANCHE!!!

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2013 5:32 PM

The expression is "cut and dried," not "cut and dry."

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2013 5:33 PM

She's a bigot. To hell with her. It is hardly possible to imagine a more cut and dried issue.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2013 5:35 PM

Yes, her commitment to traditional hetero marriage has been less than complete.

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2013 5:35 PM

She's not a bigot. She's a coward. She supports marriage equality privately, but won't vocalize the support out of fear of how her fans will react.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2013 5:39 PM

She's not throwing stones, she's protecting her money. One's less distasteful than another. Would the fundies really drop her over gay marriage when they didn't drop her over her whoreshit when she was married?

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2013 5:40 PM

see: also "cut-and-dry"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2013 5:44 PM

Evangelicals are not fundies and not necessarily anti-gay. That being said , someone might take the time to ask about the Chely Wright-Vince Gill-Amy Grant triangle gossip that was buzzing through Nashville--not unlike the Terri Clark-Crystal Bernard-Billy Dean triangle.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2013 5:47 PM

Probably like Lisa Whelchel, too, R12.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2013 5:49 PM

I guess I'd rather her say she's going to keep her opinion to herself than come right out and say she doesn't believe in it, which you know is the truth (even with her trying to paint it with her 'I love my gay fans' crap). You know that is how she'd come out. Against it. I don't think that because she knows friends, family, fans that are gay that she supports it in any way. Just tries to ignore it..

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2013 5:59 PM

Several comments say she supports it but won't discuss it. Then how do you know she supports it? Do you know her personally?

by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2013 6:06 PM

Well, we love Dolly Parton here, and she is equally silent / ambiguous when answering these kinds of questions.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2013 6:07 PM

Google Dolly Parton gay marriage and you will see she has come out in support. She's not silent or ambiguous about it.

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2013 6:11 PM

Can't ask them about that triangle r15, wanna give us some details over that triangle gossip?

I know she's friends with gays and lesbians, so shes not anti-gay. Either she's against gay marriage, which I highly doubt, or she's just scared of losing her major fan base.

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2013 6:20 PM

I don't give a shit what she thinks about gay marriage. I want to know what queer went to an Amy Grant concert wearing a boa?

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2013 6:24 PM

She's a has-been, but still, it's sad that she claims she loves her gay fans (though I'm not sure given her use of "lifestyle" in reference to them), when anyone with half a brain watching violence against gay people escalate in France after legalizing gay marriage, anyone who reads about that knows it's violence supported by extreme right-wing Christians.

If her gay fans needs support, it's right now, and she's missing-in-action. Thanks for nothing, you hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2013 6:25 PM

Those "extreme right-wing Christians" clearly including Pope Francis.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2013 6:26 PM

Just give me your money and then fuck off fags.

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2013 6:29 PM

Sounds like she is being vague just to protect her income. Not cut and dried? An issue such as marriage equality NOT cut and dried? Is she joking? Who does she think she is kidding?

What she is really saying is that she doesn't support it.

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2013 6:31 PM

R24, leader of the Vatican? Right-wing? Surely, you jest!

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2013 6:36 PM

"Sure, why can't they get married? They should suffer like the rest of us do."

Dolly Parton's notable reply when asked about marriage equality in 2009. As R20 notes, there are plenty of other examples of Dolly's overt support, R19.

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2013 6:38 PM

Amy used to ping in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2013 6:41 PM

Hey OP. do you live your life based on the opinions of celebrities? If so, you are both sad and pathetic. Who gives a shit what she thinks ?

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2013 6:43 PM

[quote]Who gives a shit what she thinks ?

All the xtians who pay her millions. Enjoy the back of the bus R30. That is where you belong for taking shit like this without calling her out on it.

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2013 6:47 PM

She's being vague because she doesn't want to be in the position of judging anyone. She's had enough judgment leveled against her in her life. If you listen to some of her newer songs, they're all about a benevolent and accepting God. I wish she'd drop the god thing altogether, but she's definitely one of the most tolerable Christian types around....

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2013 6:48 PM

It's interesting, R30.

If you didn't think so, and want to be truly as dismissive as you have expressed in your posting, why post that in the first place? After all, you don't give a shit about the topic.

Amy Grant, I figure, is supportive. Right now she is being political in "evolving" in her way like so many others in theirs. She and many others know it's coming. Other countries are making it official before the U.S. So the political winds are against the continued discrimination and favoring the LGBT community.

Thanks for posting this, OP!

by Anonymousreply 33April 24, 2013 6:49 PM

No answer IS an answer.

"Evolving" is bullshit. She's obviously concerned about her fundie bottom line. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 34April 24, 2013 6:51 PM

I think it's cowardice to not admit in public what you believe in private. She's married to Vince Gill who is pretty liberal, from what I've heard. I assume she has a more lassez faire attitude as well. I do, however, understand what she's saying. Her mind isn't entirely made up, and once she says something in the interview, that's what people are going to think she believes forever. Her opinion could evolve, but no one will know that: they'll all just reference some inane comment she said two years ago. So...I think I give her a pass on this one.

by Anonymousreply 35April 24, 2013 6:52 PM

What r26 and r34 said.

by Anonymousreply 36April 24, 2013 6:56 PM

"Evangelicals are not fundies and not necessarily anti-gay."

Just say no to drugs R15.....

by Anonymousreply 37April 24, 2013 6:59 PM

P.S. She already alienated most of her Xtian fanbase with her "Behind the eyes" album in 1997, because there was little mention of God and it was all about her pining about Vince Gill... (She calls it her "Prozac and Razor Blades" album). Her latest album which is coming out is about ten years too late...she should've collaborated with these people much earlier.

by Anonymousreply 38April 24, 2013 7:01 PM

I think it's unfair to call her a coward and pathetic. We are just going based on assumption of her possible belief. She has every right to keep her opinions to herself. If this affects her bottom line, I can't judge; we all have to look out for ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 39April 24, 2013 7:03 PM

I'm sorry I'm obviously a fan girl bec I keep posting ... But I may as well share my vast knowledge with y'all, right? Rich Mullins once said that Amy was the one person who came the closest to embodying Jesus than anyone he'd ever known. In other words, she is a truly good person with a kind heart and not a mean bone in her body. I've never heard any gossip to indicate otherwise. Her ex husband, on the other hand, was a real creep and made her life a living hell for years!!

by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2013 7:07 PM

But Jesus hates fags, no?

That's what all those signs say, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2013 7:10 PM

What R32 and R40 said.

by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2013 7:20 PM

[quote]Who gives a shit what she thinks?... All the xtians who pay her millions. Enjoy the back of the bus [R30]. That is where you belong for taking shit like this without calling her out on it.

Who the fuck are you, Larry Kramer? She is not onstage calling for the anti-gay amendments. She is actually saying nothing, so her fans don't know how she stands ether. You think some has been Gospel singer has power over your life with her opinion? I don't take the bus.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2013 7:21 PM

Why would a gay person be stupid enough to give money to this cunt?

And the only thing she appreciates about her gay fans is their money.

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2013 7:21 PM

Isn't this the same woman that had an affair?

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2013 7:23 PM

I would love to here her answer for what's not "cut and dry"?

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2013 7:25 PM

cut and dry has it's origins in the hairdressing industry. It means everything is not frayed and split. No tangles, everything is smooth and straight. You get the picture.

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2013 7:57 PM

I just think the whole thing is a real shame. It's a shame about the gays, and it's a shame about poor Amy Grant. I'll be prayin' for 'em.

Don't forget to watch my hit sitcom!

by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2013 8:52 PM

Amy ain't about to piss of the xtian bigots who pay her so much money. She couldn't give less of a shit about you mos. And with idiotic fags like r30/43 so happy to ignore bigotry and hate as long as it is only directed at gays, you can't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 49April 24, 2013 9:36 PM

Amy ain't about to piss of the xtian bigots who pay her so much money. She couldn't give less of a shit about you mos. And with idiotic fags like r30/43 so happy to ignore bigotry and hate as long as it is only directed at gays, you can't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 50April 24, 2013 9:37 PM

She's a christian singer, everybody knows this. They only reason someone would ask her opinion is to pick a fight. Leave it alone bitches.

by Anonymousreply 51April 24, 2013 9:39 PM

She's an phony xtian cunt. What do we expect from her?

by Anonymousreply 52April 24, 2013 9:42 PM

[quote] And with idiotic fags like [R30]/43 so happy to ignore bigotry and hate as long as it is only directed at gays, you can't blame her.

"Mo" troll, for all your constant trolling and homophobia through hundreds of threads, it sounds like you are starting to come round - even YOU think that bigotry and hate against gays is something that people should speak out against.

Your evolution has begun.

by Anonymousreply 53April 24, 2013 9:45 PM

I doubt she supports gay marriage. She has donated a shitload of money to political candidates, all to Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 54April 24, 2013 10:31 PM

Actually read and then dissect the response. She's not anti-gay at all. She has many gay men in her inner circle who can attest to this. But just read these lines.

"I have had so many occasions in my life where I have felt really strongly about something – but that feeling has changed."

She's obviously talking about her deeply religious past. And she's saying that she has changed from her earlier, intolerant viewpoints about gays.

“I know that the religious community has not been very welcoming, but I just want to stress that the journey of faith brings us into community, but it's really about one relationship."

She basically admits that the church going folk dislike gay people. And she's stressing that what they think is of no importance at all.

"And everybody is welcome. Everybody."

Self-explanatory. Again, where's the intolerance?

It may be coded, but it isn't hateful by any means.

by Anonymousreply 55April 24, 2013 10:47 PM

I agree with those reading the statement as supportive even if she won't come right out and say it. Her mainstream career dried up in the 90s and her last couple albums have all courted her Christian audience so I get why she can't afford to alienate those fans. Even if every LGBT person in the country bought her CDs and went to her concerts it wouldn't match her fundie base.

Remember it was only a year ago that Obama publicly voiced his support for gay marriage after "evolving" on the issue. We're making huge, rapid progress but it still takes time and unfortunately those in the public eye often have to pander to the lowest common denominator. I think her emphatic statement that EVERYBODY is welcome in the eyes of God makes her point of view pretty clear.

by Anonymousreply 56April 25, 2013 12:26 AM

I have no idea why I'm going to post this, because no amount of anecdotal evidence will be enough to placate the intolerant haters on this thread. But I have to defend Amy, so here goes.

I am acquainted with Amy on a personal level. I have met and conversed with her on multiple occasions. I am also friends with one of her business associates. Both Amy and the associate are aware that I am gay, as they know my partner as well. Never once in the many years that we have interacted with these two has either ever given us any indication that they are anti-gay. Both have been welcoming and loving to my partner and me. I don't know how either of them feels about marriage equality because it has never come up between us. So I can't speak to that.

I do know that she has a sizable and devoted gay fanbase. I know specifically the boa-wearing fan. I also know the person who invited her to his same-sex marriage. So those details are true.

Hate her if you want. But I've always felt that if more Christians were like Amy, this world would be a better place. She's truly a good person, and I'm glad and proud to know her.

by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2013 12:41 AM

R57 You can think she's nice all you want, but anyone who can't flat-out say they support gay marriage is not someone you should be wasting your money on.

by Anonymousreply 58April 25, 2013 12:46 AM

Thanks for the financial advice R58, but I'm comfortable with how I spend my money. I have no regrets at all in maintaining my personal relationship with Amy Grant.

Here's a quote from her in the original interview (that was left out of this article):

[quote]When you don't understand something, you can either default to judgment or you can default to compassion. Those take you down completely different roads.

I appreciate that she, unlike most Christian public figures, chooses not to judge those people and situations that she doesn't understand or hasn't experienced. In my personal interaction with her, I've never once felt judged. I've always felt sincerely welcomed and valued as a friend.

(Link goes to original interview.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 25, 2013 3:10 AM

She sounds like a really sweet woman. A charitable view of her response is that she doesn't want to incite controversy about an issue neither she nor her fans understand, and that seems to be taking care of itself. It's not necessarily about money. But, realistically, it's probably about money and this isn't her finest hour.

by Anonymousreply 60April 25, 2013 3:27 AM

As I said in a previous response, I just get the feeling that she doesn't want to go on record as believing one thing or another, when she realizes that her views are evolving. I say let it go. She's ok.

by Anonymousreply 61April 25, 2013 4:22 AM

I always liked her video. The one where the man likes her at a carnival!

by Anonymousreply 62April 25, 2013 4:47 AM

She always seemed a bit butch....

by Anonymousreply 63April 25, 2013 4:52 AM

Enough with the "evolving." You either believe in equality or you don't. You either have the courage of your convictions or you don't.

Amy doesn't--on either one or both--of the statements above. If Amy doesn't believe in equality, then she should be ashamed of herself. And if she believes in equality but she won't stand up to her bigoted fans, then again, she ought to be ashamed of herself.

You know what's 'cut and dried?" She doesn't have gay fans. She wants us to buy her tickets. But she wants to stick with her evangelicals. Stick it up your ass, Amy.

by Anonymousreply 64April 25, 2013 4:53 AM

[quote]I always liked her video. The one where the man likes her at a carnival!

That's the "Good For Me" video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 25, 2013 5:03 AM

Grow up, r64...you are wrong!

by Anonymousreply 66April 25, 2013 5:06 AM

[quote]Enough with the "evolving." You either believe in equality or you don't. You either have the courage of your convictions or you don't.

Thank you. People need to quit making excuses for people like her in 2013. If they aren't for gay marriage in this day and age, they are no friend of gays. Plus don't forget she's donated to countless Republicans who do their best to prevent gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 67April 25, 2013 5:07 AM

R66 You need to wake up. The whole straight female celeb diva worship shit is so 1980's.

by Anonymousreply 68April 25, 2013 5:09 AM

For better or worse, she provided the soundtrack to my childhood. She seems like a good person. She seems like a kind person. I can respect that she doesn't want to disappoint or hurt anyone. I don't hand them out very often, but I can give her a pass...

by Anonymousreply 69April 25, 2013 5:09 AM

ummm hello....I was evolving....remember?

by Anonymousreply 70April 25, 2013 5:10 AM

It's odd how gay white liberals go after white Christians for the most part. Start asking celebrity/famous Muslims what they think about gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 71April 25, 2013 5:11 AM

R57 ... fess up, sister. You ARE the boa wearing gay, aren't you ???

:-)

by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2013 5:16 AM

Leave Amy alone! What a bunch of judgemental bitches.

by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2013 5:18 AM

[quote]I don't hand them out very often, but I can give her a pass...

It's doormats like you that are the reason we're STILL fighting for equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2013 5:24 AM

As an out gay, I don't have much tolerance for the such wishy washy, vague opinions on something so fundamental to human rights.

Why does she need to hide?

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2013 5:33 AM

Why do you feel entitled to know r75?

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2013 6:27 AM

well r64 we already know what you stick up your ass

by Anonymousreply 77April 25, 2013 7:40 AM

Dang! OMG! The gays are just as JUDGMENTAL as the Christians. Take a real look in the mirror your fucking cunts; if homosexuality weren't a sin in Christian doctrine and was accepted in mainstream society, many many MANY of you would be part of the bigot population. It is sooo obvious

by Anonymousreply 78April 25, 2013 7:44 AM

Amy Grant's political donations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 25, 2013 7:51 AM

She's a holier than thou Christian with a history of adultery. So, basically, she manages to have her cake and eat it too.

hard to respect her.

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2013 9:25 AM

I grew up in Nashville in the 80s and went to to xtian private school. I now joke that everyone there claimed, "Amy Grant's my cuz'n!" I never met her but we'd go fishing on her farm.

Her response is a bit cowardly but I believe the sincerity in what she says.

by Anonymousreply 81April 25, 2013 9:40 AM

Amy Grant is fantastic, so shut-up!

by Anonymousreply 82April 25, 2013 11:05 AM

Amy Grant donated money to Katherine Harris of Florida in 2002--after the 2000 election debacle in Florida.

Count Amy among the refusing to "evolve."

by Anonymousreply 83April 25, 2013 1:04 PM

[quote]She's a holier than thou Christian

If you knew anything about Amy Grant at all, you would know this statement is complete bullshit. She is the least "holier-than-thou" Christian I've ever met. If you listen to her music from the last 10 years, you will find a theme of compassion running through most of it. She often sings about not knowing or understanding what's going on in others lives and implores the listener to not make judgment, but instead to be uncritical and charitable to others.

by Anonymousreply 84April 25, 2013 1:11 PM

What a condescending notion that is, R84. No one needs "compassion" for being gay. That is exactly the type of attitude that makes Christians "holier-than-thou."

by Anonymousreply 85April 25, 2013 1:22 PM

Thank you, R85. Right on the mark.

Amy sweetheart, if you're not with us, you're against us. Is that 'cut and dried' enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 86April 25, 2013 1:27 PM

Who could blame her for not supporting the judgmental, stupid assholes on this thread? I'd tell you all to go fuck yourselves with a baseball bat too. Bunch of jizz chin bitches.

by Anonymousreply 87April 25, 2013 1:30 PM

wow, r87.

by Anonymousreply 88April 25, 2013 1:34 PM

You must have a warped sense of what compassion is R85. Why the fuck would you think compassion is condescending? Would you rather be viewed with contempt and hate?

I think when she says she approaches something she doesn't know or understands, she tries not to make judgment. That's a notion that a lot of people here could take to heart.

I get it. It would be great if she could come out and publicly support marriage equality. But I understand why she can't or won't. That would be a huge risk to take, jeopardizing her career. How many of us here would put our jobs and financial future on the line if asked to?

by Anonymousreply 89April 25, 2013 2:16 PM

SHe is sitting on millions of dollars in her bank accounts. Her career is in its twilight years. She could easily come out in favor of gay marriage without destroying her finances.

Get real, r89.

by Anonymousreply 90April 25, 2013 2:19 PM

Basically yes, Amy Grant, is protecting her bank balance and record sales. Her career.

And she wouldn't be the only one.

Now if it were me, I'd say I supported gay marriage and that's that. I think honesty is the best policy but that's just me.

She certainly does not deserve to be called a cunt by the DL oilybirds why fly at anything (inc other gays) who won't wave a Pride banner in the air. I might not agree with her 'protective' stance personally, though she can do what she pleases, but 'cunt' she ain't.

by Anonymousreply 91April 25, 2013 2:29 PM

I appreciate you think people may be 'dead' career-wise by their 40s/50s but they might have other ideas.

by Anonymousreply 92April 25, 2013 2:31 PM

My partner's ex is a good friend of hers. So, obviously, she does have gay friends. On the other hand, his homosexuality is a big pink elephant (excuse the pun) in the room in those circles of old Nashville money. The usual religious bullshit: love the sinner, hate the sin.

by Anonymousreply 93April 25, 2013 2:37 PM

More like love the sinner's money r93. Give it up Amy defenders, it was over once r79 linked to all her Repug donations. Grant doesn't have gay friends, she knows some gay people and pretends to be their friend while stabbing them in the back with her active support for the Repug party.

by Anonymousreply 94April 25, 2013 2:42 PM

I'm finding it difficult to understand why, out of all the Evangelical Christians in America, we're dumping on Amy Grant. She's arguably one of the most loving and "liberal" famous Christians I know about.

I think she's ambiguous about her support for same sex marriage because she doesn't want anyone to be hurt or offended. And that includes those Christians who are opposed to it. Instead, she's gently encouraging her fellow Christians who haven't yet seen the light to keep moving towards it. To include and embrace gay people. To embrace equality for everyone. For a lot of Christians that journey of acceptance takes longer than for others.

I don't think this is about money. Amy isn't hurting for money and I'm sure she realizes that her big pop star pay days are behind her. I hope she invested wisely.

I grew up in that Evangelical Christian culture. Most of you hardliner black/white thinkers probably won't believe me when I say that they are mostly kind, loving people. They truly try to understand and deal with the world from a Christian perspective. They aren't the gun-shootin', gay-hatin', Obama hatin' fundies that seem to have taken over the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 95April 25, 2013 2:45 PM

Is her husband still a fat load?

by Anonymousreply 96April 25, 2013 2:51 PM

Amy who?

by Anonymousreply 97April 25, 2013 2:56 PM

[quote] She's arguably one of the most loving and "liberal" famous Christians I know about.

Yes, she's a very "liberal" Christian who donates money only to Republicans like George Bush and Katherine Harris.

by Anonymousreply 98April 25, 2013 3:13 PM

[quote]Yes, she's a very "liberal" Christian who donates money only to Republicans like George Bush and Katherine Harris.

Well, yes. That's why I put quotation marks around "liberal"

by Anonymousreply 99April 25, 2013 3:15 PM

[quote]Amy Grant is fantastic, so shut-up!

Really? What has she done for you? She doesn't even want you to have equal rights.

It's not the 80's anymore and the days of worshipping straight women and calling them your "divas" is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 100April 25, 2013 6:26 PM

You don't know what she wants r100, that's why there's this thread. Don't stone her just because she decides not to tell you what she believes.

by Anonymousreply 101April 25, 2013 8:08 PM

This is so typical of DL. If some black singer had said exactly the same thing that this bitch did, all you racist queens would be demanding a complete boycott of her work and calling her the vilest names you could think of. But because it's a lily white Christian girl, we are all expected to be compassionate and understanding of her unwillingness to take a stance.

She's a fucking hypocritical cunt and so are the ones defending this bitch. She can go fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 102April 25, 2013 8:25 PM

R102 Thank you. I'm so sick of this double-standard shit.

Gay men and their white trash divas. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 103April 25, 2013 8:29 PM

[quote] I just want to stress that the journey of faith brings us into community...

Oh, bro-THER!

by Anonymousreply 104April 25, 2013 8:37 PM

Well I'm white and I can't stand this pious twat or her annoying fans. Fuck her, she has no moral courage and she's just a whore for money--can't offend her "base" so she plays this game instead. Disgusting. WWJD? Not that!

by Anonymousreply 105April 25, 2013 8:40 PM

Posts like R103's are the reason I constantly feel the need to point out that nearly half of DL posters are straight women. It's very frustrating to see every ignorant attitude expressed on this board attributed to gay men.

by Anonymousreply 106April 25, 2013 8:58 PM

R106 You idiot - I'm a man. I'm just telling the truth. So many white gay men will defend these stupid ass straight female "divas" and worship them when they not only don't give a shit about you, but don't think you deserve equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 107April 25, 2013 9:01 PM

Oh, Jesus fucking Christ.

What I'm asking, R107, that you could at least consider the possibility that some of the posters who are irrationally defending Amy Grant in this thread might not be gay men. Unless your agenda is purely to condemn all gay men, in which case I'll just get out of your way with all my inconvenient [italic]agreeing with you.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 108April 25, 2013 9:10 PM

And so many white gay men won't, R7. It's really amazing how you think you can discern the race, gender and sexual orientation of each poster just from which opinion they're expressing (because members of each race all act and think exactly alike?) yet you choose to ignore the many posts in this thread that are critical of Amy Grant. I guess all of those opinions are from non-whites and or non-gays?

by Anonymousreply 109April 25, 2013 9:10 PM

Keep worshipping and defending your "divas" who don't want you to have equal rights and donate money to anti-gay politicians.

by Anonymousreply 110April 25, 2013 9:18 PM

...said the troll, to no one.

by Anonymousreply 111April 25, 2013 9:19 PM

[quote]Amy sweetheart, if you're not with us, you're against us. Is that 'cut and dried' enough for you?

You're the one being against everyone, by being judgemental. Talk about the kettle calling the pot!

by Anonymousreply 112April 25, 2013 11:17 PM

[quote]Is her husband still a fat load?

What a nasty, childish comment. Did that make you feel better?

by Anonymousreply 113April 25, 2013 11:21 PM

r102 Exactly. Funny that Mary J Blige supports gay marriage, but Datalounge still went in on her for not being supportive of gay people. Yikes. Good to know gay white males still take advantage of their whiteness.

by Anonymousreply 114April 25, 2013 11:33 PM

Why is Amy so ashamed of her "feelings"?

by Anonymousreply 115April 25, 2013 11:38 PM

Amy had some great songs. "Baby, Baby", "Every Heartbeat" and my face "Galileo."

by Anonymousreply 116April 26, 2013 12:43 AM

Amy Grant has written some good songs, but her political contributions speak louder than words.

by Anonymousreply 117April 26, 2013 1:06 AM

Oh wow! She contributed to so many wingnuts. Not just mainstream GOP, but actual wingnuts:

Marsha Blackburn Katherine "Bush v Gore" Harris Bill Frist Bob Corker GW Bush reelection

She hasn't contributed to any GOP since 2008. That's an improvement.

I don't hate Amy Grant. She is the product of her upbringing. She hasn't spewed any hatred towards any group of people.

by Anonymousreply 118April 26, 2013 1:15 AM

Gay people are impossible. if she had said that she was in favor of gay marriage, then you would be criticizing her for not marching in parades and waiving a gay flay at her concerts to support the "gays". If she had said that she was not in favor of it, then you would be criticizing her for being homophobic and calling for a boycott of her and anyone else that she associates with. There is no winning with gay people. I am a gay man and its none of your business how i feel about gay marriage. What could it possibly matter how Amy feels about the issue? she is a contemporary Christian singer. Thats what she does. How she feels about current events or current social issues is HER business, not anybody else's. I think that she handled the question very well, considering the interview was about her new CD and not about gay marriage. Its not her place to judge anyone for anything. Even though a lot of DL has decided to judge her and her life without knowing her personally. Just give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 119April 26, 2013 1:37 AM

[quote]Amy Grant has written some good songs, but her political contributions speak louder than words.

No it does not, r117.

by Anonymousreply 120April 26, 2013 1:59 AM

Good songs? What is this, 1992? Homophobe and half-wit.

by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2013 2:03 AM

This is a gay website, R119. Take your homophobia and get the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 122April 26, 2013 2:09 AM

This is a gay website. I am a gay man. Not homophobic. I completely agree with r51 and r119. Some gays can't be appeased or make sense. A lot of simplistic thinking is involved.

Why is it necessary to know the political affiliation of every entertainer and their position on gay marriage before they are sanctioned as acceptable to like or not? What is up with that. Very american way of thinking.

Don't bother pulling out the "self loathing" accusations either. I am exactly the opposite. Confident and happy with who I am. Amy Grant is not hurting me.

I live in Canada and am married for almost 8 years to my husband/partner. We don't give a fuck what strangers think of our life or union, but we fight all necessary battles for ourselves and the rights of other gay people. Amy Grant is no enemy to me. Grow a pair r122.

It is always a sweet day when Mary J or Dolly Parton come out in full support of gay marriage, at the risk of losing some fans dollars. It is not however required, nor do I believe it to be the largest or most important social issue of our time. Celebrities and public figures are continually baited with this question in the USA. Why?

Just because marriage is legal in my country for all people does not mean that everyone supports me. That is wishful and facile thinking y'all.

3,2,1.....attack.

by Anonymousreply 123April 26, 2013 4:50 AM

I love listening to Amy Grant, so the rest of you can shut-up!

by Anonymousreply 124April 26, 2013 5:21 AM

[quote]I love listening to Amy Grant, so the rest of you can shut-up!

Too bad the only thing she loves about you is your money.

by Anonymousreply 125April 26, 2013 7:30 AM

I love shutting up, so the rest of you can listen to Amy Grant.

by Anonymousreply 126April 26, 2013 4:20 PM

Who fucking cares?

by Anonymousreply 127April 26, 2013 4:36 PM

IFHH

by Anonymousreply 128April 26, 2013 4:58 PM

R123 = the classic "Uncle Tom". Some choice excerpts:

[quote]Some gays can't be appeased or make sense. A lot of simplistic thinking is involved...It is always a sweet day when Mary J or Dolly Parton come out in full support of gay marriage, at the risk of losing some fans dollars. It is not however required, nor do I believe it to be the largest or most important social issue of our time. Celebrities and public figures are continually baited with this question in the USA. Why?....Just because marriage is legal in my country for all people does not mean that everyone supports me. That is wishful and facile thinking y'all.

Where to start? You seem quite determined to minimize and dismiss the importance of equal rights. Who says it must be "the largest or most important" issue before public figures can be asked about it? I'm pretty sure the national conversation can handle more than one topic at a time.

Amy Grant sings of love, tolerance and not judging others, and she apparently has a sizable gay fanbase that even she has publicly acknowledged. These LGBT fans support her with their purchases of music, concert tickets and merchandise, and are at least partly responsible for the riches and perqs she enjoys as a successful celebrity recording artist.

All of that on top of her outspoken, ongoing and public affiliation with conservative christians and her shrewd use of her faith to attract a lucrative following in that world...it's entirely appropriate and, in fact, responsible journalism, for her to be asked about a social issue that so obviously (and a bit uniquely, compared to other artists) divides her fanbase.

There are few working, current artists today who can be said said to appeal primarily to both conservative Christians and LGBT people. She's naturally ripe for this question and I'm surprised it hasn't been asked of her sooner. Since Massachussets passed gay marriage almost a decade ago, some states had civil unions even earlier, and the first European countries to recognize gay relationships occured nearly a quarter century ago, she has had ample time to "evolve" or at least work out a more diplomatic, nuanced answer,

And your dismissive tone towards your fellow gay men and women, R123, is offensive and off-putting, especially when used to defend a wealthy straight person who, despite support from gay fans, can't or won't reciprocate that support with a meaningful (and potentially heart-and-mind-changing) stance on this issue. You sound like no gay person I know, at least not any who are truly out and proud.

She is a coward and prostitute, plain and simple. Like most of his alledged followers, she chooses to do the exact opposite of what he preached. Rather than use her influence and position to stand up for a marginalized group and risk retribution (a description that practically defines Christ's message), she turns her back on them to avoid damaging her potential earnings. Beyond sad. And definitely sinful.

Jesus wept.

by Anonymousreply 129April 26, 2013 6:10 PM

r129

It's Uncle Marco, to you babe.

Uncle Tom is a character necessary to your country. The South Africa of North America.

Don't bait people. Jesus weeps when you lie and whine and misquote, son.

by Anonymousreply 130April 26, 2013 8:15 PM

one of my favorites

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 26, 2013 9:10 PM

Thanks r131, I love that song!

by Anonymousreply 132April 26, 2013 9:28 PM

That's What LOVE is For!

by Anonymousreply 133June 5, 2014 2:25 AM

That bitch has always pinged for me.

by Anonymousreply 134June 5, 2014 2:40 AM

Amy Grant responded with a big, evasive, bullshit song and dance in response to a question about same-sex marriage when it would be so much more courageous and the right thing to do to just simply say, "I support it."

That is, of course, unless she doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 135June 5, 2014 3:57 AM

I picked the corn out of Amy grants shit and ate it.

by Anonymousreply 136June 5, 2014 4:00 AM

R135, evangelical Repugs don't support gay marriage. Check a page back about her political donations.

by Anonymousreply 137June 5, 2014 4:02 AM

Rule of thumb for professional Xians like her: She'd support gay marriage if she wanted to marry a woman. (Just like she changed her tune on divorce and remarriage when she wanted to dump Gary for Vince.) Until then, she's not going to upset the applecart and take a public stand either way... which tells you a lot about a person. As do her "protest too much" comments in that vein. Translation: Amy Grant does not support gay marriage but is happy to have gay fans.

by Anonymousreply 138June 5, 2014 3:54 PM

Amy Grant is just "slow"

by Anonymousreply 139June 5, 2014 5:30 PM

I went to middle school and high school with Amy.During those years she was extremely kind and friendly.She was the perfect "good" girl.

She came from a very wealthy background and was quite religious for a teen.

I haven't seen or spoken with her since graduation. I have a hard time associating "homophobe" with the girl I knew. I'm certain she treats gays well in her real life but she's a coward in her public life.

by Anonymousreply 140June 6, 2014 9:30 AM

oh good god, leave her alone

by Anonymousreply 141June 6, 2014 9:43 AM

I don't much care for Amy but I love Vince Gill. He might just be the nicest person I've ever met.

by Anonymousreply 142June 6, 2014 10:08 AM

Why would anyone want to give an answer to people who flip out over trivialities like can vs canned or dry vs dried. So many people are experts at criticizing and misintepreting.

by Anonymousreply 143June 6, 2014 10:18 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that some of the most persecuted people in the world are also some of the cruelest and least tolerant. But then again, it is the DL.

by Anonymousreply 144June 6, 2014 10:32 AM

Glad to hear that R142. Vincent Gill is just about the sexiest guy I can think of. I've had a crush on him for years. Oh, if only he were gay and single...

by Anonymousreply 145June 7, 2014 11:27 PM

[quote]oh good god, leave her alone

Most of us have...since about 1994,

by Anonymousreply 146June 8, 2014 1:11 AM

That model Jme Stein from her Baby Baby and Good For Me videos was a D.R.E.A.M.B.O.A.T.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 8, 2014 1:20 AM

YES HE WAS.

by Anonymousreply 148June 8, 2014 2:31 AM

To be honest, I cannot say that i would put down money to buy a ticket for an Amy Grant concert or recording.

Having said that, I find it refreshing that a celebrity -- especially a show business celebrity -- isn't going to share his or her political views.

If I want to see a discussion on politics, I will turn on C-SPAN.

All that I ask of a performer is that he or she entertain me. I paid good money and I expect a good show. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have friends and family members whose political views are 180 degrees from mine. That doesn't mean I love them less. We can all have a civil discussion among family and friends.

Why is that gay men obsess about show business. How come gay men don't discuss gay men and lesbians in corporate boardrooms? or in governor's mansions, county courthouses and municipal buildings; in laboratories? etc. I guess that they are too busy listening to "Liza With A 'Z'" or "My Name Is Barbra" for the millionth time

by Anonymousreply 149June 8, 2014 3:03 AM

[quote]Having said that, I find it refreshing that a celebrity -- especially a show business celebrity -- isn't going to share his or her political views.

But gay marriage isn't just a fucking "political view"; it's an equal rights view. And either you're for equal rights or you're not. If someone can't flat-out say they support equal rights for gays, I have no time for them.

by Anonymousreply 150June 8, 2014 3:13 AM

We don't need her. We don't need to pander to a homophobe. Either you support the idea of love marriage for ALL or you don't.

Yes, the issue is cut and dried or cut and dry, take your pick. Deal with the consequences. She'd still have fans.

by Anonymousreply 151June 8, 2014 3:18 AM

She has a great head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 152June 8, 2014 5:04 PM

The truth is I worship Mammon, not Yahweh! I have no real convictions, I just want to keep rolling in money from my fans!

by Anonymousreply 153June 8, 2014 6:14 PM

Amy Grant emitted big dyke energy in the original Good For Me music video. The record company forced her to reshoot it because of the lezzie overtones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 21, 2020 10:23 PM

Boris, bumping an Amy Grant thread from 2013 isn't going to change anyone's mind.

by Anonymousreply 155October 21, 2020 10:27 PM

Chip and Jo are vague like that too - "We're rooting for you."

Well, fuck rooting for me, either stand up for our marriages or fuck yourself with a rusty razor

by Anonymousreply 156October 21, 2020 10:29 PM

Always liked her ex sister in law Beth Chapman better.

by Anonymousreply 157October 21, 2020 10:31 PM

Has Amy ever gone on Ellen's show? When Ellen was trying to be the next Meg Ryan in "Mister Wrong", Amy recorded the movie soundtrack's lead single. (And it"s worth noting Amy looks very bad girl in the video. She should have done more of this.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 21, 2020 11:20 PM

R150. You are correct. I am tired of hearing that this is a religious or political issue. It is an equal rights issue and must be addressed accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 159October 22, 2020 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!