Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diane Kruger

Fashion plate or serious actress?

by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2020 4:53 PM

I thought she was one of the best things in Inglourious Basterds.

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2012 7:52 PM

She was also great in that french movie Farewell my queen.

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2012 8:32 PM

Both. Spectacularly beautiful woman who also happens to be a fantastic actress (she was superb in "Inglorious Basterds" and deserves a Supporting Actress Oscar nod for "Farewell, My Queen").

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2012 8:37 PM

Those choices are not mutually exclusive, OP. A handful of us can be both.

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2012 8:41 PM

A great actress who is also incredibly beautiful, but like most non British European actresses is far superior in her own language.

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2012 8:57 PM

She's awful, can't stand her, what is it with america falling for our european actresses, Penelope Cruz, Marion Cotillard and Diane Kruger can't act and they are ugly.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2012 9:12 PM

Sadly, I saw her in "Troy" and "National Treasure".

She's not always a fantastic actress.

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2012 10:54 PM

Better question: what does Joshua Jackson have that keeps her so enthralled with him? He's not that smart or hot or that good an actor...

She's an international film star, he's on a low-rated US TV show.

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2012 11:31 PM

She was pretty good as Marie Antoinette in 'Farewell, My Queen'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 4, 2013 9:54 AM

One more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 4, 2013 9:55 AM

R6 Kruger,Cotillard and Cruz are very beautiful! You must need Eldergay glasses. Kruger speaks pretty good English and isn't that bad in the movies she's in. Cotillard can act in English and even better in French. Cruz is terrific in Spanish language films and quite blah in English language cinema. Her Italian is great but she has a heavy accent even then. Unlike the other two she hasn't made an attempt to lose her accent at all.In that regard she sounds like the new Charo!

That hottie Guillaume Canet has had both Kruger and Cotillard. I wonder what his story is. He's a cute guy but he either has a third leg or is the most charming BS artist in the world.

by Anonymousreply 11January 4, 2013 10:30 AM

Lost respect for her when she shacked up with Joshua Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 12January 4, 2013 10:34 AM

R12 Why because he with with Katie Holmes? JJ doesn't seem like such a dick ...or is he?

by Anonymousreply 13January 4, 2013 10:40 AM

Good actress. Has had a lot to deal with in life. Especially with the stigma of having a child killer for a brother. I'm glad she has found happiness and normalcy with that guy from Dawson's Creek.

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2013 10:48 AM

That image of her holding Harrison Ford's drink while they were on stage announcing some award winner was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2013 10:53 AM

She deserves at least an Oscar nomination for "Farewell, My Queen".

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2013 3:35 PM

'Farewell, My Queen' is not a masterpiece but it's a whole lot better than 'Marie Antoinette' by Sofia Coppola. In addition Diane Kruger is much better as Marie Antoinette than Kirsten Dunst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 4, 2013 4:56 PM

God, wouldn't it be fantastic if Kruger were a surprise, left-field nominee for Best Supporting Actress for "Farewell, My Queen"? I would so love that. Happy to see so many others loved her in the film.

by Anonymousreply 18January 4, 2013 5:03 PM

Her real surname is Heidkrüger. I guess she uses "Kruger" professionally for ease of pronunciation and euphony, though I see nothing wrong with her real name.

It always astonishes me to realize men I consider axiomatically attractive, such as Joshua Jackson, aren't universally thought of as hot.

by Anonymousreply 19January 4, 2013 5:09 PM

r14, your's was the first I heard of her brother being a child killer. I did a google search and found nothing about this.

I did see that she won't have anything to do with her father, who was/is apparently a terrible alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 20January 4, 2013 5:15 PM

They asked Diane Kruger in an interview: 'You’re so often paired with men. Was is different falling in love with a woman?'

Diane Kruger answered:'Let me tell you it’s so easy with Virginie (Ledoyen). She is one of the most beautiful women I know. I don’t have lesbian tendencies but I can’t stop looking at her one way or the other.'

by Anonymousreply 21January 4, 2013 5:18 PM

JJ seems very charming and easy going. I think that is a lot more attractive than some boring plastic hunk.

by Anonymousreply 22January 4, 2013 5:20 PM

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 23January 4, 2013 5:23 PM

Diane Kruger and Virginie Ledoyen Photocall for 'Farewell My Queen' at the 62nd International Berlin Film Festival Berlin, Germany

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2013 12:04 PM

Diane Kruger with Lea Seydoux and Virginie Ledoyen in Berlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 5, 2013 12:13 PM

Forbidden my ass! Why?

Try this once more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 5, 2013 12:21 PM

FUCK IT. The silly jerks have it forbidden. Try this photo with the three of them and if this doesn't work out as well, well c'est la vie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 5, 2013 12:25 PM

LES ADIEUX A LA REINE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 5, 2013 12:28 PM

Didn't her ex-husband fuck Marion Cotillard when Diane and Guillame Canet were still married? Marion is a notorious flirt onscreen and is extremely touchy feely with her male co-stars.

Oh more thing,Diane was on the Cannes jury that scuttled Cotillard's recent chances to win an award for Rust and Bone.Supposedly Diane singlehandedly lobbied for another actress to win the award in order to get back at Cotillard, the hussy who stole her husband.

by Anonymousreply 29January 6, 2013 5:24 PM

Lol, interesting story R29. However i have no idea if it is true!

In IMDb it is written that Diane Kruger is very good friends with ex-husband Guillaume Canet. Would you remain friends with a man that cheated on you? I doubt it but it's not impossible. Is Brad Pitt still a close friend of Jennifer Aniston by the way?

by Anonymousreply 30January 6, 2013 5:34 PM

R20, the brother was removed from the home at an early age due to difficulties in school and displaying sociopathic behaviour. I believe Diane was still just an infant when he was taken away.

They ended up shipping him to the States for better mental health therapy but it still did little to no help. He was labeled 'The Springwood Slasher' back in the late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 31January 6, 2013 5:34 PM

Y'all, the serial killer jokes are a reference to Freddy Krueger.

by Anonymousreply 32January 6, 2013 5:50 PM

R30 Kruger and Canet hardly saw each other that's how that French hussy moved on in. I wouldn't say that they are buddy/buddy though.They're civil. Diane is happy with JJ and Marion actually did Kruger a favor. That being said Diane went out of her way to sway the other jurors against Marion. Marion is not the greatest actress BUT Rust and Bone is really a good movie and she's great in it.

by Anonymousreply 33January 6, 2013 6:02 PM

And which other jury member told you this, r33? Jean-Paul Gautier? Ewan McGregor? Emmanuelle Devos?

by Anonymousreply 34January 6, 2013 6:10 PM

R34 JPG is one of the queeniest gossips in the world BUT it wasn't him darling.Manny is jealous of Marion because she crossed over to America. Ewan...let's just say he's on team Watts when it comes to awards this season. Don't be surprised to see Ms Watts beat that French sex siren at the Globes and the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 35January 6, 2013 6:29 PM

Diane Kruger is far more beautiful that Cotillard, i believe anyone can see that.

by Anonymousreply 36January 6, 2013 6:31 PM

r35, having seen both Rust and Bone and The Impossible, I'd be ok with that. Don't get me wrong -- both are magnificent, but I'd give a slight edge to Mrs. Schrieber.

In the end, as long as Quebooboo Wallis is NOT nominated, I will be happy.

by Anonymousreply 37January 6, 2013 6:34 PM

It was not Cotillard's fault that Guillaume Canet cheated on his wife. He had the responsibility towards his wife and not Cotillard. He gave a promise and he broke it. Cotillard didn't break a promise. Did she?

If this story about Kruger, Canet and Cotillard is true the guilty one should be Canet.

By the way i prefer Kruger's aura to Cotillard's but i must admit that Cotillard is an amazing actress and not just because she happened to win an Oscar. Kruger is a very good actress too undoubtedly.

by Anonymousreply 38January 6, 2013 6:46 PM

so did ewan fuck naomi R35?

by Anonymousreply 39January 6, 2013 7:02 PM

Ewan doesn't strike me as Naomi's type. Besides, Liev is extremely jealous and possessive: he -- justifiably, I think -- punched out Sean Penn after Penn made the moves on Naomi during the making of "Fair Game." Note that they did not do any press together for the film, whereas Naomi and Ewan have been appearing quite regularly together to promote "The Impossible."

by Anonymousreply 40January 6, 2013 7:08 PM

No. Ewan likes Ms Watts(she's not married to Liev BTW)platonically.Liev is extremely possessive and jealous of NW why wouldn't he be?That's his woman. Just because Popeye face AKA Spicoli AKA Sean Penn tried to fuck her on two film sets doesn't mean he has to let that fug succeed.

R38 If Marion fucked Canet when he was married to Diane she was in the wrong as well. She had a boyfriend at the time(this is after her then current boyfriend killed himself)and knew she did something wrong. By the same token is it OK for a hot actress to blow,suck and fuck Canet now? Canet is not married to Marion so that makes things right? Wrong! BTW they also have a kid together.

Kruger better looking than Cotillard? I think they are both cute actually. I would go straight for Marion though. She has that irresistible Gallic allure that is so hard to quantify. I find her to be warmer and friendly than Kruger as well.Kruger sounds more American than Marion too. Marion's worked hard on her accent but still has a certain wonderful Frenchness about her voice.I find that very sexy about her.

Honeybooboo Wallis? If she blew a certain famous producer then she'll be on the cover of all the requisite rags and get a nomination.If not Booboo will inhabit the dustbins of cinematic history with great aplomb!

by Anonymousreply 41January 6, 2013 8:20 PM

[quote]'Farewell, My Queen' is not a masterpiece but it's a whole lot better than 'Marie Antoinette' by Sofia Coppola. In addition Diane Kruger is much better as Marie Antoinette than Kirsten Dunst.

Neither of them could hold a candle to me.

by Anonymousreply 42January 6, 2013 8:53 PM

Kruger's acting in English is vastly superior to Cotillard's, who sounds like a Minnie Mouse when speaking English. It just about kills any sexuality she may posses. Also, she doesn't look as attractive in American films, for some reason. I think they overdo her makeup and she looks better when she's natural.

by Anonymousreply 43January 6, 2013 9:10 PM

I love her and JJ together. He's not a bad actor. Is he working?

I also love her performance as a you Boy George in Somebody to Love Me. It was very sweet and at first I thought it was true old footage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 6, 2013 9:18 PM

R43 I don't agree. Cotillard for all her warts in English has done a more varied type of work. Nine, DKR, Contagion,Big Fish and Mary by Abel Ferrara. Diane's done more commercial shit and her acting has suffered in comparison. BTW I like Kruger but I'm annoyed by her accent in French. she sounds almost American in English BUT German in French.

Marion has been bad looking in her American movies. And Minnie Mouse...c'mon that's a bit much. She's better in French but she's not bad in English.

JJ just finished Fringe so who knows what he's going to do after that....

by Anonymousreply 45January 6, 2013 11:40 PM

R40, Naomi is moving into a great position for awards season for "The Impossible." Hope she wins.

And FYI, she and Ewan had almost no scenes together. Nearly 95% of Naomi's performance was alongside 16 year-old Tom Holland.

by Anonymousreply 46January 7, 2013 4:17 AM

Nothing Cotillard has done in English compares to Kruger's performance in Inglourious Basterds.

by Anonymousreply 47January 7, 2013 4:31 AM

R47 What Diane Kruger did was pure camp in Inglorious Basterds!It was all very comic booky to say the least.she did her role well BUT that wasn't great drama was it? Kruger never gave a performance like Cotillard did in Vie en rose(La Mome) or Rust And Bone either.That's an understatement. Kruger might be cute but she hasn't given a tour de force performance yet and probably never will.

by Anonymousreply 48January 7, 2013 4:44 AM

r48, have you seen Farewell, My Queen? Kruger gives a tour-de-force in that one. Her dazzling performance single-handedly makes the film a vibrant, glorious experience.

by Anonymousreply 49January 7, 2013 11:36 AM

by Anonymousreply 50January 7, 2013 11:54 AM

R48I did. The problem is that Kruger sounds like she walked off the train from Berlin in that one too! You obviously don't speak French.Yeah I know that MA was Austrian BUT Kruger's accent is blah.The film is decent but her performance is overrated.She doesn't have the chops to pull off a great performance, a good one maybe but not a great one.

by Anonymousreply 51January 7, 2013 1:49 PM

[quote]Kruger never gave a performance like Cotillard did in Vie en rose(La Mome) or Rust And Bone either.

Vie an rose and Rust and Bone were NOT English language performances. And, yes, Inglorious Basterds was a highlighted drama at its best and Kruger was pitch-perfect.

by Anonymousreply 52January 7, 2013 2:14 PM

Kruger was high camp in Inglorious Basterds. Pitch perfect? HAHAHA! Are you on her payroll? You must be joking.It was fun but nothing more nothing less.How did she get that role? Was she on a corpulent producer's Rolodex being the next in line to fellate him?

I like Kruger but she started as a model whereas Cotillard came from a family of actors. Cotillard has picked edgier performances whereas Kruger has been slumming in the mainstream for the most part.If it's true, Cotillard screwing Canet and in essence Kruger is bad form. Then again, MC did Diane a favor as she's with the cute but seemingly chubby JJ.

by Anonymousreply 53January 7, 2013 3:34 PM

[quote]HAHAHA! Are you on her payroll?

If you only answer to my opinion is to personally ridicule me, than you don't have much of an argument.

I think Kruger is amazing in Inglourious Basterds. It's a fine line between camp and drama and she threads it perfectly in that film. You may not agree with me, but please do it without petty insults.

by Anonymousreply 54January 7, 2013 3:48 PM

R52 There was a second part to that response BTW. That role in IB was the sort of role Brenda Dickson would have relished in. A campy soap opera actress could have played that part. On the other hand, Cristoph Waltz stole the movie hands down. That's what makes Kruger and the rest of them in that movie look so mediocre to begin with. He was so good and the rest of them...well let's say that some of them should have won Razzies.

Kruger might be pretty but there's no edge there acting wise.She has very limited range as an actress and she seems nice in a phony type of way.Was she really beautiful enough to play Helen of Troy? She's cute BUT she isn't that fabulous looking.

by Anonymousreply 55January 7, 2013 10:59 PM

Again, all you can do to dismiss an actress is insult her and those of us who admire her performances. You're undercutting your own argument...such as it is.

by Anonymousreply 56January 7, 2013 11:53 PM

R55 Diane Kruger is not cute. Diane Kruger is really beautiful. She was a fabulous choice to play Helen of Troy! This woman has classic beauty and she is not just attractively cute as Cotillard for example...

Diane Kruger as an actress has a lot to prove but she is really good. If some people have doubts about her acting maybe that is because she is beautiful in a solid way and she is not 'cute' enough for their taste.

by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2013 10:01 AM

R41, i didn't know that Cotillard was in a relationship too back then. At least she was not married, that would make her adultery cheaper. That's why i said that the most guilty of the two should be Canet! However, i agree that cheating on your lover is cheap enough even when you fall in love or just become infatuated with someone else...

Of course dear, i'm with Kruger's side. Not bacause there are these cheating rumors. She is just much more beautiful and certainly more serious than Cotillard. I like emotional honesty, it's sexy.

by Anonymousreply 58January 8, 2013 11:02 AM

*because

by Anonymousreply 59January 8, 2013 11:04 AM

How many major acting awards has Kruger won in compared to Cotillard? Cotillard has demolished her in that regard. Kruger is pleasant looking but she wasn't gorgeous enough to play Helen of Troy at all. I think Cotillard has the looks but she has that Frenchness about her that is so alluring. Being part German I don't feel the same way towards Kruger. She's a nice German girl but has none of the sizzle/sex appeal other actresses possess in spades.

R58 I'm not so sure that cotillard cheated with Canet. They claimed they were freinds back in the day. That being said Dk looks very content with JJ,I seem to remember her saying so. CAnet is a workaholic so add to the fact that DK was abroad filming and he was in France it was a recipe for disaster. Diane even moved to NYC AND Vancouver to be with JJ. I like that about her. I hope that she and JJ eventually marry and have kids together.

It was also cool that Kruger did a guest spot on Fringe. What that girl won't do for love. I just wish her part was much bigger.

by Anonymousreply 60January 8, 2013 7:33 PM

Well, r60, based on this thread, plenty of people think DK has a ton of charisma and sex appeal.

I adore both Marion and Diane. They each have their own qualities that I find entrancing.

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2013 3:28 AM

Guys, Diane Kruger is indeed a good actress and she is sexy in a not capricious way. She was great in 'Copying Beethoven'! I loved this movie and she gave a fantastic performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2013 11:12 AM

Naomi Watts is not the cheating kind. Never was and never will be; She would never cheat on her lover if she fell in love with someone else. She would face first her lover.

by Anonymousreply 63January 10, 2013 5:23 PM

how do you know that R63?

by Anonymousreply 64January 10, 2013 7:02 PM

R63 first of all, Liev Schreiber would go apeshit if she did!She doesn't have a rep for cheating anyway.

Can you believe that LA Kruger was snubbed for The Oscars? I'm flabbergasted,how did she not receive one major award nomination?

by Anonymousreply 65January 10, 2013 10:50 PM

R64 i just know that, i'm very intuitive..

Of course anything is possible but until then...Naomi is not the cheating kind. Period.

by Anonymousreply 66January 12, 2013 12:06 PM

Gorgeous, stylish, and talented.

Proof one can be all three.

by Anonymousreply 67January 12, 2013 12:32 PM

All I know is that she was great in Copying Beethoven. Never saw the movie until I googled Beethoven's 9th, but a great movie. Best piece of music ever written and she and Ed Harris brought it to life for me.

by Anonymousreply 68February 28, 2015 4:06 AM

Bump!

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2020 4:29 PM

I can't name a single Kruger role or film. I don't feel one way or the other about her. So, I say...call her whatever you wish.

by Anonymousreply 70July 23, 2020 4:41 PM

She has been good in some things and horrible in others. Or just boring and flat in others.

She handles MAGA trolls quite well on her Instagram account.

by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2020 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!