Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Portlandia

Anyone watching?

I love the women's bookstore owners!

by Anonymousreply 50January 4, 2018 3:18 AM

The first episode was okay. Not a classic, but some funny bits.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2012 9:35 PM

The dream of the 90s is alive in Portland!

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2012 9:37 PM

I watched the first season, even though I found the show quite annoying. Are Portlanders really narrow enough to think the city is the only place in the country with a pretentious overemphasis on locavore dining and overly proud of its live music scene? Seattle, Brooklyn and even Austin can claim both.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2012 9:41 PM

I watched it for the first time last week and thought it had some funny moments. The bit where Fred Armisen and that woman he hangs with went to a restaurant in L.A. and got into an insane back and forth with a waiter about their menu was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2012 9:50 PM

[quote]Seattle, Brooklyn and even Austin can claim both.

Don't forget Athens, GA!

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2012 9:53 PM

I thought the first season was very good overall. Also love the women bookstore owners.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2012 9:55 PM

Put a bird on it!

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2012 10:19 PM

I can never decide of I like this.

At times, brilliant, very funny. Other times, so consciously aware of itself and just lame.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2012 10:24 PM

Skits suffer from the SNL syndrome.

They always last just a little too long to be truly funny.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2012 10:27 PM

R3: Have you been to Portland? They take it to the next level.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2012 10:32 PM

Yes, R10, I've been there many times. I found it most amusing that they decided to satirize the Ace Hotel (rechristened as the Deuce), considering it's a mini-chain that originally started in Seattle (and the NYC outpost leapfrogs over both in terms of taking it to another level - it's like the entire neighborhood of Williamsburg uses it as its massive communal living room). Austin doesn't have an Ace, but it has the Hotel San Jose, where one can find similarly precious vinyl albums and old-school typewriters.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2012 10:54 PM

I hate Fred Armisen. So fucking unfunny and so ugly he's hard to look at.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2012 11:30 PM

Agree r12,Fred Armisen is too fugly. They should have picked a different lead.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2012 11:47 PM

[quote] Fred Armisen is too fugly. They should have picked a different lead.

It's his show.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2012 3:37 AM

[quote]Are Portlanders really narrow enough to think the city is the only place in the country with a pretentious overemphasis on locavore dining and overly proud of its live music scene?

No.

If the show were funnier, we wouldn't care how annoying it is. But it's not very funny. (It definitely does have the SNL defect of wringing one joke dry for much too long.)

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2012 4:02 AM

People of a third tier town with nothing else to offer except Portlandia

by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2012 2:45 PM

Honestly, Portland is just the setting. The humor is about satirizing different groups of self-important people. (For example, the kind of useless turds who think that looks somehow equal talent.) I like it, and am particularly impressed by how committed a minor-legend guitarist like Carrie is to doing comedy. This show has also made me like and appreciate Fred Armisen (another professional musician turned comedian) way more than anything I've ever seen him do on SNL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2012 3:03 PM

Aside from 30 Rock and SNL, it is the greatest show on television now.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2012 3:11 PM

We can pickle that.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2012 6:59 PM

Are Portlanders really narrow enough to think the city is the only place in the country with a pretentious overemphasis on locavore dining and overly proud of its live music scene? Seattle, Brooklyn and even Austin can claim both.

It's not something that came out of Portland, really.

Of the two co-creators, Fred Armisen is from Mississippi and lives in Manhattan; Carrie Brownstein lives in Portland now, but she spent her childhood and much of her adult life in the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia area, which is hours away.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2012 7:05 PM

Awwww, what's with the Fred hate? He's sweet.

I haven't seen it, but heard the Chicken/Menu bit on NPR. I live near Ithaca and it's pretty spot-on for this type of person. They're all over the place here.

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2012 7:11 PM

J'adore Fred Armisen for his Prince impersonation alone.

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2012 7:27 PM

R17 is correct. People like R3 don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2012 7:28 PM

Born in Mississippi, moved to Long Island as a baby, raised there. That doesn't count as being from Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2012 7:35 PM

I think it's pretty funny although I would agree there are some real misses. The best scenes this season for me have been with the guy who played the cell phone salesman and then the waiter in SoCal.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2012 7:57 PM

It's over!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2012 8:01 PM

It's too bad that the character/impression Armisen is best-known for sucks on every possible level because I think he's pretty weird and funny otherwise. I always forget he was married to Sally Timms before he was on TV; if not for that I would assume that he was the world's most obvious desperate nutjob closet case

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2012 8:16 PM

Fred's not a closet case. He's fucking madly in love with Carrie.

That became obvious after reading the New Yorker piece on season two.

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2012 8:32 PM

[quote]Born in Mississippi, moved to Long Island as a baby, raised there. That doesn't count as being from Mississippi.

Of course it does.

What a bizarre assertion.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2012 10:02 PM

Funny!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 15, 2012 7:42 PM

Alas Carrie make les les, R28.

by Anonymousreply 31January 15, 2012 8:20 PM

I loved that Battlestar Galactica bit.

by Anonymousreply 32January 15, 2012 8:34 PM

I finally saw a clip that made me laugh out loud: season 2's "helicopter parents."

by Anonymousreply 33January 15, 2012 9:33 PM

I have so many mixed feelings about Portlandia. I like what they're trying to do, I do. Not everything has to be same and catered to a broad audience.

My reaction to the shows is all the fuck over the place. I genuinely find it laugh out loud funny at times, other times a smile and giggle after the fact as the sketch unfolds. But, also other times where I roll my eyes and think it's just not funny, and sometimes annoying to the point of wanting to change the channel.

by Anonymousreply 34January 29, 2013 11:22 PM

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2013 7:58 PM

Maybe Fred does have a thing for her, but it's definitely unrequited because Carrie Brownstein is dating Annie Clark from St. Vincent.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2013 8:08 PM

We're in the tapas ghetto down here.

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2013 8:11 PM

I worked with Fred recently and told him that I liked Portlandia. His response: You do?

Uncomfortable silence.

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2013 9:04 PM

I like the mayor and his printer named "Prints."

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2013 9:12 PM

I like Carrie's new American Express ads. Super hip and edgy!

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2013 9:21 PM

It has its moments. I don't think there's any sketch comedy show that isn't hit-and-miss. The Battlestar Galactica skit was the best thing they ever did though.

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2013 9:32 PM

I liked the 'fart patio' skit.

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2013 9:42 PM

[quote]Maybe Fred does have a thing for her, but it's definitely unrequited because Carrie Brownstein is dating Annie Clark from St. Vincent.

Fred TOTALLY has a thing for her. It's not a secret.

It's also not a secret that Carrie is a lesbian. She's been open about her sexuality since Sleater-Kinney began in the mid 90s.

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2013 9:47 PM

She's says she's bi, but she seems to only date women.

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2013 10:19 PM

This season has not been funny and everything seems tired. Now that both Fred and Carrie are busy with their music, they seem to be phoning it in.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2015 2:42 AM

Season 7 starts tonight.

by Anonymousreply 46January 6, 2017 2:04 AM

Trailer for its eighth and final season, which premieres on January 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 4, 2018 1:48 AM

Ugh, 7 seasons too many

by Anonymousreply 48January 4, 2018 1:49 AM

The bookstore owners are the best thing on it.

by Anonymousreply 49January 4, 2018 1:57 AM

Making fun of lesbians for being socially awkward and uptight is SO hilarious in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 50January 4, 2018 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!