Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Adults Who Hate Vegetables

Ever met any?

I was at a dinner last Saturday with a straight couple in their early 40s. She has several kids from a previous relationship, and they both proudly proclaim to "hate all vegetables." They were served some(simple peas and carrots) and shoved them aside with disgusted faces. They also felt the wholewheat pasta was "too healthy." Really, the taste of 4-year-olds.

by Anonymousreply 227June 4, 2019 4:40 PM

I have trouble dealing with people who have complete babytastes, it makes going out to dinner or having dinner parties too difficult.

I mean really, what kind of adult refuses to eat vegetables? Purely from a health standpoint if nothing else it is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2012 6:22 PM

They both should have held down and force fed sauerkraut or kimchi, their choice.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2012 6:28 PM

I don't eat any fruits or vegetables. I have a mental block and literally have a gag reflex if I try. I can drink vegetable/fruit juice, but I cannot handle the texture or anything else involved with eating the actual whole food. I wish I wasn't this way, I've even considered trying hypnosis to try and get over it. It's just so deeply engrained in me. I'm also freaked out at the thought of fruits being a plant's sex organs.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2012 6:33 PM

I force myself to eat them, but I still hate them.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2012 6:34 PM

YUSS.

I was just on vacation with my brother, who only eats, and I am not kidding: applesauce, bagels, bread sticks, corn, French fries, grilled cheese sandwiches, mashed potatoes, pancakes, peanut butter, pizza, plain spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese, and whole milk (gag!).

It was nearly impossible to find anyplace for us to eat, and we were eating out 3 meals per day. Misery.

Ironically, on the last day, he was going on and on about being "soooooo ready" to get home for "real food."

At the time, I was eating turkey chili and a Cobb salad, a perfectly "real" meal, while he was eating the plain spaghetti.

I nearly gagged on the lettuce, from trying not to laugh in his stupid face.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2012 6:38 PM

I admit, I'm particular about what I eat. To top it off I'm vegetarian, so that magnifies my finickiness. Needless to say, this makes choosing a restaurant that will accommodate me or attending a dinner party a hassle. My brother jokes that I was poisoned in a past life, and other family members insist it's a control thing 'cause I've never felt in control of my life. Whatever. The point of the matter is, there are foods and even vegetables I just won't eat. Absolutely no meat, fish, or poultry of any kind. As for vegetables I loathe onions (they make me retch), any tomatoes, carrots, zucchini.

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2012 6:40 PM

They found their soul-mate (unless the frau is so codependent she's arresteddevelopmentbyproxy - my new diagnosis).

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2012 6:45 PM

"The taste of four year olds" is just like chicken.

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2012 6:50 PM

I think I kept my contempt from George Bush hidden during his days in office.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2012 6:57 PM

There are some vegetables I cannot eat. Mushrooms (what the hell are they?)for the texture, zucchini, beets, eggplant (it's revolting looking and tasting) and cabbage. However, if I encounter them at a dinner party I can usually muddle through. I usually eat around the mushrooms. I love celery, peas, beans, cucumbers, asparagus, cauliflower and avocados though. One of my favorite dinners is stuffed avocados.

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2012 7:10 PM

r3 and especially r6 really annoy me.

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2012 7:11 PM

How do you stuff an avocado?

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2012 7:14 PM

My best friend is sort of like this. He refuses to eat anything with tomato. Ketchup, marinara, anything. Same with a "sauce". Everything is dry. And he hates lettuce. And pickles. And any meat other than chicken and turkey. And all fish. And beets, cauliflower, and corn. Though he will eat spinach (NO OLIVE OIL however) and broccoli. I love him to death, but going out to eat with him is, well, an adventure. The good thing is, he knows he's finicky and always jokes with the waiter to "get him ready" then tips really, really big.

I'm no foodie, but lord. It's like sucking a dick that isn't up to your standard. Just shut up and swallow and hope for better next time.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2012 7:17 PM

What would you expect from people who have kids in a relationship. They're both just a couple of whores with no sense of decency. Before anyone shoves his or her legs up for sex resulting in pregnancy, they should be sterilized.

Who gives a fuck about their desires for or against vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2012 7:21 PM

My nephew is in his mid 20's, very obese, will not touch a vegetable or salad. He likes to consider himself a foodie.

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2012 7:22 PM

You basically halve avocado, remove pit, stuff with seasoned, cooked chicken, beef or shrimp, queso fresco, put avocado back together and secure with toothpicks. Roll in seasoned bread crumbs and fry quickly. There are variations and it's very popular in TX.

by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2012 7:23 PM

r14 is deranged.

by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2012 7:23 PM

Are they fat, OP?

I wish I liked vegetables more. I eat them, but I really do prefer meat and carbs. But if I lived on meat and carbs I'd gain 100 lbs and die young.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2012 7:24 PM

Guess what, they can't think either. And who wants to have sex with them.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2012 7:27 PM

We all live in Ireland (which might explain a thing or two.) The couple in question is not fat - they're both a healthy weight, in fact. Both are chain smokers and quite heavy drinkers. A pack of 20 cigarettes costs more than €9 here, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2012 7:35 PM

I absolutely loathe brussell sprouts and lentils, but other than that, I will eat pretty much all vegtables.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2012 7:46 PM

One of the women I work with won't eat vegetables either, but she makes it seem like some cutesy, quirky, thing and isn't she just sooo friggen adorable because of it. We all either bring our lunch or go out to get it, and don't talk to eachother much about what we're eating but she has to comment about everyone's food, and how she could NEVER eat what are eating. A lot of us have started eating at our desks, or taking our lunch earlier or later, just to avoid her.

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2012 7:50 PM

So apparently this is a thing now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2012 7:51 PM

Some of this I blame on parenting. If parents at least put foods in front of their kids and get them to try eating different things chances are the kids will have a much better variety. Feeding them nothing but mac and cheese and chicken nuggets makes fat kids who grow into adults with child-like tastes.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2012 8:03 PM

My husband is like this, and it makes any sense of food adventure unattainable. Most vegetables gross him out mainly due to the texture. It is the most fucking Annoying thing. The worst part is the things he WILL consume. Won't eat a fresh or cooked tomato ever, but will buy and drink store brand tomato juice, which is loaded with even more sodium and preservatives than v8. Is grossed out by any amount of pulp in orange juice, but will drink Sunny Delight like it's being discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2012 8:15 PM

I can't imagine being proud of baby tastes. I grew up in foodie culture, where being eager to try new foods or new cuisines is considered to be sophisticated.

So why are people proud of such limited palates? Of course I understand how annoying we foodies can be, do these people think of themself as proudly standing up against the foodies?

by Anonymousreply 26August 27, 2012 8:16 PM

A vegetarian who "loathes onions (they make me retch), any tomatoes, carrots, zucchini."

Jesus Christ, you have food issues.

by Anonymousreply 27August 27, 2012 8:17 PM

[quote]It was nearly impossible to find anyplace for us to eat, and we were eating out 3 meals per day. Misery.

Well that's absurd. Why are you accommodating him?

There are basic staples I won't eat, but I'd never let that get in the way of going out to eat. That's juts rude to others.

by Anonymousreply 28August 27, 2012 8:23 PM

Yes Op, I believe you. I believe you went to a dinner on Saturday and the vegetable served was peas and carrots.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2012 8:26 PM

[quote]Is grossed out by any amount of pulp in orange juice, but will drink Sunny Delight like it's being discontinued.

I'm like that with OJ. Don't like it, especially the pulp, which is odd 'cause I otherwise love other citrus juices (i.e. lemonade, grapefruit juice) and I love the pulp in those. But I can't stand oranges or its juice.

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2012 8:28 PM

These babytastes people tend to be very precious snowflakes, with the accent on the second syllable. They also tend to be fairly stupid in general.

by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2012 8:29 PM

[quote]You basically halve avocado, remove pit, stuff with seasoned, cooked chicken, beef or shrimp, queso fresco, put avocado back together and secure with toothpicks. Roll in seasoned bread crumbs and fry quickly. There are variations and it's very popular in TX.

That sounds... interesting. So is the skin left on when they fry it? Does it become edible then?

by Anonymousreply 32August 27, 2012 8:30 PM

Bear in mind I live in IRELAND, R29. And there were a couple of young children present.

by Anonymousreply 33August 27, 2012 8:31 PM

You peel it of course R32.

by Anonymousreply 34August 27, 2012 8:35 PM

Everyone accuses Vegans of being dogmatic about food but I've never met any Vegan or Vegetarian who was as obstinate and loud-mouthed and opinionated about what everyone else was eating as an adult who hates vegetables and can't stand anything outside of a meat/potato menu.

I know a few of this type and Jesus, do they have to be out loud about it.

MY Friend's GF: "What is THAT? Asparagus??? Oh MY GOD. GIVE ME SOME FRIES! I hate green stuff! " She continues to rant about how it smells, what your pee will be like, etc. Nobody asked her.

or My father-in-law: "Good lord give me some bar-b-que! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE MISSING! " He continues to go on and make fun of those who won't eat any meat.

No - the small-minded meat and potato only person is the loudest of them all.

by Anonymousreply 35August 27, 2012 8:42 PM

Americans post- 1950 are ruined for good vegetables. Many people alive today have never tasted an organic tomato, or any greens beside iceberg.

It makes a difference, when you were raised in a world where your burger that holds a slice of carbon-induced red cardboard as a 'tomato', and wilted green paper as 'lettuce' , you're not inclined to investigate much beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 36August 27, 2012 8:46 PM

Childish adults eat like children.

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2012 8:46 PM

I consider all fruit to be divine, some even more so than others (blackberries & raspberries vs. strawberries & blueberries, for example).

I do have a list of vegetables that make me retch, but it's pretty short: stringbeans, lima beans, kidney beans, beets. There are a lot of other vegetables that I never choose but can eat around & they don't ruin a dish for me (e.g.: asparagus, artichokes, okra, green bell peppers, turnips, cooked peas). Everything else ranges from at least OK (e.g.: parsnips, eggplant) to outstanding (e.g.: tomatoes, spuds, onions, garlic, carrots, mushrooms).

More than one poster so far has expressed loathing for zucchini, which I don't understand at all. It's bland in both taste & texture -- which makes it ideal for mixing with strong flavors like garlic & adding to stuff like quiche -- not to mention magnificent things like zucchini cinnamon bread & zucchini chocolate cake! Even if you don't love it in any of these various forms, it just seems too innocuous to have strong opinions about.

by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2012 8:54 PM

Yes, I have a friend who will actually send food back if any vegetable she dislikes have been included. (Irish as well, OP!) And believe me, the list of vegetables she DOES like would be easier to rattle off. Her idea of vegetables is a wedge of iceberg smothered in creamy dressing with bacon bits. She isn't overweight, just exceedingly unhealthy and has many issue I'm sure would be lessened were she to eat like a normal adult.

Her husband is the same way. In his case, I think it might not be dislike of vegetables, but pure laziness. He eats what's available, i.e. what she cooks or what he can pick up when he's at work.

Like her, he has tons of health problems but isn't overweight.

She seems almost PROUD to hate vegetables, and I don't think it's a taste thing, more of a "you can't make me eat healthfully!" attitude. I really don't understand it. Especially since there are many vegetables she claims to despise, but will eat if they are beer battered, fried, and presented with a dipping sauce made of fat and sin.

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2012 8:57 PM

This is almost exclusively a male thing. Very rare for a female to have the "I absolutely refuse to eat any fruits or vegetables or condiments" food avoidance.

Females more often go on regimented diets, either for weight loss, or because they have become vegetarian/vegan, or because they believe a certain food causes a disease or condition (celiac disease/gluten intolerance, arthritis, MS). Or they will eat certain foods because they believe they have magical health benefits (soy, raw coconut milk, tofu, bean sprouts, organic whatever). The females talk about their food preferences and dislikes, which makes them seem like picky eaters. Tje makes who have food avoidance issues never talk about it. They just don't eat more than a few foods. It's not an issue with them; it's an issue with the people around them. "I ain't eating it and that's that."

I have 40+ cousins and they have more than 100 children between them, plus I have friends and acquaintances with children. I guess I've known about 500 kids very well during my lifetime and adamant food avoidances are always male and begin in childhood. Lower income kids grow out of it but middle class and upper class kids don't, because their parents can afford to coddle them and obey their food directives.

A friend of my husband allows her 12 year old son to eat nothing but peanut butter sandwiches, pizza, bagels, pizza-bagel bites and miso soup. The miso soup is because the family goes to lots of Japanese and Asian fusion restaurants because their uncle works in Asia and recently married an Asian woman. They visit him overseas. The kid got hungry enough in the restaurants to eat miso soup (but will not eat plain white rice, which is kind of weird. Usually, boys with food avoidance will eat nothing but plain white rice in Asian restaurants).

Personally, I don't eat tomatoes, eggplant, avacado, or mushrooms. I like mushrooms, but they hate me. I just don't like the others. I like cooked broccoli but detest raw broccoli. Same with cauliflower. The cruciates are difficult enough on the digestive system; eating them raw is painful to me.

by Anonymousreply 40August 27, 2012 9:01 PM

I wouldn't eat most vegetables until I started college, and it wasn't for lack of trying on my parents part. I remember when I was seven my mother made a dinner of meatloaf, carrots, and potatoes. I couldn't stand any of those (to this day, I still dislike them), so I refused to eat them. She decided to make a stand and told me I wasn't allowed to eat anything else until I ate the dinner she had made. I held out for over three days before caving and eating it.

Now, I do eat vegetables, but I'm not a huge fan. I do love trying new foods, however, it's just that I normally don't enjoy vegetable dishes. I also find that I tend to like ethnic food over traditional American fare (for example, still hating meatloaf).

by Anonymousreply 41August 27, 2012 9:03 PM

There are ways to cook almost anything to make it taste good. Some people who "hate vegetables" have only had them boiled to death until they are inedible, or otherwise ruined.

Herbs and seasonings are our friends.

by Anonymousreply 42August 27, 2012 9:47 PM

I had a friend who went a date with a guy, everything was going well until the food arrived and she noticed he wasnt eating his vegetables. She asked why and he said "I dont like them" She said that he couldnt dislike all vegtables as they dont all taste the same. He insisted that other then potato, which he liked fried, he really didn't like any. He thought it was funny, she was horrified. She said he suddenly seemed so uncultured and boring. He hadn't progressed past the eight year old he once was.

At the end of the date she told him she couldn't see him again because she couldn't date an adult whose taste buds were so immature he couldn't distinguish carrot from pumpkin from artichoke. What kind of man/child was he? If she ever had to cook for him what would she cook? She couldnt be with an adult who looked at asparagus as the enemy. She ended it, much to his atonishment, right there outside the restaurant. We all cheered her the next day.

by Anonymousreply 43August 27, 2012 9:59 PM

Yes, zucchini and okra are abominable to me no matter how they are cooked or herbed or spiced.

by Anonymousreply 44August 27, 2012 10:01 PM

The Irish aren't big on vegetables because they were made to plant potatoes for 2 or 3 hundred years and nothing else.

Until recently, cabbage was the most plentiful vegetable in Europe. Poland, Germany, Austria, Russia, France ... cabbage was the most plentiful vegetable for the poor and the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 45August 27, 2012 10:05 PM

[quote]At the end of the date she told him she couldn't see him again because she couldn't date an adult whose taste buds were so immature he couldn't distinguish carrot from pumpkin from artichoke. What kind of man/child was he? If she ever had to cook for him what would she cook? She couldnt be with an adult who looked at asparagus as the enemy. She ended it, much to his atonishment, right there outside the restaurant. We all cheered her the next day.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 46August 27, 2012 10:06 PM

God you people are sad. The only thing more annoying than adults who hate vegetables are people who make a BIG DEAL about adults who hate vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 47August 27, 2012 10:14 PM

Some of the pickiest eaters I know are also some of the fattest people I know. My partner's sister will not eat any vegetables (she's overweight, as are her husband and kid, who are both equally as picky) except for potatoes and corn. My partner can be a little picky with some vegetables, but there are several that she thought she hated--until I cooked them fresh for her the proper way, as opposed to the nasty stuff in cans. Now she loves zucchini, eggplant and peas which she previously hated (she still hates mushrooms though, and will only tolerate celery when it's cooked. Oh well) What gets me the most annoyed is that the sister in law and her husband are both so rude about it--at thanksgiving they actually had the audacity to "ewwww!" some of the food on the table (peas with mushrooms, string beans, sweet potatoes). I got so annoyed that I basically yelled "no one is forcing you to eat anything you don't like, there's plenty here that you DO eat". And there was--corn, mashed potatoes, two kinds of stuffing, of course turkey, etc. It was the childish "ewww" that pissed me off--just don't it. No one is holding a gun to your head. The height of rudeness.

I have another friend (also very overweight), we went to New Orleans together a few years back, and all she would eat the entire time was fried shrimp and fried chicken with fries. THAT'S IT. She didn't even try any of the wonderful gumbo, jambalaya, etc because it had vegetables in it (typically just onion, pepper and celery). Then another time we went to a wonderful Italian restaurant in our city, a more upscale place that's very traditionally Italian (as opposed to Italian American). Anyway, when she ordered, she actually asked the waiter if they could use garlic powder instead of real garlic. The waiter looked confused, I looked embarrassed, he replied that he didn't think they had any but that he'd check. He checked and, sure enough, they did not have garlic powder back there (which is a good thing, quite frankly)

It's embarrassing going places with her and I will only go with her to the few places that we both agree on. It's annoying and so very, very childish.

by Anonymousreply 48August 27, 2012 10:18 PM

R44, can you describe what it is about zucchini that you hate? I know okra is slimy when prepared certain ways, but zucchini is just bland (until livened up with garlic or cinnamon, etc).

by Anonymousreply 49August 27, 2012 10:27 PM

I know someone with very strange dietary restrictions. He will not eat any kind of condiments. He will not eat tomatoes in any shape or form, including spaghetti sauce. And he will not eat corn if it is off the cob, but he will if it is still on the cob. Plus he's an attention whore on facebook. Is there some connection to all this weirdness?

by Anonymousreply 50August 27, 2012 10:32 PM

yes, R50 - he is childish

by Anonymousreply 51August 27, 2012 10:36 PM

R6 is insufferable.

Hate picky, unadventerous eaters who pick at their plates like spoiled children.

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2012 10:39 PM

I think those people who have the taste buds of 5-year-old children must have had parents who were horrible cooks. I have to think that they just never tasted any of these vegetables made the proper way.

As a child, I remember hating onions. My mother had no patience for cooking, and was usually on the phone, instead of watching whatever she was cooking. So a lot of the time, when she was cooking onions, half of the onions would be uncooked, while the other half were blackened. The combo was bitter and burnt - absolutely vile!! But when I was old enough, I had French onion soup at a restaurant. It changed everything for me. I wanted to make this at home (queer teenager), so I figured out how to cook onions properly. Today I love onions. Half of what I cook has onions in it. People can change! But it helps to be queer and adventurous.

by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2012 10:40 PM

I like vegetables, especially broccoli, peas and salads, but I rarely eat them. My health is suffering because of it.

by Anonymousreply 54August 27, 2012 10:43 PM

My dad won't eat vegetables. I tried to get him to sign up for one of those programs where a local farm brings you a batch of them every week and he came up with about 35 excuses as to why that would just be impossible and eventually I gave up. He lives almost entirely on microwaveable pasta goo and McDonald's (I'm 31 and he mails me the happy meal toys) and the odd bologna on white bread sandwich. He's thin and Irish and a total nut job. He quit smoking and drinking over 15 years ago and now won't even take aspirin because he doesn't want it to alter his thinking.

by Anonymousreply 55August 27, 2012 10:46 PM

Taste buds of alcoholics are usually deadened...maybe this has something to do with it

by Anonymousreply 56August 27, 2012 10:47 PM

Yes, my father is like that. He hates all vegetables except for starchy ones like peas and potatoes. He also won't eat poultry and the only kind of red meat he eats is hamburgers. He hates tomato sauce as well. He's a very fussy and unhealthy eater.

by Anonymousreply 57August 27, 2012 10:50 PM

Grow your own!

by Anonymousreply 58August 27, 2012 10:52 PM

R56, but do they stay dead for 15 years after quitting? Even less than a week after quitting smoking my senses of taste and smell returned.

by Anonymousreply 59August 27, 2012 10:58 PM

[quote]Lower income kids grow out of it but middle class and upper class kids don't, because their parents can afford to coddle them and obey their food directives.

That's a crock. My family has always been markedly upper-middle class, and my younger brother grew up with extremely finicky food tastes that he later outgrew. For one period in his early childhood he ONLY ate mayonnaise sandwiches. Yes, I do mean just mayo and Wonder Bread. By high school his tastes had expanded, but he still refused to eat ALL vegetables except for carrots. Today, however, in his late 30s, he eats just about everything, including most vegetables. He used to eat solely American food, but later -- after living in multicultural places like Washington, D.C. and Chicago -- he learned to love ethnic food, Thai and Cambodian in particular. So yes: plenty of people DO outgrow their phobias of certain foods.

As for people I know, most eat normal diets. I have one friend last year who decided to switch to a gluten-free diet -- not because she was intolerant to it, but because she believed it gave her much more energy and made her much less hungry. She subsequently lost 30 pounds and kept it off, so I'd have to say it's working for her!

by Anonymousreply 60August 27, 2012 11:05 PM

My boss is like this, although he doesn't make a fuss about it. But when he sees me at my desk eating a salad he makes a crack about "rabbit food". I've been out to many company lunches and dinners with him and he never orders salad. Not sure if he finishes his veggies - will have to check next time!

I was a very picky eater as a child but got over most of my dislikes as I got older. I still hate tomatoes and coconut.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2012 11:08 PM

[quote]I also find that I tend to like ethnic food over traditional American fare (for example, still hating meatloaf).

Please tell me you're not a stranger to vegetarian indian cooking. It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 62August 27, 2012 11:08 PM

Cool stories, bros.

by Anonymousreply 63August 27, 2012 11:08 PM

People, this thread is about adults who hate ALL vegetables. Please don't bother sharing that you hate SOME vegetables like Brussels sprouts or whatever. I seriously doubt many people like ALL vegetables, myself certainly included. People who don't like ANY vegetables, however, are a unique phenomenon and one worthy of addressing. I agree somewhat that it's both a class thing and a parenting thing.

Also, we don't really care if you have X friend who's a finicky eater who doesn't like Y foods. Again, this thread is about non-vegetable eaters, not finicky eaters in general.

by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2012 11:08 PM

I have vegetables with every meal. There isn't any dinner item I think doesn't taste better with vegetables. I don't eat them separately, I always mix them in with the main course. I'm surprised I even developed a taste for spinach, which I wouldn't have thought possible as a kid. But it's fine, just mix it in. When I cook frozen pizza, I always have to top it with lots of vegetables. Tomatoes and/or broccoli or spinach, peas etc, will roll off. The one vegetable I avoid is corn, not because I dislike the taste, but its nutritional content is marginal compared to green vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 65August 27, 2012 11:10 PM

[quote]So why are people proud of such limited palates? Of course I understand how annoying we foodies can be, do these people think of themself as proudly standing up against the foodies?

They're threatened. It's usually all about social class, or it is in my office.

I work with A LOT of these people, and they get very upset when anyone isn't eating the same bland crap they prefer.

by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2012 11:10 PM

When I was a kid, I was a very picky eater. I wouldn't touch vegetables. Of course, my mother was a lousy cook and used nasty frozen chopped broccoli and canned green beans, but I was expected to 'clean my plate.' There were many fights and I spent many hours over cold, nasty veggies until I finally ate them.

My mother never made me eat peas, though, because she didn't like them and she thought it would be hypocritical to make me eat them.

Today, I eat every veggie - except peas. I can't stomach them. I try to pick them out of foods that contain them. I guess my mother did the right thing to force me to eat my veggies.

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2012 11:12 PM

If someone hates Brussel Sprouts and you want to get them to try it, try this, it works for me.

Buy fresh, not frozen, slice off the 'base', then quarter them, so they are tiny, bite size. A lot of people who eat Brussel Sprouts will just pop one in their mouth, but it's too big and tastes too much like a mouthful of cabbage that way and people then give up, so they need to be TINY bites. Some leaves will come off when you quarter them but that's okay, just throw them in the batch as well.

Saute the whole batch in butter. Sprinkle vegetable seasoning over it and add pine nuts.

The butter softens it, and adds a distinctive taste much better than just boiling or steaming them, the seasoning changes the taste and the pine nuts add crunch. It doesn't even taste like Brussell Sprouts and even finicky people will try them.

You can change most any vegetable as to where it doesn't taste like itself anymore. With the exception of the butter, the vegetable serving still remained healthy. If health isn't a factor, you can do broccoli in cheese sauce, make a spicy asian carrot slaw, and totally change the taste of the food.

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2012 11:14 PM

R66, no they aren't. They just don't like them. I think many of them are also supertasters so what tastes good to you with your crippled taste buds tastes awful to them because they can actually taste it.

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2012 11:20 PM

There isn't much I won't eat when it comes to vegetables and fruits.

In fact the only vegetable I cannot abide is okra.

Everything else, I love. There are the flavorants: peppers, onions, garlic, leeks, anise.

Then the veggies cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli rabe, broccoli, carrots, corn, potato, spinach, and the list goes on.

Fruit wise it's berries, peaches, apples, pineapple, and more.

by Anonymousreply 70August 27, 2012 11:23 PM

Reading through this people are really finicky! Tomato products? Seriously?

Other things I like: Collard Greens, kale, swiss chard

I love garlic, eggplant, olives (black, green, and others!) and pickled peppers, dill pickle, spicy pickles, etc.

by Anonymousreply 71August 27, 2012 11:26 PM

Speaking of zucchini, does anyone know why it tastes so bitter sometimes?

by Anonymousreply 72August 27, 2012 11:26 PM

[quote]I think those people who have the taste buds of 5-year-old children must have had parents who were horrible cooks. I have to think that they just never tasted any of these vegetables made the proper way.

I agree. My mom boiled vegetables until they were soggy mush, which ruined them all -- Brussels sprouts also became bitter with this treatment, so I particularly hated those.

Then when I was about 35, I encountered them on the side of my plate at a restaurant -- lightly steamed, just sprinkled with lemon juice, sea salt, & coarse black pepper. They looked & smelled so good I tried a tiny bite & loved them! Now I fix them all the time, either steamed or roasted -- boiling was the problem, not the vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 73August 27, 2012 11:27 PM

R68, the mere stench of Brussels sprouts makes me retch. I highly doubt even a specialized cooking method can change that basic fact.

by Anonymousreply 74August 27, 2012 11:29 PM

Jesus H. Christ - someone wouldn't like the chili I have simmering right now. It's got carrots, tomato sauce, kidney beans and bell peppers in it. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 75August 27, 2012 11:30 PM

Brussels Sprouts are a sticking point. Me, I can eat em' raw, cooked any which way. I love the taste.

But the SO's favorite way that I cook them is to halve them, season with salt, pepper, garlic, maybe even herb de provence etc. Then heat up 1tbsp unsalted butter and 1tbsp olive oil in a pan on high heat. Place the halved sprout down on the cut/seasoned side. Leave it in the hot pan for about 3 minutes.

Then give it a shuffle and flip the sprouts over. Wait another 3 minutes. Then dump in your favorite red wine, about 4 or 5 tbsp and cover it and let it steam in the wine.

They rock that way!

by Anonymousreply 76August 27, 2012 11:35 PM

My partner hated brussels sprouts, too, until I cooked them for him. I bought the sprouts from a farm stand and they were still on the stem. I cut them off and cooked them immediately - halved or quartered (depending on the size) - quickly sauteing them in a bit of bacon fat.

Brussels sprouts start to develop that stinky cabbage taste almost immediately after being picked. They do not have that nasty smell if they are very fresh.

Can I come to dinner Lucifer? I love homemade chili and yours sounds delish.

by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2012 11:40 PM

Boiling is sometimes the best way to prepare vegetables, though r73. I only like green beans boiled, it's the only way to get them properly softened.

by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2012 11:42 PM

Were they great big fat people,OP?

by Anonymousreply 79August 27, 2012 11:43 PM

I've never liked canned vegetables and that's mostly what we had when I was very young

by Anonymousreply 80August 27, 2012 11:46 PM

Lucifer, I want to come for dinner, too. You sound like a fabulous cook. Your SO is a lucky man.

by Anonymousreply 81August 27, 2012 11:46 PM

Me too, R77 -- you guys can keep the chili (no kidney beans for me) but I want those Brussels sprouts!

by Anonymousreply 82August 27, 2012 11:46 PM

My Dad always insisted that I try new foods & dinner was what was served. My Mom was not big on substitutions.

Years later I have an adventurous palate. I am a vegan, but can always find something to eat...even at a steakhouse. The whiny vanilla eaters are boring, and also the reason some consider Applebee's and the Olive Garden a fine dining experience.

People who want try any ethnic food is my personal pet peeve

by Anonymousreply 83August 27, 2012 11:46 PM

I have a 59 yr old male friend who does not eat vegetables on any regular basis.

He hardly ever eats vegetables.

He looks 13 years older than his age of 59 - he could easily pass for age 72 or 73.

The lack of proper nutrition for the past almost 40 years has ruined his looks and aged him.

I find him ridiculous and mentally deficient for not eating vegetables. And he will never prepare a meal for himself.

To be honest, it infuriates me because it is so juvenile and a sign of arrested development and so lacking in good judgment.

by Anonymousreply 84August 27, 2012 11:59 PM

[quote]I've never liked canned vegetables and that's mostly what we had when I was very young

Even beans, R80? I generally dislike canned vegetables as well, but whole beans out of a can (black, kidney, navy, etc.) are vastly preferable to me than buying them dry and soaking them forever to soften them up.

by Anonymousreply 85August 28, 2012 12:04 AM

"I think those people who have the taste buds of 5-year-old children must have had parents who were horrible cooks."

Nope, my parents were the worst cooks ever and I grew up to be a foodie. When I got out of my parents house and finally tasted some decent food, it was like a miracle! I had no idea how wonderful the things I'd hated as a child could be in the hands of a competent cook! I've even tried all the things I hated as a kid, just so see if my palate had changed. In about half the cases, yes, I could tolerate or even like the things I used to hate.

Some food sensitivies are genetic, some people find that more things taste "bad" than others, there are a few people who who can't abide lots of common tastes and there's nothing to be done about it. However, I think control issues and being spoiled as children are more common.

by Anonymousreply 86August 28, 2012 12:08 AM

Beans would be the exception R85 but we almost never ate them as just beans.

by Anonymousreply 87August 28, 2012 12:13 AM

You'll eat it, and you'll like it.

by Anonymousreply 88August 28, 2012 12:49 AM

I agree R86, I know a family of 10 kids whose mother could barely boil water. Four of them up grew up to be chefs. Only the eldest son is uninterested in food. As someone else said earlier, I think you have to get to a certain point where you realize that steamed vegetables are pretty ordinary fare and you need to try them in other ways or you're left with a pretty bland menu.

by Anonymousreply 89August 28, 2012 12:50 AM

I'm with R86: my mom wasn't a terrible cook so much as someone with too little spare time, as a single parent who worked full-time, to spend much time on it. Consequently, we ate the same easy-to-prepare staples all the time, as well as a fair amount of fast food.

Today, however, I'm a total foodie, and my now-retired mother is slowly becoming one as well. She wouldn't even *consider* eating something as basic as sushi even a few years ago; today she knows how to make her own rolls!

by Anonymousreply 90August 28, 2012 12:52 AM

I'm sort of an apprentice foodie. But I lose all enthusiasm in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 91August 28, 2012 1:03 AM

I don't socialize with people who are retarded.

by Anonymousreply 92August 28, 2012 1:08 AM

This would make the veggie panzies and meat panzies have a fit. I made it this evening. A nice, spicy chili with onions, carrots, garlic, peppers, kidney beans, chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, beef stock, tomato sauce and nice tart apple cider vinegar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 28, 2012 2:22 AM

R81: I learned a lot of cooking skills over time.

And I discovered all sorts of recipe sites. But I've gained enough skill to improvise too.

And two of my favorite dishes and the ones that get most compliments are:

1) Pork chops with sour cream and dill sauce

and

2) Chicken, leek and mushroom fricassee.

by Anonymousreply 94August 28, 2012 2:24 AM

I'm told I have a well developed sense of umami. It's the savory/bitter side.

Probably explains why I love brussels sprouts, cabbages, broccoli (All variants!).

And not only both my parents could cook, but my grandparents on both side were also excellent cooks.

And from my great grandfather on my mothers side I got my engineering skills at an early age. Learned how to solder wires together at age 6 and never stopped, and expanded my skill set.

To the point where when our TV went - I knew it had to be the power supply. Put a new one in and the TV works.

by Anonymousreply 95August 28, 2012 2:29 AM

I love vegetables and often make a meal of them.

My favorite way to prepare brussels sprouts is to halve them, put them cut side up, sprinkle with good olive oil and a little coarsely ground salt and roast them in the oven until their tops are a little browned. I generally make this when I'm alone as a special treat for myself.

I won't cook for picky eaters. I simply refuse. Life is too short. They can either fend for themselves or do without. I sometimes check out cooking sites for preparation methods and the reviews often start, "My husband won't eat..." I can't imagine pandering to a grown-up baby. I have a sister like that. She's the only one in our family for whom my mother would make a special meal because she wouldn't eat regular food. My mother was a wonderful cook so that wasn't the problem; I think she liked getting special attention.

The only vegetable I will not eat is green bell peppers, but they started it. I sometimes eat food that contains them, but I pay for it afterward. They're truly vicious, a vegetable that goes on attack for hours.

by Anonymousreply 96August 28, 2012 3:36 AM

Can't deal with brussell sprouts or lima beans but I enjoy most other vegetables and fruit. I spent a lot of time outside the U.S. and tried a lot of things in other nations that we don't have here. There were some unusual vegetables in Sierra Leone and Gambia and some fantastic melons in Turkey. For the melons, it was not only the taste that was unique, it was the bright colors - light blue, light pink.

by Anonymousreply 97August 28, 2012 3:39 AM

I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to say "hate" but Claus didn't speak to me much, you know, afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 98August 28, 2012 3:56 AM

It's funny - I'm also very stubborn. As a kid I had a few allergies with regard to stone fruits.

Of course they would be my favorite fruits including peaches, cherries, etc.

But I insisted, even as a ten year old, that we drug it away. That way I could eat the foods I loved.

by Anonymousreply 99August 28, 2012 3:00 PM

Macaroni and cheese is my favorite vegetable followed by corn.

by Anonymousreply 100August 28, 2012 3:44 PM

I hate all brassica, but I will eat practically anything put before me at a dinner party. You can always pepper a sprout into taste oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 101August 28, 2012 4:28 PM

Don't let them use your toilet!

by Anonymousreply 102August 28, 2012 4:34 PM

I met one, he was thin. Lived to be 83 or 84. Loved hotdogs and ate them more than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 103August 28, 2012 4:40 PM

I have a friend who will only eat meat. The vegetables must only be corn and potatoes. He won't even eat spaghetti sauce. I don't want to know what his colon is like.

by Anonymousreply 104August 28, 2012 5:14 PM

R104, when was the last time he had a bowel movement? Was it in the last decade?

by Anonymousreply 105August 28, 2012 5:31 PM

Fussy eaters are usually narcissistic nutjobs who are desperate for attention.

by Anonymousreply 106August 28, 2012 5:47 PM

I don't eat a lot of vegetables either, and I agree that it's somewhat to do with texture, though for me, more to do with smell. I do eat many vegetables (lettuce of all sorts, uncooked spinach, onions, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and celery) and will eat a few more if they aren't cooked, though I don't necessarily enjoy them (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), but there are many I just simply can't eat: Greens, corn, squash (I don't even like pumpkin pie), okra, peas or beans of any sort. I also can't stand even the smell of many types of seafood. I can eat fish and shrimp if they're prepared the right way (fried only!) and even then, only if they have copious amounts of breading and don't taste too "fishy," and I still have to use plenty of sauce. For that reason, I mostly avoid seafood since the only way I eat it is if it's prepared in the least healthy manner possible. I used to eat tuna as a kid, but I can't even stomach it anymore.

I read somewhere that "super tasters" (yes, it's a thing) have a lot of trouble with vegetables- something to do with the bitterness in the vegetables themselves that typical eaters can't even taste. I suspect my problem has more to do with being a super "smeller" as I have a highly acute sense of smell and find foods that have a "rotten" or "off" smell almost impossible to stomach. To me, cooked vegetables smell like feces and seafood smells like unwashed genitalia. A few, like squash, smell fine, but the texture is inedible. I would hardly call my case "babytaste" as I've certainly branched out on what I will and won't eat since I was a child, and I love a large variety of foods and spices, and many different preparations of the foods I do enjoy.

For the record, my parents did try to feed me many and varied foods as a baby, and even as a child, but I refused them. As a baby, I would spit out anything that I couldn't get down, and as a child, they tried tempting me with favorite desserts to coerce me into eating vegetables, and I still wouldn't. I have attempted to overcome my aversions many times, but I will gag if I put them in my mouth, no matter how many times I try the offending foods. At this point, I've come to accept that this isn't something I'm going to grow out of, and there's enough variety in the foods I do eat that it's not usually a problem. I'm sure there are some nutrients I'm missing from my diet, but I take a multivitamin to replace anything I might be short on.

by Anonymousreply 107July 9, 2013 3:27 PM

We all have to find SOMETHING to make us think we're better than other people.

by Anonymousreply 108July 9, 2013 3:39 PM

I always associate people who don't like vegetables to bieng poor and uneducated. Such a tragedy you dumb, poor, fools.

by Anonymousreply 109July 9, 2013 4:03 PM

If God wanted us to eat vegetables, He would have made them taste like steak or lobster.

by Anonymousreply 110July 9, 2013 4:07 PM

Don't you know it's bad luck to let retarded people in your home!

by Anonymousreply 111July 9, 2013 4:09 PM

R15, omg, I knew this guy who liked to consider himself a foodie as well. Except it was all JUNK food and you guessed it, he was obese as well. It was really hard to not laugh in his face when he would go on about the finest hotdogs, burger outlets, etc. He was no foodie.

by Anonymousreply 112July 9, 2013 4:11 PM

R108 has you pegged.

[quote]I work with A LOT of these people, and they get very upset when anyone isn't eating the same bland crap they prefer.

Pretty easy to see here who is who is obsessively preoccupied and upset over other people's preferences.

by Anonymousreply 113July 9, 2013 4:19 PM

R53, so true. The way vegetables and food is cooked and are combined makes a HUGE difference as to how good they taste. I grew up on over-boiled and over-salted plain vegetables with plain meat when my mother cooked - not appetising. Thus I preferred the frozen foods, as did my family. But as an adult I learnt that there's more to cooking!

by Anonymousreply 114July 9, 2013 4:22 PM

Drink some wheatgrass powder and call it a day. That's what I do.

by Anonymousreply 115July 9, 2013 4:25 PM

I love vegetables. I can eat huge bowls of steamed broccoli and brussel sprouts seasoned with garlic butter and nutritional yeast. Often this is the only thing I will have for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 116July 9, 2013 4:37 PM

I have a friend who never eats vegetables or fruits. At age 57, he has the taste of an adolescent: every dessert has to be chocolate, never tasted coffee or tea. Hates alcoholic drinks (but never tastes them of course) and tomato sauce. I wouldn't care if he were not judgemental and 'superior' about his 'tastes'

by Anonymousreply 117July 9, 2013 4:40 PM

Is he really, r117? Does he go around saying that because of his dietary habits he is better than you?

by Anonymousreply 118July 9, 2013 4:48 PM

I hate vegetables and anything with cream sauce because I don't know what they put IN that cream.

by Anonymousreply 119July 9, 2013 4:49 PM

I don't particularly care for vegetables, but I eat a ton of them to fill me up and leave less room for the less healthy and fattening stuff.

I definitely have my food likes and dislikes but will eat anything put in front of me with the exception of mushrooms and liver. I have never had liver in my life and I think if I tried to get a bite in my mouth I would vomit at the table. Luckily, I've never encountered it.

I guess these adults with baby tastes never have to worry about going to a business lunch or dinner or social event.

by Anonymousreply 120July 9, 2013 4:49 PM

I had a friend who never tried a peach or a strawberry until adulthood. Who raised these people?

by Anonymousreply 121July 9, 2013 4:58 PM

Well, it seems like there are a lot of adults who actually hate eating most vegetables. This thread isn't working out the way OP had intended...

by Anonymousreply 122July 9, 2013 5:00 PM

My sisters both refuse to eat onions and garlic, apparently because of gas fears. Apparently it hasn't occurred to them because of their limited number of partners, that everybody has gas and it is stupid to go out of your way to avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 123July 9, 2013 5:04 PM

Here's hoping they will get colon cancer and die thereby reducing the surplus population.

by Anonymousreply 124July 9, 2013 5:07 PM

The only vegetable I don't like is field peas.

The only fruit I don't care for is papaya.

I can eat them, but I'd rather not.

by Anonymousreply 125July 9, 2013 5:09 PM

"Foodies" are usually total assholes, but people with the food tastes of 5 year olds are mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 126July 9, 2013 5:13 PM

I have met this kind of person. I found that, like children, they hate the 'idea' but actually will eat them if they're wrapped up in a burrito, hidden on a burger, stuffed inside a casserole and slathered with cheese, etc.

The truth is the average American under the age of 60 hasn't had much experience with properly grown vegetables. Most of their experience has been inorganic plastic, uber-chemical, tasteless, dry fibrous objects sold under the guise of a vegetable. I can't blame them for thinking they hate them.

Introduce these people to a proper organic tomato and they think you've re-invented the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 127July 9, 2013 5:25 PM

R16 -- right.... you put the breadcrumbs over the gnarly, inedible, horny skin of an avocado and deep-fry it. In Texas. Um. Right.

by Anonymousreply 128July 9, 2013 5:27 PM

[quote]The truth is the average American under the age of 60 hasn't had much experience with properly grown vegetables. Most of their experience has been inorganic plastic, uber-chemical, tasteless, dry fibrous objects sold under the guise of a vegetable. I can't blame them for thinking they hate them.

Bullshit.

[quote]Introduce these people to a proper organic tomato and they think you've re-invented the wheel.

More bullshit.

The average American under 60 has had just as much experience with properly grown vegetables as the typical, say, European. Are you under the delusion that Europeans buy groceries only from local farmers' markets?

The problem with adults with baby tastes is that they're neurotic. As someone up-thread suggested, most of this is from their upbringing, often by equally food-neurotic parents.

by Anonymousreply 129July 9, 2013 5:34 PM

it may be from their upbringing, but they never grew up

by Anonymousreply 130July 9, 2013 5:41 PM

R130, they peel them, obviously!

by Anonymousreply 131July 9, 2013 5:51 PM

Sorry, my reply was for R128

by Anonymousreply 132July 9, 2013 5:55 PM

No, we grew up. We just realized early on that there were certain foods we didn't like and accepted it.

by Anonymousreply 133July 9, 2013 5:58 PM

[quote] I was at a dinner last Saturday with a straight couple in their early 40s.

No you weren't.

by Anonymousreply 134July 9, 2013 6:07 PM

My mother made dinner every night of the week and we ate together as a family most of the time (unless some of us had away games or something, then she'd fix us a plate). She served "this, or nothing". Every night was some sort of meat, potato or rice, and a vegetable - sometimes frozen, sometimes fresh, and a salad. She also packed us lunches every day - a sandwich, piece of fruit and a snack - a couple of cookies, a Ring Ding or a Yodel, which used to come wrapped individually in foil, not two to a pack wrapped in plastic.

Most of my nieces and nephews are good eaters, but one sister's kids only eat crap. She will fix three different things for each of them - chicken nuggets, macaroni & cheese, spaghetti with butter. One of them eats cereal whenever he can. They're skinny now, but she's not.

So I don't know if it's about how you are raised. I was raised exactly the same as her, and my other siblings are teaching their kids how to appreciate good food and eat what's put before them.

by Anonymousreply 135July 9, 2013 6:10 PM

You're right, r134, OP probably wasn't at dinner last Saturday with a straight couple in their early 40s, given that he posted this thread almost one year ago.

by Anonymousreply 136July 9, 2013 6:13 PM

I swear, 1 of the sayings under my mom's Bryn Mawr nursing school photo is......

always eat healthy meals.

I guess that struck her fellow students/friends as odd.

by Anonymousreply 137July 9, 2013 6:24 PM

I am a foodie and it irks me to no end when my mother eats anywhere near me. If we are out, she complains to the waitress that nothing is plain enough. She lives on dinner rolls, watermelon in chunks, plain chicken breast, tomatoes and microwave popcorn. That is about the extent of her food intake. I consider it the sign of a narcissist.

Once a year I invite her for dinner and her husband always compliments my cooking, which gives me a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 138July 9, 2013 6:37 PM

My mother used to feed me well balanced meals everyday when I was a kid, but to this day, I still won't eat peas. I hate, hate, hate, hate peas. And green peppers. I really can't help it.

by Anonymousreply 139July 9, 2013 6:43 PM

People who do not eat nor like vegetables are very childish.

They never grew psychologically beyond age 8.

by Anonymousreply 140July 9, 2013 6:43 PM

Why would it be a sign of a narcissist?

by Anonymousreply 141July 9, 2013 6:44 PM

I want to like vegetables, but I secretly hate them.

I find salads disgusting and just power through them to look more normal.

I loathe tomatoes.

I hate asparagus. They taste awful.

I try to hide it from others but i hate them.

by Anonymousreply 142July 9, 2013 6:48 PM

Good for you for powering through them R142, more important than trying to look normal is that a diet rich in vegetables is one of the best things you can do for your health.

by Anonymousreply 143July 9, 2013 6:51 PM

Vegetables are crucial for good health.

Certainly there must to be a number of vegetables that anyone who says they dislike vegetables would like nonetheless.

Vegetables are crucial for nutrients, fiber, digestion, stable blood sugar, and all around overall good health.

An adult who mature in thinking, in psychological health, stable, and well-adjusted would never eliminate almost all vegetables from his/her diet.

An adult who refuses to eat all or most vegetables is very much stuck in childish immature behavior and stuck in the developmental stage of an 8 year old.

by Anonymousreply 144July 9, 2013 8:35 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 9, 2013 8:39 PM

This thread is bizarre. What is it to anyone else if someone eats a certain kind of food or not? It reminds me of the Republicans who want to legislate over women's bodies... Now it's alright to legislate, albeit through social shame, over people's food choices? So odd.

by Anonymousreply 146July 9, 2013 8:42 PM

It is difficult to respect adults who are stuck in the psychological developmental stages of an 8 year old.

by Anonymousreply 147July 9, 2013 8:43 PM

I couldn't reliably get myself to eat the greens or vegetables I was buying so I got a Vitamix. Now I blend lots of spinach, carrots, kale, parsley with just enough frozen fruits and juice to mask the taste. As a result I've taken in more vegetables in 12 months than I have in the past 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 148July 9, 2013 8:48 PM

[quote]Now it's alright to legislate, albeit through social shame

Wow you are pathetic. There is no such thing as legislating through social shame. It is an hyperbolic screaming of trying to make yourself the victim because you don't like that other people judging you because you eat like a 5 year old.

If there is ever a law that says you are required to eat a pint of broccoli a day then maybe someone will take your victim shit seriously. You know legislating through...legislation.

by Anonymousreply 149July 9, 2013 8:48 PM

I think it may have had something to do with having gotten attention at one time in childhood by refusing to eat certain things--carried over into "adulthood" it becomes even more reprehensible. I guarantee that if these types who are so prissy about what they like and don't like foodwise were actually starving their little likes and dislikes would soon fall by the wayside. The thing is, many people don't know how to properly cook vegetables, often overcooking them. R144 is right, it's best these people get cancer early on, die, and reduce the surplus population especially of prissy, precious, delicate types such as these.

by Anonymousreply 150July 9, 2013 8:50 PM

This is the first time I've posted in this thread, R150. Calm your tits. I'm embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 151July 9, 2013 8:50 PM

R149, you are using an excellent solution.

by Anonymousreply 152July 9, 2013 8:52 PM

R149 Do you feel any different or is it all bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 153July 9, 2013 8:58 PM

R154, you must be slow, semi-retarded, extremely uninformed, and uneducated about nutrition and health.

Eating vegetables is NOT just for affecting 'how you feel'.

Eating vegetables is to prevent disease, to make your body as strong and healthy as it can be to fight off disease, and to maintain psychological and physical health.

And, yes, to give yourself a shot at feeling well and vital.

by Anonymousreply 154July 9, 2013 9:03 PM

R155 I don't believe I was talking to you.

by Anonymousreply 155July 9, 2013 9:14 PM

The only time I get annoyed with someone over food issues is when they refuse to eat something because "they don't like it" and then find out they have never even tried it. I have come across this several times and it just is stupid.

I don't like green beans. I have eaten them cooked various ways but I just don't like them. But, I will try something at least. Making a blanket statement about hating a food you have never tasted I just don't get.

by Anonymousreply 156July 9, 2013 10:01 PM

[quote]What is it to anyone else if someone eats a certain kind of food or not?

Yeah. Seriously. How could anyone get upset about what someone else eats, unless it smells bad or something?

I don't like most of the foods on the supertaster list. Never have. Olives and coffee are the only ones.

I'm not a particularly fussy eater, but if all foods were equally nutritious, I would live on fish and seafood, pasta, some veg (asparagus, artichokes, carrots, peas, potatoes), and cake and ice cream. Those are the things I really like.

But I eat other vegetables, too. And some meat. Meat is the thing I could truly live without and never miss.

by Anonymousreply 157July 9, 2013 10:10 PM

This might need its own thread, but are CSAs popular in your area?

Are you a share owner of one?

I would be curious if these are popular where you live and what's the going rate for a share where you live.

Typical produce? Eggs? Cut flowers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 9, 2013 10:20 PM

OK people, listen up, here's the lowdown on which vegetables are cool, and which are icky ...

Edible: green beans, peas , carrots, spinach, lettuce (and salad greens in general), all peppers except green bell, asparagus, brussel sprouts, COOKED tomatoes, squashes (any kind), okra. mushrooms, onions

Inedible: green pepper, raw tomatoes, cucumber (including pickles), olives, broccoli, cauliflower, celery

frozen "mixed" vegetables, including peas 'n' carrots, are OUT.

Expanded to fruits ...

YES: berries (EXCEPT strawberry), banana, cherry, apples, pears, durian (bring it on!), watermelon (other melon I can take or leave)

NO: pineapple, strawberry, rhubarb, peach

MEATS: NO tripe -- ever! Beef must be at least medium, pref medium well.

Cheese: anything except blue!

by Anonymousreply 159July 9, 2013 11:26 PM

Adults who hate vegetables are inevitably giant Lardasses.

by Anonymousreply 160July 9, 2013 11:33 PM

R159 is so anal he can't sit comfortably.

by Anonymousreply 161July 10, 2013 1:48 AM

R159 needs a sound spanking and to be sent to bed without any dinner, the little fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 162July 10, 2013 1:49 AM

Broccoli is a vile weed.

by Anonymousreply 163July 10, 2013 2:05 AM

Hey -- forgot to mention that lima beans are definitely a no-go veg!

by Anonymousreply 164July 10, 2013 3:02 AM

R6 revolts me.

by Anonymousreply 165July 10, 2013 3:17 AM

Why, R165? How could you possibly care what someone else eats?

by Anonymousreply 166July 10, 2013 3:26 AM

R6 should be drowned.

by Anonymousreply 167July 10, 2013 3:37 AM

Any restaurant can provide a bowl of lettuce or a bowl of vegetables. Or a bowl or potatoes or rice.

So no reason for R6 to dictate at which restaurant a group or couple should eat.

by Anonymousreply 168July 10, 2013 3:40 AM

I always thought I would grow up to be one of those adults who hated vegetables, but somewhere in my early teens I grew out of it. I'd always eaten them - no choice and I learnt that early on - but I no longer had to wash them down with a drink to hide the taste. I think starting to cook for my family as my mother worked was part of it. I learnt I like crispier vegetables and avoided boiled and I could control that as I was the one making dinner. Give me a stir fry or salad over boiled beans and carrots any day.

by Anonymousreply 169July 10, 2013 4:16 AM

Why would the choice be 'boiled beans' and carrots if one were not eating a stir fry or salad?

by Anonymousreply 170July 10, 2013 4:20 AM

My mother always cooked boiled beans, carrots and a potato boiled until it looked sort of grey, r170. It was the food she'd grown up on. When I started the cooking, people were also starting to eat more stir fries and less of the meat and two veg sort of thing, and I found I liked those cooking styles far better.

by Anonymousreply 171July 10, 2013 4:30 AM

Would your heads explode if I told you I don't eat any fruits, either?

by Anonymousreply 172July 10, 2013 4:35 AM

Yes, R172, because that means you are mentally ill and a psychological cripple.

by Anonymousreply 173July 10, 2013 4:39 AM

On the first UK "Hell's Kitchen" two models came in for dinner. They ordered plain salad with dressing on the side - no meat, no fish, no other vegetables in or outside of the salad. He sent them each one lettuce leaf with a silver sauceboat of dressing, beautifully presented by Jean Philippe.

Sometimes Gordon Ramsay is very amusing.

by Anonymousreply 174July 10, 2013 4:47 AM

I can never figure out why people call a plain bowl of lettuce a 'salad'.

A bowl of lettuce is lettuce or greens. It is not a 'salad'.

A salad consists of a mixture of ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 175July 10, 2013 4:52 AM

My 20 year old girlfriend is somewhat this way. I have tried to compromise by serving the main ingredients she likes except maybe more interesting recipe than she would choose. However, I really miss seafood, Asian food, and Indian food.

by Anonymousreply 176July 10, 2013 5:45 AM

My partner used to dislike many vegetables, and from what I could tell it's because she never really had them cooked properly. She claimed to hate zucchini, but when we were in Italy she had a pasta dish with zucchini in it and loved it. I've made the same meal for her here and she eats it up.

by Anonymousreply 177July 10, 2013 12:10 PM

My mom was always dead set against eggplant -- until she had it in Turkish mezze dishes.

by Anonymousreply 178July 10, 2013 2:59 PM

I never liked eggplant much until I had it as eggplant caviar. Delicious on bruschetta or vegetables.

Google "James Beard eggplant caviar" and find the recipe in JB's "American Cookery" at Google Books.

by Anonymousreply 179July 10, 2013 3:09 PM

in this day and age we need all to consider being more vegan, as Marc Bittman suggests, not totally, just more often. WIth that in mind, avoiding certain vegetables is ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 180July 10, 2013 3:26 PM

[quote]I grew up in foodie culture

Ugh, R26, people who say they're foodies are almost as annoying as people with baby taste.

by Anonymousreply 181July 10, 2013 3:43 PM

Vegetables can be weird. I'm one who does eat a lot of vegetables, but mainly in the form of big raw salads every day. Cooked vegetables are a different story. I love them in some forms but not others. Take carrots - I hate the diced frozen ones that are usually heated in a pot of boiling water but. But I love carrots if they are sliced diagonally and braised or roasted.

So texture definitely is a part of it. But I would still eat almost any veggie served to me. I could live on veggies if I had to (as long as I could have access to butter and cheese...).

by Anonymousreply 182July 10, 2013 3:47 PM

Remember this in life, R134: not all people are like you. Some even have social lives.

by Anonymousreply 183July 10, 2013 3:49 PM

R182, you sound totally wacky, are you "special"?

by Anonymousreply 184July 10, 2013 4:04 PM

I don't care what anyone loves or hates when it comes to food, as long as I don't have to put up with them using their weird pickiness to control what and where the group eats.

by Anonymousreply 185July 10, 2013 9:29 PM

My co-worker, whom I love dearly, has a child's palate. When we travel on business, she orders quesadillas, fries, chicken fingers, etc. She never eats vegetables or fruit. Surprisingly she's very thin. She doesn't eat a lot of what she orders. She'll agree to go to a more upscale restaurant or someplace that serves more healthful food every once in a while. She even usually enjoys healthy food. But then it's right back to her terrible diet.

I might say that although she's not fat, she had lots of other health problems, no doubt because her body is deprived of vitamins and minerals.

by Anonymousreply 186July 10, 2013 10:15 PM

That's the only thing that would bother me, R185, but I don't know anyone like that, in spite of having a very picky friend. There's enough he likes on any menu, however limited his choices seem to me.

by Anonymousreply 187July 10, 2013 10:55 PM

My cousin and her husband are like this. They are both overweight. The worst part is that their children have picked up on their parents' habits and refuse to anything that isn't processed. When I'm over their house, I try to give them oranges and bananas - fruits that are close to being universally loved - and they are sickened by them and go to the cupboard to shove more Oreos into their mouth. Their parents say, "oh, kids don't like vegetables and fruits," as if that is a universal feature of human nature and not a product of their shitty parenting.

by Anonymousreply 188July 10, 2013 11:49 PM

I knew a guy who only ate hamburgers. He actually brought McDonalds to a Thanksgiving Dinner.

by Anonymousreply 189July 10, 2013 11:55 PM

I know a man who did not eat anything green for 35 or 40 years. And almost had no other vegetables during that time too.

(except for baby carrots sometimes)

After many discussions with him about this lack, he claims to now be eating fresh spinach leaves covered in blue cheese dressing.

by Anonymousreply 190July 11, 2013 12:03 AM

I like all vegetables. I was the weird kid who didn't like steak but asked for seconds of broccoli. As an adult I've tried different foods quite happily, probably from being brought up with a mother who made one dinner for everyone and if you didn't like it you went to bed hungry. She was quite adventurous for the time so we tried new foods as a matter of course. It made myself and my siblings polite dinner guests who will eat what's put in front of them, say thank you and offer to do the dishes.

You need veggies for a healthy body. An adult who eats like a child is a real turn off to me.

by Anonymousreply 191July 11, 2013 12:10 AM

You sound like an asshole, R184.

by Anonymousreply 192July 11, 2013 1:38 AM

Actually most children I know including my own one year old, like their fruit and veg. But I dont live in the US. My family and friends are of diverse ethnicities and races, and scattered across the globe. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they were introduced very early, as young as 6 months, to different herbs and spices and tasty food that the whole family ate?

by Anonymousreply 193July 11, 2013 10:44 AM

This just in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194July 11, 2013 2:47 PM

I go a step further. Not only do I refuse to eat any fruits or vegetables, I won't even fuck a guy who does in fear of getting any digested fruit/vegetable remnants on my dick. I'm THAT picky.

by Anonymousreply 195July 11, 2013 2:50 PM

Picky eaters never get invited back, I can't stand attention starved fools.

by Anonymousreply 196July 11, 2013 3:16 PM

I dated a woman who hated vegetables. When it later emerged that she had never used her passport--had never traveled outside of the US once, and she was 47--I thought, "Things hang together." And what a proud blowhard about both facts: "Meat an' potay-ruhs. Just gimme some meat an' potay-ruhs, nunna dat rabbit food." Also: "Why go to Italy [where I'm from], Paris? Why? You know how beautiful America is? Whatever you want is right here in our backyard."

by Anonymousreply 197July 11, 2013 5:55 PM

I don't see how it is possible to not like a single vegetable. These people are gonna have short lives. People can't live off just meat and grains.

by Anonymousreply 198July 11, 2013 7:05 PM

r197 Why did you date her in the first place? And who talks like that anyways??

by Anonymousreply 199July 11, 2013 7:06 PM

Only three years shorter, R198.

by Anonymousreply 200July 11, 2013 8:09 PM

It's George H.W. Bush who famously wouldn't eat broccoli. Yes, I met him. Evil doesn't like vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 201July 12, 2013 12:07 AM

I once had a baboon that wouldn't eat boogers.

by Anonymousreply 202July 12, 2013 12:14 AM

R201, lots of people do not like broccoli, but that doesn't mean they don't like or love dozens upon dozens of other vegetables.

And just because George H.W. Bush doesn't like broccoli doesn't mean he doesn't like dozens upon dozens of other vegetables.

by Anonymousreply 203July 12, 2013 5:29 AM

[R108], I'm really not sure how having a keen sense of smell makes me "better" than anyone else. I really do, medically verified, have a sensitive nose. I've been told I could work as a perfumer.

by Anonymousreply 204July 13, 2013 6:09 PM

Who cares? let people be.

by Anonymousreply 205July 13, 2013 10:18 PM

r197, most Americans never leave the country. You sound like an elitist snob.

by Anonymousreply 206July 13, 2013 10:20 PM

My parents are Irish-American and they are obsessed with fresh vegetables. But they boil the living shit out of them. They hate them unless they are very soft.

by Anonymousreply 207July 13, 2013 10:25 PM

Why don't Americans eat the organically grown and deliciously prepared vegetables that are offered to them free of charge every single day?

Oops, just answered my own question in the asking of it!

by Anonymousreply 208July 13, 2013 10:28 PM

R182 I understand. I love veggies. I don't like overcooked carrots either, but love them prepared the way you mentioned. If you haven't already, you have to try fresh cauliflower pieces (about 2" in size) tossed in olive oil, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and curry powder, or just plain; roasted 30 minutes at 425F. I could eat that every day.

My mother taught me to teach a white sauce as soon as I could be trusted in the kitchen, because her father would only eat vegetables in a white sauce. Of course, it's a basic one should know anyway, also.

by Anonymousreply 209July 13, 2013 10:36 PM

^ taught me to MAKE a white sauce ^

by Anonymousreply 210July 13, 2013 10:40 PM

The only taste I don't like is licorice,

The only food I actively avoid is olive. Except I can eat it on pizza. And once at a fancy restaurant, they had fried olives. I swear, fry anything and it's tasty.

by Anonymousreply 211July 13, 2013 10:57 PM

R209, I love roasted cauliflower...I love almost any roasted veggie. I roast them in garlic flavored olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 212July 14, 2013 2:34 AM

My niece started the "I'm a vegetarian" bullshit at around age 12.

Yet she won't eat vegetables. She only eats mac & cheese.

She's 25 now and has an ass the size of Ron Eldard.

by Anonymousreply 213July 14, 2013 6:07 PM

[quote]Who cares? let people be.

your point would we well taken if eating was only done in seclusion and alone at all times. humans characteristically eat communally, we actually in contemporary society eat together as entertainment. Because of this, eccentric or grating eating habits of others does affect us, maybe not much, but it is more than just "live and let live".

by Anonymousreply 214July 14, 2013 6:58 PM

Any Brussels sprouts haters out there? Of COURSE there are. Put aside your disgust and loathing, and make Martha Stewart's version with brown butter. A pain in the ass to make, but good God are they delicious. I make 5lbs of the little darlings every Thanksgiving, and they all disappear. White sauce for vegetables? Oh YES! Creamed peas are amazingly tasty. Just the thing for dinner, with meatloaf and Yukon Gold mashed potatoes. "Cal-reeeeeees........... , light the corners of my mind.........."

by Anonymousreply 215July 14, 2013 8:43 PM

I don't like brocolli, squash, or cauliflower. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 216July 22, 2013 3:03 AM

/.

by Anonymousreply 217July 31, 2013 2:14 AM

no brocolli

by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2013 4:43 PM

The only one I know of is Terri Schiavo's husband.

by Anonymousreply 219August 24, 2013 4:49 PM

I will eat stuff stir fried that I never eat otherwise, like zucchini and asparagus.

by Anonymousreply 220September 1, 2013 11:08 PM

Most of these replies have got to be from very stupid people: If vegetables make you violently sick, you do not eat them, a cat or dog will not eat something they don't like the taste,smell or consistency of, so why should humans?

by Anonymousreply 221December 4, 2013 11:02 PM

Veggies I won't eat: broccoli, cauliflower, celery, olives, beets.

by Anonymousreply 222December 4, 2013 11:58 PM

I have a friend who hates veggies. He will pick veggies out of a dish to make it meat only.

by Anonymousreply 223November 30, 2014 3:16 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 224June 4, 2019 4:31 PM

Anyone who doesn't eat veggies must have a hard time on the potty...literally

by Anonymousreply 225June 4, 2019 4:39 PM

I eat all fruits and vegetables except for bananas. I hate the flavor of banana

by Anonymousreply 226June 4, 2019 4:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!