Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bonnie Franklin/Mary Wilson - One Day At A Time

I heard that MLW was fired from ODAAT because Bonnie Franklin was jealous of her. I'm curious about this because I was given a bunch of old vhs tapes and have been watching this show. I liked Ginny and the handyman. Seems like they were going to pair those two up then the Ginny character is gone with no explanation. Anyone know anything?

by Anonymousreply 1803/13/2014

She had Florence Ballard fired, not me.

by Anonymousreply 101/29/2013

Whatever happened to Bonnie Franklin. After ODAAT, she just disappeared.

I believe that the actress' name is Mary Louise Wilson

by Anonymousreply 201/29/2013

Hold me David...I'm scared!

by Anonymousreply 301/29/2013

Bonnie has pancreatic cancer.

by Anonymousreply 401/29/2013

Bonnie was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a couple of months ago. Nothing has been reported since.

by Anonymousreply 501/29/2013

We've made fun of her here, but in all seriousness I hope she is well soon.

by Anonymousreply 601/29/2013

She probably got fired for the same reason Polly Holliday and Diane Ladd were fired from "Alice" - they were stealing laughs from the star. Though maybe Franklin (or the writers/producers) didn't think the character was working for the show. I was never a big ODAAT fan but I liked Wilson's character. On the other hand, I can see how she could have changed the tone of the show from semi-serious Norman Lear to more traditional sitcom schtick.

If anything I'd think Pat Harrington would have wanted her gone since she would have been getting a lot of his type lines and screen-time.

by Anonymousreply 701/29/2013

I thought Ginny was a trannie?

by Anonymousreply 801/29/2013

I have a feeling that once Schneider clicked as the surrogate father for the girls, they decided it should be more about the family unit, meaning there was no need for the wacky neighbor type. She and Richard Masur stuck out like sore thumbs those first couple of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 901/29/2013

I actually asked MLW why she left ODAT.

She said she hated LA and wanted to get back to NYC and do theater.

Boring but true.

by Anonymousreply 1001/29/2013

Well, Mary Louise gave one of the best stage performances I've ever seen in Grey Gardens and won a Tony for it, so I'm sure it worked out for her. In the long run, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2013

I would have loved to have seen that.

by Anonymousreply 1212/29/2013

I wish Mary had stayed.

by Anonymousreply 1303/12/2014

It seems a lot of people left that show. Why did Richard Massur leave? Or that guy who played Glenn Scarpelli's father? He was there for a year and then they killed him off leaving the kid in Ann Romano's care.

by Anonymousreply 1403/13/2014

And yet Nanette Fabray and her real-life niece Shelley Fabares seemed to be on that show FOREVER...

by Anonymousreply 1503/13/2014

R15 - It only felt like forever.

by Anonymousreply 1603/13/2014

The Ginny character was actually in the unaired pilot played by Marcia Rodd (who was also the original Carol in Maude)

There was also only one daughter featured, Julie.

Afterwards Norman Lear felt it wasn't working, and dropped the Ginny character and added a second daughter.

After Richard Masuar left, he resurrected the Ginny character to be a love-interest for Schneider and a sounding board for Ann.

But then it was felt it would be better for Schneider to have a date of the week, and Ann was already using her daughters as a sounding board.

So the character was dropped for the second time.

by Anonymousreply 1703/13/2014

Ah, Richard Masur...loved the episode that TV Guide described as "Ann finds David and a female guest in a state of dishabille". Wish that David had been in MORE "dishabille" than what he showed! Dude was a fucking hot bear!

by Anonymousreply 1803/13/2014
Need more help? Click Here.