Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Are The Baby Boomers The Most Despised Generation In History?

Parental jealously? Truly monstrous?

It's definitely the most selfish, most entitled group to have ever lived.

Me, me, me!

by Anonymousreply 254August 2, 2019 6:15 PM

Only hated by jealous GenXers because they all suck.

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2013 3:52 AM

They're not. Because the generations that came after them have no feelings.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2013 3:53 AM

We like us. I fail to see the problem.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2013 3:56 AM

Generally speaking, they went from Age of Aquarius ego transcendence to '80's materialistic egomania without much reflection at all. In fact, they seemed gleeful. At least that's how it was portrayed. They stifled youth culture. Case in point, Rolling Stone and its endless yuppie cover stars when MUCH more interesting, younger music was flooding the scene. But we had to be kept up to date with the like of Huey Lewis and more Yoko news. They've always had pretty shitty hairstyles as well, through the decades.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2013 3:57 AM

If you were around for all of that then you must be one of us. one of us. one of us....r4

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2013 3:59 AM

Let's not even talk about Gen Y!!

"I'm entitled to want it all - why won't you give it to me?"

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2013 3:59 AM

The Baby Boomers:

1. Took all the good paying jobs, eliminating the rest or shipping them overseas using their managerial power.

2. Ran up the highest debt in history.

3. Eliminated the Glass Steagall act allowing massive Wall Street corruption.

by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2013 4:17 AM

R7 To extrapolate that the entire baby boom generation did #1 and #3 is just stupid.

#2, I'll grant you. It seemed very important to have credit cards by the time I finished college, as if you weren't quite "real" without them. But I wonder if it was baby boomers marketing them to baby boomers.

In the two years prior to my graduation, I received unsolicited credit cards in the mail two or three times. I canceled two of them, but used one. Somehow, it had to have been people older than me doing the sending.

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2013 4:29 AM

I think the Millenials are.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2013 5:27 AM

[9] Me too me too!

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2013 6:29 AM

The Baby Boomers were stamped officially as being spoiled, rotten, self-absorbed egotists. Everything was owed to them. Generations that came later never got labeled. I think half of it is deserved, and half of it isn't. The older generation was definitely resentful in the end. They were the 'greatest generation.'

It's true that the Baby Boomers moved on to becoming Reaganittes. Today, the majority of them who called themselves liberal back in the day, are conservative. Whatever gives them more money.

The Baby Boomers today are still showing their arrogance with all the plastic surgery, cougar crap, etc.

I actually think the Millennials are more resourceful, and more socially aware. They seem to have the best of both words: shallowness + awareness. They're all into being green, recycling plastic, while mom is busy shooting it into her face.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2013 7:05 AM

Surely, you jest r11.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2013 7:28 AM

The Tea Party is the White Baby Boomer vote.

Enough said!

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2013 12:14 AM

The worst thing about baby boomers is that they never bothered learning how to raise children who might grow into functioning adults.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2013 12:33 AM

R11 is delusional.

We stopped a fucking war. We helped set civil rights right. We saw to the empowerment of citizens in their every day lives. We helped women break their societal shackles. We helped the gay community assert their rights. We started the modern environmental movement. And we did all those things without the luxuries later generations have come to expect. And without computers and cell phones.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting with my feeble mind but you get the picture.

When you accomplish a fraction of what the boomer generation or its parents' generation accomplished for the betterment of everyone then come back. Until then shut up and sit down.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2013 12:55 AM

You realize of course who are the critics of the Baby Boomers?

*Young Millennial people who have no knowledge of history, geography, or literature.

*Freepers who despise the Boombers since the latter were at the forefront of challenging racism, sexism, and homophobia.

*Gen X, who gave up quickly.

The poster is one of the 3. Que troll. In fact, let me ask the OP: what have you done lately to justify your existence?

1, 2, 3...

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2013 1:44 AM

because Tom Brokaw keeps writing those awful books about them.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2013 1:46 AM

R15

You have to admit that liberal baby boomers values was/is notrepresentative of a majority your generation. If they were then vietnam war would not have lasted over a decade before "you ended it". Movement to end the war came similar to the way we see as fatigue with Iraq and Afghanistan among all citizens .

And IF they continued to possess that wisdom from experience ...Iraq and Afghanistan (2 Vietnams) would have never happened much less last as long as Vietnam did.

And there is a segment of baby boomers who made great strudes in civil rights, gay rights, and womens rights. However its a significant portion of the baby boomer age group left who loosing their shit over a black president, against gay marriage, and interfering with womens access to abortions and birth control.

In the 90s they were bitching about the Xers being winers and they grew up. Too soon to judge Gen Y ... but what can be said id that they are better on civil rights, womens rights, and gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2013 2:08 AM

You can thank Ronald Reagan for that r8. He was not a boomer.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2013 2:11 AM

Jealousy.

Next question.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2013 2:13 AM

It's good to know that drama queens will not die out soon.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2013 2:15 AM

I read that they're killing themselves in record numbers.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2013 2:15 AM

"Most Despised"?! Only by our lazy-sot inferiors!

We protested for Civil Rights, against the VietNam Conflict, for Women's Lib.

Were we ALSO supposed to do YOUR GENRATION'S job, OP, and take to the streets in November 2000?

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2013 2:19 AM

"It's true that the Baby Boomers moved on to becoming Reaganittes. Today, the majority of them who called themselves liberal back in the day, are conservative."

UTTER TWADDLE.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2013 2:20 AM

This is the third thread you've started trying to cause intergenerational flaming, OP.

Get a hobby

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2013 2:20 AM

Oh, my. The Baby Boomers are the most selfish generation? Considering that they are bleeding out trying to keep their loser children and grandchildren from living under bridges, I don't think this is accurate.

OP's mom probably ignored his screams from the basement to pick up some Ice Cream Drumsticks when she was leaving for the store.

Ass.

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2013 2:26 AM

It is all cyclical. One generation builds, the next squanders, the next suffers. Rinse. Repeat. The boomers squandered. The current generation is royally fucked and they know it. It will be up to THEIR kids to rebuild and reset the cycle.

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2013 2:50 AM

Because for Boomers it's gone from:

"Boom Boom Boom Let's Go Back To My Room" to:

"Boom Boom Boom Let's Get You to an ICU Room"

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2013 3:01 AM

The "baby boomer" generation was born between 1946-1964. Think about this for a minute. Those born in 1946 turned 18 in 1964-65. Those born in 1964 turned 18 in 1982-83. Even a cursory understanding of the differences between someone coming of age in 1964 and someone coming of age in 1982 should tell you that they are not really all the same generation in terms of what was going on culturally and politically when any member reached his/her majority. Actually, similar disparities are true of any "generation."

All of my friends and I that are baby boomers not only supported Obama but have never voted for a Republican for president. All of my siblings that are baby boomers supported McCain and Romney. 47% of baby boomers voted for Obama; 53% voted for Romney. We are not all the same. Neither are all of the "generations" that have followed us.

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2013 3:03 AM

You motherfuckers! I'm a boomer and we gave you denim bell bottom jeans, LSD, and Herbie the Love Bug---so fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2013 3:05 AM

Ya'll better be nice to us baby boomers. After all, ya'll are going to have to move back in with us to live.

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2013 3:06 AM

Cant the goverment force people over 35 to commit suicide? Old people use up all our resourses and they are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2013 3:09 AM

The Baby Boomers are the ultimate "me" generation. The family unit, the environment, and the economy all came undone because of their unending need for personal "fulfilment". Whether that elusive happiness lay in the self-indulgence of the hippie era, the destructive hedonism of disco, or the disgusting consumerism of the Reaganites - the Baby Boomers insisted on their right to be happy at any and all cost. Gen X, Y, the Millenials, and subsequent generations now have to clean up their mess.

Btw, who do you think raised all of these so-called "entitled" young adults? Yup - Baby Boomers. And then they have the temerity to turn around and blame their children for behaving as selfishly as they did.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2013 3:10 AM

what is the next generation after baby boomers? What is the cutoff for Gen X? Gen Y

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2013 3:13 AM

Stupid Things Caused By Baby Boomers:

Vietnam War

Watergate

Hippies

The Manson Murders

Woodstock (stupidest thing ever)

LSD

Hard Rock/Heavy Metal

Disco

AIDS

Iran Contra

Reagan's Presidency

Both Bushes Presidencies

Gulf War I & II

OKC Bombing

9/11

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2013 3:21 AM

No, OP. The "me me me" generation would be the spoiled, entitled millenia, internet generation who is so used to getting everything at the stroke of a keyboard, they have no clue what it's like to actually have to work for things. I reckon the smart phone/ipad generation will even be worse if that's possible....

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2013 3:29 AM

Stupid Things NOT Caused By Baby Boomers, moron R35:

Vietnam War

Watergate

The Manson Murders

LSD

AIDS

Iran Contra

Reagan's Presidency

First Bush Presidency

Gulf War I

OKC Bombing

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2013 3:30 AM

Baby Boom generation, according to this, spans 1946 to 1964.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2013 3:36 AM

Baby boomer: means you were born soon after WW2. After a major war war, people come home and have families again.

Gen Y are the kids of the Baby Boomers.

Gen X is the odd and very small generation in between these 2. Called Gen X because there are statistically so few. Many Gen X's parents were born during the war, which is extremely rare.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2013 3:47 AM

[quote] because Tom Brokaw keeps writing those awful books about them.

Please tell me what generation you are so I can know which to call stupid. Brokaw has mostly written about the generation before the Boomers - that would be the Boomers' parents and the ones who grew up in the depressin and fought in WW2. IIRC he only wrote one book about the 60s but not about the Boomer generation per se.

The Boomer generation really covers about 3 generations socially. Those who reached adulthood without going to college before say 1967. Because they had already entered the work force with many of them settling down, it was easy for them to miss out on the social and even political changes going on. Those who were still in high school and college in the mid to late 60s and through the early 70s - probably the main base of the social and political changes. And lastly those born toward the end of the official boomer years are harsly recognizable as part of the Boomer generation.

Obviously there are no hard and fast rules and many leaders of social and political movements were older. Social and economic class also played a role as well as what part of the country you lived in. Social change came more slowly to many parts of the country.

I'm open to being proven wrong but I always remember my older sister and those her age seeming to be another generation than I was and she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2013 7:16 AM

You know what we boomers have that the rest of you don't have enough of? GUNS! We buy our 5 year old rug rats baby guns, too.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2013 7:17 AM

Because they were given everything and then fucked it up for every generation that has come after them.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2013 7:22 AM

You're such an idiot, r42. You know nothing. Plus, you whine, which means you must be a Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2013 8:42 AM

[quote]Why Are The Baby Boomers The Most Despised Generation In History?

Being gay, I despise them along with some Generation X'ers because they are the ones who keep trying to push that Christianity bullshit on people. Luckily most people under 40 are a lot more open-minded and aren't as quick to push or believethat shit.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2013 8:51 AM

Uhhh, they're not. I missed being a boomer by about five years, but I always admired them more than my own generation, which only cared about money and career. Thank you Ronald Reagan.

The boomers at least tried to have a cultural revolution (twice if you count punk in the 70s). They took a hell of a stand for civil rights for blacks, women's rights, gay rights, the environment, etc. A lot of them paid a heavy price for it too.

The people who want you to hate the boomers are the Bush/Cheney types who hated the counterculture, protest, human rights and want to set the generations against one another so that they can continue to rob us all blind.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2013 12:59 PM

But the Baby Boomers did f*uck everything up.

They ran up the debt and destroyed all the fair paying jobs.

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2013 1:01 PM

The "greatest generation" were just as bad and ended up just as entitled

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2013 1:05 PM

The CEOs who are destroying the America today are almost all Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2013 1:44 PM

I have a new job and my new boss is recently promoted and going to supervisors training. She had to review her staff and analyze us according to our generational differences. I am a Boomer but she said that my change-agency, team goal orientation and early adopter mode made me PRESENT as a Gen-Xer.

So, not only do some of us older gays look younger, some of us are socialized younger as well.

[Notice I didn't say 'act' younger, you fucks.]

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2013 3:51 PM

[quote]"Old people use up all our resourses and they are idiots."

Ahem...

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2013 3:57 PM

I don't know how hated Baby Boomers are, but they are despicable. They are the generation of great societal change. The 'fight the man' generation or the 'peace and love' generation, if you will and just look at what they've become. Bigots, haters, and greedy totalitarians. Baby Boomers are total frauds and have sold out every principle they ever claimed to have.

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2013 3:58 PM

[quote]We protested for Civil Rights,

Which means nothing.

[quote]against the VietNam Conflict,

and spat on Veterans coming home.

[quote]for Women's Lib.

Which backfired.

The generation that hates the Baby Boomers is not the current generation, but your parents' generation. They were the ones who pampered your asses. Thy were the greatest generation. You were and are still the worst generation. Every problem the world has is thanks to your greedy asses. You worked for nothing.

The current generation is giving us gay rights, and winning. Meanwhile, the lot of you want to stall them and go back to a time when you had to have anonymous sex in back alleys, and god forbid if you are granted marriage because that's a breeder tradition.

The Baby Boomers made a mess out of things. The current generation is the technological generation. They are way smarter than you. You'r still trying to figure out how to use iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2013 6:02 PM

[quote]They took a hell of a stand for civil rights for blacks, women's rights, gay rights, the environment, etc. A lot of them paid a heavy price for it too.

Oh, please, they fucked up the majority of those things, and after a decade went back and ran against them.

by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2013 6:03 PM

[quote]The "greatest generation" were just as bad and ended up just as entitled

so says a Baby Boomer. Bwahahaha! You wouldn't know hard work if it bit you on the ass. While your parents went into battle, the majority of you headed off to Canada. Bunch of drug addicted pussies.

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2013 6:05 PM

How many of anybody has been protesting the endless wars, chemtrails, now? Korea and the Phillipines invasion weren't BBers were they?

This site is full of complete jackasses. Supporting Hillary who supported Bill's assurances -obviously based on false FBI data - that there were chemical weapons in Iraq? Even in '04 she was reluctant to admit the war was wrong. She even used the opportunity to make a plug for more nuclear plants in New York after the '03 blackout. Even kids knew that was wrong.

The current generation is too conservative to give anyone gay rights. That was made possible by the more openminded people a few generations ago.

Not people who say this: [quote]We protested for Civil Rights, DLer: Which means nothing.

[quote]for Women's Lib. DLer: Which backfired.

Can you imagine this idiot being a liberator for anything? But he honestly thinks he is!

by Anonymousreply 55May 4, 2013 6:49 PM

The Boomers will soon be old and sick and dependent on somebody paying for their healthcare....revenge is near!

by Anonymousreply 56May 4, 2013 7:00 PM

The Boomers have timed it so that social security will run out just as the last of them are dying out. They are awful.

by Anonymousreply 57May 4, 2013 7:05 PM

The problem with baby boomers is that there's so many of them. Gen X is a smaller group.

If we're talking annoying, millennials own the title. We're looking at a mass of people addicted to Facebook and delusional enough to think that makes them interesting.

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2013 7:11 PM

Girls, girls! You're all annoying, entitled douchebags!

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2013 7:14 PM

r35, are you INSANE?!

Baby boomers didn't CAUSE the VN War; WE DIED IN IT, YOU EFFER.

DO YOU THINK NIXON WAS A BABY BOOMER, YOU CRETIN?

by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2013 8:46 PM

Uh, r52? You are credulous. Those "spat on VietNam Vets coming home" is an apocryphal and damned lie.

NEVER HAPPENED, and I had a friend who swore it did to him, Because no VN Vet wore his uniform on the planes "back to the world"---so how would any hippie-dippie hanging around, say, LAX know upon whom to spit, eh?

Not to mention these were our BROTHERS, COUSINS, AND FRIENDS.

About the greed-head CEO's: The median age for an S&P 500 CEO in 2007 was 55, according to executive search firm Spencer Stuart; that's a birth-year of 1958, a Korean-War-baby, not a true post-WW II Boomer. As another example, Rupert Murdoch is 77.

But in any case, to think that every person born from 1945-1955 became a Liberal Hippie is to sadly misread the times. Plenty of that generation were not of the g-g-g-generation, if you catch my drift.

by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2013 8:59 PM

I'm a baby boomer - born in the mid 50s - and I think younger generations are jealous of what the boomers accomplished. We protested war. We revolutionized music. We drove the sexual revolution. Boomers made most of today's technology possible. We worked hard for the American Dream. We took jobs that these days younger people won't touch as they think it's beneath them. But we also spoiled out children, and they in turn spoiled theirs even worse. Now we have two generations of spoiled brats who think everything should be handed to them on a GOLD platter. And that's why they hate us - we have it all and they just want us to give it to them...they don't want to earn it.

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2013 9:01 PM

They got to live through and be transformed by The Beatles and everything that followed in their wake, but they forgot "All you Need Is Love" eventually.

by Anonymousreply 63May 4, 2013 9:10 PM

"The current generation is too conservative to give anyone gay rights. That was made possible by the more openminded people a few generations ago."

Get the fuck out of here. Your "openminded" generation gave us DADT and DOMA. People from your generation couldn't even accept out gays serving in the military, much less consider them worthy of equal rights. So please spare us the self indulgent fairytales.

I'm proud of the younger generation because they don't flip out over the word "gay", and they think of nothing of seeing a same sex couple going to a prom. Gay-straight alliances are in high schools and college all over the world, and it's nothing for a fourteen year old to come out nowadays and be proud of who they are.

None of that tolerance was happening back in the eighties and nineties. And yes, not everyone was conservative and Reagan loving. But if you were truly the most liberal generation that you like to envision you are, it wouldn't have taken decades to arrive at such basic common sense.

"And that's why they hate us - we have it all and they just want us to give it to them...they don't want to earn it. "

How can they earn it? Your generation outsourced most of the jobs, because you decided that American workers weren't good enough to deal with your precious selves. The few decent jobs that are left have been downgraded in salary over the years, so you have nine fifty an hour starting salaries for jobs that were once at least fourteen and fifteen an hour. You now have people with Masters Degrees working retail trying to scrape by.

But by all means keep patting yourself on the back. But that's not what it's all about, is it.

by Anonymousreply 64May 4, 2013 10:10 PM

On one hand they saved our country from Vietnam,segregation,Nixon and chauvanism.On the other hand they've turned our country into an eggshell-walking chicken-shit politically correct heterosexual-white-male-bashing culture that now kisses every former minorities asses in a quivering knee-jerk bleeding heart liberal attempt to forever apologize for the past!Probably because until the sixties,the democrats were the original racist party!Not that I'm a republican!I hate those bible-thumping hypocritical assholes too!

by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2013 10:20 PM

Wirsma stuff?

Awuntma stuff.

Where's MAH STOOFF?

by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2013 10:41 PM

Americas biggest homophobes today are all Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2013 11:30 PM

We will make history with the first woman President.

by Anonymousreply 68May 5, 2013 1:04 AM

I think the current twenty somethings with their helicopter parents will give the boomers a run for their money as most despised.

by Anonymousreply 69May 5, 2013 1:15 AM

R29, here.

As I posted above, we were not one generation. For those who say we were homophobic, yes, many were, but is is also true that most everyone at Stonewall was a boomer. Change has occurred far too rapidly over the last six decades for any one 18-year span to be considered a unique generation.

Rather than arguing about differences between generations, we should be discussing differences of opinion that span generations and intersect multiple generations. Stop listening to the stupidity of demographers who lump people into age groups that have little or no defining characteristics other than the fact they were born within one time frame. For instance, about one third of so-called boomers supported the war in Vietnam as late as the early 70s. Further, very few boomers had any political power until the 90s. We went from the last of the "greatest generation" presidents in GHW Bush to the first of the boomer generation in Clinton. The generation which held the most offices in the 90s were actually not boomers but the generation that came of age from the late 40s-64, the McCain generation, if you will. They hated the boomers and did everything they could to fight against them. Although this generation never had a president, they have basically controlled the country until quite recently. By the way, most of the most ridiculous conservatives aren't boomers but are actually those who came of age in the 80s and early 90s, people like Cruz, Bachmann, Santorum, etc. The inter-generational wars keep us from fighting those who are the most destructive, namely wacked-out conservatives who have been a part, and sometimes the majority, of every generation.

by Anonymousreply 70May 5, 2013 3:04 AM

The Boomers parents, although extremely anti-gay, did die to fight off fascism.

The Boomers are anti-gay and spoiled, economy destroying too), but they never did anything good, unlike their parents. So..... no pity for Baby Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 71May 5, 2013 3:32 PM

r71 is a pusillanimous half-wit.

Fifty-five thousand names on The Wall, all Baby Boomers sent off to die at age nineteen.

Yes, our parents won WWII, but they also invaded Korea, VietNam, and Cambodia.

No generation has a lock on ethical behaviors or accomplishments.

by Anonymousreply 72May 5, 2013 3:47 PM

What a bunch of lame, non-analytical, generalizing garbage.

by Anonymousreply 73May 5, 2013 4:01 PM

America has been invading countries since WW2.

Once it got addicted to taking over Germany, the USA couldn't seem to stop. Iraq, Afghanistan, Grenada and those are just the officially acknowledged invasions of recent. (add Pakistan etc.)

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2013 9:02 PM

baby boomers are annoying as fuck. A lot of them just hog a lot of the higher up jobs and prevent younger generations from coming in. Unlike their parents, baby boomers are working longer (many by choice, not necessity) and it's just obnoxious. They never had such a ceiling when they were coming up so they don't know what it's like.

by Anonymousreply 75September 23, 2013 5:58 AM

I'm a baby boomer, went to Woodstock, dropped out of college and immediately got drafted and went into the Marine Corps and got injured in Vietnam. I got discharged and went home and finished college, under the GI Bill where the govt. funded me. Thanks to FDR's legacy (he was NOT a boomer) my education was paid in full, along with some living expenses. I worked for others, who were homophobic, and decided to establish my own in business. I was successful as well. I saved every penny I could and bought my own house with the GI Bill (thanks again to FDR and he was not a boomer) and do not have a mortgage on my back. I am fully retired now and donate my time to a homeless kitchen in my city and I help cook for some very nice homeless people. I do NOT get paid as it is a volunteer job that I love. It's my way of putting INTO the system as a way of paying back for what I received from it. I am far from being a selfish person and have always believed in hard work and long hours.

by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2013 7:04 AM

R75, the baby boomers HAVE to work past retirement age because YOUR generation is still too ill-equipped to take over. Now go file some papers with Ginny in book keeping.

by Anonymousreply 77September 23, 2013 7:13 AM

R76 you're an exception to the rule. Look at all the upper-level and mid-upper-level jobs out there. Most of them are taken by people late 40s and up. It's annoying. The younger generations have to work twice as hard to get half as far because there are fewer jobs available. When your group started working, there wasn't a job shortage.

by Anonymousreply 78September 23, 2013 7:46 AM

But look at all of the food stamp opportunities we are affording you.

by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2013 7:52 AM

Read for filth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2013 7:54 AM

I feel very badly for those who are struggling to just get by or are homeless and are living on the streets and many are mentally ill because of it. Those who created this are oligarchs from very wealthy families which go back a long time such as in the Koch Brothers (whose father created the ultra-right wing conservative John Birch Society), the Rockefellers, the Bush family and the Rothchilds; amongst others in collusion with Wall Street and the banks, not us everyday boomers. This whole fiasco was on the drawing board going back to FDR who was well hated by the wealthy elite for creating Social Security and other safety nets for society. They hated Lyndon B. Johnson who created Medicare, as well. They have succeeded in polarizing our country due to the "divide and conquer" ideology. The age wars on this board are very evident of it. We are all victims.

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2013 8:12 AM

Just an example-Donald Trump is an example of why baby boomers are HATED. The cunt grew up spoiled, adopted a greedy winner-take-all philosophy, crashed and burned several times before reviving and created an empire. Now he's 67, rich beyond belief, and won't retire. Think of how many people he has screwed over the years, and now he's doing it to the younger generations. Why is he still hogging business? He doesn't need it. His unborn great-great-grandkids don't need it eiher.

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2013 8:22 AM

[r81], here, here!

End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 83September 23, 2013 8:23 AM

And yet millions of X and Millenials have found refuge in the basements of their parents, those despised boomers. How fair of you.

by Anonymousreply 84September 23, 2013 9:10 AM

[quote]About the greed-head CEO's: The median age for an S&P 500 CEO in 2007 was 55, according to executive search firm Spencer Stuart; that's a birth-year of 1958, a Korean-War-baby, not a true post-WW II Boomer.

You're so sure about that? Was your elementary school an early core curriculum adopter?

[quote] The Boomers parents, although extremely anti-gay, did die to fight off fascism.

Too bad their kids embraced it. I guess they need to follow in their parents' footsteps. Not that the "greatest generation" is any fucking prize. Bunch of racist old coots driving around in expensive vehicles, having spent the better part of a century slicing the best pieces of the pie and leaving the crumbs for anyone younger than their own kids.

by Anonymousreply 85September 23, 2013 10:13 AM

The failure that is this generation needs someone to blame.

by Anonymousreply 86September 23, 2013 10:18 AM

Actually the Baby Boomers despised their parent's generation for visiting any number of horrors upon the world. Where did the " greatest generation" bullshit come fom? Sounds like whitewashing the truth. The criticism of BBs now is just the same old resentments. Gen X will feel it soon, but Gen Y is already feeling the heavy weight of jealousy from Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2013 11:45 AM

and lmao at you BB's who get plastic surgery and injections in order to compete with the younger crowd looks-wise. You had your time to be hot and pretty-if you didn't take care of yourself you deserve to look old and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 88September 23, 2013 8:08 PM

R88, "looks-wise"?

Can you not speak English correctly? Thank you for giving the best example in the entire thread of why you are not equipped to lead. Now go buss table 4, they are through eating.

by Anonymousreply 89September 23, 2013 8:46 PM

RIGHT ON! R15

by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2013 8:56 PM

R89:[quote]Now go buss table 4, they are through eating.

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2013 9:06 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 92September 24, 2013 12:13 AM

Because they lived high on the hog at the expense of every generation that will follow.

by Anonymousreply 93September 24, 2013 12:17 AM

[quote] Where did the " greatest generation" bullshit come fom?

Tom Brokaw sold a lot of books off that catchphrase.

by Anonymousreply 94September 24, 2013 5:01 AM

Amen R92

R89 got owned. I love it when grammar trolls have typos.

by Anonymousreply 95September 24, 2013 6:01 AM

sigh:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 2, 2013 12:12 AM

People mention how instrumental they were in civil rights, the ending of the Vietnam conflict, etc. They toked up, drank, screwed around and proclaimed free love. That's fine. They didn't trust anyone under 30. Yet, when Reagan hit office, they showed their true selfish natures. Look at their reaction to AIDS. They became judgmental, particularly about sex and marijuana, "sinful music", so called pornography, certainly "Moral Majority" types. They've become greedy, nasty and hateful and frankly many of them don't give a flying fuck about the future because they got their share of pie. They've attempted to (with some success) to destroy civil rights. They've not become their parents, because that generation still had a basic sense of decency and fairness. It is all about "me and mine." The Tea Party, some of the Supreme Court Justices, members of congress, look how they fucked up this country and their generation willingly supported them. (Or passively so by not voting.) I'm not saying all Boomers have acted this way, just a majority.

by Anonymousreply 97December 2, 2013 3:56 AM

Those born in the so-called boomer generation are hardly a monolithic political or social set. Radicals, commies, pigs, conservatives, yuppies, hippies whatever. Most of these groups, and more subsets among them, hated and fought each other--with a passion. Impossible to draw any conclusion about them as a generation without pointing out it was comfused, complex and conficted, all over the map. Personally, I hated the yuppies. Especially that twat Jerry Rubin and was happy at Woodstock when Pete Townsend hammered him with his axe and told him--and his political agenda--to fuck off the stage.

What kind of conclusion can you draw from Jimi Hendrix's defense of the Army his personal admiration for Nixon?

by Anonymousreply 98December 2, 2013 4:10 AM

Everything wrong with the world today is because of the Baby Boomers. They are the worst. Selfish, entitled, greedy, destructive and liars. Free love and equality and helping your brother, my ass. The Hippies were fake.

by Anonymousreply 99December 2, 2013 4:16 AM

The baby boomer age group was born between 1946 and 1964. That means we're dealing with the latter half reaching 50/early 50s now.

by Anonymousreply 100December 2, 2013 4:41 AM

As far as facts "in history" are concerned, R15 and R16 are correct.

by Anonymousreply 101December 2, 2013 4:43 AM

I'm a boomer and the people attacking Boomers on this thread are too stupid to argue with. This is what a decade of "teach to the test" produces. We're doomed.

by Anonymousreply 102December 2, 2013 5:30 AM

[quote]Now go buss table 4, they are through eating.

Oh, Double Dear.

by Anonymousreply 103December 2, 2013 11:52 AM

I was born in 1963 and do not consider myself a "boomer"...I don't want to be associated with them either. Those born between roughly 1958 have very little remembrances, if any regarding the 1950s, Kennedy, Vietnam, civil rights, hippies etc. Speaking for myself, I have different memories and experiences. In some ways, we're a lost generation of sorts. I find it highly ironic that the "boomers" who fought so for civil rights did not do a fucking thing about the recent reversals of such. Where are they now as voting rights are being restricted and gutted? Why don't they open their big mouths about this? It's just proves that they are selfish, self-centered and do not give a flying fuck about anyone but themselves. Again, I'm not say all boomers are like this, some still do care, but they are a minority.

by Anonymousreply 104December 2, 2013 4:32 PM

Tough crap, OP.

by Anonymousreply 105December 2, 2013 4:37 PM

Where is YOUR generation in protest then, r104?

You despise us Boomers, yet want us, now in our 60's, still to LEAD YOU!

Time for YOU to get off YOUR whiny ass.

by Anonymousreply 106December 2, 2013 4:40 PM

When the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began, where were you fucking Millenials?? At your age, I was marching in the streets, in protest marches for gay rights, women's rights, and the right to an abortion These were causes that all you youngsters benefit from.

When the war in Iraq began, I waited in vain for you kids to get out in the streets the way I did when I was young -- but -- nothing. None of you gave a fuck. And you know why?? Because none of YOU were getting drafted!! Self-centered pricks, all of you. I marched for abortion rights even though I'm a lesbian and would never need an abortion, because I had the sense to see that the expansion of rights was good for EVERYONE. But you guys aren't bright enough to figure that out -- or else, perhaps, you're just too lazy.

So it's YOUR turn to take the torch and run with it -- and what do you do?? You blame someone else for your problems, just like you always do.

I recently went to work for local government because I couldn't pretend anymore that you kids were learning something when I wasn't even allowed to fail anyone, because s/he might sue the college. That's how your generation acts.

Go bitch to someone else, children. We're tired of hearing it.

by Anonymousreply 107December 2, 2013 4:55 PM

It's their venal greed. The Baby Boom generation are like Icarus; they touched the sun, then scorched us all with their spectacular plummet into materialism, cultural suffocation of younger generations (thanks, Jann!), and lock-step faux-progressive posturing while they carefully overlook the military junta that has throttled this country. Yes, Millenials are often clueless, cunty and spoiled, but they are the fruits of the boom.

by Anonymousreply 108December 2, 2013 5:00 PM

/quote ..because I couldn't pretend anymore that you kids were learning something when I wasn't even allowed to fail anyone, because s/he might sue the college.

for real R107?

by Anonymousreply 109December 2, 2013 5:01 PM

Yes, you are correct, where is our generation about this? Yes, we have a responsibility. I agree, but two wrongs don't make it right. Yet, you are missing my point - I am just describing the boomers utter hypocrisy. Furthermore, I don't expect you to lead us, I wouldn't want a leader for whom I have no respect. This is in consideration your past actions beginning with Reagan. What about AIDS? At first, many of you remained silent, along with Reagan for the first 7 years. You've reverted to everything in the 1980s to what you've despised in the 1960s. You've become greedy, selfish, opportunistic, judgmental, tight assed Reganites. You've not only selfishly absorbed future resources, you've it pretty damned sure not to share what's left. Furthermore, why you did not continue your fight for racial justice and tolerance? Where are you now? Again, boomers still lay the blame on others and abdicate their own responsibility for the mess we have today.

by Anonymousreply 110December 2, 2013 5:05 PM

[quote] ..because I couldn't pretend anymore that you kids were learning something when I wasn't even allowed to fail anyone, because s/he might sue the college.

for real [R107]?

by Anonymousreply 111December 2, 2013 5:13 PM

R32 said:

[quote]Old people use up all our resourses and they are idiots.

Please comfort this particular old person, and tell him that your genes did not have a chance to reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 112December 2, 2013 5:18 PM

IS it really? I can't speak for all baby boomers, for as for me, I've worked my ass of since I was in grade school (morning paper route), worked my way through college and have worked ever since. I am now almost 69 year old and STILL working.

My partner and I own a fairly modest condo, we each have one vehicle, no vacation home and, some years, not even a vacation.

Who would say this sounds "selfish and entitled"?

by Anonymousreply 113December 2, 2013 5:39 PM

No protests against the Iraq War, R107? Really?

Also, there's Occupy Wall Street and the ongoing protests against the WTO since the late 90s, because the real war being waged is an economic one. You must be some poli-sci professor indeed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 2, 2013 6:10 PM

My mother is of the Greatest Generation. She calls Obama 'that communist n----r," when she thinks I can't hear her.

Nice greatest generation, huh?

by Anonymousreply 115December 2, 2013 6:38 PM

by Anonymousreply 116December 2, 2013 6:46 PM

R107, my first demonstration was against the war in Iraq. But, it was in Paris and it was perfectly acceptable to oppose the Iraq war there. Still we did it to show international support against the war. It didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 117December 2, 2013 7:58 PM

Er, generational stereotypes, like decade stereotypes, are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 118December 2, 2013 8:23 PM

The post-Boomer generation certainly inherited all of their sanctimony and self-absorption.

by Anonymousreply 119December 2, 2013 8:51 PM

Honey @ R114, do you think I'm as stupid as your peers? Of course I know about all of that. But what did you accomplish?? Nothing. You couldn't even decide on a goal for Occupy since Mommy and Daddy weren't telling you what to fight for and how to go about getting it. I read over and over again in the press and on the internet -- what goal do these protesters have? None of you could articulate it. And then (of course), it all fizzled out. There are no leaders in your generation -- you're too used to being gently guided and having everything spelled out for you ("Can we have a 'study guide?'").

Fight the power, indeed.

When I got involved with "the movement," we actually changed things. Can you think of one righteous thing you kids have changed?? I'll tell you the same thing I told my students: right now, you have at your fingertips more knowledge than anyone has ever had in the history of the world, and what do you do with it?? You go to Facebook.

And yes, indeed, R111 -- as a professor, I wasn't allowed to fail anyone. So if you got by with C's in your classes, chances are good you deserved an F -- but the professor wasn't allowed to give it. That's why I have said in other threads, you think you're educated -- but you're not.

Good luck with your futures -- but don't even think about blaming it on me. I'm tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 120December 2, 2013 9:16 PM

Amy (not her real name) sat in my office and wiped her streaming tears on her sleeve, refusing the scratchy tissues I’d offered. “I’m thinking about just applying for a Ph.D. program after I graduate because I have no idea what I want to do.” Amy had mild depression growing up, and it worsened during freshman year of college when she moved from her parents’ house to her dorm. It became increasingly difficult to balance school, socializing, laundry, and a part-time job. She finally had to dump the part-time job, was still unable to do laundry, and often stayed up until 2 a.m. trying to complete homework because she didn’t know how to manage her time without her parents keeping track of her schedule.

I suggested finding a job after graduation, even if it’s only temporary. She cried harder at this idea. “So, becoming an adult is just really scary for you?” I asked. “Yes,” she sniffled. Amy is 30 years old.

Her case is becoming the norm for twenty- to thirtysomethings I see in my office as a psychotherapist. I’ve had at least 100 college and grad students like Amy crying on my couch because breaching adulthood is too overwhelming.

In 2000, psychologist Jeff Arnet coined the term “emerging adolescence” to describe extended adolescence that delays adulthood. People in their 20s no longer view themselves as adults. There are various plausible reasons for this, including longer life spans, helicopter parenting, and fewer high paying jobs that allow new college grads to be financially independent at a young age.

Millennials do have to face some issues that previous generations did not. A college degree is now the career equivalent of what a high school degree used to be. This increases the pressure on kids to go to college and makes the process more competitive. The sluggish economy no longer yields a wealth of jobs upon graduation.

Rates of depression are soaring among millennials in college. A 2012 study by the American College Counseling Association reported a 16 percent increase in mental-health visits since 2000 and a significant increase in crisis response over the past five years. According to recent studies, 44 percent of college students experienced symptoms of depression, and suicide is one of the leading causes of death among college students.

It seems as if every article about millennials claims that these kids must all have narcissistic personality disorder. It’s easy to generalize an entire population by its collective Facebook statuses. However, narcissism is not Amy’s problem, or the main problem with millennials.

The big problem is not that they think too highly of themselves. Their bigger challenge is conflict negotiation, and they often are unable to think for themselves. The overinvolvement of helicopter parents prevents children from learning how to grapple with disappointments on their own. If parents are navigating every minor situation for their kids, kids never learn to deal with conflict on their own. Helicopter parenting has caused these kids to crash land.

The Huffington Post and the Wall Street Journal have reported that millennials are now bringing their parents to job interviews, and companies such as LinkedIn and Google are hosting “take your parents to work day.” Parents went from strapping their kids into a Baby Björn carrier to tying their kids’ wing-tips.

A 2013 study in the Journal of Child and Family Studies found that college students who experienced helicopter-parenting reported higher levels of depression and use of antidepressant medications. The researchers suggest that intrusive parenting interferes with the development of autonomy and competence. So helicopter parenting leads to increased dependence and decreased ability to complete tasks without parental supervision.

Amy, like many millennials, was groomed to be an academic overachiever, but she became, in reality, an emotional under-achiever. Amy did not have enough coping skills to navigate normal life stressors—how do I get my laundry and my homework done in the same day; how do I tell my roommate not to watch...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 2, 2013 10:06 PM

...TV without headphones at 3 a.m.?—without her parents’ constant advice or help.

A generation ago, my college peers and I would buy a pint of ice cream and down a shot of peach schnapps (or two) to process a breakup. Now some college students feel suicidal after the breakup of a four-month relationship. Either ice cream no longer has the same magical healing properties, or the ability to address hardships in lacking in many members of this generation.

The era of instant gratification has led to a decrease in what therapists call “frustration tolerance.” This is how we handle upsetting situations, allow for ambiguity, and learn to navigate the normal life circumstances of breakups, bad grades, and layoffs. When we lack frustration tolerance, moderate sadness may lead to suicidality in the self-soothingly challenged.

Maybe millennials are narcissistic, like most 14-year-olds are. And maybe they will outgrow their narcissism later in life if 30 is the new 18. We don't have the data on what millennials will be like when they’re 40. But more importantly, they need to learn how to cope.

Amy is still figuring out how to grow up. After a few months of therapy and medication to stabilize her depression, she started exercising to help relieve anxiety. She started online dating, something she found daunting before, and got a girlfriend. She started applying to grad schools but also made a list of places she wants to apply for jobs. Amy still has no idea what she wants to do when she grows up, but she’s a little less frightened of it now.

by Anonymousreply 122December 2, 2013 10:08 PM

It's really all about jobs. All the psychological crap is just a symptom of a society where the rich have stolen the means of livelihood for a large enough number of people to inhibit and destroy the work ethic which was once the foundation of our society. Don't blame either the millenials or the baby boomers, it's the boomer's parents who imposed this idiot conservative free-trade, anti-union, anti-labor agenda on everyone.

by Anonymousreply 123December 2, 2013 10:10 PM

They boomers' parents may have fought World War II, as directed by their elders, but in terms of understanding how to run the society they inherited, they are not only not the "greatest generation" as they like to claim, but probably the worst generation in history next to the southerners just prior to the Civil War.

by Anonymousreply 124December 2, 2013 10:11 PM

I'll tell you the biggest mistake ever made by us greedy old Baby Boomers:

YOU.

by Anonymousreply 125December 2, 2013 10:58 PM

First up I don't blame the original Baby Boomers for this mess. They actually had a social concience. It's the second half of the baby boom and the first half of GenX (generation jones/the me generation) who have been the ruinous generation.

The Greatest Generation knew exactly what was important; A productive job, a home, time to have fun, financial security, caring for the whole community and education. Time after time they voted for those things for themselves, for their children and for their neighbours. They knew it came at a cost and didn't spend their whole time whining about taxes and welfare.

Cut to the "Me Generation" (who were gifted the best living standards and most secure childhood the world had ever seen) and what did they do? They voted their children into poverty in exchange for a few measly tax cuts. They voted their neighbour's children into a life of incarceration for being irritating. They voted their less fortunate neighbours into unemployment. They voted for rising asset prices and cheap credit. They voted for cheap labor to mow their lawns and wash their clothes. Basically they used their power as a voting block to keep that magic bubble of prosperity around themselves and block everyone else from entering it. They let the Koch Bros and their think tank minions whisper the weasle words in their ears that would justify their own selfish behaviour.

I was born in 1962 and I know damned well what my generation has done.

by Anonymousreply 126December 2, 2013 11:40 PM

Oh, get off the cross, R126. Every generation has to deal with the circumstances they find themselves in.

The Millennials are the best-equipped, most-pampered generation in human history. I'm sure they'll do just fine after we shuffle off this mortal coil.

by Anonymousreply 127December 2, 2013 11:49 PM

Just because I'm not prepared to make excuses for my own generation's selfish behaviour doesn't make me a martyr, just a realist. It doesn't mean everyone was a gullible asshole, but a hell of a lot of us were.

by Anonymousreply 128December 3, 2013 12:11 AM

Some examples as to why we hate Baby Boomers:

Donald Trump Kris Jenner George W. Bush Al Gore Alec Baldwin Nicolas Cage Simon Cowell Ann Coulter

really the list could go on and on and on and on and on and on etc...

by Anonymousreply 129December 3, 2013 2:10 AM

Kim Kardashian Jay-Z Kanye Bieber Paul Ryan Sarah Palin (19 years post-WWII doesn't = "Baby Boomer")

really the list could go on and on and on and on and on and on etc...

by Anonymousreply 130December 3, 2013 2:22 AM

Being a baby boomer has been a hell of a ride - doors just seemed to fly open and so many opportunities. I've never felt despised - just incredibly lucky - I was in the right place at the right time.

I tried to take advantage of my good fortune and I've made an effort to make the world a better place - and think I have at least a little ..

by Anonymousreply 131December 3, 2013 2:24 AM

The generation that the boomers begat have flooded our culture with options like the ability to become adored and world famous by releasing a sex tape. This, I believe, is a first. In the past, nobody in porn has been able to cross over into real stardom.

by Anonymousreply 132December 3, 2013 2:25 AM

Most Baby Boomers( born in the years,1945-1965) blame their parents for everything. My sister and brother are baby boomers and my sister and her friends blame their parents for all their problems.They accuse their parents of things that their parents never did and they.Also,that group of people did away with common manners,and they are the rudest group of people around as well. Over all they are very messed up and they are anti establishment in their way. The are sloppy and neglectful. Not just in their attire, but their conduct how they deal with things.

The Baby Boomer presidents, Clinton, Bush, and Obama suck and they didn't and don't know how to handle positions of authority because they are undignified and tacky. They brought the presidency down.There were presidents who came before these Baby Boomer presidents who had major issues as we all know, but overall, the presidents understood just how important their position was and they weren't relaxed with everyone, as if they about to say, hey, lets hang out. My mother said when she was a little kid, you never ever hugged the president because it was considered disrespectful,but now that is long gone.

Also, the Baby Boomer generation and the generations after them, what they consider elegance, is dull and doesn't immediately grab your attention, and it's a total funk state of mind. There is no spark anymore because of them and their children. I don't blame their children because they don't know because their parents never wanted to teach them what their parents taught them because they ditched. However,previous generations before the Baby Boomer generation, knew how to dazzle and captive with elegance and grandeur. You didn't need to ask if something cost a lot of money. No questions were needed because you just knew.The previous generations were IT,and they knew how to live elegantly.

In general, the previous generations knew what they were doing and they got the job done in most things.

I am Generation X. I was born in 1970.

by Anonymousreply 133December 3, 2013 2:58 AM

so Gen X is NOT on the baby boomers' side...interesting.

by Anonymousreply 134December 3, 2013 3:46 AM

Baby boomers better watch it-who knows what bitter Gen Xers will do in the next 10-15 years once they are totally in power and baby boomers are all retired...senior benefits might be in trouble!!!!

by Anonymousreply 135December 3, 2013 4:12 AM

The vast majority of people are selfish assholes who'd rather not think too hard about anything, regardless of which generation they were born into. People always have, & always will, take to the streets when they're angry/desperate enough. The social progress of the late 20th century was a result of demographic factors (increasingly urbanised & organised populations of minorities) more than the efforts of any one generation. Regardless of age or generation, people are generally reluctant to sacrifice one iota of the comfort and convenience they take for granted to make this world a better or fairer place. We're all cunts, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 136December 3, 2013 4:14 AM

R136 but baby boomers are so self-righteous. They're quick to call out and blame every and anyone else but themselves. They're obnoxious and were unable to maintain the nice conditions in which they grew up.

by Anonymousreply 137December 3, 2013 4:18 AM

Most despised generation in history? MARY! I'm pretty sure the nazis who caused something like 25 million deaths thanks to WWII are a generation far more despised than baby boomers, OP

Then there was the generation before that, which was responsible for WWI.

by Anonymousreply 138December 3, 2013 4:20 AM

Can someone explain to these morons that Simon Cowell, Donald Trump and George W. Bush are not a representative cross section of anything? Or that disliking seven people doesn't justify hating a group of 70 million? Honestly, millennials are too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 139December 3, 2013 4:52 AM

The tl,dr generation frightens me with their inability to handle their external reality. They're too busy admiring themselves in the mirror and listening to themselves think to commune with others.

by Anonymousreply 140December 3, 2013 5:33 AM

More evil, despicable, selfish, self-centered, destructive baby boomers for you, babycakes R139 :

Madonna, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Penn, Lorne Michaels, John Boehner, Mel Gibson, Michele Bachmann, Rush Limbaugh, "Dr." Phil, Mark Burnett, Glenn Beck,

plenty more to name too...

by Anonymousreply 141December 3, 2013 5:34 AM

Every generation has its positives and negatives. And not everyone evinces the stereotype of his or her generation. I'm Gen X and work with both Boomers and Millennials.

The thing I see the most with Boomers is that they overly praise themselves and overly criticize others, and more often than not the criticism would be more rightly aimed at themselves. I'm no psychologist, but I see a lot of projection in this generation.

As for Millennials, I agree with the above about how they can't handle conflict due to constant intervention from their parents. I remember the first time I had a parent call me because her daughter got a bad review from me at work. I was stunned. I had to have HR let the girl know that she could not have her parents call about her work situation. She was an adult now and had to handle things on her own. Um, her parents should have taught her that! Instead, they're interfering in an adult 25 year old woman's life. Unbelievable. Oh, and the parent was a Boomer.

But Gen X has its issues, too. We're all products of our generation and exhibit the influences of our generation, but we're also influenced by those who came before us and the new generation as well.

by Anonymousreply 142December 3, 2013 11:11 AM

R141, you could name 100 baby boomers you dislike and it wouldn't suffice as proof that an entire generation of 70 million is worthless or heroic or whatever. That you felt that ten more names would prove your case is both tragic and touching. My heart goes out to you. Please channel your anger into something productive. And please tell me you're not an adult. That would make me feel much better.

by Anonymousreply 143December 3, 2013 6:55 PM

I've never heard that, about any generation. Anyway, such statements are ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 144December 3, 2013 7:11 PM

R142 your post simply furthers the notion that not only are baby boomers annoying to deal with, they make their children annoying to deal with as well. They baby boomers are an impossibly obnoxious bunch.

by Anonymousreply 145December 3, 2013 10:26 PM

I don't think the Scandanavian baby boomers have anything to be ashamed of.

by Anonymousreply 146December 3, 2013 10:30 PM

I think Baby Boomers are ridiculous and self-aggrandizing to a dangerous degree. Hell, Joni Mitchell, herself a Baby Boom baby, said on Charlie Rose that her generation is single-handedly responsible for the current state of America due to narcissism, greed and short-sightedness.

I often consider Millenials to be something out of a horror-comedy. They are appalling in their rudeness and narcissism, but they are so dumb and incompetent it is funny. Their addiction to self-marketing and technology will be their undoing

Can we have a Gen X thread, anybody? I remember reading way back when about Gen X being in the shadow of yuppies, etc. I wonder how we're doing now. I am Gen X and I'm interested to read how people consider this particular generation.

by Anonymousreply 147December 3, 2013 10:52 PM

I don't accept your premise. We hate Baby Boomers because they raised the next sorry generation, who are raising this last batch of losers.

by Anonymousreply 148December 3, 2013 11:01 PM

[quote]Joni Mitchell, herself a Baby Boom baby, said on Charlie Rose that her generation is single-handedly responsible for the current state of America due to narcissism, greed and short-sightedness.

Which is a ridiculous generalization. The last baby boomers turned 50 this year, so in January, the first Gen X-ers start turning 50. They have been in power positions along side Boomers for some time now. And what of even younger assholes like Aaron Shock?

The abysmal state of America can't be laid at one generation's doorstep.

by Anonymousreply 149December 3, 2013 11:15 PM

by Anonymousreply 150December 3, 2013 11:27 PM

OP

STFU and get back to work. I want my full social security check, and you're going to fund it bitch!

Signed 55 and looking forward to retirement.

by Anonymousreply 151December 4, 2013 1:26 AM

R147 you Gen Xers are often laughed at for being late 30s to mid 40s yet trying to act younger. Look at how many Gen Xers latch on to Millenial trends like posting selfies constantly on instagram and twitter?

R149 wrong-next year the last of the baby boomers will be 50. The baby boomer age group is noted as being born between 1946 and 1964. That generation has been in power for longer than others because most don't have an 18 year span. We still have another 10-15 years until most of the baby boomers are retired.

R150 you are a Gen Xer yes.

R151 you better watch it-Gen Xers seem to be very angry with baby boomers and might take away some of what you tried to get in retirement.

by Anonymousreply 152December 4, 2013 1:58 AM

Baby Boomers are such fucking hypocrites. All of the shit from the 60s was just a bunch of spoiled children rebelling against their mommies and daddies and then they turned around and became their mommies and daddies. I'm so thankful that I'm an Xer, the first generation that actually took responsibility for our own actions.

by Anonymousreply 153December 4, 2013 2:05 AM

R150, you are GenY, Nickelodeon TRL generation maybe?

by Anonymousreply 154December 4, 2013 2:42 AM

by Anonymousreply 155December 4, 2013 3:08 AM

But R76, the problem with prior generations who bought the "hard work and long hours" crap as being noble have lead to a society where people are expected to work hard at long hours with little, or sometimes NO, pay. Corporations encouraged the "hard work and long hours" belief and your generation just played right into it, because you got benefits and decent pay and could spend your whole life in one career, maybe even at one company. Your generation worshiped companies because of what they gave you, and in turn you gave them a kind of power that will be screwing us for generations.

The persistent cries of "work harder and stop being poor" from your generation hasn't stopped, and it's harming the whole society. It's a vicious combination of your generation's fear of change, combined with an innate desire to blame the victim.

by Anonymousreply 156December 4, 2013 3:11 AM

by Anonymousreply 157December 4, 2013 3:16 AM

R107, you, like a lot of Boomers, need to stop thinking only about your own experiences and look at the real world.

A lot of GenXers tried protests, and they never worked, in part because your own protests didn't do as much as you retroactively claim. Also, protesting in your generation was largely a fad, just like free love and pot and face painting. Those who began as legit protesters and hippies who truly desired social change were overwhelmed by the white middle class kids who had the financial and social standing to (a) afford to "drop out" for a while, and (b) go to college and avoid the draft. Many of these kids were in it for kicks, not social change, and they went on in later years to be yuppies and Reaganites.

But my generation, at least as teens, bought into the whole protesting culture, and tried it ourselves. Turned out the establishment had some pretty effective ways of shutting protests down, after all those years of practice. And it also turned out that half the Boomers (usually our college professors) were telling us protesting doesn't matter, the other half actively trying to shut us down.

It's only gotten worse. Remember "free speech zones" and the silent dances at the Capitol where kids were being arrested for no reason? Did you see what happened to the Occupy movement? Or maybe you remember a little thing at Kent State University where our own government fucking killed its citizens for protesting, and then pushed relatively successful PR to the point that a lot of YOUR generation thinks those kids deserved to die?

Take your self-righteous ass home, bitch. Your self-satisfied rants filled with lies are the reason we hate you.

P.S. Stop calling us "kids." We're in our 40s, you dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 158December 4, 2013 3:28 AM

omfg R158 you're hilarious but you totally read R107 for filth!

by Anonymousreply 159December 4, 2013 4:17 AM

Actually, the lesson of 60s radicalism was that to have real power, one had to work within the system. And so many radicals went back to school and became lawyers and ultimately politicians.

The country is in a state of economic malaise and it may never recover. I understand the appeal of pointing fingers at baby boomers but it's unproductive. It's not going to get you a better job or an improved standard of living.

by Anonymousreply 160December 4, 2013 4:17 AM

The baby Boomers are a spoiled generation of people. Their parents had it rough and they tried to make life better for their children so they didn't have to go through the stuff that they did, but unfortunately they turned out to be brats who still blame their parents for everything, all of their problems, and all of societies problems. The Baby Boomers think they are totally blameless and they claim all the bad comes from their parents generation and generations after them.They think they are squeaky clean which is complete haughty. Billy Joel, who is a Baby Boomer, wrote the song, We Didn't Start The Fire, encapsulates the blame game the Baby Boomers always pull.

On one of those ask and answer websites, someone asked, what is Billy Joel's song We Didn't Start The Fire about? Here is a person's answer to that question which is typical:

In a phrase popular in the Sixties, he "tells it like it is"~or was. It's a mindbogglingly compex song that hits so many very important moments, showing that all sorts of problems go much farther back than young people realize. It's a dazzling display of selecting exactly the right words and phrases to bring rushes of memory.

But, do younger generations even care to find out what the song is about? It's a crash course in history, that's for certain!

It has to be one of the most powerful, amazing, remarkable songs ever written.

"We Didn't Start the Fire" has a message that most people don't seem to understand: Bad things have happened for as long as man has been around. Baby Boomers have been taking the blame for a lot of bad, and Billy Joel's song says, "You're wrong!" Actually, Boomers have done a great deal to help. Most of you don't remember what highways used to look like~unending trash, billboards and signs~not just road signs but all sorts of advertising. You probably don't remember black and gray smoke belching forth from factories' smokestacks before "scrubbers" were demanded. Lead-free gasoline, nutritional information on packages, vitamin-enriched products, and a lot more came about, as did the need to build better schools and larger everything because Boomers encompass more people than any generational group before (1946-64, by the way). Many things had to change to accommodate us. Besides, would you be sitting at a PC right now?

Let me add, I'm the poster born in 1970 and who is Generation X. I hate the late 60s tremendously. I like the early 60s and anytime before and after the late 60s.The early 60s were an elegant, simple time and they were the Kennedy years but the late 60s really did incredible damage to this country in so many ways and we are still paying for years of recklessness, hippie garbage, and so many other forms of BS that happen and eventually caused great problems that we are still dealing with it to a certain extent.

The Baby Boomers act like they accomplished something monumental when all they accomplished was getting high, ODing, and acting like complete jerks in society. The Baby Boomers reminisce those years as special memories, really? getting stoned, and not washing with your filthy hair hanging down to your ass are memories? Please! Also, causing a lot of serious problems in society to deal with as well? Someone may respond to what I'm saying with, well how would you know about those years? you weren't even born yet! If that question dose come up, my answer to you is this, The American Revolution happen 260 years ago,and no one in this present day and age wasn't around then but we know by observing various historical aspects and information that gives the modern day observer a strong grasp. Also, with TV, radio, film and other forms of tangible as well as written forms of history from the 20th century, we have gained a considerable advantage to grasp those years.

by Anonymousreply 161December 4, 2013 10:16 AM

Breathtaking stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 162December 4, 2013 12:39 PM

So I skip to the end of the thread and I'm about to post when I get a load of R161 and am thunderstruck that anyone should see the need to expound at such length on this (or any other DataLounge) subject. So I won't.

by Anonymousreply 163December 4, 2013 1:20 PM

"the late 60s really did incredible damage to this country in so many ways and we are still paying for years of recklessness, hippie garbage, and so many other forms of BS that happen and eventually caused great problems that we are still dealing with it to a certain extent."

Yeah, all that "hippie garbage" like assassinations and attempted ones, VietNam, the officially-named ploice riot in Chicago 1968, and Watergate (1972, but still Nixon Era).

r161 is an arse.

by Anonymousreply 164December 4, 2013 1:24 PM

As has been stated before, let me remind you, that the Baby Boomers are now supporting two generations: their parents and their children. The so-called Millennials are the most despised because they are over-the-board self-centered, expect everything handed to them, and expect to be praised just for existing. But then, of course, they would blame the Baby Boomers for anything that goes wrong in their lives because they don't hold themselves responsible for anything whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 165December 4, 2013 1:29 PM

To the poster who said that boomers ended a war, freed women of their societal shackles, and helped put an end to racism and homophobia: not really.

by Anonymousreply 166December 4, 2013 1:29 PM

"The so-called Millennials are the most despised because they are over-the-board self-centered, expect everything handed to them, and expect to be praised just for existing."

gee, I wonder if their more-than-likely-baby-boomer parents had anything to do with that?

by Anonymousreply 167December 4, 2013 1:41 PM

R167: For the most part (there are exceptions)the millennials are not the children of the Baby Boomers, they are the grandchildren of the Baby Boomers. The Baby Boomer's child is more in their late 30s/40s now.

by Anonymousreply 168December 4, 2013 2:21 PM

ploice = police.

by Anonymousreply 169December 4, 2013 5:51 PM

Moreover, r167 and r168, where does one stop? Does one blame the WWII generation for Boomers? The Victorians for the former? Georgians for.....? ETC.

by Anonymousreply 170December 4, 2013 5:53 PM

R168 not true at all. You're mistaken. Most Baby Boomers have Millennial children. Only at the beginning of the generation or who had children very young actually have Gen X kids.

Baby Boomers (1946-1964) Gen X (1965-1979) Millennials (1980-1999)

The oldest Gen Xers have Millennial children but most belong to Baby Boomers

by Anonymousreply 171December 4, 2013 6:02 PM

Not true, R168. I'm a 58 year old Boomer and my kids are Millennials (24 and 28). It's quite typical where I grew up and where I live now (both large cities). When I was a teenager and in my early 20's in the 70's, nobody was interested in breeding. No doubt it was different if you lived in the sticks or were poor/working class and got married straight out of high school, but I'm talking about the mainstream, middle-to-upper class experience for kids who were college-bound.

If I had a 40 year old kid now, I would have been 18 when I had it! Many of us didn't have kids until we were in our 30's. And that's fairly typical for people that I know here in NYC. Kids are now in their 20's (Millennials), adults are in their 50's to mid-60's (Boomers).

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the Boomer generation is not monolithic. Some of them married and started families in their late teens/early 20's, but many of us didn't. Just as some of them voted for Reagan but many of us didn't.

by Anonymousreply 172December 4, 2013 6:25 PM

What R172 said. People born in the 1950s tended not to have children until the 1980s. Women wanted careers before having children, and so they did.

by Anonymousreply 173December 4, 2013 6:37 PM

BBs may have made many issues mainstream, but they most certainly did not invent these issues. Feminism, organic agriculture, animal rights, racial equality, ecology and the back-to-nature movement, the use of Marijuana and other illegal drugs, technology all these things had their roots much earlier. Even the slang such as groovy, man, hip, all those were appropriated from Black culture.

So, yes, they did create change in our world, although they most certainly DID NOT begin the movements they popularized. Yes, they had a scruffy, selfish, spoiled side. But, I'd rather live now than in the 1950s or earlier. You can keep their horrible music, however.

by Anonymousreply 174December 4, 2013 6:42 PM

I also find that Baby Boomers tend to have the loudest and most extreme disagreements with each other in politics. Think about all those talking head shows on the various networks, whether conservative or liberal, the "debates" are insane. Baby Boomers even hate each other!

by Anonymousreply 175December 4, 2013 8:22 PM

Another thing-baby boomers whining about "prices aren't the same as when I was a kid! I remember when a nickel bought you a whole bag of apples". STFU.

by Anonymousreply 176December 5, 2013 7:16 AM

EVERY generation does that when they get old, idiot at r176. The "old folks" always yap about how much better "the good old days" were, and how much cheaper everything was.

When you hit 65, you'll be moaning about how wonderful it was to pay $4.50 for a gallon of gas instead of $30.00. How great it was to have twitter and Facebook before they got replaced by whatever "it" social media thing in 2040 happened. How TV was better when you only had 300 channels to choose from. How much better it was when films starred Oscar-winning icons like Anne Hathaway.

And the Mid-Millenials will gripe about how everything they don't like is your fault.

by Anonymousreply 177December 5, 2013 8:43 AM

Oh LOL [R177] ain't that the truth.

by Anonymousreply 178December 13, 2013 12:18 PM

I know people have been saying for generations that their life when they were younger was much better than the younger generations. However, I think today it is a fact. We live in a complex age which has some great positives such as technological breakthroughs in science and the medical field. Cures have been made and people are able to live longer.

However, we went from an age which people were able to leave their front doors unlocked, to be on high alert for terrorist attacks. Enjoying life in public arenas and thinking anything bad could happen was far from their minds in those once non stressful arenas to people who are mentally ill taking their aggression out on strangers in a public place and randomly shooting at them and then killing themselves. Now, something that was so routine and simple without a care in the world now people stress before hand going to those places because the what if floats around their minds. What was once routine and known is now unknown to an extent.

Life used to be simpler, but it wasn't 100% perfect.There were social issues to deal with which will always be a part of life of course. Things were cheaper, people were not greedy so much as they are now. Neighbors knew one another and socialized much more than sitting at a screen and interacting with it like I'm doing now. Holidays were a super fun time with famliy and friends instead of materialism dominating Christmas. As a nation, we were once very united and strong and now we are so divided and angry at each other because of stupid politics is destroying us. It goes on and on ,so I think we have reached the point in American history which the predictable talk from elders who say to the younger generations that life was better when they were younger without out a doubt true.

by Anonymousreply 179December 15, 2013 2:42 AM

I'm a very early Gen X-er (born in late 1965) and I have two of the most selfish, immature, undignified, pathologically narcissistic Baby Boomer parents you could imagine. EVERYTHING is about them, ALWAYS. Even now at an advanced age they continue to behave like 2 year olds.

I have two Millennials (born in 92 and 93) but I deliberately raised them in a traditional, religious home. They are polite, well mannered and both serving in the armed forces. A lot of us Gen X-ers learned how to parent by doing the exact opposite of what our selfish, rotten Baby Boomer parents did.

Baby Boomers have well earned their greedy, childish, selfish reputation. I think we really plummeted spiritually and in all things decent during WWII to have born a generation like the Baby Boomers. They are truly a wicked generation.

by Anonymousreply 180December 15, 2013 4:10 PM

I like being "wicked" R180. You sound boring and that ain't cool.

by Anonymousreply 181December 15, 2013 4:25 PM

Generalization of any group sucks.

by Anonymousreply 182December 15, 2013 4:36 PM

181, Babe, that's the problem with your generation. Children call reason "boring", enjoy being wicked and want above all to be "cool". I'd tell you to grow up but at your guys age if you haven't already you simply don't want to.

By the way, no one pushing 70 looks good being "wicked" and "cool". They look embarrassing and pathetic and they are the only ones who can't see it.

by Anonymousreply 183December 15, 2013 4:45 PM

Frame that last part, r183; you'll need to read it to yourself eventually.

by Anonymousreply 184December 15, 2013 8:10 PM

r180, are you a parodist? Because you sound like a raging nutcase who worships FOX and votes for Palin.

by Anonymousreply 185December 15, 2013 8:11 PM

R180, 183, Babe,

What the hell are you doing on a gay site? Seriously answer that question.

Feeding your sons to the Bush/Cheney war machine is not a noble thing and no one who isn't drinking the kool aid is going to agree with you.

And when we start talking about "that's the trouble with your generation". Well your generation has a sense of humor and a sense of joy and you do not. So see it ain't all generational.

by Anonymousreply 186December 15, 2013 8:26 PM

The two problems I see in this thread is that a generation of people is not monolithic and the definition of Boomer is off.

A popular idea is that all young people were counter-culture commune living hippies back in the 1960s when most were merely copying fashion trends. Maybe they went to college in Madison or San Francisco and burnt their draft cards or wore flowers in their hair but then they went back home and got pretty conventional jobs. As if the majority of skinny jeaned fedora wearers who moved to Brooklyn in the last 5 years are going to end up as famous writers and film makers instead of IT geeks and department managers. You can't really generalize about a generation's politics either, the country is pretty much evenly divided on Republican or Democrat, most of the last Presidential elections were very close.

Then there's the age thing. Maybe the boom lasted for 18 years but being born in '64 is way too late to be considered part of the same generation as someone born in '46, '55 is even a different generation. Woodstock was in '69, if you were 5, watching that new program Sesame Street, you have nothing culturally in common with people who were 18, then legally allowed to drink (and be drafted). There is a generation in the middle called Generation Jones, considered '57-'66. We grew up on glam rock, then punk rock and were sick of the AOR stuff that dominated pop culture. For example punk clubs in '77 would have a No Boomer policy. Culturally there was a distinct age demarcation.

Having a social conscious has little to do with the generation. There are oblivious people, rich and poor, young and old. The 'greatest generation' had the Depression and WWII and that made them resilient. Hard times now and to come will test us all.

by Anonymousreply 187December 15, 2013 9:54 PM

Lol, sorry I'm upsetting you by not towing the gay party line. All of us aren't the same you know.

I tell a 65+ Boomer who "likes being wicked" and thinks it "aint cool to be boring" to grow up so you assume I worship Fox and voted for Palin?

My kids are in the army so they are in the Bush/Cheney war machine? First of all, Obama has been president for the last 5 years genius! Secondly, we're not even in America anymore. I said "armed forces", not U.S. army.

I said I raised my sons in a traditional, religious manner but didn't specify what religion or any other specific detail but you assume I am am "raging nutcase".

You do become clownish when someone deviates from the party line don't you? It must be all you have.

I've been divorced for 13 years, am out and proud and have done something significant with my life in raising my boys as a single parent.

Go back to your vacuous, alcoholic, self absorbed, empty life and keep rebelling against against your imagined Big, Bad Conservative Daddy (whilst simultaneously wanting to get f*cked by him).

by Anonymousreply 188December 15, 2013 11:40 PM

R188's panties are pinching and she blames mommy and daddy.

Ooooos a good girl? yooooos a good girl.

by Anonymousreply 189December 15, 2013 11:51 PM

[quote]All of us aren't the same you know.

Unless of course, they disagree with you, then they're all:

[quote]vacuous, alcoholic, self absorbed, empty life and keep rebelling against against your imagined Big, Bad Conservative Daddy (whilst simultaneously wanting to get f*cked by him).

Gross. I feel sorry for your children.

by Anonymousreply 190December 15, 2013 11:54 PM

We betrayed our parents' generation by not building upon what they built, and lying to next generations by stealing their financial future with our greed. Cutting property taxes in California was the end of America.

I remember how college was almost free in California in the 1970s. Now GenXers end up owning tens of thousands to banks to attend a lousy Jr. college, only to earn a diploma that can't get them a job. And their stupid Boomer parents blame them for not getting a job!

The Brothers Koch and their think-tanks are mentioned on this thread. One think-tank that should be also noted is the Rand Corp. In the 1980s I used to work with a woman whose husband was a researcher there. Some of the inside info she told me was how the big thinkers there came up the idea of persuading banks to create NGOs to encourage wives to enter the job market. With two incomes to consider for mortgages, the same banks were able to raise the interest rate.

Greedy Boomers joined the think-tank created real estate bubble that helped destroy this country. If only people could realized how much their behavior is engineered by right-wing psychopaths, but Boomers are generally too stupid to see beyond their own need for immediate gratification.

by Anonymousreply 191January 24, 2014 1:50 PM

Good post, R187. I seem to recall that years ago, the Baby Boom cut-off was 1959 or 1960. Somehow over the years it migrated up to 1964. But I'm old and perhaps my memory fails me.

I was born in 1955 and even as a "yoot", I felt the demarcation between those of us born in the early to mid-50's and those born in the early 60's. I don't have much in common, from a generational standpoint, with somebody born in 1964 in the same way that my Millenial kids (born in the 1980's) probably won't feel much in common with fellow Millenials born in 2000.

As for the Boomer hate, have at it! I just discovered that Art Pope and that guy in Michigan - forget his name but he's doing the same thing in MI that Pope is doing in NC - are 58 years old, just like me. All I can say is, I'm sorry and I hope future generations will do better. But I doubt that they will.

by Anonymousreply 192January 24, 2014 2:32 PM

A very appropriate article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193February 19, 2014 11:02 PM

Thanks, R193.

by Anonymousreply 194February 19, 2014 11:12 PM

Amazingly informative and accurate site about the damage baby boomers have done to the country:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195February 23, 2014 2:28 AM

They have lived high on the hog, stealing from future generations to do it. The quality of life for future generations is on the decline, not on the rise. Those caught smack in the middle of the end of the U.S. status as an economic superpower will suffer greatly. No retirement for them.

by Anonymousreply 196February 23, 2014 2:32 AM

What bothers me is how so many baby boomers refuse to take care of their parents. If they can afford it, they'll lazily throw them in an old folks home. For the last 20 years or so this has been an issue. In the next 10 years it will be over as most of the previous generation will have passed but it always annoyed me.

Baby boomers are just so fucking selfish.

by Anonymousreply 197April 1, 2014 8:58 PM

I LOATHE Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 198April 1, 2014 9:05 PM

My generation is red hot - your generation aint doodley squat.*

*Level of discourse on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 199April 1, 2014 9:15 PM

and of course those same baby boomers will whine and cry when their own children don't care of them, even though they were the ones who taught them this selfish behavior.

by Anonymousreply 200April 1, 2014 9:25 PM

1. They took all the goods jobs and they sent the rest over to China, Mexico and India.

2. They ran up the national debt and now expect others to pay it off, while they have an easy retirement.

3. They see nothing wrong with 1 or 2

by Anonymousreply 201April 1, 2014 9:41 PM

I HATE most of the Baby Boomers that I work with. They are such miserable bitches (especially the men) and no matter how nice you are to them, they try to look down on the younger ones as if they're superior or something.

Can't stand them.

by Anonymousreply 202April 1, 2014 9:50 PM

R135 - Wishful thinking. Maybe in 30-40 years, but by then, we'll be a Muslim nation living under Sharia law, so it really won't matter anyway.

by Anonymousreply 203April 1, 2014 10:13 PM

R135 - Wishful thinking. Maybe in 30-40 years, but by then, we'll be a Muslim nation living under Sharia law, so it really won't matter anyway.

by Anonymousreply 204April 1, 2014 10:13 PM

Well, soon they will all be in diapers and in need of the help of younger people to feed themselves and revenge will be sweet.

by Anonymousreply 205April 1, 2014 11:31 PM

The babyboomers are not responsible for your being a failure, OP and other whiners. Please don't displace your self-hatred on them. Healthy people do not hate entire generations--or really anyone for very long. Even Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 206April 2, 2014 6:00 AM

take care of your fucking aging parents! Why don't baby boomers want to, or feel like it's not their responsibility?

by Anonymousreply 207April 2, 2014 7:59 AM

The Baby Boomers elected Reagan and GW Bush. Enough proof.

by Anonymousreply 208April 2, 2014 1:01 PM

[quote]The Baby Boomers elected Reagan and GW Bush. Enough proof.

I didn't vote for either of them. I can't believe there are people who would blame people of a certain age, as opposed to people of a certain political leaning, for these excrescences. What faulty thinking on your part.

by Anonymousreply 209April 2, 2014 1:06 PM

I have more problems with "The Greatest Generation", the one that would only allow black men to die in segregated units in WWII and had a rule that no white soldier in that war could be given an order by a black man, nor salute a black man. And did their best to withhold VA benefits and medals of valor from black soldiers.

Really great!!!

by Anonymousreply 210April 2, 2014 1:07 PM

Can't the US Government just seize the assets of the Baby Boomer Generation, to undo the damage they did?

by Anonymousreply 211April 2, 2014 4:52 PM

I've the Greatest Generation peeps something of a pass. Baby Boomers are the worst. They are just horrid.

by Anonymousreply 212April 2, 2014 4:56 PM

R210 well what about the baby boomers who are in power now? unfortunately some of them are quite racist, misogynistic and homophobic. Why else are the laws so slow to change, or have trouble being enforced?

Then there are talking heads like Bill O'Reilly who spew hate about non-whites, non-christians non-heteros.

by Anonymousreply 213April 3, 2014 3:19 AM

[R16] Yes!

by Anonymousreply 214April 3, 2014 3:24 AM

I'm a boomer. When I graduated from college I couldn't get a job, and neither could most of my friends. The people in the graduating classes ahead of us had their choice of jobs. None of us could get jobs in our fields.

I helped care for both of my parents at home until they died.

I didn't vote for Bush or for Reagan.

Actually looking around at all my boomer friends, I think I'm pretty typical. I don't know one who has thrown a parent into a nursing home or voted Republican.

by Anonymousreply 215April 3, 2014 3:32 AM

I'm fascinated by the boomers on her trying to say the boomers aren't the worst generation and then giving examples of why they're not the worst generation. Boomers are selfish and spoiled and turned their back on everything they were supposedly fighting for. Racism, sexism, gay rights, the minute they got into power they gave the big middle finger to all of that. Hypocrites, the entire lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 216April 3, 2014 3:43 AM

R215 you're atypical. Most baby boomers are guilty of at least 1 of the things you mentioned you didn't do.

by Anonymousreply 217April 3, 2014 3:46 AM

]quote]Lol, sorry I'm upsetting you by not towing the gay party line.

Oh, dear, [R188].

by Anonymousreply 218April 3, 2014 9:15 AM

The worst thing boomers did, was demand the world accept that every one of their children is a genius. This is why these kids, now Gen-Y adults, are such entitled, unemployable brats.

by Anonymousreply 219April 3, 2014 1:08 PM

I can't stand the baby boomers who try to dress, talk and act young-whether they're a divorced mother/father or a never-married-and-childless person, stop trying to recapture your youth. It's just not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 220April 3, 2014 5:16 PM

serious baby boomers, just what is your problem? Why did you have to fuck everything up and then blame everyone else?

by Anonymousreply 221April 3, 2014 8:18 PM

R221, Its from the LSD

by Anonymousreply 222April 3, 2014 8:28 PM

The worst thing about boomers are their inconsequential unhirable entitled millennial/gen y children

by Anonymousreply 223April 3, 2014 8:30 PM

I agree with that.

In spite of all the nasty things the Baby Boomers did, bankrupting the economy, sending all the jobs overseas, eliminating the checks and balances on Wall Street, their children are their worst creations. Having said this, Gen-Y will have little power to mess things up, as they will all be up to their eyeballs in college tuition debt and working never ending, part-time at minimum wage - thanks to their Boomer Parents.

by Anonymousreply 224April 3, 2014 9:09 PM

A lot of you forget that many boomers have Gen X kids too. There were A LOT of teen and early 20 pregnancies thanks to the "free love!" sex and drug culture.

Hell, I'm under 30 (Gen Y guy) and the last guy I dated was 39 (a Gen Xer). Our parents were the same age (early 60s).

It's not like Gen X is a great generation.

by Anonymousreply 225April 3, 2014 10:10 PM

FUCK YOU BOOMERS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226May 21, 2014 10:28 PM

I'm a late baby boomer - born 1962. When I graduated from college in 1984, it was hard as hell to find work. I worked my way through college at McDonald's. After graduation, I worked as a babysitter, at a popcorn/ice cream store, at a fitness center, all kinds of things that had nothing to do with my major.

When I moved to New York in the late '80s I had one full-time job at the same time as anywhere from one to three part-time jobs for most of my career until I finally settled into the job I'm in now - in my 50s. I will have to work here for 17 more years to get full pension/retirement. The new attitude that absolutely blows my mind is that of the young people just out of college who are pissed off that older people aren't retiring so they can have those jobs! Just unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 227May 21, 2014 10:57 PM

They haven't suffered nearly enough.

by Anonymousreply 228May 21, 2014 11:31 PM

I know in our family the Greatest Generation fully supported the Boomer, provided periods of employment, assisted with the down payment on a house and moving expenses, etc. despite said Boomer by then having a well-paying job. Boomer moved out of state and rarely visits. Meanwhile the two left behind Xers got nada, helpwise, yet are guilted into looking after the age-old Greatests.

by Anonymousreply 229May 21, 2014 11:47 PM

haaaaaaaa articles like THIS don't help your cause:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230June 6, 2014 4:37 AM

Not for long. WE will be the most despised by future generations. Upcoming generations will be dealing directly with the consequences of climate change and worldwide environmental destruction. They'll look back and marvel how everyone in the world was warned, saw it coming, saw it happening, and flatly refused to do anything out of stupidity, greed and apathy. I'm afraid that will overshadow anything positive we've achieved.

by Anonymousreply 231June 15, 2014 6:18 PM

What is the generation born after 1981 called?

by Anonymousreply 232June 15, 2014 6:21 PM

Most young people in the 60s weren't even remotely actively involved in anything countercultural. At best a few of them were weekend-hippies, the whole notion that every 20-something in the 60s was an idealistic rebel is BS. What you have to remember is that there were so many young people back them, so even the rebelious and outspoken minority were still big enough to make a ruckus.

by Anonymousreply 233June 15, 2014 7:26 PM

Kill everyone between 60 and 70 and you will have wiped out the most obnoxious of the Boomers.

Save a ton on SS, discounts, Roth IRAs, too

by Anonymousreply 234June 15, 2014 7:49 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 235March 11, 2015 8:49 PM

well looky looky looky! This article discusses a study that PROVES how spoiled baby boomers were when they were younger. Most saw very nice raises in salary between the 80s and 90s (so basically right away once they started working). This kinda proves things went to shit once baby boomers took over control of the government/country as things have been downhill for a while now:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 11, 2015 7:35 PM

Meanwhile the whiners were raised by the boomers. I suspect that's the problem, OP didn't get what he believes he was entitled to.

by Anonymousreply 237April 11, 2015 8:13 PM

R237 you realize there's no greater generation who felt a sense of entitlement than boomers? They grew up believing everything would be wonderful and for the most part it was when they younger until they hit their 40s and 50s. Now that things don't always go their way they've become unhinged and have fucked things up for future generations.

by Anonymousreply 238April 11, 2015 8:19 PM

oh brother...now despite all the shit boomers have done, we're gonna have to take care of the unmarried, childless boomers!

We now have a new term "elder orphans"

Baby Boomers are just the most entitled, lucky group ever. Get ready Gen X and Millennials. OUR tax money will likely be taking care of "elder orphan" boomers who aren't even our relatives!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 15, 2015 5:18 PM

My generation will be working until we drop dead, thanks to the greedy Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 240May 15, 2015 5:40 PM

Bored now.

by Anonymousreply 241May 15, 2015 5:41 PM

Because the US Media have spent the last 40 years telling you how horrible they are - because they seriously rebelled against the racism, sexism, warmongering, drug-demonizing and environmental crimes of their parents' generation. The Nixon-Reagan-McCarthy-George Wallace generation.

They were the last generation to be forced to go to war and the first to rebel against the military industrial complex, drug laws, and sexual prudery and hypocrisy. They also created the foundations of the current tech world.

Also, they had fun - way too much of it for the national media and the Establishment that only values other people in terms of workforce.

Since then, kids have been tamed, first by being turned into Reaganbot Nazi Youth in the 1980s and now by being enslaved with college debt and crappy McJobs.

by Anonymousreply 242May 15, 2015 5:42 PM

[quote]My mother is of the Greatest Generation. She calls Obama 'that communist n----r," when she thinks I can't hear her.

[quote]Nice greatest generation, huh?

They never said that about Thurgood Marshall .

They know a wooden nickel when they see one.

by Anonymousreply 243May 15, 2015 5:45 PM

R7 They had to outsource because if they didn't the computer part you pay $200 for would easily cost $500 and computers and other technical equipment would also cost more than double... only the upper middle-class could afford to buy tech/electronics, that's why they sent work overseas so it was affordable to the average worker/person... not b/c they wanted to.

They actually wanted the jobs to go to Americans, but it not only drove up the price of the product, making it NOT affordable to most, Americans didn't want the menial jobs.

Realistically, as far as outsourcing, they couldn't possibly have stayed in business if they didn't outsource.

There was a widespread (and very serious) labor shortage then. I was there, immersed in the technology, including the development of the Internet, hiring techie people in Silicon Valley from the late 1980's to 2004 -- that's how I know. I knew the age of every hire -- sorry, very few Gen Xer's. And, the very few that were there, were in entry-level minimum wage jobs, such as receptionist or mail clerk.

So, FYI - the baby boomers are the ones who developed the technology that your generation uses to bash and trash an entire generation who gave you the technology to do so.

Over ninety percent of those who played a role in the technology and took the Internet from the Defense industry's Post-War baby generation and developed it, and created the interface and Browser are baby boomers... not Gen Xer's.

Again, I was there. While we were working day and night doing that, Gen X was somewhere between learning cursive writing AND trying to get a date for the Junior Prom or waiting for their college/university letter of acceptance.

With the exception of a very small percentage of the oldest Gen Xer's, born from the first wave of baby boomers, Gen X did not enter into the technology sector until way AFTER all was said and done. They came along way after the fact and simply miniaturized what was already there as well as upgraded, along with some fancy-schmancy marketing and some add-ons.

Get over yourself and stop believing the lies you were told by ignorant people.

by Anonymousreply 244May 15, 2015 6:35 PM

News flash to R240: A whole lot of baby boomers will be working til they're dead, too. For one thing, the traditional pension was eliminated by the Greatest Generation when Ronald Reagan pandered to big business in the 1980s an signed 401Ks into law.

For another: Baby boomers are still helping support and care for their own parents, who will not fucking die despite being in their late 80s. For another, baby boomers' kids will not fucking leave home.

But it's all because boomers are so selfish. Riiggghhts.

by Anonymousreply 245May 15, 2015 7:04 PM

r242, you're saying that Baby Boomers rebelled against those things? Then perhaps all 5 of them died right after the rebellion because I don't see any trace of their existence today.

by Anonymousreply 246May 15, 2015 7:19 PM

[quote]For another, baby boomers' kids will not fucking leave home.

Have you seen the cost of housing lately? Very few young people can afford it without parental help.

by Anonymousreply 247May 15, 2015 7:36 PM

lmao R239 !!!!! that term "elder orphans" is fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 248May 19, 2015 3:33 AM

Exactly, R45

by Anonymousreply 249May 19, 2015 11:16 AM

Nice job adding to their legacy with the election today. They will go down as a hated generation

by Anonymousreply 250November 9, 2016 8:16 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 251April 1, 2017 7:27 PM

yup, worst generation ever. I'm one of them, we ****ed everyone and everything under the guise of social conscience...We gave this world the lie of trickle down economics, deregulation, Reaganism, Thatcherism and now this new and exciting crop of sociopathic politicians we have serving us today – worldwide. I reiterate, worst generation ever, guilty as charged, self-centred gas bags who cashed in the Peace symbol for a Mercedes symbol in a New York minute, turned society into the ugly, ravenous and insane planet consumer/destroyer it has become and have screwed all those who follow for at least the next 200 years...yes sir, the devolution of humankind happened under our watch. one thing though, we did have the best music, it’s just that we didn’t understand what it was trying to tell us, hell, even most of the musicians didn't get it. Keep looking out for #1, ***k the doomed and have a nice day. Ok, gotta go die now...

by Anonymousreply 252August 2, 2019 5:01 PM

JFK, RFK, and MLK all died to give the Baby Boomers a better world.

The BB's took that world and handed it over to Ronald Reagan.

The BB's made a conscious decision to embrace "Greed is Good".

by Anonymousreply 253August 2, 2019 5:50 PM

They get so sad when they're all like, "but we gave you personal computers and Led Zeppelin!" and we're all like, "hurry up and die so I can inherit." Lol!

by Anonymousreply 254August 2, 2019 6:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!