Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Lost In Space"

Do you think the hot guys were fucking up there? I know the one was married to June Lockhart, but the other had to be celibate or else boffing the blonde (unless Dr. Smith was relieving him).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 8, 2019 4:07 PM

Everyone thinks Dr. Smith was diddling Will but it was Don West that had that kid every which way and then some. His flirtation with Judy was just something to throw Ma and Pa Robinson off the scent. Dr. Smith was infatuated with Don, which is why he always took Will on those dangerous expeditions. He was trying to get the boy killed so he could have West all to himself. It's true! And daddy was doing Penny. But I ain't one to gossip.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2013 9:12 PM

Actually, John Robinson and Don West were doing the dirty deed. That's why they always went off in "the chariot" to investigate something or other. They actually drove up into the mountains for some hot, sweaty male bonding of the oral and anal kind. Dr. Smith WAS doing Will. Smith was a notorious pedo. He was escaping criminal charges when he stowed away on the Jupiter 2. Maureen Robinson was frigid. She knew John was a 'mo, but didn't care, as long as he stayed off of her. Judy was a nympho. Don slipped the sausage to her on occasion, but he wasn't too interested. Penny was busy banging Debbie the Blip and Mr. Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2013 9:19 PM

Mr. Nobody was trans.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2013 9:21 PM

Um, it was a TV show. Pssst - they weren't really up there.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2013 10:20 PM

You must be a riot at parties, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2013 10:26 PM

Really. R4?

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2013 10:28 PM

People who go to parties run the risk of getting a DUI

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2013 10:30 PM

Guy Williams showed his impressive basket on the show. I was impressed.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2013 10:35 PM

Actually, Mr. Carrot, Debbie was a "Bloop" not a "Blip".

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2013 10:39 PM

Me no like people say bad things about pretty, pretty doctor smith!

Doctor Smith Looooooove Athena and Athena Loooooove Doctor Smith! No Urso! Urso strong but not treat Athena the way pretty, pretty Doctor Smith treat Athena! Doctor Smith no love Will; it is I Doctor Smith Love! Will-boy not give Doctor Smith what needs he!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2013 10:43 PM

Curse ye, it tweren't "pretty pretty Dr. Smith."

It were "pretty *handsome* Dr. Smith."

Please get this shit right.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2013 10:49 PM

Dr. Smith, owner of the gayest gayface that every gayfaced:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2013 11:08 PM

LOL (literally), R12.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2013 11:14 PM

Please, R12. I lost my virginity to Jonathan Harris. He was old, but definitely worth it.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2013 11:18 PM

Sorry, guys. I was doing the robot.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2013 11:19 PM

Alpha Control has reported that Dr. Zachary Smith was the first gay into outer space.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2013 3:51 AM

"Do you think the hot guys were fucking up there?"

I watched every episode of that ridiculous show as a kid, and I'm still convinced that every single character had their genitalia surgically removed before heading out into space. Or at least, that's how they behaved.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2013 4:34 AM

This thread does not compute!

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2013 4:32 PM

R9 - I stand corrected. I haven't seen the show in probably 35 years, so my memory is a tad rusty. LOL. And what the actual fuck is wrong with R4? He must be a shitload of fun to hang out with. Next R4 will tell me that The Walking Dead is fake and the Zombie Apocalypse has not actually happened. That will just totally fuck my day!

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2013 4:45 PM

35 years or not, most people watched each episode at least 75 times. At least I know I did. You deserve your lashing with a wet noodle, R19. ;)

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2013 4:52 PM

LOL. True.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2013 5:03 PM

O shit I loved this show! My dad got hooked on it when he was a kid, then in the 80's a local station would re-run them late at night. He would set the VCR to tape it overnight and then the next day when I came home from school we would watch them together.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2013 5:04 PM

I heard the Robot was doing Maureen and Judy simultaneously.

He could diddle them for hours with those clamp hands and not get tired.

Had to start with a full charge though.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2013 5:11 PM

Nickelplated Nincompoop! Clattering Clown! Primitive Pile of Pistons! Galumphing Gargoyle!

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2013 5:22 PM

Rumor has it that Judy liked it up the ass, voraciously. Don liked ass, but only John's harry humps, so it was a quandry. Finally, in the vegetable rebellion episode, Judy found just the fit for her sexual needs... the talking carrot.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2013 5:27 PM

"Fuck my ass, you bubble-headed ninny!"

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2013 7:17 PM

The Robinson family was apparently gay friendly in regards to Dr. smith.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2013 7:50 PM

Similar story here, R22. My dad was hooked on this show too when he was a kid. In the early-mid 90s we would watch it on USA or Sci-Fi after school. However, I probably haven't seen an episode since 1999. (ha)

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2013 8:19 PM

O wow R28 That is so cool. I too have not seen them in a real long time. Maybe I should try to find a DVD collection of them to give to my dad, he's turning 50 this year and it would be awesome if I could score that for him. Do you remember in the first episodes, Dr. Smith was really evil? I think he was supposed to be a Soviet agent or something. It wasn't till later that he became the campy fop most remember him as being.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2013 8:41 PM

When in trouble When in doubt Run in circles Scream and shout!

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2013 8:45 PM

The part of Dr. Smith was supposed to be played straight.

Harrison convinced them to make the part comedic.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2013 8:58 PM

Bubble Headed Boobie, R26. Boobie.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2013 9:11 PM

I don't remember Dr. Smith looking so orange. He must have hit the tanning spray pretty hard before stowing away on the Jupiter 2.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2013 9:24 PM

I have never heard of this show. It must be really really ancient. I would research it but I'm too lazy. But must be a real relic of another age

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2013 9:43 PM

Jonathan Harris apparently had a wife and kid, mind blown.

I thought that guy was gay before I knew what gay was.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2013 9:53 PM

I haven't thought about this show in ages. I would love to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2013 10:07 PM

You should be able to pick up a used collector series on Ebay. I purchased a new one the day they became available.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2013 10:18 PM

As a boy, I wanted Don to sodomize me viciously.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2013 10:25 PM

I've been following it on Me-TV and it's absolutely awful. I just wanted to be able to say that I watched the entire run of the series but it's garbage. The theme music is the best thing about it. June Lockhart was famously quoted as saying "who do you have to fuck to get off this nightmare?"

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is much better, though the characterizations are dull and they repeat an awful lot of storylines. But it looks fantastic in color.

Irwin Allen seemed to be able to sell a premise but had no interest in the quality of his programs once they had been picked up.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2013 10:25 PM

It was wonderful in the beginning, when it was black and white and had a much more serious tone. Dr. Smith was a true villain then. But when it went to color and the story lines became comical it lost a lot IMO.

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2013 10:40 PM

R36 yes I would imagine it's "awful" if you're an adult seeing it for the first time in 2013.

Most of us were very young kids in the 60s...nearly a decade before the advent of Pong.

For us it was great--and still is.

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2013 10:40 PM

[quote]For us it was great--and still is.

No, "for us" it is not still "great." I never appointed you my generational spokesman.

For me it retains a certain campy charm, but that's as far as it go. Most episodes (particularly from the last season) are pretty much a chore to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2013 10:43 PM

Moisture, moisture! I must have moisture!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2013 10:51 PM

"I said I don't WANT any salad!!" -- the plant replica of Judy, snarling to June at dinner in "Attack of the Monster Plants"

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2013 10:55 PM

It was my favorite show as a kid. When I saw that it was available on Hulu, I started watching it, but quickly gave up on it.

I remember finding Professor Robinson and Major West incredibly hot even at a young age.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2013 10:55 PM

i preferred land of the giants ..imagine those cocks!

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2013 10:56 PM

Well how about you leave the thread then, R39, since you're so disinterested and all.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2013 10:59 PM

The only show cheesier than this was Space 1999!

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2013 11:15 PM

"Space 1999" was just dull.

"Lost in Space" was awful, but at times it was hilariously, ludicrously, campily awful!

by Anonymousreply 49February 23, 2013 2:38 AM

I read once that the shift from drama adventure to campy bullshit happened because it was airing against Batman. Annproducersbfelt that camp was what the public wanted. It worked on Batman. The story line was such a good idea that got lost in the "too many chefs" tv bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 50February 23, 2013 3:44 AM

Space 1999 was the shit! Especially when they got that alien shape shifter Maya.

by Anonymousreply 51February 23, 2013 3:48 AM

He was a bad man, so I turned him into a jack-in-the-box

by Anonymousreply 52February 23, 2013 10:32 AM

Van Williams was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 23, 2013 10:51 AM

R22, It's been such a long time since I've seen it that I can't remember much beyond the basic premise and that they were on another planet each episode.

by Anonymousreply 54February 23, 2013 2:57 PM

[quote]Van Williams was hot.

But he wasn't on the show. You're thinking of Guy Williams.

by Anonymousreply 55February 23, 2013 3:12 PM

"Oh John, you can't! It's much too dangerous!!"

by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2013 3:12 PM

[quote]I've been following it on Me-TV and it's absolutely awful. I just wanted to be able to say that I watched the entire run of the series but it's garbage. The theme music is the best thing about it.

Agreed. The music was the best part of this show. We've been watching it every Saturday night on MeTV. They're airing the third season now, and each episode is worse than the last!

Guy Williams doesn't do a thing for me, but I'd do Mark Goddard in a heartbeat!

[quote]unless Dr. Smith was relieving him

That image is a major boner-killer for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 23, 2013 3:53 PM

John Williams did the music.

The beginning of a great career.

by Anonymousreply 58February 23, 2013 4:37 PM

I have been catching it a bit on ME-TV as well, and yes not a good show. I will give Bill Mummy props for making his character natural and likable. Will could have easily been an obnoxious character. Also, as a kid I wanted to see more of Major West...

by Anonymousreply 59February 23, 2013 4:50 PM

[quote]I will give Bill Mummy props for making his character natural and likable

I was saying the same thing just the other night. He was a good little actor and, like you said, he was likable. More than Dr. Smith or the Robot, he was the glue that held the show together.

by Anonymousreply 60February 23, 2013 5:04 PM

I agree Billy Mumy was great--he could really convey intelligence and courage believably for a child actor.

The show also made great use in its early seasons of Angela Cartwright's gifts for conveying both vulnerability and terror (which she shares with her sister Veronica, who is not as pretty but is an even better actress). By the third season, however, Cartwright had grown up and just seemed dull--just another pretty young thing like Judy.

by Anonymousreply 61February 23, 2013 5:20 PM

You can see Mark Goddard trying not to break out laughing often during during the infamous Carrot Man episode.

That being said, the aliens who were all covered in sequined black fabic and wore bowler hats were the creepiest aliens ever.

by Anonymousreply 62February 23, 2013 6:39 PM

I always preferred Lost in Space to Star Trek. I hated Trek. LIS seemed more real and immediate and was far more intelligently written and much better acted. Even the aliens were better on Lost in Space. Lost in Space seemed more mature as well. Space 1999 was also much better than Trek but not as good as LIS. Plus, I had a crush on Penny and Judy. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 63February 23, 2013 6:55 PM

Lost in space could be fun. B the robot, the boy and Smith made the show.

by Anonymousreply 64February 23, 2013 7:01 PM

R63 - To each their own, but Lost In Space was a kids show. It didn't start out that way, but it quickly became one. Star Trek was light years more intelligent and was FAR better written and acted. Billy Mumy, Jonathan Harris and Angela Cartright made Lost in Space tolerable. The rest were decent, but not great. There's no way you can convince me that Lost In Space episodes like "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" or the one about the Space Hillbillies were better than Star Trek's "City On The Edge Of Forever", "Amok Time", "Doomsday Machine" or "Journey to Babel". Space: 1999 had potential, but ended up being a dull, cheap disappointment. Lost in Space was good for what it was (a children's show), but Star Trek is still powerful and relevant almost 50 years later.

by Anonymousreply 65February 23, 2013 7:08 PM

Rejected Dr. Smith phrases:

Bumbling Bunghole!

Fumbling Ferrous Fuckpole!

Crepuscular Cunting Computerized Cocksucker!

Metallic Motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 66February 23, 2013 7:10 PM

I had such a boycrush on Don. I insisted we play "Lost in Space" at recess and guess who I was?

by Anonymousreply 67February 23, 2013 7:11 PM

Apples and oranges, R65.

by Anonymousreply 68February 23, 2013 7:12 PM

[quote]There's no way you can convince me that Lost In Space episodes like "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" or the one about the Space Hillbillies were better than Star Trek's "City On The Edge Of Forever", "Amok Time", "Doomsday Machine" or "Journey to Babel"

Well, you've unfairly stacked the deck there. You're comparing what is by mutual consensus the very worst "Lost in Space" episode with what are considered the very best episodes of "Star Trek," so of course there would be no fair comparison there.

It would be far more fair to compare "TGVR" to "The Way to Eden" or "Spock's Brain." I would agree even so "TGVR" is still worse, but keep in mind that the two series were pitched to entirely different audiences: "Lost in Space" was meant to be a suspenseful (and later campy) show for children, while "Star Trek" was meant to be a more philosophical show primarily for adults.

If you were to take the very best episodes of "Lost in Space"--the first episode, "The Reluctant Stowaway," or "The Hungry Sea"--you'd find that they can stand up well to most "Star Trek" fare (and are certainly better than ST episodes like "The Way to Eden"). They're not as philosophical, but they're very suspenseful and intriguing. Unfortunately, after the first season almost all episodes of LiS were on the level of "The Way to Eden" and were just too silly. And "The Great vegetable Rebellion" was really the worst (although the image of the carrot man snarling and rushing at Penny right before the countdown that begins the credits is pretty memorably insane).

by Anonymousreply 69February 23, 2013 8:40 PM

Is the Carrot Man episode online anywhere?

I'd love to see the madness again, and couldn't find it on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 70February 24, 2013 2:34 AM

Give this a shot, R70:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2013 3:25 AM

We agree with r69

by Anonymousreply 72February 24, 2013 3:49 AM

Well, I LOVE Way to Eden. "This plant life is full of ACID(nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Even the GRASS." Bludgeoning a metaphor to death to be sure but light years more clever than any dialogue spoken on Lost In Space. The illness of Dr. Severin was inspired and the whole thing eventually plays out like Jonestown with athletes foot as opposed to mass suicide. I didn't like stick up his ass third season Kirk, but it was interesting that the writers acknowledged how square the otherwise liberal Star Trek universe could be perceived by a counter culture.

by Anonymousreply 73February 24, 2013 8:36 AM

Brain, brain, what is brain??

by Anonymousreply 74February 24, 2013 12:23 PM

The show's shift from a black & white drama to a campy color comedy was a reaction to the success of the Batman series.

by Anonymousreply 75February 24, 2013 12:53 PM

Remember the scene when June Lockhart got confused and called Dr Smith, Uncle Joe?

by Anonymousreply 76February 24, 2013 2:17 PM

To be fair to June, R76, Dr. Smith [bold]was[/bold] movin' kinda slow.

by Anonymousreply 77February 24, 2013 3:49 PM

I didn't know it was airing on Me-TV until just a couple months ago. How long have they been showing it? Have they already gone through all three seasons?

If so, I hope they start again from the very beginning once the third season is over.

by Anonymousreply 78February 24, 2013 10:23 PM

Apparently Williams and Lockhart hated playing second fiddle to Smith and the robot doing their schtick--they had been hired to be the stars, and they were humiliated by the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 79February 24, 2013 10:27 PM

[quote]By the third season, however, Cartwright had grown up and just seemed dull--just another pretty young thing like Judy.

I don't think that was the fault of the actresses. Watching the reruns, I never realized before how little they gave the women to do -- literally just a few lines of dialogue each episode and then left by the sidelines while the men handled all the action. I don't blame June Lockhart for having wanted off the show.

According to Wikipedia, by the time the third season came along, Guy Williams was also very unhappy and wanted it to be over (and once it was he retired and never worked in Hollywood again). In fact, I'm surprised no one's linked it yet because it has a lot of great BTS details I'd never read or heard about before (including the four theories as to why it was eventually canceled). Like others here, I was always much more of a LIS fan than Star Trek, and though LIS has definitely not aged well, I will always consider it a favorite, if only for sentimental reasons.

And yes, Mark Goddard was one hot piece of ass. Don't know who was tapping it back in his LIS days, but whoever they were, they were exceedingly lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 24, 2013 10:35 PM

If you watch the first season, the women had a ton to do and there were even episodes written with just the women and Dr. Smith. When they left the idea of being sci-fi and went camp to compete with Batman, the women's roles were reduced greatly.

by Anonymousreply 81February 25, 2013 2:14 PM

R81, that's why I'm hoping Me-TV will start over from the very beginning once they're done airing the third season. It's been so long since I saw any episodes from the first season (and second, too) that I've completely forgotten pretty much everything about them.

by Anonymousreply 82February 27, 2013 12:08 AM

Mark Goddard was Helen Lawson's seventh husband, r80.

by Anonymousreply 83February 27, 2013 12:11 AM

[quote]I was always much more of a LIS fan than Star Trek, and though LIS has definitely not aged well, I will always consider it a favorite, if only for sentimental reasons.

Though I stand by this statement about LOST IN SPACE always being my sentimental favorite, watching both it and STAR TREK tonight for the first time in years back to back, I gotta admit ST has aged much, much better, chiefly because it stuck to its sci-fi roots and didn't disintegrate into a campfest like LIS did.

by Anonymousreply 84March 24, 2013 1:37 AM

Johnathan Harris married his childhood sweetheart Gertrud Bregman and had a son Richard they were married in 1938 until his death in 2002

by Anonymousreply 85May 9, 2013 7:25 PM

I think they *tried* to get back on track in season three after the season 2, the campiest of the seasons. Getting them back into space and adding the Space Pod gave the show a little more action and story variety. But eventually the stories developed a strange mix of camp and dark nhilism. It's hard to tell exactly what they were going for with Season 3 (Maybe they didn't know).

A couple of the episodes where John was abusive towards Will, either through alien possession or evil double, were REALLY hard to watch when I was kid. Guy Williams could do bad pretty well...

by Anonymousreply 86May 9, 2013 10:19 PM

Have been watching the first season the past few weeks on MeTV and wow ... totally forgot how solid a sci-fi series LOST IN SPACE was before they ruined it with all the camp. The writing and acting in S1 were truly solid and some of the aliens had a very Twilight Zone/Outer Limits quality about them (the aliens in "Invaders from the Fifth Dimension" who wanted Will's brain were especially creepy).

As I said upthread, what's so cool for me personally is that I haven't seen these episodes in literally 30 years, so even though I remember them as they go along, they're still almost like new for me. And as he was written in S1, Dr. Smith was actually a very solid character, a truly sinister presence amongst the Robinsons and not the ridiculous figure he eventually became (and Jonathan Harris's performance was first-rate). And yes, whoever said the women had more to do were right, which made the way they were relegated to second-rate status later in the series all the more shameful.

So R86, it was S2 that the camp began? I truly can't remember (and judging by the posts of others, was under the impression it didn't start till S3). Seriously, Irwin Allen should have had his ass kicked for what he did this to fine show, virtually ruining it just for the sake of competing with BATMAN.

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2013 2:29 AM

I know this is a gay forum but nothing about how gorgeous Marta Kristen was?

Poor Mark Goddard went from this to romancing Liza Minnelli in "The Act."

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2013 2:50 AM

I can't believe you bitches haven't commented on Penny go-go dancing on the pool table to that Klaxon horn, in the Alpha Centauri alien mock-up episode!!!!

by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2013 5:31 AM

R85. Johnathon Harris was actually a pharmasisct . He kept his license up and contined to work as a pharm up to the 1950s. Interestingly, he and Mark Goddard were the closest of friends in real life. Goddard looked up to him and loved hi. Very much.

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2013 5:46 AM

A 1966 TV Guide article conducted on the set of LOST IN SPACE that spoke of Guy Williams' unhappiness on the series:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2013 4:33 AM

I grew up without a male role model in the house, and I loved this show because I used to believe the father was MY father.

by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2013 4:45 AM

Ah, the majesty of velour!

by Anonymousreply 93June 26, 2013 1:06 AM

Lost In Space is a far superior show to Star Trek. I enjoy them both but Star Trek is generally too earnest whereas Lost In Space is quite simply genius. There never has nor never will be its like again. Do people REALLY learn Klingon?! Ah, the pain! The pain!

by Anonymousreply 94June 26, 2013 6:42 AM

Lost in Space was my favorite show as a kid. I had huge crushes on Dr. Robinson and Major West.

I tried watching it again on Hulu Plus and gave up after only a few episodes.

It hasn't aged well, but then neither have I.

by Anonymousreply 95June 26, 2013 7:29 AM

S1 there is an ep where Will beams to earth for half a day.

His friend was the most gorgeous boy. Even at 9years old, I knew I wanted him..... BAD. I was supposed to want and lust after Marta Kristen but not interested in the least.

by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2013 2:03 AM

I have met Mark Goddard several times over the past decade or so...he is still incredibly handsome and fit (and extremely kind, friendly and intelligent.) Angela and Marta are sweet and very down to earth. Bill is nice; June a bit distant. I had met Jonathan Harris too; he was bitchy and very much a diva. He ruined the series, taking it from quality adventure (the most expensive TV series ever during its' time) to sheer nonsense (although still with a great look and the best spaceship in flight scenes ever on TV.) Lost in Space was the first show of its kind for most of us, and that first season will hold a special place in our hearts always.

by Anonymousreply 97February 19, 2014 3:58 AM

[quote]the best spaceship in flight scenes ever on TV

I agree. Even to this day, those scenes of the Jupiter 2 flying low over the planet's surface right before it crashed look pretty damn spectacular for a 1960s TV series.

by Anonymousreply 98February 19, 2014 4:30 AM

As a kid I swear I caught a fleeting moment of Guy Williams with an erection in that tight suit of his. It was, as I remember it all these years later, an episode where there's an alien hunter on whatever planet they're on. Williams is being hunted, naturally, and as he's moving through the forest he has to cross a stream. The bright sunlight hits him as he's climbing down the bank of the stream, and I'm certain I saw it.

Or I just had a vivid imagination.

R97, I agree. Lost in Space had the makings of a classic, and ended up as absurd, childish schlock.

by Anonymousreply 99February 19, 2014 4:50 AM

Guy Williams and Mark Goddard were very possibly the handsomest men on TV in the mid 1960s. A shame Williams died so young. I think Mark is teaching special needs kids in Boston. Very friendly guy at sci-fi cons. I have met a number of celebrities in various circumstances and he (and Dame Maggie Smith--so humble and sweet) are probably the nicest--Joan Rivers was very nice as was David Caruso. I also met Phyllis Diller when I was a young guy; truly a sweet and very bright lady. If you ever get a chance to see the Lost in Space pilot (with no disgusting Dr. Smith), you will see the great potential the series had. I think many of us wished each week the Dr. Smith character would be killed off. And yes, those scenes of the Jupiter 2 flying over the rock cliffs rival anything done even today! And those scenes were done with models, not on a computer. If only someone would reboot Lost in Space and do it right, real adventure/drama and no simpering Dr. S.!

by Anonymousreply 100February 19, 2014 5:45 AM

R100 : The best I can recommend is two seasons of Stargate Universe. I hope you will love it.

SGU does not feature any children in its main or regular cast (which is what happened with TNG and Star Trek: Voyager), and is meant primarily for adults — you'll know when you watch the pilot.

Best points: * Robert Carlyle. * Great drama. * SGU is the first space-spaced science fiction show with an out LGBT character in its primary cast. * Awesome visuals, not just VFX. * Awesome science fiction. * You'll love the music, including the series score by the late Joel Goldsmith. * Quality guest cast.

by Anonymousreply 101February 19, 2014 6:45 AM

R80, the camp really began later in Season One, with episodes like "The Space Croppers". But there was still a mix of those and non-campy episodes that still focused on family members, such as "Magic Mirror" and "Follow the Leader". It was also during this time that they started transitioning Dr. Smith into a far more comedic character, rather than than subtly menacing figure from the earlier part of the season.

Those fantastic shots of the Jupiter 2 flying low over the planet were done using the "Lydecker Method" invented by the Lydecker Brothers of Republic Serials fame. They also used this special wire technique to "fly" the Flying Sub on Voyage.

If you're patient and good with your hands, you too can own the Jupiter 2 for $94.95:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 19, 2014 6:45 AM

r9 I thought Debbie was a gleep? That's what she always seemed to be saying.

Loved the series. Guy Williams was hot, not as hot as when he was Zorro, but right up there. I wanna' hear June Lockhart say fuck.

by Anonymousreply 103February 19, 2014 10:44 AM

The Robot was THE star of the show.

by Anonymousreply 104February 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Campy or not (and it was indeed campy), LOST IN SPACE still deserves credit for giving us three of THE most creepiest aliens in sci-fi ever, the Saticons from season two eps "Wreck of the Robot" and "The Galaxy Gift." All that black and swaying really freaked me out as a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 20, 2014 12:56 AM

Even better, a clip of the Saticons:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 20, 2014 1:02 AM

I was obsessed with the show as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. I had the hand-me-down playset from Mattel from my brothers. Now that thing sells for a thousand dollars on ebay. But I loved the space ship, Don West. I would try and memorize every wall in the Jupiter 2.

Watching it as an adult is so disappointing now. Although I do enjoy the interior of that ship still. I even purchased the model that came out in the late 90s and painted every speck of it.

by Anonymousreply 107February 20, 2014 1:06 AM

When Will asked Finestra (or whatever her name was) for her aid to help materialize a weapon for his dad to fight off an alien creature, Will conjured up a knife.

I would conjured up a more useful weapon.

Like a tank.

by Anonymousreply 108February 20, 2014 1:11 AM

Loved that in the third season they added a THIRD level to the Jupiter 2, the engine room, which seemed to go on forever. Like the Jupiter wasn't already stuffed full...

by Anonymousreply 109February 20, 2014 4:09 AM

Was that the Mattel Lost in Space Switch 'n' Go Chariot set with the styrofoam Jupiter 2, R107? I seriously coveted that set as a kid, never did get it...

by Anonymousreply 110February 20, 2014 4:11 AM

Mark gave me a big hug at a science fiction convention and it was just as big a thrill as if he were a young man back in the day He is still built, handsome and tall and yes he sure seemed to be packing Too bad there weren't some shirtless scenes of Don and John Blame the producer for the campy nonsense and Smith...be grateful for the handful of truly good scifi eps produced

by Anonymousreply 111February 20, 2014 4:13 AM

John Robinson never showed the deep disappointment that he must have felt over the fact that his son Will got all his mom's genes.

Seriously, a big, virile dad like him ruined me for all men.

by Anonymousreply 112February 20, 2014 5:15 AM

12 Fun Facts About Lost in Space:

(#2 is my favorite: Carroll O'Connor, who played Archie Bunker on All in the Family, was initially considered to play the role of Dr. Smith.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113February 20, 2014 5:21 AM

There was a SERIOUS lack of shirtlessness in all those Irwin Allen shows. Even the Voyage guys never went topless.

by Anonymousreply 114February 20, 2014 6:16 AM

June: "Have some salad, dear?"

Judy's plant replicant, masquerading as Judy: "I SAID I DON'T WANT ANY SALAD!!!"

by Anonymousreply 115February 20, 2014 6:22 AM

I interviewed Mark Goddard once, and at the time, he was teaching special needs children. He is a very, very nice man.

by Anonymousreply 116February 20, 2014 6:31 AM

The Saticons were basically a precursor to the "Gentleman" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

by Anonymousreply 117February 20, 2014 10:43 AM

Never thought about that before, R117. I agree, that's a great comparison.

by Anonymousreply 118February 20, 2014 11:38 AM

Who did the Robot belong to / get its orders from? On several occasions, it referred itself as belonging to the Robinsons but seemed to belong to Will. On the other hand, Dr Smith programmed it a few times and gave it orders which it was forced to follow.

by Anonymousreply 119February 20, 2014 5:27 PM

[quote]Mark gave me a big hug at a science fiction convention and it was just as big a thrill as if he were a young man back in the day He is still built, handsome and tall and yes he sure seemed to be packing Too bad there weren't some shirtless scenes of Don and John Blame the producer for the campy nonsense and Smith...be grateful for the handful of truly good scifi eps produced

Agreed. GODDARD one a very hot guy ! His family is old New England stock and he grew up out on the cape of Massachusetts. Before LOST IN SPACE, he got his first recognition on THE DETECTIVES a tv series which starred the late ROBERT TAYLOR. GODDARD was the young hunk on the show; like GARY CONWAY had been on BURKE'S LAW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 20, 2014 5:37 PM

Mark Goddard is the person who found Karyn Kupcinet's body.

by Anonymousreply 121February 20, 2014 5:48 PM

His wife MARCIA (nee ROGERS) GODDARD was friends with her; they hadn't heard form her in a couple of days and went to her apt. She'd been dead 2,3 days.

by Anonymousreply 122February 20, 2014 5:52 PM

[quote]Who did the Robot belong to / get its orders from? On several occasions, it referred itself as belonging to the Robinsons but seemed to belong to Will. On the other hand, Dr Smith programmed it a few times and gave it orders which it was forced to follow.

IIRC, for the first few episodes, because he had programmed the Robot to sabotage the Jupiter 2 (hence causing it to go off course and become lost in space), the Robot took his orders solely from Dr. Smith. Later, however, Will figured out that he could also give him commands by imitating Smith's voice (though he still remained at this point somewhat of a threat to them). Finally (I can't say exactly when, though I'd guess it was around the time the series began sliding into campiness), the Robot ceased to be a danger to the Robinsons and instead became their friend, which meant any of them could give him orders.

by Anonymousreply 123February 21, 2014 12:01 AM

Crush! Kill! Destroy!

by Anonymousreply 124February 21, 2014 12:14 AM

Yep r110. It was the Mattel Switch-n-Go playset that my brothers had. As a toddler I sat on the styrofoam spaceship and they never forgave me. I still have the figures and the chariot but nothing else.

I was in lust with Mark Goddard and Gary Conaway (Land of the Giants) as a little boy watching the reruns.

by Anonymousreply 125February 21, 2014 12:22 AM

With regard to how sexist the show was, there was a scene in one episode broadcast recently that completely floored me. Can't remember the plot exactly, just that Judy and Will were in some kind of danger and he was telling her what they needed to do to get out of the situation (and she listened to him and took what he had to say with no questions). All I could think watching it was "Hold up. Isn't he supposed to be like a 12-year-old and she's an adult, yet he's the one in command here?"

Ah, the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 126February 21, 2014 12:42 AM

Maureen's (JUNE LOCKHARDT) frightened me.

by Anonymousreply 127February 21, 2014 2:04 AM

You want sexist scenes, R126? I remember one episode where they've landed on an alien planet, and Mrs. Robinson is doing the LAUNDRY!

Imagine that, you escape from Earth and have the whole fucking galaxy at your feet... and you're stuck doing the fucking laundry! Without help from any of the other space family members, of course.

by Anonymousreply 128February 21, 2014 3:49 PM

well at least June had a machine that did all the work instantly including having the laundry completely folded and ready!

I wonder what happened to the beagle they found in the first year never to be heard of again

and yes someone said there was a serious lack of shirtlessness in Irwin Allen's shows Too bad b/c some nice looking guys on Voyage too Still like Mark the best!

by Anonymousreply 129February 23, 2014 3:24 AM

Watching "The Golden Man" episode right now on MeTV. One of the few in which the men are absent (save for Dr. Smith) and the women take center stage.

How long it must have taken guest star Dennis Patrick to be covered in all that gold paint....

by Anonymousreply 130February 23, 2014 4:11 AM

Danger, Will Robinson! DANGER !

by Anonymousreply 131February 23, 2014 4:19 AM

[quote]Even better, a clip of the Saticons:

...and worse: the evil, dark lords, the Plumbicons.

by Anonymousreply 132February 23, 2014 5:17 AM

2015 is the 50th anniversary of Lost in Space Will CBS do anything to celebrate? Pretty amazing the entire cast--minus 2--are still living. Too bad some smart producer doesn't remake this series without the camp and Dr. Smith

by Anonymousreply 133March 8, 2014 5:10 AM

Maybe this has already been mentioned but NBC was planning a reunion movie back before Harris died. They were to start shooting in a few months but then they lost Harris and the project with him.

I would love it if someone made the kind of glossy fan films for Lost in Space as are done for Star Trek. You can't replace the original cast but you can let someone try them on with different shades. Those Star Trek Phase II episodes are pretty good all things considered:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 8, 2014 6:55 PM

There was a Lost in Space movie with William Hurt as the dad and Matt Leblanc as Don. Lacey Chabert played Penny I think.

by Anonymousreply 135March 8, 2014 7:10 PM

Heather Graham was Judy.

by Anonymousreply 136March 8, 2014 7:10 PM

Mimi Rodgers was Mom.

by Anonymousreply 137March 8, 2014 7:18 PM

DVR alert: For anyone interested, MeTV will be broadcasting "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" episode next Saturday night (Sunday morning) at 1 a.m. EST.

by Anonymousreply 138September 8, 2019 4:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!