Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ann Reinking's version of AGAINST ALL ODDS

It's never been posted on Youtube in all of these years so far. I'd love to watch it, as it's supposed to be legendary in its awfulness. From what I heard, she did an interpretive dance around it, and Collins hated it so much that he bashed her in the media for months afterwards. But no one seems to have it.

Did Reinking pay to have the tapes burned?

by Anonymousreply 8812/02/2014

Phil Collins wasn't even asked to sing the song that night, even though he attended the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 103/31/2012

OMG...she didnt try to do an interpretive dance around but she tried to act out the song rather than sing it. My friends and I still mimic it to this day...

by Anonymousreply 203/31/2012

It was worse than Rob Lowe's dance with Snow White.

by Anonymousreply 303/31/2012

There was a pas de deux with the outstanding Gary Chryst who played the pimp in Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield." At one time, there was Ann and Gary dancing while her prerecorded vocals played in the background. She was later even a presenter, which caused many to wonder who she was fucking. The answer? Billionaire Herb Allen.

It wrecked her Hollywood career, which was taking flight with her very appealing performance in the Dudley Moore comedy "Micki and Maude."

This performance was seen as the catalyst for allowing the original performers to do their nominated songs instead of trying for production numbers.

by Anonymousreply 503/31/2012

I remember the controversy. They allowed deniece williams and ray parker jr. to perform their hit songs. But not kenny loggins, stevie wonder and phil collins. Stevie wonder ended up winning. Dont know if kenny loggins was there or not. But people were really upset about phil collins. I think all the songs ended up being performed as production numbers. And he didnt fit in with that.

by Anonymousreply 603/31/2012

They should just have one super-talented singer do all of the nominated songs. They did that one year and it was a smash hit. I, uh, she got to have a shitload of costume changes, too.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2012

I have only heard of this fiasco, but have never seen it. I wish someone would put it up on Youtube. From what I've heard over the years, it really was as awful as legend would have it.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2012

Isn't it amazing that there are no pictures or clips of it on the internet at all?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2012

It was Against All THE Odds.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2012

#92 on this list...

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2012

I saw it when it originally aired, and yes, it was just as god-awful as you have heard.

by Anonymousreply 1203/02/2013

I have it on videotape. If I were to digitize it and put it on youtube, would I get kicked off or banned from youtube?

by Anonymousreply 1303/02/2013

Really a shame because she was stunning in All That Jazz and really good in Micki and Maude. I know she was supposed to star opposite Matthew Broderick in No Small Affair but it was recast with Demi Moore and Jon Cryer.

She's an amazing dancer and choreographer and very well respected in the theatre community where no one gives a rats ass about the oscars.

by Anonymousreply 1403/02/2013

Oooh, pretty please, r13!!!

by Anonymousreply 1503/02/2013

Bump this motherfucker! I've got to see this!

by Anonymousreply 1603/03/2014

Does anyone remember how the Oscars treated the nomination of the song "Purple Rain"? He accepted the award onstage (link) but I can't find anything about a performance.

by Anonymousreply 1703/03/2014

r17 It was the typical Prince live performance; in other words, he and The Revolution tore it up, and received a standing ovation. It was the highlight of the evening.

by Anonymousreply 1803/03/2014

I agree with r14. I know this board hates her, but I just have to disagree - she was stunning, a great dancer, a decent if deep voiced singer, and a good enough actress who probably would have gotten better.

But it this really why her movie career ended? Especially in the days before Internet and google, I can't imagine something like this literally derailing a career to the point where she never acted again short of a Cosby Show appearance. Or even if it was that much of a career killer, she still would done some low grade direct to video crap and bit parts here and there. The fact that she literally did NOTHING leads me to believe that it was more voluntary, but it has always been a mystery to me anyway. Maybe Herb Allen gave her some huge chunk of change so she was set for life?

by Anonymousreply 1903/03/2014

Crickets? I've actually been curious about this for some time (why she suddenly stopped working, that is).

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2014

R 13 - can I buy a copy of this perfomance from you

by Anonymousreply 2105/07/2014

Is it as good as Lucille Ball's interpretation of "It's Today"?

by Anonymousreply 2205/08/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2305/08/2014

Being in ANNIE didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 2405/08/2014

The video is now on youtube

by Anonymousreply 2511/29/2014

Take a look at me. NOW!

by Anonymousreply 2611/29/2014

Take a look at it now!

by Anonymousreply 2711/29/2014

This is it

by Anonymousreply 2811/29/2014

I tried to give it a little 'oh, that was just the coked-out 80s' context, but no, that truly was career-ending awful, like a Molly Shannon SNL sketch crossed with some white Miss America contestant singing the Dreamgirls songbook. And the pimp from Pat Benetar's video is just the right addition of wtf.

by Anonymousreply 2911/29/2014

Wow, that was really bad. Was Reinking ever considered a singer or was she mostly just known for dancing?

by Anonymousreply 3011/29/2014

I love the end of it. How she looks like she thing she really killed it. Well she did. Just not in the way she thinks.

by Anonymousreply 3111/29/2014

Phil Collins asked/inquired twice (once in writing) about performing the song.

He was told they would prefer someone that was a member of the AMPAS to perform the song.

He said the letter denying his request started with "Dear Phillip"

I watched the Oscar broadcast live and Reinking's performance of "against all odds" was embarrassingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 3211/29/2014

That shouldn't have been a career-ending performance, that should have been a singing-live-on-national-TV-ending performance.

Thanks for finding it, R28!

by Anonymousreply 3311/29/2014

In the very beginning of that video, you see Angela Lansbury in a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 3411/29/2014

She wasn't singing live and I posted the clip first, so you're 0 for 2, R33.

by Anonymousreply 3511/29/2014

It looked to me like she sang the first part live, and then the recording took over as the dancing started.

by Anonymousreply 3611/29/2014

As a singer, Ann Reinking is quite a dancer.

It was particularly funny how she kept singing against all THE odds ........ and when she whisper/screeched that 'so take a look at me now'

I would've rather seen them perform the hooker ho-down from 'Love Is A Battlefield' ..

by Anonymousreply 3711/29/2014

Oh my god.

Come back, AnnE, all is forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 3811/29/2014

In your face, Ann.

I danced with him better.

Starting at 3:18

by Anonymousreply 3911/29/2014

I love the hooker hoe down! Thanks r37 and 39. Always loved Pat' take on Sweet Charity.

by Anonymousreply 4011/29/2014

She was beautiful and a great dancer. That lame performance did not end her career. She returned to Broadway and won awards for acting, directing and choreography (Chicago, Fosse).

by Anonymousreply 4111/29/2014

Except for the end, where she overdid it just a tad, I still don't get what was wrong with that. Put it this way...I've seen far worse Oscar performances.

Or has anyone seen the Teri Garr Oscar opening from I think '86? If that had been anyone else, that probably would have been a career ender - the whole concept was ridiculous, she was singing completely off key (you think THIS was bad?) and the dancing was pretty amateurish. But she's Teri Garr and she's still adorable even if she can't sing a note that you can't possibly hold it against her.

by Anonymousreply 4211/29/2014

Reinking was great and got a little residual resentment that Collins (then at his peak) wasn't allowed to sing his own song. Nobody thought she butchered it. But she wasn't given much of a fair shake with the "controversy" pre-show.

Loved her then, watch her now on the Criterion version of "All That Jazz". She's held up well though I wouldn't recognize her on the street these days.

By the way, I watched that 1984 Oscar ceremony at a big manager's apartment -- with Phyllis Diller sitting across the table from me the whole night (and groaning "Jesus" when Sally Field gave her famous bad speech.) She didn't say one word to me the whole night, ha. Dorothy Lamour at least smiled in my direction -- once.

by Anonymousreply 4311/29/2014

R43 I saw her in the Food Emporium sometime in the early 2000s. She was jowlier, of course, but I definitely recognized her.

Btw her son was born in the 90s and she quit the biz well before that - for those saying his illness was the reason she left.

by Anonymousreply 4411/29/2014

Saw her and Tommy Tune (!) doing "Bye Bye Birdie" in Long Beach during her "final act" before retirement. Man, those legs... and, yes, she could sing too.

She is responsible for one of my all time favorite film moments too, one I actually show acting students: that choky voiced delivery to Joe Gideon, "I wish you weren't so generous with your cock." All hers.

by Anonymousreply 4511/29/2014

P.S. Just meet her, R42, and you'll change your tune (or out of tune).

by Anonymousreply 4611/29/2014

OMG. I haven't seen that since it aired, and I'm just as WTF about it now as I was in middle school.

by Anonymousreply 4711/30/2014

It was really not good, but not THAT bad.

It's one of those bad showbiz moments that gets blown way out of proportion, like Supertrain or Life With Lucy—reputed to be napalm but actually just meh.

Anyway - everyone download this quick in case it gets deleted from YouTube!

by Anonymousreply 4811/30/2014

Yes, it is indeed awful. She's overwrought, has a... character voice, and phrases badly. Oh, and she gets the fucking lyrics wrong on a playback vocal ("Against all THE odds").

Strange that they had her dance with a man who appears shorter than her

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2014

The entire 1985 Academy Awards is on YouTube btw.

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2014

Just for you OP.

by Anonymousreply 5111/30/2014

Teri Garr opening...

by Anonymousreply 5211/30/2014

I preferred Ann Reinking's performance on 'Night of 100 Stars". Wardrobe by Oscar de la Rent, hair by Sticking Her Head Out the Window of Her Limo.

by Anonymousreply 5311/30/2014

Stick around for a minute if you click on R53's link and check out who's wearing Pauline Trigere!

by Anonymousreply 5411/30/2014

Not quite as bad as Ireland's Linda Martin and her cover version of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky":

by Anonymousreply 5511/30/2014

I was 15 when that ceremony aired and the funny thing is, the only 2 moments I remember are Sally Field's win and this atrocity.

I can't imagine that Deniece Williams and Ray Parker, Jr., were members of AMPAS, so that can't be the reason Collins wasn't allowed to perform his song.

In fact, he got cheated out of performing his next nominated song, "Two Hearts" from "Buster" (1988); since there were only 3 songs nominated that year, the Academy decided not have any of them performed! Shocking, I know. (That was the year Carly Simon won for "Let the River Run" -- incidentally, she also got cheated out of performing her other nominated song at the Oscars -- 1977's "Nobody Does it Better" was performed by Aretha Franklin, of all people.)

by Anonymousreply 5611/30/2014

Here's Aretha Franklin's performance of "Nobody Does It Better" at the Oscars:

by Anonymousreply 5711/30/2014

Terri Garr's opening number was pretty typical of them all. Since the beginning was meant to be funny anyway and the end had her surrounded by a bunch of dancers, even with her bad singing ....it didn't come off much worse than others.

Among the worst ever was the one that aired the same night as Snow White/Rob Lowe ....

Presenting the 'Stars Of Tomorrow' .... well, not so much ! But always fun to see Corey 'Michael Jackson' Feldman.

Starts at 4:10

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2014

One of Ann Reinking's shining hours: Big Noise from Winnetka, a pas de deux with Jeff Hyslop

by Anonymousreply 5911/30/2014

Can someone post a link to the Ann Reinking performance? I can't seem to find it on Youtube.

TIA

by Anonymousreply 6011/30/2014

"Against all THE odds"

Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 6111/30/2014

R56 I was thinking the same thing. Collins was a bigger name in 1985 than Williams and Parker jr. Yet they performed their hit songs. Even though Kenny Loggins and Stevie Wonder didn't perform theirs. Wonder was bigger than all of them put together at the time! I don't know wtf they were thinking.

by Anonymousreply 6211/30/2014

I don't look so bad now, do I?

by Anonymousreply 6311/30/2014

[quote] I don't look so bad now, do I?

[quote] Alyson Reed

Have you lost the weight?

by Anonymousreply 6411/30/2014

Yeah, I don't know what the Oscars people were thinking that year. It was, I think, the only time that all 5 nominees were #1 hits, and they had Debbie Allen do Footloose and Ann Reinking do Against All Odds. And Phil Collins wrote the song, so he was a nominee that night.

I don't know why she kept singing "Against all the Odds" when it doesn't fit the music.

by Anonymousreply 6511/30/2014

OP, don't watch it. I still can't get it out of my mind.

by Anonymousreply 6611/30/2014

Erm, let's start with the fact that Ann Reinking CANNOT sing.

by Anonymousreply 6711/30/2014

The panties? Where were the panties?

by Anonymousreply 6811/30/2014

Doesn't Phil Collins say "against the odds" (you coming back to me is...) in his own version? Besides, she had to put her thumbprint on it, right?

Go watch the clip of Dyan Cannon (!) singing a nominated song and the mike going out on her. That's more of a hoot than this.

by Anonymousreply 6911/30/2014

[quote]Not quite as bad as Ireland's Linda Martin and her cover version of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky"

LOL! Is this the inspiration for Tracy Ullman's Linda Granger character?

by Anonymousreply 7011/30/2014

r53 thanks for the link to Nigh of 100 Stars. I haven't thought about that show in years.

For the love of God what was Toukie Smith doing in that parade people? And she wasn't even wearing a design by her brother.

by Anonymousreply 7111/30/2014

I remember Against All THE Odds as well. We were howling when it was performed.

by Anonymousreply 7211/30/2014

The night of the Teri Garr debacle I was in the hospital and a couple of friends were visiting. We just looked at each other, stunned. Finally I said, already knowing the answer, "maybe it's SUPPOSED to be funny." We all just shook our heads.

by Anonymousreply 7311/30/2014

I don't believe that this performance killed Ann Reinking's film career. No, IMHO her film career fizzled out quickly because she couldn't really act. Yes, her BF Fosse got a very good performance out of her in "All That Jazz", but in other films she was a stiff and chilly presence. She was a great dancer, but that was it.

And in R52's clip, the 80s fashions on the red carpet are much more WTF than the opening musical number.

by Anonymousreply 7411/30/2014

And they got the knives out for me for less than that!

by Anonymousreply 7511/30/2014

R52 just watched that again and it's actually worse then I remembered. Girl really can't sing, and in theory that should have been much more of a "career killer" then Reinking's performance. And I adore Garr (despite the anti-Garr troll's best efforts), so I'm hardly saying this out of any sort of bias.

Was this the performance where Garr insinuated (in her book) that she caught Lange in the audience giving her the stink-eye? I get confused because her timeline for that book was so fucking all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 7611/30/2014

Ann's film career ended when she and Herb Allen got a divorce.

by Anonymousreply 7711/30/2014

R74 I thought she was funny in Micki and Maude and made the most of what was always an underwritten part in Annie. Plus she was just starting out. I think she only would have gotten better had she kept at it.

by Anonymousreply 7811/30/2014

It's not a great song to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 7911/30/2014

R79 that's true. Btw, has anyone here actually seen the movie? Because I know no one has ever seen "Buster."

by Anonymousreply 8011/30/2014

[quote]an underwritten part in Annie.

Did someone say underpants?

by Anonymousreply 8111/30/2014

r80, "Against All Odds" was a minor hit back in 1984 -- I remember my mom taking me to see it -- besides Jeff Bridges, it had Rachel Ward as the leading lady, just coming off the colossally successful miniseries "The Thorn Birds."

by Anonymousreply 8211/30/2014

I remember the last shot being a long close-up of Rachel Ward which any actress would envy. But I also remember thinking that she aint Garbo - after a while her face had nothing more to reveal.

by Anonymousreply 8312/01/2014

I like the Pauline Kael review of Rachel Ward in this movie: "After a while, you walk away thinking 'She's not as pretty as I thought she was.'" (I paraphrase). It really was downhill from there for her.

She married Byron Brown and became an Aussie hausfrau.

by Anonymousreply 8412/01/2014

It honestly couldn't hold a candle to Rob Lowe's Proud Mary with Snow White, which involved the humiliation of several older stars as well.

by Anonymousreply 8512/01/2014

"The night of the Teri Garr debacle I was in the hospital and a couple of friends were visiting. "

Funny thing, I've spent an incredible number of Oscar nights in hospitals, as a patient, visitor, volunteer, and worker.

Maybe that's the real "Oscar Curse", R73, at least for some of us.

by Anonymousreply 8612/02/2014

[quote]Was this the performance where Garr insinuated (in her book) that she caught Lange in the audience giving her the stink-eye? I get confused because her timeline for that book was so fucking all over the place.

Yes, R76. She looked out into the audience and saw Sam Shepard and Jessica Lange "staring smugly" back at her.

by Anonymousreply 8712/02/2014
Need more help? Click Here.