Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is the Ramble in Central Park still active?

I used to hook up there up until a few years ago. Lots of "straight" married guys and others on the DL looking for NSA fun. I saw more wedding rings than the Diamond District LOL. As the weather gets warmer, I've been thinking about going back. Something so hot, animalistic and dangerous about doing it outdoors. I think we all know that the thrill of being caught is a huge rush. So what's the scene like?

by Anonymousreply 5507/08/2014

You're a whore, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 203/11/2013

And god have mercy on anyone dumb enough to say "the Rambles".

by Anonymousreply 303/11/2013

OP, can't you just use the 3rd floor men's room at Macy's like everybody else? Why do you have to be different?

by Anonymousreply 503/11/2013

R3 "Our furtur inroads to equality means that these old behaviors will go way."

Go away? Why in the world would we want quick anonymous sex to go away?

by Anonymousreply 703/11/2013

Is Ramble or Bramble?

by Anonymousreply 803/11/2013

The Ramble is a shamble and the Bramble in a gamble.

by Anonymousreply 903/11/2013

[quote]"I always went there to relax, meet other gay people, talk. To have sex? Not me. Anyway, I met Gerald as he was walking back from Sunday services—his brother is a Baptist minister, and Gerald still tithes, you know. It may sound corny, but it was love at first sight. We've been together for twelve years."

by Anonymousreply 1003/11/2013

[quote] I think we all know that the thrill of being caught is a huge rush.

Not to mention the fear of being robbed.

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2013

[quote]isn't it against the law to be in the park at night?

No.

Central Park is it's own police precinct.

The Central Park precinct has the lowest crime rate of all the precincts in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 1303/11/2013

I swear I remember someone being arrested for being in Central Park at night..that there was some kind of Curfew ?

by Anonymousreply 1403/11/2013

The Central Park cops patrol the Ramble frequently to prevent gays from hooking up. If you seem to be just hanging around, they can (and do) arrest you for loitering.

R14, you're probably thinking of the arrest of CNN reporter Richard Quest. The official charge was loitering, but once he was arrested, all the seedy details came out...

OP, it's really not worth it anymore. Trust me...

by Anonymousreply 1503/11/2013

R15, why is Ben's name signed? Was he in the Rambles when he was caught kissing that guy?

by Anonymousreply 1603/11/2013

"Scene", OP? You really think there's a, "scene", there?

by Anonymousreply 1703/11/2013

What about Strawberry Fields? Are there really strawberries there?

by Anonymousreply 1803/11/2013

R19--another comedian was a guest on Stern and referenced that incident by doing in the Ramble comedian's voice. it was shoxking that he was so blatant.

by Anonymousreply 2003/11/2013

Well who did he imitate, R20?

by Anonymousreply 2103/11/2013

well, who the hell was it???

by Anonymousreply 2203/11/2013

R19 and R20, who was it? Full disclosure.

by Anonymousreply 2303/11/2013

Why not just say who the comedian is?

by Anonymousreply 2403/11/2013

I never did the Ramble, but the wooded area around Fort Tryon Park was GREAT in the late 90s. Then all the activity suddenly stopped.

by Anonymousreply 2503/11/2013

[quote]If you seem to be just hanging around, they can (and do) arrest you for loitering.

Well what the fuck is a park for?!

In NY I guess it's primarily views for CPW and 5th Ave. co-ops. God forbid anyone should want to sit down on a bench or go for a leisurely stroll...

NYPD: What are you doing in the park?!

Citizen: Relaxing and getting some fresh air.

NYPD: Put your hands behind your back. You're being charged with loitering in a park!

by Anonymousreply 2603/11/2013

OP is clearly Dick Button, drawn to datalounge by our figure skating thread.

by Anonymousreply 2703/11/2013

Rendezvous in the Ramble 4 Comments Add Yours By Doug Ireland

From the July 24, 1978 issue of New York Magazine.

Picture Central Park—without a sailor, Picture Mister Lord, minus Mister Taylor. —Cole Porter's "A Picture of Me Without You," 1935.

The west side of that 30-acre section of Central Park known as the Ramble had a reputation as a homosexual meeting ground long before Cole teased his friends at private parties with this suggestive lyric. But though Central Park at night—any part of the park—is dangerous, the gay ghetto that is the Ramble is perhaps the section most fear-ridden. Gangs of toughs—teenagers and the macho middle-aged, usually drunk, occasionally including a couple of off-duty cops—roam the Ramble at night, engaging in an old American pastime: fag bashing.

You don't have to be gay. You don't have to be exposing yourself. You don't have to be doing anything except walking through the tangled darkness to be abused, shoved, threatened at knifepoint, kicked, and beaten.

by Anonymousreply 2803/11/2013

the Ramble never gave me any trouble--no cops, no gangs--but I only went there a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 2903/11/2013

What's Van Cortlandt Park up in the Bronx like? I heard that it's very cruisy. What kind of guys go there? Married types or blatinos?

by Anonymousreply 3003/11/2013

You guys are CRAZY! I know a number of guys who were assaulted there, one of whom had his leg broken and barely dragged himself out to CPW to get rescued! No way, not me.

by Anonymousreply 3103/11/2013

Last I knew, Central Park has a 1 AM curfew. In fact, I was walking through the Park one night maybe 5 years ago; and: I have lived in NYC since 1980, and for a long time I worked on one side of the Park and lived on the other; and I either walked or biked through the Park, often late at night; and I've never been afraid of the place; I like the Park at night, not because of sex, but because I grew up in the woods and I like the woods and I'm not afraid of them in the dark.

So anyway there I was walking out of the Ramble, and a cop stopped me and asked what I was doing there, and I had no idea there was a curfew, and he wrote me a ticket.

The link is to a story about a reporter who got arrested in the Park in 2011 for breaking the curfew. He's a straight guy, so he says.

The cops clearly assume that if you're a guy and you're anywhere near the Ramble and you're not out running, you're a homo looking for sex.

It seems to me a form of entrapment, and total bullshit. But there you are.

by Anonymousreply 3203/12/2013

so then just go to the ramble before 1am problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 3303/12/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3503/14/2013

I think there was buzz at the time that the comedian was Joe Rogan from Fear Factor.

by Anonymousreply 3603/14/2013

Hasn't that culture of sneaking off to a secret place where gays gather to have sex died out now that a) homosexuality isn't so shameful and b) you can use the internet to easily hook up? I don't really know why anyone would creep out into the woods in the dark anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3703/14/2013

Dark woods are fun!

Don't be so prissy.

by Anonymousreply 3803/14/2013

No, it was Jerry Seinfeld.

by Anonymousreply 3903/14/2013

Jerry Seinfeld in the Rambles?? I missed that episode of "Seinfeld".

by Anonymousreply 4003/14/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4103/14/2013

Just blow him.

by Anonymousreply 4303/16/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4403/16/2013

What did #3 say?

by Anonymousreply 4511/09/2013

Danger

Public Sex Troll Alert

by Anonymousreply 4611/09/2013

This is why they hate us. Get the fuck out of the park - it's 2013 for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 4711/09/2013

The internet has certainly put a dent in public cruising. Why is it more exciting? I think you could compare the difference between cruising and going through internet ads to that between fishing and waiting for a bite, and buying a filet in a grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 4811/10/2013

To people who say "they hate us because we cruise in public," I'd say they hated us anyway, wherever we had sex. Otherwise you wouldn't have laws that dictated what a couple could do in the privacy of their own home. Yes there are some folks who aren't very discreet and once in a while someone does get caught with their pants down, but on the whole the whole point in choosing cruising areas is that there is ample warning and privacy. That means ease for the participants, and (mostly) cluelessness for those who aren't looking. Every once in a while there is some expose about shocking sex in a campus bathroom because someone happened to see some action; compare that with the hundreds of cocks sucked in these places every week and the number really is pretty minimal. In Holland they actually recognize one park as a heavy cruising park (Amsterdam's Vondelpark) and there's a peaceful coexistence.

by Anonymousreply 4911/10/2013

The Ramble is now very straight.

by Anonymousreply 5007/04/2014

Married men are real stinkers...

by Anonymousreply 5107/04/2014

no, it isn't

by Anonymousreply 5207/06/2014

WEHT Jerry Seinfeld's cop friend from the Ramble?

by Anonymousreply 5307/06/2014

Since it was so well-known as a gay hook-up site, do the cops patrol day and night?

by Anonymousreply 5407/08/2014

Kitty, I'm not outdoors! No, I'm calling you from the office! And... hold on...

(Shit, do either of you guys have an extra dime?)

by Anonymousreply 5507/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.