Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Secret AIDS deaths

Did any stars manage to hide their deaths?

by Anonymousreply 21605/27/2014

They hid their deaths so well that everyone still thinks they're alive.

by Anonymousreply 104/21/2013

Margaret Thatcher.

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2013

Michael Landon?

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2013

If they did

would they know?

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2013

I can confirm Raul Julia and Henry Mancini.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2013

I believe all died of cancer except for Hensen who died of pneumonia, unrelated to HIV (at the hospital where I work). On what planet is DL a reliable source for anything except speculation and gossip.

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2013

All of those people in Aurora, CO. James Holmes is innocent, guys!

by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2013

Miles Davis was rumored

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2013

Raul Julia's food poisoning death always sounded suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2013

I can also confirm that Jim Henson's death had nothing to do with AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2013

Kenneth Lay. Whoops, he's probably not dead!

by Anonymousreply 1504/22/2013

Liberace. Curious how this will be handled in the HBO movie.

by Anonymousreply 1604/22/2013

Luther Vandross?

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2013

Wow. I was just about to post a what ever happened to thread about Luther Vandross. I had no idea he died. His music pops up on my Pandora often.

by Anonymousreply 2204/22/2013

Michael Landon's death certificate is at link below. Cause of death: Pancreatic cancer.

Raul Julia I could see; he seemed to have wasting for a while, particularly in the last Addams Family movie.

by Anonymousreply 2304/22/2013

The brunette of Siegfried and Roy.

by Anonymousreply 2404/22/2013

[quote]Some guy from Knots Landing insisted he was losing weight from a water melon diet. (he was black too....you can't make this stuff up)

Your flippant wording is very douchey. "Some guy...", "he was black too..." What an asshole.

Anyway, his name was Larry Riley. He had a very strapping physique before he started noticeably losing weight.

by Anonymousreply 2604/22/2013

Raul Julia didn't die from AIDS. HIs symptoms didn't match, and he died at a time when therapies were available. Also, he wasn't gay, from all indications, for what that's worth - his life style didn't seem to suggest an HIV infection from non-sexual sources.

The family never said what the problem was that started the chain of events that killed him. The rumors at the time were that he had surgery for stomach cancer, always a tricky business. He lost weight (characteristic of metastasis) and had the food poisoning after the initial surgery. He kept working, but weakened and finally was hospitalized for abdominal pain, had a stroke, went into a coma, and died. Supposedly.

I think the family - after his wishes - kept the cancer quiet and have not talked since his death.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miles Davis died with, if not from AIDS. Howard Rollins also comes to mind. His lymphoma seemed associative with HIV, to me.

by Anonymousreply 2704/22/2013

I remember Amanda Blake's (GUNSMOKE) death was initially not reported as being AIDS. She contracted it from her husband.

by Anonymousreply 2804/22/2013

I wonder if she got it from letting him do her in the ass, R28.

I had the same thought about Tina Chow, who was one of the first hetero women to die of AIDS. She had an affair with a "bisexual" guy.

Part of the reason why AIDS didn't sweep through the het population is that it's much harder to catch through the vag.

by Anonymousreply 2904/22/2013

Lenny Baker of "Next Stop, Greenwich Village".

by Anonymousreply 3204/22/2013

[quote] Raul Julia didn't die from AIDS. HIs symptoms didn't match, and he died at a time when therapies were available

There were therapies available then (AZT, Videx and Hivid -which was eventually discontinued years later because it was so ineffective), but they really didn't extend life for very long

by Anonymousreply 3304/23/2013

Arthur Ash was not a secret aids death, of course, but there were rumors the cause was a secret.

I also seem to recall subsequent rumors surrounding the Shah of Iran (he would have been an early casualty) and the choreographer Jack Cole.

Later in, George Peppard's was another death with associated rumors.

And of course, MALCOLM FORBES.

by Anonymousreply 3404/23/2013

Wasn't Jim Henson's death sudden? I don't remember any period of decline or sickness.

by Anonymousreply 3504/23/2013

[quote]Al Sharpton in 5, 4, 3....

He looks like a male Star Jones with that massive head and a shrunken body.

by Anonymousreply 3604/23/2013

r27, That was mentioned outright in a bio of Davis I read (Swed was the author).

I was pissed off that there was no mention of his sexuality, yet the author stated flat out that it was possible he died from AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 3704/23/2013

To the Al Sharpton posters: This doesn't have anything to do with AIDS per se, but a very close male friend who formerly moonlighted at a venue in Chicago where Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton held "inspirational" cultural presentations in the early 80's said that Al Sharpton was all over the 18-21 year old boys like himself. This guy is not homophobic in the least, so I can't imagine him saying it for shock value. I think his emaciated look stems from gastric bypass surgery which tends to give one's face a very drawn look. Plus, I'd bet he eats like a bird now in hopes of staying slim.

And you guys do know that cancer is one of the contributing factors which can cause one's HIV status to progress into full blown AIDS, don't you? If you have an immune suppressed internal system you are less able to prevent the cancer cells we all have in our body from mutating healthy cells into becoming malignant and producing tumors... hence the term AIDS Related Cancer. For obvious reasons, many prefer to have their obits read cancer than ARC.

by Anonymousreply 3804/23/2013

Roy Cohn threatend to ruin anyone who speculated he had AIDS. He thought the "secret" went to his grave with him.

by Anonymousreply 3904/23/2013

James Coco (“heart attack”)

Perry Ellis (“Acute Encephalitis” – that one took the cake)

by Anonymousreply 4004/23/2013

Jensen Ackles - 2024

by Anonymousreply 4204/23/2013

Justin Biebler

by Anonymousreply 4304/23/2013

The rumor in certain social circles over in Puerto Rico was that Raul Julia fell ill with cancer. He kept it to himself in order to remain insurable and, in essence, played Russian Roulette with his health. That was the rumor and I have no way to know if it is true or not at all.

by Anonymousreply 4404/23/2013

R33, your information is wrong and silly. Many treated cases of full-blown AIDS, not to mention HIV infection, extending to the early 1990s saw and have seen life expectancy extended. I am following a sample of such men (all gay males) and none have died, nor have the five of my personal acquaintances and relatives whose AIDS extend to the late 1980s.

None of which means that lives weren't lost and continue to be lost to AIDS, treatment or not. The point is that your information is unhelpfully wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4504/23/2013

I always wondered about the sudden death of Paul Lynde. His death certificate says "heart attack", but a newspaper article at the time claimed he weighed about 95 lbs at the time of his death. I also remember the official cause of death was not immediately released.

by Anonymousreply 4604/23/2013

Al Sharpton is so polarizing that if he was on the DL, the NY Post would have had that story.

He definitely had gastric bypass.

by Anonymousreply 4704/23/2013

Bin Ladin. He took big cocks up his stinky shitter for years.

by Anonymousreply 4804/23/2013

I always wondered about Eazy-E's death and the story put out.

Only because much of the black community seems as inherently awful to its own over being gay as white hillbilly bible-bashers are.

by Anonymousreply 4904/23/2013

Monty Clift's death was labeled heart attack and he weighed about 95lbs so I guess a thin person can have a heart attack. Probably from all the abuse the body took over the years.

Wasn't Ray Sharkey's (Wiseguy) cause of death kinda of a secret? He died from AIDS from drug use.

by Anonymousreply 5004/23/2013

Why would a man on the downlow want to begin an AIDS-preventing drug program- no matter what wonder drugs were available? That would out him immediately.

by Anonymousreply 5104/23/2013

Elaine Stritch had a secret death two years ago. She was replaced by a Muppet and nobody has noticed.

by Anonymousreply 5204/23/2013

Luther was rumored to be poz.

by Anonymousreply 5304/23/2013

[quote]I always wondered about Eazy-E's death and the story put out.

I'm sorry but he was a very ignorant man. He did an interview ages ago where he claimed that he had many ladies a night and that he made sure to take Tetracycline after having had sex with them sans a condom.

Sorry. But he was as ignorant as he was self destructive. It's all a damn' shame if anything and I take no pleasure in relating any of this at all.

by Anonymousreply 5404/24/2013

They say Rev. James Cleveland, but it's all hush-hush...

by Anonymousreply 5504/24/2013

[R54] We're all grown ups here, and I'm reasonably sure that few DL members think that a straight man is likely to sero-convert by having lots of sex with women. It's not a racial or gay thing...it's a physiological thing. Men are secretors, woman are not. Unless the woman is on her period and the man's dick is covered in open sores or cuts, it's damn near impossible. So many Black folks say. "no way Eazy got AIDS from a man." I say, if you weren't in hiss asshole, how would you know?

by Anonymousreply 5604/25/2013

Raul Julia's illness was never been revealed. He would show up looking awful(see picture) He "got sick" and died. Read Frank Langella 's book. He was Julia's best friend and even says he was completely heterosexual, but was in love with Raul and the only guy he would have slept with. But he too say Raul "got sick" and never revealed what it was. It's a duck.

by Anonymousreply 5704/25/2013

R56 - you do know that HIV is present in a woman's vaginal secretions, right? I'm not talking about when she is on her period, but the natural secretions during intercourse. It is possible to contract HIV if these fluids enter the tip of the penis. The risk goes up quite a bit more if the male has any sores/abrasions on his dick. Check out aids.org, thebody.com, etc for more information.

by Anonymousreply 5804/25/2013

Miles Davis sure looked like AIDS face with a touch of AIDS dementia thrown in. The sunken ashy features but particularly the bulging , vacant crazy eyes.

Switching gears, although Princess Margaret's death was attributed to declining health due to a series of strokes, lung and liver disease from smoking and drinking and complications from burns to her feet, some gossip says she caught HIV from a lover who later died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 5904/25/2013

Jaden Smith

by Anonymousreply 6004/25/2013

Al Sharpton is gay?

by Anonymousreply 6104/25/2013

A famous down low athlete who died from AIDS did not get it from a blood transfusion. Why do you think the hospital and blood bank were not sued.

by Anonymousreply 6204/25/2013

Miles Davis' death was acknowledged to be from AIDS-related complications. I remember reading about it way back in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 6304/25/2013

[quote]A famous down low athlete who died from AIDS did not get it from a blood transfusion.

Why are you hiding his identity?

[quote]Why do you think the hospital and blood bank were not sued.

Depends when it happened. They couldn't be sued on the days before HIV could be screened. Why do you think so many cases of AIDS due to transfusion happened to start with?!

by Anonymousreply 6404/25/2013

r62

Arthur Ashe? He's dead. He doesn't care if you use his name.

by Anonymousreply 6504/25/2013

[quote]Luther was rumored to be poz.

Are we talking about Martin Luthor? Or just Luther Vandross?

by Anonymousreply 6604/25/2013

Abe Vigoda.

by Anonymousreply 6704/25/2013

[quote]Abe Vigoda

And Luise Ranier

by Anonymousreply 6804/25/2013

[quote] Are we talking about Martin Luthor? Or just Luther Vandross?

Lex Luthor, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 6904/25/2013

Arthur Ashe's AIDS death wasn't kept secret, but the CAUSE of his infection sure was.

by Anonymousreply 7004/25/2013

Isaac Asimov.

by Anonymousreply 7104/25/2013

ROTF@r69!!!

by Anonymousreply 7204/25/2013

Was Bill Blass's cause of death reported as AIDS at the time?

by Anonymousreply 7304/25/2013

Danny Kaye

by Anonymousreply 7404/25/2013

The only one I really suspect is Easy-E, like r49 mentions.

by Anonymousreply 7504/25/2013

Linda Day George's hubby....can't remember his name.

by Anonymousreply 7605/01/2013

I remember Bob Hope saying that "some big names" actually died of Aids; but was listed as something else. No one followed up on that question.

Always wondered about Howard Hughes. His death was so similar to those of Aids victims.

by Anonymousreply 7705/01/2013

I don't believe Luther had AIDS. He suffered from some ailments plus the gaining and dropping weight took a toll.

Guru (the rapper)

by Anonymousreply 7805/01/2013

I thought Suge Knight had Eazy infected. Google around. And Ice Cubes album was called Lethal Injection. Cripes I sound like some weirdo on the Johnny depp thread but there's a lot of evidence.

by Anonymousreply 7905/01/2013

I've heard this time and time again, but what are the circumstances under which he was suppose to have been stuck? r79

by Anonymousreply 8105/01/2013

Lady Bird Johnson.

She was big into sharing needles.

by Anonymousreply 8205/01/2013

I wonder about John Inman. He allegedly died of hepatitis.

by Anonymousreply 8305/01/2013

NASCAR driver Tim Richmond.

by Anonymousreply 8405/01/2013

Eazy was a crackhead and blackout drunk. He was a pretty easy target.

by Anonymousreply 8505/01/2013

Steve McQueen?

by Anonymousreply 8605/01/2013

I wondered about McQueen too. His treatments in Mexico with apricot pits sounded extrememly desperate.

by Anonymousreply 8705/01/2013

r46, Paul Lynde died of a heart attack while using poppers. The guy he shared them with was in the bed when Paul was stricken. Those details weren't in the Obit.

by Anonymousreply 8905/13/2013

Look, there is absolutely no disrespect intended. I was a huge Eazy E fan. HUGE. But it is such a disservice to the funding powers that be to pretend that Magic and Eric Wright sero-converted from hetero-sex. The money for a vaccine and a cure needs to be directed where it is most needed. If women caused men to sero-convert, 50% of the white male population in this country would be poz.

Now, if you have info that Eazy was an intravenous drug user who shared needles, i could buy that theory. But considering the who's who of Black Celebritydom are nearly all on the DL, why would Eazy, Dre's good friend, be any different?

by Anonymousreply 9105/14/2013

I remember reading in a newspaper that Eazy E died of AIDS. Why are people pretending it wasn't AIDS? That's just pathetic.

And as someone stated, Magic Johnson is believed to have gotten HIV from sex with men. When I used to do AIDS education back in the 90's, many of the speakers with HIV would talk about drugs, and murder and everything else EXCEPT the fact that they were gay/bi. What a complete fucking disservice to the kids, but even AIDS wouldn't pull those speakers out of the closet.

"I am following a sample of such men (all gay males) and none have died, nor have the five of my personal acquaintances and relatives whose AIDS extend to the late 1980s."

Your anecdotal evidence is meangingless. I'm in an HIV support group and three out of seven members have died within the last year. All your palaver in service of keeping Julia in the closet... I've lived too long to be surprised by how much people are willing to sacrifice to the closet, but I'll never stop being disgusted by it.

by Anonymousreply 9205/14/2013

When I was working as a flight attendant there was a very specific time, I think around 1982-3) where airlines were fighting to keep AIDS patients of the aircraft(not so much because folks thought it was easily communicable, but because it upset other passengers too much). During this brief time many men were flying home east from the west coast to die at their family's home. I know what a man looks like when he dies from AIDS before all the meds were on the market. Raul Julia looked exactly like that when he died. And so did Henry Mancini(The Pink Panther and Blake Edwards best friend.)

by Anonymousreply 9305/14/2013

If AIDS cannot be passed from woman to man, then please explain the apocalyptic amount of AIDS victims in Sub-Saharan Africa. Surely not all of the MILLIONS of men who are positive in Africa and many other parts of the world can ALL be gay.

Think before you post and realize that you might be spreading dangerous misinformation. Vaginal secretions carry the virus. If a man has a small cut on his penis then he'll get the virus. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 9405/14/2013

NO case not closed. The people of sub Saharan Africa's immune systems are so compromised by the lack of clean water and other diseases, that they have a life expectancy of @35.

Unlike in the USA, a person with a normal immune system can come into contact with HIV and not ser-convert. It happens frequently. But when someone whose body is swimming with every parasite and critter known to man becomes HIV+, they have little to no chance.

My brother is a researcher/MD at the CDC in ATL, and he has assured me that the cases of female to male HIV transmission is 99.9% limited to IV needle sharing. You may not want to hear this, but isn't it better to know the truth so the government and big pharma can spend all the research funding where it's needed? If women spread it to men, there would be a huge portion of the male hetero population who are poz.

by Anonymousreply 9505/14/2013

More about George Peppard please.

I read in a book that Charles Laughton might have died of AIDS, but I don't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 9605/14/2013

R88, details about Warhol, please.

by Anonymousreply 9705/14/2013

So if r95 is correct then AIDS is primarily a gay male disease.

by Anonymousreply 9805/14/2013

R88,I heard that story about Warhol shortly after he died but then I heard that the night before he was admitted to hospital(and died a little over 24 hours after that) he was at a party. Now we know that parties were his life,but was it really to that extent that he didn`t want to miss a single party until his last moment? How was he standing on his feet then?

by Anonymousreply 9905/14/2013

No, r98. Women still get AIDS from sharing needles and having sex with MSM. r98 said your chances of getting AIDS from a woman via heterosexual sex are miniscule.

My partner and I are currently waiting on test results. A FB of ours told us he tested positive. The oral test was negative but he tested positive with the .....forget the name...test.

We also tested negative with the oral test. Waiting on the other test results.

by Anonymousreply 10005/14/2013

Interesting R93.

by Anonymousreply 10105/14/2013

How about any unmarried male who died of "pneumonia" from 1980 - 2000.

by Anonymousreply 10205/14/2013

"Miles Davis sure looked like AIDS face with a touch of AIDS dementia thrown in. The sunken ashy features but particularly the bulging , vacant crazy eyes."

His looks could have also resulted from years of drug addiction or alcoholism or some other physical malady.

Remember all the AIDS rumors about Richard Pryor? He looked ghastly, so it had to be AIDS, right? Well, it turned out he had MS. His death was slow and agonizing, but it wasn't AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 10305/14/2013

Steve McQueen, as it's been well-established, died of cancer. Plus, how would he have gotten AIDS? Sorry to dash your hopes, but he wasn't gay. He didn't use dirty needles and he wasn't a hemophiliac. Although he'd been a heavy smoker, it was later determined that the cancer was probably the direct result of massive exposure to asbestos while removing asbestos lagging from pipes aboard a troop ship during his time in the Marines.

by Anonymousreply 10405/14/2013

"Danny Kaye"

Danny Kaye's death was tied to a contaminated blood transfusion, but it wasn't contaminated with AIDS, it was contaminated with hepatitis.

He died of a heart attack, following a bout with hepatitis.

by Anonymousreply 10505/14/2013

Big Kitty from Gunsmoke secretly died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 10605/14/2013

R106 It was no secret when she died.

by Anonymousreply 10705/14/2013

R108, you meant "than her." You should have meant "than she."

by Anonymousreply 11005/14/2013

When did Liza and Peter Allen divorce? Was it before AIDS started spreading?

by Anonymousreply 11105/15/2013

If you go on You Tube you can watch "And the Band Played On" the movie adaptation of Randy Shilts' story of the AIDS virus and how it was ignored during the Reagan years.

At the end, and even during the movie as the body cunt rises, there are dozens and dozens of famous people who died "after a long illness" or who died of "pneumonia."

If you haven't seen it it's worth watching. If you have, it's worth seeing again.

by Anonymousreply 11205/15/2013

[quote]body cunt

Roy Cohn?

by Anonymousreply 11305/15/2013

Alvin Ailey?

by Anonymousreply 11405/15/2013

I'm not sure if it's a secret that he died of AIDS but was Dan Hartman out?

by Anonymousreply 11508/15/2013

[quote]Raul Julia didn't die from AIDS. HIs symptoms didn't match, and he died at a time when therapies were available.

In that recent documentary about Act UP they said 1995 was the worst year they faced. (I guess because hope was fading about the available drugs)

by Anonymousreply 11608/15/2013

[quote]Andy Warhol died of AIDS but New york Hospital and the art world in general covered it up so the market for his works wouldn't go south. I got this from the then director of the hospital, whose wife was a New York State judge. they frequented my restaurant on the Upper East Side.

This is NOT TRUE.

by Anonymousreply 11708/15/2013

Steve McQueen was bi- One of many sources at link

by Anonymousreply 11808/15/2013

Richard Nixon

by Anonymousreply 11908/15/2013

I knew an African-American New Yorker in the Navy back in the 80s who went to the same church were Rev. James Cleveland preached and said that he was a big ol' queen. So was this guy IIRC. He was engaged to be married, but constantly talked about homosexual men and which famous people were gay or not. He also knew about Luther Vandross and Keith Barrow AND Stephen Burrows...could not have been straight. Nice body too.

by Anonymousreply 12008/15/2013

Larry Reilly of Knot's Landing appeared on TV saying he was dying from Watermelons.

(no racial pun intended...this really happened folks...look it up)

by Anonymousreply 12108/15/2013

r79

At the end of Dr.Dre's video he goes to Eazy E's grave.

I thought that was weird and out of no where the first time I saw the video.

by Anonymousreply 12208/15/2013

[quote]The people of sub Saharan Africa's immune systems are so compromised by the lack of clean water and other diseases, that they have a life expectancy of @35.

A friend and I were working on a project in one of those nations. At age 38, we were among the oldest men in that country.

by Anonymousreply 12308/15/2013

I know a few guys from the mid-late 90's Manhattan that could spin a Luther Vandross story or two. They might all be dead from free-basing, though.

by Anonymousreply 12408/16/2013

What about those celebrities who are alive, living with it, and pretend it doesn't exist? Such as Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. I would include Jon Claude van Damme, but he was drummed out off of the A-list when he made out with his boyfriend at a party in 1994 or 1995. Pretty harsh, huh?

by Anonymousreply 12508/16/2013

Van Damme was never A-List.

by Anonymousreply 12608/16/2013

[quote] What about those celebrities who are alive, living with it, and pretend it doesn't exist?

Like Courtney Love?

by Anonymousreply 12708/16/2013

The AIDS epidemic in Africa has been challenged for a long time. It has been said that (a)if the epidemic did exist, millions more would be dead, and that (b)the figures have been tweaked so that African countries can get more aid (no pun intended)for malaria and typhus. Do a Google search for the Rolling Stone article on this subject.

The number of gay and lesbian people in the black church is amazing. A good friend of mine who is black told me that to this day the choir is a perfect place for a dl black teenage guy.

by Anonymousreply 12808/16/2013

KiKi! KiKI! This board is too funny! "Al Sharpton in....."

by Anonymousreply 12908/16/2013

Hallelujah!

by Anonymousreply 13008/16/2013

r128, the reason for the inconsistent numbers was put forward in a book called The Origin of AIDS, by a researcher named Pepin.

His conclusion was that reusing needles in remote areas was responsible for AIDS spreading from very local areas to the whole continent.

He documented a very specific timeline. I wasn't totally convinced, especially about Haiti, but it was interesting reading.

by Anonymousreply 13108/16/2013

R118, the source for that link is Darwin Porter's book. He makes up the most outlandish BS. I wouldn't be surprised if he claimed Mickey Mouse is gay.

Sorry everyone, I'm not trying to divert the top at all this came to my mind as I was reading this thread. I read an article around a year ago that Jesse Jackson. Jesse Jackson was staying at a hotel and told one of the male employees he wanted him to help clean his room up. Jesse Jackson was staying in the hotel room because he had sex with a woman the night before. However, the man said Jesse Jackson stared at him and he unzipped his pants and demanded the guy give him a blow job. Apparently the guy sued Jackson for sexual harassment ,but it was settled out of court. Their most have been many other males in the past who were willing and did give Jackson a blow job if he was so confident. Why haven't I not herd about Jackson's bisexuality on DL before?

Has anyone on DL ever had sex with Jackson?

by Anonymousreply 13208/16/2013

Does anyone here think Aids goes back farther than the 80s? I think actor Lawrence Harvey might have died of AIDS. Remember this, what people thought was cancer some rich and famous men might have been dying of AIDS. Years ago people didn't have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 13308/16/2013

nah...r133 it would have spread like wildfire during the 60s

by Anonymousreply 13408/16/2013

This is scary... I know that educational level and socioeconomic status are big factors, but do you think all the bareback porn these days plays a part? Are young men just ignoring condoms and just taking their chances because the disease is treatable? I know it's not a death sentence anymore, but don't they know that it is still a fucking humongous burden on their lives?

by Anonymousreply 13508/16/2013

R135, my sister works at a sexual health clinic in a city if 3.5 million. Yes, there are young men who consider HIV a small wall to climb to be like all their friends.

I wish it weren't so.

by Anonymousreply 13608/16/2013

R104 and R132, read the diaries of Leo Lerman. Lerman casually tosses off an anecdote about a good looking guy at a party whom McQueen takes behind a tree and blows.

Really, wouldn't you wnat cock after having to look at Ali "Lady Ashley" MacGraw for years?

by Anonymousreply 13708/16/2013

Is Everyboday GAY??!!!

by Anonymousreply 13808/16/2013

r138 Take a dollar out of petty cash, THAT was the funniest post I've seen today.

by Anonymousreply 13908/16/2013

Wait a minute, Steve McQueen was a bottom? I find that hard to believe because I get the vibe that he would have been a top. What a sexy man!

by Anonymousreply 14008/17/2013

Lyle Alzado

by Anonymousreply 14108/17/2013

Remember that mysterious illness that caused Burt Reynolds to go into hiding back in the late 80s? There were reports of him falling into a deep depression. He might have even tried to commit suicide. There was talk at the time that he had AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 14208/17/2013

[quote]Doris Day is alive

That's what her former handlers want you to think.

by Anonymousreply 14308/17/2013

[quote]In that recent documentary about Act UP they said 1995 was the worst year they faced. (I guess because hope was fading about the available drugs)

How to Survive a Plague? Incredible piece of work. Any other year that would have won best documentary but Sugar Man couldn't be denied.

by Anonymousreply 14508/17/2013

[quote]Roy Cohn threatend to ruin anyone who speculated he had AIDS. He thought the "secret" went to his grave with him.

"You don't look so good, Roy."

by Anonymousreply 14601/31/2014

Darlings Jean Claude Van Damme was never on the A list let alone the B list or the D list for that matter......

by Anonymousreply 14701/31/2014

The soap industry is full of such cases: Terry Lester, Christopher Bernau, Joel Crothers, Ben Hendrickson. Dennis Parker's suicide was so shocking that it blew the lid off early on that his HIV diagnosis drove him to kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 14801/31/2014

I think I read that the earliest verifiable AIDS death took place in the early 1950s.

A scientist or doctor saved some tissue from the man who died, as he couldn't figure out what had killed the victim. The tissue was infected with the AIDS virus when it was tested 50 yrs later, which was only a few years ago, from what I remember.

This could indicate that AIDS was on a "slow burn" for a quarter century before exploding in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Think of all the celebrities of dubious sexual orientation that died of "heart attacks", "pneumonia", "cancer", etc, between the 1950s & 1980s & speculate at your leisure.

by Anonymousreply 14901/31/2014

R141 I think the thought has crossed my mind that Lyle actually died of AIDS (or some AIDS-related cancer). Definitely.

Interesting how a huge public campaign was mounted that blamed his terminal illness entirely on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 15001/31/2014

Howard Rollins' name came up earlier in this thread. God Gawd, Howard Rollins was fine. When I watched movies like "Ragtime","A Soldier's Story", and "Little Boy King" - I was distracted by his gorgeousness. And he backed it up by first-rate acting - what a talent. He porked out a little on "In the Heat of the Night" - too bad that he couldn't keep in shape ala Denzel Washington - but he remained a pleasure to watch.

He seemed to be a troubled soul - seems that I remember him getting into some bizarre trouble around the Georgia town where they filmed "In the Heat of the Night". In fact, his troubles became so untenable that he was replaced on the show by Carl Weathers. His self-destruction was sad. I wouldn't be surprised if he died of something AIDS-related.

by Anonymousreply 15101/31/2014

Can someone translate R121? There's nothing online about Larry Riley and "watermelons." He hid that he had AIDS by saying he had a kidney ailment, for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 15201/31/2014

"Read Frank Langella 's book. He was Julia's best friend and even says he was completely heterosexual, but was in love with Raul and the only guy he would have slept with"

Not sure about Raul Julia, but Frank Langella is NOT heterosexual

by Anonymousreply 15301/31/2014

[r33] et al. I knew Raul personally he was not the type to hide anything, if he had AIDS he would have been open about it. He had a wife whom he loved very much and would not have wanted to put her in harm's way. He drank an awful lot. He had a very bad liver among other things and had a stroke on top of everything else. I worked with him. He was the nicest, kindest, happy and OPEN man I ever knew.

by Anonymousreply 15401/31/2014

"What about those celebrities who are alive, living with it, and pretend it doesn't exist? Such as Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. I would include Jon Claude van Damme, but he was drummed out off of the A-list when he made out with his boyfriend at a party in 1994 or 1995. Pretty harsh, huh?"

There were rumors that Michael Stipe had AIDS

by Anonymousreply 15501/31/2014

[r140] Stop ...it. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 15601/31/2014

Yes (R141) I always thought Lyle Alzado died of AIDS

by Anonymousreply 15701/31/2014

I am so heterosexual. Just ask Raul.

by Anonymousreply 15801/31/2014

Back in the early 90s, a buddy of mine told me a joke that Magic Johnson was Gay and/or HIV+.

Within a couple of days, the story broke about his status.

My friend wasn't someone who would have been in a place where he'd be privy to up-coming Magic Johnson news.

It makes me wonder if MJs status resulted from something other than cheating on his wife with hundreds of thousands of women.

by Anonymousreply 15901/31/2014

[quote]There were rumors that Michael Stipe had AIDS

This is 100% true.

by Anonymousreply 16001/31/2014

Rumoured living celebs: Axel Rose & Elton John.

by Anonymousreply 16101/31/2014

Christopher George & Danny Kaye

by Anonymousreply 16202/01/2014

r163, details please!

by Anonymousreply 16302/01/2014

A Hispanic actor (Enrique?) on "Hill Street Blues" was still in the closest when he died of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 16402/01/2014

Regarding female to male HIV transmission in Africa, being uncircumcised is a huge risk factor. When you add the high incidence of STDs, another huge risk factor, then there is a probable explanation for the prevalence of AIDS there.

by Anonymousreply 16502/01/2014

R167, see R108.

by Anonymousreply 16602/01/2014

There were also rumors going around in the 80s or early 90s that Prince and/or Michael Jackson had AIDS

by Anonymousreply 16702/01/2014

Arthur Ashe got AIDS from gay sex?

by Anonymousreply 16804/23/2014

Well R171, no hospital was ever sued for his allegedly contracting AIDS from a blood transfusion so.....

by Anonymousreply 16904/23/2014

At the height of the plague it became such a graveyard that a social walker told me the Park Avenue matrons were bitching to each other that they had been reduced to using the the assistants of their hairdresser's assistants.

by Anonymousreply 17004/23/2014

by Anonymousreply 17104/23/2014

R172 I know hospitals have been sued in such incidences, but how do the plaintiffs have a case if an AIDS test wasn't available yet? Were the blood screeners supposed to ask more intrusive questions about the sexual habits of donors? I'm sure THAT would have gone over really well with gay rights activists. So what exactly were they supposed to do?

I'm sure if it happened to a family member of mine I would want to sue out of anger if nothing else, but I'm just wondering on what grounds the plaintiffs had a case.

by Anonymousreply 17204/23/2014

What about that other football player, John Matuszak?

by Anonymousreply 17304/23/2014

R172, I have no idea how Ashe contracted AIDS, but he had open heart surgery in 1979 and 1983. Blood supplies for transfusions weren't tested for HIV antibodies until 1985. The test only became available in March 1985.

If no hospital was testing blood products for HIV because a test hadn't yet been devised, it's hard to see how there would have been sufficient grounds for a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 17404/23/2014

R177 - that's what I was saying upthread. However, I do know of a family who sued a hospital in a class action suit - and won - even though the woman's husband had open heart surgery in 1984, before the test was available.

Considering what she went through I didn't think it was exactly polite to ask on what basis she (and the other parties in the suit) had a case. But apparently she had one (I think she got a couple million out of it).

Also, people who contract AIDS via transfusions typically succumb much sooner then people who contract it sexually.

by Anonymousreply 17504/23/2014

For what it's worth - the son of my dad's best friend was a big trainer to the stars in the 80s and 90s. he told me before Magic Johnson came out as HIV positive, that he was known to sleep with men. A lot. He was known to frequent steam rooms too.

I didn't believe him at the time -

by Anonymousreply 17604/23/2014

I figure the truth about Magic will have to wait until after his death, although its been so long since his announcement most people of this generation dont even care

by Anonymousreply 17704/23/2014

John Mastuzak?

by Anonymousreply 17804/23/2014

Gregory Hines' early death from liver cancer always seemed suspect to me.

by Anonymousreply 18004/23/2014

Farrah?

by Anonymousreply 18104/23/2014

I thought the same thing too R183.

by Anonymousreply 18204/23/2014

Wait -- Farrah?

Our Farrah?

by Anonymousreply 18304/25/2014

Alvin Ailey (probably already mentioned).

Probably not a big secret, but publicly attributed to something else.

by Anonymousreply 18404/25/2014

[quote]Can someone translate [R121]? There's nothing online about Larry Riley and "watermelons."

r155 he went on Entertainment Tonight to deny AIDS rumors. He said he had lost weight due to being on a watermelon only diet. The poor guy was really sick and erratic on the show (and deeply in denial)

by Anonymousreply 18504/25/2014

I'm the person who originally broached the subject of Raul julia over a year ago. I was just scanning this old thread and saw the mentions about Gregory Hines towards the end. I have absolutely no proof or insider info, but I would bet a month's salary that Mr. hines did indeed die from hiv/aids. i would say that of all the questionable celebrity deaths n the past 15 years, his is the one I feel the most strongly was covered up.

by Anonymousreply 18604/26/2014

Lyle Alzado? Spelling? (Back off grammer/spelling troll, auto correct keeps putting "Alfredo")

by Anonymousreply 18704/26/2014

Arthur Ashe contracted AIDS thru a blood transfusion in connection with his treatment for open heart surgery. He said as much and it was discussed openly. Arthur's death was one of the strongest arguments to get blood products tested.

They were still working on a test for HIV but they had used the Hepatitis test and it proved pretty accurate. The delay was due more to reluctance to incur the costs.

As for Magic Johnson, he openly admitted he was very promiscuous while in the NBA, and he contracted AIDS from one of his female sex partners who was also Positive, from being an IV drug user.

I think Rudolph Nureyev and Perry Ellis were only identified as AIDS victims after their death. Not sure. Pneumonia and various cancers, especially Leukemia and pancreatic cancer, or liver disease were cited as ways to hide an HIV death. Halston died of AIDS didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 18804/26/2014

"As for Magic Johnson, he openly admitted he was very promiscuous while in the NBA, and he contracted AIDS from one of his female sex partners who was also Positive, from being an IV drug user."

That's what he claimed

by Anonymousreply 18904/26/2014

R191 You are a chick right?

by Anonymousreply 19004/26/2014

[quote] Also, people who contract AIDS via transfusions typically succumb much sooner then people who contract it sexually.

The longest survivor I have met is a straight woman who used to be my neighbor. She was among the first batch of known cases in Canada to contract HIV through blood transfusion. She's still alive (she's in her late 50s or early 60s), healthy, and married.

by Anonymousreply 19104/26/2014

Uh, no, I'm not, R193, not last time I looked which was about 20 minutes ago when I peed standing up. I'm an old queen if you must know.

This thread is a speculative thread about secret AIDS deaths. I'm just telling you what I know and remember. As far as I know Magic isn't gay, nor was Arthur Ashe.

Unfortunately the politics were such during those terrible years, that the only way AIDS victims could get any recognition or help was to publicize the spread of AIDS in the Het community too.

Those of us who lived through those horrible times will not forget the inhumane treatment. One of the reasons people kept the cause of death a secret was because they had to deal with a lot of shit from it.

My personal impression about Raul Julia is that he died of AIDS. How he got it, I'm not sure. I do remember he was making some movie or something that placed him in the Brazilian rainforests and he looked like a dead man walking. emaciated and frail and it was terrible to see. I can't believe any one would hire him and not realize he was very sick.

by Anonymousreply 19204/26/2014

Howard E Rollins Jr.?

Miles Davis?

Debby Boone?

by Anonymousreply 19304/26/2014

There's nothing secret about Miles Davis' AIDS-related death.

by Anonymousreply 19404/26/2014

really r197? Does Miss Tyson know?

by Anonymousreply 19504/26/2014

Well, I knew it back in 1991, and I was living in Europe at the time. There, it was reported as the cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 19604/26/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 19704/26/2014

Steve McQueen was in the merchant marine and exposed to asbestos, which is why he got cancer and died. He was desperate - he wanted to be able to keep going for his children. That was a very sad death.

by Anonymousreply 19804/26/2014

I think I knew anyway that Nureyev had AIDS while he was still alive. I don't think it was a secret. Ray Sharkey as far as I know died of AIDS too.

by Anonymousreply 19904/26/2014

This thread so reminds me of my mom. Anytime a celebrity died relatively young, and sort of mysteriously (or of a certain type of cancer), she would always pipe up..."I bet he really had AIDS." She brought up just about everyone mentioned here. Michael Landon (who I really don't think had AIDS). Raul Julia (maybe). Etc etc.

I haven't gone through all of these but what about Andy Warhol? Werent there rumors that New York Presbyterian covered it up?

And what about people who are alive who are suspected to be HIV + . Calvin Klein? Who else?

by Anonymousreply 20004/26/2014

jfk was one of the first. he got it in a joint cia mafia plot. later the cia perfected the disease getting rid of the extreme swelling of the brain.

by Anonymousreply 20104/26/2014

Thomas Tryon,The Cardinal

by Anonymousreply 20204/26/2014

There have been rumors about Michael Stipe having AIDS

by Anonymousreply 20304/26/2014

[quote]Back off [bold]grammer[/bold]/spelling troll

You might want to ask him back again, and [italic]then[/italic] tell him to back off.

by Anonymousreply 20404/26/2014

Miles Davis was a herion addict but did he also like poles and holes as well? I always wondered about him.

by Anonymousreply 20604/26/2014

F&F r208, who is quickly spreading her toxicity to other threads.

by Anonymousreply 20704/26/2014

When did Jackie Kennedy Onassis allegedly have an affair with Rudolf Nureyev? Me soooo curious

by Anonymousreply 20804/26/2014

Didn't Roy Schneider, the guy who played Chief Brody in Jaws, die of AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 20904/26/2014

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 21004/26/2014

has anyone been following the pix of Bill Clinton? Is he in the AIDS closet as well? No one can look that emaciated from heart surgery.

by Anonymousreply 21105/23/2014

Craig Claiborne

by Anonymousreply 21205/27/2014

"Does anyone here think AIDS goes back farther than the 80s?"

A few years ago there was an off-Broadway musical review about the Hollywood/Broadway choreographer Jack Cole. I can recall reading an interview with someone who speculated that Cole's sudden death in 1974 at the age of 63, may have been caused by AIDS, in hindsight.

The Shah of Iran is always someone I wondered about, based on pics I saw of him in his final days.

by Anonymousreply 21305/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.