Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Anyone else seen it?

I hadn't read the book but thought the film was excellent. Like a less tragic "Ordinary People". Ezra Miller was amazing. There were a few characters that I wish had been explored further but it was refreshing to see a film about teens that isn't as ridiculously condescending or obvious as some trash out there.

by Anonymousreply 183October 9, 2019 6:31 AM

I thought the storyline about Ezra and the football player was shortchanged -- problem was, most of it happens out of Charlie's point of view so all they could really do was talk about it. Plus to be shallow, the football player should have been hotter.

On the other hand Logan Lerman was probably way too cute to play Charlie but we'll let that slide. He sold it with his performance,

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2012 6:14 PM

Ezra was amazing. and I was surprise to like Emily Watson.

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2012 6:19 PM

I was amused that the football player was the same guy who was the 'nerdy' boyfriend in Jennifer's Body. The brief exchange where he thanks Charlie for stopping the other guys was brilliant.

Lerman's cuteness didn't bother me. Awkwardness can stem from purely personality. Many social outcasts are still quite good looking.

I would have liked to have heard a bit more about Charlie's best friend though.

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2012 6:30 PM

For more gay kid and athlete relations, Get Real is a nice film with similar themes. The lead even looks like Logan Lerman and the athlete is super hot. And it's the main story.

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2012 9:46 PM

I would have preferred much less voiceover narration - there was way too much of it, but since the writer/director wrote the original novel, it's no surprise.

Miller was excellent, and Lerman managed to make a largely passive role engaging, which is no mean feat. Watson did far better than I expected - her acting in the Harry Potter series was variable (she was best in the first two and last two films), but she was disarmingly good here.

Speaking of Potter alumns, has Rupert Grint done much of anything lately?

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2012 10:17 PM

You mean other than buy a hovercraft and ice cream truck?

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2012 10:25 PM

R2 - it's Emma Watson.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2012 1:24 AM

I saw this last night and thought it the best film I've seen this year! Having graduated high school in the mid-90's it was a great perspective on youth, the 90's and friendships.

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2012 7:38 PM

It's good, but not great. Ezra Miller steals the show. Lerman is quite good, but his looks don't appeal to me. Those guys that look like Embryos have never done it for me, so I had no problem seeing him as a dork. Watson's acting was fine, but her accent was all over the place. I did find the film predictable-I guessed the big revelation in advance-and the movie seems too 80's for something that's supposed to take place in the early 90's. Most of the music seems 5 to 10 years old for that time, the clothes and hair are not accurate. It doesn't "feel" like that time and place. Many of the actors look as they do now.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2012 10:23 PM

I enjoyed this one, it is a good coming of age movie.

I agree to agree with everyone else that Ezra Miller completely steals the show. I've heard rumors about his drug use but hope he manages to not become an addict because the kid has amazing talent (if you haven't seen We Need to Talk About Kevin ya should).

I've heard good things about Emma Watson but I was unfortunately not impressed. I didn't buy her as the tortured soul with a history of sexual abuse and destructive behavior. She was okay in a role that the right actress could have shined in.

Logan Lerman sold me on his emotionally shut off outcast learning to live.

I actually thought it worked well that Ezra's plot with the football player was told from an outside perspective. Allowed the drama to exist without turning the movie into a afterschool special as the character joked his life was. Just lack the vagueness of details of the main kids past. These characters are damaged and have baggage but it isn't about focusing on the damage it is about their lives.

Anyway, combined with Ezra Miller's talk of his gay experiences and that he doesn't consider himself straight he has become an actor I have to see a movie if he is it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2012 3:22 AM

Great movie, Emma Watson was brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2012 3:48 AM

I loved every minute of this movie. It made me so damn happy.

My one note was this: I graduated in 1995, so I should be just about Charlie's age. The music was off by five years. Sure, the Smiths were big, but Nirvana would have been what all these kids, ESPECIALLY, these kids would be listening to. Cobain became a legend because of kids like Charlie, Sam, and Patrick. And no way no how would two "alternative" seniors NOT know Heroes by Bowie. Bowie was a god to us.

Other than that, again, I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2012 3:54 AM

LOVED this movie. Thought the performances were great.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2012 3:59 AM

I agree. Emma was good in a role someone else would have been great in. But I'm sure her name helped secure financing. Welcome to showBUSINESS.

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2012 4:08 AM

Well, Sam made Charlie listen to Air Supply, so maybe being hip to Nirvana was not their scene.

This is the best high school movie since ELECTION. And the commentary on the DVD is great.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2013 9:55 PM

[quote]Well, Sam made Charlie listen to Air Supply, so maybe being hip to Nirvana was not their scene.

It took them months to figure what "the tunnel song" was, so no, these kids weren't that musically hip. That being stated, I loved the movie, loved the performances--even Logan Lerman's, who always came off as stiff and self-conscious in his previous performances.

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2013 10:05 PM

What are you talking about? It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2013 10:07 PM

R15, I don't know how old you are, but I was the characters' age in 1990/1991, when the film takes place. The "indie" kids at that time would only be listening to Air Supply ironically or for retro reasons. I was music obsessed (just like Sam and Patrick) and from a similar suburb. It's minor - I agree that Perks is one of the best coming of age films in decades - but it really bothered me. It would have been one thing if they didn't make the music du jour so important to the characters, but they did. And then they picked the wrong music! And then picked a "secret song" that was an institution to young hipsters of the very early 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2013 10:09 PM

Brilliant film - much better than Silver Linings Playbook, though I loved that one, too

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2013 10:11 PM

I couldn't quite place the time period. I thought it was 1980s

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2013 10:18 PM

Still haven't seen the movie-it is next in my Netflix but I LOVED the book-it has been compared to Catcher in the Rye, but I related to Charlie much more than I ever did Holden.

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2013 10:20 PM

Good movie. I also have to say that the book is probably the first coming-of-age novel compared to "Catcher in the Rye" that actually deserved to be.

Emma Watson and Ezra Miller were both terrific.

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2013 10:21 PM

Well, their example of good music is Come On Eileen. Maybe they were stuck in the 80's.

Logan Lerman was great. He was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2013 10:48 PM

Logan Lerman's understated portrayal of Charlie was a revalation. A lesser actor could not have carried the film the way he did. Ezra Miller was also amazing. Emma Watson was decent, but I expected more. Perks Of Being a Wallflower deserved a nomination for Best Picture but as usual, critically acclaimed films that don't do well at the box are overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2013 1:58 AM

[quote]On the other hand Logan Lerman was probably way too cute to play Charlie but we'll let that slide. He sold it with his performance,

I thought Logan was too good looking to be an outsider, but he gave a great quiet performance. Emily Watson gave a stunning performance, IMHO.

Loved the "misfit toys" quote.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2013 2:11 AM

[quote]I agree to agree with everyone else that Ezra Miller completely steals the show. I've heard rumors about his drug use but hope he manages to not become an addict because the kid has amazing talent (if you haven't seen We Need to Talk About Kevin ya should).

That explains why he comes off strange in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2013 2:14 AM

Horrid title.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2013 2:21 AM

[quote]Horrible title.

But, that's what the story is about.

by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2013 2:27 AM

We're forgetting that it's Charlie's past that makes him a wallflower, not his looks. He had to deal with the what happened to his friend, what happened to his aunt, what happened to him, and ontop of that, deal with high school. Tough stuff.

I love the scene at the football game where he gets the courage to talk to Patrick. But I do wonder if he would have stayed friends with Patrick if he wasn't so in love with Sam.

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2013 3:55 AM

I loved, loved, LOVED this movie. I can't believe it didn't get nominated for Best Picture in a year with nine contenders. I've seen most of the other nominated films, and none of them conjured in me the emotional response I had to this movie.

Just a lovely, lovely movie.

by Anonymousreply 30February 21, 2013 4:04 AM

It was a cloying piece of shit. I thought I was watching an After School Special put on by some community access channel.

by Anonymousreply 31February 21, 2013 4:36 AM

I really enjoyed it. But I was a teenager where and when this took place, so it was very familiar to me.

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2013 4:44 AM

I did notice one continuity problem. Charlie is seen reading To Kill a Mockingbird in the cafeteria all by himself on the first day of school. Then they go to the last class of the day where they handing out copies of? To Kill a Mockingbird.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2013 12:57 PM

I quite liked it. The film struck a nice balance of tone that fit with Charlie's opening narration - never too maudlin nor too flippant (the ruts that derail most teen stories.) The performances were all good, but I was most struck with Logan Logan's lead which could easily have gotten lost at the hands of many actors.

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2013 1:24 PM

To me it felt kind of quiet and muted. I, too, struggled to figure out in what time period this was supposed to take place where David Bowie isn't known.

I liked the scene best where Logan Lerman is high for the first time having this goofy grin on his face while sitting on that carpet.

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2013 1:35 PM

Being in high school in the 90's myself, I connected with this movie. I really loved it.

I'd never heard of Ezra Miller before seeing this. But I thought his performance was simply amazing. Like others have said, he stole the show. Plus he was nice to look at. lol But I thought the entire cast did a great job as well.

I haven't read the book, but I'd like to just to see how it compares to the movie.

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2013 1:52 PM

[quote]I haven't read the book, but I'd like to just to see how it compares to the movie.

It follows it pretty closely. There's more shown in his relationship with the teacher played by Paul Rudd, and the sister's role in the narrative, played by Vampire Diaries Nina Dobrev is quite a bit bigger. I think the biggest change is the we see a lot more of Charlie's relationship with his Aunt Helen, which makes revelation that she'd been molesting him come as more of a shock, at least to me.

The more I think about the movie, the more I'm reminded of "Almost Famous" although I think Emma Watson does it better than Kate Hudson in a similar type of role.

by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2013 2:00 PM

I thought the movie was terrible. I rented it from Netflix because it had such high user ratings (still scratching my head at that one). It was obviously targeted towards self-loating, depressed teenagers who want to feel like they're "deep." I gave it two stars.

by Anonymousreply 38February 21, 2013 2:09 PM

Some of those parts from the book that you mentioned r37, are deleted scenes on the extras. Someone had said that the book was a bit darker than the movie. That the movie was a bit more light-hearted. Is that true?

I saw an interview with the director and Ezra and they discussed how the kids in the book are chain smokers and yet they didn't want to show them smoking in the movie in fear of influencing kids to smoke. Yet they show drug use the movie. Kind of ironic. lol

by Anonymousreply 39February 21, 2013 2:37 PM

Saw it this weekend (thanks RedBox) along with End of Watch with Jake G. (awesome) which was quite the double bill. I found moments in this movie quite touching and real. Othertimes I was aware that they were following a blueprint for teen movies. My 16 year old nephew decided it was the best movie ever so I guess on that level it was a success. I was completely thrown however trying to determine what the time period was as the music was all over the place and they all looked contemporary. Heroes was used to great effect but for them not to know who sang it made no sense. I also agree that C'Mon Eileen being "their jam" was rather out of character. Other than those quibbles it was a good way to pass the time during another weekend stahm.

by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2013 3:23 PM

Well, Patrick should have known, being the queen that she is, but remember, there was no google or itunes at that time. If you only hear a song once on the radio (and I'm sure it wasn't played all the time), they wouldn't have been able to find it that readily.

However, I wondered if the tunnel song was another song, and they couldn't get the rights and went with HEROES. Or if HEROES was always the song and they didn't know if they could get the rights.

And if you watch the deleted scenes, Kate Walsh's part was severely cut. She says maybe 3 lines now.

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2013 3:39 PM

It was fine, but needed some whittling down. It's not what people here are making it. Ezra Miller is okay, not brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 42February 21, 2013 3:52 PM

Steven Chbosky graduated HS in 1988. Are the movie and/or book supposed to take place after that? I don't remember.

Does anyone know whether the copy of the "Something" 45 Charlie gave Sam the same exact copy that was in his aunt's car when she was in the wreck that killed her?

Here's a list of music that was in the book:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2013 3:53 PM

I liked that the time period was glossed over and left unspecific. Like memory, it had enough detail to be of a broad time period, but not so much as to be too obsessed with details.

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2013 4:01 PM

I loved this damn movie. Cryed like a baby many times...I agree with the above poster: Best high school movie since Election.

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2013 4:32 PM

You people are nuts. So easily impressed.

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2013 4:34 PM

R44 "Obsessed with details" is one of the finest qualities a book or movie can offer.

by Anonymousreply 47February 21, 2013 4:55 PM

R47: Very true, but sometimes the effort is misplaced. When historical details can't be done well, it's best to recognize the limitations.

Shall I list 100 anachronisms of 'The Age of Innocence'?

by Anonymousreply 48February 21, 2013 5:32 PM

[quote] It was obviously targeted towards self-loating, depressed teenagers who want to feel like they're "deep." I gave it two stars.

You showed them, Mary Twostars!

by Anonymousreply 49February 21, 2013 5:54 PM

[quote]Steven Chbosky graduated HS in 1988. Are the movie and/or book supposed to take place after that? I don't remember.

I think the book takes place in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 50February 21, 2013 6:23 PM

I loved the scene where Emily Watson tells Charlie, "I love you, and I want the first girl to kiss you to love you"...then Emily kisses Charlie tenderly on the lips.

I cried like a baby during that scene. It was a lovely movie.

by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2013 6:37 PM

Gag me with a spoon.

by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2013 6:58 PM

[quote]I also agree that [Come On] Eileen being "their jam" was rather out of character.

I imagine that they liked this song as little kids so it became a touchstone for them.

by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2013 7:13 PM

R48 Yes, *do* go through 100 anachronisms in The Age of Innocence. Please.

by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2013 7:29 PM

Oh, R54, you jester.

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2013 8:21 PM

I hope it wins Best First Feature at the Spirit Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2013 11:48 PM

It did win!!!!

Congrats to PERKS!

by Anonymousreply 57February 24, 2013 2:26 AM

I watched it tonight and really loved it, but it confused me as to the time period. I graduated in 1987 and it very much felt like the late 80s to me. The Rocky Horror show was big in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 58February 24, 2013 9:43 AM

Did anyone watch the Spirit Awards? Which cast members were there to accept the award? Was Ezra there?

by Anonymousreply 59February 24, 2013 1:00 PM

Stephen Chobsky accepted the award. I didn't see any of the cast there. He thanked Emma Watson for her help in getting the film made but didn't mention Logan or Ezra.

by Anonymousreply 60February 24, 2013 1:03 PM

Thanks, r60. I'm glad I didn't miss Ezra. lol

I was happy to hear that it won. It was a great movie and deserved the win.

by Anonymousreply 61February 24, 2013 2:10 PM

They lost me at not recognizing David Bowie's best song.

by Anonymousreply 62February 24, 2013 2:20 PM

I think the song was inserted after the filming was completed--possibly it wasn't known what song would be used. If I remember correctly the characters never actually named any of the songs that were playing.

by Anonymousreply 63February 24, 2013 2:23 PM

The song that gets the most mention is Asleep by The Smiths.

by Anonymousreply 64February 24, 2013 2:57 PM

I'm betting "Come On Eileen" was inserted because they couldn't afford something more period-appropriate. I'm sure it cost them a lot to include Rocky Horror, and that may have eaten up some of the money to license music.

by Anonymousreply 65February 24, 2013 4:20 PM

Glad it won BP...congrats!

by Anonymousreply 66February 24, 2013 4:30 PM

The ISAs should have given the kids a special award, like they did for the cast of "Mean Creek" a few years ago. Ezra would have given an acceptance speech almost as funny as Josh Peck's speech.

by Anonymousreply 67February 24, 2013 7:44 PM

In the audio commentary, the director says that when he was a kid, David Bowie was only known as the "Let's Dance" guy, and not anything else.

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2013 10:36 PM

[quote] He thanked Emma Watson for her help in getting the film made but didn't mention Logan or Ezra.

Emma was a producer?

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2013 12:43 AM

No, I think her being a attached to the film secured financing.

John Malkovich was a producer that I noticed in the credits.

by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2013 12:54 AM

The time was the mid to late 90s based on the cellphone.

I enjoyed it, and was pleasantly surprised by Emily.

by Anonymousreply 71March 8, 2013 12:39 AM

I thought Emily Watson rocked in this film, her best performance so far.

by Anonymousreply 72March 8, 2013 12:44 AM

Emma, I mean

by Anonymousreply 73March 8, 2013 12:57 AM

Ezra is nominated for an MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance for Perks. I already voted for him. :)

by Anonymousreply 74March 8, 2013 2:47 AM

I thought Ezra was one-note in WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN, a little better in that little seen movie with Ellen Barkin about (surprise), a troubled teen.

It's nice to see him in mostly a nice and normal role.

by Anonymousreply 75March 8, 2013 3:48 AM

He was nice and normal when he was on "Royal Pains." And he's pretty normal in "City Island" as Andy Garcia and Julianna Margulies's teen son.

by Anonymousreply 76March 8, 2013 4:57 AM

by Anonymousreply 77March 8, 2013 11:18 PM

[quote]I hope it wins Best First Feature at the Spirit Awards.

Which is great and ridiculous as that was it's only nomination. All three leads deserved nominations. Does anyone really consider "Silver Lining Playbook" an independent picture? I lost respect and interest in The Independent Spirit Awards back in 2006 when they ignored "Mysterious Skin" for Best Picture and Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance, and if that wasn't a independent picture, nothing is.

by Anonymousreply 78March 10, 2013 12:36 PM

Anyone else just discovered this film on home video?

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2013 3:22 AM

A great film. Wish more movies like this got made.

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2013 3:25 AM

Did they explain why the main character would get depressed and where he was when he wasn't in school?

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2013 3:34 AM

R81, he was depressed because his best friend killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2013 3:37 AM

And his aunt was a looney bird, too.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2013 11:16 AM

Logan Lerman looking cute at Kids Choice Award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2013 10:57 AM

What I liked about it was that, unlike in most teen movies, the main character wasn't dealing with comically inept/clueless parents and antagonistic older siblings. It was nice to see him as part of a larger, loving family who supported him and to actually have a teacher who respected him for his intelligence and eagerness to learn.

I thought Lerman was good in this. The last thing I saw him in was that awful Musketeers movie and he gave a terribly smug performance in that. Much better here.

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2013 3:44 PM

This was a nice little teen flick, a classic of the genre in the John Hughes mold. It's really built up a cult following.

Although none were really convincing as wallflowers - lead Logan Lerman would clearly be in the popular clique with girls all up in his shit - it had a lot of heart, like a better Donnie Darko which I found overrated.

Ezra Miller in particular took his role and ran with it. Logan Lerman was not as good as some are saying but surprisingly solid, I never thought he'd be able to act but is now in a Darren Aronofsky film. Emily Watson wasn't as good as she was in Breaking the Waves but did fine, lol.

The most impressive thing I thought was the music. It's so often handled awkwardly and shoehorned in in films like they're trying to draw attention to how cool their taste is, but here was natural and unobtrusive. The use of Smiths and Morrissey songs was genius and so well done, and they chose the 2 ultimate classics which seemed too intimate to pull off. Since this was a key element of the film, it was vital they got it right.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2013 4:16 PM

Speaking of Emily Watson, what's she up to these days?

by Anonymousreply 87March 29, 2013 4:19 PM

Emma Watson.

by Anonymousreply 88March 31, 2013 4:37 AM

Oh, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 89March 31, 2013 4:55 AM

Was Emma Watson even born when Breaking The Waves came out?

by Anonymousreply 90March 31, 2013 5:10 AM

Why does Hollywood keep trying to make Logan into an action star? He's just not big enough (in stature). He should be doing dramas and comedies not Percy Jackson 2.

by Anonymousreply 91March 31, 2013 11:35 AM

Logan should star in a sex tape, with Taylor Lautner and me.

by Anonymousreply 92March 31, 2013 12:01 PM

Does the book cover the friend who shot himself in more detail? I kept waiting for more details on him but they never came.

by Anonymousreply 93April 1, 2013 7:49 AM

This movie kind of made me want to be a teacher. (although I only want to teach sweet students like Lerman who like books)

by Anonymousreply 94April 1, 2013 9:34 AM

Watch the deleted scenes, r93. And poor Kate Walsh had so many great scenes that were cut.

by Anonymousreply 95April 1, 2013 11:10 AM

[quote]Watch the deleted scenes, [R93]. And poor Kate Walsh had so many great scenes that were cut.

How do I watch them? They weren't included in the disc I rented. They aren't included if you rent the film online either.

by Anonymousreply 96April 1, 2013 11:47 AM

the dvd is less than $10. And the digital version is also included.

by Anonymousreply 97April 2, 2013 2:20 AM

I kind of wanted Logan and Paul Rudd to have sex.

by Anonymousreply 98April 2, 2013 2:47 AM

I kind of want Logan and me to have sex.

by Anonymousreply 99April 2, 2013 2:50 AM

I totally wanted Logan and Paul Rudd to have sex. I thought they would be going there, but no.

by Anonymousreply 100April 2, 2013 2:52 AM

Charlie's aunt molested him, right? The friends I saw it with were actually arguing about that, but I thought the film spelled it out pretty clearly.

by Anonymousreply 101April 2, 2013 2:59 AM

Yes.

Now can anyone tell me if the copy of "Somewhere" he gave Sam was the same copy that was in his aunt's car when it crashed?

by Anonymousreply 102April 2, 2013 3:08 AM

"Something" by the Beatles. I thought it was the same copy.

by Anonymousreply 103April 2, 2013 3:13 AM

That's what I thought, too, R103. Thanks. I don't remember it from the book, which I read a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 104April 2, 2013 3:15 AM

r102----yes, although why he'd want to was I guess part of his self-blaming.

r101----I wouldn't say it was spelled out...they show her saying something like we won't tell your sister about this while looking down on him in bed....I could see how people could miss it especially since we aren't as used to females being predators.

by Anonymousreply 105April 2, 2013 3:19 AM

Her hand was rubbing his leg.

by Anonymousreply 106April 2, 2013 10:51 AM

I'd say it was fairly obvious. And that's what the doctor was telling his parents at the hospital when his mom looked so shocked.

by Anonymousreply 107April 2, 2013 1:08 PM

Why does Charlie wear a coat & tie EVERYWHERE? At a football game? Just hanging out with friends?

by Anonymousreply 108April 4, 2013 1:57 AM

The coat and tie were presents.

by Anonymousreply 109April 4, 2013 2:05 AM

He didn't wear them to the football game, but he did wear a different set at the dance. That's when Patrick decided to upgrade him. Very queer eye for the straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 110April 6, 2013 12:16 AM

Watched it today via Redbox. Loved it. Cried like a hungry, dirty baby.

It was vague to me when the film takes place. The cassette mix tapes dates it to the 80's to mid nineties. The clothes did not stand out as 80s or 90s to me. They were kind of generic. Same with the haircuts. I liked that about the film as it makes it more timeless. I wasn't so focused on nostalgia , but rather that period in every teenager's life.

Ezra was mesmerizing. I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2013 12:58 AM

It's definitively 90s. They just liked earlier music.

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2013 1:06 AM

Both Logan Lerman and Emma Watson have starred in a Chris Columbus film. Watson appeared in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Lerman appeared in Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief. Share this Was originally rated R by the MPAA for "teen drug and alcohol use, and some sexual references" but was later changed to PG-13 after an appeal for "mature thematic material, drug and alcohol use, sexual content including references, and a fight - all involving teens" Share this When Patrick holds up his report card, the name at the top says "Patrick Nothing", a reference to his nickname in the book and the film. Share this Stephen Chbosky knew he wanted to cast Emma Watson once he saw her in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and the scene when Ron breaks her heart and Harry consoles her. Chbosky said: "She broke my heart in that scene. She is crying and I just felt that she had all of the vulnerability that Sam needed." Share this The "Tunnel Song", which is "Heroes" by David Bowie, was covered for the Godzilla soundtrack by none other than The Wallflowers. Share this Emma Watson has admitted that she refuses to watch her kissing scenes or the Rocky Horror scene. Share this Unlike in the film, the name of Charlie's sister is never mentioned in the novel. Share this At the time of filming Ezra Miller was 17-years old, about the same age as his character. Logan Lerman was 18-years old, four years older than his character. In reality, Lerman is 9 months older than Miller who plays a character close to four years his senior. Emma Watson was 21-years old at the time of filming making her the oldest of the three main actors. Share this Although never explicitly stated in the film, Sam's full name is "Samantha Dutton" as shown on her SAT results. Share this The first names of every child in Charlie's family starts with a "c". Charlie, Candace (Charlie's sister), and Chris (Charlie's older brother). Share this The shop teacher, Mr. Callahan, is a Vietnam veteran. Tom Savini, who plays Mr. Callahan, was also in Vietnam (and later became a legendary special effects artist for horror movies). Share this In the director's commentary on the DVD and Blu-Ray, director Stephen Chbosky mentions that Dead Poet's Society and The Breakfast Club were two of his favorite films growing up and that they influenced him. Share this Stephen Chbosky wrote the book that the movie is based on, he also wrote the screenplay and directed the movie. It's rare that a book author actually ends up directing the movie. Share this The novel, "Perks of Being a Wallflower" was first published in 1999, but the action is set during the 1991-1992 school year. Share this The first major role post-Harry Potter for Emma Watson. Share this In Entertainment Weekly, Emma Watson reported that she took the role because director/writer/novelist Stephen Chbosky told her that "Not only is this going to be one of the most important parts you play, you're also going to have the summer of your life and meet some of your best friends." She also reported that the claim came true. Share this The cast, including Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller all lived in the same hotel in Pittsburgh while filming the movie. Lerman reportedly said, "We were kind of living in a dorm environment." Share this Writer/Director/Novelist Stephen Chbosky said that he imagined the story would become at the moment he thought of the title of the book. Share this Ezra Miller did his initial audition for the film over Skype and he was so charismatic in the interview that they cast him within 5 hours of the audition. Share this According to an interview with Writer/Director/Novelist Stephen Chbosky, "watching people like Emma, Logan, Ezra, and Mae who never had prom, never really had a proper graduation, because they were always working, and watching those kids get to have a high school experience that we all take for granted was very special." Share this Ezra Millerand Emma Watson both love dance and movement. So director Stephen Chbosky had them work with the choreographer to construct the homecoming dance. Share this During the scenes where the cast rides the back of the truck through the Fort Pitt Tunnel, the cast wore safety wires. Share this In the book, Patrick and Mary Elizabeth were chain smokers. That detail was removed in the film, likely to score a PG-13 rating. Share this In an interview with LAYouth.com, author Stephen Chbosky said that he wrote the book for personal reasons, but realized that many people related to it while reading the book's customer reviews on Amazon.com. Share this In an interview with Movieline, Ezra Miller said that he first saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show when his older sister showed it to him as a young kid. At the end of the movie, his sister turned the TV off and said, 'you can't tell mom and dad'. Share this In the book, the tunnel song was "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac, but in the movie it was "Heroes" by David Bowie. Writer/Director Stephen Chbosky, reportedly changed the song to something grander after seeing the footage of Emma Watson standing in the back of the truck. Share this Writer/Director/Novelist Stephen Chbosky is a native of Pittsburgh where the movie was filmed. When he was young, he watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show in the same theater where they filmed the scenes for The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Share this

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2013 2:23 AM

Why do you keep saying "share this," R113?

Learn to paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2013 2:27 AM

That sounds like someone cut and paste the info from imdb.com

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2013 3:43 AM

I want to turn Logan Lerman inside out.

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2013 12:21 PM

Lerman gave one of the best performances I've seen in a movie. Miller was good, too.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2013 1:08 PM

R116, it's hard t0 tell if y0u mean that in a g00d way 0r a bad.

by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2013 2:40 PM

Definitely good, R118. He's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2013 2:47 PM

Now I can't remember the end. Did it end well?

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2013 2:48 PM

I think Logan is adorable too, but miscast for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2013 2:49 PM

Why so, R121? I thought he played outcast really well. When you have psychological problems, it doesn't matter how good looking you are, other kids are going to treat you like you're not normal. I just thought he did really well.

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2013 2:52 PM

R122, we can agree to disagree slightly. I liked the film adaptation, but I thought Logan was the weak link. I didn't get the outcast vibe from him like I wanted to, and I don't think it was just his looks. But I did like the movie.

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2013 2:57 PM

That's interesting, R123, because I thought Lerman was the strongest link in the movie. Well, both Lerman and Miller.

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2013 3:00 PM

I just read the book and in it Brad and Patrick spend a LOT of time time together. There's no way their relationship could be a secret at school. They hang out way too much not to be spotted out of school. And wouldn't Brad's friends wonder why he isn't hanging out with them? And someone in the Wallflower group would have blabbed.

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2013 5:55 PM

I think Watson and Miller outshone Lerman, just because they're characters allowed for more dynamic performances. Watson really portrayed a beautiful sadness that I really connected with.

by Anonymousreply 126April 7, 2013 6:54 PM

[quote]It was vague to me when the film takes place. The cassette mix tapes dates it to the 80's to mid nineties. The clothes did not stand out as 80s or 90s to me. They were kind of generic. Same with the haircuts. I liked that about the film as it makes it more timeless. I wasn't so focused on nostalgia , but rather that period in every teenager's life.

IKR I was confused about this, it jumped from The Smiths to grunge era with L7 Pretend We're Dead and Cracker's Low.

But I agree that the non-specific time made it more universal and less jarring, along with the brilliant natural way music was incorporated. It was no doubt a directorial choice, especially since the author and director are the same. I will have to get the book to see what is left out.

by Anonymousreply 127April 7, 2013 7:03 PM

[quote]I totally wanted Logan and Paul Rudd to have sex. I thought they would be going there, but no.

Ah yes, I think Rudd being in this sold it to me, I'd see any old crap with him in it. But this was far better than his usual output and although it was a tiny role it was another thing to like about the movie.

R99 how dare you leave Paul out, it must be a threesome. I couldn't choose. Logan is beautiful, like a hot version of Nicholas Hoult.

by Anonymousreply 128April 7, 2013 7:10 PM

R128 [italic]Nicholas Hoult[/italic] is the hot version of Nicholas Hoult.

by Anonymousreply 129April 7, 2013 7:59 PM

Nicholas Hoult is gorgeous.

Logan Lerman is cute.

by Anonymousreply 130April 7, 2013 8:08 PM

Nicholas Hoult was perfectly cast as a zombie. As a handsome boytoy? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 131April 21, 2013 10:36 AM

Logan Lerman continues to support the movie. Where's Ezra and Emma, huh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 23, 2013 10:51 AM

Erin Wilhelmi who played Alice is in a play off-Broadway at Ars Nova. She is a wisp of a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 4, 2013 11:41 AM

by Anonymousreply 134May 15, 2013 3:36 AM

It was a cloying piece of shit, just like the book.

by Anonymousreply 135May 15, 2013 3:40 AM

Boy Johnny Simmons looks different in the link at r133. (he was the gay football player.)

by Anonymousreply 136May 15, 2013 4:00 AM

Is this a stoner movie?

On my Blunts and Bongs Facebook page, an admin posted he was getting high and watching this movie. There were literally hundreds of replies saying they loved this movie.

It doesn't seem like a stoner flick but I did watch it stoned. But I watch most movies stoned.

by Anonymousreply 137May 15, 2013 4:05 AM

gay stoners probably like it.

by Anonymousreply 138May 15, 2013 4:19 AM

In some ways it is odd that Charlie isn't gay. I think his experience is kind of similar to gay boys. I love how the aggressive girl asks him out. I had that problem too. I was always being asked out by bossy controlling girls who probably were really lesbians. Luckily for me my mother believed it was wrong for women to pursue men and encouraged me to turn them down if I wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 139May 15, 2013 4:39 AM

Fair point, r139. I had similar things happen to me. If it's any consolation, I would bet that the actor who plays Charlie is gay.

I think Charlie as a character is relatively true to the heterosexual author's own life.

by Anonymousreply 140May 15, 2013 4:43 AM

Why only gay, R138?

by Anonymousreply 141May 16, 2013 12:53 AM

[quote]If it's any consolation, I would bet that the actor who plays Charlie is gay.

Oh yes.. there's a few threads here.

by Anonymousreply 142May 16, 2013 1:01 AM

But, with the new Percy Jackson opening soon, Logan is not going to come out anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 143May 16, 2013 10:49 AM

Bump for more Wallflower love.

by Anonymousreply 144June 13, 2013 11:18 AM

What is Ezra Miller working on?

by Anonymousreply 145June 13, 2013 10:31 PM

"What is Ezra Miller working on?"

On taking a long shower, the kid looks filthy.

by Anonymousreply 146June 13, 2013 10:37 PM

Gramma! Get off the Datalounge now!

by Anonymousreply 147June 13, 2013 10:39 PM

Finally saw this. I came to post what R85 said... I really liked how supportive his parents and siblings were. In fact, the adults in the movie were portrayed in a positive light (well, except for the aunt) and that usually doesn't happen in "teen" movies.

by Anonymousreply 148July 8, 2013 5:17 AM

According to his imdb page he didn't film anything after "Perks". He is going to be in the Madame Bovary movie that is about to film and isn't coming out til next year.

He must have had tons of offers. I can only assume he is trying to be really picky about the roles he takes.

by Anonymousreply 149July 8, 2013 5:25 AM

Just who did Logan let fuck him to get all those roles?

by Anonymousreply 150July 8, 2013 5:40 AM

Who the fuck is Carter Jenkins?

by Anonymousreply 151July 10, 2013 9:38 AM

[quote]In fact, the adults in the movie were portrayed in a positive light (well, except for the aunt)

Why except the aunt? She loved him too.

by Anonymousreply 152July 10, 2013 9:39 AM

R152= Jerry Sandusky

by Anonymousreply 153July 11, 2013 4:51 AM

Logan Lerman is a beautiful Jewish prince.

by Anonymousreply 154July 17, 2013 8:38 PM

FINALLY saw this with some friends.

Based on the previews, I wasn't prepared to be very impressed. I mean, it looked okay, but nothing I hadn't seen before.

But I thought it was amazing, and was really surprised by the directions it went. So glad the previews didn't give everything away!

Loved it!!

by Anonymousreply 155September 3, 2013 3:48 AM

Oh, and R38 is a fucking idiot with no taste at all.

by Anonymousreply 156September 3, 2013 4:01 AM

I loved it but I think I already said that.

by Anonymousreply 157September 3, 2013 4:05 AM

Definitely under-rated and under-appreciated. It seemed to go in and out of theaters pretty quickly. It's available on iTunes and Netflix now though, so hopefully more people will see it.

by Anonymousreply 158September 3, 2013 4:51 PM

Should I read the book? I hear there's an abortion. DONG!

by Anonymousreply 159September 3, 2013 11:41 PM

Rented this recently and had high hopes but couldn't get through it. Seemed too whiny and self-pitying. I cared about none of the characters. Syrupy music playing throughout. I know the filmmakers thought they were making "Stand By My 16 Candled Breakfast Club"- but it weas in their own minds.

by Anonymousreply 160September 3, 2013 11:48 PM

Go fart somewhere else, r160.

by Anonymousreply 161September 3, 2013 11:55 PM

I'm sorry, R160, but if you didn't stick around for the final 20 or so minutes, then you missed the whole movie (and the whole point of the movie).

You're an idiot, and you're the one full of FAIL in this case.

You should try and see someone about you're bizarre short attention span.

by Anonymousreply 162September 4, 2013 12:27 AM

I'm guessing R160 didn't make it more than 20 minutes into the movie, based on that post.

And the soundtrack was great stuff, actually.

by Anonymousreply 163September 4, 2013 7:06 PM

[quote]My one note was this: I graduated in 1995, so I should be just about Charlie's age. The music was off by five years. Sure, the Smiths were big, but Nirvana would have been what all these kids, ESPECIALLY, these kids would be listening to. Cobain became a legend because of kids like Charlie, Sam, and Patrick. And no way no how would two "alternative" seniors NOT know Heroes by Bowie. Bowie was a god to us.

Yeah.. Morrissey was kinda out of fashion then and only a very select few that age would know of The Smiths and even then via elder siblings.

The Smiths were before my time as well and I didn't get into them till later, Moz was releasing comedy novelty songs like "You're the One for Me, Fatty" as singles at this stage - and not the classic album track "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" as in the movie - which wouldn't really entice anyone to him.

The slightly anachronistic music aside, I still think this is about the best use of music and obsessive music fans in film. It always seems so awkward and shoehorned in, here it was natural and crucial they got it right cause it was central to the movie.

I much prefer this to the overrated Donnie Darko with that hideous Tears for Fears cover. It's better than most John Hughes movies as well.

by Anonymousreply 164September 4, 2013 7:43 PM

Well, to be fair, the movie took place in Pennsylvania, so they would have definitely been "behind the curve", though I agree, the music/time-line was slightly off to me.

And it just seemed odd nobody knew "Heroes", as even I (growing up in Ohio) knew about it before the age of MTV due to Video Concert Hall, and it was all over MTV. Maybe it dropped out for people in the next generation up (which would have been Charlie)... I doubt many places were playing "heroes" in the early 90s... but still. How do you not recognize Bowie's distinctive voice?

It's hard to remember a time before the internet or Shazam though. And I loved the memory flash-backs of making mix-tapes (which I did all the time).

Such a great move over-all, even with the nits to pick.

by Anonymousreply 165September 4, 2013 8:25 PM

They can't make underdog/outcast movies anymore because everybody has to be out of an Abercrombie ad. They don't have the courage to cast offbeat youths, so how can you empathize or root for them?

by Anonymousreply 166September 4, 2013 8:33 PM

R166, if you think this movie was full of Abercrombie types, you're decidedly full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 167September 4, 2013 8:36 PM

Loved this movie.

by Anonymousreply 168October 13, 2013 2:28 AM

Who is Charlie writing to at the beginning of the movie? I assume he is writing to this person (no gender) in the novel, too.

by Anonymousreply 169October 17, 2013 1:34 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 170December 4, 2013 4:48 AM

R169 - the book doesn't reveal who is the recipient of the letters. I assumed they were written to someone who was important in his life but not part of Patrick's group of friends. You have to remember that Charlie has no friends and a disfunctional family at the beginning of the story. My first thought was they were written to Michael, his friend who committed suicide. Another choice is they were written to his aunt who molested him and died in the car accident. Another possibility is they are just written as a journal.

Charlie's quote that changes his life - "We don't get to choose where we came from, but we can choose where we go from here."

I love this book. It really should be required reading for high school freshmen. In the book, the letters are a much more important part of the story.

by Anonymousreply 171December 4, 2013 11:59 PM

just watched The Perks of Being A Wallflower for the first time and then immediately started it over and watched it again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172January 25, 2014 10:50 AM

So happy to see the reunion of Emma Watson and Logan Lerman in NOAH, although it's obvious who the talented one in THAT movie is.

by Anonymousreply 173April 11, 2014 3:59 AM

Emma Watson was so good in Noah. She's really choosing interesting roles.

'Perks' is still one of my favorite movies from the past few years. I think because it just came out of nowhere, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. Simple yet full of depth. A very moving film.

by Anonymousreply 174April 11, 2014 4:07 AM

Ezra = Monster Cock

by Anonymousreply 175April 11, 2014 4:19 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 176April 13, 2014 3:15 AM

Evidence, please, R175.

by Anonymousreply 177April 13, 2014 3:29 AM

[quote] Plus to be shallow, the football player should have been hotter.

I agree with you on that.

by Anonymousreply 178April 13, 2014 11:40 AM

Erin Wilhelmi (Alice) is making a small dent in New York playing the human equivalence of a nervous chihuahua. First Core Values and then American Hero. Same character. Same mousey voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 26, 2014 11:43 AM

Although their characters were very different, I couldn't help but notice similar inflections in speech between Emma Watson and Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club.

by Anonymousreply 180July 26, 2014 2:00 PM

Ezra Miller is finally parlaying his success from this movie to play...a super hero? Who the hell is his agent?

by Anonymousreply 181October 18, 2014 2:27 AM

I wonder what ever became of Brad and Patrick? I imagine Brad is married (to a woman) and having occasional hookups on the side.

by Anonymousreply 182October 9, 2019 2:57 AM

Whatever happened to Logan Lerman? He stopped acting right when his career was hot. Johnny Simmons also hasn't been in anything in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 183October 9, 2019 6:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!