Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nat King Cole

My new boyfriend gave me a CD of his to listen to.

I grudgingly did and am completely transfixed. This man's voice is unreal. Absolutely stunning.

by Anonymousreply 72July 10, 2021 6:31 PM

Thank you for this bulletin.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2012 11:58 PM

I only have his Unforgettable album, after having his daughter's album covering his. She was more upbeat / jazzy tempo'd, but I love how well Nat (father) enunciated. If only modern-day singers could enunciate, I'd be happy.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2012 12:04 AM

"Mona Lisa" is beyond a doubt, his best recorded song.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2012 3:49 AM

I love his version of I Remember You.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2012 4:55 AM

And Azure Te with George Shearing, my favorite NKC song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2012 4:57 AM

"Walking My Baby Back Home" is another great one. But " Mona Lisa" is my fave. John Legend has a bit of Nat in his voice, but no one els like him. I believe Sinatra said Nat was his favorite male singer, Ella, female.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2012 5:06 AM

He's wonderful. Christmas Song is my favorite xmas song, Unforgettable is just that. Such a gorgeous, syrupy voice. And L is for Love is such a happy cheery song...

..doesn't hurt that I remember Kurt Browning skating to it every time I hear it too!

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2012 5:15 AM

Good, slow romantic song- " The Very Thought Of You "

Like buttah

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2012 5:23 AM

Nature Boy is beautiful and haunting and a bit gay.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2012 5:39 AM

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer...

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2012 5:47 AM

Let There Be Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2012 5:57 AM

I've just ordered the Nat and George Shearing album, after seeing this - I had it on vinyl but not on cd which had 3 extra tracks, cant wait to get it on my ipod. Its an essential album like Frank's Songs for Swinging Lovers. Nat's has a lot of melancholy songs on it suitable for every mood, and it swings too.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2012 6:10 AM

I remember seeing him in Cat Ballou, mid 60s Jane Fonda flick - he must have died shortly afterwards, he was only in his 40s I think, another victim of smoking ? (he was 45 actually).

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2012 6:13 AM

I fucked his son

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2012 7:02 AM

I agree R12, the Nat King Cole/Shearing album is sublime.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2012 7:15 AM

RE 14 Was that information necessary ? It was such a nice, and gentle thread.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2012 7:30 AM

L-O-V-E is another favorite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2012 7:32 AM

He was a pretty fair piano player, too, ya know. It's kind of unfortunate the way he was re-branded as a "crooner," as that's the only way most people think of him nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2012 5:34 PM

It amazes me that he was initially very reluctant to sing considering that he possessed one of the greatest voices of all time.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2012 5:45 PM

Best LP The Midnight Sessions - NKC with quartet, no strings. He plays piano & sings. Also check out the At The Sands album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2012 5:49 PM

He sings with a great depth of feeling. Much less flash than Sinatra, though they shared arrangers.

Incredible output in terms of quantity and quality. Clooney said he could make ANY song sound good--she was right.

Also a pioneer in crossover: he did country, multi-lingual records, etc.

Some of his non-May, non-Riddle arrangements have too much strings and angel chorus, but he really did leave behind some amazing work, with intimate ballads and up tunes.

Plus, as noted, a wonder at the piano.

Where are all the episodes of his TV show in a box set? The Bear Family Capitol CD boxes are a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2012 6:39 PM

Sinatra is always called the greatest male singer of his time. I have always thought it was NKC. He died young, and of course he was black, so... but his voice and his musicianship were unmatched. He started out as a jazz pianist.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2012 6:47 PM

Autumn Leaves. When you are depressed it knows just what to do.

That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2012 6:48 PM

Nat "King" Cole has been dead for around fifty years. You people are fucking old!

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2012 6:51 PM

R21, Nat Cole was a jazz pianist FIRST. Ever hear of the Nat King Cole trio? They had the first #1 album (78) when they started charting albums in the 1940s.

"Also a pioneer in crossover: he did country, multi-lingual records, etc"

Um, I love Cole, but his attempts at country and Spanish are embarrassingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2012 6:54 PM

I love Rambling Rose, embarrassing or not.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2012 7:00 PM

My great grandmother liked Nat King Cole, and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2012 7:02 PM

[quote]Nat "King" Cole has been dead for around fifty years. You people are fucking old!

The amazing thin about recordings is that they let you hear things you might not have been around for. Even someone like you could by he hang of them, with enough practice!

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2012 7:07 PM

"Even someone like you could by he hang of them, with enough practice!"

Well I guess you got me there.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2012 7:11 PM

another ditto on the piano playing. They were playing some of his piano work on NPR recently and I was blown away.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2012 7:42 PM

RE 24 Do you think 50 years from now, we'll be talking about how amazing Rhinna, Jay Z, Kesha, Britney, or Kanye's voice, and recordings are ? Ain't never gonna happen. This 'old' crop of singers are still popular because they were true artists - they created something lasting, and profound. To use a bad analogy, the reason we still appreciate great art works by Van Gogh, Picasso, Rembrandt, etc. is because they are magnificent, and beautiful - as opposed to the prints you can buy at any Ross, or Marshalls, by unknown artists, which are sloppy, and uninteresting. Those artists will all be forgotten......along with the aformentioned Kanye, etc.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2012 8:11 PM

R31 is right, the classic singers are timeless.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2012 10:25 PM

I like NKC, but I like the (IMO) underappreciated Johnny Hartman better

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2012 10:29 PM

OP, agree with you.

NKC was truly, truly great.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2012 10:31 PM

Nat King Cole and Peggy Lee. They don't get any better than that.

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2012 10:36 PM

Route 66

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2012 10:38 PM

Ditto R33 -- Johnny Hartman is wonderful and almost unknown to most people

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2012 10:58 PM

I didn't know about Hartman until I heard him in The Bridges of Madison County soundtrack. His version of Lush Life with Coltrane is great.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2012 11:42 PM

There Will Never Be Another You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2012 11:49 PM

His version of I WISH YOU LOVE is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2012 11:50 PM

This one's my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2012 11:59 PM

Wow. I was going to invoke Johnny Hartman when somebody mentioned something about great, under appreciated vocalists, but I held back, so as not to divert the thread. I've been a JH fan for over thirty years and it does my heart good to see others feel the same.

Back on Nat, for those who are interested, he has a brother Freddie who is still alive and performing. He has a similar sound, but a unique presence--he's no "tribute" performer, he does his own thing. I've seen him live, and I highly recommend it. These great old cats won't be around much longer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2012 12:57 AM

I think Nat King Cole's Stardust may be the best song ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2012 1:03 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about Stardust. Love his version. Saw a Bette Davis documentary a while back, and they said it was Davis' favorite song. It played over the end credits.

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2012 2:46 AM

I loved it when black vocalists had the option of singing with soul or not. A couple more of my favorites are Gene McDaniels and Danny Williams. I remember dropping acid to Cole's 'Ramblin' Rose' and 'Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer' while the other kids were doping to surf music.

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2012 3:47 AM

I remember Nat sang Stardust at Kennedy's inauguration and you could hear a pin drop. It was magical.

by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2012 4:09 AM

I love old songs. They don't sing like this anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2012 4:16 AM

Stardust - my favorite. I also like A Blossom Fell.

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2012 4:18 AM

His son, Kelly, had a huge dick.

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2012 4:49 AM

Kelly died

by Anonymousreply 50May 17, 2012 5:11 AM

It's a shame that a lot of people only know Natalie Cole through the Unforgettable album.

Here first four albums and especially her live album (Natalie Live!) are spectacular and show incredible soulful singing chops. There was real talk that she would be the next Queen of Soul after Aretha, and those albums show why. But, then the drugs and time away, and though she had some good music when she came back it was nothing like the early years.

by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2012 6:03 AM

You've heard this, haven't you? His estate had a hand in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2012 6:09 AM

September Song

Theres a Lull in my Life ...

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2012 9:44 AM

"Nat "King" Cole has been dead for around fifty years. You people are fucking old!"

And you are a fucking retard.

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2012 1:40 PM

I love his version of September Song that R53 mentions, so beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2012 4:24 PM

Is Donna Summer dead? Can someone confirm this and make a thread on it?

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2012 4:26 PM

Nat King Cole was part of my youth, and no R24 I'm not THAT old but my parents were and I grew up on his music. Sundays were reserved for classical music and opera but the rest of the time it was people like Nat, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Diana Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, the Platters (yeah R47) and The Inkspots (who are still my go-to music for a long relaxing bath).

There was no Top of the Pops or Top 30 in my house till I got enough saved up doing weekend jobs to buy my own little transistor radio (remember those!) for my room. In the end though - and while I do like some of the more "modern" music - I always go back to the "oldies" because the arrangements and orchestrations are just so beautiful and those people had great voices and could actually sing (no auto-tune there).

My favorite Nat King Cole song (well my all time favorite song - I have hundreds of different versions of this) : Smile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 17, 2012 5:53 PM

Nat Cole hated, HATED HATED HATED Rock & Roll's guts!

Natalie told the story on a 1970s Mike Douglas Show (when asked) that Nat hated The Beatles, but since they were on the same record label, he brought home free Beatles albums for her.

Later, when asked what her father would think about being inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of Fame, Natalie said he'd be turning in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 58May 17, 2012 6:53 PM

Nat King Cole, Rosemary Clooney, Sam Cooke. Easily THE most recognizable voices ever. I remember watching him on TV back in the. He always had a lit cigarette in an ashtray on the piano. Back then everyone smoked.

by Anonymousreply 59May 17, 2012 7:16 PM

[quote]It's a shame that a lot of people only know Natalie Cole through the Unforgettable album.

I agree. Her pop/R&B stuff from the 80's was actually really good fun pop fluff, like the "Dangerous" and "Everlasting" albums. I don't know why she doesn't perform songs from those albums instead of the boring easy listening shit she performs all the time.

by Anonymousreply 60February 2, 2013 2:06 AM

Sinatra said Tony Bennett was his favorite vocalist.

I thought of Nat King Cole when the Karen Carpenter/Bette Midler thread was happening. So many people said Karen's voice was boring and had no range but the same could be said about Nat's voice. I'm not hating I like them both. Just sayin.

by Anonymousreply 61February 2, 2013 2:25 AM

Can somebody please start a thread on Natalie Cole so we can discuss her interesting life?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2014 12:43 AM

R58 Judy Garland hated Rock and Roll as well. Lorna told a story about how she would play the Beatles all the time and Judy just hated them and Rock.

I guess they saw it as the end of their era or "Brand" of music.

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2014 1:38 AM

Nat King Cole was also a great jazz pianist, a fact overshadowed by his wonderful voice and charisma.

by Anonymousreply 64January 12, 2014 1:41 AM

Try "Stardust."

by Anonymousreply 65January 12, 2014 1:42 AM

[quote]It amazes me that he was initially very reluctant to sing considering that he possessed one of the greatest voices of all time.

Another way in which he was not unlike Karen Carpenter, who started as a drummer.

by Anonymousreply 66January 12, 2014 1:50 AM

I've read on several other past articles, that Sinatra said his favorite singer was Tony Bennett. And, Sinatra supposedly said that the only male singer, among the newer ones, he could listen to, was Matt Munro.

by Anonymousreply 67January 12, 2014 1:59 AM

Nat "King" Cole had more #1 hits than most other male singers. Most are already mentioned, but he had the #1 bestselling record of 1951, with "Too Young". The previous year, he came in at #2, with "Mona Lisa".

Another favorite #1: (I love you,)For Sentimental Reasons.

Hardly ever heard, but huge favorites of mine: "That's All There Is To That", with The Four Knights in the background.

"They Can't Make Her Cry". Beautiful melody. It's from "Cat Ballou".

by Anonymousreply 68January 12, 2014 2:04 AM

Hello! Can someone start a thread on NATALIE Cole?

by Anonymousreply 69January 12, 2014 5:14 PM

The only Christmas song I like is Nat King Cole's rendition of O! Holy Night. His voice was so beautiful, and his enunciation was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 70January 12, 2014 6:20 PM

I love Nat King Cole's voice. I love listening to singers from the past.

Cole had such incredible pitch, phrasing and tone. Listening to the Super Audio CD of Love is the Thing - absolutely stunning. It feels like he's in the room with you.

by Anonymousreply 71July 10, 2021 6:22 PM

R23 Autumn Leaves is my absolute favorite. Such a beautiful, plaintive song. He also sang this song in Japanese. It is truly amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 10, 2021 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!