Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why don't more people use aluminum foil as a back-splash for the stove?

Why don't more designers do that?

The back-splash is a magnet for grease. Using aluminum foil is an easy way to get rid of grease. All you have to do is change the foil.

So why don't more people use aluminum foil as a back-splash for the stove?

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2020 7:39 PM

Because folks in the projects can't afford it, and it would be considered tacky anywhere else. Ain't ya gots a SPONGE?

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2012 12:56 AM

Um, cause I clean my stove every time I use it?

Oh, and by the way, the *best* grease cutting cleaning agent I've ever used is from the dollar store. It is called "LA Totally Awesome" and that shit cleans grease, stains, just about anything you put it on.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2012 1:01 AM

Couldn't you just coat the wall behind the stove with vaseline so nothing can stick to it?

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2012 1:11 AM

Why don't people use aluminum foil as a back splash?

Because it's fucking trashy. Like you. It's pure trash dear

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2012 1:17 AM

Because it keeps Consuela busy.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2012 1:42 AM

Because they need all of their foil to line their hats.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2012 2:53 AM

You don't have to use foil. I use saran wrap. It works like a charm and looks great. I get lots of compliments on it.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2012 2:53 AM

But Saran Wrap could ignite, and set fire to all of my paper pots and pans.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2012 2:58 AM

The tackiest and most ridiculous back splash I ever saw was mirror. Just high class foil.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2012 2:59 AM

I use accumulated grease as lube.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2012 3:02 AM

I worked in a specialty food store, we had a large stove (the commercial kind with 8 burners) and the back splash portion was covered in foil. Our cook was a wonderful but strict old German woman who had me take the foil down every week and reapply fresh foil. She insisted on gleaming cleanliness, she especially loved when I did it because I got very little creases in the foil.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2012 3:02 AM

R11, do you mean very few creases, or very tiny creases?

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2012 3:05 AM

Tiny creases, like the ones in your pursed puckered old school marm lips R12.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2012 3:51 AM

Okay, I'm laughing R13 but I had exactly the same reaction as R12.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2012 3:55 AM

Have you not seen the back splash in stainless steel? That's the way to do it if you cook a great deal. Having a stainless steel back splash is very practical. You can clean it easily and it looks integrated with your stainless steel stove.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2012 5:52 AM

Unless your stove is white.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2012 6:11 AM

I have a different but related question: why are all American stove/oven combinations free-standing?

In Europe, it's common in all but the lowest-end kitchens to have the stovetop set into the counter and the oven beneath the countertop, giving you a smooth and even working surface. It looks much more polished, too.

In America, even high-end kitchens with granite countertops and top-of-the line appliances have the stove shoved into a space between two cabinets, leaving lots of crevices for dirt and food residue to build up.

Why is this? Anyone have an idea?

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2012 7:01 AM

It is not tacky. It is practical.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2012 1:00 PM

R17 we like dirt

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2012 1:47 PM

With most of you guys cooking Thanksgiving Dinner, put foil on as a back splash to the stove.

You'll see how great it works.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2012 1:53 PM

-no one else

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2012 9:29 PM

R17 There are many configurations in the US. Free standing ranges are either low end or in the case of Viking high end. Slide in ranges are a step up and fit flush with the counter. The next upgrade is a cooktop with a separate single or double wall oven. Ceramic tile or granite is the default backsplash in average to higher end quality construction.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2012 4:42 AM

More people should use aluminum foil as a Butt Splash during anal. Much neater and cleaner

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2012 4:48 AM

Aluminum foil behind the stove is a smart idea.

For those of us who cook, it really cuts down on cleaning time.

In my dream kitchen, I would have a stainless steel back splash like many professional kitchens. I want to spend time cooking. Not cleaning up afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2012 4:52 AM

Why don't more people use those things to make toilet water blue?

Why don't more people keep leftovers in old CoolWhip tubs?

Why don't more people use wire coat hangers as TV antennas?

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2012 6:14 AM

Why don't people use those knit doll things to cover the extra roll of toilet paper in the guest bath?

Why don't people use those rubber daisy shaped adhesive stickers on the shower floor anymore?

Why don't they call it tinfoil anymore?

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2012 2:01 AM

I found a cost saving, easy set up and reusable multiple times backsplash... you can check at this website..

www.inouby.com

by Anonymousreply 27February 10, 2015 4:36 AM

R27 should see his physician for a check-up.

by Anonymousreply 28February 10, 2015 4:49 AM

I went to a nightclub in Atlanta that used aluminum foil as mirrors on the walls around the dance floor. It worked, along with the Christmas lights.

by Anonymousreply 29February 10, 2015 11:02 AM

What about those weird stoves where the oven door opens upward and the burners are in a drawer?

by Anonymousreply 30February 10, 2015 1:18 PM

It is NOT Tacky

by Anonymousreply 31April 8, 2020 3:24 PM

It is the trashy equivalent of having plastic slipcovers on furniture, plastic runners on the carpet, and covering the windows with foil.

by Anonymousreply 32April 8, 2020 3:30 PM

I've been lining my stove with foil for decades. I don't have time to clean the stove every fucking day. I change the foil every week, give the stove a light clean and it still looks new.

by Anonymousreply 33April 8, 2020 3:31 PM

And what the fuck would I then use for my HAT?

by Anonymousreply 34April 8, 2020 3:33 PM

Tempered Glass Splash-backs are really easy to keep clean. no dirty grout and impervious to grease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 8, 2020 3:57 PM

White-trash talk

by Anonymousreply 36April 8, 2020 4:11 PM

Wow. Just wash something.

by Anonymousreply 37April 8, 2020 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!