Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joni Mitchell's vagina here!

I've looked at love from both sides now…from up and down…and sideways…and in threesomes.

You might think, "Well, if her vagina could talk…" Well, mine CAN! And for a lot of the 60s and 70s, it said, "Sorry, occupied."

I mean, look at the list: James Taylor. Leonard Cohen. Jaco Pastorius. Tom Scott. And one ENTIRE BAND (though not at the same time): Crosby, Stills, Nash AND Young!

I may have fit Tony Orlando AND Dawn in there at some point but I can't remember.

In fact, years of smoking 4 packs of unfiltered cigarettes have made me forget all of the visitors to my vagina. Were you there?

No regrets, coyote….

by Anonymousreply 364March 10, 2022 10:16 PM

OP, are you sure about the entire group of CSN&Y?

by Anonymousreply 1January 26, 2012 11:11 PM

If only I could talk.

by Anonymousreply 2January 26, 2012 11:12 PM

Help me.

by Anonymousreply 3January 26, 2012 11:13 PM

r2 Are you saying Joni is Asian?

by Anonymousreply 4January 26, 2012 11:15 PM

Bonjour Joni, did I leave my typewriter in there?

by Anonymousreply 5January 26, 2012 11:18 PM

You left out Warren Beatty, Jackson Browne and Sam Shepherd! Joni was a legend at scoring hot cock.

by Anonymousreply 6January 26, 2012 11:20 PM

The Wind is in From Africa.

by Anonymousreply 7January 26, 2012 11:33 PM

It was a rainy night....

by Anonymousreply 8January 26, 2012 11:33 PM

For R4:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 26, 2012 11:43 PM

...her songs “Car on a Hill” and “Help Me” are rumored to be about her affair with the Eagles’ Glenn Frey.

“A Free Man in Paris” is about David Geffen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 26, 2012 11:48 PM

All that cock and she's ended up a bitter, lonely old bag.

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2012 11:49 PM

Commenting that Rolling Stone named her “Old Lady of the Year” in the ‘70s for her alleged number of lovers, she added,

“Grace [Slick] and Janis Joplin were [sleeping] with their whole bands and falling down drunk and nobody came after them.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2012 11:52 PM

She fucked David Geffen?

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2012 11:54 PM

r9 Thanks, I'm familiar with the song. "Yellow Taxi" or "Yellow Cab" is Asian girl slang for their sluttier Asian sisters, especially if they go for good looking white men.

by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2012 11:55 PM

No regrets coyote, we just come from just different sets of circumstances

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2012 11:59 PM

Thank you darlings for reminding me of the others! My labia thanks you. Yes, my vageene has seen some fine specimens of cock.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2012 12:00 AM

R11 is projecting.

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2012 12:07 AM

She was hanging on a lot of boom boom pachyderm.

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2012 12:15 AM

Well, you would fuck everyone in sight, too, if you had to spend your early years in Saskatchewan. Plus sexism - no one talks about male rock stars having so much sex.

Anyways, James Taylor, Stephen Stills, and Sam Shephard were cute when they were young.

And why not have sex when you are young (and a famous pop star)? We're captive on the carousel of time. We can't return we can only look, and talk, bitchily, on DL.

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2012 12:25 AM

Any idea who she wrote "A Case of You" for ?

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2012 12:29 AM

She was never a beauty IMO. I'm surprised she snagged so much cock.

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2012 12:31 AM

Answers: Case of You is about James Taylor, as is most of the Blue album. (One of the reason most of Blue is on dulcimer is because she was traveling a lot while she was writing it, and she carried her dulcimer with her because it was easy to transport than a guitar or piano. No, she didn't sleep with Geffen. They went on a vacation in Paris together, and he commented how free he was of his day to day worries. OP -- you cracked me up with the line "sorry, occupied." Bloody brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2012 12:38 AM

TY R19, I forgot Joni (Not Buffy St. Marie) wrote The Circle Game.

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2012 12:43 AM

R4, R14. I learned something new today. Never heard of such slang before. Confirmed below at Urban Dictionary ( a useful reference tool!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2012 12:45 AM

Stephen Stills was moved to write "Sweet Judy Blue Eyes" about me. What did he write about you, Joni?

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2012 1:01 AM

Well, didn't Graham Nash write "Our House" about Joni & him?

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2012 1:06 AM

Who was Joni writing about in Rainy Night House?

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2012 1:09 AM

Joni wrote "Our House" about me!

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2012 1:09 AM

I Own This Post.

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2012 1:13 AM

[R22] and [R27]:

"A Case of You" is about Leonard Cohen, as is "Rainy Night House."

I'm pulling this from "Will You Take Me As I Am" which was a book specifically about the songs from the early Joni years.

Cohen is the "holy man on the FM radio".

[R22] Most of the rest of Joni's NEXT album, For the Roses, is about James, including "See You Sometime," "For The Roses," and "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire," which is about James on heroin.

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2012 1:18 AM

R30 Thank you for GREAT Information. Any more known about history of Joni's songs?

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2012 1:21 AM

Blonde in the Bleachers is one of my favorite JM songs of all time!

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2012 1:23 AM

[R31] There's a whole damn book (as mentioned). Some other things in it:

"You Turn Me On I'm A Radio" was a smartass response to Geffen asking her to write a radio friendly song.

"Carey" was about a guy named Cary Raditz who was in her vag after she broke up w/Graham Nash (a hot fuck, if you ask me).

"Coyote" is about her fucking Sam Shepard.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2012 1:33 AM

Oh you're a mean old Daddy, but I like you fine!

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2012 1:34 AM

Just call me….

Dreamland!

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2012 1:38 AM

[R32] Mine too! Especially when she says "she tapes her regrets to the microphone stand…"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2012 1:55 AM

How often do you dust in there?

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2012 1:56 AM

Oh dear…I suspect she's after the film rights!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2012 2:46 AM

The blonde in the bleachers She flips her hair for you Above the loudspeakers You start to fall She follows you home But you miss living alone You can still hear sweet mysteries Calling you The bands and the roadies Lovin' 'em and leavin' 'em It's pleasure to try 'em It's trouble to keep 'em 'Cause it seems like you've got to give up Such a piece of your soul When you give up the chase Feeling it hot and cold You're in Rock'n'Roll It's the nature of the race It's the unknown child So sweet and wild It's youth It's too good to waste She tapes her regrets To the microphone stand She says "You can't hold the hand Of a Rock'n'Roll man Very long Or count on your plans With a Rock'n'Roll man Very long Compete with the fans For your Rock'n'Roll man For very long The girls and the bands And the Rock'n'Roll man"

by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2012 3:11 AM

The fact that she slept with this many men and she wrote about it makes me love her more. Did she have a fling with Jackson Browne? I thought Cayote was about Jaco, I know he played on it.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2012 3:29 AM

She slept with all of CSNY, except for CS &Y. R20, you seem to be the only real Joni fan here.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2012 3:34 AM

This makes me want to go back to all those songs. She was with Jackson Browne for a while circa 1972 - they toured together and he was the opening act, I saw them in London then - and met them in the street a week later (as I have reported here before) - it was in Kings Road, Chelsea and I spotted them walking together,then he ran on ahead leaving her alone so I came up and spoke to her and she was very friendly and chatted to me as we walked along - we were about the same age. They were trying to find an art gallery before it closed and I knew where it was and walked her along to it. I remember her mentioning her polio when she was young and that she could not run in the sandals she was wearing ... I think she fell out with Jackson shortly after that, if he did not hit her he certainly hit someone else - was it Daryl Hannah?

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2012 5:31 AM

I am sure jack nicholson got in there too !

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2012 5:34 AM

She was also dating that black musician Don Alias for a while, from that great band with Jaco and Pat Metheny -- at least she introduced me to their work. and of course she also knew Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock etc though not sure if that was in the biblical sense !

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2012 5:37 AM

The 70s must have been a more innocent time when one could approach rock stars in the street r42 - imagine trying to do that now with all their minders and self-important entourages ! You wouldn't get near Madonna !

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2012 5:39 AM

[R40] From what this book is saying, "Coyote" is about Sam Shepard. A lot of the other songs on "Hejira" were about John Guerin, who I guess was the potential husband material out of all these guys.

She met Jaco when he played on Hejira. It's not in the book but apparently many Jaco fans hate Joni…he left his wife for her (and didn't go back after they broke up) and sunk far deeper into drug use after their split.

Her time with Jackson Browne was shorter and ended badly and she wrote the song "Not to Blame" in the 90s about Jackson putting the beatdowns on Daryl Hannah.

She's been a connoisseur of some fine, fine cock. I wonder who was the biggest? LOL

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2012 12:46 PM

A snapshot of the men circa when they were with Joni:

Graham Nash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 27, 2012 12:54 PM

James Taylor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 27, 2012 12:55 PM

Leonard Cohen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 27, 2012 12:57 PM

Jaco Pastorius

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 27, 2012 12:57 PM

Stephen Stills…yum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 27, 2012 1:24 PM

[quote]All that cock and she's ended up a bitter, lonely old bag.

Who says? If she's alone it's by choice, I'm sure. She could have a man if she wanted one. But a lot of older, financially independent women don't see a need for a man after they hit menopause. What's the point if you're no longer interested in sex?

At least she got all that hot cock back in the day, which is more than you can say R11. You'll end up old, bitter and lonely (sounds like you already are) with none of her amazing life experiences.

by Anonymousreply 52January 27, 2012 1:44 PM

OK, the one I really wasn't sure about with CSNY was Crosby (with Joni) and according to this article, they were together for a time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 27, 2012 2:12 PM

[quote]The 70s must have been a more innocent time when one could approach rock stars in the street - imagine trying to do that now with all their minders and self-important entourages ! You wouldn't get near Madonna !

There's also the element of danger. John Lennon's death pretty much put an end to superstars out walking around unprotected.

by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2012 2:31 PM

[R54] Yeah, it really did. I still remember how shocked everyone was about that when it happened.

by Anonymousreply 55January 27, 2012 4:14 PM

She could have had Robert Plant and Jimmy Page as well - they were both completely smitten with Joni's image & music but too shy to ask for an introduction when they were at a party with her! I believe she inspired Zep's "California"?

"Coyote" is about Joni's romance with Sam Shepherd on the Rolling Thunder tour in 1975. The line "he's got another woman down the hall but seems to want me anyway" refers to Chris O'Dell, the former groupie who became a tour manager.

by Anonymousreply 56January 27, 2012 5:05 PM

"Why'd you have to get so drunk…and lead me on that way?"

Oh, TESTIFY, Joni. Have been there many, many times myself.

by Anonymousreply 57January 27, 2012 5:45 PM

Back in the 70s though r54 people like Joni, Jackson etc though wildly popular and sell-outs on tour could still walk around mainly unnoticed as they were not known to joe public generally - the singer-songwriter stars had a relative anonymity as were not pop stars as such.

It was David Crosby who initially produced her first album and was showing her off in LA after her coffee-houses exposure, I think it was only Neil Young of the CSS&Y foursome she was not involved with.

IS she on her own now? Has she done anything recently or is she more or less retired and just focusing on her artwork, and there was that recent ballet thing based on her songs. Her last album Shine was reasonably ok, but I didnt feel the need to play it too many times. Joan Baez still tours, but presumably Joni doesn't need to - her contempt for the music business is well documented, and maybe though never super wealthy has earned enough for a comfortable retirement - she will be 70 in 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 58January 27, 2012 5:51 PM

I love that "Shadows and Light" concert video, circa 1980 with Jaco, Pat Metheny & Don Alias in the band, and she looked terrific then - using that James Dean imagery and clips of coyotes etc.

It was odd when she was married having all those ex-lovers guesting on the albums. She and James Taylor sing nice backing vocals on Carole King's Tapestry album too ...

by Anonymousreply 59January 27, 2012 5:54 PM

She and Warren Beatty must have had a good time checking each other out when they hooked up back in that 70s LA music heyday ... with both of their reputations as being great in the sack, ditto with Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2012 5:55 PM

Did she and the daughter eventually patch up their differences?, the daughter had a girl too, so Joni is now a grand-mother.

It did take a certain steely resolve to give up one's child in order to tour and build a career, but of course she would never have had all that if she had stayed home with the kid ...

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2012 6:03 PM

Between Joni, Carly and Linda? Lotsa cock in the 70's! And god bless them for it. So after Joni, James went straight to Carly? And he was a heroin junky through all of that?

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2012 6:03 PM

Yup Linda got lots too - all The Eagles for a start, and old multi-married lady Carole King -ditto!

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2012 6:10 PM

I saw the Troubadours special on PBS and apparently James didn't get completely clean until sometime in the 80s.

I like his songs well enough (a few are epic) but I have to say: Wow, he was smoking hot when he was younger. And if anyone has size meat I am guessing it would have been James. Tall, lanky, angular face, big nose…oh hell yes.

Joni's retired from music now and yes, I think she and Kilauren are all good now.

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2012 6:11 PM

That was an amazing story how the daughter found her, with the help of that gay-sounding friend who remembered Joni at the rooming house he was staying at, when she was pregnant there ... it all in that book Girls Like Us on Joni, Carly and Carole.

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2012 6:17 PM

I liked James' early albums like Sweet Baby James and Midslide Slim - essential early 70s, the voice was marvellous and that lean sound. Ditto with Elton & Rod Stewart - we liked the early 70s stuff, none later ...

The later bald look suits him too - all us longhairs cut it off when it was impossible to hide bald and greyness !

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2012 6:20 PM

r63: for some reason I don't see Carole King as very sexual, I could be totally wrong. Did Carole get with James when she was in his band?

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2012 6:23 PM

[R65] Which reminds me….listen to this starting at about 1:15.

Her daughter sounds JUST LIKE HER when she speaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2012 6:24 PM

Probably not, but you know those LA musicians - anything goes ! But she was married at least 4 times, so must have been rather raunchy ... perhaps she was the pal James could come to to talk over his problems with Joni and Carly and who knows how many others.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2012 6:27 PM

[R67] According to the Troubadours show, Carole and James never got together. It was apparently the only vag James didn't open up at that time.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2012 6:34 PM

Speaking of Carole King, how weird is it to see her stealth non-flashy, guest-star appearance in the last season of Mary Tyler Moore where she was credited under her married name?

by Anonymousreply 71January 27, 2012 6:54 PM

Oh this thread is making me nostalgic.

Joni does not seem to be a very nice woman in her old(er) age, and her insistance on smoking is, well, stupid. But she sure is one great artist. R39, where do you find lyrics like that that so capture a time. Not to mention all her other stuff. Amelia gets me every time.

I think Joni and Judy Collins were the best of that bunch, real artists. Judy Collins has written a lot of good music- Since You Asked and Song for S... (cannot spell it), love Colorado too.

Clouds sung by both and written by Joni, sung really hauntingly by her in a recent recording is sublime. Nothing has captured the way I feel about love and life better than that song.

I am 58 years old. In the late 70s I worked for a production company in Florida (stage setup, nothing important). But I got up close to all of 'em, from the Eagles to Fleetwood Mac to Earth Wind and Fire to Springstein coming on to me in the mess tent in an Orlando Fronton (he was not yet doing huge arenas like the others.) Scrawny little guy back then but he sure put on a show, jumping on speakers and that E Street band in Spring 1978 was something else.

Joni was aloof, always smoking, smoking while performing. Pretentious as anyone can get, and the best, the absolute best. Her sets were air tight and her music and lyrics so good its a shame we have to put up with Beyonce etc. Her music will live for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 72January 27, 2012 6:55 PM

Makes me nostalgic too, R72. I'm 51 and I remember loving Joni's Blue Album. Played it a zillion times on my little portal turntable.

She is a great song writer/artist and was very pretty in her youth. Looks like she has a healthy dose of self-esteem too. Combine all that and it's no wonder she got all that hot cock back in the day!

She does seem like a very warm person though. The whole leaving her kid for fame and fortune is kinda sad. And I wouldn't feel any different if it was a man that did it. Did she put the kid up for adoption or did her Mom raise her?

I know it's because I was a teenage back in the 70s, but that whole late 60s/mid 70s time period (before disco took over) was very magical for Rock 'n Roll. The Rolling Stones, Led Zep, the California Sound (Beach Boys, etc.) Joni, Grace Slick, Judy Collins, Bob Dylan (love Tangle up in Blue).

I'll get a resounding Mary for this comment: But I feel a real yearning for my youth when I'm transported back to that time period through songs or pictures.

(I was the original poster of the Rock 'n Roll Royalty thread and love the old pics that were posted)

by Anonymousreply 73January 27, 2012 7:24 PM

Well, I am the OP - the premise may have been humorous but in all seriousness, I love this bitch.

[R73] Joni wasn't famous or really even close to being famous when she gave Kelly/Kilauren up for adoption. She and her BF/the father were young and they did try to raise her for a while, but apparently felt they were not able to do it right. Joni gave the baby up for adoption (to a great family, from all accounts).

I think she is both warm and aloof….passionate and pretentious…all those things. I think too often she's called "the best female" something when she's just "best." And there is sexism in rock and roll. Plenty of men are pretentious and aloof in the same way. (Stephen Merritt of Magnetic Fields comes to mind!) But men are geniuses, women are difficult unfriendly bitches.

For me, Joni is more of a gay icon than some of the traditional ones. That mixture of great romantic love and passion and baring of the soul, with a vivid intelligence and an aloofness to protect yourself…well, damn. That's my story. That's the story of a lot of my gay brothers. We love deeply but hide behind the mask. Sometimes to protect ourselves physically, sometimes to protect ourselves from being hurt emotionally.

"Hejira" was the soundtrack of all of that, and it used to haunt me. For a long time I *was* living these lines:

Maybe I've never really loved / I guess that is the truth I've spent my whole life in clouds at icy altitude

If that doesn't get a MARY, I don't know what would!

by Anonymousreply 74January 27, 2012 11:51 PM

Joni gets lumped in with other women singer/songwriters but not only is she better than them, she's better than all the men too. Better singer than Dylan and Cohen, better writer than Taylor, Lightfoot, Browne, CSNY etc.

by Anonymousreply 75January 28, 2012 1:28 AM

Arguably one of the best of her later works.

"One day I'm going to die here too, and they'll plant me in the dirt…."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 28, 2012 2:36 AM

Great comments r72, r73, r74 - those albums were the soundtrack to my 20s too - we used to play out Blue, For the Roses, Court & Spark, etc. I liked the 80s ones too - Wild Things Run Fast is terrific too when she was newly married, and those songs 'Be Cool' and 'Man to Man' summed up my gay life then - they could have been written from a gay perspective! Then there was 'A Strage Boy', 'Down to You' and so many others.

that whole singer-songwriter era is so nostalgic for me too. I saw Joni live 4 times in concerts in London - the hippie princess with her dulcimer in 1970, touring with Jackson in 72, then the jazzy new Joni with the Tom Guerin band in 74 ... the changes she went through, and the respect she got from black musicians like Herbie Hancock as her music grew and developed. I got albums by Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny as she had introduced me to their music, by playing with her. 'Goodbye pork pie hat' is another I used to play all the time. The 2000 album of standards (including her own) was amazing too. So yes it was a terrific experience to be able to walk along Kings Road with her in 72 (as I mentioned earlier) and have a pleasant chat with her, thankfully I didn't overdo the fan gush, but talked to her like an equal - the friend I was on my way to meet [he died of Aids in '92] whom I used to room with and he liked Joni too, couldn't believe I had just met her and we had chatted ok.

by Anonymousreply 77January 28, 2012 3:13 AM

Just went to look at her website.

Her father just died last week - age 100. Damn, a hundred! That's awesome.

Link is to a link on her website to Jane Fonda's blog, with a recent photo of Joni, who looks quite a bot older than I've ever seen her, but still stunning, IMHO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 28, 2012 3:20 AM

R75

I have to disagree. I think Jackson Browne's Late for the Sky albumn is comparable to Joni's Blue.

Both a perfection .

by Anonymousreply 79January 28, 2012 3:21 AM

r77 again - that friend who died was my best pal, we had shared apartments for years when in our 20s, and stayed friends through all our other relationships.

Joni's "Night Ride Home" is a lovely little song too, and those late 70s albums like Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira and that Don Juan's Reckless Daughter had some amazing sounds and aural landscapes like Paprika Plains, and I loved "Talk To Me", "Cotton Avenue" etc and that mash-up of "Chinese Cafe" & "Unchained Melody". Those gatefold albums were terrific - I remember she saying in some interview that even Madonna couldn't get gatefold albums then! Joni also did lots of interviews over the later years, always giving good copy in various music and other magazines, I have kept quite a few. Elvis Costello did a good talk with her too in Vanity Fair with Herb Ritts photos and of course he made her look beautiful, even with cigarette in hand!

I had a terrific vhs cassette too of videos of hers titled "Come in from the Cold" - it wasn't on dvd though - where she does a terrific video for "Dancing Clown" where she washing dishes in her kitchen and boogieing around, playing with her cat etc, and she makes some nice comments on each track, imitating her mother etc. It showed her funny side.

by Anonymousreply 80January 28, 2012 3:33 AM

Did she ever hook up with Don Henley ?

by Anonymousreply 81January 28, 2012 3:39 AM

Judy Collins talked her son into committing suicide while she watched. A horrible, horrible woman.

by Anonymousreply 82January 28, 2012 3:44 AM

Thanks for the link r78 - I had not been to her website for ages, its quite different now. A friend in San Francisco sent me those recent pictures, where she looks a lot different with that new hairstyle, but more glamorous as she embraces getting older - best way to go, but amazing seeing her and Jane Fonda together ...

When I met her in 72 we were laughing about her recent concert where she and Jackson were plagued by sound problems, so she was interested in what the audience thought.

by Anonymousreply 83January 28, 2012 3:45 AM

I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 84January 28, 2012 3:49 AM

Her four top 40 hits are forgettable, so I never bothered with her. It's nice she has her fans though she doesn't sound like a fan type person. I did hear a funny technopop record with spacey Mitchell in a constant loop talking about puffy clouds.

by Anonymousreply 85January 28, 2012 3:51 AM

Springsteen came on to Charlie?

You need to tell me exactly what happened.

by Anonymousreply 86January 28, 2012 3:52 AM

Her mother Myrtle lived to a good age too, but amazing her father got to 100. Those Canadian prairie folk have good genes !

Night Ride Home is indeed a lovely little song, I sing it a lot to myself when returning home late at night with my partner driving ....

those lyrics for Both Sides Now, The Circle Game etc were so mature for a young person to write - and they sound even better when a mature person sings them, I was delighted Doris Day sang Both Sides Now on a 1971 tv special, which was aired here over christmas.

by Anonymousreply 87January 28, 2012 3:55 AM

You Turn Me On Im a Radio is another favourite, which she apparantly wrote to get a top 40 hit as Geffen kept at her to get. Blue is probably her best album but Court & Spark just had the edge for me - I cant imagine ever getting tired of them. They all have such different sounds - we always played that Ladies of the Canyon on sunday mornings back then .... River is a great Christmas lyric too, as covered recently on Glee.

by Anonymousreply 88January 28, 2012 4:02 AM

Amateur!

by Anonymousreply 89January 28, 2012 4:03 AM

Doris. LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 28, 2012 4:06 AM

According to the biography of Carly Simon released this month, she fucked every man she worked with or otherwise met.

Busy gal.

by Anonymousreply 91January 28, 2012 4:08 AM

Thanks Tony Randall r90 ! Doris looked very matronly in a smock and combed back hair singing it in the 71 tv show.

by Anonymousreply 92January 28, 2012 4:13 AM

R52, let's see. Bitter? According to her, she and Dylan are the only pop artists of quality and she definitely resents the success of other female artists. God forbid any of them would cite Mitchell as an influence because they were sure to meet with her disapproving wrath. "Rolling Stone" once did an hilarious article on it featuring an amusing map. Lonely? Maybe not but she screwed up her relationship with her daughter and is currently alone. Bag? That sun and cigarettes haven't been good to the Canadian fair skin. It has to be daunting to a woman who once claimed she couldn't write in a room with a mirror in it because it was too distracting.

Mitchell is unquestionably a talent but she's one of those musical geniuses you'd rather hear than read about.

by Anonymousreply 93January 28, 2012 4:17 AM

I don't know where you got that R93, but she hates Dylan, too. She didn't before but he reputedly fell asleep during a Asylum record release of "Court and Spark" and she started slagging him. She also called Joan Baez and Grace Slick "drunken whores".

by Anonymousreply 94January 28, 2012 4:26 AM

Chelsea Morning - what a great nostalgic lyric, one of her best.

If I had to compile a top 10 Joni tracks:

Chelsea Morning Both Sides Now The Circle Game Urge for Going Night Ride Home Be Cool Man to Man Goodbye Pork Pie Hat A Case of You The Last Time I Saw Richard Car On A Hill Down to You My Old Man All I Want River A Strange Boy Chinese Cafe Off Night Back Street Talk To Me Cotton Avenue Coyote Amelia Edith and the Kingpin Charlie's House/Centrepiece

ok, top 24 then.

by Anonymousreply 95January 28, 2012 4:27 AM

The drunken whores comment is especially hilarious considering this thread. Of course she's right.

by Anonymousreply 96January 28, 2012 4:32 AM

Its impossible to really do a 'mixtape' of her best songs [they tried it with "Hits" and "Misses"], as each is part of of the tapestry of the album it came from, which all have different sounds, moods, textures spanning the late 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond.

Her later official compilations were interesting though.

by Anonymousreply 97January 28, 2012 4:33 AM

I honestly never knew she was such a bitch. Makes me like her more. Urge for Going is the soundtrack to my life.

by Anonymousreply 98January 28, 2012 4:36 AM

I love those early tracks too like Tin Angel and that one Streisand covered: I Dont Know Where I Stand. Her piano work is so distinctive too, like on For Free etc.

It was amusing too then seeing Barbra trying to get hip singing Joni, Carole King, Laura Nyro songs on those Stoney End and Barbara Joan albums.

by Anonymousreply 99January 28, 2012 4:37 AM

For someone who is not the greatest, female or otherwise, singer, writer, performer (open tuning with capos?! learn how to play it already), she is indeed bitter - read her interviews. She's ungrateful to the nth degree. As David Crosby said "she has the ego of Mussilini".(sp?) Not a fun gal. And when I was living in l.a., also singing at the Troubador, Bla Bla Cafe, etc., I remember Blue coming out after she had a long affair with David Blue, a folk singer with a heroin habit. we all assumed the album was inspired by that romance. And I would have had sex with every one of the guys she had. Come on, who wouldn't?

by Anonymousreply 100January 28, 2012 4:41 AM

Tom Rush deserves credit for covering those early Joni and James Taylor lyrics on his '68 Tom Rush album (I had it when I was 20), he was a candadian singer too but their fame soon outstripped his, I discovered his album again recently, so nostalgic, I loved his version of her Urge for Going, and Tin Angel.

by Anonymousreply 101January 28, 2012 4:43 AM

Barangrill - I loved that song and she is funny singing it again on that later album of her songs re-done with an orchestra. She puts on a funny voice for the cocktail waitress !

So nostalgic too going back to that first album from 1968, the lyrics are so dense compared to the later stuff.

by Anonymousreply 102January 28, 2012 4:51 AM

For the Roses in 72 is a very complex album too, with some amazing lyrics, that song about Beethoven for instance. And there she is posing naked in the gatefold sleeve ! Not many others would have done that ...

by Anonymousreply 103January 28, 2012 4:56 AM

I went to a concert of hers about a decade ago. Her voice was pretty much gone but she started lecturing the audience about their behavior, in spite of the fact that almost all were rabid fans. I mean, they'd have to be. You have to understand that graciousness was never part of her DNA.

by Anonymousreply 104January 28, 2012 4:57 AM

Thankfully she was gracious to me when I approached her in 72 - as mentioned earlier - but we were both 26 then! (it was after Blue but before For The Roses).

She always complained about having to sing the same songs, so she used to try and do them differently, like those different versions of Woodstock. As a painter her point was that artists didnt have to keep painting the same picture but of course singers and songwriters and musicians have to keep playing their popular stuff which audiences come to hear.

I am off to bed now, 6am London time, but its been a great thread. I shall look in again tomorrow....

by Anonymousreply 105January 28, 2012 5:04 AM

Speaking of Laura Nyro - who I also love - Laura is on a VERY short list of performers that Joni has said she likes and/or was influenced by.

Considering the rest of that short list is painters and jazz musicians, that says a LOT about Laura.

[quote]She also called Joan Baez and Grace Slick "drunken whores".

For this alone, we should start a religion worshipping her. LOL

by Anonymousreply 106January 28, 2012 5:08 AM

By all accounts, she is one of the cuntiest cunts that ever cunted.

by Anonymousreply 107January 28, 2012 5:08 AM

Wasnt there a story some years back about a housekeeper of hers who either attacked Joni or stole from her and there was a court case .. what was the outcome of that? Nice to know that she has domestic staff to do the boring stuff but of course all these stars do.

by Anonymousreply 108January 28, 2012 5:13 AM

Do you know what her cunting daughter did?!

by Anonymousreply 109January 28, 2012 5:14 AM

[quote]Barangrill - I loved that song and she is funny singing it again on that later album of her songs re-done with an orchestra. She puts on a funny voice for the cocktail waitress !

No, that was The Last Time I Saw Richard. And it was funny but ruined the song by breaking the mood.

I saw her in concert over 10 years ago when she opened for Bob Dylan (whose singing I can't tolerate and left before he burdened me with his talent). She was harassed by the audience for being boring and not Dylan. She was very nasty back to the crowd, chiding them for not deserving good music.

I love Joni's music and think her lyrics are genius, but thought she was very dull and boring in concert (every song sounded the same -- and I knew them) and a total cunt.

by Anonymousreply 110January 28, 2012 5:17 AM

She's put down Nyro as well, although that's probably changed her tune since she died.

OP, that religion has already been started by Joni herself.

If you want to book her, you have to get a private jet because she insists on smoking in the cabin? That and her terrible, unprofessional behavior at benefits like the Old Towne School have made her a pariah.

by Anonymousreply 111January 28, 2012 5:20 AM

Mitchell just has a very strange relationship with female singer songwriters, something she herself admits. It might be ego or female ego but it's telling that her two closest female performer friends are nonsongwriters Linda Ronstadt and Bonnie Raitt.

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2012 5:52 AM

[quote]As David Crosby said "she has the ego of Mussilini".(sp?)

The quote was "She's about as humble as Mussolini."

by Anonymousreply 113January 28, 2012 7:25 AM

[quote]And one ENTIRE BAND (though not at the same time): Crosby, Stills, Nash AND Young!

I'm pretty sure Joni never fucked Neil Young. I don't know that she was ever with Stills either. She dated Crosby briefly when she met him and she had a serious (though not very long-lived) relationship with Graham Nash.

by Anonymousreply 114January 28, 2012 7:30 AM

r95 again - how could I have forgot my very favourite Joni song: Let The Wind Carry Me, on For The Roses - its an amazing lyric about the choices we make, powerful vocal and sublime chorus and music, I played it endlessly, it was my story.

and yes of course It Was Last Time I Saw Richard ! it was the middle of the night and my mind went! Barrangrill is a lovely lyric too.

With Joni for me its always been a combination of the voice, the words and the music ..,.

Marcie on the first album is a very clever lyric too with that wordplay on the colours red and green, amazing for one so young. She was certainly a genius with words.

by Anonymousreply 115January 28, 2012 7:52 AM

Wny though did she keep the name Mitchell from that first shortlived marriage? - I suppose Joni Mitchell sounded better than Joni Anderson.

He certainly got shafted - she not only becomes more famous than him but using his name !

by Anonymousreply 116January 28, 2012 7:54 AM

I still have my Tom Rush albums on vinyl, R101. He gently rocked Joni's really sensitive stuff in a way that connected with my queer brain, and I still love him for it (Rush, I think, is straight 'tho.) Here he is doing Urge for Going a few years back. I like how he's apparently mutating into Mark Twain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 28, 2012 8:32 AM

Chris Botti also toured with Joni in one of her jazz oriented line ups.

Botti is an excellent trumpeter, but you wouldn't know if from the Smooth Jazz crap he now performs.

I wonder if Joni fucked him too, Botti was very attractive years ago, with his naturally wavy brown hair, not the dyed blond style he favors today.

Sting was obsessed with Jaco Pasorius, even down to trying to look like him, this was pre-fame, pre-blond hair dye and pre-nose job.

Sting mentioned idolizing Jaco in a very old interview in either the NME of the Melody Maker.

by Anonymousreply 118January 28, 2012 9:01 AM

She slept with everyone on CSI:NY?

by Anonymousreply 119January 28, 2012 9:22 AM

i love OP's post at r74. Warm and aloof. She's both.

I know someone (or used to know her) who was lucky enough to be on a photo shoot at Joni's house and DECLINED an offer to smoke some pot with her. I cannot imagine. I would have relished such a moment, especially as it was back in the early nineties when I was in my early 20s...

by Anonymousreply 120January 28, 2012 11:06 AM

it it echoey in there?

by Anonymousreply 121January 28, 2012 11:31 AM

Gee, I never knew she was involved with Jackson Browne. Wish I had known... I'm always looking for some part-time gigs on the side.

by Anonymousreply 122January 28, 2012 12:01 PM

[R108] Yeah, that happened at the end of the 80s. Joni had a few litigation issues going on then. California was after her for tax, and her housekeeper sued her. The song "Windfall (Everything for Nothing)" on "Night Ride Home" is about that. Great song (see link).

[R111] You're in Chicago? I remember an Old Town School of Music benefit where tickets were $5,000. Out of my price range, I'm afraid.

[R113] This is from David Crosby, and in reply to comments he made which made her look humble in comparison. Crosby is as egotistical as they come, and his gifts are far less than hers, quite frankly. Also, he thinks he's God's gift to women even though he hasn't been able to see his penis for years.

[R118] Along with Rickie Lee and Suzanne Vega, Sting was another person Joni sniped at in an interview. His whole first solo album had a huge jazz influence and it took him many years to finally acknowledge Joni's mid 70s work was the main influence.

Listen, Joni's difficult and unpleasant and pissed (that her work isn't appreciated) and as she ages she's been more pissed and more difficult, etc. You could say the same about Miles Davis, Picasso, etc. She's got their gifts and she's also got their ego.

I still find her far more interesting than a thousand pop tarts who Auto-tune and say all the right things in an interview. I find many of Joni's flops and mistakes on her albums more interesting that other artists' hits. Your mileage, however, may vary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 28, 2012 12:52 PM

[R121] No, but there's some cobwebs in here. I've been lonely for a while.

by Anonymousreply 124January 28, 2012 1:38 PM

Um, you guys forgot the eldergay thread warning.

by Anonymousreply 125January 28, 2012 2:00 PM

I love this thread, and I want charlie to come back and tell us more about Bruce Springsteen coming on to him.

I had to post this version of Coyote, from Shadows and Light:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 28, 2012 2:10 PM

[quote]I want charlie to come back and tell us more

Kill me now!

by Anonymousreply 127January 28, 2012 2:20 PM

When are you gonna get home, Harry?

by Anonymousreply 128January 28, 2012 2:42 PM

Amazing what idiotic posts are here. Well, it's DL, so don't be surprised.

Crosby: The comment about Mussolini was made as a joke during the 1974 CSNY tour. Many years late, he called her the greatest songwriter of the century and confessed he still loved her.

Nash: The affair was not "brief." It lasted for well over a year, and Nash has talked about it in interviews. Young wrote "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" about what happened.

Stills: He played bass on "Night in the City" and was deeply in love with Judy Collins--who introduced Mitchell to the masses. No affair with Mitchell.

Young: Admitted that he was too intimidated to get involved with her. Also admitted he was fascinated by her.

Jagger fucks everyone and gets a pass. Please.

She is one of the greatest--along with Dylan, Young, and Cohen. If you don't get her then you are stupid. Case closed. Class dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 129January 28, 2012 3:29 PM

She also insulted Prince after he said that "Hissing of Summer Lawns" was his favorite album of all time.

Her dislike of female songwriters like Rickie Lee Jones seems to stem from the constant comparisons to her. Just like her hatred of Dylan appears to stem from everyone calling her "the female Dylan."

She did try to gain more mainstream acceptance a while ago when she even went on the Rosie show. I saw a jukebox musical of her work in LA ages ago and it was very good and Mitchell said she wanted to write a Broadway musical, which of course, never came about.

by Anonymousreply 130January 28, 2012 3:43 PM

Honey, you turn me on, I'm a labia….

by Anonymousreply 131January 28, 2012 4:11 PM

S what broke up Joni and Graham ?

by Anonymousreply 132January 28, 2012 4:19 PM

[R132] Me.

by Anonymousreply 133January 28, 2012 4:30 PM

A few years back, asked by an interviewer to name recent songs she liked, Joni came up with one: "You get what you give" by the New Radicals. Then she proceeded to dis Alanis and Sarah McClahlan.

by Anonymousreply 134January 28, 2012 4:37 PM

She thought being his wife would cast her as "the little woman" and hold her back from creating/performing.

by Anonymousreply 135January 28, 2012 4:44 PM

Is it true Joni was up for the role of Julia Cumson in TV's Falcon Crest because they were looking for an actress with a vicious overbite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 28, 2012 4:53 PM

I remember her sniping at Sting - they were at some benefit years ago and Joni walked in and saw Sting at his table but she felt he didnt want her joining him in case someone more important came in, and she called him out on it ..

I loved that first live album she did "Miles of Aisles" - this thread should obviously be titled "Miles of Cock" ! Bet she got as much if not more than Lana Turner or Ava Gardner!

"Night in the City" is a marvellous song too from the first album, about being young in the big city - I related to it so much.

She is such a big influence that any girl with a guitar is immediately indebted to her.

by Anonymousreply 137January 28, 2012 6:12 PM

[quote]Miles of Aisles

Awesome version of Carey on that LP...

by Anonymousreply 138January 28, 2012 6:48 PM

[quote]Nash: The affair was not "brief." It lasted for well over a year, and Nash has talked about it in interviews.

My point was, despite the number of well-known songs it inspired, and the ongoing connection between Nash and Joni in people's minds, they weren't really together all that long. A year seems pretty brief to me in the lifespans of two people who are pushing 70.

by Anonymousreply 139January 28, 2012 7:44 PM

[quote]This is from David Crosby, and in reply to comments he made which made her look humble in comparison. Crosby is as egotistical as they come, and his gifts are far less than hers, quite frankly. Also, he thinks he's God's gift to women even though he hasn't been able to see his penis for years.

*Shrug* I was just clarifying what it was he actually said, not passing judgment on him for saying it or Joni for being it. I know he loves her and meant it affectionately.

by Anonymousreply 140January 28, 2012 7:46 PM

And it was the relationship with Crosby I called brief, not the relationship with Nash.

by Anonymousreply 141January 28, 2012 7:48 PM

Larry Klein (Joni's second husband) had moments in the 80s of looking like John Holmes and/or John Oates…but I think he's actually a very handsome man, sans the stache.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 28, 2012 7:52 PM

…and there was another seriously hot piece of daddy ass she was dating in the 90s, Don Freed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 28, 2012 8:12 PM

Here's who's been inside of me lately!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 28, 2012 8:33 PM

"Along with Rickie Lee and Suzanne Vega, Sting was another person Joni sniped at in an interview. His whole first solo album had a huge jazz influence and it took him many years to finally acknowledge Joni's mid 70s work was the main influence."

Did Sting actually admit this in an interview OR is this Mitchell stating this?

Ironically The Police were formed around the mid 70s, originally with members of British avant-garde rockers, GONG, so I doubt Sting was absorbing much of Mitchell's work at that time those LPs were released.

It seems Joni, who is extremely talented, spends way toooo much time worrying, and commenting, about who she's influenced and/or compared to in the pop music spectrum. Perhap's she needs to record with some of the people she always rags on?

She's lucky to have made a very decent living doing something she loves, others should be so luck. She needs to stop whining and enjoy her success and all that cash!

Re Sting's jazz influence, I was a huge Police and Sting fan, before Sting became a hypocritical jet setting asshole married to a crazy plastic surgery addicted harpy, who forgets she grew up in abject poverty in a dreary English suburb. I don't think Trudie even grew up with a toilet inside her home. I'm glad one of their cooks sued her. I digress...

Sting's first band was a Dixieland jazz band, this was when he was still up in Newcastle! He stated The Police were the first rock band he'd ever played in. He also claimed his vocal style was a combination of Cleo Laine and Bob Marley, just so you don't claim he was influenced by Joni vocally!

Sure, TONS of famous musicians cite Joni as an influence, not shock there, but please don't state Sting went back to HIS jazz roots because of Joni!

Sting was a jazz bassist BEFORE The Police, the band he played with was called Last Exit, and he was also a huge Jaco Pastorius fan. Sting also plays stand up bass.

by Anonymousreply 145January 29, 2012 12:23 AM

There are obviously 2 types of posters on here, those who idolise(d) Joni and know her work, and some bitchy queens dissing her because of her perceived cuntiness. One or 2 here have even met her., lucky guys.

I bought her 90s albums like Turbulent Indigo and Taming the Tiger but they just didn't register with me, think I played them once and filed them away - but I keep returning to the earlier stuff, those albums from the 60s, 70s and 80s define those eras for me.

While never a great seller with the general public all those albums are still available and must continue to sell to new discoverers of her.

As that London guy who met her mentioned, some of her lyrics would seem to cover the gay experience/lifestyle as Joni also lived that independent life:

"you go down to the pickup station craving warmth and beauty, a few drinks later you're not so choosy ...."

I didn't think this thread would last - there was another Joni one a year or two ago - but she still fascinates and keeps her admirers.

by Anonymousreply 146January 29, 2012 2:33 AM

Did anyone listen to or like the Herbie Hancock CD, The River: The Joni Letters

by Anonymousreply 147January 29, 2012 2:52 AM

Yup, played it once and put it away, I should go back to it now. Didn't like Tina Turner's version of whichever one she sang.

Gay jazz singer Ian Shaw's album of Joni covers is much more listenable,I like it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 148January 29, 2012 4:04 AM

I liked that recent version of River by Joni and Herbie, think it was in 2008. I downloaded it from iTunes, not sure what album it was on or if it was released separately.

Man to Man and Be Cool are also very gay-ish, lyricwise.

by Anonymousreply 149January 29, 2012 4:07 AM

Oh fuck off Elderfangurl R146. This is DL. We're supposed to talk about the cuntiness that Mitchell is so expert at. And more than a few who did so were also fans of her work so your generalization is also off.

Can't it be that she's a great artist AND a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 150January 29, 2012 4:13 AM

[quote]Can't it be that she's a great artist AND a cunt?

I've been saying this for a few years now R150!

by Anonymousreply 151January 29, 2012 9:43 AM

[quote] Can't it be that she's a great artist AND a cunt?

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 152January 29, 2012 1:46 PM

Did I ever accommodate Liam Neeson?

From the sounds of it, I sure would have liked to!

"By the time I got to his cock…it was half a yardstick looooong…."

by Anonymousreply 153January 29, 2012 9:23 PM

Did Joni like the brothas? Did she get with jazz musicians that played on her albums like Wayne Shorter, Joe Sample or even Mingus?

by Anonymousreply 154January 29, 2012 11:46 PM

I was wondering that, too, R154.

by Anonymousreply 155January 30, 2012 12:26 AM

[R154] Apparently, yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 30, 2012 12:42 AM

Thanks r156. that didn't take long, lol. I wonder what black men she had relationships with

by Anonymousreply 157January 30, 2012 1:28 AM

I like Wayne Shorter well enough, but if I have one complaint about Joni's later albums, she overused that birdlike sax/horn that he played for her in EVERY. FUCKING. SONG.

Sometimes it fit really well, but in other songs it was just noise.

by Anonymousreply 158January 30, 2012 4:04 AM

I think we've said just about enough about this old, hairy snatch?

by Anonymousreply 159January 30, 2012 4:11 AM

Go back to Moo Bayou, moo moo.

by Anonymousreply 160January 30, 2012 5:15 AM

I heard she suffers from vagina dentata.

by Anonymousreply 161January 30, 2012 5:21 AM

Lies! The idea of that simply gnaws away at me, [R161].

by Anonymousreply 162January 30, 2012 12:14 PM

I was amazed this thread got past 100 posts - you all still love me, or love to hate me ...

by Anonymousreply 163January 30, 2012 12:23 PM

Occupy Joni's Vagina is now looking for new members!

If you're a musician with a long thick cock, inquire within.

by Anonymousreply 164January 31, 2012 2:25 AM

I like that recent photo of Joni and Jane Fonda together - as per a link here. Which of them got more dick I wonder ? My money is on the prairie girl !

by Anonymousreply 165January 31, 2012 3:22 AM

[R165] Now, that's a Dick Cavett show I would TOTALLY pay to see!

by Anonymousreply 166January 31, 2012 1:31 PM

[quote] If you don't get her then you are stupid. Case closed. Class dismissed.

Fuck off. That you're taking pop music so seriously is just the beginning of your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 167January 31, 2012 1:50 PM

[R167] If you think Joni Mitchell is pure pop then you know nothing.

Sorry. To compare Joni to pop musicians is an imbalanced comparison. Even comparing her to the male rockers is moot.

Joni's work should be compared to Mozart and Beethoven.

by Anonymousreply 168January 31, 2012 7:14 PM

I'm kinda with you R168...I also think years from now her music will be more highly regarded than her male contemporary/counterpart, Bob Dylan.

I once read that some people find her music "too sad", and someone responded that "sad people find great comfort in her music". I agree.

Not appreciating her music is a deal-breaker for me.

by Anonymousreply 169January 31, 2012 8:08 PM

[quote]I like Wayne Shorter well enough, but if I have one complaint about Joni's later albums, she overused that birdlike sax/horn that he played for her in EVERY. FUCKING. SONG.

Amen. A millions times, amen. I really admire her and have listened to all her CDs, but this relentless musical tic drove me fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 170January 31, 2012 8:12 PM

Were there ever any "Ladies of the Canyon?"

Joni's canyon, that is!

Hee.

by Anonymousreply 171January 31, 2012 8:20 PM

She's the best. Better than Dylan, and so searingly intelligent and perceptive in her '70s albums that I marvel at how young she was when she wrote those song. "Hejira" alone is enough to seal her place in music history but she has so much more beyond that album (obviously a personal favorite).

by Anonymousreply 172January 31, 2012 8:33 PM

[quote]"Hejira" alone is enough to seal her place in music history

In lyrical history, without question. In musical history? Hardly. I found the music on Hejira rather monotonous and repetitive.

The lyrics, on the other hand, were in a class all their own. It was a revelation to hear a pop singer be so intelligently poetic.

by Anonymousreply 173January 31, 2012 8:40 PM

I know she wrote most of Blue while living above the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, Pa. Which I find very odd. Does anyone know the story behind that? I know she needed to get away from Laurel Canyon, but the Main Line? Weird.

by Anonymousreply 174January 31, 2012 8:40 PM

[quote]In lyrical history, without question. In musical history?

Rolling Stone said at the time that "Hejira" was the album that elevated Joni from major songwriter to minor poet.

by Anonymousreply 175January 31, 2012 8:55 PM

Hmm...Pastorius's bass on "Hejira" gives it a distinctive sound but I don't think that it's repetitive at all. I won't argue, though, that the real treasure of that album are the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 176January 31, 2012 9:04 PM

I love Hejira but every album since then has the same smooth-jazz vibe which has badly dated them. Except Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, which made me think Joni and I discovered shrooms at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 177January 31, 2012 9:16 PM

The song "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" sounds like a leftover from Hejira. It's as if she slapped some new lyrics on Coyote.

by Anonymousreply 178January 31, 2012 9:29 PM

You look so youthful, Time has been untruthful, heaven knows. I loved you thirty years ago.

No one knows I'm here, Lately I've just disappeared and took these two grey rooms up here; with a view of you.

by Anonymousreply 179January 31, 2012 9:40 PM

R179: If I male sang that song, it would scream "Scary sociopath!"

by Anonymousreply 180January 31, 2012 9:50 PM

[quote] "Hejira" alone is enough to seal her place in music history.

And it's not even a perfect album - Furry Sings the Blues is a really bad song - but yes, I'd agree.

Coyote, Amelia, Hejira and Song for Sharon are masterpieces. I first heard this album 25 years ago and it's not new to me…but Amelia had me weeping the other day when I was listening to it. That's powerful music. And timeless music.

by Anonymousreply 181January 31, 2012 11:49 PM

Can someone start a thread on my vagine?

by Anonymousreply 182February 1, 2012 12:05 AM

[R182] In the infamous words of the legendary songstress Carole King:

It's too late baby, now, it's too late….

by Anonymousreply 183February 1, 2012 12:07 AM

Can linda even see her vagine at this point?

by Anonymousreply 184February 1, 2012 12:08 AM

I don't mind "Furry"!

by Anonymousreply 185February 1, 2012 12:11 AM

R182: Linda, we would, but do you really want to draw attention to your toxic vagina, with the trigger-happy EPA itching, just like you, to call it a supersite?

by Anonymousreply 186February 1, 2012 12:12 AM

I love Joni and I love A Case of You.

However, the best version of that song is by Diana Krall:Live in Paris.

She lifts it to a whole other level of perfection.

by Anonymousreply 187February 1, 2012 12:20 AM

You're no good, you're no good, baby you're no good!

by Anonymousreply 188February 1, 2012 12:32 AM

I agree, R181, "Furry" is a crap song. "I'm rich and I'm fay" - yecch.

I think Amelia is her best song.

by Anonymousreply 189February 1, 2012 12:48 AM

There's a short list of really bad, dumb or boring Joni songs and Furry is near the top.

Taming the Tiger (the song) is also on that list. Dancing Clown (with Billy Idol)

And then a lot of her Dog Eat Dog album is dull.

I liked Wild Things Run Fast and Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm - both of them have good songs that I think the production sounds dated on, but underneath are some really good tunes.

by Anonymousreply 190February 1, 2012 1:01 AM

Go into any record store (the few that are left) and all those albums are still there, still in circulation, and presumably still selling to new admirers, and probably being downloaded too.

This thread has driven me back to them once again. I only liked a couple of Dylans - John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, Blood on the tracks; and Neil Young's After the goldrush and Harvest, Carole's Tapestry and a few James Taylors - but Joni's towers over them all.

by Anonymousreply 191February 1, 2012 4:06 AM

Furry may be one of the most condescending songs ever written.

But I remember walking down Beale Street and the lyrics seemed very vivid to me.

"Staring at her stolen name" no longer sounded like pretentious filler when I saw the Daisy theater boarded up and a new theater bearing the same name across the street.

by Anonymousreply 192February 1, 2012 4:09 PM

Two Grey Rooms is one of my favorite Joni songs. She said this about it in the Geffen Years (1980s) box set: "It took me seven years to find words for it. I kept thinking, "This thing wants to be written in French," and I had to find the right story for the mood of it. It's a very dramatic melody, full of longing. So, I finally found a story in some magazine about a German aristocrat, a homosexual and friend of Fassbinder, who had a lover in his youth that he never got over. He lost track of him for many years. One day, he discovered that his old flame was working on the docks. He moved out of his fancy digs and into a couple of dingy rooms that overlooked the route where, with his hard hat and his lunch pail, his ex-lover walked to work. He lived to glimpse him twice a day, coming and going. He never approached him."

by Anonymousreply 193February 1, 2012 4:28 PM

[R191] I would put Tapestry with some of Joni's work.

The shame is Carole King wrote much of her great work for other writers. But a few songs (It's Too Late, So Far Away, Jazzman) are really wonderful.

[R193] I love Two Grey Rooms, too. One of her better songs from that period.

by Anonymousreply 194February 1, 2012 11:57 PM

Carole Kings problem was that her lyrics tended to be banal.

Carly Simon was a better lyricist than Carole and better melody maker than Joni.

by Anonymousreply 195February 2, 2012 12:27 AM

Off Night Back Street is a terrific song with great words and music,it rocks. Now what album is it on? Maybe John Juan, I dont think its Hejira - years since I have played them. Its on Don Juan - I just checked my iPod !

Those late 60s songs on her first 2 albums are soooo nostalgic for me now.

I only really liked Carly's first two albums - with Anticipation, Thats the way I always heard it should be, No Secrets etc. Carole's Tapestry of course is a timeless classic, but about the only album of hers I needed (nice though to see her doing christmas songs last month) and of course Joni and James are on background vocals on some tracks of Tapestry.

by Anonymousreply 196February 2, 2012 3:36 AM

Come on guys, lets get Joni's thread up to 200 - nominate some more great songs and lyrics of hers.

by Anonymousreply 197February 2, 2012 3:40 AM

Carole's "Tapestry" is the only essential album of hers - whereas I couldn't choose between Joni's: those early ones, I group them as the first 3, then that early 70s trio (Blue, for the roses, court and spark); the late 70s trio (Hissing of summer lawns, hejira, Don Juan's reckless daughter); in the 80s I loved Wild Things Run Fast - Dog eat dog and Chalkmarks are just so-so (but still have some great songs like "Number One", "Shiny Toys") - "Night Ride Home" is the only 90s one I like, and 2000's "Both Sides Now" with those great classics charting the arc of romance and new versions of her own lyrics. The later compliations are interesting, and the 2 live ones: "Miles of Aisles!, and "Shadows and Light".

The 60s and 70s ones are the obvious classics impossible to choose between, but she was at her best with that great band, circa 1980, with Jaco and Pat Metheny. At least there is a good video recording and the double album of it.

by Anonymousreply 198February 2, 2012 3:53 AM

Her voice is so amazing on Blue - how it soared on those songs we loved like "All I Want", "My Old Man", "California", "A Case of You", "The Last Time I Saw Richard" etc.

Same with Court and Spark - more great songs, lyrics and music, almost charting the gay experience, or we can certainly relate to, here. Help Me, Free Man in Paris, Car On A Hill, Trouble Child, Just Like This Train, Peoples Parties etc.

Ladies of the Canyon, has a different, blissful sound too,with lots of piano - For Free, and the like. I wondered if that song "The Arrangment" was written for or influenced by Kazan's film that year 1969, as basically its the story of the film in Joni's lyric (from the Faye Dunaway character's point of view).

by Anonymousreply 199February 2, 2012 3:58 AM

I don't think anyone else's music changed and developed so much, which is maybe why she lots fans back in the 80s, as she ventured in jazz with more complicated lyrics. She wasn's simply the girl with the guitar and the piano any more.

'Chinese Cafe/Unchained Melody' is another achingly perfect nostalgic lyric and tune about her old smalltown life, which we can all identify with.

by Anonymousreply 200February 2, 2012 4:05 AM

Right, 200 it is.

The Mingus album is the one we tend to overlook, its probably a bit too difficult for most of us, but has a few great songs too. God must be a boogie man !

by Anonymousreply 201February 2, 2012 4:09 AM

"lost fans back in the 80s" I meant ...

It must have been great when touring, on the road with the guys, stopping off at barangrills etc... petrol pump attendants singing "Merry christmas" just like Nat King Cole, and eggs over easy.

by Anonymousreply 202February 2, 2012 4:15 AM

Her lyrics are being covered more now - Boyband member Ronan Keating (Boyzone) did "River" on one of his albums, George Michael does a lovely version of "Edith and the Kingpin", there is a gay british jazz singer Ian Shaw who did a whole album of her songs "Drawn to All Things" - its terrific, and of course Herbie Hancock's too.

by Anonymousreply 203February 2, 2012 4:17 AM

I like her in the concert video of Pink Floyds "The Wall" which they staged in Berlin, in 1980 I think, or later. Joni is great as part of the all star cast singing the songs, with Cyndi Lauper, Uta Lemper, Sinead O'Connor, Marianne Faithfull etc, even Albert Finney! she sings 2 nice songs including "Goodbye Blue Sky". Its on the dvd.

by Anonymousreply 204February 2, 2012 4:28 AM

I have just ordered a new (to me) Joni CD !- a recording of her 1970 concert with James Taylor, who also sings on it - its called Joni Mitchell & James Taylor - at the Royal Albert Hall in London - it has of course those early songs including some from Blue, not yet released then.

I missed this concert, but saw her next one, on her own at London's Festival Hall in 1971, and then the 72 one with Jackson Browne, and the 74 one with the new band of Tom Scott & John Guerin - but this 70 cd should be prime nostalgia, the quality is good according to amazon.

by Anonymousreply 205February 2, 2012 10:53 AM

I love something about every album she's done, but it's really the stretch from Blue to Mingus that is her master period. And that is eight years of amazing work:

Blue For The Roses Court and Spark The Hissing of Summer Lawns Don Juan's Reckless Daughter Mingus

I have a special affinity for the song "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter." I remember hooking up with a guy and him fucking me to the beat of that song. Very sensual. : )

by Anonymousreply 206February 2, 2012 12:37 PM

I bet Joni got fucked to the beat of it too !

Paprika Plains is a great aural landscape on that - she was the first really to use jungle drums (on Hissing of Summer Lawns) and third world bands and beats, Paul Simon and Sting then took them up claiming all the credit ...

that 1970 concert recording should be interesting, if capturing her and Taylor's comments between songs etc.

by Anonymousreply 207February 2, 2012 12:51 PM

I had to try to find the tree that appeared in Rolling Stone. I thought it was just Joni but apparently it was many others.

This settles once and for all: It was Crosby Stills and Nash…but no Young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208February 2, 2012 11:00 PM

Do you have a period? Does blood come out from the opening between your legs?

by Anonymousreply 209February 2, 2012 11:13 PM

Jill, it's all on YouTube honey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210February 3, 2012 12:31 PM

[quote]Paprika Plains is a great aural landscape

More like a self-indulgent wasteland with no horizon.

by Anonymousreply 211February 3, 2012 12:40 PM

Yeah, PP was interesting but not for sixteen fucking minutes.

by Anonymousreply 212February 3, 2012 12:49 PM

It had a "I'm making this up as I go along" vibe to it.

by Anonymousreply 213February 3, 2012 12:54 PM

No one knows I'm here One day I just disappeared And I took these two grey rooms up here

by Anonymousreply 214February 3, 2012 12:57 PM

I've been at icy altitudes

by Anonymousreply 215February 3, 2012 1:11 PM

Whose long, black hair is in the bathtub drain?

Oh, never mind; it's mine.

by Anonymousreply 216February 3, 2012 2:49 PM

Miracle that there's actually another thread that isn't the 27,894,678 threads currently about Madonna.

I still love the story about a Joni concert in the 90s where Carly Simon and Chrissie Hynde showed up. Chrissie got drunk, grabbed Carly and was like, "That's a real singer up there!" and then drunkenly yelled "Thank you for staying with us, Joni!"

Gah, I fucking LOVE Chrissie Hynde.

by Anonymousreply 217February 3, 2012 4:06 PM

Color me seriously shocked: Joni apparently attempted suicide and Jackson Browne hit her.

Which makes the whole "Not To Blame" song clearer now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218February 3, 2012 6:47 PM

[quote]Color me seriously shocked: Joni apparently attempted suicide and Jackson Browne hit her.

She tried suicide after he dumped her for Phyllis Major, a British model. A few years with Jackson caused Phyllis to commit suicide.

Joni went to her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 219February 3, 2012 7:29 PM

Joni Mitchell is fantastic and the idiot who called her music 'pop' needs to find another thread.

That said, can we get back to David Crosby's cock?

by Anonymousreply 220February 3, 2012 7:51 PM

[R220] No one wants to get back to David Crosby's cock. It's shrunken into his wall of fat and David himself hasn't seen it since before the Berlin Wall came down.

by Anonymousreply 221February 4, 2012 1:33 AM

I can't imagine Joni attempting suicide over anyone, she's far too tough and single-minded. Any woman capable of giving up her child to pursue her muse or career has to be ....

by Anonymousreply 222February 4, 2012 2:44 AM

[quote]Any woman capable of giving up her child to pursue her muse or career has to be ....

She gave up the child because the man she married insisted after promising if they got married she could keep it.

by Anonymousreply 223February 4, 2012 2:52 AM

That was Chuck Mitchell - whatever happened to him? He and Joni were becoming known on the then coffee club circuuit, presumably thats why she kept his name as her own solo career took off.

Poetic revenge on him then, for trying to keep her down - she was an absolute genius then as words and music and song after song just poured out of her.

by Anonymousreply 224February 4, 2012 3:01 AM

[quote] Any woman capable of giving up her child to pursue her muse or career has to be ….

For the eleventyeth time: She gave up Kilauren for adoption ******WELL BEFORE****** her career started in any kind of earnest. She did not get famous and say, "Oh, damn this brat" as several posters have insinuated.

When she gave her up, she could barely feed herself, the dad was little more than a horny college freshman. The guy she married, Chuck Mitchell, was supposed to help her regain custody but we all know how that ended.

by Anonymousreply 225February 4, 2012 8:13 PM

"A Case of You.". A brilliant, haunting heart-breaking pop song.

Oddly enough, it does a disservice. It stands as a gatekeeper. The listener is subjected to what we'll may have been Joni's magnum opus, and leaves the listener unready to appreciate her truest moment of genius, "The Last Time I Saw Richard," a template for what would become, three decades later, the fundamental motif for popular culture.

by Anonymousreply 226February 5, 2012 4:52 AM

Bumpy vagina

by Anonymousreply 227February 11, 2012 4:15 AM

The live version of Carey on the Miles of Aisles album is one of my favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 228February 11, 2012 11:38 PM

R226, please marry me

by Anonymousreply 229February 11, 2012 11:54 PM

Etta, Whitney, and now Dory

I hope Joni (and Aretha) are in good health.

Just saying ...

by Anonymousreply 230February 15, 2012 4:37 AM

No one has mentioned me as the first record they bought!

This makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 231February 25, 2012 7:33 PM

R231, that's because we eldergays were pushing 40 when Joni's first album came out.

by Anonymousreply 232February 25, 2012 7:45 PM

So cool

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233February 25, 2012 9:28 PM

OK, after the David Geffen thread I thought this thread needed to be revisited.

And also, damn she saw a lot of fine cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234November 24, 2012 11:54 PM

This is the funniest post on her at the moment. I never cared for Joni Mitchell but I love what her vagina has to say.

by Anonymousreply 235November 25, 2012 12:02 AM

Didn't she also bone Jack Nicholson?

by Anonymousreply 236November 25, 2012 12:17 AM

Can someone start a thread on Sting?

by Anonymousreply 237November 25, 2012 1:11 AM

Joni's got a box now - with that nice little box with her first 10 albums all with mini gatefold sleeves, lovely box.

by Anonymousreply 238November 25, 2012 2:15 PM

The use of wolves howling in The Wolf that lives in Lindsey is haunting and brilliant

by Anonymousreply 239November 26, 2012 10:12 PM

There was a thread a while back that talked about James Taylor having a house at Martha's Vineyard, and a nude mudslide area that he would frequent. Said to have mammoth equipment.

by Anonymousreply 240November 26, 2012 10:24 PM

Flying Lotus, pretty talented producer with the kids, sampled "The Jungle Line" recently on a track, so her legacy is on lock. Joni's eternally cool, and she's already, historically speaking, starting to leave Dylan in the dust. Anybody I know who ever met her in LA said she is warm and genuinely kind, in no hurry and easy going. Anybody who rips Sting and his like a new asshole with as much impunity as Joni has my full respect.

by Anonymousreply 241November 26, 2012 11:45 PM

R240, I think Joni all but admitted that JT has a horse cock.

by Anonymousreply 242November 26, 2012 11:50 PM

Thats EXACTLY how Joni was when I met her 40 years ago, r241 - when (here I go again) I met her purely by chance in Kings Road Chelsea here in London, a week after her concerts here with Jackson Browne. He was with her at the time, I spied them when I was on a bus so I got off and followed them with no intention of speaking, but he ran off in front leaving her by herself, so I couldnt miss the chance to say hello and she was very friendly and we chatted as we walked along. It was after Blue but before For The Roses, and we all loved her then - in those days people like her didnt have minders or entourages and she was able to travel around ok. She mentioned the polio she had as a child so she couldnt run after Jackson. Its a very nice memory of being 26 in that era. They were trying to find an art gallery before it closed - it was late afternoon - so I walked her along to it.

by Anonymousreply 243November 27, 2012 8:02 AM

Nash said he and Joni were together for two years, which sounds about right. The were together part of 1968, all of 1969 and broke up in the spring of 1970.

by Anonymousreply 244November 27, 2012 7:48 PM

[quote]There was a thread a while back that talked about James Taylor having a house at Martha's Vineyard, and a nude mudslide area that he would frequent. Said to have mammoth equipment.

It proved big enough to share.

by Anonymousreply 245November 27, 2012 7:53 PM

I thought it was interesting that Joni said in an interview that for the Miles of Aisles tour, they were all paid in cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 246November 27, 2012 8:42 PM

That wouldnt surprise me r246 - the L.A. music scene in the 70s was awash with it, as was the movie biz then. (is it that different now?) I remember reading about Faye Dunaway getting her Oscar in 1976 and someone saying she looked like she had being doing coke and getting fucked in the limousine as she was so dishevelled when she got on stage ...

by Anonymousreply 247November 28, 2012 5:49 AM

Bump. ..... and grind.

by Anonymousreply 248November 28, 2012 5:47 PM

Regarding James Taylor and heroin: a friend belonged to an AA group on the UWS during the early 80s. Lots of SNL staff, music industry and radio people. He said that Taylor had gotten off heroin and that when he did SNL he went to the after show party and fell In hard with the drug crowd. He became a hard partier with Belushi and went back on heroin, and that's when Carly Simon divorced him.

by Anonymousreply 249November 28, 2012 6:50 PM

I heard the cast and crew of "1941" got paid in dollars and cocaine. They've rewritten history and now only mention Belushi's drug use during the filming, but at the time it was well known that everyone was wired tight on the set and it turned into a strung out clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 250November 28, 2012 6:56 PM

Its well known too that Scorsese and a lot of the NEW YORK NEW YORK cast and crew were coked up all the time, hence all the problems with making a successful picture ... which it wasnt really at the time.

by Anonymousreply 251November 28, 2012 8:21 PM

Is Joni Mitchell very small or are her guitars really big? She looks Iike she's physically overwhelmed by a guitar unless sitting down.

by Anonymousreply 252November 28, 2012 8:26 PM

People say she was beautiful when younger but I don't see it. She was buck toothed and looked like she had a botched nose job (though it's probably her real nose). And she looked like she should be wearing glasses.

by Anonymousreply 253November 28, 2012 8:37 PM

R253: Carly, has it started to snow on Martha's Vineyard yet?

by Anonymousreply 254November 28, 2012 8:52 PM

Not yet r254, but it's supposed to start soon. Oh sorry gotta go, my son's here!

by Anonymousreply 255November 28, 2012 8:55 PM

Don't forget Todd Rundgren, Frank Zappa, Lou Reed, Loudon Wainwright III, Jonathan Richman, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, Paddy Mc Aloon, Mark Eitzel, Leon Russell, Donald Fagen, Walter Becker, Phil Lynott, Larry Lee (of The Ozark Mountain Daredevils) and Jim Kiick and Larry Csonka! (of the undefeated Miami Dolphins of 1972)!

by Anonymousreply 256February 9, 2013 7:18 PM

My dusty muffin needs some air!

by Anonymousreply 257April 28, 2013 3:51 PM

R241, in the unlikely event you'll see this six months after you commented....

What Flying Lotus track samples Jungle Line? I tried to Google it but came up empty.

by Anonymousreply 258April 28, 2013 3:55 PM

I am frustrated that Linda Rondstadt's Central Nervous System is stealing all my thunder!

I'll be 70 in a few months and it's all about ME!

by Anonymousreply 259August 24, 2013 10:46 PM

R26 are your initials T.C.?

by Anonymousreply 260August 25, 2013 3:03 AM

I love Joni Mitchell.. no matter what. Bring it on!

by Anonymousreply 261August 25, 2013 3:16 AM

I am SEVENTY YEARS OLD this week, bitches!

And I am still getting the cobwebs poked outta me on a regular basis!

by Anonymousreply 262November 4, 2013 2:33 PM

i said 70 BITCHES!

by Anonymousreply 263November 5, 2013 10:49 PM

NOregrets coyote...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264November 6, 2013 12:05 PM

Who

by Anonymousreply 265November 6, 2013 5:53 PM

Ah, the Gagastans are here at R265.

by Anonymousreply 266November 6, 2013 11:12 PM

To celebrate Joni's 70th I'm going to have a Friday drinkie poo a day early!

by Anonymousreply 267November 7, 2013 12:29 AM

Still open for business!!

by Anonymousreply 268November 7, 2013 12:05 PM

I'd toast her, but I was flummoxed coming up with the appropriate drink.

I don't want to drink poison.

Not just yet . . .

by Anonymousreply 269November 7, 2013 12:27 PM

Carly you old drunk!

by Anonymousreply 270November 8, 2013 12:53 PM

Now, Carole, you know I have nothing against girls with noses like yours, but clearly James did.

Don't hate me because he wanted to duet under the sheets with me, but only on a stage, making money, with you.

by Anonymousreply 271November 8, 2013 1:07 PM

James Taylor has a small dick, don't believe the LIES that Joni Mitchell sells ya

by Anonymousreply 272November 8, 2013 2:10 PM

James Taylor has serious sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 273November 8, 2013 2:41 PM

Joni is the hexagram of the heavens.

Her vagina in human.

by Anonymousreply 274November 9, 2013 1:30 AM

Vagina, it was just a false alarm...

by Anonymousreply 275November 14, 2013 11:52 AM

Yes, the wolf that lives inside Lindsey is about her frightening torrid affair with FM auteur-- the subject of Don Henley's Life In The Fast Lane ("He was brutally handsome..." Blah blah. Eagles apparently couldn't handle Stevie's man, they wrote another hit song how attractive and scary he was . Weird.

by Anonymousreply 276November 15, 2013 1:34 AM

I 100% agree with r32

by Anonymousreply 277November 18, 2013 2:46 AM

Paint A Starry Night Again.

by Anonymousreply 278November 18, 2013 2:46 AM

BTW, Joni is a Scorpio. She can be nice or not so nice at will.

by Anonymousreply 279November 18, 2013 3:05 AM

R276 has the straight dope. I didn't know Lindsey and Joni got together. I've been listening to "Mingus" for years and never made the connection. Of course I imagined a hot feral chick named Lindsey. So coked out Lindsey was that crazy?

by Anonymousreply 280November 18, 2013 3:10 AM

Wait... Joni did Lindsay Buckingham?

That's... unexpected. But he is a brilliant musician, and he was really hot in his prime. So I can see it.

by Anonymousreply 281November 18, 2013 3:11 AM

Early Lindsay B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282November 18, 2013 3:16 AM

I read a poster who said he only listened to her 'hits' and dismissed her music as a result. Are you kidding me? Listen to Amelia, Borderline, Just Like This Train, LIttle Green, For the Roses, and that's just a small START to an incredible list of songs, both musically and lyrically ... ok you are dismissed, go to iTunes and get back to me

by Anonymousreply 283November 18, 2013 3:17 AM

I thought "Passion Play" was a pretty underrated song from Joni

by Anonymousreply 284November 18, 2013 3:21 AM

Yes 281, he's the one who got away. Most of Joni's 'he dumped me' or 'we broke up mutually' songs lack any bitterness. Maybe some wistful tinge to closure, but with Lindsey, she was out of control and angry. Hence, "The Wolf That Lives Inside Lindsey", one of her better songs, too, but damn, he did her, scared her, and really dumped her it seems.

by Anonymousreply 285November 18, 2013 3:28 AM

To the blackness And the blankets To lay down an impression And your lonliness

by Anonymousreply 286November 18, 2013 3:33 AM

let me add For Free, Cactus Tree (live version from Miles of Aisles), Marcie, Two Grey Rooms (good to see some fans of that song here), a bunch of stuff on Night Ride Home is beautiful, too ...im jealous of anyone who gets to rediscover Joni for the first time, what fun that would be

by Anonymousreply 287November 18, 2013 3:37 AM

I see nothing about the WOlf That Lives In LIndsey being even remotely about him, and Ive never heard that connection... questionable?

by Anonymousreply 288November 18, 2013 3:43 AM

I assume the heavy heavy snow imagery is coke lol.

by Anonymousreply 289November 18, 2013 3:54 AM

Huh? Lyrics below, closing verse:

There lives a wolf in Lindsey That raids and runs Through the hills of Hollywood And the downtown slums He gets away with murder The blizzards come and go The stab and glare and buckshot Of the heavy heavy snow It comes and goes It comes and goes

Um...the blizzards, the heavy snow (see Stevie's Landslide, which is of course, about--she even admits--her and Lindsey's coke addiction). Murder as a metaphor used in literature for centuries for petite mort, little death, orgasm, his cruel philandering. As well as killing, murdering her heart, her spirit and doing same to many. Everyone's already mentioned he's 'brutally handsome', in Don Henley's words. These are metaphors for his vicious and cavalier treatment of her. And his legendary coke, as Stevie's, addiction. He 'comes and goes' when he wishes, no love, no promises. But she's hooked. Get it?

by Anonymousreply 290November 18, 2013 3:59 AM

Of course, 288, you might fault her for her final couplet, she could have been clearer, since the OP made it about her vagina:

"He comes and goes" probably should have been spelled out for you: "He cums and goes".

by Anonymousreply 291November 18, 2013 4:03 AM

i love it some real Joni queens here, YES I get it, had NO idea just surprised she used his name in the song title, what does Stevie think of all this?

by Anonymousreply 292November 18, 2013 4:08 AM

Yes, 292, Stevie--his on and off--joined him in dramatic and hostile (though not quite so numerous) revenge fucks. She'd always fall in love, or deeply, he'd hit and run--as Joni pointed out--"banged 'em all, he banged him all." as Rory Kinnear in Stuck on You comments. It was a musical thing too, she hugely admired him over anyone else she'd ever banged for his musical ability.

by Anonymousreply 293November 18, 2013 4:16 AM

by the way, for all you who think the one who gets the most cock wins, check out JOni's old age bitterness, didnt seem to keep her too happy, why cant she just cherish the memories and cheer up? kinda kidding...but not really

by Anonymousreply 294November 18, 2013 4:28 AM

ive never heard Stevie nicks comment on Joni, wonder if there's hostility there--LIndsay must be GOOD in bed to harbor so much hate lol

by Anonymousreply 295November 18, 2013 4:31 AM

Joni's cultivated a lot of anger/problems, it wasn't the lack/luck of sex. She became irrelevant so quickly, stopped selling records too soon and the labels lost any interest in marketing her just a few years after some seriously great albums. But her fault too, lost her muse, became bitter, writer's block. Couldn't mount a comeback, ala Dylan--or for the purposes of this thread--Lindsey Buckingham. Serious British rags (and they do love their musicians forever and ever) have called the last LB solo albums as relevant, avant even, brave and brilliant, etc. They are, in my opinion, like crazy demos for FM albums. What, he has like 3, 4, 5 albums in last few years? He's throwing FM style hooks like Tyson, catchy, art-pop. Way better and way more listenable than other survivors--think Dylan, highly praised by barely one good song an album.

So you can imagine how bitter Joni is--and has been for years---she yearns for legacy and relevance, but it never happened. Stevie's the survivor and Lindsey still singing for her at sold out arenas.

So popular are they that the betting for Glastonbury closing show main stage (a big betting item in UK) has been suspended because the odds became so prohibitive. Their tour of UK this summer was that popular. First time in decades the bookmakers suspended betting on main stage headliners at Glastonbury. Relevant? Damn straight. Joni? Not at all. Not for want of talent, but boy, she's been handled badly.

by Anonymousreply 296November 18, 2013 5:03 AM

A harsh appraisal, R296, but very enjoyable. I think Joni still attracts a lot of new listeners, be they young women getting fucked over the for the first time ("Blue") or hip young producers sampling her sound ("Hissing of Summer Lawns"). I can't imagine someone as pleasingly ornery as Joni entering the reptilian thunderdome of American Idol or Blechh Factor, no disrespect to Stevie.

Here's a great recent Lindsey tune:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297November 18, 2013 2:48 PM

Sad someone with so many years of huge fan base, millions of record sales, huge catalogue of songs written by her that Joni seems so bitter and almost unappreciative of the gifts she has received and given to the world.

Is Bob Dylan like this?

by Anonymousreply 298November 19, 2013 1:46 AM

Joni thinks she is an African-American male. I never understood that trip.

by Anonymousreply 299November 19, 2013 2:22 AM

bump for Joni

by Anonymousreply 300November 20, 2013 1:51 AM

I have had Lindsey. fucking. Buckingham.

Top that one, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 301November 20, 2013 2:18 AM

I've got her beat...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302November 20, 2013 4:09 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 303November 21, 2013 2:14 AM

I know this is an old thread, but what a fascinating one.

This era of talent/music was before my time, but I love them and the music produced during this time more than any other.

by Anonymousreply 304December 25, 2013 6:59 AM

R302, there's a difference between quantity and quality.

by Anonymousreply 305December 25, 2013 7:03 AM

hmmm Joni so puts Miley katy and Taylor to shame, i mean, can you imagine Joni twerking to generate some headlines?

by Anonymousreply 306December 30, 2013 1:37 AM

More gossip please!

by Anonymousreply 307May 15, 2014 11:54 PM

As the OP of this thread it makes me soooo happy someone bumped it : )

by Anonymousreply 308May 15, 2014 11:55 PM

I've been meaning to dl Nash's autobio which no doubt has a lot of Joni gossip.

by Anonymousreply 309May 16, 2014 12:01 AM

R309, there is much praise of Joni but very little in the way of gossip. Nash, alas, takes the high road even when it comes to his noted dickhead bandmates Crosby & Stills.

by Anonymousreply 310May 16, 2014 1:46 AM

Joni's vagina should host the next Grammy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 311May 16, 2014 10:41 PM

Bonjour bitches!

by Anonymousreply 312August 11, 2014 3:21 AM

"I was a free vag in Paris..."

by Anonymousreply 313August 11, 2014 1:20 PM

Joni Mitchell, aka John Anderson, was a woman living in a man's body. That's right, she originally had small little dick and two hangy ball thingies. Early on, John Anderson had a series of operations that gave her a womb and big hairy cooter.

"I was a free man in Paris... "

Notice that he never said "I was a free woman in Paris". Proof positive.

Ronstadt had more in her love triangle just because Joni Mitchell wouldn't let a kike cum anywhere near him. David Gefen and Donald Fagan? You've got to be kidding.

by Anonymousreply 314February 17, 2015 10:29 PM

This thread is still far superior to the recent birthday one.

by Anonymousreply 315November 9, 2018 2:10 AM

I love this video Betty Bowers did to the Joni Mitchell song "Tax Free" about Christian charlatans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316November 9, 2018 2:14 AM

R316 Love it!

by Anonymousreply 317November 9, 2018 2:36 AM

Lucky bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318March 21, 2019 7:44 PM

Well now I understand that Grace Slick's album MANHOLE was named after Joni Mitchell's pussy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 21, 2019 8:41 PM

[quote]Her (Joni Mitchell's) songs “Car on a Hill” and “Help Me” are rumored to be about her affair with the Eagles’ Glenn Frey. “A Free Man in Paris” is about David Geffen.

The drool coming out of Joni's mouth...

is about her obsession with smoking until it destroyed her brain.

Trust me, her famous vag has nothing in it but tumbleweeds and old memories now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320March 21, 2019 9:10 PM

Joni Mitchell, and the one whose career she stole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321March 21, 2019 9:55 PM

I have to say, I was happy that she looked good at the Joni 75 concert.

She'll never perform again, but she has some quality of life, and that's good.

by Anonymousreply 322March 22, 2019 2:30 AM

[quote]She'll never perform again, but she has some quality of life, and that's good

Ah, had you heard her sing before the stroke?

by Anonymousreply 323March 22, 2019 2:48 AM

She could lose control of one side of her mouth and 90 percent of her vocal chords and still sound better than that shrieking sow Judy Collins.

by Anonymousreply 324March 22, 2019 8:10 AM

[quote]She could lose control of one side of her mouth and 90 percent of her vocal chords and still sound better than that shrieking sow Judy Collins.

What? I'm not fat.

by Anonymousreply 325March 22, 2019 8:54 AM

Does Joni's pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 326March 22, 2019 9:01 AM

her web site has beyond extensive theories and facts about every and any thing you want answers to...go there...

R326: bet yours is rancid

by Anonymousreply 327March 22, 2019 9:02 AM

[quote]Does Joni's pussy stink?

Does now that I gotta care for Chrissy Metz' big gaping Grand Canyon/Landfill cunt

by Anonymousreply 328March 22, 2019 9:11 AM

It smells like patchouli and smoke R326

by Anonymousreply 329March 22, 2019 9:16 AM

Looking good:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330March 22, 2019 1:11 PM

Out and aboat:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 22, 2019 1:12 PM

Hi ya:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332March 22, 2019 1:14 PM

I love that photo of Joni and David Hackney. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 333March 23, 2019 2:07 AM

Looks like Joni is in a "Coyote" mood again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334March 23, 2019 4:30 AM

Hmmm. How many Nobels for poetry does that hag have again?

Oh. That's right.

by Anonymousreply 335March 23, 2019 6:10 AM

I'm feeling kinda yeasty...

I've gotta remind Joni to yell garbled sounds at that Caregiver

by Anonymousreply 336May 4, 2019 4:54 PM

Always liked the story told by John Lennon’s paramour May Pang in her book. John was in the recording studio and Joni dropped by with Warren Beatty. John said, “Oh look, Joni’s got a trophy!”

by Anonymousreply 337May 4, 2019 5:12 PM

This is a great thread from 2012. Thank you to the poster who revived it.

by Anonymousreply 338May 5, 2019 6:37 AM

Herself didn't look all that great in that recent "Joni 75" special on PBS. Still needed assistance walking and standing, although she WAS able to mouth the chorus to loverboy Graham Nash's "Our House."

by Anonymousreply 339May 5, 2019 9:18 AM

Nash has for the past few years been with a young gal who looks exactly like young Joni.

by Anonymousreply 340May 5, 2019 4:06 PM

What happened with Joni's bout with Morgellon's Disease, where red and blue fibres supposedly sprout from your skin?

by Anonymousreply 341May 5, 2019 4:10 PM

Lmfao!

by Anonymousreply 342August 4, 2020 11:59 PM

That was one hell of a rabbit hole. Thanks OP, wherever you are!

by Anonymousreply 343August 5, 2020 2:44 AM

Agree r343. Followed right behind you—great links, great posts, great photos. She was a genius lyricist, and an innovative and bold musician.

Jesus, the contrast between young Joni singing and playing at Gordon Lightfood's house, in all her strength and youth—and how Joni looks now at r332.

Aging is a monster beast.

by Anonymousreply 344August 5, 2020 4:57 AM

It really, REALLY fucking is, r344

That said, now with this cunt Rona on the scene, I'm scared my already rapidly shortening time on this earth is going to be shorter than I used to imagine. I'm at the point of tossing vanity out the window in some magical thinking agreement just to have a normal (OK, a slightly longer than normal if I can have a wish) lifespan. I turned 53 in July and dear god it was depressing. All of this stress has me looking and feeling 73. The way things are going, I'm scared I won't make it that far in actuality.

Sorry. 4th nightcap (OK, FINE, 6th!). Forgive my ramblings and for bringing the room down. Back to Joni's vagina.

by Anonymousreply 345August 5, 2020 5:35 AM

R345 I am 43 and I feel EXACTLY as you do.

R344- It is a monster beast

And I read through this thread last night and I am so grateful to whoever bumped it. The responses were anywhere from really thoughtful and filled with great Joni lore and some were ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS. I loved Joni's vagina.

by Anonymousreply 346August 6, 2020 1:04 AM

I'm still here! I cherish the responses on this thread....

by Anonymousreply 347August 23, 2020 6:04 PM

Please, even an ugly gay man probably has had more sex than she does. Weird that some gay cruise grindr, bathrooms, and adult bookstores for anonymous partners but call women sluts

by Anonymousreply 348August 23, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote]Did Joni like the brothas?

Only when she was in blackface masturbating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349August 23, 2020 7:00 PM

Blocking those last two ugly comments......

by Anonymousreply 350August 23, 2020 7:13 PM

R350 was triggered!

by Anonymousreply 351August 23, 2020 7:24 PM

Are Canadians allowed blackface? Do they have a pass?

I feel like white Canadians might be allowed a bit of blackface here and there, whereas for white Americans it’s just completely out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 352September 8, 2020 3:18 PM

Friendship forever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353April 13, 2021 8:29 AM

OMG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354April 23, 2021 12:34 PM

^ Who’s that older gentleman in front? He looks familiar

by Anonymousreply 355April 23, 2021 12:39 PM

Horrible mother. Basically abandoned her kid to go play guitar in bars.

by Anonymousreply 356April 23, 2021 1:18 PM

R356 Thank God she did. We have enough brats coddled by boring mothers in this world, but not enough artists.

by Anonymousreply 357April 23, 2021 2:49 PM

R354 Harry Styles sounds really bad in that clip.

But it is hilarious that he is standing there will a guitar. It's like Madonna or Janet Jackson standing there with a mic.

by Anonymousreply 358April 23, 2021 2:52 PM

"Am I outside????"

by Anonymousreply 359April 24, 2021 3:47 AM

Pave paradise put up a parking light!

by Anonymousreply 360April 24, 2021 3:57 AM

[quote] Basically abandoned her kid to go play guitar in bars.

She let the kid LIVE??!!??

That's certainly a novel approach.

by Anonymousreply 361March 10, 2022 1:47 AM

R97, I put together a mix tape on one side of a 90-min cassette tape. I used to play it in my car all the time. I wish I could remember the song sequence, because it worked really well.

I know it opened with the studio version of Cold Blue Steel and that was followed by You Turn Me On from Miles of Aisles. Sheeit... the rest is a blur.

by Anonymousreply 362March 10, 2022 2:19 AM

James Taylor & the late Jaco Pastorius were hot.

by Anonymousreply 363March 10, 2022 8:32 AM

Joni is a great songwriter, but I cannot imagine many straight men finding her sexy.

Joni had zero sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 364March 10, 2022 10:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!