Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Aging of a Rock Star

Booze, drugs and groupies can take a toll on a body. Here is a collection of rock stars when some of them first appeared on the scene and then present day. Don't judge too harshly, you're going to be there too someday.

by Anonymousreply 11504/22/2015

It's kind of surprising that the guys from Motley Crue don't look worse. David Lee Roth is unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 503/21/2012

[quote]Don't judge too harshly, you're going to be there too someday.

Yeah, but I'm not going to look THAT shitty.

by Anonymousreply 1003/21/2012

What the HELL happened to Linda Ronstadt? OMFG.

Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx look surprisingly great.

by Anonymousreply 1303/21/2012

If all the chunky ones lost a little weight, they'd look really good.

All the ones who were skinny and did a lot of drugs look like shit warmed over.

by Anonymousreply 1403/21/2012

Grace Slick would look great for 72 if she lost a bit of weight.

by Anonymousreply 1603/21/2012

Bruce Springsteen still looks very well put together.

Who the hell does Mick Jagger think he's fooling with that wig he's been wearing for decades. His face looks like it's ready to slide off. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 1703/21/2012

Most of these people have the same hair style they had 30 years ago. It looks ridicilous.

Mick Jagger looks terrible, even worse than Keith Richards.

by Anonymousreply 2103/21/2012

All people get old.

by Anonymousreply 2203/21/2012

Bruce has had LOTS of work done. D'ya remember that creepy Superbowl show?

by Anonymousreply 2303/21/2012

Joan Jett, Pat Benatar and Jon Bon Jovi all still look pretty good, just older. But let's face it, most of the whole group were pretty homely to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 2403/21/2012

bonjovi looks like he has lost some chest hair, or maybe it just looks that way due to graying or the hair simply getting lighter in color.

by Anonymousreply 2603/21/2012

I would have liked to see Janis Joplin age.

by Anonymousreply 2703/21/2012

Jagger and Richards aged most.

Alice Cooper was always ugly, he just wilted a bit.

Iggy Pop needs to cover that shit up.

by Anonymousreply 2803/21/2012

Grace Slick looks like your average grandma. Hard to believe she was once the acid dropping wild child that slept with the entire band, save Marty Balin.

by Anonymousreply 3003/21/2012

R30 - Grace looks lovely, considering she was once the acid dropping etc...

She's 72, fur chrissakes....

by Anonymousreply 3103/21/2012

Bruce Springsteen has had some work done, but it's excellent work. He looks fantastic for 62 or whatever he is.

I think Grace Slick looks great for her age, although a bit heavy. Hell, what is a 72-year old supposed to look like? Considering Grace's history with the bottle and kicking the shit out of cops, she looks well.

by Anonymousreply 3303/21/2012

What's Joan Jett's secret? Eating pussy?

by Anonymousreply 3403/21/2012

R1. I've heard your nose and ears continue to grow as you age so there IS reason to fear. I had my deviated septum fixed a few years ago and the doctor told me o didn't have to worry about my nose growing bigger as I aged because the nose job would fix that.

I guess I'll have to get my ears fixed too at some point so they don't look like Kirk Douglas'. OY

by Anonymousreply 3503/21/2012

I often wonder whether the nose and ears grow or the face shrinks as we get older. Cheeks seem to disappear as do lips. That makes the nose and ears look bigger.

by Anonymousreply 3703/21/2012

Yes, earlobes grow longer.

You lose the fat in your face -- your cheeks. Lips thinning out is well known.

by Anonymousreply 3803/21/2012

WIGS: Ronnie Wood, Elton John, Linda Rondstat, Young Tommy Lee

FALSE TEETH/VENEERS/CAPS: Ted Nugent, Keith Richards, James Hetfield, Eddie Van Halen, Charlie Watts, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Billy Idol.

BOTOX: Stevie Nicks, Nancy Wilson

COSMETIC SURGERY: Steve Tyler, Bret Michaels, Rod Stewart, Pat Benatar, Springsteen, Bowie.

LOOKING BETTER NOW!: Simon LeBon, Nugent, Bono

by Anonymousreply 3903/21/2012

I can't find the pic I want my computer is on it's last legs and I can only have one window open at a time so maybe someone else can find a good pic, but Nuno Bettencourt, formerly of Extreme and a damn good guitart player, has aged pretty well. I saw him perform in Japan a while back and was amazed by how fine he still looks.

R37, I have heard that the nose and ears continue to grow as we age and the fat in adipose tissue (lips and cheeks) shrinks. So you're right.

by Anonymousreply 4003/21/2012

I think there are even more bad, expensive, custom hairpieces/wigs/weaves than R39 lists.

by Anonymousreply 4103/21/2012

[quote]Jagger and Richards aged most

Well that would make sense, since they, along with McCartney, Starr, Crosby, Young, and Slick (who coincidentally look pretty aged as well) are the OLDEST of the bunch, who have been rock stars for the longest!

Not fair comparing them to Joan Jett or Sinead O'Connor

by Anonymousreply 4203/21/2012

Considering how old they are, and how much drugs, drinking and smoking they've done I would have expected worse. Agree with the poster on Bowie, he was beautiful for so long, but it's sad to see what happened since

by Anonymousreply 4303/21/2012

How do you guys think you will look in 30+ years?

by Anonymousreply 4403/21/2012

[quote]How do you guys think you will look in 30+ years?

by Anonymousreply 4503/21/2012

Since I've never been a celebrity rock star, nobody's going to care, R44.

Robert Plant looks like Methuselah and Patti Smith has Marty Feldman eyes.

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2012

They generally look just fine. Johnny Rotten and Meatloaf both looked like freaks when younger so of course they are not swoon-worthy now.

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2012

OK, R42, let me rephrase it:

Jagger looks like his face has melted.

Richards looks like he's smoked 10 packs of Pall Malls a day from the crib.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2012

Since most of them weren't that great-looking even when they were young, their aged versions aren't that big a deal.

Patti Smith and Robert Plant and Mick Jagger and Steve Perry and Elton John look REALLY bad. Axl Rose has had so much plastic surgery he doesn't look real. Most of the others don't look that bad, probably due to careful plastic surgery and botox.

by Anonymousreply 4903/21/2012

Sinead still looks great! Mostly.

Great skin, lively look in her face. She may be a little chubby but she's had 4 kids and quite a few mental breakdowns.

She could do with some contacts and maybe lose the biker-chick outfits. And she also sounds amazing these days.

by Anonymousreply 5003/21/2012

A lot of these people were pretty unattractive to begin with. Joan Jett and Pat Benatar look great although I am sure some PS was involved.

by Anonymousreply 5103/21/2012

Jon Bonjovi actually looks better to me. He certainly wins if this is a contest.

by Anonymousreply 5203/21/2012

I saw Ringo and Paul at Ringo's 70th birthday at Radio City. I remember laughing at how Ringo turned out to be the best-looking Beatle in the end.

by Anonymousreply 5303/21/2012

For R40. Nuno Bettencourt. 45 yrs old. Damn

by Anonymousreply 5403/21/2012

[quote]Sinead still looks great! Mostly.

Not such a great feat, as she's also the youngest. At 45, she hadn't even been born by the time The Beatles, Rolling Stones, et al had multiple gold albums.

by Anonymousreply 5503/21/2012

Thanks R54

by Anonymousreply 5603/21/2012

[quote]If all the chunky ones lost a little weight, they'd look really good.

The reason they look better than the skinny ones is the extra weight.

Your ass or your face is real.

The Rolling Stones have made a ton of money, but they all look like shit. It's obvious the life was hard on them.

by Anonymousreply 5703/21/2012

[quote]The Rolling Stones have made a ton of money, but they all look like shit. It's obvious the life was hard on them.

...and they're older - by 20 years - than the 80's band guys!

Remove the hair on all four of them (most are wigs/weaves, anyway), and you'll see typical 70 year olds!

by Anonymousreply 5803/21/2012

I wish some of them would give up the rocker hair. They look homeless and living under the freeway overpass in a cardboard box.

by Anonymousreply 5903/21/2012

McCartney and Ringo look a hell of a lot better than Jagger and Richards.

Isn't Bill Wyman close to 80? He had to retire from the Stones a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 6003/21/2012

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts (not pictured in the link) has aged better than his bandmates. Must be that "natural elegance." I always thought he looked pretty good in the "Start Me Up" video, too.

by Anonymousreply 6103/21/2012

I notice a lot of oldster male rock stars -- Ringo, Roger Daltrey, Bill Wyman, Ozzie Osbourne, Bono, Elton John -- wear tinted glasses. I guess it hides some of their aging process.

by Anonymousreply 6203/21/2012

When I was a kid, I remeber we laughed at Charlie Watts and his wife Shirley and said, "They look like horses."

Well, now they are successful horse breeders.

by Anonymousreply 6303/21/2012

R61 - Charlie Watts is there. He's under Eric Clapton. But I agree, he looks very good for 70.

by Anonymousreply 6403/21/2012

Is Steve Perry now a lesbian? Meatloaf actually looks better, but there was so much room from that. Iggy Pop shold rethink the shirtless look at his age. Who did Linda Ronstadt devour?

by Anonymousreply 6503/21/2012

you know how drugs can sometimes cause users to hallucinate that they have cockroaches crawling around under their skin? I think in Iggy Pop's case, it's not a hallucination.

by Anonymousreply 6603/22/2012

You should see how Mick Taylor look these days.

by Anonymousreply 6703/22/2012

Mick is too vain and Ron Wood is too delusional to go out without their hair pieces.

Keith with au natural hair:

by Anonymousreply 6803/23/2012

I don't think Mick wears hair pieces.

by Anonymousreply 6903/23/2012

Bowie looks great for a man in his mid 60's.

Patti Smith tho'.... feck me! She looks like a bloke in drag! And why is Keef Richards wearing Pinocchio's nose? Whoda thunked it....

by Anonymousreply 7003/23/2012

by Anonymousreply 7104/04/2012

Does anyone know if Howard Jones is gay? He was big in 80's New Wave.

by Anonymousreply 7204/28/2012

Steven Tyler from Aerosmith looks like a piece of crap right now.

by Anonymousreply 7306/12/2012

We aren't allowed to talk about ageing male rock stars as the Michfesters and Madonna queens might have their opinion that womadonna's are the only musicians judged by age and looks.

by Anonymousreply 7406/12/2012

Bruce and Bon Jovi look the best. Can't get over how hairy BJ was.

by Anonymousreply 7506/12/2012

Meat Loaf doesn't look that bad. I expected worse.

by Anonymousreply 7606/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 7706/12/2012

Most of the men look like lesbians. Billy Idol, Annie Lennox and one of the Hearts chicks look good. So do Pat Benetar and Bon Jovi. Bowie REALLY has hit the wall.

by Anonymousreply 7806/12/2012

Billy Idol is pretty amazing, given the drugs, drink, and motorcycle accident.

I would do Tom Petty.

by Anonymousreply 7906/12/2012

Keep in mind some of these people have been famous for almost 50 years. The Stones hit it big in 1964. Grace Slick in 1967. That's a big difference from someone like Annie Lenox, who became famous in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 8006/13/2012

[quote] Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has aged better than his bandmates

I would not be surprised if Charlie and Shirley have had plastic surgery. They are quite the social dandies in their county.

I know for a fact that Sherrell Aston revamped Rod Stewart's entire head about 10 years ago (though Stewart had a major nose job in the 1970s). You may not think Rod looks great, but he is nearly 70 and would look a hell of a lot worse if he hadn't had his face, forehead, chin and neck lifted. Think Keith Richards. Rod would be comparable without his surgeries.

by Anonymousreply 8106/13/2012

Speaking of Bowie, I don't think he's been seen in public for quite some time, any update on his supposed sickness?

by Anonymousreply 8206/13/2012

Grace Slick is now 72 (!) and I think she looks pretty damn good for a woman her age who did so many drugs and drank like a fish for decades. She's been clean and sober for a number of years now.

by Anonymousreply 8306/13/2012

Phil Collins?

by Anonymousreply 8406/13/2012

Eric Clapton looks good in that pic at r68. I always thought he was sexy.

Linda Ronstadt turned into one of her idols, Rosemary Clooney. Unlike Clooney, Linda got off the stage when it was time to get off the stage.

So, who was Marty Balin fucking if it wasn't Grace Slick?

by Anonymousreply 8506/13/2012

I would do David Coverdale - provided he stuck a paperbag over his head and spoke to me during the whole thing - sexiest speaking voice in rock.

by Anonymousreply 8606/13/2012

Wasn't Charlie much more domesticated than the rest of the Stones? I heard once he didn't really get involved in drugs and didn't use groupies like the rest of them did.

Keith Richards should have been dead years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8706/13/2012

[quote]Don't judge too harshly, you're going to be there too someday.

Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8806/13/2012

I think most of them actually look better now than they did then.

I LOVE Bowie, but he was never beautiful. When he was young he was skinny, girly, and weird-looking, but that was his thing. He became somewhat handsome in the 80s and maintained that for quite a while until his recent health problems.

by Anonymousreply 8906/13/2012

Here's a recent publicity shot of Rod Stewart.

R81 wasn't kidding!! LOTS of work.

by Anonymousreply 9006/13/2012

I was at a party that Trudy Styler and Sting were at last fall. They were actually really laid back and approachable. And Sting looked GREAT. Slender, face slightly wrinkled, wearing a James Perse outfit, hair disheveled yet chic.

He is one 60-year old that I would hop in the sack with in a nanosecond.

by Anonymousreply 9106/13/2012

I know that heavy alcohol use and abuse will dehydrate your skin and can ruin your complexion, but most of these look more like the result of normal aging. Many of them actually look pretty good for their age and at least recognizable.

by Anonymousreply 9206/13/2012

David Coverdale used to smoke and drink. He has given both of them up. He has had too much botox on him.

by Anonymousreply 9306/16/2012

R87 - Charlie had a reputation for staying faithful to his wife, not partying much back in the day and generally being a decent guy.

Oddly, in his 40s he developed substance abuse problems, but only for a couple of years.

Here's an article from 2000 about him. Seems like a completely charming, low key guy.

by Anonymousreply 9406/16/2012

Thanks for the link,[r94], seems like a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 9606/16/2012

Roger Daltrey

Paul Rodgers

Brian May

Ian Gillian

Greg Lake

by Anonymousreply 9706/16/2012

Chrissie Hynde has not aged well, but she was, or maybe still is, a huge drinker.

by Anonymousreply 9806/16/2012

[r98], that's a REALLY bad picture of Chrissie Hynde. She looks much better here. No one over 30 looks great in a close-up.

by Anonymousreply 9906/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 10006/16/2012

Steve Winwood gave up smoking marijuana thirty-two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 10106/16/2012

Who the hell does Mick Jagger think he's fooling with that wig he's been wearing for decades. His face looks like it's ready to slide off. Yuck.

You'd think he'd aged better after sucking the life out of all those virgins.

by Anonymousreply 10206/16/2012

Keith with au natural hair:r68

he looks like porter wagoner

by Anonymousreply 10306/16/2012

Gracie Slick looks like Boy George.

by Anonymousreply 10406/16/2012

Michael Stipe was quite beautiful with youth and long hair.

by Anonymousreply 10506/16/2012

Rob Halford from Judas Priest.

by Anonymousreply 10606/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 10706/18/2012

I actually thought most of these guys looked pretty good for being in their 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 10806/18/2012

Basically, they all need to cut their hair.

by Anonymousreply 10906/18/2012

"I would have liked to see Janis Joplin age."

Unfortunately Janis had an old looking face as a young woman, had she lived given all her excesses, she would have looked terrible.

I loved Janis and Jimi, it would have been interesting to see what kind of careers they would have had with all the horrible changes in pop and rock music. Somehow, I could see Janis working with Jack White, he's really into the blues and the 60s and 70s era of British blues rock.

So, Sting and Trudie Styler are approachable? What party was this? They must have been drunk to the gills, because Trudie is one total nasty delusional bitch.

Years ago, a female friend stayed at Sting's NYC apartment for a few days, at the time she was dating one of Sting's entourage. The apartment was huge, so there was room for two people to not disturb Her Royal Highness Trudie. The apartment Sting owed at the time was a duplex.

I guess Trudie was bored or she really does like women, Trudie kept making passes at my friend, my friend is not bi and aftere being harassed by Trudie for a few days, she told Trudie off. Trudie was pissed that my friend didn't want to have sex with her, she threw my friend and her boyfriend out.

Sting seemed to be pussy whipped by Trudie, my friend was astonished that Sting had no say when she threw her and the boyfriend out. What a bitch. This was not the first time I'd heard negative things about Trudie, Years later, she was sued by her pregnant cook who worked for them at one of their homes in England. I think it involved the cook traveling fore hours to make Trudie SOUP!

Another part of the lawsuit involved Trudie reprimanding her cook for getting pregnant, meanwhile Trudie has been pumping out kids for years, the better to keep that Sting money coming, if she ever divorces him, she will still be set for life.

Trudie Styler lured Sting away from his first wife, an Irish stage actress, who happened to be her best friend, Trudie's a vile woman.

by Anonymousreply 11006/18/2012

If Steven Tyler has had a lot of work done, he needs to ask for a refund. David Bowie only became bloated after the heart problem due to the medication he is on. Bad news: Your nose and ears get bigger and drop just like your face whilst your eyes and lips become thinner and smaller. Boobs droop, butt sags, gets flatter and crushes together when you sit down, you lose height, sometimes go grey, get sun spots, sagging tum and Vulva, bladder weakens and all sorts of things go wrong That's life so always look on the bright side of it.:)

by Anonymousreply 11102/03/2013

[quote]Who the hell does Mick Jagger think he's fooling with that wig he's been wearing for decades.

by Anonymousreply 11210/03/2014

From this...

by Anonymousreply 11303/13/2015

To this...

by Anonymousreply 11403/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!