Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sean Eldridge, Husband of Facebook Co-Founder, Running for Congress

Feb 6, 2013

Sean Eldridge, an investor and the husband of Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes, has filed paperwork establishing a campaign for New York’s 19th Congressional District seat in 2014.

Eldridge, who is a frequent donor to Democratic candidates and committees, has publicly backed President Barack Obama and hopes to unseat two-term Republican Chris Gibson. This November, Gibson won reelection by a margin of 53 percent to 47 percent. However, the district also favored Obama.

Eldridge is a politically active Democrat and the CEO and founder of Hudson River Ventures LLC, a small business investment fund located in New York’s Hudson Valley. He also serves as an adviser to Freedom to Marry, a campaign to win marriage equality nationwide.

The 26-year-old is married to entrepreneur Chris Hughes, who is both a co-founder of Facebook and the publisher of The New Republic magazine.

Bloomberg.com reported that Eldridge’s statement of organization, which created “Sean Eldridge for Congress,” accompanied by a statement of candidacy, was processed by the Federal Election Commission last week.

Born in 1986, if Eldridge wins the congressional seat, he’ll be just 27, making him one of the youngest members of Congress in 2014. Rep. Aaron Shock, a Republican from Illinois, was elected to his congressional seat when he was 27. He is now the youngest representative, at age 31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2020 4:20 PM

This deserves a positive r1. Go Sean!

by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2013 6:08 AM

Sean Eldridge is nothing but a gay courtesan. All he does is find excuses to not work and spend Chris' money. You'd think he'd have the decency to find his own way instead of relying on hubby's megabucks. Chris Hughes should realize that he's not so unattractive that he'd be unable to rebound when he finally gets Sean's hands out of his wallet.

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2013 10:04 PM

He sure is a lazy mother fucker, hahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2013 12:36 AM

Chris Hughes and Sean Eldridge.

I thought "As the World Turns" was canceled?

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2013 12:44 AM

Wow. I went to college with him. Never knew he had political ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2013 12:44 AM

This is could be very ugly for him. He and his husband just bought a house in Ulster county in order to be in the district. They really live in Putnam county. He'll be viewed as a total outsider. Anything can happen but this looks crazy to me.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2013 12:51 AM

I don't think he's going to be elected and I think he's a total grifter, spending Chris's money on everything. And Chris allows it. FOR NOW.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2013 1:04 AM

Just did a wikipedia search on him, he has an investment firm that focuses on Hudson Valley. And how did he get that investment firm? Why Chris' money of course.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2013 1:07 AM

As Chris becomes a big media player, his profile will rise and Sean will screw up by fucking some staffer.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2013 1:07 AM

[quote]Wow. I went to college with him.

Was he out in those days?

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2013 1:14 AM

There's nothing as insipid as a bored housewife with delusions of grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2013 1:21 AM

OP, you should have 'gay' in the title. No one will give a shit without it.

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2013 1:22 AM

R12, it mentions he's gay in the first paragraph by saying he is married to another man.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2013 1:32 AM

Looking at pix of Chris and Sean, Sean has evil eyes that look like he's a scammer and Chris has those blank Asperger / Zuckerberg eyes. Chris has no idea how Sean is playing him for everything. Doubt he ever will, he doesn't look like he resides on earth at all.

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2013 1:37 AM

Did anyone else chuckle at his name being mentioned next to Aaron Schock's?:

"Born in 1986, if Eldridge wins the congressional seat, he’ll be just 27, making him one of the youngest members of Congress in 2014. Rep. Aaron Shock, a Republican from Illinois, was elected to his congressional seat when he was 27. He is now the youngest representative, at age 31."

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2013 1:59 AM

R10

By graduation, he was pretty much out, yes. He lived in a fancy apartment off-campus and hosted gay parties. Nice enough guy. But the public office thing? Never knew. But then, maybe I wouldn't; a buddy of mine was closer to him than I was.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2013 2:15 AM

Interested that Sean had money then in college coming from more of a working class family. He must have had a sugar daddy then too.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2013 2:26 AM

Being in the House, especially your first 6 years, is such a thankless and dull job. No one knows or cares who you are except your constituents (plus, 80% of constituents can't even name their House Rep) and you basically have to do what leadership says. Smart people like Judd/Hilary/Obama/Warren go straight to the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2013 2:40 AM

Sean's husband has a good deal of "Fuck You!" money, but not enough to knock off Kirsten Gillibrand or Chuck Schumer. Besides, Sean's too young for the Senate. The House is definitely more his speed.

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2013 2:45 AM

Thanks for the info, R16.

And he probably didn't talk about public office then because it seems to be a recent thing. Not everyone plans to be a politician from a young age - some fall into it later in life.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2013 6:17 AM

And some hit the jackpot and marry their very own $uperdonor.

by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2013 9:35 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 22February 11, 2013 9:00 PM

[quote] Rep. Aaron Shock, a Republican from Illinois, was elected to his congressional seat when he was 27. He is now the youngest representative, at age 31.

No, that Patrick Murphy guy is, at 29. (Not the cute one from Pennsylvania, who was a pro-gay-marriage Afghan War vet; the new one with the jail photo from Florida, who beat teabagger Allen West)

Miss Schock is an eldergay!

by Anonymousreply 23February 11, 2013 9:13 PM

Aside from a couple of well-deserved hit pieces, you hardly hear anything about Mrs. Chris Hughes' Quixotic quest to buy his way into Congress. Are any DLers in the district he wants to represent?

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2014 7:49 PM

Eldridge's campaign for Congress bombed (he lost to a fairly weak Republican) and now Hughes is selling The New Republic. How did these 2 go from A to Z gays so quickly? Their ambition is admirable, but it seems like they just can't do anything right.

And the Facebook money isn't going to last forever so they'd be wise to find ways to generate revenue (TNR was losing money).

by Anonymousreply 25January 18, 2016 8:14 AM

Interesting article on their fall from grace. It also mentions the recently maligned Per Se!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 18, 2016 8:19 AM

Watching these opportunists fail is one of the few satisfactions in life. These are not noble people.

by Anonymousreply 27January 18, 2016 10:08 AM

The VF article was interesting R26. Needless to say, it was much more balanced than any of the uninformed cuntiness that gets posted here.

by Anonymousreply 28January 18, 2016 10:53 AM

That "America's Worst Gay Power Couple" headline said it all.

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2016 11:13 AM

Chris Hughes won the lottery. That's all. He earned nothing. He and his arm candy (not even that attractive arm candy to boot) are striver dilettantes and widely and deservedly derided. They need to just buy an island and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2016 11:18 AM

The VF article hit on something I always wondered about: Hughes' contributions to the founding of Facebook. Apparently he's self conscious about the fact people assume he isn't all that tech savvy and he got where he is purely by luck. If anyone has made it due to luck, it's Elderidge. I never realized he's been with Hughes since 2005, so he technically got in on the ground floor (not knowing his boyfriend would end up a billionaire).

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2016 11:28 AM

Once Eldridge got to the top floor, he settled in and locked down his good fortune.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2016 11:31 AM

So what? At least they seem to be spending a lot of time and $$ on progressive causes. Y'all are just jealous.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2016 11:41 AM

Wasn't Eldridge working in a call center when he met Hughes?

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2016 11:48 AM

R4, LOL- I thought the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2016 11:49 AM

In the U.S., if you give money to, or support the right causes, you can be whitewashed. A severe flaw in American culture.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2016 11:52 AM

Just what Congress needs, another Richie Rich making decisions for the country.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2016 12:23 PM

Permanent ignore for anyone on this entire site who uses the beyond tired and juvenile descriptor "jealous." Pathetic and lame, just like those two losers.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2016 12:24 PM

1. The congressional bid was humiliating for Eldridge, and he concedes a future run isn't in his future.

2. The VF article says that Eldridge was working at a moving company when he met Hughes (although it's not clear in what capacity. But they clearly had a circle of friends in common and he was in between elite schools favored by the uber elite (Deep Creek and Brown). Someone earlier in the thread says they knew Elderidge in college and theorized that he had a sugar daddy. The article indicates said sugar daddy was Hughes.

3. People might envy Hughes and Elderidge, but criticism of them shouldn't be dismissed as pure jealousy. I disliked they way Hughes fucked up TNR under the guise of trying to save it (he clearly suffers from Smartest Guy in the Room Syndrome.) Meanwhile his husband thought he could buy a seat in Congress.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2016 1:23 PM

[quote]Permanent ignore for anyone on this entire site who uses the beyond tired and juvenile descriptor "jealous." Pathetic and lame, just like those two losers.

Yet somehow not quite as lame as loser DLers who exaggerate the faults and failures of famous and/or successful gays in order to avoid the sad truth that they are, and will always be, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2016 6:39 PM

Oh, honey. Bye R40.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2016 6:43 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 42January 20, 2016 5:29 PM

R42, why?

by Anonymousreply 43January 20, 2016 5:40 PM

Whatever happened to Sean? Despite spending a lot of money to lose a Congressional seat by nearly 30 points almost 6 years ago, the seat is now held by a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2020 4:00 PM

I'll never understand the psychology of people who enter politics. To me that's a nightmare job.

Slightly OT but I remember when Chris Hughes bought The New Republic and replaced Leon Wieseltier (the guy with " very important hair" as Gore Vidal called him) and all of these journalists made a point of quitting while making sanctimonious public statements about Hughes. Than about a year later Wieseltier was Me Tooed. That was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2020 4:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!