Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Famous Women Left Barren b/c of Multiple Illegal Abortions

R54 of the Phyllis McGuire thread got me wondering about all the famous women pre-Roe vs Wade who remained childless, despite multiple marriages and expressed desire for children. Were most of them really messed up from bad/multiple abortions?

Some, like Jane Russell, ended up adopting children.

What other Old Hollywood/Broadway/DC insider women were rumored to have visited illegal chop shops that destroyed their reproductive systems?

Well-known heiresses count, too.

Spill, DL!

by Anonymousreply 117May 19, 2018 1:47 AM

Beyonce Knowles

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2012 3:43 PM

Marilyn Monroe

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2012 3:54 PM

It probably wasn't the number of abortions but badly treated infections afterwards that made these women infertile. The link between sterility and abortion (like the link between breast cancer and abortion) is a nasty lie made up by the anti-choice side.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2012 4:09 PM

Piper Laurie recently revealed her abortion trauma in her new autobiography

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2012 4:11 PM

Myrna Loy. She only had one, and as R3 points out, it was the infection afterwards that caused her infertility. It happened right before she married her first husband, Arthur Hornblow Jr. Sadly, she really loved children and desperately wanted to adopt, but he didn't want to. I think towards the end of her life, she realized that with her career she probably wouldn't have been able to be the kind of mother she wanted to be, so it was for the best.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2012 4:16 PM

Joan Crawford

I have my suspicions about Barbara Stanwyck too.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2012 4:39 PM

Marilyn Monroe, of course

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2012 4:45 PM

Some think that Jane Russell used the bad abortion excuse for being unable to have children because she needed an excuse -- she spent more time banging chicks than her husband(s).

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2012 4:48 PM

Billie Jean King

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2012 4:49 PM

Nancy Kulp

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2012 4:50 PM

Weren't those abortions performed by studio doctors?

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2012 4:50 PM

Who was Russell linked with r8? Female-wise, I mean?

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2012 4:52 PM

Piper Laurie wrote in her book, she was a newcomer at the studio and was terrified of getting dropped.

So she was forced to look elsewhere for her procedure.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2012 4:54 PM

Mary Pickford, Greta Garbo and Kay Francis. But just like Myrna Loy, with that type of career (for Garbo & Francis) no children was best. I don't know why Mary Pickford adopted. She shouldn't have. I've always thought, too about how many women were able to conceive like Clara Bow and Joan Blondell.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2012 4:55 PM

Many women were left unable to have children because of STDs that they caught from male partners. Keith Moon's wife Kim was unable to conceive after he gave her a whopping dose when he came back from his first American tour.

One kind of wonders about Patty Boyd Harrison.

An untreated STD can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, which can make a woman infertile. Nowadays there are ways of getting around scar tissue, but before the mid 1980s that just wasn't available to women.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2012 5:13 PM

Another woman I'll add to the list is Jean Arthur. Her sexuality notwithstanding, Frank Ross (second husband) told his son from another marriage that the reason he and Jean never had children was because she couldn't have them. He never mentioned if that was because of an abortion or otherwise. There's a biography of her called "The Actress Nobody Knew," where the author talks a lot about Jean's famed stage fright, her discomfort in front of the camera and her fear of showing any part of her body, even her legs. He mentions in passing that some thought this phobia could have come from experiencing a trauma during her pre-Hollywood days when she was a fashion model. I suppose if she was unable to have children from an abortion, it could have happened during this time period, because she didn't seem the sort to sleep around.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2012 5:29 PM

Barbara Windsor

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2012 5:46 PM

It's true. I was pregnant seven times with Franchot. I lost them all. :*(

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2012 7:33 PM

I've had more kids pulled out of me than a burning orphanage!

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2012 8:01 PM

hump

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2012 8:04 PM

Well, I guess things worked out well so that they could continue leading their ungodly lives.

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2012 8:06 PM

Kay Francis = gay

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2012 8:11 PM

R16, Jean Arthur = very gay

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2012 8:12 PM

There is no way a movie property such as a promising actress, went to a back-alley abortionist. They had well paid medical professionals on retainer who would do this.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2012 8:21 PM

We're just trying to prevent women from becoming barren.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2012 8:28 PM

R15--I'd say that unfaithfulness & the various VD's their partners brought home to them where why Patti Boyd Harrison Clapton and also Anjelica Huston were unable to conceive.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2012 8:53 PM

R3, please. You're going just a little over here. The assumption here is that multiple BAD abortions is what put these women at risk of infertility or inability to carry a fetus to term. Of course it's good that you reinforced that induced terminations are safe, and that if the first is the fifth is too. But you're just a bit reflexive, dear.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2012 9:02 PM

Sherri Shepherd from The View said she had atleast 12 abortions, she doesn't know the exact number because she stopped counting. She still was able to have a child. He's mildly retarded.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2012 9:03 PM

r28, are you sure he didn't get that from his mother?

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2012 9:09 PM

And Sherri has the gall to judge the gays?

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2012 9:12 PM

I have a friend from college who had six or seven abortions, and various stds (at least five in two years ). She is only 30, but had a really hard time getting pregnant. She ended up having in vitro. I have often wondered if this was because of her carelessness as a younger woman.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2012 9:13 PM

Star Jones

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2012 9:17 PM

Brenda Dickson

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2012 9:19 PM

R28. As far as being mildly retarded, it appears that Sherri Shepherd shares that gene with her son.

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2012 9:21 PM

A longtime friend had an illegal abortion in the late 60's. It's not clear whether that or the STDs she picked up over during the 60's and 70s was responsible for her infertility.

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2012 9:57 PM

You're a pedantic asshole, R27, and I'm sure by this point it's a reflexive trait of your personality.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2012 12:08 PM

Barbara Walters

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2012 12:35 PM

I just don't get why women post-1970s would need to get *multiple* abortions. That is just sickening. Back in the mid-1980s, a friend told me about an abortion she had and it sounded very traumatic. Aside for health reasons and abusive relationships, no woman should ever have more than one abortion.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2012 12:35 PM

bette Davis had multiple abortions, but she was able to conceive.

I wonder about Ginger Rogers and Liza.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2012 12:42 PM

Tubbs

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2012 12:52 PM

Why the fuck do gay men give a shit about actresses having illegal abortions? Jesus, are you [italic]that[/italic] obsessed with women?

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2012 1:18 PM

R16 and R23, my gay great-uncle was a friend of Jean Arthur's, and I wish I could ask him about her. He died before I developed an interest in so many of the things and people he had first-hand knowledge of.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2012 1:39 PM

David Tyler Muir had so many abortions that he miscarried Peter Jennings' child.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2012 1:41 PM

Ginger Rogers didn't want children. She was cray-cray anyway; she'd have made a lousy mother.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2012 2:52 PM

I always suspected this was the reason wire hangers drove Joan apeshit. They were a reminder of her sordid past.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2012 4:09 PM

R41, were you born yesterday? It's because they want to give birth.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2012 4:15 PM

R 39, were Ginger Rogers and Liza trying to have a child together?

Maybe Ginger couldn't conceive because of her unnatural relationship with her husband Roy's trusty horse, Trigger.

But what's really compelling is R42. Just think! Someone who hasn't identified himself had an uncle whom he could have asked about Jean Arthur, but didn't. Now THAT is gossip.

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2012 4:22 PM

1940's actress Jane Russell had an abortion while at Van Nuys HS. She went onto great success, but was unable to have kids.

Her HS boyfriend was Bob Waterfield who went on to play football QB for UCLA and the NFL.

Both parents were unbelievably good looking. Their lost child would have had brawn from the dad and looks from the mom.

Jane Russell regretted her aboriton every day the rest of her life and became a devout Christian. She was good friends with Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2012 9:21 AM

Because brawn is such an attractive quality in a girl.

by Anonymousreply 49September 21, 2012 10:57 AM

[quote]Both parents were unbelievably good looking. Their lost child would have had brawn from the dad and looks from the mom.

That's not how genetics works, dear.

It's not always a perfect blend of "ABC" traits from mom and "DEF" traits from dad. Sometimes, kids take after the "wrong" parent, or are a throwback to a previous generation.

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2012 11:24 AM

Madonna owns this thread. She's had more children pulled out of her than a burning Joan Crawford!

by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2012 12:46 PM

Brenda Dickson did have many, many abortions, but she was still able to conceive.

She had a child and because of its swarthy skin, she left it in a shopping cart in a grocery store parking lot the week it was born. It was already dead from a Valium overdose.

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2012 1:35 PM

Greta Garbo had multiple abortions? Really?

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2012 1:50 PM

"Greta Garbo had multiple abortions? Really?"

No, not really. In Barry Paris's well-researched biography of Garbo he states that Garbo had a take it or leave it attitude towards sex. She had relatively few sexual relationships and some of them were with women. So it's very unlikely that she would have needed to have multiple abortions. She was defintely NOT a slut like Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe, Clara Bow, Louise Brooks and God knows how many others.

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2012 2:27 PM

Suzanne Somers, she admits freely to anyone who asks.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2012 2:29 PM

Marilyn suffered from a severe case of endometriosis from puberty which made it difficult to remain pregnant, not the numerous abortions she's "reported" to have had.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2012 4:45 PM

Wasn't Barbara Stanwyck a dyke?

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2012 6:56 PM

Loretta Young, Rosalind Russell, Irene Dunne....all those Catholic ladies with little or no children. Hmmm....

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2012 10:03 PM

Loretta Young? Now I'm not fan but um not believing that... and Jane Russell was not good friends with Marilyn Monroe. She wished.

by Anonymousreply 59September 22, 2012 1:12 AM

Wallis Sinpson

by Anonymousreply 60September 22, 2012 2:06 AM

Loretta Young had three children, r58. The oldest one was Judy Lewis who was fathered by Clark Gable. Judy was passed off as Loretta's "adopted" daughter. Oh, and Judy Lewis died late last year at 76.

by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2012 6:43 PM

I didn't know Judy Lewis died.

by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2012 6:47 PM

Yes, r62, Judy Lewis died of cancer; I forget what type of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2012 7:08 PM

Can someone explain how wire hanger abortions are supposed to work? I have never understood the concept. Please don't think I'm stupid, but I really don't know. I'm assuming that you stick it up there, then what?

by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2012 7:15 PM

I was about to post that r57.

by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2012 7:45 PM

R64 the wire hanger is unbent so that it's a long skinny metal rod which can then be inserted up through the cervix and used to rupture the amniotic sac causing a miscarriage. The cervix and uterus could also be sufficiently damaged to force the expulsion of the fetus.

by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2012 8:09 PM

[quote]Oh, and Judy Lewis died late last year at 76.

I just loved her and Lambchop.

by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2012 10:10 PM

Yes R41, With Straight famous women we are. The rest no. They were at least having sex with MEN. That's what's important.

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2012 10:43 PM

Dakota Fanning is barren I tell you !

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2012 10:52 PM

Why would Sherri Sheppard have had so many abortions? Did she not ever hear of birth control?

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2012 11:07 PM

I'm finding most names here suspect...

by Anonymousreply 71September 23, 2012 8:51 AM

Nancy Kulp had her abortion performed by Granny, along side the ceement pond. Cousin Besse assisted. "Damn that Ann B Davis".

by Anonymousreply 72September 23, 2012 9:15 AM

Coat hanger abortions only work when the fetus is big enough to hook onto. Not that it matters as a baby is a human and alive the before the egg and sperm unite.

Remember what is passing through your hands is a human being, so don't masturbate.

by Anonymousreply 73September 23, 2012 9:22 AM

I didn't know Marilyn had 'a severe case of endometriosis'. Most likely that would've made intercourse painful for her and yet it's said she had a fairly active sex life. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 74September 23, 2012 9:38 AM

"Ididn't know Marilyn had 'a severe case of endometriosis'. Most likely that would've made intercourse painful for her and yet it's said she had a fairly active sex life. What gives?"

In Anthony Summer's sleazy bio of Marilyn he claims that she always had excruciating pain during her menstrual periods due to endometriosis and that her dozen or so abortions made her insides even more fucked up. He suggests this is why she was never able to have children. He didn't mention any pain during intercourse. It would seem unlikely that intercourse was painful for her; she probably had hundreds of lovers. He did say that sex was mostly unsatisfying to her and that she rarely had orgasms. He quotes one of her lovers as saying "she could never have an orgasm, although she tried so hard."

by Anonymousreply 75September 23, 2012 4:36 PM

I'm not claiming to know what endometriosis is actually like and I'm sure it varies from person to person. However, since it was mentioned that Marilyn's case was severe and I know it can make penetrative sex painful, I assumed it might've been like that for her too.

Based on that bio saying the sex was unsatisfying and that she couldn't orgasm, then the sex might've also been uncomfortable and possibly even painful for her and yet she had all these lovers... It's just sad and pretty fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 76September 23, 2012 5:15 PM

Don't assume that all those grande dames of the cimena were child-free because they were infertile. Some people really like being child-free, and others decide they just wouldn't be good parents, because they're workaholics or something.

Any actress who might wonder if being a movie star might make her a bad mother, has only to look at her peers.

by Anonymousreply 77September 23, 2012 8:41 PM

In the HBO movie "If These Walls Could Talk (the abortion one)" Demi Moore plays a young woman in 1952 who needs an abortion. Her husband dies, and she's drunk and devastated with grief. His younger brother attempts to comfort her and they end up making love. She becomes pregnant. Her husband's family, especially her sister-in-law, are incredibly intrusive. She's in a terrible situation. A nurse, she asks people at the hospital if they know of anyone who can help her. She gets a guy's name and he comes to her house, tells her to lie on the kitchen table and proceeds to dilate her cervix and scrape out her uterus with unsterilized instruments and without anesthetic. The final image of this segment is Moore attempting but failing to phone for help, white-faced, in shock, bleeding like a stuck pig, the floor covered with blood.

It was one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen in a movie. And no doubt it REALLY happened to a lot of women in the days before Roe vs. Wade.

by Anonymousreply 78September 23, 2012 9:06 PM

And some of these child free grand dames didnt want kids because pregnancy would wreck their figures.

by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2012 9:23 PM

I mentioned this on another thread -- My great-grandmother (born 1873) was a church-going Nebraska farmwife at the turn of the century. Her mother had died giving birth to her 23rd child. When she, or one of her nearby farmwife sisters, found themselves with an unwanted pregnancy, they would go to the sister's farm and give each other abortions with a crochet needle. An older mid-wife taught them. No one ever got sick. GG told my mother she probably had 15 abortions that way, some sisters much more.

by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2012 9:54 PM

Many studio contracts of the 50'/ and 60's strictly stated an actress could not get pregnant while under contract or they could be fired and fined. After all, the studio was investing in the profitability of the actress, what they could sell. Many actresses were willing to accept sex with studio execs as a way of moving up. Marilyn was sort of a Anna Nichole and that was truly when she was able to move up a bit.......sad but true for many actresses in that era and they knew it as much as the execs knew they would usually have their way with them. There was a local drugstore that MM use to frequent, along with other up comers back then. Not only were pills obtained. There was supposedly a back room for unwanted pregnancies. Seems unimaginable today, but not then.

by Anonymousreply 81May 30, 2013 6:35 AM

I would LOVE a spiritual advisor to join this post and reveal the secrets of that generation......particularly Marilyn. Did she have love letters from the Kennedy's? Was she in Mexico to infiltrate Castro, adopt a girl, marry DiMaggio again, or date An actor? Did she secretively have a love child with someone? Did the mafia have raunchy pictures of her for blackmail? Is N. Miracle her secret daughter or a fake? Did she receive a hot shot or overdose? Was she mentally ill or made to look that way? Feel free to pipe in on JFK as well. Was Oswald hired by our government? Was he the patsy? Is there really a Kennedy curse? I feel there are people alive now who have heard things from reliable sources and they are frightened to speak about it, but boy wouldn't it be something to know some of the answers. It fascinates me that questionable events happened back then and the truth to them all still is so questionable.

by Anonymousreply 82May 30, 2013 7:30 AM

As for Barbara Windsor, she openly admits that to having four abortions. Besides, the actress maintains, she never wanted children ever.

by Anonymousreply 83July 22, 2013 1:45 PM

saddest thread ever..

by Anonymousreply 84November 26, 2013 4:44 PM

Barbara Stanwyck, according to the linked thread, had an abortion when she was 12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 27, 2013 3:17 AM

The "abortions cause sterilization" fear mongering is an old tactic and, for the most part, completely untrue.

It's usually promulgated by Fundie Republitards and should be scoffed at and ignored.

Now, infections that went untreated because abortions were not safe and not legal - that was real. In some countries it still is real. It's one of the very good reasons why abortions must be kept safe, legal and accessible today.

by Anonymousreply 86November 27, 2013 3:31 AM

What about Sophia Loren?

by Anonymousreply 87August 1, 2014 4:25 AM

James Garner's mother died from an illegal abortion.

by Anonymousreply 88August 1, 2014 5:27 AM

Yoko Ono made a big deal/art project about having "pre-emptive abortions" in 1969 where she stood on a pedestal and had a dialogue with a coat hanger she would shove up her twat nightly, at sunset.

She only stopped when she got pregnant with Sean.

by Anonymousreply 89August 1, 2014 5:34 AM

Barbara Bush. She had to adopt all her kids from Satan.

by Anonymousreply 90August 1, 2014 5:48 AM

r10

Here abortion made her gay, not sterile.

by Anonymousreply 91August 1, 2014 8:50 AM

That Sherri woman from The View

by Anonymousreply 92August 1, 2014 9:50 AM

You guys are incredibly ignorant about women and their anatomy. This thread is like the blind leading the blind.

By the way, my best friend has severe endometriosis -- and she loves sex and has multiple orgasms.

In addition, if Marilyn Monroe was trying so hard to have an orgasm, her partners were doing it wrong (i.e., ignoring the clitoris). But it was (and sometimes still is) customary to blame the women.

by Anonymousreply 93August 1, 2014 10:53 AM

The world today is probably just a little bit better because Marilyn Monroe couldn't procreate.

by Anonymousreply 94August 1, 2014 11:09 AM

Bumping - Kay Francis's diaries are at Wesleyan and if you google there are excerpts. She seems to have chronicled everybody she slept with (she slept around), including women but by no means mostly women. One woman she slept with she slept with between train stops while traveling on something like the Super Chief. Was all "Slept with Katty just because she wanted to - damn it!"

Would berate herself, calling herself a slut, counting up her abortions, couldn't figure out who the father was, stuff like that. Pretty hectic. She had at least seven abortions (I think more) two abortions inside .. four weeks? Which I didn't think was biologically possible but I guess it was. She comes off very very likable, but also somebody who was constantly drunk, and when drunk would have sex with anyone any time almost anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 95January 30, 2015 1:42 AM

The pro-abortion folks--they'll scream they are not "pro" abortion, yet will call others "anti" choice...women always have a choice...don't do the deed, if you don't have the protection (DUH!)--will give all types of excuses for icons having back alley abortions & then bemoan the butchery & the aftermath of these "stars" never being able to have children again. Of course, when they did, many of them shipped their children off to Switzerland for their education & so these bothersome little guttersnipes didn't impact their precious careers (hello, for example, Shirley MacLaine). In these selfish stars, it was probably a more humane thing that after their botched abortions, they could not longer conceive.

by Anonymousreply 96April 20, 2015 2:45 AM

Professional Bully / murderess Tina Fey, barren as a granite quarry due to repeated abortions and various untreated STDs

by Anonymousreply 97April 20, 2015 2:55 AM

Hollywood legend has it that every time loretta Young had an abortion she would donate money to build a Catholic Church in Los Angeles, and she funded a LOT of churches.

by Anonymousreply 98April 20, 2015 3:08 AM

Jeanette MacDonald

Jean Harlow

Ginger Rogers

by Anonymousreply 99April 20, 2015 3:33 AM

I swallowed any potential abortions thrust upon me.

by Anonymousreply 100April 20, 2015 4:33 AM

If 99.9% of all male movie stars, living or dead, were/are homosexuals , as years of reading DL have shown time and time again, how in the HELL are all these Hollywood sluts getting knocked up over and over again?

They can't ALL have been Mickey Rooneys, could they?

by Anonymousreply 101May 1, 2015 2:25 PM

^ They must've been having sex with non-actors, then.

by Anonymousreply 102November 15, 2017 12:12 AM

Betty White, I'd like to think.

Actually, I'd like to think she was willingly childfree and had an abortion or two that may or may not have resulted in whatever infection supposedly renders women barren, and didn't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 103November 15, 2017 12:15 AM

Frank Sinatra's mother was the neighborhood fixer

by Anonymousreply 104November 15, 2017 12:52 AM

Fuck you, R38. It's none of your business whether a woman has zero or three dozen abortions.

by Anonymousreply 105November 15, 2017 1:30 AM

[italics]That woman[italics]

by Anonymousreply 106November 15, 2017 1:48 AM

Lana Turner

Strickling, who was by now referred to as a “fixer,” had his hands full with Turner. The “Sweater Girl” allegedly found herself pregnant by bandleader Artie Shaw in 1941, and Strickling arranged an abortion during her publicity tour of Hawaii. The procedure took place without anesthesia, on her hotel bed. Turner’s mother covered her mouth with her hand to stifle her daughter’s cries.

by Anonymousreply 107November 15, 2017 2:10 AM

R28. OMG, what kind of moron needs to have 12 abortions? And she always talks about being so Christian.

by Anonymousreply 108May 18, 2018 11:54 PM

How very dare you?!

by Anonymousreply 109May 18, 2018 11:57 PM

This is a super interesting thread. But, guys, my mom has friends who had trouble conceiving. There ARE other reasons for infertility!

Having said that, the autobiography of Liz Tilberis is very touching. She passed away of ovarian cancer, and she was convinced that fertility treatments she underwent were the cause of her illness.

She had suffered from P.elvic Inflammatory Disease, which may have rendered her infertile.

by Anonymousreply 110May 19, 2018 12:01 AM

R64 Most of the women who used the coat hanger technique (even if the hanger was sterilized) pre Roe v Wade, suffered horribly and didn't live to tell their story. Most died within days. Many bled out and got life-threatening infections. At best, the survivors somehow lived through it and ended up with PID. That was the best case scenario. The few who lived to tell said it was more painful than surgery without anesthesia.

Most of the straight baby-boomers girls I attended high school and college with would not have premarital sex. Birth control and abortion were not available to them back then. So it was too risky and a risk most weren't willing to take.

Back then Drs feared losing their medical license and practice, and therefore refused to perform abortions. No teen girl/woman was worth losing everything for and possibly facing jail time as well. Only the elite could get a safe abortion, the same that will occur if Trump overturns Roe v. Wade. He's trying, although he won't and can't overturn Roe v Wade. He's full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 111May 19, 2018 12:18 AM

I only wish...

by Anonymousreply 112May 19, 2018 12:28 AM

Angela Lansbury

Bea Arthur

by Anonymousreply 113May 19, 2018 12:40 AM

Who’s Brenda Dickson?

by Anonymousreply 114May 19, 2018 12:55 AM

Just for clarity, the coat hanger/knitting needle trick is not designed to stab a fetus. The foreign object should provoke a reaction and the womb should evacuate everything. An illegal abortion that causes an infection means that the hanger/needle was not clean or pierced something.

by Anonymousreply 115May 19, 2018 1:20 AM

^ Yes, that's true, and then there were also back alley abortions performed by doctors who didn't use a coat hanger or knitting needle but nevertheless didn't have the proper equipment. They were profiting off of the desperate women they exploited. Hence, back alley abortions. I pray we never go back to those dark days.

by Anonymousreply 116May 19, 2018 1:29 AM

[quote] I don't know why Mary Pickford adopted. She shouldn't have

I read that Pickford took custody of her niece Gwynne, after the 1928 death of her mother Charlotte, who adopted Gwynne from her other daughter Lottie in 1920. I didn't know about Mary Pickford's abortions, I'd read in the [italic]Doug & Mary[/italic] bio that Mary blamed her infertility on moving a heavy trunk (I didn't believe that when I read it, but I didn't know about abortions). It's not like Jack Pickford & his bride at the time Olive Thomas were worthy guardians of Gwynne...

by Anonymousreply 117May 19, 2018 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!