Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Talk About . . . Agnes Moorehead

No, she wasn't a lesbian.

Yes, she was one of the best character actresses American ever produced.

My God, the woman did everything: Endora has contributed to her lasting fame, but she was also in "Citizen Kane," "The Magnificent Ambersons" and she enthralled the nation's radio listening audiences with her unforgettable protrait of the doomed woman in "Sorry, Wrong Number."

by Anonymousreply 212February 7, 2019 3:28 PM

She was quite beautiful too.

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2012 4:16 PM

How do you know she wasn't a lesbian, OP? That is an obnoxious way to begin a thread.

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2012 4:19 PM

Plus, it doesn't diminish her acting abilities to suggest she was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2012 4:19 PM

Go-head

Go-head

Go-head

Moore-head!

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2012 4:19 PM

She was indeed a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2012 4:23 PM

She called her mansion, in Beverly Hills, Villa Agnesse

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2012 4:27 PM

Sorry, total lez.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2012 4:31 PM

I remember reading an interview she did with Boze Hadleigh. He tried valiantly to get her to reveal herself as a lesbian, but she frittered around the topic and denied it. IIRC, she was also very negative and dismissive of gay rumors regarding her Hollywood colleagues. Sad for her and typical of the times she lived in.

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2012 4:44 PM

Uber-religious.

Deeply-closeted.

What's your damage, OP?

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2012 4:57 PM

And don't forget "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte."

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2012 5:22 PM

I just think it's demeaning that everyone refers to her as "Agnes the Dyke" when she was such an accomplished person. I don't think she was a lesbian, and of course I don't care, but she was so, so much more.

FWIW, she was married twice (her first marriage lasted 20 years) and Debbie Reynolds has specifically denied she was a lesbian.

I'll admit she was a little weird in the religious department, but what great artists aren't a little odd?

People may also be surprised to know that she was considered one of Hollywood's great hostesses, and her annual birthday/Christmas party was attended by everyone and generally considered the unofficial kickoff of the Hollywood holiday season.

She lived on North Roxbury in Beverly Hills, right across the street from Lucy and Desi and the Jimmy Stewarts and the Jack Bennys.

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2012 5:25 PM

Who is this EVERYONE you are referring to and are you trying to say it's 'demeaning' to be a lesbian?

are you the OP?

Debbie Reynolds says Debbie Reynolds is straight, so she is hardly the source I would consider 100% accurate.

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2012 5:56 PM

Let's talk about other aspects of "The Fabulous Redhead", which is what Agnes' one-woman show was called. Whether she was a closeted lesbian shouldn't matter. She was deeply religious, the daughter of a minister, and was raised in a very different era. But she was one of the most versatile character actresses that ever graced the screen, and was never out of work. To think she was doing whiney "po white" Velma Cruthers in "Hush" the same year she was being elegant as Endora is a testament to her talent! It's great to hear what Elizabeth Montgomery said about her. There was real affection there, and it shows on "Bewitched". The show wouldn't have worked as well without that chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2012 6:48 PM

She could do hysteria better than anyone else. Orson Welles once called her “the best actress in America” (or the world) but I can’t find the quote online. I read it in a book a long time ago.

Her marriages lasted so long because in both cases she and the husband spent most of their time apart. She and her first husband didn’t have a close relationship for long; for the most part she stationed him in Ohio to run the farm she owned there. She and her second husband separated soon after they married, but didn’t bother to divorce until years later, making it look like a 6-8 year marriage. I’d say both marriages were pretty “open” given the lack of time they spent together.

Debbie Reynolds is not objective at all when it comes to Agnes Moorehead. She basically worshiped her, so I take anything she says on the subject with a block of salt.

by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2012 8:08 PM

The gay guys here only want beautiful women to be lesbians and Agnes was a dog.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2012 8:27 PM

I disagree. She was very striking; hardly a dog.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2012 8:30 PM

I got the BF the first two seasons of BEWITCHED (Christ! there's like 38 episodes apiece!) and she really is a joy.

She is so committed to the role - most other actresses would become one-note in that kind of part after the first couple dozen episodes.

The episodes that feature mother-daughter stories are our favorites.

And her relationship with Derwood is really a lot more complex than I had remembered as a child.

And there's an extra who keeps appearing behind the counter at airports, on the floor in restaurants and other crowd scenes who is as cute as a but. Bet he was fucking Dick Sergeant.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2012 8:37 PM

The twins who played Tabitha have said she always tried to get them to pray with her on the set, which unnerved their parents.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2012 8:39 PM

It is amazing that the black and white episodes of Bewitched are a lot more complex then the later color ones. All of the relationships, from Sam and Endora, to Sam and Darrin, to Darrin and Endora are a lot less cartoony and real then the color ones. Even in the B & W ones Sam's best relationships are with Endora and Aunt Clara.

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2012 8:44 PM

Agnes always played everything the same way - sometimes she was a young shrew and sometimes she was an old shrew - that was her range.

Milton Berle once said about the honoree at a Friar's Roast: "He's been looking forward to this evening as much as he's been looking forward to a blow job from Agnes Moorehead."

Her face was not her fortune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2012 8:56 PM

[quote]It is amazing that the black and white episodes of Bewitched are a lot more complex then the later color ones.

That's true of almost every show that switched from B&W to color. It's like they decided that they no longer needed writers and good scripts because they had this wonderful new toy called color to play with instead.

You see it most clearly on the westerns. The B&W Gunsmokes are very tightly scripted, and then color comes along and its nothing but filler of people riding horses across the beautiful countryside.

To get back to Agnes, it should be noted that her death may well have been one of the ones caused by filming The Conqueror downwind from a nuclear test site.

The cast and crew totaled 220 people. By 1981, 91 of them had developed some form of cancer and 46 had died of the disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2012 9:01 PM

I don't agree that she was a dog, either. Oftentimes when she played very shrewish characters, e.g. Madge Rapf in Dark Passage or that busybody in Since You Went Away, she could appear ugly. But she was in a movie called Government Girl in 1943 and there's a scene that involves a reception line. Agnes is standing next to Olivia de Havilland and Aggie's glamour makes de Havilland fade into the background. She was often quite beautiful in still photos taken during her tour of Don Juan in Hell in the 1950s. She could be beautiful or ugly or anything in between, depending on what the role called for. The roles she played for Welles simply required her to appear plain. She really was extremely versatile, given how distinctive her face was to begin with.

I thought the gay guys here did NOT want beautiful women to be lesbians . . . .

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2012 9:01 PM

[quote] She was indeed a lesbian. by: Debbie Reynolds.

Actually, according to Debbie in an interview she did on TCM a few years ago, Aggie wasn't a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2012 9:03 PM

I think that even if she wasn't an active lesbian, she was a repressed one (due to the extreme religiosity). She pinged too hard onscreen to be totally straight.

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2012 9:12 PM

Agnes was known for giving younger actresses a thorough tongue lashing.

by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2012 9:13 PM

Debbie was the one who was always shouting to her "Agnes! More head, more head!" Of course she'd want to keep that quiet.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2012 9:14 PM

I would like to see an attractive photo of Agnes Moorehead, please.

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2012 9:22 PM

This is a rather nice photo from her early days in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2012 9:28 PM

She was very over the top in some of her roles, she cracks me up. I liked her in Dark Passage, she was a tough cookie.

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2012 9:29 PM

Here she is in "Mrs. Parkington," looking downright glamorous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2012 9:29 PM

How the hell should I know, Darling? I never sucked her cock.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2012 9:47 PM

Looking very glam here, almost like Liz Taylor's "handsomer" older sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2012 10:00 PM

And at her most beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2012 10:04 PM

R20, she very rarely played sympathetic characters, although I think she was supposed to be in Caged. There aren’t any others I can think of offhand. I wonder if she just didn’t have it in her personally to play someone sympathetic.

R27, pause the linked YouTube tribute at the following points:

:18 (That may have been from Government Girl)

1:25 (Don Juan in Hell)

2:53 (offstage)

3:00

3:07 (offstage)

2:32 is with her first husband, Jack Lee

1:08 may have been her much younger second husband, Robert Gist. I just found a website called Just Call Me Aggie that has a lot of info on both of her husbands. Gist fathered children out of wedlock left and right, two during his marriage to Moorehead. It also has the full picture from 1:25.

R29, 1:56-2:18 is Madge Rapf. Watch how her face changes from okay to very pretty to ugly. That hairstyle wasn’t doing her any favors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2012 10:30 PM

Her papers are at the University of Wisconsin - I've been wanting to go take a look (am in Chicago).

She was complicated. People have complicated lives.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2012 10:36 PM

Thanks for this thread, OP. I loved her even though I was a tiny gay watching Bewitched re-re-reruns.

Am excited to listen to Sorry, Wrong Number. Link for others who might like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2012 10:40 PM

She may or may not have been a lesbian but she was clearly a religious fundie who left a large portion of her estate to the racists at Bob Jones University.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2012 10:56 PM

How about The Twilight Zone, when she played the hysterical woman attacked by a tiny creature from "outerspace." No words, just facial expressions-a masterpiece!

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2012 11:03 PM

She was a very peculiar person. She became a fundie in her later years, though she was always religious. She carried a Bible at all times when she was on the set of Bewitched, and she read the children Bible stories from a children's storybook. But at that time of her life she had many gay friends, including Lynde. Montgomery said she knew that Moorehead was a lesbian.

Paul Lynde, who was close friends with her, also said that she was a lesbian.

Reynolds always had Sunday dinner with Moorehead, but she admitted that she didn't know her very well. I think she says that Moorehead wasn't gay because she knows about the rumor.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2012 11:14 PM

Anyone know which bio of Montgomery or Moorehead is the best?

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2012 11:35 PM

"Milton Berle once said about the honoree at a Friar's Roast: "He's been looking forward to this evening as much as he's been looking forward to a blow job from Agnes Moorehead."

I doubt anyone would look forward to blowing him.

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2012 11:49 PM

R40, the ONLY bio of Moorehead portrays her as a proper heterosexual woman.

>>>I would like to see an attractive photo of Agnes Moorehead, please

there.are.none

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2012 11:54 PM

[quote]I doubt anyone would look forward to blowing him.

Mrs Patrick Campbell just fainted.

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2012 11:55 PM

Unless you were gnawing at her clit, OP, there's no definitive way to say whether she was doing the lez-lez or not.

by Anonymousreply 44February 24, 2012 12:05 AM

That schnozz had to be photographed very carefully.

by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2012 12:31 AM

It was better from her left, R45, but she didn't have the clout or my vanity to insist on it.

by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2012 12:37 AM

How wonderful for her, that she found everlasting fame and, no doubt, glorious financial securit in Bewitched when so many other elder actresses were being ignored or forgotten. And she could even look fab and glamorous in the role, unlike so many of her earlier character parts.

Nobody seemed to dislike her. Well, except for maybe creepy old Milton Berle.

by Anonymousreply 47February 24, 2012 12:41 AM

Agnes Moorehead is being lauded on Datalounge because she played Endora - essentially a catty bitch in caftans and elaborate earrings.

by Anonymousreply 48February 24, 2012 12:53 AM

Paul Lynde called her "one of Hollywood's biggest ALL-TIME dykes".

by Anonymousreply 49February 24, 2012 1:03 AM

R42 is incorrect. The bio does not give a definitive account of Moorehead's life, which it freely admits, because Moorehead liked to fool people. She enjoyed creating a false persona around herself to keep people guessing. Many of Moorehead's gay friends said they didn't think she was gay, but Lynde outed her. No one really knew who she was because she preferred it that way. She didn't want even her friends to know who she really was.

We do know that she had a son, who was adopted. She tried to pass him off as a biological son at times, even though she'd adopted him when she was two. Her father had been a minister, and she was religious, though her fundie beliefs didn't start until she was near death. She had many gay friends in her life.

Paul Lynde insisted that he knew she was gay. Montgomery said that Moorehead was incredibly private, but that she knew Moorehead was gay. A lot of the actors on that show were gay. Montgomery, her husband, and the producer of Bewitched decided early on that "bewitched" was, in part, an allegory for gay people being forced to be in the closet (hence Sam having to hide her powers and true self). Montgomery said they discussed it at meetings and on the set, but never when a rep from the network was present. Montgomery was extremely gay friendly. Her father was actor Robert Montgomery and her mother was a theater actress...her father's best friend was Noel Coward. Coward was considered part of the family, and attended family functions. Liz adored him.

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2012 1:03 AM

What does it mean when in the past when someone's "papers" were donated to a library? Is it like the letters they wrote when they were alive or their phone bills? Today, does anyone even have papers? Or woud there just be a laptop? Doesn't seem to have the same cache or mystique frankly.

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2012 1:10 AM

If she was incredibly private about her life to even her closest friends, I would suspect she simply didn't have any sex life....but undoubtedly felt she would appear dreary and dull in Hollywood if there didn't appear to be something.

by Anonymousreply 52February 24, 2012 1:24 AM

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on Agnes' attractiveness.

by Anonymousreply 53February 24, 2012 1:28 AM

She was a brilliant actress. I've seen her films and listened to her radio shows, and my guilty pleasure is "The Conqueror" where she's the mother of Genghis Khan, played by John Wayne.

Wayne thought it would be unpatriotic to think you could get sick from atomic bomb testing residue in the Nevada desert, so they shot it there. Pity that so many of the crew and cast - including Moorehead - died of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 54February 24, 2012 1:30 AM

[quote]even though she'd adopted him when she was two.

Wow - she adopted a baby when she was only two? That's quite an accomplishment!

by Anonymousreply 55February 24, 2012 1:34 AM

What did Susie Lee have to say about Agnes? Surely someone must have asked.

by Anonymousreply 56February 24, 2012 1:41 AM

R8 , you do realize that those Boze Hadleigh interviews are all fictitious, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 57February 24, 2012 2:25 AM

As is "Susie Lee," R57.

by Anonymousreply 58February 24, 2012 2:29 AM

[quote] "Milton Berle once said about the honoree at a Friar's Roast: "He's been looking forward to this evening as much as he's been looking forward to a blow job from Agnes Moorehead."

[quote] I doubt anyone would look forward to blowing him.

Berle supposedly had one of the biggest cocks in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 59February 24, 2012 2:33 AM

Now hear this, Datalounge! Samples from Agnes' CD, THE LAVENDER LADY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 24, 2012 2:34 AM

She got her start in film late, and as a consequence, is not remembered for being a great beauty. However, when she was younger and making a name for herself in radio, she was quite attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 24, 2012 2:54 AM

Notorious pussyhound, big Bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 62February 24, 2012 2:59 AM

I do not think Susie Lee was a fake. Not for a moment. And hers were some of the best threads on DL. So sue me...

by Anonymousreply 63February 24, 2012 3:01 AM

Born in 1900, she was already in her 40s in the 1940s when she hit her stride as Hollywood's most glamorous character actress. Compared to the Fay Bainters, Jane Darwells and Marjorie Mains of her generation, she was certainly the sophisticated lady who could play high or low class.

by Anonymousreply 64February 24, 2012 3:02 AM

R57 is bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 65February 24, 2012 3:05 AM

Did she eat ass?

by Anonymousreply 66February 24, 2012 3:06 AM

Every time I see those Nice N' Easy commercials, I still find it hard to believe that the blonde is Angela from "The Office".

by Anonymousreply 67February 24, 2012 3:07 AM

In the Magnificent Ambersons she's not like anybody else I'd ever seen in the movies - just incredible - like watching a live wire.

by Anonymousreply 68February 24, 2012 3:09 AM

IT'S NOT HOT!!!

by Anonymousreply 69February 24, 2012 3:11 AM

She had a very strict upbringing, and her mother was by turns both domineering and distant. Her younger sister committed suicide. Her father was a fundie preacher. It's not a stretch to think that these kinds of things would affect her view of herself, and ultimately caused her to feel quite fractured about her sexuality.

In regards to her son Sean, they had a falling out as he got older and more rebellious. They eventually stopped talking, and he lived for a time with Paulette Goddard in Switzerland. After that, he was never heard from again and I doubt that he had contact with Agnes before she died.

by Anonymousreply 70February 24, 2012 3:12 AM

She looked a lot like my grandmother, who was a statuesque redhead. Big-boned. Not fat, very German-looking.

I was afraid of my grandmother, didn't like her. Crazy woman. I always cringed when Endora was on-screen.

by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2012 3:18 AM

[quote] Her father had been a minister, and she was religious, though her fundie beliefs didn't start until she was near death.

I guess that depends on how you're defining fundie. I remember reading things about Bewitched where she was reading the Bible on set, though it sounds like she was never overbearing about it…so that would have been fairly well before her death.

[R41] Though what [R59] said is correct (Berle was HUGE) look at the quote again. Berle is saying that about someone who's being honored…not himself.

[R51] Papers can be a number of things. You're right that in the digital age it will be different. Mostly it would be correspondence, personal and professional, books that they owned, scripts, contracts, etc.

by Anonymousreply 72February 24, 2012 3:27 AM

Suzie Lee's stuff checks out. She IS real. You can go online and find stuff about her family and her career in the 1960s. It all matches her claims.

by Anonymousreply 73February 24, 2012 3:31 AM

I loved reading Susie Lee's anecdotes, but I think she was/is naive about who is or isn't gay in H'wood. Not surprising since she's from another era and perhaps her parents didn't discuss this in front of her.

by Anonymousreply 74February 24, 2012 3:51 AM

They show Moorehead's thriller 'The Bat' frequently on Wolfman Mac and even he is surprised at how unexpectedly alluring Agnes appears in a nightgown.

by Anonymousreply 75February 24, 2012 4:00 AM

No less a critic than Kenneth Tynan said that her performance in "The Magnificent Ambersons" was the best ever recorded on film by an English speaking actress.

At the other end of the scale "Bewitched" would be totally forgotten today without her.

She was loyal to Oson Welles until the day she died, which is another interesting aspect of the "Bewitched" casting. Welles hated few actors more than Maurice Evans, who played her husband on the show.

by Anonymousreply 76February 24, 2012 2:34 PM

Yes R62, she supported most Bush...on her collarbone! HA!

by Anonymousreply 77February 24, 2012 3:33 PM

R50, the author of the book came HERE to defend himself when it came out -- the DL ripped him a new one for not outing her.

by Anonymousreply 78February 24, 2012 4:35 PM

Remember her from the Twilight Zone, she played an old woman in a deserted farmhouse attacked by space invaders. Just her and the 2 creepy little guys, and she never speaks a word. Just fear and panic. That's one of the TZ episodes that stuck with me.

by Anonymousreply 79February 24, 2012 4:36 PM

{quote] In the Magnificent Ambersons she's not like anybody else I'd ever seen in the movies - just incredible - like watching a live wire.

I agree. Watching her makes you want to jump out of your skin. Can you imagine how intense if must have been on a real movie screen?

They've just now, on Jan 31, 2012, gotten around to releasing The Magnificent Ambersons on Region 1 DVD. I can't believe there's not a Criterion edition of it. I hope there will be eventually. The VHS edition had bonus features containing some footage that didn't make the final cut, including Joseph Cotton visiting Fanny in the "nice boarding house" she moved into.

Orson Welles had a dream for decades of getting the original cast back together and making a sequel, especially since all the principal actors were alive through the 1960s. I think they were all willing to do it too, he just could never get the financing.

by Anonymousreply 80February 24, 2012 5:18 PM

Poor Agnes, she was killed by an atomic bomb you know ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 24, 2012 5:42 PM

Forget a sequel, I'd be satisfied with his original ending.

by Anonymousreply 82February 24, 2012 6:56 PM

At least part of the original ending involved the story advancing 20 years into the future, and IIRC in the Eugene and Fanny at the boarding house clip, Welles had artificially aged the actors. His dream was to re-film the original unused ending using the original actors who had aged naturally. At least that’s the way I remember having read it.

by Anonymousreply 83February 24, 2012 8:48 PM

[quote] She carried a Bible at all times when she was on the set of Bewitched, and she read the children Bible stories from a children's storybook.

It is nice that she was kind to the children on the set. Most folks aren't at all and a good example of that would be Julie Bowen of "Modern Family."

by Anonymousreply 84February 24, 2012 10:30 PM

[quote] Most folks aren't at all and a good example of that would be Julie Bowen of "Modern Family."

The kids on the set of "Modern Family carry bibles with them as well, mostly to ward of Julie Bowen.

by Anonymousreply 85February 24, 2012 10:38 PM

That would have been lovely, R83.

BTW, is the Amberson mansion still on a lot somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 86February 24, 2012 10:40 PM

[quote] BTW, is the Amberson mansion still on a lot somewhere?

No, it was on the RKO Encino Ranch backlot, and that lot is long gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 24, 2012 10:46 PM

She idolized Charles Laughton (who toured with her in the supersuccessful "Don Juan in Hell"), so she must have been a very complicated person.

by Anonymousreply 88February 25, 2012 6:03 PM

The glorious Agnes on "Password".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89February 25, 2012 6:06 PM

Thanks R89. LOVED IT.

Agnes : I think I ll go over to Spain and have a long session with Orson Welles

That doesnt sound very lesbian to me LOL

by Anonymousreply 90February 25, 2012 6:12 PM

Once she was lined up to be an award presenter at the Emmy's - but they didn't give her any dialogue to speak! Her co-presenter (I forget who it was) became embarassed by her enforced silence and, as he was reading off the list of nominees, he stopped and asked if she'd like to read one of them.

Without skipping a beat, she said: "No, I think it's your turn."

What a woman!

by Anonymousreply 91February 25, 2012 6:46 PM

The best Endora moments - starting with her reading her favorite magazine: Harpies Bazaar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 25, 2012 6:55 PM

Great clip R92

Agnes had to do quite of bit of `stuntwork`on Bewitched what with all the flying in harnesses or being perched on rooftops, ledges, etc etc.... She must have been quite athletic .

by Anonymousreply 93February 25, 2012 7:11 PM

Aggie is the mystery guest on the 70s color syndicated version of "What's My Line?"

She and Arlene Francis had been members of Orson Welles' Mercury Theater together back in the 30s...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94February 26, 2012 7:22 AM

I love her in "Pollyanna".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 26, 2012 8:26 AM

One of my local channels just showed Agnes and Vincent Price in The Bat. It was baaaaddddd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 26, 2012 8:33 AM

I didn't learn till many years after the "Bewitched"series ended why the show's writers named her mother-in-law character "Endora."

by Anonymousreply 97February 26, 2012 10:34 AM

She was the very definition of "jolie laide"

by Anonymousreply 98February 26, 2012 10:41 AM

She was indeed a shrew lots of times, it probably suited her looks.

She had a great run in the 50s through - did she ever get a week off? - turning up in lots of things - I like her as the ritzy countess in The Opposite Sex, that remake of The Women - and she is in European movies like The Tempest in '58, Night of the Quarter Moon in '59, as the blonde brothel madam in The Revolt of Mamie Stover, with Jane Russell - thats a kitsch classic, in '56; and also in films like The Swan, Raintree County, Showboat, and a good Elizabeth I in the hilariously awful The Story of Mankind in '57.

by Anonymousreply 99February 26, 2012 2:12 PM

Pity too she signed up for The Conqueror - as Wayne's mother, perhaps the atomic radiation that killed almost everyone on that film got her too.

by Anonymousreply 100February 26, 2012 2:13 PM

[quote] She was the very definition of "jolie laide"

Yes she was, R98.

So why was she named Endora, R97?

R96, I haven’t seen that movie in years, but did you notice the guy got his throat slashed but there was no blood anywhere when they picked him up to move him? And at the end when the police (or detective) picked up the phone to call the station, it was mysteriously working? A big plot point earlier was that the phone was dead. Yes it is bad, and I’m sure there are many more blunders like that but those are the two big ones I noticed.

Her dress from Don Juan in Hell was sold a few years ago on eBay. It was supposedly tiny. I don’t remember how much it went for. I think some of her other dresses went in the same auction. I wonder who got the money.

by Anonymousreply 101February 26, 2012 6:23 PM

For R101

Her name comes from the Bible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 26, 2012 6:47 PM

Agnes Moorhead had a girlfriend in the late 70s that was a children's writer who died in a plane crash.

And Marlene Dietrich was also involved with the woman-in-question.

by Anonymousreply 103February 26, 2012 7:04 PM

[quote] Agnes Moorhead had a girlfriend in the late 70s

Quite a feat since Agnes dies in 1974!

by Anonymousreply 104February 26, 2012 7:31 PM

Hmm, that's interesting R102. That would explain why Endora was darker in nature and certainly more conniving than most of the other witches on Bewitched. She did not suffer the mortal world gladly, and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 105February 26, 2012 8:17 PM

Endora could be so wonderfully wicked when she wanted to be. When Darrin had been turned into a chimp by Aunt Clara, Endora said to him "Don't pout, David. Mother Endora will comb you. You want to be a pretty chimp, don't you?"

by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2012 6:22 PM

Found a cool youtube clip of Agnes mooreheads House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 7, 2012 12:23 AM

Agnes on "Whats My line"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2012 12:26 AM

She had a really long tongue R104.

by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2012 12:40 AM

Agnes Moorehead was a lesbian. It was well known in the "circle".

by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2012 3:30 AM

She was a lez. Paul Lynde wrote how she was all X-rated on Liz Montgomery. She'd call her Lez Montgomery and then say, "Let do some scissorinig." Then Liz would correct her and she'd do an Endorra spell.

The Liz would be "You're not really a witch." And Aggie would say, "If you'd scissor with me, you'd see how witchy I can be."

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2012 11:22 AM

Two of my favorite performances of hers are ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS where she is Jane Wyman's friend. She takes the typical best friend role and gives it depth and humor.

The other is in JEANNE EAGELS. She is imperious as Eagels' acting coach and I love her voice in that one.

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2012 11:36 AM

hey chutney austin.

your schtick is tired.

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2012 12:07 PM

Did Agnes "know" Ginette Spanier? This woman banged ALL of them -- from Dietrich to Lena Horne:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2012 1:25 PM

more details please r114.

by Anonymousreply 115April 18, 2012 10:56 AM

You can forward your questions about Agnes' sexuality to Debbie Reynolds, who claims to be visited by Moorehead's ghost. Perhaps Agnes herself can clear up this confusion from the great beyond.

by Anonymousreply 116April 18, 2012 11:31 AM

both debbie and carrie are keeping debbie's secrets well, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 117April 18, 2012 1:26 PM

I just came across this site and MY GOD Agnes has been gone since 1974. The ones who believe that she was a lesbian or comment on her looks and talent...I say, "Leave her the fuck alone and let this woman rest in peace!! If she was a lesbian, "Who the fuck cares?!" Find someone else to bash. I have loved Agnes since the days of Bewitched and discovered her career before Endora. Agnes was beautiful and NOT a dog! And what's the matter with her praying or carrying a bible on the set. She had her own beauty and definitely had class. Today she would have been 112 yrs old (her own mother lived to be 106 yrs old) So please let this woman...a wonderful actress rest in peace. I will always love Aggie!

by Anonymousreply 118December 3, 2012 5:18 AM

R80 here to report that the release of The Magnificent Ambersons on DVD contained nothing but the film itself. I think the VHS had the "unreleased scenes" on it.

[quote] "Bewitched" would be totally forgotten today without her.

Most likely true, R76! Her and Paul Lynde, who only did something like 10 episodes but made such an impression that it seems like many more.

Oh and R118, grow a hide if you're going to post here. And spare me your righteous indignation when you don't when her real birthdate was. I'm a casual Aggie fan and I know it. It's not today.

by Anonymousreply 119December 3, 2012 11:03 PM

A very young Agnes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 4, 2012 9:53 PM

She was excellent as the warden in "Caged", with Eleanor Parker.

by Anonymousreply 121December 4, 2012 9:58 PM

She was absolutely incredible.

Wearing a handmade Flags of the Nations sweater, Agnes Moorehead reads 'The Green Years' in her bedroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 20, 2013 1:08 PM

[quote] Montgomery said she knew that Moorehead was a lesbian.

Well, I dispute that. Montgomery didn't deny Agnes was gay, but what she did say about it is she didn't know either way. Elizabeth said they were friendly but not true friends, Agnes always wanted some distance. Elizabeth also said that Agnes would've known that she would've been supportive if Agnes said she was a lesbian, but that Agnes never said she was.

by Anonymousreply 123February 20, 2013 1:44 PM

Lots of older people deny being gay because they "didn't do it" or did it only once or twice. Doesn't mean they weren't gay.

by Anonymousreply 124February 20, 2013 1:57 PM

What is important is that Agnes Moorehead had that incredible energy...when someone see her in a movie, they immediately get that, she was such a good actress and an interesting one, not a boring one.

Below there is Agnes Moorehead with Debbie Reynolds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 20, 2013 6:36 PM

Director Douglas Sirk imparts some of his vast culture to the main stars of 'All That Heaven Allows', Rock Hudson, Jane Wyman and Agnes Moorehead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 20, 2013 6:42 PM

"What is important is that Agnes Moorehead..."

What's important about any actor/actress dead or alive is that are gay or maybe gay or probably gay. This is the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 127February 20, 2013 6:55 PM

I believe that Morehaed was lesbian, but she didn't, couldn't acknowledge it. And that's okay, but for the fact that repression has it's repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 128February 20, 2013 7:28 PM

I think it was brilliant casting her, a woman known for her voice on radio, in a part where she never speaks. I'm speaking of course about the Twilight Zone's The Invaders

by Anonymousreply 129February 20, 2013 7:33 PM

I just reread the 1973 Boze Hadleigh interview and it’s very revealing in an indirect way, especially toward the end. For one thing, R8, she was not dismissive and/or negative toward other gays in the industry, nor her costars. He asks her if she knows Rock Hudson is gay and how she knows and she nods and says “An informant. Our profession is full of wanted and unwanted informants. He’s a good actor.” He asks her what she thinks of Hollywood lesbians and she replies “Most of them are nice people and not promiscuous – like the men.” Her objection is to sexual promiscuity, as she emphasizes later, not homosexuality in general.

After a few questions about lesbians and sex in general, he asks her if she’s loved many women and she says “Well, I have loved women. Of course.” It’s when he tries to get her to be specific that she gets dodgy. He asks her if she’s willing to talk off the record and offers to turn off the tape recorder. She tells him to leave it on and says “You apparently have your own informants. I don’t know what you’ve heard and I don’t want to hear, and some of it may even be true.” He then directly asks “Would the truth hurt you professionally, now?” and she replies “Now? Probably not. But I don’t want anyone misinterpreting what was beautiful and even spiritual.”

Very shortly after that, he notes that she’ll probably be a part of future biographies since she appeared in so many famous movies with big stars and big directors, and here is what she says: “If I make a statement to you now, it will be used and misinterpreted, and one way or another will represent me, if it’s controversial or shocking enough, in who knows how many future books (about other stars) … I won’t let that happen to my life. Certainly not to my own private life … in a book about someone else!”

Whether you believe the Boze Hadleigh interviews are legit or not, there you have it, folks. For what it’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 130February 20, 2013 8:06 PM

Love her. Goddess. Equal to Brits Maggie Smith imho.

by Anonymousreply 131February 20, 2013 8:14 PM

She was never in a film she didn't improve!

by Anonymousreply 132February 20, 2013 8:47 PM

To Endora Little Boy: "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?"

Endora: "Cum se cum sa."

by Anonymousreply 133February 20, 2013 8:55 PM

[quote] "Cum se cum sa."

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 134February 20, 2013 9:04 PM

She was excellent in 'The Magnificent Ambersons' as well. Excellent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 21, 2013 12:28 PM

R129 That TZ was on MeTV last night.

by Anonymousreply 136February 21, 2013 2:03 PM

She was beautiful in her younger days.

by Anonymousreply 137February 21, 2013 2:17 PM

Of course she wasn't a lesbian. She never once was in Portugal.

by Anonymousreply 138February 21, 2013 2:34 PM

R89 - that's such terrific footage demonstrating how polished she was. No stammering, no nervous tics, just very comfortable in front of the camera and being on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 139February 21, 2013 3:02 PM

Agnes Moorehead with a...catty friend of hers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140February 22, 2013 6:34 PM

She looks great on Password @ R89. Bare arms at 66 years old, and she pulled it off. I love how she rears back and gives the guy an "Endora" look the second time he paws her. It happens very quickly. She seems visibly relieved to get the woman over on her side and that guy away from her. He had a lot of nerve.

by Anonymousreply 141February 22, 2013 7:39 PM

Endora! A cult figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 13, 2013 11:01 PM

Lezziest lez who ever lezzed.

by Anonymousreply 143March 15, 2013 3:47 PM

by Anonymousreply 144March 19, 2013 9:14 AM

Agnes Moorehead would be disgusted by Datalounge misogyny, and she would zap you motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 145March 19, 2013 9:20 AM

New book about Agnes coming in July. It's scholarly and probably won't have much personal info. It's expensive -- $55.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 24, 2013 6:32 PM

So what about the lesbian rumors? Was she a lesbian indeed? She denied it...

by Anonymousreply 147April 25, 2013 10:45 AM

Agnes Moorehead with...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148January 2, 2014 3:20 PM

Per r146's post - in the index:

Moorehead, Agnes - lesbian reputation of, 33, 79, 196, 284-285.

Sounds like it's covered.

by Anonymousreply 149January 2, 2014 3:29 PM

What about her daughter, Montana?

by Anonymousreply 150January 2, 2014 3:38 PM

[quote] No, she wasn't a lesbian.

But she was, Blanche, she was!

by Anonymousreply 151January 2, 2014 3:41 PM

She was friends with Paul Lynde and he said she was a lesbian.

The reality is that Moorehead was incredibly complicated, and no one really knew her. But it seems likely that she was closeted and struggled with being a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 152January 2, 2014 3:56 PM

I loved it when Darrin's mother said to Endora: 'You're always...here.'

by Anonymousreply 153January 2, 2014 4:00 PM

LOVED her on Bewitched, but as Velma Cruthers in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte...the scene where she confronts Olivia DeHavilland...

"I'm going into town, and I'm gonna tell them what youuuuuuu've beeeeeeen up tooooooo..."

Then Olivia cracks her one & sends her reeling down the entire staircase, to her death.

It was a moment of incredible screaming camp.

by Anonymousreply 154January 2, 2014 4:18 PM

She is so charming on those Password clips. Amazing actress in everything she did.

I love when Amy Sedaris "does" her (when Agnes was playing more "common" women):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 2, 2014 5:09 PM

One of my favorite parts of Citizen Kane is Moorhead's scene, when she's Charles Foser Kane's mother and is packing his backs in Colorado to send him away forever with Walter Parks Thatcher. The way she conveys her deep grief at being parted from her only child, yet her assurance that this is the best thing for him, is incredible--and her final line, "That's why he's going to be brought up where you can't get at him," is so chilling. It's a little masterpiece of a scene--everything you'd ever want to know about her relation with her son (overindulgent, too close) and with her husband (distrustful, since he's been unable to provide properly for their family) is all there in just a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 156January 2, 2014 5:20 PM

Wow, R130. Thanks for that. That sounds like the most elegant, classy way to indeed confirm gay rumors while not admitting to anything. Incredible. If I was apathetic about her before, I really like her now, based on those responses alone.

by Anonymousreply 157January 3, 2014 11:13 PM

That sounds more like something a gay male would think up, R6.

by Anonymousreply 158January 3, 2014 11:42 PM

Lesbian or not, she was a classy & refined lady & a very versatile & accomplished actress. Not many around that can fit those two descriptions today.

by Anonymousreply 159January 4, 2014 6:51 PM

I need to know if you have ever seen Agnes star in any movies(i don't mean supporting role). I really liked her in 'Bat'. It's a pity that she didn't star in more movies. Did she? Please, tell me!

by Anonymousreply 160January 4, 2014 11:46 PM

The Bat is a classic. Although i had guessed almost from the start who was the 'Bat', that didn't make the movie less interesting. I found the relationship between Cornelia(Agnes Moorehead) and Lizzie (Lenite Lane) really unique and i liked the humor of this horror film as well. It's one of the movies that have an alternative to offer, it doesn't matter so much the identity of the killer. All is not misleading passion, glamour, femme fatales and hunks. Agnes Moorehead was really awesome and gripping in this and the movie was not boring in the least.

by Anonymousreply 161January 5, 2014 12:06 AM

Don't have the patience to read all 161 posts (you people are insane), but I've listened to 2 different versions of her turn in the radio play "Sorry Wrong Number", and both were superb.

by Anonymousreply 162January 5, 2014 12:53 AM

Agnes'gorgeous home was not across from the Arnaz home but across the street and up the block. It was originally Sigmund Romberg's villa. The next door neighbor was Ira Gershwin. In the early 1960s the singer Joni James her musical genius husband and manager Tony Acquaviva moved to Beverly Hills from New York City and, waiting for their home, sublet Villa Agneese for what they thought would be a short time but stretched many years (they finally did move into their own gorgeous home up at the block on Roxbury and Beverly Canyon Road). With Agnes' home came her devoted staff. The Acquavivas were very comfortable there and quickly became part of Hollywood's A set even though, as Joni later said, they didn't know there was an A set. They were traditional Italian people devoted to family, friends, church and music, and never were invested in a glamorous life, and that appealed to people in Beverly Hills. Joni's Italian dinner dances, for which she cooked days ahead, became prized invitations.

by Anonymousreply 163May 30, 2014 12:15 AM

She is magnificent!

by Anonymousreply 164October 3, 2014 8:49 PM

In Dark Passage, she plays a jealous meddler who frames Humphrey Bogart. Her final scene is pretty amazing. Her work in Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte is amazing, too, but her accent in that film is a bit off. Still, she was pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 165October 3, 2014 11:02 PM

Who the hell is or was Joni James?

by Anonymousreply 166October 3, 2014 11:48 PM

Joni James was a fairly minor singer who had a couple of big hits in the early 1950s (that very bleak period for American pop music).

by Anonymousreply 167October 4, 2014 12:25 AM

[quote]She called her mansion, in Beverly Hills, Villa Agnesse

To close friends it was known as "Aggie's Mansion o' Muff."

by Anonymousreply 168October 4, 2014 1:01 AM

Earlier today, TCM showed "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" in which Aggie plays a stoical but kind-hearted farm wife in a Norwegian American community in Wisconsin (her character is married to Edward G. Robinson's equally kind-hearted farmer, together they are parents to winsome little Margaret O'Brien).

The movie is a bit on the treacly side, but it has some truly touching moments and all the performances are absolutely wonderful. Agnes has the least showy role, but she makes the most of it and really anchors the movie.

by Anonymousreply 169October 4, 2014 1:36 AM

Miss. Moorehead came from a very religious background (Methodist?) so one finds it hard to believe she was a lesbian.

The lady wasn't too thrilled about playing the witch "Endora" either. She got talked into it after reading the original scrip and rejecting the thing only because AM assumed Bewitched would flop and that would be that.

If you knew her or were a fan it was taken for granted you did *not* bring up Bewitched to Agnes Moorehead. IIRC the lady wanted the world to know she was a serious actress and preferred not to be remembered as a witch from a television show.

Then again given how gay the cast of Bewitched was (Dick Sargent, Paul Lynde, Maurice Evans to name a few), who knows....

by Anonymousreply 170October 4, 2014 2:54 AM

She quoted the bible on stage. She was very popular among the stars, always invited, had a very well attended Christmas party every year as a payback.

by Anonymousreply 171October 4, 2014 3:02 AM

[quote]Miss. Moorehead came from a very religious background (Methodist?) so one finds it hard to believe she was a lesbian.

Are you joking?

by Anonymousreply 172October 4, 2014 3:36 AM

What one was trying to say is given the rather strong religious convictions one has heard about AM find it hard to credit. Yes, there are tons of religious hypocrites out there but something about AM simply strikes me as she wasn't not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 173October 4, 2014 3:50 AM

Oh please. It was well-known in Hollywood that AM, Stanwyck and so many others were lesbians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174October 4, 2014 4:05 AM

R171/R173: Gays and lesbians are born, not made. Her religious convictions might have caused her to hide her lesbianism, but you seem to think her religious convictions would have prevented her from choosing to be a lesbian (or "choosing the lesbian lifestyle," as the idiot right-wingers would put it). That's not how it works.

by Anonymousreply 175October 4, 2014 5:32 AM

The question still remains. Did Agnes ever had sex with a woman?

by Anonymousreply 176October 4, 2014 10:40 AM

*have

by Anonymousreply 177October 4, 2014 10:41 AM

Is there a link to hear Agnes' Wrong Number radio play?

by Anonymousreply 178October 4, 2014 10:43 AM

@R17

Unless that "extra" you kept seeing was African-American or of a darker race anyway he wasn't likely doing much of anything to or with DS.

Dick Sargent by all accounts preferred darker men. His first lover (the one who was still alive during Bewitched) and his final Albert who was with him when he died were both AA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179October 4, 2014 10:49 AM

She never sucked my cock.

by Anonymousreply 180October 4, 2014 10:51 AM

@R178

Of course there are *links* to AG doing "Sorry Wrong Number" on radio. Ain't you never heard of Youtube? *LOL*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181October 4, 2014 10:56 AM

"The Gayest Show On Earth"

Add to the previous list one of the twins who played Tabitha is a lesbian and apparently the actor who did Abner Kravitz is rumored has well.

If you add AG that list becomes very crowded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 4, 2014 11:10 AM

She should have played in more mystery movies. She was excellent in 'The Bat'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 4, 2014 11:36 AM

In her younger pics, her eyes look bizarre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 4, 2014 11:56 AM

Einstein at r184

by Anonymousreply 185October 4, 2014 12:01 PM

R184 That photo show a very pretty young woman. I am a gay but, but I can still call out a lovely woman when I see one.

Agnes Moorehead was a "Golden Gem" of an actress from Hollywood's "Golden Age."

R.I.P. Miss Moorehead. Actresses of your calibre don't exist any longer.

by Anonymousreply 186October 4, 2014 12:20 PM

Her last role was in the stage version of the musical GIGI, co-starring Alfred Drake and Maria Karnilova.

I saw it pre-Broadway in 1973, and she was wonderful. (When the show opened on Broadway. Clive Barnes writing for the Times called Moorehead 'perfect'). Although suffering with cancer, she stayed with the show until January 23, 1974, when she was replaced with Arlene Francis. The show closed on February 10, 1974, and Miss Moorehead died on April 30, 1974

by Anonymousreply 187October 4, 2014 12:52 PM

GIGI, with Alfred Drake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 4, 2014 1:04 PM

That lesbian rumor about Agnes and Debbie Reynolds was fueled by Eddie Fisher in his memoir, in which he implied that Debbie had lesbian tendencies and used her friendship with Moorehead as an example.

by Anonymousreply 189October 4, 2014 5:04 PM

R183, is she reaching for a dildo?

by Anonymousreply 190October 5, 2014 3:54 AM

Do you think she's dialing with a pencil?

by Anonymousreply 191October 5, 2014 3:56 AM

She did have great bones, and no pressing need of any others orbiting her face.

by Anonymousreply 192October 5, 2014 7:19 PM

People tend to forget that Moorehead won an Emmy for a guest shot on the Wild, Wild West. The episode, the Night of the Vicious Valentine, satirized the computer dating phenomenon of the 1960s. Moorehead played a matchmaker, actually more of pimp, who used her girls to marry -- then murder -- very rich men to gain the men's fortunes. Her performance was a toned down version of what she played on Bewitched, stylish but with only a modicum of camp

by Anonymousreply 193October 6, 2014 3:56 AM

In 1965, Moorehead was considered the favorite to win the Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for HUSH, HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE. But Hollywood was having one of its periodic bouts of Euro-philia and gave the Oscar to Lila Kedrova (who?) for ZORBA THE GREEK

by Anonymousreply 194October 9, 2014 3:13 AM

I saw that Wild Wild West episode fairly recently. Agnes's character was not happy when spurned by Jim West. Going a different route than normal, Conrad spent a good part of the episode tied up and throughout the episode had a number of camera shots lingering on his face or ass. Has there ever been another show that objectified the lead actor as much?

by Anonymousreply 195October 9, 2014 3:27 AM

Strange that he lost contact with the son she adopted

by Anonymousreply 196October 9, 2014 3:51 AM

Agnes Moorehead was a very attractive young woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 9, 2014 4:05 AM

She admits to 1000

by Anonymousreply 198October 10, 2014 3:06 AM

An award for this? For fuck's sake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 10, 2014 3:15 AM

Agnes with Debbie. Were they very good friends? Nice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200October 10, 2014 9:35 AM

It makes me sick to read so many slanderous comments about such an accomplished talented person such as Miss Moorehead. Her talent, intelligence, grace, accomplishments, and better looks than many of you can boast to certainly out weighs any uncertified malicious claims you apparently get your kicks from. Someone's political, religious, or sexual orientations, though if do not believe her to be gay, should not make a difference, she is a person who deserves the to be credited for her talent and accomplishments. Bravo, bravo, bravo to the late great Agnes Moorehead.

by Anonymousreply 201June 8, 2015 6:21 AM

Anybody remember Agnes in Vertigo? She's in that weird flashback scene with Carlotta. The focus is on her face and it's deliciously creepy!

by Anonymousreply 202June 8, 2015 6:30 AM

Crypers are you all 80 years old or just write like you are?

by Anonymousreply 203June 8, 2015 7:38 AM

She was a wonderful actress, true.

But her speech at r89's clip. Dear god, that high brow speech affectation (she was raised in fly over country ) that many actors embraced during her time is always a reliable indicator that a barrel full of internal demons were at play.

by Anonymousreply 204December 4, 2015 1:58 PM

The Opposite Sex with Dolores Gray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 4, 2015 3:17 PM

Does anyone wish she had appeared in silent movies?

by Anonymousreply 206February 7, 2019 8:12 AM

[quote]She was a brilliant actress. I've seen her films and listened to her radio shows, and my guilty pleasure is "The Conqueror" where she's the mother of Genghis Khan, played by John Wayne.

Oh, me too, r54. She was a great actress and I hope she got a lot of money for that outrageously campy - and truly bad - movie that may have contributed to her fatal cancer.

Here's a short clip of Moorehead as Genghis's mom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207February 7, 2019 8:42 AM

Her hysteria scene in Ambersons is brilliant.

In What's the Matter With Helen she plays an Aimee Semple McPherson type

Years ago I used to confuse her with Judith Anderson...

by Anonymousreply 208February 7, 2019 12:53 PM

[quote[]My God, the woman did everything:

My GOD!

by Anonymousreply 209February 7, 2019 3:02 PM

One of my favorite things about Endora was hr complex relationship with the otyher characters.

For example, she flirted with Darren's father Frank, but as a result didn't like his mother Phyllis. (Phyllis thought Endora was strange and wore too much makeup). But I can't remember that she ever played spells on either of them.

She did not care at all for Larry Tate, and was always extremely chilly to him. He never noticed and instead thought she adored him.

She was kind towards Aunt Clara but was mostly exasperated by her.

She was extremely respectful to Aunts Enchantra and Hagatha.

by Anonymousreply 210February 7, 2019 3:16 PM

Her Twilight Zone episode was basically a silent movie, r206.

by Anonymousreply 211February 7, 2019 3:24 PM

Been there done that, r208.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212February 7, 2019 3:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!