Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Come Back To The Five And Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean

I kind of love this film in all its scenery-chewing glory.

I wish I had seen the play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2018 5:36 AM

This movie has yet to be released on DVD or anything other than video tape. It never airs. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2013 10:10 PM

And they're keeping us from a Looking for Mr. Goodbar DVD too! It's a fucking conspiracy!

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2013 10:13 PM

I just watched the whole thing on You Tube, albeit in 10 minute segments.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2013 10:14 PM

The play is VERY different. It's written to have younger and older versions of the characters ala FOLLIES. Robert Altman ditched that concept on Broadway, but the licensed script retains it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2013 10:19 PM

I miss Sudie Bond

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2013 10:46 PM

I saw Jimmy Dean last year at LIncoln Center. Altman's widow was there, as were a couple of other people involved in the production, and they had great stories to tell about its production.

I also happened to see Looking for Mr. Goodbar in the same Lincoln Center theater several months before that. It has not held up the way that Jimmy Dean has. Although Richard Gere was in great physical shape, his performance was excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2013 11:36 PM

The play was beyond the usual "hit/flop" measuring stick and was more of an "event"! I saw it the night after it opened, and was thoroughly entertained. The memory of it is quite clear and I can still feel the excitement. It was a great evening of theater, and I'm so glad my friend dragged me to buy tickets with her.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2013 4:39 AM

Gray-market DVDs are around for sale; the quality is pretty good, which means it was taped off a television broadcast at some point (because it was never released on VHS either, so it can't be a transfer). WHEN if EVER did it air on TV? Which cable station ran it without cuts?

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2013 7:01 AM

Can we please discuss Sudie Bond?

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2013 2:44 AM

[quote]because it was never released on VHS either, so it can't be a transfer). WHEN if EVER did it air on TV? Which cable station ran it without cuts?

Never on DVD? I wonder when I saw it then? I kind of remember it airing on Bravo or A & E in the 90s. Back when Bravo was the film and arts network and Andy Cohen was a demonic production assistant at CBS and not the lord of all things evil and shallow.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2013 3:13 AM

I saw it back in the late 80s or early 90s I'm pretty sure on A&E. Don't think we got Bravo at the time. Why can't Criterion get this one?

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2013 3:41 AM

It was available on VHS at some point but it may have been priced/sold only for rental.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2013 4:19 AM

I turned that down.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2013 4:26 AM

Though God knows you would have been absolutely fabulous as the retarded manchild in the title role, Patti.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2013 4:32 AM

I turned down "Extremeties" too. Was I offered the lead?

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2013 4:55 AM

We was pray in' for them starvin' children in Africa, but that didn't seem to workin . So now we're just prayin fer rain!

While some of us chose to rise above the narrow minds of this town...You laid spread over a gravestone,and took them inside of you.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2013 4:57 AM

I've had this one on my TiVo wishlist for years and it finally has shown up. It will be broadcast on Wednesday, September 18th at 8PM Eastern on the Movies! channel. Movies! is a sub-channel on our local Fox station (owned by Fox) so not sure how available it is but if you live somewhere with a Fox-owned station it should be available.

They have ads so may be chopped up but at least we can see it! (They don't always stick to their schedule so will update if it changes.)

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2013 3:55 PM

I was a little confused when Joe had sex with Sissy's husband in that hotel. Was it before or after he had his sex change operation? Was the husband latently gay? Or was he doing it because he thought Joe was a woman? And is true that he raped Joe earlier in the film?

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2013 10:03 PM

That was an interesting movie. It started out slow, then got REALLY interesting, and then ended up kind of shrill and obnoxious. By the time Kathy Bates and the dumb girl got into their conflict, I was over it. Thankfully that parr ended quickly.

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2013 10:08 PM

Cher shines.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2013 10:24 PM

Thank you, R3. I've been looking for ages.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2013 10:27 PM

It used to be on TV quite often, but can't remember where or when (is that a song?). I know I've seen it at least 3 times & passed it by even more than that -- on TCM or TNT or something like Sundance, roughly early 90s (when I was drunk most of the time). I remember liking Cher in it & that's pretty much the most I recall.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2013 10:47 PM

According to the Saved section of my Netflix queue, this is supposed to be issued on DVD during November. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2014 10:43 AM

It's coming on Blu-Ray...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2014 10:48 AM

Thanks r24. Amazon says November 18th on Blu-Ray. I've got my order in!

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2014 11:00 AM

Sandy Dennis is a titan in this.

She should've been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2018 5:34 AM

The Fox is on TCM tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2018 5:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!