Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sheets from Bed Bath & Beyond are making me break out in hives!!

I bought these motherfuckers yesterday and woke up this morning itching like hell...rash all over my arms and legs. What is up with this shit? Will the store take them back? They cost $100!!

by Anonymousreply 5006/08/2014

Are they "no iron"? The chemicals they use to make that happen can be toxic.

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2013

Did you wash them first?

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2013

Did you wash them or put them on the bed straight from the package?

You should always wash them first, to remove the chemicals that may rub off during packaging and shipping.

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2013

You slept on sheets without washing them first, OP? That was a big mistake.

Most textiles are coated with chemicals you don't want touching your skin. I never wear or use anything without laundering.

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2013

Yes, I washed them. Aren't all sheets "no iron"? Who the hell irons their sheets? Bree Van De Kamp?

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

What are they made of? If they're 100% cotton, they're not "no iron".

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

Clothes shipped for long distances, particularly clothes made in China, India, Bangladesh or other Asian countries contain formaldehyde to prevent any mold or mildew that may form due to exposure to high humidity or moisture. Formaldehyde is also involved in permanent press textile processing which is applied to many items of clothing made in China as well as elsewhere.

I recently purchased two inexpensive T-shirts to complement my summer attire and developed a rash on my chest after wearing one of the shirts. It had never happened before and my only explanation is that I might be more susceptible as I age or perhaps there was more formaldehyde in this particular shirt. A quick check revealed "Made in China" on the label.

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

It's the formaldehyde.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2013

No iron cotton sheets are coated with something horrible that makes them no iron.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

It says they are made from 100% tencel fibers. Whatever that is.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

You can definitely have all-cotton no-iron sheets. I bought a set once, and the chemicals were so strong, I had a hard time getting up out of bed. And this was after washing them a dozen times.

I always buy the kind that say they "may need a bit of touch-up ironing on low."

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

Conventional bedding textiles are often treated with chemical finishes to repel water and stains, as well as to prevent wrinkles. These “permanent-press,” “no-iron,” “stain-proof,” and “water-repellant” finishes can offgas formaldehyde. Additionally, their manufacture releases perfluorochemicals (PFCs) or dioxin, which may harm the environment or your body.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

It is scabies, microscopic living things that burrow into your skin and cause a reaction. You got them from the point of manufacture, China. You should have washed them in hot water and color bleach.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

They were made in India.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

Bras, undies, boxers, panties and hose need to be washed first too for the same reasons. Put jock straps on the list too.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

OP – –

All you have to do is tie your sheets to the door handles of your car and ride up and down the freeway at top speed for about an hour.

This will blow the particles of offending chemicals all your sheets.

Now give it a try, and come back here and report.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

Jeans too, R15. I've seen some pretty bad reactions to wearing them unwashed, partly from dyes and partly from chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

You have to be SUPER careful about any consumer goods these days as all the top brands are sourcing from India & China. I'm not prone to allergic reactions but I've had reactions over the past five years from a rug (the type of glue on the backing); bookcases (degassing from chipboard); and a leather sofa (dye).

I excluded them from the house immediately and pursued full refunds from the retailers. We're talking potential carcingens and you need to listen to what your body is telling you: DANGER WILL ROBINSON! And retailers need to get the message sharply that consumers won't tolerate this, and the supply chain needs thorough inspection.

So OP: return the sheets IMMEDIATELY. No bedding should cause a reaction. If the cotton has residual chemicals the manufacturer's testing should have highlighted that and it should never have been accepted. It's not your mistake: it's theirs, and you need to kick up an almighty stink!!!

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

[quote]It says they are made from 100% tencel fibers. Whatever that is.

You have purchased glorified sawdust OP. You are one setp up from the homeless that sleep under newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

Bed Bugs

by Anonymousreply 2103/05/2013

I had this problem with a quilt cover once. But it was only the top of it that gave me hives so at first I couldn't figure out was going on.

It stopped when I washed it several times in hot water.

by Anonymousreply 2203/05/2013

Won't washing the sheets in hot water shrink them?

by Anonymousreply 2403/05/2013

My pussy is itchin', y'all!

by Anonymousreply 2503/05/2013

I thought BB&B has a no-time-limit no-questions-asked returns policy?

by Anonymousreply 2603/05/2013

OP, did you buy this from the "Beyond" portion of the store?

by Anonymousreply 2703/06/2013

How are your hives, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2803/10/2013

lol r20

by Anonymousreply 2903/10/2013

[quote] Lyocell is a regenerated cellulose fiber made from dissolving pulp (bleached wood pulp). It was developed and first manufactured as Tencel in the 1980's by Courtaulds Fibres UK at their pilot plant S25. As of 2010 it is manufactured by Lenzing AG of Lenzing, Austria, under the brand name "Lyocell by Lenzing", and under the brand name Tencel by the Tencel group, now owned by Lenzing AG.

by Anonymousreply 3003/10/2013

OP, more likely it was the grindr trick whom you invited to christen your sheets, rather than the sheets themselves, that caused the rash.

by Anonymousreply 3103/10/2013

It's shingles, OP

by Anonymousreply 3203/10/2013

Six days ago I bought some very expensive sheets in Egyptian cotton from a very well known manufacturer (Sanderson actually), washed them in hot water, and put them on the bed. I have had them there for 5 nights and every night I've had nightmares. This is very odd. Now I think that is due to some finishing product applied to the fabric - formaldehyde is the chief suspect. They are (surprise surprise) made in China. Has anyone else had this experience? Or do I just go see a shrink?

by Anonymousreply 3306/05/2014

Are they "no iron," R33?

by Anonymousreply 3406/05/2014

[quote] I'm not prone to allergic reactions but I've had reactions over the past five years from a rug (the type of glue on the backing); bookcases (degassing from chipboard); and a leather sofa (dye).

If you are not prone to allergic reactions then why did you have all the allergic reactions?

by Anonymousreply 3506/05/2014

I weave all of the fabric that makes up my clothes and sheets by hand using only natural fibers.

by Anonymousreply 3606/05/2014

[quote]Will the store take them back?

I don't know, Nancy Drew! What should we do?

by Anonymousreply 3706/05/2014

Are you sure it isn't herpes OP?

by Anonymousreply 3806/05/2014

Hey R36, can I get a ride from you to Michfest?

by Anonymousreply 3906/05/2014

BB&B has been having a lot of trouble with a Chinese variant of the bed bug - they are very small, hatch fast and the nymphs are very active feeders. The problem is that not all the sheets are reliably sealed, and the things have spread in some of the stores. Laundering does little good, unless you're washing in boiling water for an extended time - they're rather indestructible. And once they're loose in a bedroom, it's almost impossible to get rid of them.

So invest in some good salves, OP, and watch out for secondary infections. Staph likes to develop in the scratch marks and once that gets going you could be losing more than sleep.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 4006/05/2014

How can you wash sheets in hot water and not fade the color?

by Anonymousreply 4106/05/2014

Can't, r41, eventual fade inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 4206/05/2014

R41, add a cup of vinegar to the water the first time you wash them.

With some colors, vivid reds and blues especially, I also add a couple of cups of salt.

by Anonymousreply 4306/05/2014

you are supposed to WASH THEM BEFORE you use them!!!! didn't your mother teach you anything?????

by Anonymousreply 4406/05/2014

Should have went to Walmart. Microfiber sheets for my queen ban size bed around $22, no iron and they feel like silk.

by Anonymousreply 4506/07/2014

Have her put a little starch in the final rinse.

by Anonymousreply 4606/07/2014

You could have a HatchFest !

by Anonymousreply 4706/07/2014

I never buy anything from China that will touch my body, inside or out. Everything they make comes initially as raw product from the Chongqing supercity area and is manufactured from barnyard dirt, manure and lead.

by Anonymousreply 4806/08/2014

What is percale like? I saw a sign the other day.

I like the word, how are the sheets?

by Anonymousreply 4906/08/2014

I just received a $99 set of bed sheets from BB&B as a gift. The Palais blah blah ones. 630 thread count. Are they any good?

I thought they had a nifty smell. I didn't wash them. This is Night #2 sleeping on them. I didn't have a rash when I woke up this morning.

Did the OP's thing ever blow over? Am I in danger?

by Anonymousreply 5006/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!