Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BREAKING: Ian McKellen outs Julie Andrews!

From Michael Musto...

I couldn't shut my von Trapp at the Edison Ballroom opening night party for the Broadway version of Breakfast at Tiffany's, where I ate a few dozen of my favorite things.

In between all that, I barreled up to Hobbit-forming thesp Sir Ian McKellen—who's an officiant on the side—and said, "When I read that you're marrying Patrick Stewart, I thought that meant you were marrying each other." "No, you didn't," he replied, impishly. Oh, well, good try.

McKellen quickly switched gears and started raving about the way the cast had taken Capote's "arch, artificial dialogue that was never meant to be spoken" and somehow made it magical. I didn't tell him the reviews were pouring in, saying this breakfast should be sent back to the kitchen.

"I've never seen the movie," Sir Ian admitted. "Really? Then maybe you're not really gay," I offered, once again aiming for Capote-caliber wit. "Who wrote the screenplay?" he wondered. "George Axelrod," I obliged. "And Blake Edwards directed."

"I once did an audition for Blake Edwards," Sir Ian volunteered. "Afterwards, I said, 'Do you think they'd even employ me if they knew I was gay?' I was told, 'What's the problem? He's gay—and so's his wife.' That's Hollywood." The hills are alive . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2019 3:30 PM

Wow. Never would've thought.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2013 10:46 PM

Just silly gossip.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2013 10:50 PM

I guess Blake will never hire him again. Whoops. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2013 10:52 PM

What a dick

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2013 10:52 PM

Really, R1? This has been known for ages. I believe Carol Burnett was a long-term partner.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2013 10:52 PM

He WOULD say something like that

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2013 10:53 PM

R5 I'm only 30, so she was never really on my radar.

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2013 10:53 PM

Carol's not gay, r5. She had a cow when her own daughter came out.

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2013 10:54 PM

r8 is new to the whole "gay" thing, OBVIOUSLY.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2013 11:30 PM

"Known"?, R5? What does that mean, exactly? That a bunch of lesbians want it to be true? No one "knows" it unless they know her personally and she's told them or they've been in a sexual relationship with her.

by Anonymousreply 10March 26, 2013 11:48 PM

[quote] No one "knows" it unless they know her personally and she's told them or they've been in a sexual relationship with her.

And yet the same logic is never used when it comes to wondering if a single celebrity is straight.

by Anonymousreply 11March 26, 2013 11:56 PM

r11, silly, that logic applies when the subject in question is a hot young male.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2013 12:07 AM

Wow this whole interview was bitchy, Musto was bitchy to mention ther review, Ian was being bitch about Edwards and Andrews.

What the fuck was that? It was beneath both of them.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2013 12:15 AM

[quote] No one "knows" it unless they know her personally and she's told them or they've been in a sexual relationship with her.

Oh go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2013 12:16 AM

Rachel York has basically outed Andrews is more than one interview.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2013 12:23 AM

Two words: Victor, Victoria...

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2013 12:24 AM

And the Carol's lesbian daughter wasn't Carrie!That was shocking,but with her hair a little longer,Carrie looked more femme.Rest her sweet soul.But Julie a lessie.Watch ou Liesl when your 16 going on 17!Couldn't be entirely true because she was mad when Richard Burton joked that she was the only leading lady he never slept with.My mother thinks gay people think all straights have some gay in them,could be true either way.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2013 12:34 AM

Raindrops on beavers And whiskers on bulldykes Bright copper mooncups And warm woollen vagina capes...

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2013 3:01 AM

LOL, R10.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2013 3:26 AM

A poon full of sugar.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2013 3:44 AM

Oh my GAWD!

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2013 3:46 AM

Did Carol enjoy Julie's she-nis?

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2013 3:48 AM

Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2013 3:51 AM

Mary Martin, now Julie Andrews. Was Maria von Trapp a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2013 3:51 AM

Yes. Yes she was.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2013 3:52 AM

"Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin."

Now THIS is more interesting to me than the familiar stories about Blake's gayness and Julie's lesbianism. r23, are you talking about like a temporary stay in a psych ward (probably not that uncommon for fucked-up Hollywood kids) or are you saying she's permanently institutionalized?

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2013 3:54 AM

Mary Martin had Janet Gaynor. Who did Julie have?...and don't tell me Carol. Maybe Leslie Ann Warren?

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2013 3:55 AM

"Rachel York has basically outed Andrews is more than one interview."

Yes, and the funny thing about that is: Years ago, right after VICTOR/VICTORIA, I asked Ms. York about rumors that Julie Andrews was gay, and she flatly denied having ever seen or heard any evidence of that. I wonder why she decided to change her tune?

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2013 3:55 AM

[quote]are you talking about like a temporary stay in a psych ward (probably not that uncommon for fucked-up Hollywood kids) or are you saying she's permanently institutionalized?

not sure how where she ultimately ended up...she was in and out a lot. I don't think she was permanently put away but I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2013 3:59 AM

"What is it you cuntface? That you want to dive Baroness Schrader's muff?"

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2013 4:13 AM

Nothing is beneath Michael Musto, r13. He's wonderfully bitchy all the time.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2013 4:15 AM

There were rumors about Mary Martin and Jean Arthur as well. Didn't someone write a book about a young actress copying the mannerisms of an older actress, and even playing the same role with more success on Broadway.

Both Martin and Arthur starred in separate versions of "Peter Pan," in the 1950s; Martin was far more successful.

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2013 9:46 PM

That CUNT!!!

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2013 9:51 PM

[quote]Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin.

Oh my.

Will we have to do the same, do you think?

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2013 9:52 PM

[quote] Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin.

They adopted 2 Vietnamese girls, and neither of them were committed to the looney bin. The wild one they DID send away for a bit, however, was Blake's granddaughter Katie (Jennifer's daughter).

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2013 9:53 PM

Katie is the one that is the stripper, right?

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2013 9:55 PM

Wow, Marys' heads are poppin in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2013 10:06 PM

Julie's kid Emma writes children's books with her.

I've never gotten a lesbian vibe from Carol Burnett. She always been extremely gay supportive, however.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2013 10:14 PM

Oh that damn Ian! His heels are alive with the sound of a swish acoustic.

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2013 10:29 PM

Musto knows that a million celebs are gay (see his blind items) but doesn't name names; but he feels no compunction about saying that here McKellen named Julie Andrews. This is a bit inconsistent, no?

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2013 10:51 PM

A friend told me once that Julie and Blake hosted orgies in the 1970s and that both seemed rather more interested in same sex partners.

I always thought that Blake must have been fucking that creepy looking male dancer in his 40s/50s who appeared in both Victor/Victoria and that movie where we saw Julie's boobies. He gets the reaction shot in that bit.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2013 11:58 PM

R41, what did he do in Victor Victoria? I want to see if I can remember him...

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2013 12:14 AM

He was one of the dancers in "Le Jazz Hot," I think. He even looks a bit like Blake Edwards. Granite face, way older than the others, must have been quite a hot piece of ass back in the 40s and 50s.

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2013 12:30 AM

I believe that man was actually Paddy Stone, the choreographer for both SOB and Victor/Victoria

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2013 12:50 AM

Ding, ding, ding, R44. We have a winner! He was damned creepy.

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2013 12:55 AM

I always thought it was common knowledge. Julie Andrews is revered by most lesbians I know. One girl used to stalk her. Julie actually got out of her car one day in traffic and screamed at her: "Why are you following me!" My little baby lesbian friend said it was the best moment of her life.

I always wondered if Carol Burnett put that story about necking with Julie in that DC hotel in her book to block any future revelations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2013 12:56 AM

Blake Edwards was married twice.

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2013 3:14 AM

Your point being, R47? (rolls eyes)

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2013 4:02 AM

I would have thought it was obvious R48. (Shakes head).

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2013 4:07 AM

R47 is a cunt. (holds nose, bends over, makes retching sounds, flips the bird, spits in cunt's face, pokes cunt in eyes a la Moe Howard, slaps cunt vigorously, pushes cunt down and kicks the fat ass presented that is jiggling like a malignant aspic)

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2013 4:31 AM

Too much effort, R50.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2013 4:46 AM

I once sold a fish to Blake and Julie.

A Salmon.

In Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2013 7:02 AM

One look at her hair in The Sound of Music, and this should have been obvious. She's had lesbian haircut #4 for 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 53April 1, 2013 3:14 AM

I liked it R50.

by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2013 3:17 AM

Julie Andres is NOT gay, and I'm the broad who can prove it.

by Anonymousreply 55April 1, 2013 2:11 PM

More like Michael Musto outed them. McKellen was having a private conversation that Musto published.

by Anonymousreply 56April 1, 2013 2:13 PM

A lipstick lesbian friend of mine worked for and became friends with an older male star of stage and screen who made a movie with Julie years ago. While my friend was at their house drinking one night, the star and his wife discussed Julie and Blake and how Blake used to go off on vacations with his "valet" but without Julie.

by Anonymousreply 57April 1, 2013 3:28 PM

Just discovered this thread. Now, McKellen and Julie were together on a chat show in England this week and got on like a house on fire. She obviously hadn't heard about this !

by Anonymousreply 58May 24, 2014 9:55 AM

Who in the hell didn't know that Blake Edwards was gay? He has the same sort of gay ratpack as Burt Reynolds did back in the 70s. while Burt's consisted of Dom DeLuise, Gomer Pyle, Hal Needham, that guy who did The Match Game all the time who was real campy and openly gay, and a couple of lesser knowns(they all used to hang out here where I live and BR had a dinner theater and a big ranch). Blake Edwards's crew was basically the cast of the film "10" minus Dudley Moore and also Henry Mancini(who died of AIDS and yes, he was marred forever). While I never actually saw Julie Andrews with a woman, it seemed pretty clear that they had a traditional lavender marriage.

by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2014 10:47 AM

r57 Star of stage and screen = Paul Newman?

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2014 10:55 AM

It all makes sense now. SOB is the gayest film ever with every old Hollywood queen working for that film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2014 3:21 PM

Henri Mancini died of AIDS?! I never knew that!!!

by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2014 4:59 PM

Yes, MORE DISH on Henry Mancini please! Any Dom DeLuise stories?

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2014 5:16 PM

oh, yes. We want to hear more Dom Deluise stories (rolls eyes).

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2014 6:31 PM

Blake Edwards always looked gay, and there is something odd about Julie - she never seems to wear a dress or try to look feminine. I saw her on 3 chats shows here in the UK last week - she was bigging up her tour - and she always wore pant suits, with a scarf. Can't she wear a dress for a change ? Its the look she has worn for the last 40 or so years.

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2014 2:58 PM

Same awful hairstyle for 40 years as well. Very weird.

by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2014 3:22 PM

It's actually the hairstyle that suits her best, because she feels comfortable in it. She doesn't look that good with longer hair, it's like it's not her. She only comes alive with that shorter bob.

by Anonymousreply 67February 7, 2016 11:36 PM

That is the sound of nobody caring.

by Anonymousreply 68February 7, 2016 11:37 PM

R61, that video was worse than CRUISING.

by Anonymousreply 69February 7, 2016 11:38 PM

Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett were on the verge of becoming superstars when they came together for the first of their concert evenings in the spring of 1962. Not yet 30 but a veteran of performing since childhood, Andrews was already a Broadway legend, based on three shows (The Boy Friend, My Fair Lady, and Camelot), though she was not yet a household name.

Burnett had yet to make the leap to her own acclaimed primetime show but was grabbing attention for her hilarious bits on CBS’s The Garry Moore Show. She had also made a splash on Broadway, in 1959, in Once Upon a Mattress. Still, CBS was reluctant to commit to the idea of this DELICIOUSLY ODD COUPLE in a special live performance on primetime TV. From Carnegie Hall, yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 18, 2018 5:06 AM

That's bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 71September 30, 2018 5:01 PM

He outed Brendan Fraser too. I think it is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 72September 30, 2018 5:06 PM

Tomorrow is Julie's birthday. If she was going to come out, that is when she would do it.

by Anonymousreply 73September 30, 2018 5:46 PM

It's not that it just suits her R66 , R67, I think it's her only real hair option . I've been at two photoshoots where her people have totally re-arranged the lighting to avoid any kind of backlighting as her hair is very thin and teased to cover the maximum area, tho' this is not given as the reason. Julie comes in after the re-arrangement and charms everyone saying 'Oh have they been making a nuisance!' She was very friendly and professionally nice, some of the crew wanted selfies ( unusual as they are used to celebs ) and she posed happily and signed allsorts cheerfully. The lesbian rumors have been around as long as the Rock Hudson rumors were ( before we knew for sure ) and for what it's worth she does come across in person as a brisk , hearty elderlez, if you are used to their company.

by Anonymousreply 74September 30, 2018 5:47 PM

Why not just use short hair extensions, R74?

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2018 5:52 PM

You'd have to ask her R75, but my guess is she found a style early that not only suited her but coincided with her tonsorial limitations.

by Anonymousreply 76September 30, 2018 5:56 PM

If he did this it's kind of a dick move, her private life is her own business. If she wanted to come out (if she is a lez) then she would have.

I adore them both (Ian and Julie) but don't be a gossipy twat Ian.

by Anonymousreply 77September 30, 2018 6:11 PM

I'm also thinking the hairstyle is for thin hair, but lucky for her she can carry it off. -R77.

by Anonymousreply 78September 30, 2018 6:12 PM

Sad that being gay is still something people feel they need 'privacy' over.

by Anonymousreply 79September 30, 2018 6:22 PM

No one "outed" McKellen when he took his time in coming out himself in his late 40's or 50's. He also "outed" some of his Hobbit co-stars as well. He has a habit of "outing" people which is not one of his sterling qualities. Everyone should be allowed to "come out" in their own time and in their "own way". McKellen should respect other people's privacy and life choices since he was in the closet for so long.

by Anonymousreply 80September 30, 2018 6:28 PM

Weird how everyone was buying OP's title. And apparently still is.

by Anonymousreply 81September 30, 2018 6:31 PM

Love that, r76..."tonsorial limitations". Thanks for the dish.

by Anonymousreply 82September 30, 2018 7:56 PM

Oh yes...Julie does play for both teams. Maybe not so much now....but in her younger years, she swam in many lady ponds

by Anonymousreply 83September 30, 2018 9:57 PM

The Julie/Carol thing was a huge rumor a few decades back. I have no idea whether it's true or not.

I presume Julie made the cut in the "Suprise celebrity tits" thread.

by Anonymousreply 84September 30, 2018 10:01 PM

A true icon and legend♥#GoldenGlobes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 7, 2019 1:53 AM

I don’t want to imagine Julie Andrews doing scissor sisters

by Anonymousreply 86January 7, 2019 1:57 AM

Some of you must be newbies, back in the day there was always gossip about Blake, Carol, and Julie

by Anonymousreply 87January 7, 2019 2:08 AM

dger

by Anonymousreply 88January 7, 2019 3:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!