Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: Ian McKellen outs Julie Andrews!

From Michael Musto...

I couldn't shut my von Trapp at the Edison Ballroom opening night party for the Broadway version of Breakfast at Tiffany's, where I ate a few dozen of my favorite things.

In between all that, I barreled up to Hobbit-forming thesp Sir Ian McKellen—who's an officiant on the side—and said, "When I read that you're marrying Patrick Stewart, I thought that meant you were marrying each other." "No, you didn't," he replied, impishly. Oh, well, good try.

McKellen quickly switched gears and started raving about the way the cast had taken Capote's "arch, artificial dialogue that was never meant to be spoken" and somehow made it magical. I didn't tell him the reviews were pouring in, saying this breakfast should be sent back to the kitchen.

"I've never seen the movie," Sir Ian admitted. "Really? Then maybe you're not really gay," I offered, once again aiming for Capote-caliber wit. "Who wrote the screenplay?" he wondered. "George Axelrod," I obliged. "And Blake Edwards directed."

"I once did an audition for Blake Edwards," Sir Ian volunteered. "Afterwards, I said, 'Do you think they'd even employ me if they knew I was gay?' I was told, 'What's the problem? He's gay—and so's his wife.' That's Hollywood." The hills are alive . . .

by Anonymousreply 6605/25/2014

Wow. Never would've thought.

by Anonymousreply 103/26/2013

What a dick

by Anonymousreply 403/26/2013

He WOULD say something like that

by Anonymousreply 603/26/2013

R5 I'm only 30, so she was never really on my radar.

by Anonymousreply 703/26/2013

Carol's not gay, r5. She had a cow when her own daughter came out.

by Anonymousreply 803/26/2013

r8 is new to the whole "gay" thing, OBVIOUSLY.

by Anonymousreply 903/26/2013

[quote] No one "knows" it unless they know her personally and she's told them or they've been in a sexual relationship with her.

And yet the same logic is never used when it comes to wondering if a single celebrity is straight.

by Anonymousreply 1103/26/2013

r11, silly, that logic applies when the subject in question is a hot young male.

by Anonymousreply 1203/26/2013

Wow this whole interview was bitchy, Musto was bitchy to mention ther review, Ian was being bitch about Edwards and Andrews.

What the fuck was that? It was beneath both of them.

by Anonymousreply 1303/26/2013

[quote] No one "knows" it unless they know her personally and she's told them or they've been in a sexual relationship with her.

Oh go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1403/26/2013

Rachel York has basically outed Andrews is more than one interview.

by Anonymousreply 1503/26/2013

Two words: Victor, Victoria...

by Anonymousreply 1603/26/2013

LOL, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1903/26/2013

A poon full of sugar.

by Anonymousreply 2003/26/2013

Oh my GAWD!

by Anonymousreply 2103/26/2013

Did Carol enjoy Julie's she-nis?

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2013

Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2013

Mary Martin, now Julie Andrews. Was Maria von Trapp a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2013

Yes. Yes she was.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2013

"Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin."

Now THIS is more interesting to me than the familiar stories about Blake's gayness and Julie's lesbianism. r23, are you talking about like a temporary stay in a psych ward (probably not that uncommon for fucked-up Hollywood kids) or are you saying she's permanently institutionalized?

by Anonymousreply 2603/26/2013

Mary Martin had Janet Gaynor. Who did Julie have?...and don't tell me Carol. Maybe Leslie Ann Warren?

by Anonymousreply 2703/26/2013

"Rachel York has basically outed Andrews is more than one interview."

Yes, and the funny thing about that is: Years ago, right after VICTOR/VICTORIA, I asked Ms. York about rumors that Julie Andrews was gay, and she flatly denied having ever seen or heard any evidence of that. I wonder why she decided to change her tune?

by Anonymousreply 2803/26/2013

[quote]are you talking about like a temporary stay in a psych ward (probably not that uncommon for fucked-up Hollywood kids) or are you saying she's permanently institutionalized?

not sure how where she ultimately ended up...she was in and out a lot. I don't think she was permanently put away but I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 2903/26/2013

Nothing is beneath Michael Musto, r13. He's wonderfully bitchy all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3103/27/2013

There were rumors about Mary Martin and Jean Arthur as well. Didn't someone write a book about a young actress copying the mannerisms of an older actress, and even playing the same role with more success on Broadway.

Both Martin and Arthur starred in separate versions of "Peter Pan," in the 1950s; Martin was far more successful.

by Anonymousreply 3203/27/2013

That CUNT!!!

by Anonymousreply 3303/27/2013

[quote]Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin.

Oh my.

Will we have to do the same, do you think?

by Anonymousreply 3403/27/2013

[quote] Julie and Blake had to put that Vietnamese kid they adopted in the loony bin.

They adopted 2 Vietnamese girls, and neither of them were committed to the looney bin. The wild one they DID send away for a bit, however, was Blake's granddaughter Katie (Jennifer's daughter).

by Anonymousreply 3503/27/2013

Wow, Marys' heads are poppin in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3703/27/2013

Julie's kid Emma writes children's books with her.

I've never gotten a lesbian vibe from Carol Burnett. She always been extremely gay supportive, however.

by Anonymousreply 3803/27/2013

Oh that damn Ian! His heels are alive with the sound of a swish acoustic.

by Anonymousreply 3903/27/2013

Musto knows that a million celebs are gay (see his blind items) but doesn't name names; but he feels no compunction about saying that here McKellen named Julie Andrews. This is a bit inconsistent, no?

by Anonymousreply 4003/27/2013

A friend told me once that Julie and Blake hosted orgies in the 1970s and that both seemed rather more interested in same sex partners.

I always thought that Blake must have been fucking that creepy looking male dancer in his 40s/50s who appeared in both Victor/Victoria and that movie where we saw Julie's boobies. He gets the reaction shot in that bit.

by Anonymousreply 4103/27/2013

R41, what did he do in Victor Victoria? I want to see if I can remember him...

by Anonymousreply 4203/27/2013

He was one of the dancers in "Le Jazz Hot," I think. He even looks a bit like Blake Edwards. Granite face, way older than the others, must have been quite a hot piece of ass back in the 40s and 50s.

by Anonymousreply 4303/27/2013

I believe that man was actually Paddy Stone, the choreographer for both SOB and Victor/Victoria

by Anonymousreply 4403/27/2013

Ding, ding, ding, R44. We have a winner! He was damned creepy.

by Anonymousreply 4503/27/2013

I always thought it was common knowledge. Julie Andrews is revered by most lesbians I know. One girl used to stalk her. Julie actually got out of her car one day in traffic and screamed at her: "Why are you following me!" My little baby lesbian friend said it was the best moment of her life.

I always wondered if Carol Burnett put that story about necking with Julie in that DC hotel in her book to block any future revelations.

by Anonymousreply 4603/27/2013

Blake Edwards was married twice.

by Anonymousreply 4703/27/2013

I would have thought it was obvious R48. (Shakes head).

by Anonymousreply 4903/28/2013

R47 is a cunt. (holds nose, bends over, makes retching sounds, flips the bird, spits in cunt's face, pokes cunt in eyes a la Moe Howard, slaps cunt vigorously, pushes cunt down and kicks the fat ass presented that is jiggling like a malignant aspic)

by Anonymousreply 5003/28/2013

Too much effort, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5103/28/2013

I once sold a fish to Blake and Julie.

A Salmon.

In Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 5203/28/2013

One look at her hair in The Sound of Music, and this should have been obvious. She's had lesbian haircut #4 for 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 5303/31/2013

I liked it R50.

by Anonymousreply 5403/31/2013

Julie Andres is NOT gay, and I'm the broad who can prove it.

by Anonymousreply 5504/01/2013

More like Michael Musto outed them. McKellen was having a private conversation that Musto published.

by Anonymousreply 5604/01/2013

A lipstick lesbian friend of mine worked for and became friends with an older male star of stage and screen who made a movie with Julie years ago. While my friend was at their house drinking one night, the star and his wife discussed Julie and Blake and how Blake used to go off on vacations with his "valet" but without Julie.

by Anonymousreply 5704/01/2013

Just discovered this thread. Now, McKellen and Julie were together on a chat show in England this week and got on like a house on fire. She obviously hadn't heard about this !

by Anonymousreply 5805/24/2014

Who in the hell didn't know that Blake Edwards was gay? He has the same sort of gay ratpack as Burt Reynolds did back in the 70s. while Burt's consisted of Dom DeLuise, Gomer Pyle, Hal Needham, that guy who did The Match Game all the time who was real campy and openly gay, and a couple of lesser knowns(they all used to hang out here where I live and BR had a dinner theater and a big ranch). Blake Edwards's crew was basically the cast of the film "10" minus Dudley Moore and also Henry Mancini(who died of AIDS and yes, he was marred forever). While I never actually saw Julie Andrews with a woman, it seemed pretty clear that they had a traditional lavender marriage.

by Anonymousreply 5905/24/2014

r57 Star of stage and screen = Paul Newman?

by Anonymousreply 6005/24/2014

It all makes sense now. SOB is the gayest film ever with every old Hollywood queen working for that film

by Anonymousreply 6105/24/2014

Henri Mancini died of AIDS?! I never knew that!!!

by Anonymousreply 6205/24/2014

Yes, MORE DISH on Henry Mancini please! Any Dom DeLuise stories?

by Anonymousreply 6305/24/2014

oh, yes. We want to hear more Dom Deluise stories (rolls eyes).

by Anonymousreply 6405/24/2014

Blake Edwards always looked gay, and there is something odd about Julie - she never seems to wear a dress or try to look feminine. I saw her on 3 chats shows here in the UK last week - she was bigging up her tour - and she always wore pant suits, with a scarf. Can't she wear a dress for a change ? Its the look she has worn for the last 40 or so years.

by Anonymousreply 6505/25/2014

Same awful hairstyle for 40 years as well. Very weird.

by Anonymousreply 6605/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!