Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Or Bette: Who Was The Biggest Bitch?

Bette Davis..hands down.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2018 12:33 AM

Definitely Bette!

Joan's enormous neediness made her seek out new friends constantly and insured her generosity towards her colleagues, even to younger female stars in her films like Ann Blyth, Diane Baker and Betsy Palmer. Apparently, her film crews all loved her and she knew each one on them by name (especially the men!).

Bette was naturally a loner and suspicious of everyone. A mean drunk! Just ask Celeste Holm.

Nevertheless, I would rather watch Bette interviewed over Joan. Bette was smarter and funnier and far more honest than Joan.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2012 6:01 PM

"Why am I so good at playing bitches? Because I'm not a bitch. That's why Joan Crawford always plays ladies." -- Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2012 6:07 PM

If Joan didn't like you, she'd be fake-nice to your face, but talk trash about you once you left the room. Then she'd pick up the phone and get her minions to make your life a living hell.

If Bette didn't like you, she'd tell you. And, she'd make your life a living hell herself.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2012 8:33 AM

Definitely Bette. She was born a bitch and liked it that way. Joan became a bitch as she fought for career survival and was overcome by her neuroses. There are stories of Joan's kindness to people but I've never come across any of Bette. Frank Langella tells a story of seeing Bette in her last years telling her secretary to "Get the car". He says that the way she said it he would not have been surprised if she'd added "...or I'll KILL you!"

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2012 11:06 AM

By many accounts, Celeste can be a nasty piece of work herself.

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2012 11:19 AM

Now, now, girls...you're both big bitches.

by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2012 1:30 PM

[quote]Just ask Celeste Holm.

Why would anyone ask that legendary bitch about ANY of her costars? You don't seem to be up on your Celeste lore, dear.

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2012 1:41 PM

[quote]Joan Or Bette: Who Was The Biggest Bitch?

BIGGER, not biggest, you dumb twat.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2012 1:45 PM

R8 learn to speak English and then maybe you could correct someone. You simply failed with your blunder. He didn't make a mistake, you are the twat! Go and hide under a table, uneducated boorish fuck. I hate your kind. You correct others without knowing the right answer yourself!

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2012 7:56 PM

R8 Thank you! Today's lesson is on comparatives and superlatives.

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2012 8:03 PM

If Joan hadn't adopted those kids she never would have been perceived to be a monster. She had impeccable manners and was a consummate professional.

I think Christina was a spoiled brat and Christopher had emotional problems (the other two don't recollect bad things about their mother). This all happened when Joan's star was fading and the stress was too much for her- she often snapped.

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2012 8:18 PM

R8: Dumb twat? Really? Would you say that to the OP's face? It sounds as if you are the biggest bitch of them all.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2014 5:14 AM

Christina is actually a homophobe too.

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2014 6:06 AM

IMO, CRAWFORD was the bigger. She had a real mean streak in her.

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2014 6:18 AM

Bette all the way

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2018 4:43 PM

Use a poll, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2018 4:44 PM

"Joan became a bitch as she fought for career survival and was overcome by her neuroses."

Neuroses? More like psychosis...and 100 proof VODKA.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2018 4:47 PM

Crawford was a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2018 4:55 PM

I would sure as hell want me an old school New England style Yankee bitch like Miss Bette Davis as a friend over Joan Crawford most any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2018 8:36 PM

Where's the "Oh, dear" grammar cunt to remind us that it should be "Who was the bigger bitch"?

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2018 8:48 PM

I'll vote for Bette. I think she had NPD. Maybe they both did but I think Joan was more damaged from her ghastly childhood than Bette was - so 'maybe' for Joan, it was just hopeless for her to be well balanced from the start -- from what little I know of Bette, she was just a spoiled brat from the get go who abused her sister (maybe mother as well?) Anyhow, sounds more like personality disordered from childhood to me (a la Trump) and I'll give Joan a break in thinking that her bizarre rough childhood just screwed her over too much and it wasn't necessary a PD, or at least it's a more understandable case, a la Marilyn Monroe. Maybe the latter two are borderline - but Bette was likely pure bitch from childhood (imo) - wired in the brain or pampered into it.

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2018 9:11 PM

Many reasons I prefer Bette's bitchiness over Joan's. Bette wasn't fake at all. Joan was so desperate to please, she was fake to everyone, and bitchy behind their backs - except her chirrens.

by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2018 11:57 PM

r20 Actually, that's my job. I'm sorry I let you down.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2018 12:26 AM

I feel that Bette was more of a bitch than Joan. Joan was the one who first pitched 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' to Bette, and the role reinvigorated Bette's career. In return, when they were set to start filming 'Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte', Bette made Joan so miserable with her antics (having a Coke machine installed on the set, for example), that Joan threw in the towel, which was uncharacteristic of her.

I thought it was interesting that Joan remained friendly with two of her ex-husbands (Douglas Fairbanks, Jr and Franchot Tone), and Tone even entrusted her to be his Executor.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2018 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!