Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who were some of the lesbians from the classic days of Hollywood?

We always talk about the guys, what about the ladies? Name names, please.

by Anonymousreply 13606/08/2015

Merman was not lesbian but she had no problem outing Mary Martin and Jacky Susann who had a huge crush on her.

by Anonymousreply 1210/24/2012

Wasn't Esther Williams rumored to be gay as well?

I can't remember her name but that absolutely gorgeous Slovakian_American actress from the late 40's who looked a lot like Lauren Bacall had rumors around her as well.

by Anonymousreply 1410/24/2012

I'm pretty sure Simone Simon also lived with Lamarr and Massey but moved out.

by Anonymousreply 1610/24/2012

Mercedes de Acosta, Dorothy Arzner

by Anonymousreply 1710/24/2012

R14, I think you mean Lizabeth Scott. She was a mousy little thing with a lisp. The lisp may have helped with cunnilingus but no way was she the rival to Bacall like the movie studio had hoped.

And yeah, Dorothy Arzner did. Crawford bragged about Arzner's alleged crush on her.

The actress Una Munson, best known for playing Belle Watling in Gone With the Wind, preferred tending to the ladygarden as well...

by Anonymousreply 1910/24/2012

Imogene Coca?

by Anonymousreply 2110/25/2012

For the record, Ethel Merman and Mary Martin finally became good friends in the last years of their lives. Martin visited Merman in the hospital and at home during her final illness, and kept in constant with Merman's son Bob.

by Anonymousreply 2210/25/2012

Sorry to hijack the post but would someone please start a post for me about inheriting jewelry from my mom? I need a good dose of DL wisdom. *gulp*

by Anonymousreply 2310/25/2012

Created, R23.

by Anonymousreply 2510/25/2012

Jean Arthur

Kay Francis

Bebe Daniels

Anne Todd

Ruth Chatterton

Ina Claire

Jane Withers

by Anonymousreply 2610/25/2012

My favorite Hollywood lesbian is Lilyan Tashman. She died young and most of her movies aren't shown but if you can find GIRLS ABOUT TOWN, she's a hoot. And I guess she was quite open and predatory about her pursuits too.

by Anonymousreply 2810/25/2012

Does Liza count? She did after all debut in ITGOS with her mother.

by Anonymousreply 2910/25/2012

Can ANY of these claims be substantiated, except by rumor or innuendo? I know the facts about Garbo, Dietrich, Scott,Ann B. Davis, Nancy Kulp, Nina Mae McKinney, Hattie McDaniel, these women have been proven to be lesbian. The other names are just speculation and rumor with no basis in fact. We keep seeing the same names over and over which perpetuates the rumor until it is believed to be true but there is no research done or fact revealed. SO STOP IT!

by Anonymousreply 3010/25/2012

[quote]The lisp may have helped with cunnilingus

I can atthure you, it doth.

by Anonymousreply 3110/25/2012

Nice that about Lilyan, I had never heard about her.

by Anonymousreply 3210/25/2012

Judy Canova and Ann Sheridan had a thing. I think Ann was a Lesbian and Judy might have been BI.

by Anonymousreply 3310/25/2012

Lena Horne had a big crush on friend Ava Gardner, hung out with lezes Kay Thompson and Nancy Sinatra Sr (yes), was married to a gay man and in love with another (Billy Strayhorn)...It's possible she did not start same sex affairs till later, but most people believe she and Ava got it on more than once.

by Anonymousreply 3410/25/2012

Ann B. Davis is still alive. She must be 90 years old now.

by Anonymousreply 3510/25/2012

Edith Head

by Anonymousreply 3610/25/2012

Mercedes McCambridge

by Anonymousreply 3910/25/2012

Lennie Hayton, r38. She supported him financially until his death. He drank himself to death in her Palm Springs house, while she lived in NYC and sometimes in another Calif house.

by Anonymousreply 4010/25/2012

Never heard Lennie Hayton was gay.

by Anonymousreply 4110/25/2012

Janet Gaynor, who had a lavender marriage with Adrian.

by Anonymousreply 4210/25/2012

The great character actress Mary Wickes was a lesbian; it was more or less confirmed after she died in the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 4610/25/2012

Kay Francis? Really?

by Anonymousreply 4710/25/2012

What's the proof on Lena and Ava?

by Anonymousreply 4810/25/2012

R49, that makes absolutely no sense. To be funny you have to make a little sense.

by Anonymousreply 5010/25/2012

Where's the PROOF??? The PROOF??? PROOF PROOF PROOF?????

by Anonymousreply 5210/25/2012

Isn't it true that that one of the reasons between the Crawford-Davis feud was because Joan hit on Bette, but Bette rebuffed her advances? Didn't Bette say something about it? Or did I totally make that up?

by Anonymousreply 5310/25/2012

Yes, that's in some ridculous book, r53. I don't believe it. It would have happened in the 1940s, they were at different studios, never socialized, etc.

BTW, did you know it was Joanie that cornered Lena Horne at a party in 1946 and told her she should apologize to L.B. Mayer to get off suspension? Wonder what else she said, like, why don't you come over to my place? (Lena wrote the L.B. Mayer part in her autobiography).

Re: Lena and Ava, that's been a rumor almost forever. Sinatra apparently believed it because he started hating Lena when he started going with Ava. Just like he began hating Artie Shaw after he got with Ava.

by Anonymousreply 5410/25/2012

"Joan Crawford was bisexual and apparently Marilyn was too."

If you're talking about Marilyn Monroe, then you're mistaken. There have been many, many biographies about Marilyn Monroe, many of them very well-researched and well-documented, and they reveal Marilyn to be a raging heterosexual. She was a man's woman. She may have had a semi-lesbian relationship with an acting coach she had named Natasha Lytess. Lytess was definitely in love with her. But if there was anything like that between them it didn't mean anything to Marilyn; she never sought sex with other women. That's a fact.

Of course, there's the completely unsubstantiated tale that Marilyn had a one night stand with Joan Crawford and that her pussy-eating was so spectacular that Joan screamed in ecstacy and wanted more, more, more. But one night was enough, and Marilyn never ate Joan's pussy again, which caused Joan to hate her ever after. Actually Joan Crawford couldn't stand Monroe, much less have had sex with her. She was jealous as hell of Marilyn, who was young and gorgeous and lusted after by all men (Joan was middle-aged by then). Joan ever went so far as to denounce Marilyn publicly when Marilyn showed up at an awards show in a gown that left little to the imagination. Joan may have had some lesbo affairs but I doubt she had one with Marilyn Monroe.

Some "actor" named Ted Jordan put out a book claiming that he and young Marilyn had a hot affair and remained friends until her death. He says that Marilyn was a nympho who couldn't get enough of cock OR pussy. Why should anybody believe him? I sure don't.

I recall a blurb about some recent book, written by a woman, that put forth the notion that Marilyn Monroe, despite her endless affairs with men, was in fact a lesbian. The book must have came and went pretty fast, because I never heard of it again after that.

by Anonymousreply 5510/25/2012

Richard Burton once stated, "all actors are bisexual"

by Anonymousreply 5610/25/2012

Then there's the rumor that what finally ended Ava's marriage to Sinatra was him coming home to find her in bed - with LANA TURNER.

And of course Lana's daughter Cheryl Crane (the murderess) is an out lesbian....

by Anonymousreply 5710/25/2012

Barbara Stanwyck pinged into outer space.

by Anonymousreply 5910/25/2012

Going way back, the beautiful Maude Adams. A very beautiful actress, that insisted on living her life her way. The movie Somewhere In Time was said to be based on her. Not in the romance department but her background, personalilty and career.

Datalounge should know all about her. She was a brave woman for her time.

by Anonymousreply 6010/25/2012

I was somewhat concerned that this thread wasn't going to take off. More lesbian stories please.

by Anonymousreply 6110/25/2012

R60 can you tell us more about Maude?

The Wiki wasn't detailed...and how did you get to know about her?

by Anonymousreply 6210/25/2012

Maude Adams

[quote] She died, aged 80, at her summer home, Caddam Hill, in Tannersville, New York, and is interred in the cemetery of the Sisters of the Cenacle, Lake Ronkonkoma, New York.

I've been to the Cenacle. My mother used to buy prayer cards there for dead people. I'd heard it was donated to the nuns by "a famous actress in silent movies," but didn't know her name.

Over the years a working class suburb has grown all around the once woodsy rural area. It's funny because you are driving in this typical Lawn Guyland working class suburb of split levels on small lots and all of a sudden you turn onto grounds with this huge old mansion. It's a startling contrast.

by Anonymousreply 6310/25/2012

About Maud Adams. I came across a picture of her, googled her, and found her fascinating. I also like reading about that time in history.I know there's a book about her, always said I was going to find it. Have not yet. But she was a very interesting and talented actress.

Peter Pan was her biggest role. Most of her plays were written by James Barrie. But at one point of time, she was the best known actress in America. Other cast and crew described her as very kind and considerate to all. But at the height of it all, she was very solitary. Her agent was that famous guy that went down with the Lusitania. (So famous I can't remember his name!) But the agent in Somewhere In Time is based on him.

Here's a link to one piece that discusses her possible sexuality. I think she sought solace with religion but eventually lived what she was. She was buried with her long time companion.

You Tube has a nice tribute to her. She was beautiful, timeless. As Peter Pan she was also very believable.

by Anonymousreply 6410/25/2012

That certainly puts a spin on her role as 'Octopussy'! Didn't realize she'd died. Bruce Dern claimed their sex scenes weren't simulated for the film 'Tatoo'.

by Anonymousreply 6510/25/2012

What I heard about Maude Adams was that she was a fabulously wealthy silent movie actress who would like to have become a nun but could not bring herself to convert to Catholicism. She liked Catholic retreats, but didn't like the trappings of catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 6610/25/2012

One of my professors acted for Maude Adams when she was on the faculty at Stephens College. He said because Stephens College was a women's college, local young men were invited to play the roles. I bet he had no idea he was working with a legend!

by Anonymousreply 6710/25/2012

[quote]Where's the PROOF??? The PROOF??? PROOF PROOF PROOF?????

The proof is in the bread pudding.

by Anonymousreply 6810/25/2012

Wow R64... Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7010/26/2012

And of course another lavender marriage - Lunt and Fontanne.

by Anonymousreply 7110/26/2012

Merman when asked if she had sex with women: "Please! I can't stand to even look at my OWN in the bathtub!"

by Anonymousreply 7210/26/2012

"f you're talking about Marilyn Monroe, then you're mistaken."

Is this insecurity or stubbornness? Cool down. What you don't want to understand is that women who are extremely sexual, especially in Hollywood, usually have bisexual experiences -- it's the norm. If Marilyn didn't have numerous bisexual experiences it would be unusual; no biographer would be able to name each partner because they were probably one time/casual partners.

That being said, I don't believe Marilyn ever got with Joan Crawford. I also believe that Marilyn was mentally ill, and know she was abused as a child and acted out sexually.

There's no reason to go into a tizzy because someone "accused" dearest Marilyn of bisexuality. Really, on a gay msg board, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 7310/26/2012

Why was Lizabeth Scott outed? Does anyone know? It seems those kind of things are political more than anything else, like when Tab Hunter was outed to protect Rock Hudson.

Was she 'traded in' for a larger name? OR did she piss someone off?

by Anonymousreply 7410/26/2012

Ona Munson (who played Belle Watling in "Gone With the Wind") was bisexual, and had affairs with Alla Nazimova and Mercedes D'Acosta (the greatest lesbian starfucker evah!).

by Anonymousreply 7510/26/2012

Liza's interview from The Advocate, 1996. You can find it on Google Books.

by Anonymousreply 7710/26/2012

Lesbian Liza was very clever talking about her sexuality as if it was adolescent folly.

by Anonymousreply 7810/26/2012

R78 Plus, it's quite interesting that she finds straight men who enjoy watching two women together 'rather homosexual', but she doesn't apply the same rule to herself.

by Anonymousreply 8010/26/2012

Maude Adams (1872–1953).

Maud Adams (born 1945), the Bond girl, is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 8110/26/2012

Dorothy Arzner was Hollywood's first, and to this day one of its only, female directors. She began as a film editor at MGM in the 1920s and earned a lot of accolades for the quality of her work. She all but demanded to direct films, and because she was such a top-notch editor LB Mayer gave her the go-ahead to do it, and she had an acclaimed and successful directorial career throughout the late 20s and 30s. Arzner retired from directing in the early 40s for unknown reasons. She later taught film at UCLA. Dorothy and Joan Crawford were close friends for decades. Crawford was totally pro-gay in an era when that was unheard of and had lots of gay and lesbian friends throughout her life. Here's Dorothy and Joan in the 30s. As you can see, Dorothy was quite the handsome butch gal.

by Anonymousreply 8310/26/2012

More Dorothy and Joan.

by Anonymousreply 8410/26/2012

Alla Nazimova gave Dorothy Arzner her first job in Hollywood as a "script girl" on her movie "Stronger than Death";)

by Anonymousreply 8510/26/2012

r82, Amazon reviewers still think Rock Hudson was mostly straight. Amazon reviewers think Cary Grant was only "confused" when he acted out sexuality with Randolph Scott. Amazon reviewers are offended that ANY favorite star alive or dead could be "accused" of homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 8610/26/2012

At R64's link--

[quote]on Maude Adams: “She was a lesbian, a well known fact in acting circles, but well concealed as was the way in those days. Allegedly preferring women younger than she, Adams had a brief affair with actress Spring Byington , another more meaningful relationship with actress Katharine Cornell and a reportedly passionate yet brief affair with actress Eva Le Gallienne. Two of her most noted lovers was poet and writer Mercedes de Acosta, and actress Alla Nazimova.”

This is a very interesting thread, thanks everyone.

by Anonymousreply 8710/26/2012

"Amazon reviewers still think Rock Hudson was mostly straight. Amazon reviewers think Cary Grant was only "confused" when he acted out sexuality with Randolph Scott. Amazon reviewers are offended that ANY favorite star alive or dead could be "accused" of homosexuality.

Some of them do. But a lot of them are intelligent enough to know that a lot of biographers are full of shit, especially when it comes to the sexuality of dead celebrities. Proclaiming a celebrity gay sells books, even if there's no real evidence to support that assumption.

by Anonymousreply 8810/26/2012

R88, Mann's book didn't sell. Outing Hepburn is not what his book's about -- it's a biography, and it discusses what had to be discussed, although you didn't like that much. "Real evidence" would mean Hepburn herself or someone that slept with her would say she was gay, and that's not going to happen with old stars, dead or alive.

by Anonymousreply 8910/26/2012

Was Mercedes McCambridge gay? She is dead, isn't she?

by Anonymousreply 9110/26/2012

Dietrich and Garbo never even met one another, never mind dined at the Y together.

Dietrich told her daughter EVERYTHING, and Maria Riva has gone on record that Dietrich and Garbo never met. There are also other sources for that as well.

by Anonymousreply 9210/26/2012

True, r92. Hear that charlie know-it-all? Btw, one can be a "voracious man lover" and still have the occasional affair with the same sex.

by Anonymousreply 9310/26/2012

Weren't there some tapes that supposedly featured Marilyn talking about hooking up with Joan Crawford, R94?

The other people on this thread working overtime to shut down any speculation about anything remotely gay are boring and can gtfo.

by Anonymousreply 9510/26/2012

"Not everyone is gay or bi.

Oh really? They are at the DL.

"I doubt that Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor or Ingrid Bergman or Vivien Leigh or Jean Harlow or Grace Kelly or Bette Davis ever had the urge to "have the occasional affair with the same sex."

That's your opinion, you know nothing, you're just guessing. Guess away, so will I. Viven Leigh, being bi-polar, yes. Monroe, yes. I would doubt Taylor, Davis, Kelly. That's my opinion.

"They were all heterosexual women...and there's nothing in their lives that would indicate they ever sought out lesbo sex."

A man would never understand how many heterosexual women love a little, as you derisively call it, "lesbo sex," now and then.

This thread is full of scared homosexuals who are afraid of their favorite female stars getting a little female action on the side. These are the same gays that defend George Clooney as gay or bi because of rumors they swear they've heard. There are dead male celebs they say the same thing about where there is no proof, just speculation. Double standard much?

by Anonymousreply 9610/27/2012

"Weren't there some tapes that supposedly featured Marilyn talking about hooking up with Joan Crawford"

There was an old guy named John Miner who claimed that Marilyn's last psychiatrist let him listen to tapes of her psychiatric sessions with him. He said he took notes. There's no proof any such tapes existed; his story cannot be verified in any way. You just have to take it on "faith." The Marilyn revealed by these "tapes" is a caricature of a slutty, brainless bimbo. She sounds like a man's idea of what Marilyn Monroe would sound like during a psychiatric session. The whole Joan Crawford/Marilyn Monroe sex scene derives from these "tapes." Miner also has Marilyn speaking about her friendship (not sexual) with Mae West. There's just one problem with that: Mae West and Marilyn Monroe never met. The tapes were obviously bogus, an old man's attempt to achieve money and immortality by claiming to unearth deep, dark secrets about the spectacular, iconic Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 9710/27/2012

I speak from experience, hon. Or should I say, frightened gay. You don't know anything about women, darling.

by Anonymousreply 9910/27/2012

Using anecdotal evidence to make generalizations about an entire sex is incredibly ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 10010/27/2012

Despite what Mama told Maria, the idea that Dietrich and Garbo never met is patently absurd.

Not only did they travel in the same circles in 30s Hollywood - Mercedes de Acosta and Salka Viertel's homes, not to mention The Garden of Allah (Nazimova), but as a young girl Dietrich was an extra in several silent films Garbo made in Berlin in the 1920s before both came to America.

by Anonymousreply 10110/27/2012

Not me, buster. Pussy never interested me--'cept mine when Bogie or Cooper were bangin' away at it--and always taking too long.

by Anonymousreply 10210/27/2012

There is a new interesting book about the old timey lesbians. A good review here from Terry Castle

by Anonymousreply 10310/30/2012

An interesting review of an interesting book, R103. I subscribe to the print edition of the London Review of Books, but I'm glad you posted this.

by Anonymousreply 10510/30/2012

R104 -- you prove my point.

by Anonymousreply 10610/30/2012

A lot of straight women I know do not like gay men!!

by Anonymousreply 10710/30/2012

r26, Bebe Daniels and Ruth Chatterton? First I've read... One thing is for sure, the sexuality of most of the women mentioned here was up in the air, like Kay Francis. We will never really know because they didn't know themselves. It was the time period dahlings.

by Anonymousreply 10810/30/2012

Garbo was gay? Wha??

I don't blame Lena Horne for being in love with Billy Strayhorn (if it's true), I would be too. Lush life.

by Anonymousreply 10910/30/2012

My impression of Garbo from everything I’ve read is that she went with whoever could do her the most good at the time, whether that be Maurice Stiller, Salka Viertel, Mercedes de Acosta, Cecil Beaton, George Schlee, Cecile de Rothschild, Sam Green, etc. She may have thrown any or all the occasional pity fuck to keep them beholden to her.

by Anonymousreply 11010/31/2012

[quote] Garbo was gay? Wha?? [quote]

Well, she DID suck my cock, dahling!

by Anonymousreply 11110/31/2012

R110, Cecil Beaton??? You really believe that? Its one of the biggest laughs of the past 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 11211/01/2012

Bette Davis was a homophobic. I wonder why... I guess she was afraid of her own lesbian tendencies and she tried to push them away by using sarcasm and other mind tricks...

by Anonymousreply 11308/11/2013

I met Bette Davis. She definitely spoke her mind.

by Anonymousreply 11408/11/2013

Bette had such an interesting personality and she is certainly one of my favourite actresses. I love so many of her movies! What a pity she was homophobic. I understand her fears though. On the other hand, fortunately, she was not only homophobic. She could be grand and she was not always a bitch. Hehehehe!

by Anonymousreply 11508/11/2013

Beverly Roberts and Wynne Gibson were a couple.

Also that actress who did a few movies with James Cagney...Margaret something????

by Anonymousreply 11608/11/2013

Margaret Lindsay. I know, I know, all these people are obscure.

by Anonymousreply 11708/11/2013

R103 ... that was an excellent article. It was long, but worth reading. I think there is a movie script to the story of those women's lives.

by Anonymousreply 11808/11/2013

Vivien Leigh was a nymphomaniac so who knows what she was doing and with whom

by Anonymousreply 11908/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 12008/17/2013

Bette Davis was a drunk, that's why she was homophobic, or pretended to be.

by Anonymousreply 12108/17/2013

Ginger Rogers of course!

by Anonymousreply 12208/18/2013

How come most of these posts are from anonymous? Are people simply passing on gossip and reluctant to back it up? If you're not proud enough of your words to take credit for them, why publish?

by Anonymousreply 12310/02/2013

R15, wow...could that be really true? They would have made a very beautiful couple! Hedy Lamarr and Ilona Massey were both very beautiful and feminine. I approve of them as a couple all the way! Ha!

I think that Ava had strong lesbian tendencies. She was trying to prove her femininity by sleeping with a lot of men, but the fact remains the same:she always pinged to me! I'm sure that she had a crush on Lana Turner. I'm the only one that thinks so?

by Anonymousreply 12410/24/2013

Any gossip about Ilona Massey? Any kind of gossip, it doesn't have to be exclusively about sex...

by Anonymousreply 12510/24/2013

Hope Emerson. Watch the classic dyke film "Caged", 1950. She's the towering, corrupt, sadistic prison matron. The movie is magnificent with many "hidden" references. Miss Emerson was a wonderful actress and known to be very kind and well liked. She was Oscar nominated for her role.

by Anonymousreply 12610/24/2013

R124 Hedy and Ilona were not a couple. The studio arranged them to live together so that they could learn English together.

by Anonymousreply 12711/15/2013

In his biog, RJ Wagner says Stanwyk knew her way around the boudoir like no other broad he'd ever been with, and obviously he wasn't talking about lesbian lovemaking techniques. He makes it clear she was an expert. So is there any proof she could also please a woman? Or is the talk of her being a lesbian no more than gossip?

by Anonymousreply 12804/20/2014

"So is there any proof she could also please a woman?"

Really dumb question, R128

by Anonymousreply 12904/20/2014

Ida Lupino always came across as a lesbyterian to me. Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 13004/20/2014

according to the exhaustive, researched bio of Mary Wickes that came out last year, she was NOT a Lesbian, just reserved prim and proper and from a Victorian era family--kind of a no sex please background

by Anonymousreply 13104/20/2014

129: Wagner made it clear she was well acquainted with the things heterosexuals do in bed, so that's a statement of some substance as they were together four years. Has there ever been a similar voice of experience that said she had experience in what lesbians do in bed? What's dumb about wanting some facts rather than the tired old rumours that are endlessly regurgitated? Perhaps you're satisfied with unfounded speculation. If so, I think dumb just met dumber.

by Anonymousreply 13204/21/2014

R101 may no longer be around, but I've read that book by McLellan and studied the images of the stills from that movie made in Berlin (The Joyless Sreet), and in no way is the woman whom she claims is Dietrich actually Dietrich. I think McLellan even tries to base her argument on claims that Dietrich had a funny hand and this can be seen in The Joyless Street!

The absurdity of McLellan's claims only strengthen the idea that Dietrich and Garbo never met, at least in 1920s Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 13304/21/2014

Stanwyck was not a lesbian or even bi. She was from Brooklyn and had a very tough life, including being orphaned, raped as a teen and having an abortion that left her unable to bear children. It made her kind of hard and unemotional, which are masculine traits, so people like to think that she was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 13404/21/2014

About Marilyn and Stanwyck. Deets?

by Anonymousreply 13506/08/2015

R130, I read that Lupino struggled with bipolar disorder and alcoholism, but she had three husbands pretty much in succession and a production company with one of them. She broke through the glass ceiling as a director/producer in a man's profession, but no rumors of lesbianism that I could find.

by Anonymousreply 13606/08/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!