Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever met a ghost?

Do you have any ghost stories you'd like to share? Did you ever have any actual encounters?

by Anonymousreply 197January 29, 2018 4:59 PM

I would die of a heart attack if I ever saw one.

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2013 3:34 AM

I wonder if there aren't more ghost stories because the people who see them just instantly drop dead.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2013 3:36 AM

I was walking through a supermarket by my house which is located off a major highway and this girl was walking ahead of me. This was in the early 1990's and before bell bottoms made a comeback in fashion. She was wearing really dirty bell bottoms and had long hair. She was pretty disheveled and stood out of place there. There was no one eles in the aisle with me. She turned around and smiled at me and she had some teeth missing. I just knew for some reason that she was a ghost...her pallor was almost yellow and her face had flecks of dirt on it. I turned around and walked away very fast.

I later found out that a prostitute had been picked up at this supermarket and was murdered and thrown in a ditch in the early 70's.

Gives me shivers writing about this.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2013 3:42 AM

I believe you, R3, and have had a similar incident. In my case, the girl had on 70's clothing as well with I swear, a greenish, unearthly pallor. She also had bits of what looked like dirt or perhaps spots of rotting flesh on her face.

Here's the worst part: she knew my name!

When I turned my head for just a split second and looked back up she was gone--as in nowhere, nothing.

Your ghost was probably asking for help, or sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2013 3:57 AM

Everyone has a video camera on their phone these days. One would think we'd start to see some verifiable captured footage. Or at least something truly unexplainable.

Wouldn't one?

Or can they not be photographed?

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2013 4:10 AM

I've had a few episodes in two different locations that defy logical explanation. One had to do with the power in my apt, and only my apt, going off one morning when I was using almost no power that could've caused any "surge" -- my circuit breakers were all ON, no juice at all. The super went to the basement, finding ONLY my apt switched to OFF on the master board, in an area that was locked by a padlock that showed no signs of being tampered with at all. Basically, that switch was for deliberately cutting power during planned electrical work, and would NOT have been "tripped" even if I'd run every socket in my place -- that's what circuit breakers are for! The super was very, very ... confused about the whole thing. I had another episode in that NYC apt that I'll post if anyone's interested.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2013 4:11 AM

A g-g-g-g-g-ghost!

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2013 4:14 AM

oh lord. How old are you people, 6? (or do you just live in Alabama?)

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2013 4:16 AM

I am ancient and have never learned anywhere NEAR Alabama -- next question?

by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2013 4:31 AM

We had one in our old house for about twelve years. To me, he was pale, bald, and had long boney fingers. Other people said that he had a green glow. I never saw a glow.

I'd catch glimpses of him peripherally during the day. At night, I'd spot him staring at me from the attic cut-out or peeking at me from behind slightly ajar doors. I'd freeze and time would stand still until...nothing. He'd no longer be there.

My cousins refused to use our main floor bathroom alone because his top half would materialize above one of the sinks.

All of this ended after a house fire. Once we rebuilt, he never showed up again.

by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2013 4:47 AM

JINKIES GANG!!!

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2013 4:58 AM

he's very friendly

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2013 5:04 AM

no. please dont. nobody is interested in your lesbian fiction, R6.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2013 5:07 AM

Has anyone noticed with r3,r4,r6 and r10 that all the ghosts they described have a greenish glow with flecks of dirt on them. I think I'm detecting a pattern here.

r10 your post confirmed my belief that ghosts can be gone with fire.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2013 5:33 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair,

I met a man who wasn’t there

He wasn’t there again today

I wish, I wish he’d go away...

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2013 5:49 AM

R5 here is a video about the Hampton Court ghost supposedly caught on CCTV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2013 5:55 AM

Whore's don't get a second chance!

by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2013 5:56 AM

When i was about 11 years old i was sleeping in my brothers bed. He was at college. I woke up during a thunder and lightning storm and saw a spirit. Or ghost floating about 6 inches off the ground in front of the dresser. It has a large mirror on top.(mom still has it in the same place). It was similar to what you would picture a ghost as, like a halloween costume. But it floated and the color was like a dirty white. It was about 5 feet in length max. It didn't have features but i knew it was looking at me. I tried to scream, but nothing would come out. I closed my eyes and opened them and it was still there. When lightning lit the bedroom it vanished in the light. But only for the second or two the room was lit. It stood or floated for a long time and i could see through it barely. It was made of a thick mist that moved like a smoke around it. But like I said the shape was as a halloween costume ghost. Just fluid though. I,d never been so scared and finally closed my eyes and rolled over hoping it would leave. About 2 years later, i was about 13. I finally got a bed of my own.(my dead grandmothers) in the same room, where my two brothers and I slept. It was across the room in front of my brothers bed. Woke up and the spirit.ghost was standing.floating right next to my bed at the end of it. Tried to scream again and nothing came out. Again and again I tried but nothing. Closed my eyes tight and when I opened them it had moved to just in front of the door about seven feet away from the bed. My older brother came upstairs seconds later and turned on the light and I took off running downstairs. That was the last time I,d seen it.

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2013 6:39 AM

R18 that was interesting!

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2013 1:11 PM

There is no such thing as a ghost.

People who believe in such nonsense need to be viciously slapped by the living.

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2013 1:20 PM

I fucked one...

Oh Wait...

I thought you said Goat.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2013 1:23 PM

Yes. Bothwell Hotel, Sedalia, Missouri.

I didn't know the place was famously haunted, and a black form in the shape of a man wearing a hat came from the hotel room door to the foot of my bed. And it wasn't just the visual - I could feel the thing, menacing and cold. I had never experienced anything like it.

On a second stay (I stayed 30 miles from where a meeting was just because I was fascinated) I didn't see or "meet" anything, but something started growling in one corner of the room, like a large angry dog.

No fright on my part, but especially with the specter, it left a long-standing sense of unease. Again, like nothing I have felt before.

I reported the experiences to the staff, who told me about the history and showed me their "record book" of incidents. Some staff are petrified to stay the night - the whole rather large (and beautifully maintained - it's perfect) old hotel has different things going on in different parts of the place. As in, when I described the man, the clerk said to another staffer, "He's usually up on 7."

AND the Mormon (I didn't know) owners HATE the whole thing, and are in denial and do not try to capitalize on the hauntings.

For what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2013 1:28 PM

R3. if I were a ghost a fucking supermarket would be the last place I'd hang out.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2013 1:32 PM

[quote]Everyone has a video camera on their phone these days. One would think we'd start to see some verifiable captured footage. Or at least something truly unexplainable. Wouldn't one?

Maybe not. Sometimes you can be so startled by something that you don't think about a photo until it's too late. Other times, something can be gone before you even realize what you saw.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2013 2:02 PM

r22, that's crazy!

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2013 3:41 PM

Never saw a "ghost" but I lived in a house growing up that I always felt threatened in. The closest neighbor was about 1/2 mile away. I always felt there was something out there in the dark watching me. I couldn't sleep alone until I was in my teens. There were native American hieroglyphics on stones on the property. I dreaded nightfall.

by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2013 3:53 PM

why dont you bitches try talking to it and see if it talks back. arent you the least bit curious? (otherwise, im sure half of you could bore it to death and IT would be the one running or flying off screaming into the night.)

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2013 4:06 PM

Yes, he lives in a firehouse with his buff boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2013 4:07 PM

My sister works in vet ward at a hospital, and on many occassions obviously has had patiebnts who died in her care.

She reported on more than one occassion of ghosts sighting all around the hopsital lounge areas.

She said there's even been some ghostly spirits who have been discovered sitting at the piano, playing.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2013 4:19 PM

Spirit tawks to me and mostly just wants you to know they are at peace and with yooze. You know when the flowers wuh late for your weddin' and then showed up? That was your mutha who passed and attendin' your weddin'

by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2013 4:29 PM

r29 that was fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2013 5:18 PM

I've experienced a lot of things ever since I was a child. Most are uneventful or casual but there have been a few scary times.

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2013 5:49 PM

Read "Spook" by Mary Roach. I now take ghost stories with a grain of salt. Exposure to electromagnetic fields can create hallucinations that mimic ghostly sights and sounds and feelings.

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2013 5:53 PM

People often times see ghosts. Gin really enhances the effect.

by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2013 5:53 PM

Thanks r33 I'm going to look into it.

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2013 6:06 PM

Back in the year 2000 I was sleeping in a London hotel room and had the window open. I was lying on my back with the window directly in front of me when I saw a little girl in a white dress floating in front of the window. There was no sound at all, her dress looked Victorian and she had long blonde hair that was flowing like it was in zero gravity. She looked about 8 or 9 years old and had a brilliant white glow all around her. I was paralyzed with fear, and then she just suddenly disappeared. It was the most frightening experience of my life. It took me a long time to get back to sleep that night.

I swear this story is true, I would never make something like this up.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2013 6:37 PM

stop trying to make FEMALE ghosts happen, R36. It is embarrasing and mysangist.

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2013 8:25 PM

R36, please. That was just Princess Eugenie of York after one of her helium treatments. A pediatric weight-loss therapy that obviously didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2013 10:21 PM

damn r10.

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2013 10:35 PM

Wow, r10! I would flip the fuck out if I saw what you did.

by Anonymousreply 40January 26, 2013 10:41 PM

All cultures, all over, cite ghosts.

And people sure do die a lot.

Perhaps there's some kind of spillage.

Seems like an apple falling up, though.

by Anonymousreply 41January 26, 2013 10:50 PM

r3 I believe your story about the prostitute who was murdered but I don't believe the woman you saw was her. How can you possibly make that leap? The only way to prove it was the same girl is if you had a photo of the victim.

I'm sorry, but I just do not believe in ghost. Think about it this way, we all will die. Do you want to believe that you'll be haunting this earth and eternal stuck in the same place where there was a significance to your death?

by Anonymousreply 42January 26, 2013 10:50 PM

Maybe its an energy imprint we leave behind?

by Anonymousreply 43January 26, 2013 11:06 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more people in the US believe in ghosts than believe in evolution.

The stupid. It hurts.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2013 12:43 AM

Ordinarily, I'd be skeptical, too. But if you ever have had experiences with ghosts, there is nothing the naysayers can say. I know what I experienced, so frankly, I don't give a shit what you say or think.

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2013 1:02 AM

I work nights in a nursing home, and yes, some people get confused and hang around awhile. On my one wing, in room 17, there used to be a little woman in the bathroom - grey and white 'bob' haircut, sort of curled in the corner. She seemed scared to death, and was not at all frightening to the staff. One night, she just ceased to be there, and I felt relieved for her.

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2013 1:17 AM

My late cat, Simon, was suffering from kidney failure. Right after the vet had delivered the shot to euthanize him, she nodded her head at me to indicate that Simon had passed. At that moment, all of the lights in the little OR turned off for perhaps 3 or 4 seconds and then came back on. There is no doubt in my mind it was my friend saying good-bye although the vet didn't seem to show any reaction to it.

by Anonymousreply 47January 27, 2013 1:33 AM

In the 80's I ran a movie theater. We always got out from 11:00pm or later. I had different ways to get home and one was an short highway trip and the exit was on a quiet desolate road. Almost every night I took that route, I would pass a woman walking rather quickly on the side of the road. She wore a black cape and you could see her up the road. Rain or shine. I don't know why I never thought to stop in bad weather, but I didn't. I never saw her from the front.

I always left last, but one night the only employee who lived in my town stayed behind and as we were leaving, he asked which way I was going and he said "Oh you pass the Ghost Woman, don't you?". I was kinda floored and asked what he was talking about and he described the same exact woman I had seen. We never left the same time, so it was weird he would see her too in the same spot.

A couple of weeks later I'm going to work for the matinee and coming up to the entrance ramp I see her ahead, back to me as usual but was in broad daylight. This time she is on the median, not on the side of the road. Cool, I thought, first time in daylight and I'd finally get to see her face. As I pass, I turn left and crossed over to the entrance ramp, as I passed I was watching the mirrors and I saw nothing. I got to the ramp and stopped, remember this was a desolate road so I could stop, got out of the car, she would have been only maybe twenty feet away, and she wasn't anywhere, there was absolutely no where to go. I never saw her again.

by Anonymousreply 48January 27, 2013 1:53 AM

Omg, that's a chilling story r48. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 49January 27, 2013 3:12 AM

by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2013 3:57 AM

[r26] Whore's what? Please continue.

by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2013 4:14 AM

On Halloween night about five years ago we went on a tour of the Winchester Mystery House at midnight.

Fun and interesting tour, took lots of pictures. In one photo in the night garden there are dozens of glowing, floating orbs. In another, in one of the rooms, a shadow is in the shape of a human profile.

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2013 4:27 AM

R52

I knew someone that used to work there as a guide. She used to tell me about some of the really odd, freaky, and mysterious things that would go on.

by Anonymousreply 53January 27, 2013 4:41 AM

Yes, everyday....when I look in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2013 5:12 AM

Nurse Marian loves to flicker the lights in the dead-cat rooms to freak the mourning owners. So funny.

by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2013 5:18 AM

I had a family reunion a few years back, where about 25 of us visited the local cemetery to put fresh flowers on the grave and to remember everyone.

It was about 5:30 in the afternoon, and the sun was about to set in 30 minutes or so. As we were pulling away in the car, I looked out the back window and saw my dead uncle, dead aunt, and some unknown woman with a baby carrier dressed in 1950s clothes standing over each other their graves.

No one else saw them.

People didn't believe me at first, but I described what my uncle and aunt were wearing, and everyone gasped because they were wearing the clothes they were buried in. I had no way of knowing since I was too young to go to their funerals.

But the great mystery is who was the woman in black with the baby in a baby carrier? Was she a family member? Did she just want to say hello?

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2013 5:29 AM

The stories that really bother me are the ones where someone goes to a haunted location and something follows them home.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2013 6:08 AM

Yes, I've had experiences with "other" people all my life. I don't know if I'm just receptive or what but Since I was a little kid they have been around. The earliet was at two or three when a woman would visit me in afternoon when I was napping. Years later I saw her photo and was informed that she died in our house a long time ago. She was jilted and died of self poisonong.

Rented an apartment after grad school and the whole damn house was infested with spooks. I wasn't the only person to see them but I was the first to move out. Women who floated down the hallway in old-fashioned dresses and footsteps and banging noises and a ruckess in the attic did me in.

I bought a very early house in upstate NY that was haunted by a little boy. His name was Robert Allen Clark and he died shortly before the Civil War. I found his burial place and records. He terrorized the house when renovations started and workmen would not return. I finally consulted a parapsychologist at a university up there and he helped with a "reading". I still have a tape recording of the session but won't listen to it. The person told me so many things about the house and the boy that became true through research. I found a secret place for hiding stuff and his initials in chalk on a piece of lathe. A carved name on a piece of wood in a closet. Just to name a few. I stayed there three years and had enough. Moved out and my lawyer sold the house for me. I never met the new owners. I still have stuff from that house that I could never let go of for some reason. The carved wood, the lathe with initials, tape, etc. Most of all seven Polaroids of an emerging face that can't be explained. It's the face of a little boy. I sent them to several experts at Kodak and at Polaroid and they were at a loss as how it happened. Also one photo of the house with a face in the window upstairs looking out.

There have been many more but its late and I'm tired. My partner and I own two old houses now. The one we live in is pretty benign but there is a little "energy". The other is out in the Shenandoah Valley built about 1820. Big old brick thing that just pulled us to it. The house was in danger of being torn down and we couldn't get it of our minds. We have done basics just to keep it from falling down and we'll sell it if we can find someone to restore it. It is loaded with "energy" but its only a feeling. There's something there. You can feel someone watching you. The last owner died in the house and its also right next to a Civil War battlefield.

I have to go but I'll add some more storie later especially when I lived in Baltimore and Ellicott City. I only post when its free. Please excuse typos.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2013 8:29 AM

R58,

Please post more! Can you post the photos on flickr and give us a link?

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2013 8:52 AM

One of these days I will. I have to find someone to help us. We're eldergays. I hiss, he hums.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2013 9:10 AM

In the 90s, my ex and I rented this house in the Long Beach neighborhood of Michigan City Indiana. It was up in the Dunes on Lake Shore Drive, right across from Lake Michigan. We rented it for the fall and winter.

This was a very very old summer cottage owned by a psychologist from Chicago. The houses across from us and next to us were larger summer homes that were empty for the winter. So it was mostly just us and the raccoons, up a steep hill, surrounded by trees.

When we rented it, the guy and his wife made a joke about "watch out for the ghost". We laughed it off. The house also had crucifixes up in every room. As soon as we moved in, I took the crucifixes down b/c they creeped me out. Maybe that was kept the things at bay, b/c soon after all hell broke loose.

We would here someone rolling a ball upstairs and playing with our ferret. We would see ghostly feet run up the stairs. His kids spent the weekend, and we heard them talking about seeing something.

The bedrooms were upstairs in a converted attic. We woke up a couple nights to loud clanging of bells and chimes and horns in the walls. We kept the curtains open b/c it was so isolated, and one night I saw this red ball float past the window. I could tell it "saw" me, and then it backed up, and "stared" at me before moving on past the window.

A figurine collection would "move around". Sticks would be thrown against the side of the house. The worst was when I woke up and saw what I swear looked like lightning and smoke trying "take shape" in the hallway.

It got so bad that if one of us got home before the other, we would wait in the drive for the other one. We were grown ass men! The atmosphere of the house and the grounds felt "thick", that is the only word I have for it.

We ended up taking the mattress down into the front room and sleeping there. Finally, we moved out early ,breaking the lease b/c we couldn't take it. We found out later that a guy who had rented it the winter before had also ended up sleeping in the front room and used plastic sheeting to close off the stairs to the attic.

I don't believe in the paranormal, but that place was something else, and I get the chills just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2013 9:31 AM

I've wrote about this before, but about 2 years ago My friend and his wife had moved to Helena, MT, it was my first drive to them and I had underestimate them time it would take me to get there, so I stopped in at a guest house on the MT/SD border. I had text my friend to say I wouldn't be there 'til morning, then got the room and went to bed, I was wide awake and my friend text me back to confirm my text, as I was putting my phone on the locker I suddenly felt out of nowhere the anticipation of being touched then a voice said "I see you." It was so horrible and weird, screechy but the best way I can describe it is as a whispered scream.

I got a fright and looked all round, I always sleep with the blinds drawn so the room was sorta bright, I tired to dismiss it as maybe the tv in the next room, but part of me knew that wasn't a sufficient answer.

I lay back down and almost immediately it sound and felt like a freight train rolling across the room above me, I though WTF's going on up there, not 5 mins later it happened again, but this time I noticed the sound was not coming from the room above me, but the banging was on my ceiling itself, from in my room.

I followed the thump as it went across the ceiling over to the wall and that's when I saw a man, I sat up, he was so ordinary looking, he was just so normal, in a striped pajamas, but he looked with just a smug, threatening look, I felt really intimated, like I was been cornered my a group of thugs or bullies, I just felt really threatened and intimated, and he looked at me and he said "I see you." but it was loaded with such malice, I ran for the door and when I turned back he was gone, but the room stank, like burning rotten cabbage.

I hovered in the hallway for a second before I plucked up the courage to go back in to et my things, I only did this by proper in the door open with a chair, I was terrified it would slam shut behind me, I grabbed my stuff and bolted.

Before this I was atheist, I was raised atheist and I still haven't told my folks about this experience, I doubt I will, but it was a truly terrifying experience.

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2013 10:08 AM

Casey Anthony is declaring bankruptcy.

She blames the Jon-Benet Ramsey for it.

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2013 11:37 AM

Caspar the racist ghost

The raciest ghost you know

Though blacks all might

Look at him with fright

Whites all love him so

He always says it's great

If you love to hate

Without saying it goes

How much he really hates those Negroes

Black folk don't understand

Why whites love him the most

He'll burn a cross

Toast the Holocaust

Caspar the racist ghost.

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2013 12:03 PM

You always hear these "mediums" say that ghosts are just regular people who don't know they've passed on but do you think some of them just choose to hang around because they enjoy being able to spy on and scare the living?

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2013 2:32 PM

R62, I have never something more scary.

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2013 3:03 PM

I wonder if that house is still around R61.

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2013 3:34 PM

I met a roast

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2013 3:37 PM

I ain't 'fraid of no roast!

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2013 3:44 PM

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2013 5:34 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 72January 27, 2013 7:50 PM

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2013 11:11 PM

I ain't fraid of no ghost!

by Anonymousreply 74January 28, 2013 12:45 AM

Hi Ray Parker Jr!

by Anonymousreply 75January 28, 2013 12:47 AM

Never seen one. But I believe people who say they have.

by Anonymousreply 76January 28, 2013 12:47 AM

Threads like this are so depressing. It's sad to know that so many people are so childishly credulous.

Ghosts don't exist, because when people die all brain function ceases -- and THEY'RE DEAD. There's no such literal thing as a "soul" or "spirit" or whatever else Oprah taught you.

Have any of you deep-thinkers seen Santa and his reindeer?

by Anonymousreply 77January 28, 2013 12:58 AM

[quote]Have any of you deep-thinkers seen Santa and his reindeer?

Yes. Christmas Eve. I was seven. Peeked out the window and saw a red glow over the roofs on the next block. I know it was Santa.

by Anonymousreply 78January 28, 2013 1:38 AM

I know a gay couple who talk about seeing ghosts. They're both mentally defective.

by Anonymousreply 79January 28, 2013 1:44 AM

I've never "met" a ghost, but I've had two creepy encounters in my life:

1)My ex and I lived in an apartment that butted up against a wooded area where teenagers and homeless people liked to trespass and drink. To combat this, my apartment company installed several motion activated floodlights that trip anytime someone walked back in the wooded area behind our patios. Pretty annoying, but it beat the possibility of getting mugged or harassed.

One night, I woke up to the sound of footsteps crunching through the woods right underneath our bedroom window (the windows were open) and heard three voices discussing something. They definitely weren't speaking English, but they also weren't speaking any other discernible language. It was guttural, slow, and well...demonic sounding. I elbowed my bf awake and we listened for several minutes and argued about whether to call the cops. The weird thing was, even though we could clearly hear them moving around, we couldn't actually see them, nor did they trip the motion lights in the backyard. The officer sent to check it out couldn't find anyone or see any evidence of people hanging around, either.

2) I was a music major in college, so spent quite a few late nights practicing in our conservatory building. The best piano was in our very old recital hall, so I snagged it whenever possible for practice. Above the recital hall there was a balconied room that had been converted from a piano studio into a little viewing area for faculty and guests. The story was a piano instructor had died there in the early 1900s and haunted the conservatory. I never saw her, but one night while practicing, I cursed in frustration and banged my hands on the keyboard. As soon as I did that, the curtains on the balcony snapped open and closed. I called out to see if anyone was around, checked the other practice room, and finding no one else in the building, got a bit skeeved out and left. When I came to class the next day, the recital hall had been closed for repairs. One of the big pipes on wall above the pipe organ (next to the piano where I was practicing) had fallen out of its supports and landed on the floor next to the piano. No one had any clue how it had happened, because the pipe would've had to have been lifted up first before it could've fallen and it would've taken at least a handful of people on ladders to make it happen. Very, very creepy, and I always wondered if my little outburst triggered the wrath of an old ass piano ghost.

by Anonymousreply 80January 28, 2013 1:57 AM

[quote]Ghosts don't exist, because when people die all brain function ceases -- and THEY'RE DEAD. There's no such literal thing as a "soul" or "spirit" or whatever else Oprah taught you

Not that long ago, people thought the world as flat, that there were no "cells" or "DNA" or "electricity", and that there were only 3 (4 if you count time) dimensions.

And they were every bit as assured in the correctness of their opinions as you are, R77.

My point is this: we don't know what we don't know.

I never said that I saw a "ghost" or "something paranormal" or "Santa Claus", but whatever I experienced was definitely out of the realm of what is currently considered normal experience.

by Anonymousreply 81January 28, 2013 1:57 AM

I ain't 'fraid of no Toast!

by Anonymousreply 82January 28, 2013 1:59 AM

R62 wins.

by Anonymousreply 83January 28, 2013 2:05 AM

[quote]The story was a piano instructor had died there in the early 1900s and haunted the conservatory

Brings to mind the ghost at Elizabeth Hall, the music building at a campus my friend attended. He had some strange ghostly tales.

by Anonymousreply 84January 28, 2013 2:11 AM

R84,

You should post them!

by Anonymousreply 85January 28, 2013 2:16 AM

How interesting, [R84]. I grew up in a small college town with a building named after Elizabeth something (Robertson or Robinson), and it was rumored to be haunted, too. This definitely wasn't the same college (ours was an all-girls' school), but it's funny to see the same tropes repeated all over.

by Anonymousreply 86January 28, 2013 2:17 AM

Play practice in the auditorium an we heard the clamor and banging on the bleachers in the neighboring gym. A loud banging of the large bleachers. We all ran in from across the hall and inspected. No one around. That side of the school was haunted. Supposedly built over graves. There were stories from custodians, students, and gym teachers, one who was a close family friend.

by Anonymousreply 87January 28, 2013 2:17 AM

R61 - I know someone who grew up in Long Beach and my boss has a summer home there.

Which house is it?

by Anonymousreply 88January 28, 2013 2:21 AM

When I was very young my family took a vacation to L.A. which included a visit to the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

On the tour we went down into the bowels of the ship into some tiny area with a very narrow hallway. I couldn't tell you where it was, I was too small to care about those things. Anyway, I became very bored, as a small child would, and decided to walk away from the group back down the tiny hallway. When I turned around, a very handsome military man in an older-style uniform smiled at me and then turned and walked towards the right. I got a weird feeling from him--I knew he was something special and I wanted to follow him. When I traced his steps I found that what he had walked towards was just the walls of the ship! There was no door there, no hallway--it was just a dead end.

Later at the hotel I wanted to tell my family but something compelled me not to--as if I would be breaking someone's confidence or something. He was friendly and sweet but also gave me a knowing look, as if to "keep this a secret."

This ghost that I met occurred long before there was any mention of hauntings on the Queen Mary released to the public, and before any psychics had begun to investigate the ship.

by Anonymousreply 89January 28, 2013 2:33 AM

Met one? I live with one!

by Anonymousreply 90January 28, 2013 2:43 AM

I was staying in a motel room with my parents in Midland, Michigan. I was like 13 or 14. This was in 1976, I think.

When you turned out the lights, it was pitch, pitch black. You couldn't see your hand 2 inches from your face. We all commented on how dark it was before going to sleep. And your eyes didn't adjust either. 20 minutes later it was still completely pitch black dark.

I awoke suddenly and was surprised to see that I was looking down at my pillow - and actually more surprised that I could SEE the pillow and the bed below me, before I realized that it was strange that I was somehow floating above the bed. I distinctly remember looking below me toward my feet to see who was holding me up (by the ankles?) Of course there was no-one there. Then I became worried.

I looked to my right, in the direction of my parents (who I could see perfectly well asleep in their bed), and toward the entry to the motel room. In that short hallway leading into the room there was a male figure. Clearly outlined and clearly a man. However, the inside of that outline was red and orange - like he was totally comprised of fire. Obviously, this startled me.

He then moved into the room, and moved alongside my parents bed, toward the head of the bed - on the opposite side of them. He stopped and then reached toward me, over my sleeping parents. In the terror of this, I had the impression that he was pointing a gun at me, although I don't think there was such an object, it's just what my mind immediately assumed. I let out a scream of sorts (very constricted) and I immediately fell back onto the bed. When I opened my eyes again (again, very difficult to do) there was nothing/no one there.

I preceded to try to scream again, but had a very difficult time making sound - but I succeeded enough to wake my parents. I could see them sitting up and heard them wake each other up "I think he's having a bad dream. Wake him up." I could see my mother (closest to me) reaching and trying to find the light switch. The room was illuminated during all this, btw.

My dad finally came over to me and when he touched me there was quite an electrical shock (to both him and me) and I apparently jumped a good foot off the bed. But then I was completely up and awake and I immediately started talking a mile a minute about what had just happened. They were quite alarmed and tried to calm me and get me to go back to 'sleep'.

Next day, they attested that when I woke them up, it was still pitch black in the room - yet I saw and described their every move. They really did not want to talk about what I was telling them.

A year or so later they finally revealed to me that just a couple weeks before my 'experience' my sister (who was in college) had called home frantic describing events very similar to mine (the darkness, the levitating, the malevolent ghost-like figure, and other details that for brevity's sake I really couldn't go into here). At the time, they chose not to share this with me because they were afraid that it would frighten me. Yet, that night in Midland, MI they were freaking out because what I was describing was remarkably similar to what my sister had described just a couple of weeks earlier.

by Anonymousreply 91January 28, 2013 3:52 AM

I was in my apartment in San Francisco about ten years ago and a ghost stood in the doorway of my living room.

by Anonymousreply 92January 28, 2013 3:58 AM

R91--

Since then, did you discuss it with your sister? Did she have any theories about what/who it was?

by Anonymousreply 93January 28, 2013 4:10 AM

r91, that was chilling. Did you find out what it meant?

by Anonymousreply 94January 28, 2013 4:29 AM

When I was little our TV was black-and-white and when the wind blew the roof antenna a little out of position the TV had ghosts. I saw them with my own eyes.

by Anonymousreply 95January 28, 2013 5:32 AM

Is anyone here a member of a spiritualist church? And if so, could you write a little abot yor experiences?

by Anonymousreply 96January 28, 2013 5:36 AM

One of my maternal aunts died when I was 6. Her two sons were in the military and they decided not to sell her house right away. They got another cousin to move into the house to maintain it. When I was 9, my family stayed with her during a family event. One night I went into the bathroom and right when I turned the light on, my aunt appeared to me in the mirror. It really scared me and I never told any of my relatives about it. My cousins sold the house a few years later. At times, I have thought about asking the other cousin who lived in the house if she ever had similar experiences.

by Anonymousreply 97January 28, 2013 5:49 AM

Whether or not they exist, I enjoy a good ghost story. Keep them coming!

by Anonymousreply 98January 28, 2013 6:04 AM

I agree--keep them coming!

I don't have any of my own. I once spent a weekend at the much-bruited about haunted plantation called the Myrtles in Louisiana, but nothing happened. Certainly, it felt creepy in the way that old houses sometimes do, but I slept like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2013 6:09 AM

I don't know why they don't make more movies with scared black people in 'em.

by Anonymousreply 100January 28, 2013 6:17 AM

by Anonymousreply 101January 28, 2013 4:14 PM

good stories!

by Anonymousreply 102January 28, 2013 5:10 PM

R102 I know right. I'm hooked.

by Anonymousreply 103January 28, 2013 5:30 PM

R81: No, dear, what you experienced is something that you *interpreted* to be outside of the realm of normal experience. All of those things that you listed, they are explicable, and so is whatever happened to you.

My point is similar to yours: we don't know what we don't know, but everything we've ever learned throughout all of history has turned out NOT to have been supernatural or mystical or other-worldly.

by Anonymousreply 104January 29, 2013 2:49 AM

Just remember we do not know where we go, if we do go on after we are dead. Anything believed today is just made up to elleviate the fear of death. Our energy might go on, it might not. No one knows.

by Anonymousreply 105January 29, 2013 2:56 AM

My point exactly.

by Anonymousreply 106January 29, 2013 2:57 AM

I recently bought a ghost for the children to saunter with. How ethereal, it's a vision watching my ghost's pure white apparition dart to and fro as the little one's laugh and try to catch it.

I did spring for a top quality, Native American ghost as I have heard horror stories about inferior ghosts. Obviously, the cheeper posters on this thread are regretting the greenish tints on their inferior banshee. I know that a soul is a large price to pay, but my ghost has been my best investment yet. Namaste!

by Anonymousreply 107January 29, 2013 3:07 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 108January 29, 2013 9:16 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 109January 29, 2013 10:26 PM

bump in the night.

by Anonymousreply 110January 30, 2013 3:40 AM

The poster who described the air in a haunted house as "thick" was very accurate. That's exactly what it feels like. There can also be an overwhelming sense of unease too.

When I was still a kid-- about 10 or so-- family friends of ours came to stay with us while house-hunting in the DC area. We went with them to look at houses, and one house in particular made me incredibly uneasy. It was in the Mount Vernon section of Alexandria. I don't have any adequate way to describe it except to say that the house felt all "wrong" for lack of a better word. But wrong in a very significant and frightening way. The longer I stayed in it, the greater the sense of dread. It was worse in the basement, which was spacious, well-lit, and contained the family room. They ended up buying it and moving in, but moved a year later. I'm not sure why though, but wonder if it had something to do with the creepy feeling. The house they moved to a the same size and only two streets over.

I've since been in a couple other houses like that one and my skin has crawled.

by Anonymousreply 111January 31, 2013 4:33 AM

My cousin grew up on a street that had a weird house. If you even walked by it you just sensed this weird energy.

I don't know what kind of paranormal experience was going on, but no tenant in the house would stay more than two years.

The first new tenant killed himself. The second new tenant after that killed her husband. The tenant after that tried to kill her daughter and the final tenant tried to kill herself.

My cousin's family moved away after that so I don't know if anything else continued to occur at that house.

by Anonymousreply 112January 31, 2013 4:52 AM

P112,

Where was the house? City/state? And when did all the killings happen?

by Anonymousreply 113January 31, 2013 5:08 AM

R111,

Were you the only one that sensed the "creepiness" at the time?

by Anonymousreply 114January 31, 2013 5:10 AM

I'm often visited by the ghost of an eldergay with the most terrifying hissss!

by Anonymousreply 115January 31, 2013 5:18 AM

R111

I can relate to the thick air and feeling of uneasiness.

I have a couple of unexplained events from when I was a kid.

When I was maybe about 12, I was out on this enclosed deck that was attached to the house. The door from the deck into the house had a deadbolt lock. I was sitting out there on a chair just reading when all of a sudden the door closed and the lock turned. The moment it did that I felt a thick fog and a complete sense of uneasiness. I then heard what sounded like an older male laughing. It was sort of a menacing laugh.

I wanted to scream, but couldn't. The next minute the deadbolt turned back the other way and the thick air disappeared. I immediately ran through the house thinking that one of my brothers was playing a joke on me, but nobody else was home.

A few years later, my sister told me that she was taking a shower and shampooing her hair. When she had rinsed the shampoo, she caught something out of the corner of her eye. She turned her head and looked through the shower curtain (it was one of those clear ones) and she saw a man standing at the sink looking at himself in the mirror. He then turned his head towards her and smiled.

She pulled the shower curtain away and whatever was there was gone. She also mentioned that the air felt thick and as though she could barely move through it.

by Anonymousreply 116January 31, 2013 5:27 AM

Why are ghosts scary? Why do we inherently fear them?

by Anonymousreply 117January 31, 2013 5:34 AM

R114, I honestly don't recall as it was so many years ago. A few years after that, I saw the old black and white version of the Haunting of Hill House. There were scenes in that movie where doorways seemed askew (Mary! What a word, but you know what I mean) and hallways too lengthy, etc. That's what this house *felt* like to me. Distorted and wrong.

I've told the story here before of something that happened a few years ago when my mother, sister-in-law, and I went to look at a house for sale down the street from me. We all fled from that place with our skin crawling. It was a perfectly cute house, but had the most horrific vibe. It felt like it was a portal to hell... and I don't even believe in hell. None of us said anything to each other while we were in there, but we all practically ran over each other to get out of the front door. Once we were on the sidewalk and walking back to my house, we all started expressing relief that we were out of there. Turns out we'd all had the exact same strong impressions and that it felt strongest in the closet in the front upstairs bedroom, and at the top of the stairs to the basement. My sister-in-law had a very stolid and phlegmatic personality, so I was pretty surprised that she'd been as freaked out as Mom and I were.

That house was purchased, and then completely renovated and enlarged by a husband and wife, and they had little kids. I ran into her at her place of employment a year ago, and almost asked her what her experiences were in that house, if any. I didn't want to scare her if she hadn't felt anything, though, so kept mum. Just found out she recently bought another house and moved.

I dunno, I guess some people pick up on these things and others just don't. I'm generally a pragmatist and a skeptic, but I know what I felt. Oddly, it still makes me uneasy thinking or writing about it.

by Anonymousreply 118February 1, 2013 5:14 AM

You hear stories about dark energies surrounding a place but do "ghosts" create it or does the negative energy draw ghosts or whatever to that place?

by Anonymousreply 119February 1, 2013 5:33 AM

OP, "met" is the wrong choice of word. You don't "meet" ghosts. You encounter or see ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 120February 1, 2013 5:37 AM

[quote]I'm often visited by the ghost of an eldergay with the most terrifying hissss!

That's so funny! Do you also post as Helen Lawson?

by Anonymousreply 121February 1, 2013 2:47 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 122February 2, 2013 2:01 AM

Groundhog Day bump

by Anonymousreply 123February 2, 2013 10:56 PM

Don't know how it is in the US, but the world of mediums and Ghost Societies is stuffed with Gays of all ages.

Also a class issue - people at the top and bottom of society entertain the idea of spooks. Sceptics are usually socially insecure middle classes obsessed with identifying social faults. Not realising they are lighting themselves up.

There again, as we know, there is no class structure in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 124February 3, 2013 3:08 AM

I follow Chip Coffey on Twitter but strangely he never(or rarely)posts about anything psychic or spirit related. What are some of the more famous "Ghost caught on film" videos. I tried looking it up on YouTube but all you get are those jump scare videos.

by Anonymousreply 125February 4, 2013 12:00 AM

[quote]Sceptics are usually socially insecure middle classes obsessed with identifying social faults.

That's an interesting viewpoint.

by Anonymousreply 126August 20, 2013 9:17 PM

Many of you people are describing episodes of common sleep paralysis.

by Anonymousreply 127August 20, 2013 11:21 PM

Threads that go bump in the night.

by Anonymousreply 128September 6, 2013 12:44 AM

Bump! Keep them coming!

by Anonymousreply 129September 20, 2013 6:05 AM

bump n grind

by Anonymousreply 130September 20, 2013 11:28 AM

A man with a beard and a white tunic appeared/disappeared in my bedroom once when I was about 7. I don't know if it was a ghost or something else.

by Anonymousreply 131September 20, 2013 1:57 PM

I have never seen a ghost but have a few friends who say they have, and they are pretty sane and together. Personally, I would like to see one..I don't seem to have any fear of them if they do manifest as others say. I actually hope I do get to see one someday. Just something different I guess.

by Anonymousreply 132September 20, 2013 2:15 PM

A friend of mine had completed restoration work on a colonial house that's right beside the cathedral in a south american town. They planed a piano concert for the inauguration so they brought a grand piano in the house the day before the event.That night, in front of the two policeman that were guarding the house, the piano started playing by itself. Needless to say the two cops ran like hell. The next morning when the cathedrals pastor heard the story he said : "oh that's nothing, you want to see ghosts? spend a night in the cathedral"

by Anonymousreply 133September 20, 2013 2:52 PM

OK, I just saw something from the corner of my eye going into the closet in my little guest house where I have my office.

Now granted, I've watched a couple medium videos on Youtube so it's highly likely it's my imagination or the meth.

But.

I've experienced this before at my parents house. My parents experienced it as well. When my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer he caught something from the corner of his eye on the top floor landing going into his room. I was in their family and the same thing happened to me, glimpsing something going into his office. My mother witnessed something similar.

Either the apple doesn't fall far from the crazy family tree, or...

Oh, and my dad died.

by Anonymousreply 134October 26, 2013 1:07 AM

No David Belasco ghost sightings in the Belasco Theater?

by Anonymousreply 135October 26, 2013 1:12 AM

I woke up, and I saw of Ghost! And then I fucking viciously face-slapped it!!

by Anonymousreply 136October 26, 2013 1:12 AM

"I was in their family" I meant to type I was in their house.

I'm still in their family.

by Anonymousreply 137October 26, 2013 1:14 AM

When I was a child, we had a ghost in our house. All of us saw him though only my sister and I could talk with him. He stopped talking with my sister when she was around 12 and by the time I was 14, I never saw him again.

The last time any of us saw him was by my dad shortly after my mom died.

My nephew tracked him down on ancestry.com. He was a widower whose only child pre-deceased him. I can only hope that my family gave him some kind of comfort.

After dad died, our house was bought and converted to a computer repair shop. I hope my ghost is alright.

by Anonymousreply 138October 26, 2013 1:21 AM

r91, the oddest thing about your post is that you stayed in Midland, Mi. What were you doing there?

by Anonymousreply 139October 26, 2013 1:30 AM

I think I originally found this link from this website several years ago.

It's a nurses forum and the thread is about ghost sightings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 26, 2013 1:31 AM

My grandmother is my only remaining grandparent and she's on her deathbed. I called her this morning to say a final goodbye and I cried during the call and after while on the hotel room bed. An hour later, I noticed 3 ceiling lights and a lamp light were flickering, but the light switches were turned off. I had the shades closed. I video taped it on my cellphone. My grandmother hasn't died yet, but my assumption, if anything, is that it was my grandfather. I've checked several times throughout the day and they lights are not doing it so it's not a recurring problem with the lights as far as I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 141October 26, 2013 1:56 AM

Aww...R141. I hope you get through your grief OK.

by Anonymousreply 142October 26, 2013 4:01 AM

Best wishes r141

by Anonymousreply 143October 26, 2013 4:22 PM

Nope and I don't want to. People in my family and my friends have met "ghost", but we call them demons.

by Anonymousreply 144October 26, 2013 4:30 PM

Those stories from nurses about freaky shit when a patient dies can be scary as hell!

by Anonymousreply 145October 26, 2013 4:33 PM

[quote]When I was a child, we had a ghost in our house. All of us saw him though only my sister and I could talk with him. He stopped talking with my sister when she was around 12 and by the time I was 14, I never saw him again.

He was obviously a pedophile.

by Anonymousreply 146October 26, 2013 4:33 PM

I've never seen one but I believe they exist and I'm not sure what they actually are. I wish science would investigate.

by Anonymousreply 147October 26, 2013 4:35 PM

I've never seen a ghost but I've had experiences and there is no known explanation for those experiences. So yes, I believe in the para-normal.

People who feel the need to insult reasonably intelligent people, because of their experiences...those who are doing the insulting, those people are the ones with limited intelligence. Anything that they can't understand, they have to insult.

by Anonymousreply 148October 26, 2013 5:36 PM

Yes. Several actually. The first time was when I was about 4. My grandmother had died recently ( this was the early 1970's) and my mom would often visit her grave to put flowers, talk, etc. I went with her several times. As my mom would pull weeds, talk, etc, I saw a lady who told me her name was Claudia.

As I was talking to her, my mom looked up and said "Who are you talking to? Grandma?"

"No. Her name is Claudia. She's very pretty. Maybe she's a friend of Grandma's". Mom said, "Honey, there's no one there. Stop making things up."

"I'm NOT making it up! Claudia is right here and she's wearing funny clothes."

Mom didn't believe me. A few weeks later--I think it was Grandma's birthday--we went to the cemetery again. I saw Claudia. I said "Hi, Claudia! How are you?" Well, Mom freaked told me to "Stop it! If you keep lying, I'll have Dad whip you with the belt!" Needless to say, Mom never took back to the cemetery.

However, several family members died in the interim and were buried in the same cemetery. Several years later--when I was able to read--I wandered around the cemetery and found what I assumed was my Claudia's grave. As I stood there, I felt an ice cold breeze, even though it was a warm day in late spring.She died in 1932 when she was 24 years old.

I've been to some cemeteries and had to leave as the energy coming from them was so intense.And yes, I saw what assume were ghosts wandering around.

by Anonymousreply 149October 26, 2013 5:42 PM

Ghosts are not real. As a psychologist, the brain makes up over half of what we perceive.

James Randi has offered $1 million for valuable proof that ghosts exist, and no one has claimed that money in over 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 150October 26, 2013 5:51 PM

We need to bring back the Halloween threads!

by Anonymousreply 151October 26, 2013 6:14 PM

On a couple of the ghost shows on TV, they have shown apparitions walking, they are on video.

I don't need that because as I've said, I've had experiences and so have people I know. People I respect and believe. People that would have no reason to lie.

Usually people have the experiences but rarely relate them to anyone because they don't understand them and simply don't know what to make of them.

by Anonymousreply 152October 26, 2013 6:16 PM

Imagine that. Video of ghosts on ghost TV shows. I hope it wasn't faked. I believe everything I see on TV.

by Anonymousreply 153October 26, 2013 6:23 PM

Oh please. That's r153 showing her ignorance.

One thing about the shows...they don't have much evidence but this evidence was shown on two different shows and in completely different situations. You can't prove something exist if you don't investigate and when you do investigate, anything that is found is accused of being a hoax.

My point is still the same. People I know and respect have told me about what that they saw and had no explanation for. If you want to call everyone with a story a liar or deluded, that's who you are. You're narrow minded.

by Anonymousreply 154October 26, 2013 9:56 PM

Why would a ghost wander around the cemetery? They probably were never even there while they were alive. Why be attached to where your corpse is buried?

by Anonymousreply 155October 26, 2013 10:02 PM

Ghost at gas station?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 26, 2013 10:30 PM

I used to like that English show with the blonde lady. Can't remember what it was called. On that show, the ghosts would throw rocks at them. On American shows they scream OMG! Did you hear that? And of course we, as the audience, don't hear a damn thing.

Give me a rock throwing ghost show any time.

by Anonymousreply 157October 26, 2013 10:39 PM

Most Haunted.... loved that lame ass show!

by Anonymousreply 158October 26, 2013 10:43 PM

Strangely enough, I was lying on my side in bed last night recovering from outpatient surgery when I felt a hand laid comfortingly on my shoulder.

It may have been a dream or a hallucination but I like to think it was my grandmother checking in on me. She passed away in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 159October 27, 2013 12:49 AM

The gas station video was debunked on "Fact or Faked".

by Anonymousreply 160October 27, 2013 12:54 AM

There are some people on youtube with interesting EVPs.

by Anonymousreply 161October 27, 2013 1:03 AM

[quote]Ghosts are not real. As a psychologist, the brain makes up over half of what we perceive.

The brain is a psychologist?

by Anonymousreply 162October 27, 2013 1:10 AM

Bump for Halloween

by Anonymousreply 163October 31, 2013 2:25 PM

I have had a couple of odd experiences.

The most recent was about 2 years ago. I was shopping at a store that was set up as a temporary "pop-up" store in an old warehouse. I was sitting down and waiting for the saleslady to calulate the bill. I had my head turned away from the saleslady and felt someone very distinctly and firmly grab my wrist. I remember thinking "This sales lady does not know me, why is she touching me?". I looked back toward the clerk and she was sitting about 4 feet away and was deeply engrossed in trying to figure out how to check out my purchase on her equiptment. There was no way she could have touched me.

It was warm outside, and I brought my small dog inside with me and he was sitting on my lap during this. I wonder if the spirit was attracted to the dog. It was like someone was trying to get my attention.

Several years ago I was living in a small house by myself. One night while watching TV, I saw "someone" walk past the hall doorway and head down the hall. I was so certain someone was in the house I ran down the hall yelling at the "person" that I had seen. There was no trace of the person and there was no sign of anyone entering or leaving.

Same house: I was at my desk and very suddenly I smelled a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE smell. It was unlike anything I have ever smelled before or since. I remember getting down on my hand and knees to see if I could see what smelled so badly. The weird thing is the smell dissapated as quickly as it came on. I am familar with skunks and it was a different smell. I did not hear any clawing of animals in the wall either.

by Anonymousreply 164October 31, 2013 2:57 PM

I had a smell experience the other night. For no reason at all I suddenly smelled a chemical smell while I was laying in bed. It made me somewhat nervous because I could not think of one explanation for it. It went away rather quickly and I tried to dream up some explanation for it but honestly, there was no explanation.

by Anonymousreply 165October 31, 2013 8:26 PM

I never saw a ghost but one gave me a pretty hard kidney punch one day, while I was at work. Yes I knew who it was and yes, it hurt. Even though he wasn't visible, he was a real aggravation. He was a bastard in life and in death.

by Anonymousreply 166October 31, 2013 8:31 PM

Have you ever met a ghost?

Not formally.

by Anonymousreply 167October 31, 2013 9:01 PM

My favorite ghost stories are the ones involving Black Eyed Kids (I haven't experienced them myself though).

These are kids between the ages of 9 to14, they usually come in pairs and plead with you to let them into your house or car. They wear drab clothing and have a monotonous and oddly confident manner of speech (especially for kids their age). The people who have encountered them say they have never felt more scared in their lives than in the presence of these BEKs, especially when they get to see their eyes: two soulless, pitch black orbs. The most famous BEK anecdote is probably the one experienced by Brian Bethel (see link).

The stories fascinate me, because I've always held the belief that evil forces always need to be 'invited', before they can do their bidding. Just remember: if you hear a persistent, monotonous knocking at your door or car window late at night, beware ... and if you do get to meet them, don't invite them in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 31, 2013 9:44 PM

[quote]The stories fascinate me, because I've always held the belief that evil forces always need to be 'invited', before they can do their bidding.

Remember the Quija Board thread from a few years ago? That thread scared the crap out of me for page after page.

by Anonymousreply 169October 31, 2013 10:07 PM

There used to be a house where a old spinster piano teacher lived and died, and it was well known to be haunted. They would try to rent the place and tenants would move out the next day. They said that they would wake up in the night and there would be an old woman standing at the foot of their bed, except she was only visible from the waist up. It got so bad that the Realtor put "See Agent for info on latent defect" and when you asked he would tell you about the ghost.

A friend and I decided to see for ourselves, so we went over one afternoon just as it was getting dark. The lockbox was on the garage (an addition to the old two story house), and we had to feel our way through the garage to the kitchen door where the light switch was. Once we were in we thought we were pretty funny--we opened closet doors, we called out to the ghost, and we generally played Scooby-Do looking for the damned thing. Nothing, although I'll admit I was pretty nervous the whole time.

As we were leaving, I was locking the door when I realized that a garage light was still on. I went back to the kitchen and flipped all the light switches and nothing happened, light was still on. I knew it wasn't on when we came in, because I remembered feeling my way in the dark, so I went over to the light which was a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling in the far corner of the garage, probably 25 feet from anywhere we walked.

The only way to turn the light off and on was a pull chain dangling from the socket, and like I said, we hadn't been anywhere near it. I pulled that chain and every hair on my body stood straight up, and I felt a sense of dread like nothing I've felt before or since. That 25 feet in total darkness from the light to the door might as well have been a mile, and I know I wasn't alone in that garage. I'll never set foot in that house again.

by Anonymousreply 170October 31, 2013 10:21 PM

I lived in a house in LA that was haunted. We would hear banging noises coming from a long hallway that had two bedrooms at each end and a bathroom in the middle. No the noise was not from banging pipes or rats or anything like that. Just loud, random angry banging.

One night my roommates and I (there were 6 of us) were hanging out in our family room drinking wine by the fireplace and we began chatting about spooky tales, ghosts etc., and someone brought up the noises from the hallway. Now we were all pretty level headed people from all over the country, mainly post college and in our early twenties. We did not do drugs or anything of the like. Well, we all had heard the banging and joked that it was "the house ghost." We all loudly began asking "if there is someone here like a ghost please let us know or give us a sign." WHY DID WE ASK??? All of a sudden we heard the LOUDEST bang from that hallway. Well, let me tell you 2 grown men and 4 grown women screamed so loud and jumped so high that we ran out onto our back patio screaming and freaking out! It took is like 10 minutes to go back into the house...

The last incident involves me moving into one of the bedrooms at the end of that hallway. One morning, I was in bed around 6am, it was still chilly but I could feel the sun shining through the window shades (I was in that space between sleep and waking up at dawn) when I heard a woman's voice whispering in my ear. My guess is that by her voice, she was in her 20s or 30s. I froze, i started sweating but I did not move an inch! She then started counting down from 10-1. When she reached one I was shaking and sweating so much but I refused to move or open my eyes! When she got to 1 I felt what I describe as something like electricity or static that started from the tip of my head and out to the end of my feet. I mean, it only took like a second for that electric feeling to pass through my body but I certainly felt it. Well, I laid in bed too freaked out to move. I think i stayed in place for like an hour until I was brave enough to run out of my room and scream bloody murder waking up all my roommates. Needless to say, i never felt anything again and never really talked to any of my roommates after that so I don't know if they felt or saw anything else. I never felt threatened or in danger but waking up to that woman whispering in my ear changed my views on ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 171November 1, 2013 2:45 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 172May 20, 2014 2:22 PM

I had my long anticipated visit to my ancestral home a couple weeks ago. The current owner allowed me to tour it. My 6th great grandfather built it around 1750, and it was a thrill using the original handrail on the narrow staircase, knowing that he used it, and probably planed it, himself. I did not; however, sense a presence or get a creepy vibe, to my disappointment. I did see that squirrels had made a home in the eves, and wonder if they or fellow earthly creatures might be providing the rumored special effects.

by Anonymousreply 173May 20, 2014 2:32 PM

[quote]All of us saw him though only my sister and I could talk with him.

R138 What did it say?

by Anonymousreply 174May 20, 2014 3:47 PM

The scariest thing about the nurse stories is that if they believe they're having a paranormal experience they apparently just stop working and let their patients die.

by Anonymousreply 175May 20, 2014 4:10 PM

This thread is always better when read in the daytime.

by Anonymousreply 176May 20, 2014 4:23 PM

I like to read about the different experiences that people have had.

by Anonymousreply 177September 23, 2014 4:38 AM

WhenI was 9 or so,my mother and I went over to my Grandmas house and as we were pulling up we saw an elderly woman come from around the back of the house and go in the side door. We both commented on her as she didn't look familiar,but my mother thought maybe it was a friend of grandmas. We park and start to walk in the side door and we realize its locked,wich mom thought was rude as the lady looked right at us as she was going in and obviously knew we were arriving.

We knocked and knocked but no one answered,so mom pulled out her spare key and we went in. There was no one in the house at all.Mom gets a little freaked at this point and started calling around to see where my grandparents were,and found them at my uncles house,several miles away ! We both saw her,it was broad daylight! She was wearing a brown blouse and a blue skirt,and had a cloud of white hair.

Even then,it was years later before I admitted to myself what I had seen. Ive had a few encounters since then,but that was my first. I think it made me aware there was another side to the world.

by Anonymousreply 178September 23, 2014 7:29 AM

One time I was touched by an angel.

by Anonymousreply 179September 23, 2014 11:53 AM

Technically no. We weren't formerly introduced but there was contract through the glory hole at JC Penny

by Anonymousreply 180September 24, 2014 8:31 AM

My sister's a nurse and used to do night shifts in hospital wards. She told me that you'd be lucky to find a night ward nurse who didn't believe in ghosts, because shit happens all the time - everyone sees ghosts and ghostly activites, but no-one talks about it - they do open the window after someone dies though, to try and help it move along.

There are some nursing forums online where you can read interesting stories.

by Anonymousreply 181September 24, 2014 12:32 PM

R78, I do think it was unusual that two of you saw the ghost at the same time.

I know of one instance where 3 woman in the family heard the voice of their dead grandmother call out to them that the baby was playing on the stairs. And yes, the baby was about to fall off the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 182September 24, 2014 7:22 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 183September 24, 2014 10:09 PM

I heard a Frankenstein lives there!

by Anonymousreply 184September 24, 2014 10:15 PM

by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2014 4:16 AM

Do You Live With A Roast?

by Anonymousreply 186October 22, 2014 4:47 AM

Weird experience today at the rec center. I went in and was talking to the guy at the desk. There was no one in there but the two of us. I sit down on a bench facing some old arcade games and the guy returns to the office.

There are three games. Two are the shoot 'em up types and one is a driving game where you sit down in the seat and use the steering wheel. The two shoot 'em up games are on but the car game is off (it hasn't worked in a while).

All of a sudden, the steering wheel on the car game starts turning - jerking from side to side and spinning around like someone is playing the game.

I thought maybe it was starting up or running the dummy game but I look over and the screen is blank. I get up, walk over to it and find that yes, it is turned off and not working at all.

Weird.

by Anonymousreply 187October 22, 2014 5:16 AM

Weird.

by Anonymousreply 188November 17, 2014 4:14 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 189March 16, 2015 12:30 AM

Why are you resurrecting this stupid thread?

by Anonymousreply 190March 16, 2015 12:36 AM

If meeting someone includes encountering a long dead stranger and experiencing them through non verbal communication... well OP, honey, every time I read a DL post.

by Anonymousreply 191March 16, 2015 12:44 AM

The DL ghost is back at R189.

by Anonymousreply 192March 16, 2015 12:49 AM

Watching the LMN series A Haunting Of.... It seems that ghosts rarely appear to scare or hurt you. Mainly they are there to warn or offer empathy.

They generally don't know they're dead and have to be told to go to the other side.

Thankfully for me, ghosts mainly appear to those who have the "gift" of being able to perceive ghosts. Thus, I have not had any such experiences.

by Anonymousreply 193March 16, 2015 1:10 AM

Did any of you read the recent story about the Utah mother who died in a car crash and about how the police were able to rescue her baby who was strapped in a car seat?

Interesting story.

" 'Mysterious Voice' Led Utah Cops to Discover Child Who Survived For 14 Hours in Submerged Car After Mom Drowned"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 16, 2015 1:47 AM

I met a roast

by Anonymousreply 195March 16, 2015 2:09 AM

I have a story from an old co-worker, a pretty no nonsense Scots woman when I worked IT for government contractor.

One of my other co-workers was a loveable hippie type who really believed in fate and the supernatural. I'm more in the middle - some things can't be explained but most probably can.

Anyway, one day we were talking about this and our boss said that, while she was a sceptic by nature, this one incident was pretty hard to explain rationally.

She was out walking one night and saw a man in a flat cap walking in front of her. She watched him cross the road, turned her attention away for a second, and when she looked back he was gone. Unless he inexplicably ducked behind a bush, there was nowhere for him to have gone. She waited awhile to see if he reappeared. Nothing.

And yes, a man fitting the general description of who she saw had died in that area not long before this happened.

by Anonymousreply 196January 29, 2018 4:36 PM

My partner has some sense of the supernatural. He gets weird feelings about stuff that I've learned to believe and accept. He's also seen ghosts in the house he grew up in and even in our current house.

I have absolutely NO sense of the supernatural so I see or feel nothing.

by Anonymousreply 197January 29, 2018 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!