Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Creepy Places around the world

Inspired by the L.A. in the late 60s/70s - post your favorite creepy places (city, town, forest, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 199February 16, 2022 7:57 PM

Your mother's basement.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2012 9:27 PM

Here's a post describing what we are looking for from the thread the OP mentioned:

"[R31] and [R32](or anyone else with similar experiences), could you please describe some of the places you've gotten a creepy/weird feeling from, and why, even if it seems hard to describe or nonsensical? I'd love to hear some descriptions, whether it be about a city, just a small area of a city, a house, etc..

Certain places do have a strong atmosphere to them."

Also said was that people think their perceptions are unique to themselves, only to find out that others were inexplicably creeped out by the same place and often at the same time. It is often collectively felt.

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2012 10:02 PM

Salem Witch House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2012 10:24 PM

When I came home from a vacation in Germany, one of my Wiccan friends asked about the atmosphere at Dachau.

There were evil instruments on display, and how they were used fully explained, but I had to say the atmosphere was not what one might have imagined considering what happened there.

Banality of evil is right.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2012 11:02 PM

My place is Disneyworld. Something about it wreaks of broken dreams, festering nostalgia, and cheesy popcorn.

Too bad you can't legally investigate without jailtime, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2012 11:18 PM

Gettysburg Pa. I don't believe in ghosts or any of that shit. Maybe its the constant reminders of the wholesale slaughter that happened there, but I found the whole place, well...creepy

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2012 11:20 PM

Plains of Abraham in Quebec City. It's now a city park, but was once a bloody battleground. It was surreal to see people play frisbee amidst gashes in the ground caused by cannonballs.

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2012 11:32 PM

One time in high school I took a ride with friends up a drive along the river which become more and more 'out there' as we went along. We were all scared out of our minds for no reason, but inexplicably, it made us feel very far away from our comfort zones and from reality. It really did spook us badly. Just one of those weird overwhelming moods/reveries that happen every once in a while.

When we came upon a creepy old house with dogs in the front yard, the dogs starting approaching and we freaked out and left.

We jokingly exaggerated saying that they were hellhounds on fire coming up from the ground and were abnormally large.

Sometimes places untouched by much everyday life have a strong atmosphere and creepiness factor.

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2012 2:08 AM

Meat Rack-Fire Island

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2012 2:13 AM

Jasmine Guy's house.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2012 2:20 AM

The Twin Towers in the early seventies. Worked in lower Manhattan and commuted from Journal Square (Jersey City) to and from work, the stop for that area was WTC (a work in progress). Still in construction phase the train depot was a very scary place indeed. There was one small dark staircase for all pedestrian traffic. Let me tell you, it was haunted back then. While exiting the train, anyone and everyone would basically try to touch the person in front of the line and scurry up that blasted staircase. Bare bulbs hanging and such, not to mention extremely bad vibes. So happy my employment in that area was short lived.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2012 2:29 AM

I was on a roadtrip with some friends heading to the Jersey Shore (insert jokes here). It was late at night and we were driving through the Jersey Pine Barrens. We were driving along when we passed a small dirt road/driveway I guess, we decided that maybe we'd see the Jersey Devil or the spirits that haunt the Barrens, so we started to drive in. We got about 100 feet when the atmosphere got so thick and tense that we had to turn around. Everyone in the car had a very scary feeling. Seemed very Deliverance.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2012 2:35 AM

The ruins of the old 1800's Metropolitan State Hospital and Gaebler Children's Center (both basically asylums) in Waltham, Mass. Holy shit.

Some bad shit went down there. Just walking around the grounds is very freaky/bad energy. There are over 500 unmarked graves - just numbered, some not even that. We found bones on our hike, were not sure if they were human or animal. That place was no joke. Pics before it was torn down at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2012 3:23 AM

Come to Memphis and go to Voodoo Village.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2012 3:31 AM

Gettysberg is supposed to be haunted. People say they have seen ghosts on the battlefield.

There was a show on PBS last week, about how society as a whole was affected by the mass deaths during the Civil War. The stuff we take for granted now, about retrieving bodies and burying them, dogtags, writing letters to the next of kin, all started during the Civil War. Even ambulance service to bring the wounded to the hospital was started by the father of a soldier who was left wounded on the battlefield to die. The family never found his grave.

Soldiers were abandoned to bleed out on the battlefield, then thrown in a mass grave weeks or months after their deaths. In many cases their families were never notified. In those days being buried near family was a big thing, so having no marked grave meant you could never be returned home. They had about a million reasons not to rest easy. I've read stories about people seeing soliders there that they thought were re-enactors, then they disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2012 3:42 AM

my dad use to work in union station, said there were a few places that no matter how crowded it got those areas would only have a person standing there for a few seconds and then they'd move on. he said he'd tried to find out if anything had happened in those areas but couldn't find anything. he heard aboutit from the older guys when he started there. he showed me where a couple of them were and it was a really weird thing, it was like people just wouldn't stand in those areas. also, he wouldn't let me go near the area, i really wanted to standin it a feel what ever was there, but he refused to let me. figured when i was old enough to go there on my own i'd stand in those places, by the time i was old enough i had forgotten where they were and my dad was gone.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2012 3:58 AM

Cuba and Venezuela. I guess it must be the widespread practice of santeria what gives those countries such creepy vibes

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2012 4:08 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2012 4:29 AM

The Buffalo State Asylum for the Mentally Insane. Terrifying looking building...Has been abandoned for years but they're steadily opening the doors to visitors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2012 4:31 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2012 4:31 AM

My grandparent's house when I was little. I bet that many people can relate to that!

It had some weird air organ in a back room that made weird music when you hit the keys. The place just scared me. One night we stayed over in the family room, where there was some statue of a tiger with glowing eyes by the fireplace! Didn't sleep well that night.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2012 4:36 AM

R5, Disneyworld is purposefully built on a ley line, same as Giza pyramids, Delphi, Stonehenge, the Nazca lines, and the Bermuda Triangle, etc. It is also 33 degree latitude, very significant in masonic and other occult tradition. The carousel is centrally located to act as a Tesla coil. That's just the tip of the high strangeness.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2012 5:07 AM

Del Amo Fashion Square in Torrance.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2012 5:17 AM

I volunteered at Metropolitan State Hospital in Waltham, Mass. It was beyond creepy.

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2012 5:18 AM

Ann Coulter's vagina. Where no human being has gone before.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2012 5:26 AM

Pennhurst has to rank among the top. Even if you don't the history and the reports of paranormal events, the entire area is very creepy. A veritable ghost town.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2012 5:37 AM

I would say any war torn areas where bodies are being blown up or exposed on the public street. Places like Iraq and Afghanistan -- or any where in the ME and Africa. The horror of just walking down the street and seeing blood and gore.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2012 5:53 AM

The house where Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her step-mother forty whacks is now a Bed and Breakfast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2012 5:54 AM

R22, Disneyland and Disneyworld both have always creeped me out beyond belief. Even more so knowing with time that most of my fundie relatives (who are legion) and "friends" are huge fans of the Disney franchise.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2012 5:56 AM

Supposedly Disneyland is truly haunted. And this is no joke, the haunted mansion is supposedly haunted. They said there are some weird paranormal stuff that occur in the haunted mansion and other rides as well. Before Disneyland was built, it was just a large orchard farm go figure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2012 7:37 AM

Here is more info on Disneyland being haunted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2012 7:40 AM

I thought Dachau was weird in the sense I expected it to be creepy but it was blank. The place is literally like someone took an eraser to that part of the earth. I read energy and there was no energy there to read. It's a dead spot. I remember thinking there was no way to heal land that is so completely dead. It's dead and the air and soil are dead also. I went there with a preconceived idea of what it would or should be and I drew a blank.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2012 7:59 AM

Hurricane Alicia hit downtown Houston in the early 80s. Most of downtown was cordoned off due to all the damage. I had to attend at one of the downtown hotels on the perimeter, but between the cordon and the one-way streets, I just could not navigate my car there. I parked on the outside and talked a cop into letting me walk across downtown. It was so weird, all these tall buildings, broken glass everywhere, but not another person in sight for blocks. It looked as though I was the only survivor of the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2012 8:06 AM

R32 --

This is R4.

I found the air "flat" not blank, although we may be using different words for the same thing.

I'm not Wiccan nor do I read energies. I'm just a boring secular type.

Now, The Culloden Battlefield -- by day, it felt more like a park (as many battlefields do) but I was back out there at 10:30 at night, waiting for a ride on the road beside it, and it didn't feel evil, just not at peace in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2012 10:43 AM

[quote] It was late at night and we were driving through the Jersey Pine Barrens.

That is a creepy place. Drove through it once, never again. Gave me major creeps.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2012 10:43 AM

The creepiest place I've ever been is Vancouver's downtown Eastside. It's a large neighbourhood where severe drug addicts, the homeless, sex workers, and mentally ill people all live.

The OP probably wants us to focus on supernatural creepiness, but supernatural places are areas with weird and oftentimes scary 'energy', and the Vancouver downtown Eastside has that creepy 'energy'.

Walking through the area, it's like walking through a zombie movie.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2012 10:47 AM

If we're allowing ghettos, San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood is one of the scariest places I've ever been. I've been to a lot of poor and sad places, but in the Tenderloin there was murder in their air, as if everyone there was willing to kill for pocket change.

On a slightly more cheerful note, I lived in a neighborhood full of beautiful old Victorian houses, and one struck me as creepy... every time I walked by. It was a grand old place, like all the other houses on that street, but it was the only one with the creepy vibe. Sure enough, I later found it on a list of local haunted houses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2012 11:49 AM

Chichen Itza, Mexico, especially the ball field.

The Allen Memorial Institute, a mental ward housed in a creepy old mansion also known as Ravenscrag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2012 11:59 AM

Bomarzo, Italy

by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2012 12:03 PM

What's the deal with the Pine Barrens? I only heard of from that Sopranos episode.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2012 12:04 PM

Gettysburg is more solemn I think than "creepy". It brings up a lot of thought when you're standing there looking out over the fields and driving the tree lined little street paths through it. Though I suppose if ghosts do exist, this would be a place that would have more than its share of them. But I don't get "creepy" when I'm at Gettysburg more than I do a sense of sadness and reflection.

There's an old abandoned, massive warehouse which sits on the river and just off the train platform at Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. It's on the Croton-Harlem line for those who take MetroNorth in and out of the city. I think it's the Hastings platform anyway, could be the one between Yonkers and Hastings.

I've been stuck there a couple of times when I've missed my stop and the sense of despair and trouble and the 'red flags' I get from something awful being/happening in there is overwhelming, and I'm not a guy who follows ghosts shows gets into a lot of paranormal belief stuff.

I should take some shots for you guys and share them with you. Lots of old abandoned early 20th and late 19th Century buildings in lower Westchester, all within view of lower Manhattan no less.

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2012 12:21 PM

Parts of New Orleans are creepy, too.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2012 12:28 PM

Dachau - if you walk to the right of the main building, there is an entrance and hallway. It feels like the entrance to hell.

Ann Frank House - not evil but a definite presence.

Gettysburg

WTC Observation Deck - my partner, me and a young friend. we had just gone sailing. decided to take the kid to the top of the wtc. we walk out onto the deck on the roof, it was much colder, clouds rolling in. I got a really bad feeling. My partner and I looked at each other and one of us, I don't remember who, said let's get out of here.

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2012 12:39 PM

[quote]Supposedly Disneyland is truly haunted. And this is no joke, the haunted mansion is supposedly haunted.

The haunted mansion thing is bullshit for the tourists, at least I never heard of it when I worked there.

What I did hear several times, is that there is a spot along the Disneyland Railroad, over by where the burning settler's cabin (that no longer burns) sits that has a seriously evil vibe to it. Nothing specific, just a strong "raise the hair on the back of your neck/let's get the fuck out of here" feeling you got when you were there.

It's probably the most remote and isolated spot in the Park, but even security guys hated to be over there, especially at night when the Park was closed, and almost never went over there alone.

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2012 12:43 PM

An acquaintance visited Dachau with her Polish relatives, who'd never been there. All Catholic.

One aunt, who'd probably been under 10 during the war, started to weep and shake. She stayed outside, others went wherever.

When they came out, the aunt was a shaking blubbering mess. She was being comforted by other visitors. They assumed she was Jewish.

When she told me the story, I started shivering. Someone's there.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2012 4:14 PM

R43, what year was that?

I reminds me of a theory I read somewhere - that there's a "resonance" going both backwards and forwards for very large, catastrophic events.

There are some cases of a lot of people dreaming about a plane crashing the night before a big plane crash, a number of people had nightmares or visions about the Titanic sinking before it did, etc. If there is a type of resonance from large scale events, it stands to reason that the deaths of thousands of people in one spot might somehow be sensed by more sensitive people. Some of the Titanic dreamers' dreams were so specific, it really makes you think.

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2012 4:20 PM

R37, I have had the same experience as you. I literally felt like a prey animal while navigating my way through the Tenderloin. There is something beastly there, and the look in the street people's eyes were like those of a hungry lion, or shark.

NEVER again to the Tenderloin, the Mission, the Bart, or the San Fran area proper.

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2012 4:25 PM

Besides the piss stained seats, what's creepy about BART? And SF proper?

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2012 4:33 PM

A former patients recall of his time spent at Gaebler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2012 4:34 PM

R46 -- that's the odd thing about the WTC. The above post is only the second premonition that I've heard about after all these years. Something like that -- one would expect far more people feeling something was in the air, as in the Lincoln assassination, JFK, Aberfan.

Even the massacre on the Virgin Islands had some premonitions, but WTC? Hardly anything.

Something changed with the Millennium.

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2012 4:41 PM

The catacombs in Rome.

Beyond creepy.

by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2012 4:42 PM

Centralia, Pennsylvania

Mostly abandoned due to an underground coal fire since the '60s. The ground is hot and everything is dead.

by Anonymousreply 52September 26, 2012 4:52 PM

all of Vegas and 'motel' I thought I was going to check into in St. Louis, MO that looked like something out of District 9 - and the surrounding vacant buildings where I got lost trying to get the hell out of there

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2012 4:59 PM

R46, it was July 2001

by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2012 5:03 PM

The vivid Dachau reactions seem to be towards the evil which occurred there, which is understandable. But the aura there is flat.

by Anonymousreply 55September 26, 2012 5:06 PM

Many years ago, my ex and I went to the Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires to see Evita's tomb. It's a "city" of fairly large mausoleums, not tombstones. We arrived late on a gray, overcast day, in (their) winter. Her digs are fairly far in from the entrance, and we were about the only living beings there. I kept expecting hounds from hell to bound around a corner straight at us at any moment!

by Anonymousreply 56September 26, 2012 5:07 PM

The only time I felt unsafe in Vegas was wandering the grounds of the Flamingo at night. I was walking past the mermaid fountain and suddenly became ice cold with fear. The feeling vanished as soon as I got the hell out of there.

by Anonymousreply 57September 26, 2012 5:09 PM

Parts of New Orleans.

Congressional Cemetery in DC. Full of eminent personages but sinister and rundown.

The entire nation of Romania can have an eerie vibe. Memories of repression and enlavement, along with an aging population and really low level of development.

by Anonymousreply 58September 26, 2012 5:17 PM

Last night spanish TV (TVE) aired a documentary about Las Vegas that made it look like hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 59September 26, 2012 5:18 PM

I used to go to the St. Mark's Baths in the late 70s. I was in my late teens. I always had an uneasy feeling, like there was something sinister under the surface.

by Anonymousreply 60September 26, 2012 5:27 PM

"Last night spanish TV (TVE) aired a documentary about Las Vegas that made it look like hell on earth."

Why? I wish I'd seen it, I'm from Vegas. What's the name of it?

by Anonymousreply 61September 26, 2012 5:31 PM

Agree about the east side of vancouver. It's like stumbling into the underworld. It's especially dramatic because the change is so abrupt. Vancouver is so verdant and orderly and has an air of prosperity. Except for the east side, which is just this vortex of despair and filth and addiction and death.

by Anonymousreply 62September 26, 2012 5:35 PM

Old Shawneetown, Ill. I stopped to look at this old bank, set in majestic empty splendor on a brick street. There was a bar operating in a building across the street where most of the second floor had been demolished. There were no people, no cars, and just a neon sign in the bar window. As I stopped the car in front of the bank I felt a chill. Next thing I knew a pack of feral dirty dogs had surrounded the car and were barking and circling and wouldn't let me leave. It seemed like good five minutes, but probably was more like one minute, before they calmed enough to me peel outta of there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 26, 2012 5:44 PM

R61 "Buscamundos", father and son concentrate on the worst about Las Vegas: homeless, prostitution and the "fake ness" of it all. They were specially appalled at a place were people can go and fire automatic weapons. They concluded that Vegas was a cheap backdrop for broken dreams. It left me depressed

by Anonymousreply 64September 26, 2012 5:44 PM

Then when I googled Old Shawneetown, this was one of the first photos that popped up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 26, 2012 5:45 PM

It does look like someone has given the road a fresh coat of asphalt since that time. The bar is gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 26, 2012 5:48 PM

Lake Berryessa. Although I'm not sure how much that has to do with its Zodiac history.

by Anonymousreply 67September 28, 2012 7:30 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 68September 28, 2012 7:36 AM

Rosie O'Donnell's vag.

by Anonymousreply 69September 28, 2012 7:39 AM

R63's bank looks like something out of a movie.

I've never been to Little Big Horn, but I've seen a few documentaries on it and the whole area kind of creeps me out - the winding river and the hills and valleys hiding a massive group of warriors who decimated Custer's regiment - it seems haunted there too.

Watched a version of Hounds of the Baskervilles and got scared of the Moor.

by Anonymousreply 70September 28, 2012 7:56 AM

Yellowstone National Park also has some very creepy spots. I soloā€”camped in a remote area in the Pelican Valley. Everything was fine until at night I heard heavy rustling and branches breaking. I literally sat frozen and motionless in my tent for a good 1 to 2 hours until sunlight (thank God). It wasn't until later that I learned that the area had been the site of a grizzly bear mauling of some Swiss chick back in the 80s.

Very eerie vibes, and I've soloā€”camped many, many places.

by Anonymousreply 71September 28, 2012 9:10 AM

The desert town of Twentynine Palms, Ca. has a very unhappy vibe - everyone there seemed to be in the depths of clinical depression. And it's right next to beautiful Joshua Tree National Park, and none of the other towns in the area feel the same way.

Of course, I haven't visited since meth came to the small towns of America. God knows what it's like now.

by Anonymousreply 72September 28, 2012 9:39 AM

Does anyone remember a true crime case which two teenage girls snuck into a cabin in Northern California in a wooded are of course, and were murdered by the park ranger in the 1970s? I read a little about that case one time ,but I forget about it because its been a while since I have read it.I have read the cabin is extremely haunted and many people have claimed numerous stories encountering a tremendous amount of supernatural activity just walking by the cabin. People have claimed that the cabin makes your hair raise.

by Anonymousreply 73September 28, 2012 10:21 AM

Keddie cabins, R73?

by Anonymousreply 74September 28, 2012 12:03 PM

"got scared of the Moor"

Just the one, dear?

by Anonymousreply 75September 28, 2012 12:12 PM

Creepy L.A. Places, they give murder tours

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 28, 2012 12:14 PM

Lake Berryessa. It has a big drain on one end. Looks alien from the sky...

by Anonymousreply 77September 28, 2012 1:15 PM

Really R74? I. familiar with that case but I thought there was another case where two girls went on their own in a wooded cabin and as a result, they got murdered and rapped by some sick park ranger? or someone? BTW, the cabin to the Keddie murders was bulldozed. They that was a busy vacation spot ,but after those murders, occurred back in 1980, no one vacationed around there ever again and it became a ghost town ever since.

by Anonymousreply 78September 28, 2012 1:53 PM

"Lake Berryessa. It has a big drain on one end."

Did you know the big drain near the dam is officially called a "glory hole"?

Now, how can anything so funny be creepy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 28, 2012 6:11 PM

It can be if you are driven by occult compulsions to commit murder there!

by Anonymousreply 80September 28, 2012 6:14 PM

Laurel Canyon -- even years after all the crazed stuff that went on up there

by Anonymousreply 81September 30, 2012 1:31 AM

My Dad used to frequent this deli near our house. He'd get coffee and a sandwich and read the morning paper. One day, two flies flew over and dropped dead in midair, landing in his coffee. The next day, the same thing happened -- the fly seemed hit an invisible wall in midair and again landed in his coffee.

After that, he used another table, but anyone sitting there (and only when someone was sitting there) would have a fly or fly suddenly die in midair and land on that table.

The Creepy Zone.

by Anonymousreply 82September 30, 2012 1:57 PM

Yes, I third the East Side of Vancouver. I felt like I was in the Walking Dead. I didn't feel unsafe, which made it even more creepy... like everyone was glazed over.

Also the fact that they have a homeless swap meet, was weird.

by Anonymousreply 83October 4, 2012 5:22 AM

R71 you probably heard more bears moving around outside your tent. Bears and other wildlife routinely browse at night.

by Anonymousreply 84October 4, 2012 5:47 AM

Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 85October 4, 2012 5:58 AM

UMASS Dartmouth is a pretty creepy place. The architecture is brutalist meets prairie school, and the whole place is so still it feels like you're in some sort of vacuum. A friend stayed there one summer when she was doing summer stock and we broke into one of the buildings to explore and it was very creepy and disorienting. And thne there are the 666 benches...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 7, 2012 2:16 PM

This is an odd one, but the Bobelaine Audubon Sanctuary near Sacramento. I've been there several times, and it does have a creepy vibe I've never felt at any other widlife preserve.

Perhaps it's because there are so few people there (usually none), perhaps it's the unexpected density of the riparian forest, in the middle of the hot flat farm country. Perhaps it's because the forest is old and choked with strangling vines and undergrowth, I really can't put my finger on it. It's like Tolkien's Old Forest, a place where humans aren't welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 10, 2012 4:46 AM

My family used to do estate sales for banks. One was in Lakeview. A son had inherited the house and promptly OD'd.

It was surrounded by cool brick row houses, but it had asphalt siding. The house was old enough to have a few awkward steps down from the street to the entrance door. Its basement had no windows and the floor was oiled dirt. There was haze everywhere - like a fog. All the floors were filthy worn linoleum.

The furniture was all the '20s version of IKEA - jacobean monster shit badly veneered. The old toys were greasy and broken. The christmas stuff was '50s and stained.

Estate sales usually draw an assorted crowd. This one pulled in strictly non-bathing circus folk and they were mean. We had two bum fights over towels and shoes. We also had arguments in the family - which usually didn't happen. It was just a sick sick place.

by Anonymousreply 88October 10, 2012 5:32 AM

R12 and R35:

A wonderful book on the Pine Barrens -- "The Pine Barrens," by John McPhee, see link.

Love Canal and Chernobyl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 10, 2012 12:08 PM

The Linderman Library at Lehigh Univ. I don't know about now -- they recently rehabbed it -- but when I went there, there were two or three underground floors that felt like no one had been in there for decades. There was that horribly musty smell that comes from old books and bugs, and dust in the corners.

There were odd twists and turns, and many dark nooks on those floors were difficult to get to. I always felt like there would be a skeleton or a dead body or a murderer lurking right around the corner.

Plus, it was dead quiet down there. It used to make me think of that tagline that went something like, "In the dark, nobody can hear you scream."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 10, 2012 12:45 PM

The French Quarter, late at night when the fog rolls in off the river and all you can really see is the halo around the street lights and all the sound is muffled...

Similarly, Paris, late at night, when you stumble out of some dive bar, and there is no one on the streets and you can't find a taxi anywhere. The anxiety just begins creeping higher and higher as you meander towards your place.

by Anonymousreply 91October 10, 2012 1:21 PM

Fort Mifflin - Philadelphia, PA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 10, 2012 1:40 PM

i

by Anonymousreply 93October 13, 2012 12:33 AM

The ice on the river collapsing under the weight of the school bus in The Sweet Hereafter

by Anonymousreply 94October 13, 2012 12:41 AM

Anyone visiting any creepy places for Halloween?

by Anonymousreply 95October 13, 2012 2:10 AM

The inspiration for the video game and movie Silent Hill, r52. The sequel is coming out in a few weeks in 3D, hope it's good, the original was sure spooky.

by Anonymousreply 96October 13, 2012 2:26 AM

Aokigahara- Suicide forest

by Anonymousreply 97October 13, 2012 10:53 AM

Last year the husband and I visited Amsterdam and, of course, the Anne Frank house.

I'm a Jew with a number (15+) of close relatives (mother's uncles, aunts and cousins) from Lithuania who were murdered by the Nazis, and I expected to be reduced to a blubbering lump. Nothing. Absolutely no strong emotion except when passing through the secret bookcase door, and at the very end when reading some original pages from Frank's diary on display. The place seems deserted of human spirit. I think it has something to do with the absence of any furniture: just empty rooms. I have not been to any other holocaust sites.

by Anonymousreply 98October 13, 2012 12:34 PM

Also visited Culloden on the way to visit a dear friend's family in Aberdeen. It did seem like a "park", but then I'm not a Scot.

by Anonymousreply 99October 13, 2012 12:38 PM

Tasmania. A lot of very bad DNA there. And I'm not just talking about the Tasmanian Devils with facial cancer from the herbicides from the forest industry in the streams fucking up their chromosomes. I'm talking the endless, endless, endless white trash, including that with convict roots.

by Anonymousreply 100October 13, 2012 12:54 PM

I was just reading about the SIX - six, people! - bodies that were pulled out of Foss Lake in Oklahoma this fall.

Six bodies, in two separate cars, one that went into the lake in 1969 and the other in 1970. One car had three old people in it, the other (a Camaro) had three teenagers.

Absolutely unrelated. And for 40 years both have been cold case, missing persons who just vanished, never to be seen or heard from again.

Sonar testing by some company, purely by accident, found the cars in the lake and that's how they found them. Theories are that back then, the cars simply skidded on ice and went off the boat ramp. No one ever thought to look in the lake. The cars were SIDE BY FUCKING SIDE for 40 years in only 12 feet of water, less than 50 feet from shore with all the bodies inside.

Makes me think the lake itself is evil. Like it pulled them in there.

by Anonymousreply 101November 24, 2013 11:03 PM

It was you, R101, you. You are projecting onto the lake.

by Anonymousreply 102November 24, 2013 11:32 PM

This is the best thread on DL right now, so cool.

by Anonymousreply 103November 24, 2013 11:58 PM

The National Shrine Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes near Mount St. Mary's College in Maryland. There's a replica of the Lourdes grotto and it was just dead quiet. Creepy.

Venice at night. It was creepy walking around barely lit streets and fog. However, I did love it all the same.

by Anonymousreply 104November 25, 2013 12:09 AM

OMG - I started the whole 'Jasmine Guy's House' thing... ahhh... memories...

by Anonymousreply 105November 25, 2013 12:39 AM

Park Avenue, Manhattan. Filled with ghosts dead and living.

by Anonymousreply 106November 25, 2013 12:58 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 107November 25, 2013 5:56 AM

Anyone ever been to the Stanford Memorial Church (religious cathedral inside of Stanford University), location where Arlis Perry was ritualistically murdered in the early '70s by the satanic cult related to Son of Sam?

by Anonymousreply 108November 25, 2013 9:11 AM

Los Angeles, AKA the American capital of satanism, has a ton of places with bad, creepy juju:

a). The Angeles Forest (a national forest in the middle of 20 million people that always feels creepily isolated; also a body-dumping graveyard and a place where occult worship/sacrifice takes place.. no joke: See "Curve fire").

b). Turnbull Canyon (Whittier)

c). Major urbans parks (Elysian Park & Griffith Park) after dark.

d). Arroyo seco river which runs from Jet Propulsion Laboratory (NASA research center built on the tenets of satanism) below Suicide Bridge in Pasadena.

e). Cielo Drive near the old Sharon Tate mansion.

f). Wonderland murders apartment.

More inexplicable, however, is that on certain days/nights, Los Angeles "feels" evil; I can't explain it, but it's a palpable, overwhelmingly negative energy that permeates the air and violence in the city seems to erupt (fights break out, murder happens). Joan Didion wrote about it in an article. It's a strange phenomena that I've experience nowhere else in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 109November 25, 2013 9:26 AM

I've been to MemChu a million times, I used to work on the campus. WTF is this about a murder?

It's a beautiful building in a lovely setting, and I never got any creepy vibes from it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 25, 2013 9:28 AM

R110, google "Arlis Perry."

by Anonymousreply 111November 25, 2013 9:32 AM

Great thread

by Anonymousreply 112November 25, 2013 10:28 AM

The Catacombe dei Cappuccini.

Took a tour through here when I was in Sicily a number of years ago.

The mummified body of Rosalia Lombardo was enough to creep me out for weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 25, 2013 10:35 AM

[quote]Too bad you can't legally investigate without jailtime, [R4].

WTF does that even mean? Aside from not making any sense in relation to what was posted at R4, why would one receive "jailtime" for doing something "legally"?

by Anonymousreply 114November 25, 2013 12:33 PM

R45 tells the chilling tale of a Catholic woman having an emotional response. To think, she was upset by being in a concentration camp! And she's not even Jewish! Because only Jews react to concentration camps or genocide.

by Anonymousreply 115November 25, 2013 12:53 PM

R113 those pics are creepy as hell. Did it stink or have an odor at all?

by Anonymousreply 116November 25, 2013 6:55 PM

x

by Anonymousreply 117July 11, 2014 10:28 PM

Caddo Lake in East Texas

Okeefenokeee Swamp on the Georgia/Florida border. Ppl go in there & they never come out. Heavy mist, alligators, snakes, cypress trees. Right out of a horror movie.

The Jersey Pine Barrens

Underground Naples, Italy - catacombs for miles & miles, in very enclosed space. Skeletons literally within reach & the place is full of rats.

The Highway of Tears in western Canada. Dozens & dozens of ppl (mostly women) have either been murdered, or have disappeared there, since the 1950s.

The Muir Woods near SF

The Moors in England - one of the creepiest places I have ever been to, anywhere on the planet. It's the setting for The Hounds of the Baskervilles.

The Jura region of eastern France. Incredibly remote & very sparsely populated.

The Haunted Hotel at Tequendama Falls in Colombia. Many have committed suicide here by jumping from the hotel into the crevasse below. Look online for photos. When I went there, I don't think I had ever had such a feeling of creeping sadness come over me.

The entire city of Salvador da Bahia in Brazil. There's a reason why it's the capital of candomble' (Brazilian voodoo). Spooky.

by Anonymousreply 118July 11, 2014 10:53 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 119July 11, 2014 11:13 PM

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 120July 11, 2014 11:17 PM

What's creepy about the Muir Woods, R118?

I'm going to mention Twentynine Palms, Ca., a small town outside Joshua Tree National Park. Everyone in the town looks miserable and depressed, being there is like being in a zombie movie.

by Anonymousreply 121July 11, 2014 11:28 PM

Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 122July 11, 2014 11:30 PM

R121: When I was there it was late in the day, very foggy & almost no one around. It was really quiet & creepy. There were three of us there & we couldn't wait to ditch the place.

I think you already posted about Twentynine Palms, upthread. Nearly the same wording in another post, but awhile back.

by Anonymousreply 123July 11, 2014 11:32 PM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2014 7:40 AM

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 125October 13, 2014 7:41 AM

by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2014 7:41 AM

Everyone's mentioning Dachau but what about the other camps?

by Anonymousreply 127October 13, 2014 12:59 PM

They wanted to build a mall on Ravensbruck. I guess no one felt anything there.

by Anonymousreply 128October 13, 2014 3:10 PM

Bumping this thread . It's one of my favorites! In honor of Halloween fast approaching I want to hear about more scary places!!

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2016 12:06 AM

[quote]Old Shawneetown, Ill. I stopped to look at this old bank, set in majestic empty splendor on a brick street. There was a bar operating in a building across the street where most of the second floor had been demolished. There were no people, no cars, and just a neon sign in the bar window. As I stopped the car in front of the bank I felt a chill. Next thing I knew a pack of feral dirty dogs had surrounded the car and were barking and circling and wouldn't let me leave. It seemed like good five minutes, but probably was more like one minute, before they calmed enough to me peel outta of there.

R63, ater looking up Old Shawneetown online, it looks like the town has had a challenging history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2016 12:37 AM

Here you go, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2016 12:44 AM

Cairo, Illinois

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2016 12:48 AM

The Feds won't insure Cairo against floods anymore, so it won't be redeveloped.

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2016 1:19 AM

Scarey!šŸ˜³

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2016 1:28 AM

Hadley-Day, NY aka Allentown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2016 1:31 AM

R109 I have to agree with you , L.A. does have a very weird negative vibe to it.

Has anyone gone on a Death Hag tour that Find A Death in L.A. has? I've been on a ghost hunting tour in Jerome , Arizona . It's an old mining town and the Jerome Grand Hotel is pretty creepy . It used to be a hospital and a lot of people died there .

I'm sure there's plenty of ghost hunting tours in any state you live in .

by Anonymousreply 136September 21, 2016 1:37 AM

Don't know if this has been posted up-thread, but have you seen the website 28 Days Later, OP? It's a goldmine of unsettling urban decay. It's mostly UK based there are a lot of European and international sites too. Gist of it is, someone explores an abandoned or derelict sites, takes photos and reports on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 21, 2016 1:41 AM

Bachelor Grove, an abandoned cemetery from the 1800s, located in a forest preserve near the towns of Crestwood and Oak Forest, just southwest of Chicago.

A handful of old headstones, ghostly lights that float, a house that appears and disappears from view, and on and on and on. Frequently cited as being THE creepiest place in all of Illinois.

Thankfully, no clowns prowling the woods. At least not yet . . .

by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2016 1:54 AM

(R91) Paris?!?!?! There are cameras EVERYWHERE, just like in London and Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2016 7:14 PM

I had an anxiety attack walking, lost, in Orange County.

by Anonymousreply 140April 6, 2018 12:07 PM

On a solo car trip from Vancouver to Halifax I decided to get off the TransCanada Highway to visit the town of Piapot (Pie-a-pot not Pee-a-pot) in southern Saskatchewan. When I drove through the town around 10:00 a.m. I didn't see a single living soul although there was a functioning post office. It didn't seem run down, the sun was shining, and there were magpies flitting about yet it still gave off creepy vibes. I had expected a thriving little prairie farming community not a ghost town. It was only later that I learned that only 50 persons live there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141April 6, 2018 2:30 PM

I found Venice a bit creepy. Something seemed a little off there. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 142April 6, 2018 2:37 PM

Comments about Dachau, the Anne Frank House and battlefields could also be applied to places like the Tower of London which historically were witness to so much murder and mayhem yet are now tourist magnets.

by Anonymousreply 143April 6, 2018 2:53 PM

Poor ghost cat at the Jerome Grand Hotel, I wonder what happened to it to stay there forever. I'd like to stay there but I'm a scaredy cat and wouldn't last the night if some freaky shit went down. My aunt used to tell me stories about my grandfather being a caretaker at mansions in Peru when she was little, he said he would drink heavily and talk to the ghosts when he was alone. She stayed with him one night and the toilets would flush and piano would play by itself. I think they drove him crazy because even before he died I would hear him carrying on conversations by himself. My grandma's house in Peru that she built from the ground up was creepy as fuck she owned the entire second floor and it was all furnished with burgundy velvet couches that looked like from the 1920s, all the furnishings in each room were beautiful and elegant but had a very eerie vibe. I wish I could still visit the second floor of the house as it looked back in the 80s-90s, but it must look completely different now since it was sold to a young family upon her death in 2006. I used to stay there with my aunt in the 80s when I was little and we would stay in one room even though the second floor had 6 rooms and 2 bathrooms and a wrap around balcony. we were scared there at night and would have the volume of the tv very loudly, the worst was when there was an earthquake in the middle of the night and the power went out, we only had candle sticks.

by Anonymousreply 144April 11, 2018 4:37 PM

Venice is creepy especially in winter. The films ā€œDonā€™t Look Nowā€ and ā€œThe Comfort of Strangersā€ use this quality to excellent effect. At night itā€™s easy to get lost through those narrow alleys and the buildings all look the same, blank walls of shuttered windows.

by Anonymousreply 145April 11, 2018 5:10 PM

Raven House in Vicksburg, MS. It is haunted, sometimes the ghosts will appear on the guided tours.

by Anonymousreply 146April 11, 2018 5:16 PM

Not sure this counts but on a few occasions if I'm upstairs alone in my house in broad daylight or walking my dog in the woods during the day I feel terrified that something evil is going to show itself. Probably read too much Stephen king growing up.

by Anonymousreply 147April 11, 2018 6:07 PM

I feel the same way too R147, recently I was walking through this stretch of woods in Cunningham park with my dog and I was thinking about how it was formed by glaciers and how many people must have walked through these very woods and I got scared for some reason and kept looking behind me as if I would see a ghost or something. It's just a feeling that scares me. I used to walk through it at night but one time all the lights in the perimeter of the park suddenly went out and I was already halfway in. I instantly felt panicked, it was a pitch black night with no moon and I could barely see my little white dog in front of me.

by Anonymousreply 148April 11, 2018 8:38 PM

That whole section of the West Village below, Christopher Street towards the West Side Hwy. Why anyone would choose to I've there is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 149April 12, 2018 11:00 AM

For those who mentioned 'the moors', Wistman's Wood on Dartmoor can feel quite creepy. It's a very small forest of ancient stunted oak trees separated by moss covered boulders. It's tiny and you have to be in the middle of it to feel enclosed but when the moors are misty, it's very atmospheric. The story goes that it is haunted by whist hounds, some sort of demon dog, and that legend gave Conan Doyle the idea for the Hound of the Baskervilles. Much of Dartmoor can feel eerie, with its strange rock formations and swiftly descending mists. I agree too with those posters who can freak themselves out when walking alone in a forest - something about being 'in the woods' by yourself can bring on a feeling of unease.

by Anonymousreply 150April 12, 2018 12:26 PM

r109, I agree about the evil energy in LA at night sometimes. People look and act differently on the dense energy evenings. I get home and get in the bed with a revolver by the bed. The area around melrose and labrea, walking west down melrose is especially scary. There's an occult shop you pass by that has witchy collections, and the staff look through you.

by Anonymousreply 151April 12, 2018 3:04 PM

[17] You are right Cuba and Venezuela are creepy, but it's the totalitarianism, not so much the Santeria. DR has Santeria and PR too but not creepy.

by Anonymousreply 152April 12, 2018 3:24 PM

Continental Baths in the early to mid-80s when it reopened briefly. Deserted empty cabins, one after the other in this cavernous place.

Was this also Platos Retreat or was that in another part of the Ansonia?

by Anonymousreply 153April 12, 2018 3:58 PM

R109 and R151 are right. LA is all sorts of creepy shit. Around the clock, lots of people all seem one step away (or less) from going absolutely batshit.

And so much of it is physically disgusting as well.

by Anonymousreply 154April 12, 2018 4:09 PM

Camden, Atlantic City, the Pine Barrens.

South Jersey is tops for scary/creepy.

by Anonymousreply 155April 12, 2018 7:51 PM

I've made a point to visit many 'haunted' places, trying to be open to noticing any 'vibes', and really never succeeded, until I eventually visited the Moonville Tunnel in Eastern Ohio. It's located in a state forest, and I had trouble locating it. When I did, I took a few photos, and was going to cross over the creek separating the road from the tunnel, but I felt an overwhelming feeling that I wasn't alone, even though I hadn't seen another car for nearly an hour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 13, 2018 12:38 AM

There's a church near the mag mile in Chicago. I think it's part of Marquette or DePaul University, near Chicago ave. It's always in the shade. It creeps me out. It's built on an Indian burial ground, of course.

by Anonymousreply 157April 13, 2018 12:51 AM

R157 Quigley Seminary, on Chestnut, now closed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 13, 2018 1:02 AM

I know people differ on whether the Blair Witch Project was scary, and I think a lot of it has to do if you have even spent time int he woods at dusk - esp. late fall with all the dead leaves etc. You always hear strange noises, which is most likely small animals, but you still feel like you are not quite alone. It is funny at how you can be walking in the woods - feeling relaxed and the angle of the sun changes slightly and it gets just a little darker and there is an entirely different feel to the walk.

by Anonymousreply 159April 13, 2018 1:07 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 160April 17, 2018 10:30 AM

Hotel des Bergues Geneva became very sinister after Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal poured a fortune into it and through it.

by Anonymousreply 161April 17, 2018 11:01 AM

[quote]I get home and get in the bed with a revolver by the bed

You are the creepiest part of your story. Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 162April 18, 2018 1:20 PM

I used to live somewhat near an abandoned insane asylum. We drove by a few times, but never snuck inside. It was creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 18, 2018 1:38 PM

Check out this forum, OP. It's a goldmine of creepy, abandoned sites ripe for exploration. It's mostly UK-oriented but it has a subforum for international sites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 18, 2018 1:49 PM

Hargraves Meat processing Facility in Middleborough.

Dear lord!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 18, 2018 1:57 PM

A few places not mentioned:

Ripley's Believe It or Not in NYC (epecially some of the rooms upstaris!)

The London Dungeon

The Paris Catecombs

by Anonymousreply 166April 18, 2018 2:18 PM

[quote]I used to live somewhat near an abandoned insane asylum. We drove by a few times, but never snuck inside. It was creepy.

I have a cousin who rented an apartment in a renovated insane asylum. She said no matter how they tried to "cheer" it up, it was always creepy and had a bad aura. She didn't stay long.

by Anonymousreply 167April 18, 2018 5:12 PM

[quote] While exiting the train, anyone and everyone would basically try to touch the person in front of the line

Were they all frotteurs?

by Anonymousreply 168April 18, 2018 5:21 PM

Sofia and Bucharest. So much blood spilled there.

Romania is a creepy place, though the locals are polite and good looking.

I read about the Ceausescus and the kangaroo court after I visited and all the chills I had made sense.

by Anonymousreply 169April 21, 2018 7:37 AM

Camp Crystal Lake. Some nights you can almost hear the murdered camp counselors making love. The wind through the trees makes a very creepy sound, something like Choo choo choo ha ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 170April 21, 2018 8:44 AM

Some of the older stations on the London Underground can seem creepy. Elephant & Castle is one example. For those with an interest in the supernatural, there is a very good documentary from 2005 on YouTube called "Ghosts on the Underground".

by Anonymousreply 171April 21, 2018 9:09 AM

Mary King's Close in Edinburgh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 21, 2018 10:22 AM

The burial crypt of Ferdinand and Isabella, their daughter and son-in-law in Granada. So grubby and sordid underneath the elaborate cathedral in Granada. Totally gave me the creeps as a young teenager.

by Anonymousreply 173April 21, 2018 12:12 PM

Abandoned places

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 21, 2018 12:24 PM

The Ansonia in New York. Wide empty corridors. Misshapen rooms. Caverns were the continental baths used to be. Anyone been there recently?

by Anonymousreply 175April 21, 2018 12:25 PM

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

by Anonymousreply 176April 21, 2018 2:04 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 177April 22, 2018 9:02 PM

Well, I'm not the bumper, but I had this thread on my watched list, and if anyone new can add t this, it would be great.

by Anonymousreply 178April 22, 2018 9:26 PM

Before they demolished it the Ambassador Hotel in LA was ground zero for creepy. In 1997 when I roamed around it it had been deserted accept for hundreds of feral cats for 10 years Used primarily for location shots so when I approached the lone drowsy security guard and flashed my guild card told him I was location scouting he nodded and in I went. Spent an hour exploring. Electricity was still on in lobby. Coconut Grove was black cave. The smell of mold and cat piss was overwhelming. Expected to see Norma Desmond descend the staircase any minute.Wanted to see the Embassy Ballroom.The main door was pad locked but I found a rotting side door that let me in. Only emergency light on inside.Rotting blood red damask carpet,drip drip of water leaks. Stood on the stage where Bobby Kennedy made his last speech. Opened the door to the kitchen where he was shot. I had no flash light.It was pitch black. Tentatively I crept in. Bang. bang. The only time the hair on my neck stood up. Cat came racing out of the kitchen and I followed right behind. I was sure Nicholson was chasing me with an axe. Was never so happy to see the light of day. Creepy you betcha.

by Anonymousreply 179April 22, 2018 10:50 PM

I saw what you did there, R170.

by Anonymousreply 180April 29, 2018 2:53 AM

Kapuzinergruft, the imperial crypt in Vienna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 29, 2018 2:59 AM

I took a tour in Pennsylvania a few years ago, and one of our tour stops was Gettysburg. We took the "Ghost Walk/Haunted Battlefield" After Dark Tour, and it really was creepy. It was right before Halloween, so that just added to the ambiance!

I've also been to the Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow area in New York State in the fall, and they had a lot of Halloween themed activities that were equally fun and scary, until you heard the sound of horse's hooves. It's a beautiful area to visit in Autumn.

by Anonymousreply 182April 29, 2018 3:14 AM

The Bill Cosby House in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 183April 29, 2018 3:18 AM

This thread is exactly why people voted for Trump. Magical thinking, supernatural, ghosts, evil sneaking up on you...silly, juvenile nonsense. Overgrown children who canā€™t think logically

by Anonymousreply 184April 29, 2018 4:51 AM

R184 Where do YOU come up with this nonsense? Have you ever enjoyed a fun filled day in the past 20 years? You sound pretty mean and bitter.

I didn't vote for that jackass that currently resides in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 185April 29, 2018 5:37 AM

šŸ‘šŸ‘ I am enjoying this thread.

by Anonymousreply 186April 29, 2018 5:54 AM

The old LaLaurie house in New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 187April 29, 2018 6:16 AM

I grew up in Mexico City. My friends and I went to visit, but I chickened out. They didn't go too far in either because "they didn't want me to miss out". It's so effin creepy. I was also 13, and was terrified of Chucky so maybe that's why I bitched out. It's called La Isla de Las MuƱecas. It's become a bit touristy now, so I'd probably be okay visiting as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 188April 29, 2018 6:28 AM

And, R25, if anyone has gone there, they never came out.

by Anonymousreply 189April 29, 2018 6:43 AM

Neverland

by Anonymousreply 190April 29, 2018 3:49 PM

Sites where massacres have taken place are haunted.

by Anonymousreply 191May 5, 2019 4:28 PM

by Anonymousreply 192May 11, 2021 4:13 AM

I donā€™t like large things that loom. Visited Seattle once and Rainier just looms over it like a bad nightmare. Low level anxiety that entire trip.

by Anonymousreply 193May 11, 2021 4:35 AM

In Oregon:

anywhere along Highway 20 from Sweet Home to Tombstone Pass. Thereā€™s an eerie feeling in this area. There was a serial killer here a couple decades ago, but recently thereā€™s been what seems like another one because female bodies have been found.

anywhere up near Estacada/Eagle Creek. I am a native Oregonian and feel completely comfortable in the woods, but the woods in this area are just super dark and chilling. People seem batshit crazy that live there too. Lots of meth and murders.

Highway 101 between Florence and Yachats. A windy, lonely highway that curves the cliffs high above the angry Pacific Ocean. Heceta Head Lighthouse is haunted, they say. Many ships crashed and sank back in the day in the ocean. Older people from out of state purchase large hillside homes once they retire...and these homes just seem super eerie. Such a desolate stretch of highway.

by Anonymousreply 194May 11, 2021 5:01 AM

The only place I've had an actual paranormal experience, the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, isn't scary at all. Bright, airy, elegant. I'd recommend staying there, actually.

I've spent a late night/early morning before Halloween wandering up and down the Vegas Strip by myself and never felt any fear or unease. Just uncomfortable heat that made me feel grubby until my hotel room opened. Similarly, St. Louis and even East St. Louis have never bothered me, aside from the traffic.

I once stayed at an AYH youth hostel in New Orleans that creeped me out so much I spent the night sitting in a chair in the kitchen rather than in the room where my bed was located. It was like squatting in an abandoned bunkhouse with wind whistling through cracks in the walls and bugs skittering in the dark. If I'd known how bad the vibe was beforehand I'd have just put my car in a brightly-lit parking lot and slept there instead. It would have been more restful.

by Anonymousreply 195May 11, 2021 6:08 AM

The Devil's Tramping Ground near Siler City, North Carolina.

If you visit, say hello to Aunt Bee and Opie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196May 11, 2021 6:34 AM

Berlin has weird corners. I walked through a square and smelled burning paper. No apparent source, but come to find out it was the site of a big Nazi book burning.

by Anonymousreply 197May 11, 2021 4:46 PM

Downtown Charleston, South Caroline. Lovely, but very old and a bit shabby around the edges, and maybe it was the cloudy day but wandering around gave me a haunted feeling. The place was built by slaves and has every right to be full of unhappy ghosts.

And that's why I have no desire to visit New Orleans!

by Anonymousreply 198May 11, 2021 7:25 PM

I once parked in the rear of a complex of colonial era buildings, waiting to collect my father who was attending a meeting on site.

I sat in the car and felt the most creeping sense of dread. After my father got in the car and we drove away, he told me the spot we had parked in had been the site of overflow storage for the bodies of executed prisoners awaiting dissection at the ancient city hospital.

by Anonymousreply 199February 16, 2022 7:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!