Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Toyah Willcox

Would one of you Brits please explain her to me? I only knew of her from my cousins who lived in the UK at the time. I watched some of her early videos today and she kind of makes me cringe.

She wasn't punk, really. She was kind of New Wave, I guess. But she wasn't cool and seemed to lack street credibility. She seemed kind of dorky, but in a purposefully arty kind of way. She had a unique look, and her music was different. But it sort of defied labels.

I hate to call her a fake. But I don't think she was real rock and roll either.

by Anonymousreply 1607/07/2014

You're right. She has absolutely no credibility and is considered a joke as a punk. Good as a pop star for the time, but one of those naff things you look back on and laugh. Hasn't stood the test of time.

She's basically this posh stage school girl/actress who fell into it. She was in Jarman's Jubilee, though, I believe with a luscious Adam Ant. She moved into TV presenting from the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

Lol, I did think it was Hazel O'Connor that the OP was talking about. Now, she was a right poseur.

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

Oh I forgot she was married to Robert Fripp. Definitely the coolest thing about her.

She was in Quadrophenia as well, that's what links Hazel O'Connor and her - Phil Daniels is in Quadrophenia and Breaking Glass.

I would definitely recommend Hazel btw. Breaking Glass and its rather excellent soundtrack is classic camp/kitsch as opposed to Toyah who just fails!

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

She did the voiceover in the Teletubbies as well with her inimitable LISP.

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

She was a replacement Sally Bowles in the first London revival of CABARET.

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

This is strange.Here you are all bithching about somebody who was popular 30 years ago. It`s not like she`s Lady Gaga or somebody like that.

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

Is this ?

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

Thanks to this thread I've been watching Hazel O'Connor on YouTube as well. She's not bad. Better and less annoying than Toyah. There's more THERE there, if you know what I mean.

I like Hazel's "Decadent Days" but the TV performances of that song are annoying. All that jumping around.

It's almost as if Toyah, and to some extent Hazel were trying to be Kate Bush, Nina Hagen, Siouxsie Sioux, and Lene Lovich all rolled into one. Kate, Nina, Siouxsie, and Lene were each bizarre in their own way but they were authentic and real and made it work.

Or maybe they were trying to be female Bowies

Anyway, I guess Toyah was an omen of things to come. No one will be original in the future. Pop stars will be corporate-created, over-produced imitations of artists that came before them.

My English cousins were fans of Toyah and I understand why. But they never mention her now or even listen to her music as far as I know. If they listen to old music from those days it's Blondie, Clash, Bowie, etc. The stuff that stands up.

I'm thinking about Toyah Willcox WAY too much.

by Anonymousreply 1104/18/2013

Her "Minx" album from 1986 is good and has a lot of good pop songs. She was sexy in her rubber dress in the video for "Don't Fall in Love".

by Anonymousreply 1204/19/2013

It's a mythtery, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2013

I kept me hair short when I was a kid because it stood on end when it grew out and I looked like her.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2013

Well this is just terribly sweet

by Anonymousreply 1501/15/2014

Not a bad performer at all. Not that eclectic though. I listened to some of her stuff, she is not a bad singer-songwriter, however, she doesn't come close to some favorites like Lisa Dalbello and Kate Bush, speaking of creativity and control over the music itself. Her 1991 album "Ophelia's Shadow" is her best, I really like the direction change to a more progressive pop/rock atmosphere with some very good whispering vocals. As a person she seems a confident, happy-married woman, however, she is not one of those creative introvert female singer-songwriters I most adore.

by Anonymousreply 1607/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!