Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has drinking tea ever made you sick?

I had a couple of odd experiences this past week when I drank tea (PG Tipps) in the morning. Last Wednesday, I brewed a cup and rignt after drinking it a nausea welled up in my stomach. It happened so quickly that I still had the cup in my hand when I threw up. I thought that I might have made it too stout or drank it too fast. This morning I had another cup (first one since) and was careful not to let the bag steep too much and drank it slowly. I had the same reaction. From beginning to end it was less than two minutes.

I normally don't drink much caffeine, but beyond getting a bit agitated, I've never had reactions to it even when I drank coffee on a regular basis. I've had the box for about seven or eight months and it's about half full. Strange...

by Anonymousreply 165May 27, 2019 9:17 PM

Is the tea old? It could contain a mold that would quickly sicken.

by Anonymousreply 1December 27, 2011 4:52 PM

Yes. Once, I made a tea with rose hips in it, and I threw up within minutes. I've been reluctant to drink tea ever since.

by Anonymousreply 2December 27, 2011 4:55 PM

It used to when I was younger, but now in my forties it doesn't. I recommend starting with herbal tea without caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 3December 27, 2011 5:02 PM

Every once in a while if I drink tea with sugar on an empty stomach it comes right back up. I would absolutely say - don't try to drink that particular box of tea again.

by Anonymousreply 4December 27, 2011 5:07 PM

Someone close to you poisoned it, OP ... throw it away and buy some new tea.

by Anonymousreply 5December 27, 2011 5:14 PM

OP, have you just started taking any medication or supplements. That might have triggered the reaction with the tea.

Regardless, I'd get rid of that tea.

by Anonymousreply 6December 27, 2011 6:47 PM

Too much caffeine will make you nauseous in a headache kind of way, not a stomach ache kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 7December 27, 2011 6:54 PM

I heard that drinking black tea on an empty stomach can mess up your blood sugar. Once I had some Earl Grey tea on an empty stomach and had a strange reaction. I felt very queasy and numb. Try to google it for more info.

by Anonymousreply 8December 27, 2011 7:01 PM

I'm a tea addict and the only times I ever had a similar reaction to you was drinking black tea on an empty stomach--paired with a cigarette. Made me ralph.

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2011 7:06 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I don't think it's the age of the tea. I bought it in the spring though I don't know how long Cost Plus had it around. Expiration isn't 'til next fall and I've already used half.

As dumb as this may sound, it never occurred to me that drinking it on an empty stomach could cause the reaction, but it was the case both times. I've always had coffee and tea on an empty stomach without effect. Until now.

Sigh. Yet another blip on the road to elderdom.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2011 7:19 PM

If it's any consolation to you, dear elder OP, my cig/tea/ralph misfortunes occurred in my early 20's.

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2011 7:24 PM

PG Tips, eek how commmon. That is old tea, that probably has mould or just gone off. Mice like tea, check for droppings.

Buy fresh leaf tea and keep it in a caddy ... you chav Yank, you deserve to get poisoned

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2011 7:26 PM

FYI, good quality (unflavored!!) japanese green teas can be enjoyed on an empty stomach--and can even be beneficial during bouts of food poisoning or stomach flu.

by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2011 7:27 PM

Anyone vulgar enough to talk about "stout" rather than strong tea probably licked her fingers after eating a biscuit without washing her hands at an appropriate time in her preparations for the day.

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2011 7:34 PM

Your reaction is typical of tea that has molded. Kept in a warm moist kitchen in a cardboard box this it not atypical.

by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2011 7:36 PM

Incidentally, I did toss the box.

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2011 8:03 PM

OP

I do not know if this will help but I keep all my tea in the freezer. Where I live the humidity lends itself to that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2011 8:10 PM

I am another one who has a problem with black tea. It makes me dizzy.

by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2011 8:24 PM

OP had you eaten? I often get nauseous drinking tea on an empty stomach. Coffee doesn't do it though.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2011 8:30 PM

You all are a bunch of silly sissies!

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2011 8:31 PM

[quote]Incidentally, I did toss the box.

You're not supposed to eat the box.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2011 8:37 PM

Tannins. If I drink tea on an empty stomach, I get nauseated.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2011 9:21 PM

Shut up, Rosemary, and keep drinking. It's good for you.

by Anonymousreply 23December 28, 2011 12:28 AM

Tea gives me diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 24December 28, 2011 2:44 AM

PG Tips is kind of disgusting tea, OP. As far as British tea goes, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 25December 28, 2011 5:13 AM

Pennyroyal Tea distills the life that is inside of me.

by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2011 5:17 AM

If you buy a new box, and it does the same thing, it's acid reflux.

by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2011 5:18 AM

I agree with r22. The tannins in the tea can upset your stomach. It does mine.

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2011 10:59 AM

Perhaps you're unnecessarily blaming the tea for what was going to be an upset stomach no matter what hit it.

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2011 11:40 AM

I've also gotten nauseated from drinking black tea on an empty stomach, and also think it's the tannins. It doesn't seem to happen when I add cream, which I guess acts as a buffer.

by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2011 11:45 AM

Always drink strong black (English) tea with milk, OP. Try using Tetley's British Blend instead. It's still quite strong, but less so than PG Tips. Also, make sure there's no soap residue in your mug. Sometimes the culprit is taking something out of the dishwasher that needs an extra rinse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 28, 2011 12:34 PM

Tetley bleach! If you want real tea drink Lions.

by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2011 12:54 PM

it happened to me at a chinese restaurant. i thought it was the hot and sour soup. i threw up instantly in the restaurant. worst nausea ever.

by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2011 2:14 PM

"Once I had some Earl Grey tea on an empty stomach and had a strange reaction. I felt very queasy and numb"

That once happened to me - mind you, I drink my Earl Grey so black it stains the cup...

by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2011 2:31 PM

R13, anybody who drinks Japanese green tea, or any Japanese tea, after it was found that it was over the radiation limit of 500 becquerels/kg, and released for sale anyway, needs their head examined.

Most Japanese green tea is grown relatively near Fukushima prefecture, in a contaminated zone. The governor from that prefecture, famed for its tea, fought tooth and nail not to have the tea tested, then when it was and it failed the test, he made a lot of snide remarks about "harmful rumors" and kept shipping at least some of it. The last I heard, recalls are voluntary and not everyone is observing them. It's almost certainly on the market now. Buy from some other country.

OP, throw that tea out. It probably got damp and grew mold. In future, keep your tea in a metal tin, glass or plastic container or sealed ziplock bag, away from moisture. A dark container is better, or keep the container in a dark cupboard. Don't store it above the stove or sink. When you spoon out tea, make sure the spoon you use is completely dry, not one just out of the dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2011 4:05 PM

Very interesting information about Japanese tea on the market now. Thanks for the information, R35.

So PG Tips is the tea for the Chav set? I thought it was just run of the mill tea.

by Anonymousreply 36December 28, 2011 5:08 PM

Did anyone say...throw that tea away and don't buy it again?

Are you pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 37December 28, 2011 5:14 PM

Yes, my body does not like cardamom. I drank some Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea and was immediately projectile vomiting. I cannot drink Chai either.

by Anonymousreply 38December 28, 2011 5:15 PM

OP, it may have nothing to do with the tea. It may be the detergent residue in the kettle or cup. This happened to me at a friend of mine's house. She never rinse her dishes well.

by Anonymousreply 39December 28, 2011 5:20 PM

Is green tea only grown in Japan? I love it, but the information about radiation exposure is troubling.

by Anonymousreply 40December 28, 2011 5:21 PM

I have felt this way after drinking black tea but it was very strong black tea. I put double the amount of leaves into just one cup and steeped it for 5 mins.

by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2011 5:28 PM

R35 Thanks for the warning I enjoy sencha but I will not buy any if it's full of radiation.

by Anonymousreply 42December 28, 2011 5:30 PM

I drink Tazo tea for breakfast and haven't had any reactions, but I can't drink coffee on an empty stomach w/o becoming sick almost immediately. Hopefully it was just something in that box OP and you won't have any more problems.

by Anonymousreply 43December 28, 2011 5:36 PM

People drinking tea have made me sick.

And there was a fiasco in a Chinese restaurant, where the waiter spilled my tea. I demanded a free tea set, but those cheap louses wouldn't give me one.

by Anonymousreply 44December 28, 2011 6:02 PM

R34- What kind of Earl Grey do you get? I've only encountered mild EG's.

Like like my teas strong- I like getting the tea sweats.

by Anonymousreply 45December 28, 2011 6:06 PM

According to this ad, Bigelow green tea is grown in South Carolina. I've also heard tea blends should be avoided, as the tea can come from anywhere, which means some of it is probably from Japan.

If you think that's troubling, R40, tea grown in Japan is a source of great pride for the region. As the new tea leaves for the year are picked, there are many public ceremonies of schoolchildren going on field trips to pick tea leaves from the trees and drinking the tea at the farms, as well as public ceremonies in other locations with children drinking the tea. Those ceremonies went on this year even though it was known the tea was unsafe. One commenter in a Japanese paper said something to the effect that the kids were just going to have to "sacrifice" to do this, as it was Japanese tradition, and it was more important for them to learn to be be "Japanese" than be protected from radiation, and outsiders "wouldn't understand." Really.

If you're concerned about Japanese food, stay away from rice too, some was shipped over the limit. Rice is grown in America and many other places. Generally speaking, observance of the radiation standards is voluntary, a lot of contaminated foodstuffs are being shipped abroad.

Japanese citizens are complaining that food labels in the Japanese marketplace are misleading, Fukushima prefecture food is mixed up with foods from other prefectures with an identical looking label, place of origination is printed very small or in hard to read ornate writing. The government is allowing manufacturers to mix food over the limit with the same type of food not over the limit, to lower the total becquerel count to sell it. Radiation is cumulative, you're better off just avoiding it as much as you can. Many of the foods we eat in the US have no markings showing the point of origination, they say "packaged in..." or "distributed by" with an American location. No way of knowing where it's from in many cases. You can probably find out something on the company web site though.

I'm now wondering if OP is having acid reflux as some posters mentioned, I had it until my gall bladder was removed. Try decaf mint tea, OP, and see if that bothers you. If orange juice or tomato sauce bother you, that could be it. And check the point of origin when you buy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 28, 2011 7:06 PM

There were a whole series of articles about contaminated teas on ex-skf.blogspot and other sites. Here is one that tells part of the story. If I can find more I'll post it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 28, 2011 7:16 PM

Jesus, what s bunch of delicate flowers.

by Anonymousreply 48December 28, 2011 7:16 PM

From ex-skf, December 13:

The US peacetime limit for radioactive cesium in water and drinks is 3.0 picocuries, or 0.1 becquerel/liter. The same for food is 170 becquerels/kg.

The US FDA has the Derived Intervension Level (DIL) which is 1200 becquerels/kg, and the level of concern at 370 becquerels/kg to govern the domestic food in interstate commerce and the imported food as a non-enforceable "recommendation".

Scanning the official webpage of Shizuoka Prefecture where the results of tea testing are published, you'll notice that testing seems to have been one bag at one tea plantation in one city. We know how well the similar testing of rice in Fukushima Prefecture has turned out to be.

•Number of teas that tested with radioactive cesium: all of 102 samples tested

•Number of teas that tested between 100 and 370 becquerels/kg): 46

•Number of teas that tested above the "level of concern"(370 becquerels/kg) in the US: 21

Tuesday, October 18, 2011: Radioactive Tea from TOKYO: 3 Exceeding Provisional Safety Limit for Cesium

550 to 690 becquerels/kg of radioactive cesium detected in the commercial teas grown in 3 tea plantations in Tokyo. The Tokyo Metropolitan government tested 30 teas in early October, and radioactive cesium was detected from 29 of them.

Back in May, three elementary school in Itabashi-ku, Tokyo had the pupils pick radioactive tea leaves (2,700 becquerels/kg of radioactive cesium) as part of their social studies activities. But that wasn't, apparently, a big deal since it was not a commercial product.

October 19:

Of 1,081 brands,

•97 (or 9% of total) were found with radioactive cesium exceeding the provisional safety limit, as much as 2,063 becquerels/kg;

•912 (or 84% of total) were found with radioactive cesium below the provisional safety limit, but as much as 490 becquerels/kg. (I'm counting the number of the brands again to make sure, but I don't think I'm far off.)

They have already sold most of the teas that exceeded the provisional safety limit for cesium.

October 11: A tea plantation in Shizuoka proudly displays the certificate that says the tea from the plantation contains 175 becquerels/kg of radioactive cesium, as the proof of safety.

October 2, from Tokyo Shinbun: According to our research, we have been able to confirm instances of goods being sold after diluting the radioactive cesium content - garden soil and green teas...It has been a standard practice to mix milk from different locations. The same goes for rice...There is no requirement to show the name of prefecture where the product is made...However, for now, we can only count on the voluntary effort by the industries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 28, 2011 7:30 PM

I just drank some tea on an empty stomach and it made me so nauseous I vomited. It was Tetley tea. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 50January 1, 2012 6:30 PM

NEVER drink on an empty stomach! Or eat on an empty stomach. There are plenty of other fun things to do on an empty stomach, assuming that it isn't your stomach.

by Anonymousreply 51January 1, 2012 9:20 PM

why not?

by Anonymousreply 52February 1, 2012 3:58 AM

Did you drink it plain? Drinking any type of tea plain on an empty stomach will definitely make you sick. Try putting cream in it?

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2012 6:19 AM

Honey if your tea is making you sick, it's cause the 'mo you're shacked up with, took out a life insurance policy on you and put arsenic in it.

by Anonymousreply 54May 8, 2012 8:08 AM

Cold iced tea makes me sick if I drink it in the mornings or when I first wake up. There's something about cold beverages that don't agree with my stomach first thing in the morning. Any other time I'm fine though.

by Anonymousreply 55May 8, 2012 8:36 AM

Why are you giving advice to something that happened 6 months ago?

OP doesn't care anymore. Good God, can DL really be that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 56May 8, 2012 8:47 AM

This is an interesting thread and has me wondering about the mould etc. I drink a lot of tea (I'm British) but every time I have tea at a particular friend's house, I feel nauseous, although I never actually throw up. He uses a fairly premium brand (Twinings), but does keep his tea in the cardboard box in the kitchen, and the room behind the kitchen has problems with damp. Interesting. I never have this problem drinking tea at home (loose leaf from F&M in case you need to know) or at work (builder's bum).

by Anonymousreply 57May 8, 2012 8:50 AM

If i drink black tea on an empty stomach i also feel very nauseous! if i get some food down me (e.g. toast) quickly enough then i wont be sick. Having tea with milk on an empty stomach however, doesnt seem to make me feel sick!

by Anonymousreply 58May 18, 2012 8:16 AM

Yes OP. I cannot drink tea on an empty stomach as it makes me very nauseous. I have no problem with coffee but tea kills me.

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2012 1:35 PM

Hi I would often feel nauseus after drinking tea (but starangely, not coffee). I switched to decaffeinated tea and I never have the problem since. Although its strange that coffee doesn't have the same affect, I am still convinced it was the caffeine in the tea that made me sick. Please try decaff tea, i'm addicted now!!

by Anonymousreply 60July 27, 2012 3:59 PM

I've never puked, but sometimes when I drink my green tea in the morning on an empty stomach I get very queasy, but then it passes. And I have been drinking green tea every morning for at least ten years.

I think when I drink it really fast, it exacerbates the queasyness, but if I drink it slowly, sipping it, then not so much.

This also used to happen to me many years ago when I took my vitamins in the morning on an empty stomach. Now I take them after luynch and there are no ill effects at all.

by Anonymousreply 61July 27, 2012 4:03 PM

PG Tipps is an utterly vile tea, OP. Seriously, one of the worst tasting teas I've ever tried. Plus, as a previous poster noted, always drink strong British tea with milk, never black.

by Anonymousreply 62July 27, 2012 4:38 PM

I drink different black tea brands... always with milk. As a Brit, I love my tea but have different ones depending on where I am! Tetley, twinings, pg tips, own brand.. it doesn't matter, but it makes me feel sick funnily enough when it's going/gone cold and I take swig without realising. The nausea lasts for ages, it's totally weird. Full stomach or not. Has this happened to anyone else? I know accidental drinking of cold tea is vile, but I am interested if this whole hot/cold tea has made a difference to anyone else. I don't drink iced tea btw.

by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2012 2:41 PM

It happens to me everytime I drink tea on an empty stomach. I have to have something, even a biscuit will stop it. Drinking coffee on an empty stomach is fine. I've put it down to low sugar levels. If it happens I just go get something sweet and it stops, even a handful of grapes will do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2012 8:11 AM

Keep testing the rest of the tea bags in the box

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2012 8:19 AM

After a lifetime of black tea drinking I do not drink it any more as I feel so rough and faint and sickly (I used to drink it nearly black). If had with food it is ok but I have given it up completely now and always have green tea which is fine. I drink very very strong coffee and that is fine too. This gradually came on about 5 yrs ago when I was 55yrs old. I am afraid I have no answers its just a fact that I cannot drink black tea any more.

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2012 9:28 AM

Tea on an empty stomach - green or black - can definitely make you nauseous. It's common, especially in the morning, and I (and some of my tea-drinking friends) have definitely experienced it. It's not the age or quality of the tea. Eat at least something small beforehand or with your tea(I often take a few walnut halves if I'm drinking tea on an otherwise empty stomach, walnuts are great at suppressing stomach upset). It might also help to brew a weaker cup.

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2012 10:13 AM

I always have whole grain toast with my tea or coffee, as I have a delicate stomach. If I were OP I would have tried that first before throwing out the tea.

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2012 10:27 AM

Proteins in milk bind with tannins in the tea. Agee that milk with strong English tea is a good idea.

I've been drinking gunpowder green tea in the morning....never thought about the Japanese connection with radiation. Thank DL.

by Anonymousreply 69September 30, 2012 12:02 PM

Milk and tea makes me want to vomit. I don't how the Brits can stand it.

by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2012 8:00 PM

Your tea is different to ours. Even Starbucks English breakfast tea doesn't really compare to the good stuff. Two sugars and a drop of milk is the way forward!

by Anonymousreply 71January 29, 2013 9:54 PM

R70 -- I feel the same way, but it was explained to me that in England tea is served much stronger than in the States; I can't stand "chai" either - yuk! The only time I ever willingly drank tea in the morning though was at a hotel in Istanbul where the coffee served at the included breakfast buffet was truly vile.

by Anonymousreply 72January 29, 2013 11:40 PM

I know this is not the thread for it, but I just wanted to say I hate Canada.

by Anonymousreply 73January 29, 2013 11:47 PM

Hah! I started this thread over a year ago and was surprised to see it back up again. Interesting that so many people have the reaction to black tea on an empty stomach. I think it does come down to the tannins. I had a similar reaction recently (without throwing up) when I drank some red wine, which is supposed to contain tannins to varying degrees. I'd drunk less than half a glass with dinner when the reaction started so I just stopped the wine. The nausea took about 10 min. to go away. I'm sure the food helped. Interesting what R69 says about protein binding with tannins.

by Anonymousreply 74January 29, 2013 11:52 PM

Tea has a tendency to set off my gallbladder; coffee doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 75January 29, 2013 11:55 PM

recently found out that ice tea GREEN makes me puke about 100% of the times after i drink it. i can drink tea perfectly fine by the way but there's some component thats naturally in tea thats higher in green ice tea for sure. my stomach confirmed it. im quite certain i could find some spices to mix the green tea with / dilute it so i wont puke (with lemon + water + sugar for example)

by Anonymousreply 76February 8, 2013 12:13 PM

For whatever reason, two out of three times this has happened to me have been at Chinese restaurants. The tea made me sick on my stomach to the point of vomiting.

by Anonymousreply 77June 6, 2013 2:08 PM

Avoid Celestial Seasonings. They are another company with anti-gay policies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 6, 2013 2:16 PM

Crap, I am so bummed to hear that r78. I drink their peppermint tea all day long. Shit, shit, shit.

by Anonymousreply 79June 6, 2013 2:25 PM

If I drink tea on an empty stomach it will bother my stomach, esp. if the tea is without milk or sugar.

by Anonymousreply 80June 6, 2013 2:41 PM

Too much tea causes unusual bone disease:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2013 2:43 PM

According to this, Celestial Seasonings has a HRC score of 90.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 6, 2013 2:49 PM

I did not read all of the answers. I am an avid tea drinker, never black, green, white and oolong are my choice. I drink 10 or more cups a day. Occasionally I will still get an instant nausea followed by vomiting. I never vomit more than a small amount. Caffeine can make you nauseous but unlikely the reason in this case.

HERE IS THE REASON...........Tannic acid in tea. A bite of bland food helps avoid this. Hence tea and crumpets, tea and whatever.

by Anonymousreply 83June 6, 2013 2:59 PM

Yes. It makes me slightly nauseated.

by Anonymousreply 84June 6, 2013 3:05 PM

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 85June 6, 2013 3:27 PM

Never. But drinking coffee almost always gives me stomachache.

by Anonymousreply 86June 6, 2013 3:36 PM

Don't drink it on an empty stomach.

by Anonymousreply 87June 11, 2013 9:38 PM

Teabag,you in danger gurrl!

by Anonymousreply 88June 13, 2013 6:28 PM

r83, did you read the post at r81? 10 cups a day? That's way too much. You could have a bone disease and not even know it.

by Anonymousreply 89June 29, 2013 11:20 AM

I *heart* R23.

by Anonymousreply 90June 29, 2013 11:25 AM

This is very surprising to me. I've never had this kind of reaction. Ever since I was a child tea was the first thing I had after a long bout of vomiting because it was easy on my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 91June 29, 2013 11:57 AM

Chamomile tea makes me puke.

by Anonymousreply 92June 29, 2013 11:57 AM

I still think it's better to drink tea than to drink pee

by Anonymousreply 93June 29, 2013 12:20 PM

If I drink tea without food in my stomach it always makes me feel sick. Other than that, tea has been fine.

by Anonymousreply 94June 29, 2013 12:24 PM

the two times I got sick were in Chinese restaurants

by Anonymousreply 95June 29, 2013 3:05 PM

No never.

by Anonymousreply 96June 29, 2013 3:09 PM

Never, and I drink iced tea all day long, including first thing in the morning, sometimes hours before I eat. I've never even heard of getting stomach problems from it.

by Anonymousreply 97June 29, 2013 3:20 PM

Don't order it at restaurants unless they bring the tea bag out with the order for you to steep.

by Anonymousreply 98September 30, 2013 11:31 PM

Did you use Stevia? You are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 99September 30, 2013 11:36 PM

Soy causes me to sweat.

by Anonymousreply 100September 30, 2013 11:38 PM

R89, 10 cups a day is not too much. This woman used 100 tea bags a day for 17 years.

by Anonymousreply 101September 30, 2013 11:44 PM

' ... made it too stout ...' Lord Mary!!!

by Anonymousreply 102September 30, 2013 11:47 PM

I drink at least 10 cups of tea each day. Green, white and oolong, never black tea.

Now and again I will get nauseous and heave while drinking a cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 103September 30, 2013 11:50 PM

The only time I could stand drinking tea before noon was at a hotel in Istanbul, where the "coffee" served at their (included) buffet breakfast was vile enough to drive me to that in desperation.

by Anonymousreply 104September 30, 2013 11:53 PM

Long time tea drinker, hot and iced. Don't drink black coffee in the morning (or ever, mostly), because it makes me sick to my stomach even when I've eaten something.

I drink organic black tea that I buy in bulk. No bags. I've never been sick from tea. In the evening I drink mango green tea, also organic. I even have a tea kettle in my office at work and use a French press, because all we have is is coffee or a Keurig with really bad tea.

by Anonymousreply 105October 1, 2013 12:18 AM

I thought one can make ones own little Keurig pods at home?

by Anonymousreply 106October 1, 2013 12:21 AM

I've had the same experience with PG Tips. It's happened to me several times. It's weird because my husband and I have been drinking the brand for years. I can also handle caffein like a champ. It's definitely not expired and my husband hasn't had the same reaction. I've switched to Barry's and it tastes better in my opinion and I never get sick from it even on an empty stomach.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2014 6:07 PM

It's probably just the cyanide or the arsenic.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2014 6:11 PM

how long can tea remain good after sitting?

by Anonymousreply 109September 23, 2014 3:28 PM

by Anonymousreply 110October 2, 2014 3:28 AM

Hi. I normally drink several cups of Tetleys a day with no problems. As I could not find them in our local supermarket, I bought PG teabags. Both cups I drank black made me feel so sick I had to throw what was left in the cup away. I actually felt like I had been poisoned. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 111December 10, 2014 3:52 PM

Nausea and vomiting after a about 1/2 cup black tea then a cigarette. That only happens in the morning. I'm curious if it has something to do with gastric PH in the morning. Coffee in the morning on an empty stomach has never caused me this trouble.

by Anonymousreply 112January 5, 2015 9:28 AM

Milk in tea is gross. Lemon for me.

by Anonymousreply 113January 5, 2015 11:37 AM

Lemon or sugar?

by Anonymousreply 114January 5, 2015 11:42 AM

R112 I am with you, it happened to me a couple times, nausea and (almost) vomit, yes it's empty stomach and in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 115January 5, 2015 11:53 AM

This is weird because I just posted in another thread (about Domino sugar and Lipton tea) that Lipton tea always makes me nauseous and the reaction is instantaneous. So does PG tips. I'm allergic to cloves and I've wondered if they might be added to those brands as a flavoring agent.

by Anonymousreply 116January 5, 2015 12:12 PM

You're in trouble, gurls!

by Anonymousreply 117January 5, 2015 12:15 PM

My husband drinks tea all day long but he cannot drink Earl Grey tea. It makes him nauseous. I think it has something to do with dried, processed citrus.

by Anonymousreply 118January 5, 2015 12:47 PM

That does sound odd. As a Brit I drink several cups of tea a day and have never felt sick from it. I'd suggest it's the water.

by Anonymousreply 119January 5, 2015 12:52 PM

Or maybe the milk's gone off.

by Anonymousreply 120January 5, 2015 12:52 PM

Bergamot, R118. That's what smells in Earl Grey. It doesn't make me sick, but I don't want to drink it.

by Anonymousreply 121January 5, 2015 12:53 PM

R119, if the problem is the water, then all tea would make me nauseous. I never drink milk in tea and never drink dairy milk, so that's not an issue.

by Anonymousreply 122January 5, 2015 12:55 PM

I am Irish American and I must have tea with milk first thing in the morning. Do not talk to me if I've not had my tea. Do not look at me. Go fuck yourself if you make me do fasting blood work. I take tea with me in a thermos.

I let it steep for at least 10 minutes before putting milk in it. I leave the tea bag in the cup. It only comes out of the cup when I'm finished with the tea.

I bleach my teacups regularly.

by Anonymousreply 123January 5, 2015 12:58 PM

I use Barkeepers Friend on my teacups when they need it, R123. I let the tea bag steep for three minutes. Any longer than that is bitter. No milk. No lemon. Just tea.

by Anonymousreply 124January 5, 2015 1:02 PM

R122 Well, I have absolutely no idea then.

by Anonymousreply 125January 5, 2015 1:02 PM

When I was a kid, my mother gave us Chinese Tea. We used to drink buckets of it, when we came down with an illness.

Green Tea makes me puke like I drank too much Tequila.

by Anonymousreply 126January 5, 2015 1:47 PM

I drink tea in the morning on an empty stomach and it makes me feel sick

by Anonymousreply 127January 10, 2015 6:04 PM

It happened yesterday at chinese restaurant

by Anonymousreply 128January 27, 2015 3:39 PM

Too much acid, love. Try it with milk.

by Anonymousreply 129January 27, 2015 4:05 PM

This thread is fascinating. I thought I was the only person in the world who projectile vomits after drinking tea. Mind you, the Queen never thought it was amusing.

In Victorian times some thought tea was poison.

I think one is onto something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 27, 2015 4:34 PM

I had to give up tea and coffee for this very reason. It turned out that I have very bad acid reflux. I used to drink it without a problem and then, suddenly, I just couldn't. I've taken meds for the illness for years and have to avoid certain things.

by Anonymousreply 131January 27, 2015 4:44 PM

PG Tips is chav tea.

by Anonymousreply 132January 27, 2015 4:53 PM

OP, yes...I took some camomile tea to relax and I got a severe migraine and stomach pain. I've never drank tea again after that.

by Anonymousreply 133January 27, 2015 4:56 PM

Wow, I drink tea (camomile) when I feel sick and it seems to settle everything. I always use Twinning's bags that are individually wrapped, maybe this makes a difference. I used to buy it loose and it was like cat pee. Also you have to make sure the water is the correct temp. not too hot for some and boiling for others.

by Anonymousreply 134January 27, 2015 5:06 PM

Over the last thirty odd years I've always enjoyed a cup of tea as my first drink of the day!!! However, the last month each time I've drank one I've felt nauseous and quite ill; this morning I was physically sick!!! I'll never drink tea again!!!! I drink bout ten cups of coffee throughout the day so it's definitely not the caffeine!!! I believe it's the fact I'm getting older and my tastes have changed!!!!

by Anonymousreply 135March 14, 2015 7:18 AM

Last night, I drank a cup of black tea. I had not eaten in about 5 hours. Immediately, I feel naseauted, then very light headed. Then I got unnaturally hot, started sweating. I put my head down, but the symptoms remained for about 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 136September 17, 2015 1:29 PM

Yes it has. Don't buy that bullshit holistic overpriced garbage. Simple, regular tea! Red Rose is really good when brewed properly. Also, a nice Oolong tea is exceptionally good with toast or crumpets. Quit being a sucker for the alleged "health benefit" teas. They're bitter, over-priced and you don't know what sort of drug interaction they cause with all the dope in your system, especially with heroin.

by Anonymousreply 137September 17, 2015 1:47 PM

crumpets!

by Anonymousreply 138September 17, 2015 2:37 PM

OP ask yourself if your boyfriend has access to your food supply and if you've been quarreling lately.

by Anonymousreply 139September 17, 2015 3:14 PM

British tea is usually a strong blend of Assam and is never drunk black. It is far too strong and bitter to be consumed neat unless you have very peculiar tastes. Even a splash of (preferably skimmed) milk takes the edge off. In the UK you can get extra strong blends and even some that cater for high calcium content in the water (hard water).

If you want to drink tea without milk, then you need to look for a continental type like Liptons. Those brew a pale orange, rather than black and should not upset your stomach. Those usually come in an envelope with a string and tag attached to the bag unlike the common or garden strong teas like PG Tips, Tetley or Yorkshire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 17, 2015 4:08 PM

Black tea is too strong

by Anonymousreply 141September 17, 2015 4:09 PM

r141

Racist

by Anonymousreply 142September 17, 2015 4:43 PM

Beware the dangers of sun tea!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 17, 2015 7:47 PM

It tends to happen when: 1) I have an empty stomach; 2) I drink dark or black tea. 3) on airplanes

It never happens with green tea.

by Anonymousreply 144January 2, 2016 2:26 PM

A lot of quality green tea from Japan is grown in Uji, near Kyoto, and far away from Fukushima. While some tea may be grown elsewhere, the traditional area for green tea is Uji.

by Anonymousreply 145January 2, 2016 2:51 PM

Black tea is too harsh

by Anonymousreply 146January 3, 2016 6:16 PM

Green tea is best

by Anonymousreply 147January 31, 2016 2:06 PM

Yorkshire gold is the best.

by Anonymousreply 148January 31, 2016 2:11 PM

Does anyone know where to buy the lump sugar they use in England for their tea? I'm not normally a tea drinker, but I was in London two years ago and whenever,wherever we stopped for tea, we had lumps of sugar to use in our tea. I tried finding some before we left, but no luck. Maybe it's only available at fancy tea places- that was where we had our tea.

by Anonymousreply 149January 31, 2016 2:41 PM

Wow. I started this thread five years ago. Unreal that this thread is still around.

by Anonymousreply 150January 31, 2016 3:21 PM

Haha weird that this thread randomly got bumped. I just drank a cup of PG Tips this morning with lemon and honey because I have a cold. I didn't realize that PG Tips is sort of a lower class tea. At least it hasn't made me sick!

by Anonymousreply 151January 31, 2016 4:17 PM

Old tea will do it

by Anonymousreply 152June 30, 2018 11:45 AM

I've never had that reaction but I drink my tea (Yorkshire Gold) with milk.

by Anonymousreply 153June 30, 2018 12:02 PM

Refrigerate leftover tea immediately

by Anonymousreply 154May 27, 2019 4:26 PM

Oolong tea made me sick once.

by Anonymousreply 155May 27, 2019 4:28 PM

Yes, OP. I cannot drink tea unless I’m eating food too. Coffee doesn’t bother me so I think it’s the tannin.

by Anonymousreply 156May 27, 2019 4:29 PM

Tea gives me a headache. It didn't used to, it's only in the last five years.

by Anonymousreply 157May 27, 2019 4:30 PM

I’ve never had any of these reactions to tea - and I’ve been drinking tea since I could hold a sippy cup as a tot. I did drink coffee in college, but never really cared for it, so went back to tea.

I use either Barry’s or Lyon’s tea (keep a box at work too), and have my first cuppa on an empty stomach, with a smoke first thing in the morning. I probably have about about 10 big sized mugs a day. Unlike some others I know, I can have a cuppa right before going to bed without a problem. Maybe I’ve built up an immunity lol

Time for a cuppa!

by Anonymousreply 158May 27, 2019 4:38 PM

Not one of the tea-sick. I drink different ones from Twinings or Trader Joe's, hot and iced.

by Anonymousreply 159May 27, 2019 4:40 PM

Don't forget that it could be something you put IN the tea that is making you sick - milk or sugar.

A favorite of murder mystery novels is lacing the sugar with arsenic.

by Anonymousreply 160May 27, 2019 5:42 PM

PG Tips is for laborers.

by Anonymousreply 161May 27, 2019 5:45 PM

Black tea gives me palpitations, the sweats, and fainting spells

by Anonymousreply 162May 27, 2019 6:19 PM

You must not watch ID Discovery shows.

Your spouse is TRYING TO POISON YOU!

by Anonymousreply 163May 27, 2019 9:08 PM

I had a bad reaction to tea once when I was about 22 and actually addicted to caffeine. I went through over 15 tea bags in one morning and suddenly my lip puffed up to twice its size and got tingly and I threw up.

I drink 1-3 cups of hot tea a day and have never had any other issue with it.

by Anonymousreply 164May 27, 2019 9:16 PM

Yes, it just happened on Saturday. I was having a kidney stone attack and when I tried to drink Yogi’s ginger tea for digestion, I got sick and started vomiting. Thankfully, I was close to a trashcan.

by Anonymousreply 165May 27, 2019 9:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!