Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Broadway friendships

Since so many of you know a lot about Broadway, I thought I'd ask this question. We hear so many "horror stories" about film stars who insist that no one on the set look at them or speak to them. Even if a movie star is known for being nice, you seldom hear that they're friends with the minor supporting players in their films. I just wonder if the same is true for the theater. Is there a gulf between a leading lady and the chorus, so that she breezes in each day barely acknowledging them, or do most stage stars know the names of all the chorus members, chat with them, attend cast birthday parties, etc? Is Broadway a friendlier place than the movie set?

by Anonymousreply 155November 13, 2020 2:01 AM

Both Sutton Foster & Kelli O'Hara despise one another

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2011 7:55 PM

Sometimes the star will make some sort of meaningless grand gesture at the beginning of the run, a party or a potluck, supposedly to foster teamwork and feeling of "family." But pretty soon after that, the star behaves like a diva and wouldn't be able to pick any of the chorus out of a line-up if their life depended on it. Don't believe all the theatuh nonsense about how generous and giving these headliners are.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2011 9:11 PM

My uncle has worked behind the scenes for the NYC stage for ages.

He says that Cherry Jones is the best lady he has ever worked with bar none in no small part because she is a naturally friendly lady who does not put on airs at all.

She has a very wide circle of friends from within the world of the theater because she is not judgmental. My uncle says she could literally staff her own crew or something at this point.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2011 9:28 PM

In my experience:

Nice Broadway stars that treat everyone well, from a production assistant at the first rehearsal to an on the street encounter with a dresser 5 years later:

John Lithgow Angela Lansbury Cherry Jones Brooke Shields Keith Carradine Judith Ivey Hugh Jackman Allison Janney Boyd Gaines Jan Maxwell David Hyde Pierce Beth Leavel Valerie Harper Gary Beach Judith Light Christopher Sieber Chita Rivera Sandy Duncan Tyne Daly Richard Thomas

You could be their co-star or a cleaning lady, they'll make you french their hem:

Nathan Lane Lauren Bacall Linda Lavin Mary Louise Parker Mandy Patinkin Elaine Stritch Raul Esparza Jeremy Irons Diahann Carroll Liz Ashley Patti LuPone Tovah Feldshuh Joel Grey

And the worst, in my book - the ones who pretend they're super sweet, but are actually completely self-absorbed and always looking over your shoulder for someone who can do more for them:

Debra Monk Brian d'Arcy James Victoria Clark Hunter Foster John Benjamin Hickey Kristin Chenoweth Sutton Foster

Middle of the road people (like Bernadette, who is nice but doesn't particularly go out of her way, or Stockard, who is rather chilly but not poisonous to be around):

Bernadette Peters Stockard Channing Michael Cerveris Norbert Butz Laura Linney Roger Bart Karen Ziemba Roger Rees Audra McDonald Victor Garber

Just bizarre:

Bebe Neuwirth Betty Buckley Frank Langella Liza Minnelli Alan Cumming Christine Ebersole

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2011 8:14 PM

When I was younger, I was friends with Cynthia Nixon when we were both fresh out of high school. She was playing a part in "The Real Thing" on Broadway at the time, and she said Jeremy Irons acted very high-and-mighty, as if he were the actual director of the piece, and gave everyone notes at the end of each run-through.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2011 8:23 PM

Miss LuPone always behaves naturally, even when she is among her inferiors.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2011 8:25 PM

[quote]You could be their co-star or a cleaning lady, they'll make you french their hem: Nathan Lane Lauren Bacall Linda Lavin Mary Louise Parker Mandy Patinkin Elaine Stritch Raul Esparza Jeremy Irons Diahann Carroll Liz Ashley Patti LuPone Tovah Feldshuh Joel Grey

The only one of these who is a surprise to me is Joel Grey.

The rest (particularly Lane, Bacall, Patinkin, Esparza, Carroll, Feldshuh and of course Stritch and LuPone) are in theater basically because they're incredibly insecure and have been desperate for attention and adulation their whole lives. Some of them have even stayed in theater mostly by choice rather than tried seriously to cross over to film or television because they crave actual applause so badly.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2011 8:30 PM

I'm not surprised, R7. Joel Grey has the rep of being an absolute horror. He used his "star clout" to deny the company of the CABARET a frikkin' Christmas party because, in his opinion, they didn't deserve it. True story.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2011 8:47 PM

R8, that's an amazing story about Joel Grey, if true. Are you talking about the revival of CABARET back in the '80s? I highly doubt he had enough power to do that when he was in the original production.

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2011 9:23 PM

Didn't Joel Grey slap or slug one of his dressers while in "Chicago"? That hit list of horrors is truly frightful. While not someone who's been in shows with them, I've seen half of them around town pulling all kinds of crap. Diahann Carroll is of course the worst, but my friends on "White Collar" tell me she's been a total pro so far.

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2011 3:32 AM

Vicky Clark and John Hickey are the worst of that "pretend they're sweet but are two-faced" crowd.

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2011 3:46 AM

Why exactly do Sutton and Kelli hate each other?

Kelli's not as glam on stage (as opposed to off, where Sutton is plain as dirt), but she's a much better actor than Sutton. Sutton knows only one level, she's not really an actress at all.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2011 3:49 AM

Joel Grey makes his dresser put his socks on for him. Now THAT'S entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 13December 15, 2011 3:46 AM

Oh, R4, but I heard Bernadette most particularly went out of her way-- for chorus girls.

by Anonymousreply 14December 15, 2011 4:22 AM

More on the Kelli/Sutton blood feud, please.

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2011 4:34 AM

Joel Grey...War on Christmas! War on Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2011 10:09 AM

I know this is a thread about Broadway, so sorry for interrupting, but just to say in Britain there is far less hierarchy and it's quite common for the entire cast to be treated and perceive each other as equals, and for leads and supporting actors to become good friends. At least in straight theatre that is the norm, and it's common in TV, too. (With the exception of actual TV extras.) There are some arsehole actors who are divas but they are thankfully the exception.

Maybe in the really big, celeb-driven West End shows you might get that a bit (the recent West End celeb Much Ado being a significant exception and a truly equal and happy show to work on). Some of the biggest theatre companies, like the RSC, actually have specific protocols in place to to try to encourage equality and egalitarianism.

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2011 10:42 AM

r4 you must be a dresser or possibly in the wig dept?

They always see the stars at their most real.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2011 11:33 AM

[quote]Tovah Feldshuh

Sorry to hear this. I had no idea she was a handful.

[quote]Some of the biggest theatre companies, like the RSC, actually have specific protocols in place to to try to encourage equality and egalitarianism.

A friend told me years ago that all members of the RSC have to take yoga classes TOGETHER, with none of this I-prefer-my-own-yoga-instructor. Any idea if that's true?

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2011 11:46 AM

Going to disagree with the Debra Monk comment. I've known her for quite a while and found her to be consistently thoughtful and lovely.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2011 11:56 AM

[quote]Britain there is far less hierarchy and it's quite common for the entire cast to be treated and perceive each other as equals

There are, of course, exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2011 11:57 AM

R21 Is that my telly you're ringing?

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2011 12:01 PM

Debra Monk seemed pretty genuine when I worked with her.

I always thought Bernadette had some great reputation? She.does seem a bit aloof...

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2011 12:07 PM

[quote]I just wonder if the same is true for the theater. Is there a gulf between a leading lady and the chorus, so that she breezes in each day barely acknowledging them

We only WISH they'd stick to just barely acknowledging us.

by Anonymousreply 24December 15, 2011 12:07 PM

R4, specific stories about Vicki Clark, or is that just in general (i.e., she's always like that, nothing more beneath the surface when you spend more time with her)?

Too bad; she was truly a great person in college. Loved doing theatre projects with her.

by Anonymousreply 25December 15, 2011 12:08 PM

Going back to the original production of Cabaret, the late Jill Haworth once said she was not too fond of Joel Grey.

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2011 12:21 PM

I have heard nice things about Mary Martin from a few people who were supporting actors in her musicals.

Very few stories about people being fired, but she was very much the star. Martin would not tolerate any actor who walked through a show, but was good with people, especially children, who made mistakes now and then.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2011 12:25 PM

Bernadette rushes toward whoever clearly hates her. Well, not rushes, more like wanders over to as if she's some blind fucking orphan, but she very much loves people who treat her like crap. Like long time buddy and pal Stephen Sondheim! And Joel Grey! And every other shit head on Broadway! Very chilly/condescending to anyone who treats her warmly.

Speaking of Joel Grey-- He adores BP and Donna Sally Cato Murphy, totes the two around like they're his fucking chihuahuas, and yet the two just stop short of refusing to talk to each other, I can guess in Peters case probably because Murphy is extremely affectionate, but I don't know much about it besides bitchy shenanigans with BP obviviously intentionally setting Murphy into a neurotic frenzy a while ago at the 2004 or 2005 Broadway Barks, Murphy clearly can't handle dogs, BP I guess kept setting this one loose that was jumping up at her and pawing her dress down, one of those elastic-y empire waist things, and Murphy is generally unaware that bras exist.

General rule with Murphy's friendships is that besides Marin Mazzie, who serves as mother (and is also very sweet, spends most of her time with Jason and Murphy and whoever Murphy's flavor of the year is, very reliable woman, I haven't heard of her fighting with anyone), she only gets along with people who are clearly fucked up-- best friendzies with SuFo, Tonya Pinkins, some off-Broadway gals. There's a reason journalists love fucking with her.

Laura Benanti and Patti LuPone get along well because they're the only people who can stand each other. Both play the victim and only act for the applause and to get away with a lot of bullshit.

Who is Kelli O'Hara friends with? I haven't heard of her getting along with anyone. Which I assume means she doesn't get along with other actresses, which I assume means she's a generally sane and kind human being.

And I know Rachel York gets along with nearly everyone, typically older Broadway stars (~70s) tend to take a liking to her. She doesn't bullshit.

No one talks to Bebe. She's this strange spiderlike thing that looks as if she'll bite you if you say 'hi'. Someone paired her up with fucking very touchy, no personal boundaries Splatsy LuPone and every time Splatsy touched BBs shoulder it was like watching an anemic cat being tortured.

Tyne Daly is fucking wonderful with the rest of the cast, puts a lot of work into nurturing and helping younger ones, has a rolicking time with more established ones who she knows well and commits pranks with, very nice woman.

Jan Maxwell is also ridiculously appreciative of people.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2011 12:30 PM

I've seen Bernadette be very warm with fans, including me. I also know people who have worked with her who say good things. One friend encountered her in a very non show biz setting and she was very supportive of him and did a lot of make him feel better when she could have done the typical actor thing and made it all about her.

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2011 1:04 PM

Surprised to hear about D'Arcy James.

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2011 1:24 PM

Sutton made a crack about Kelli to the press, and Kelli took offense to it.

They have been enemies ever since. Last year at the Kennedy Center Honors, they were accidentally booked together for a musical tribute (neither one were aware the other was participating).

The tension was so thick, the producers had to place then at opposite ends when the group tool their bows.

by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2011 1:32 PM

Well, I work backstage and have had only good experiences with Kristin, Raul, Brian dJ. and Debbie Monk.

Maybe I'm just a nice guy and they see that.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2011 1:36 PM

r19, one of the things about the RSC is that they consider themselves to be sort of like the protectors of Shakespeare, and that it is their job to develop and train the next generation of Shakespearian actors. It's considered a training ground and almost like the drama school equivalent of postgrad school, rather than a commercial endeavour.

So when you're part of the RSC ensemble (which includes all cast for all plays, even 'guest stars'), it's a full-on schedule that includes different classes aimed at building up and supporting you as an actor all round (e.g. yoga/movement classes, text classes, voice classes with the legendary Cis Berry, etc.) rather than just specific rehearsals for your own play. It's not something extra or separate, those things are an inherent part of the rehearsal schedule. So yeah everyone attends the yoga/movement classes taught by an RSC tutor, regardless of whether they're right out of drama school and have one line, or they're a David Tennant or Patrick Stewart. There are a few exceptions (only the actors who have fight scenes do stage combat practice, and if you're a lead you might need or want extra rehearsals) but overall everyone does the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2011 1:37 PM

I actually have a picture somewhere of David Tennant doing yoga in a class with the rest of the Hamlet company. That was a very happy production. (I didn't work on that one, but I heard a lot about it.)

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2011 1:40 PM

Who are the nicest and the meanest directors and choreographers on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2011 1:48 PM

Yeah what is Rob Ashford like?

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2011 1:58 PM

A couple of years ago my friend Susan Browning died at age 65. Although she was nominated for two Tonys including the original production of Sondheims Company, she had gained a lot of weight and become rather self destructive. Her estranged family held a memorial service for her and several people sent their regrets. The only cast member from Company was a woman from the offstage vocal chorus. But Brian D'Arcy James attended and did a number with chorus members from Big River, which he'd been in with Susan. Then he sang the best rendition of Being Alive, I've ever heard. (Susan's on the left.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2011 2:01 PM

Susan Browning was Emmy nominated for playing Martha Washington

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2011 2:04 PM

Is Joel Grey gay?

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2011 2:15 PM

R37, I think your friend Susan's voice on "Barcelona" is one of the loveliest sounds in the world. I've adored her voice (and that performance, from the cast album) since I was 8 or 9. Still gives me shivers when I listen to the youtube video of the recording (linked).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2011 2:33 PM

R37, although I missed seeing her in COMPANY, I did see Susan in GOODTIME CHARLEY, the musical about Joan of Arc with Joel Grey and Ann Reinking. Susan's rendition of the song "Merci Bon Dieu" is a highlight of the cast recording. Lovely vocal!

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2011 2:40 PM

I knew Rob Ashford years ago before he hit le big time. He was nice enough, if a little frosty. I'm told he's VERY frosty now and a bit of a starfucker. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2011 2:58 PM

is this thread the bastard, less entertaining version of the nastiest person on Broadway threads from last year.

I think you can find them by googling "the nastiest person on Broadway"

Loads of dish from dressers and backstage people about the mean the nasty and fueds between actors

by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2011 3:08 PM

R40; I always told Susan how I loved her singing of Barcelona. And was amazed when she told me she'd never had singing lessons. The original cast recording of her singing it was played at her memorial service.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2011 3:53 PM

R42- Ashford is getting fucked nightly by How to Succeed dancer and co-choreographer assistant, Charlie Williams.

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2011 5:15 PM

Is Sergio Trujillo as pompous as he seems?

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2011 9:23 PM

I imagine that there's not as great a chasm between broadway stars and the rest of the cast, as there is in movies. Movies get made because of the stars wattage, and the whole enterprise is geared towards making them happy. Broadway just seems so much more, I don't know, scrappy? that there seems to instill a more community spirit.

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2011 9:30 PM

John Barrowman was loathed by his fellow London cast members in ANYTHING GOES, MATADOR and SUNSET BOULEVARD. They think he was a massive narcissist and extremely obnoxious. "Oh, dear God, it's that loud American" was a favorite thing to say when they could hear him noisily enter the stage door.

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2011 9:36 PM

Not surprising about Barrowman

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2011 9:41 PM

Um, more on Sondheim being an asshole to Bernadette Peters, please. I've never heard anything about that.

Why would BP be bothered that Murphy is affectionate? Do mean affectionate as in hitting on her?

by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2011 9:49 PM

Raul Esparza "doesn't suffer fools gladly," whch, translated, means HE is the star and everyone else is there to cater to HIS needs and stay out of HIS way.

by Anonymousreply 51December 15, 2011 10:05 PM

Murphy put a dog collar on and wanted Bernadette to walk her around the park. Bernadette didn't think it was funny.

by Anonymousreply 52December 15, 2011 10:14 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 53December 16, 2011 1:33 AM

I saw Barrowman on more than one occaison hanging around with many of the cast members from Company in DC.

by Anonymousreply 54December 16, 2011 1:58 AM

[quote]Is Sergio Trujillo as pompous as he seems?

I met him many years ago socially when he was a chorus dancer, and used to flirt with him which I was delighted to do. I even kissed him a few times. He was adorable. Now I hear he is a holy terror, works the dancers into the ground, calls them fat, and the realtor who sold him his apartment badmouthed him immediately in the press.

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2011 2:59 AM

R54, well, if you read my post you'd grasp that he was loathed and derided as "the loud American" by fellow British performers. In DC you saw him with other "loud Americans," didn't you? Keep up, keep up.

by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2011 3:40 AM

Deborah Kerr was supposed to be absolutely lovely to work with, particularly in "Tea and Sympathy," where the cast was said to absolutely adore her.

Robert Preston is supposed to be a rock-solid professional. The only thing he's intolerant of is people who create drama or who slack.

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2011 4:26 AM

Robert Preston has been dead for 24 years, r57. Why are you speaking of him in the present tense?

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2011 4:31 AM

[quote]Joel Grey makes his dresser put his socks on for him. Now THAT'S entitlement.

Well since he has been dancing his whole life, maybe his body is shot, not to mention he's 79 fucking years old and is still singing and dancing eight shows a week. Perhaps he doesn't want to hurt himself or he actually can't bend all the over to put his socks on anymore, besides the fact that's what a dresser is fucking paid to do... dress the star.

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2011 4:42 AM

Joel Grey's been having his dressers completely clothe him (like a dress up doll) for at least 35 years. And yes, the dresser is there to assist an actor get into costume, particularly in the case of a quick change. But demanding someone place the socks on your feet at the age of 40? Please. The nadir of crummy entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2011 6:49 AM

Joel Grey is just an asshole. Always has been, always will be.

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2011 7:18 AM

I've heard that Lynn Redgrave was an absolutely lovely woman -- kind, professional, funny, undemanding, and generous. Everyone she worked with in the theater seems to have adored her. I have not heard similar thoughts about Vanessa.

by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2011 7:24 AM

How are/were Vanessa's daughters?

by Anonymousreply 63December 16, 2011 8:25 AM

Don't know anything about Joely, but Natasha was a doll.

by Anonymousreply 64December 16, 2011 9:41 AM

[quote] he's 79 fucking years old and is still singing and dancing eight shows a week.

Dancing? LOL

Dancing around his notes, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 65December 16, 2011 11:54 AM

R61- So true. Jill said she tolerated Joel. But being the new kid on the block-- she was only 20 when Cabaret opened, she never complained. It's well documented that she didn't get great reviews (Walter Kerr) for her portrayal of Sally. But she stayed with the show two years. I miss her, she was a sweet, generous but complicated lady.

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2011 11:57 AM

Are you high, r4? In no way does Raul Esparza deserve to be on a list of people who are easy and well regarded like Angela Lansbury. He's a notorious cunt fueled only by his desperate fears of inadequacy and self loathing homophobia. I don't think I know a single person working in this business who would agree with you, except for those who want to one-off hate fuck his short ass (when he's thin, not fat.)

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2011 12:07 PM

Oh sorry r4, I read Esparza as being in the category above the one you listed him in. My bad, not enough coffee yet. I stand by what I said, just not directed at you.

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2011 12:10 PM

Brian D'Arcy James is the nicest man in show business, truly. I've worked with him. And the meanest? With the death of Arthur Laurents, the mantle has been passed to... Martin Charnin.

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2011 12:14 PM

I cannot believe that the name Des McAnuff has not yet appeared on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2011 2:30 PM

Raul Esparza is a big Cherry Jones fan in a 'Datalounge Mary' kind of way.

He also was "married" to a lady for about eight years or so. But, he has since formally divorced her and has come out of the closet. If he still acts like a douche, it might be because he came out as BI but is really a gay man.

I respect everyone in the LGBT community equally from the heart. I am only making reference to Raul Esparza when I write of his situation and nothing more than that.

by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2011 3:04 PM

R70, what does Des have in common with Sondheim? You guessed it. He's one twisted mother fucker.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2011 3:29 PM

I don't think Raul has that rep anymore. There are a lot of tortured artists. But he always delivered. Here is his brilliant "Petrified" from Taboo after his character is gay bashed, while Raul was still in the closet. It was thrilling live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2011 4:30 PM

more on Sondheim please.

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2011 4:33 PM

One of the best with the most friends - George Hearn.

by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2011 4:36 PM

Very entertaining thread.....thanks!

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2011 4:41 PM

John Lithgow is one of the nicest, smartest and most considerate men in the business.

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2011 5:36 PM

R70, I think there hasn't been mention of Des further up the thread because it started out discussing actors and they way they treat their costars and crew. But please, there are 523 posts left - post away about Des and his plastic face!

And Brian d'Arcy James USED to be one of the truly nice people. He still puts on the sweet routine, but his management have pumped him up so far that his ambition to be a major presence in TV/movies has changed him (see also Vicki Clark, a 50-something y.o. with a moonface whom Gersh has somehow convinced is a TV star in waiting... and she's really gone sour). Cheyenne Jackson's agents have done the star trip on him as well, but Cheyenne (at least so far) hasn't bought into it the way others have.

I'd like to tell the whole lot of them (Raul, Sutton, Benanti, Borle, etc) a bedtime story:

"Once upon a time there were four actors named Faith Prince, Jarod Emick, John Lloyd Young, and Melissa Errico. They were nominated for lots of awards, and even won some. Everyone told them they were going to be big, big TV stars and all of them fell for it, hook, line and sinker. Faith is now living in Sacramento, Jarod is stoned at Milwaukee Rep, JLY's last movie ("Oy Vey! My Son is Gay!") grossed about ten bucks, and when Missy Errico's character on "Central Park West" jumped off a balcony, the editors had it put on a continuous loop so the production team could watch it over and over. And over. The End."

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2011 10:18 PM

What a stellar cautionary tale you weave, r78.

by Anonymousreply 79December 16, 2011 10:44 PM

I love you R78! LOL

by Anonymousreply 80December 16, 2011 11:04 PM

[quote] I cannot believe that the name Des McAnuff has not yet appeared on this thread.

He's mucking up productions at The Met now.

by Anonymousreply 81December 16, 2011 11:09 PM

What 's the scoop on Mary L Parker?

by Anonymousreply 82December 16, 2011 11:19 PM

Well, R82, there's a word for someone like MLP. But we'd just as soon not summon one particular troll.

Let's just say that if you know the whole story, Billy Crudup is the more sympathetic of the two.

by Anonymousreply 83December 16, 2011 11:23 PM

What's the scoop on David Cromer and his beer-can cock?

by Anonymousreply 84December 16, 2011 11:26 PM

Marin Mazzie is one of the good ones

by Anonymousreply 85December 16, 2011 11:36 PM

Another swell gentleman: Jimmy Naughton

I like to mention the good ones....they're so few and far between.

by Anonymousreply 86December 16, 2011 11:43 PM

Cheyenne Jackson and Terri White are the nicest folks in Broadwayland. When they were in "Finian's Rainbow" together the whole cast was one big happy family. It was a magnificent show - best thing I ever saw on Broadway. Tragic it got closed 4 months after the US economy crashed.

I personally know Christine Ebersole and she is the sweetest and funniest woman on earth. I have never seen her act "weird" as an earlier post said. She's as middle American as they come though her talent is boundless. And in case you don't know, she's been a HUGE supporter of The Gays since she was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 87December 16, 2011 11:44 PM

R4 should write a book!!!!

by Anonymousreply 88December 17, 2011 1:28 AM

A friend of mine worked with Ebersole and said she was downright mean and nasty to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 89December 17, 2011 2:02 AM

Yes to Marin and Jimmy Naughton. They're good eggs.

And R87, Christine Ebersole is brilliantly talented and funny, no doubt. But I think her "9/11 was staged by the US government" monologues definitely qualify as weird.

by Anonymousreply 90December 17, 2011 2:04 AM

Ebersole can be sweet as pie or nasty and batshit. You never know if bad Christine is lurking around the corner.

by Anonymousreply 91December 17, 2011 2:33 AM

Ebersole is notorious for walking through shows after opening night.

My George Hearn story involves being behind him at a grocery store in a DC suburb when he was in town doing The Visit. The cashier asked if he had one of the store cards for his discount and he just said "no, but thank you so much for asking." When she tried to convince him to sign up for one, he just said "oh, I'm only here for a short time and I'd rather not keep these people behind me in line waiting any longer." Just very sweet and gracious and very unassuming. She swiped her card and gave him the discount.

by Anonymousreply 92December 17, 2011 3:25 AM

Lea Michelle and Jonathan Groff are actual best friends.

by Anonymousreply 93December 17, 2011 3:29 AM

R28 - Kelli O'Hara is good friends with Sherie Rene Scott, for one.

R31 - If it was such a big deal, why did the producers invite both of them back this year to sing for Barbara Cook?

I've worked with Bernadette a few times. It's true that she knows EVERYONE'S name. She's very nice, but not overly friendly. If you say hello to her she'll smile and ask you how your day was, but she probably won't initiate a conversation. Most of the cast at Follies only see her on stage and then at the stage door since she usually spends a good amount of time signing autographs and taking pictures. None of them hold it against her though because she's a complete professional.

Joanna Gleason can be a bit weird when she's "in the zone" (during the show) but before and after she's very pleasant. A few weeks ago she made pancakes for everyone (cast, stagehands and ushers) over at Sons of the Prophet before their Sunday matinee.

by Anonymousreply 94December 17, 2011 3:49 AM

Ebersole is a raging cunt. She slapped a (male) makeup artist and the producers had to settle with him quietly and quickly.

by Anonymousreply 95December 17, 2011 3:51 AM

r 92: She never walked through any GREY GARDENS performances.

by Anonymousreply 96December 17, 2011 3:54 AM

That was Frances Farmer r95

by Anonymousreply 97December 17, 2011 4:50 AM

[quote]I don't think Raul has that rep anymore. There are a lot of tortured artists. But he always delivered. Here is his brilliant "Petrified" from Taboo after his character is gay bashed, while Raul was still in the closet. It was thrilling live.

People aren't questioning his talents here. They're discussing whether or not he's nice to his fellow actors.

TRY to pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 98December 17, 2011 4:57 AM

[quote]But I think her "9/11 was staged by the US government" monologues definitely qualify as weird.

The Congress just gave the President the power to detain American citizens without trial or charges indefinitely and you think it's weird that people are suspicious of the event the government uses to justify this outrage?

by Anonymousreply 99December 17, 2011 5:01 AM

What's John Benjamin Hickey's story? He does seem moody or something. Nice one moment then not so nice the next.

by Anonymousreply 100December 17, 2011 5:03 AM

R99, uh... Roger that. But when someone interjects long, rambling diatribes against the government into medleys of Noel Coward songs, yes, I do think it's a bit weird. I know a lot of actors who have political leanings (as do I), but they don't necessarily bring all of their incoherent nonsense on stage with them. But thanks for playing, tinhat, and we have some wonderful parting gifts for you; your Turtle Wax is waiting for you at the stage door.

Oh, and by the way, Katrina was an act of God!

by Anonymousreply 101December 17, 2011 5:38 AM

Does Miss Jackson (Cheyenne) have any Broadway friendships?

by Anonymousreply 102December 17, 2011 6:05 AM

[quote]But thanks for playing, tinhat,

No problem, shit-for-brains. Physical science is not on the side of the official story of 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 103December 17, 2011 6:18 AM

I worked with someone who was friends with Bebe Neuwirth. She said that Bebe was painfully shy and fearful.

by Anonymousreply 104December 17, 2011 6:25 AM

How can Martin Charnin be the most disliked person in the business, when he's not in the business anymore?

by Anonymousreply 105December 17, 2011 12:52 PM

Well, as librettist, Charnin must be somewhat involved in the eternally upcoming revival of Annie even if he's not directing this one; and he's also just been announced as writing and directing a new musical about Cinderella's step-sisters after Cinderella marries her prince (sorry, can't remember the name of that one).

Nevertheless, I worked with him briefly in the early 80s and can certainly testify to his general unpleasantness.

by Anonymousreply 106December 17, 2011 1:11 PM

[quote] You never know if bad Christine is lurking around the corner

You do if you're a potential rival in the same show.

by Anonymousreply 107December 17, 2011 1:22 PM

Wait, r87 -- Finian's Rainbow is the best show you ever saw on Broadway???

by Anonymousreply 108December 17, 2011 2:03 PM

[quote]I worked with someone who was friends with Bebe Neuwirth. She said that Bebe was painfully shy and fearful.

You know, there comes a point in everyone's life (usually by the time they're 40) where they learn how to behave socially in spite of being shy. You don't have to be comfortable around other people, but you make an effort. It's for everyone's benefit. I can understand children and young adults being shy and not knowing how to overcome their shyness, but with older adults... I say, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 109December 17, 2011 2:13 PM

You can say that again, Ruthie!

by Anonymousreply 110December 17, 2011 3:00 PM

R109 may not be Witty, but it's certainly Wise.

by Anonymousreply 111December 17, 2011 4:24 PM

[quote]People aren't questioning his talents here. They're discussing whether or not he's nice to his fellow actors... TRY to pay attention.

What part of "I don't think Raul has that rep anymore". Do you not understand?

TRY to pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 112December 17, 2011 4:52 PM

R78, you're not quite on target re Faith Prince. The only reason she's out in CA is because she and her husband decided to raise their son there (it's where her husband is from, his parents are still there). Because LA is a quick flight from Sacramento, she's focused on TV work, and works all the time, including series recurring gigs (most recently Huff), and lots of episodics (check her IMDB). Whens something is too irresistible to pass up (Catered Affair, Ursula), she goes back to NY.

She's one of the nicer ones, too, but doesn't take bullshit from the crazies. She had an encounter with LuPone during "Noises Off" that was legendary.

by Anonymousreply 113December 17, 2011 5:14 PM

Please tell us the legendary encounter between Lupone and Prince.

by Anonymousreply 114December 17, 2011 6:11 PM

Who is Cherry Jones theater BFF? She has a stellar reputation and so I am thinking she might have a pal or two, right?

by Anonymousreply 115December 17, 2011 7:34 PM

Amused about coming across a picture that I think is from the event in R28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 18, 2011 1:38 AM

by Anonymousreply 117February 21, 2012 5:17 AM

Judy Kaye is another one who is completely, thoroughly professional - and has a chunk of pure ice at her core.

by Anonymousreply 118February 21, 2012 8:15 AM

[quote]She had an encounter with LuPone during "Noises Off" that was legendary

spill r113

by Anonymousreply 119February 21, 2012 9:00 AM

Erin Dilly is best friends with both Laura Bell Bundy and Kristi Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 120February 21, 2012 10:54 AM

This thread is boring. A bunch of people talking about people they've never worked with or even know. What a snooze.

by Anonymousreply 121February 21, 2012 11:10 AM

Judith Light, Rachel York, Allison Janney, and Hugh Jackman are said to be angels by a great many people, and it's been said again here. And Danny Burstein might qualify for that list as well. Audra McDonald and Gabriel Byrne might as well.

Lauren Ambrose has a reputation for being a total sweetheart. And Brian Dennehy is said to be a great guy.

My intuition says that Katie Finneran must be as daffy and lovable offstage as she is on. And that Linda Emond must have as much genuine depth and humanity offstage as she does on. Can anyone confirm or deny. On second thought, please don't deny if you will disabuse me of my expectations - this inveterate fanboy just doesn't want to know if he's wrong!

Susan Sarandon is said to be a total bitch.

Julianna Margulies, Jennifer Ehle and Cate Blanchett are all good friends (although Cate's New York appearances have so far been confined to Brooklyn, it seems only a matter of time before she makes a Broadway splash; if only it had been in a transfer of Liv Ullman Ullman's super production of Streetcar at BAM two seasons ago) since they met when they did Paradise Road.

by Anonymousreply 122February 21, 2012 9:25 PM

x

by Anonymousreply 123April 16, 2012 2:04 AM

They don't get any nicer or more genuine than Rory O'Malley.

by Anonymousreply 124April 16, 2012 6:09 AM

[quote]And the worst, in my book - the ones who pretend they're super sweet, but are actually completely self-absorbed and always looking over your shoulder for someone who can do more for them:

Debra Monk Brian d'Arcy James Victoria Clark Hunter Foster John Benjamin Hickey Kristin Chenoweth Sutton Foster

Boy that list nailed it. Monk, James, and Hickey would skin a puppy if it meant getting something they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 125July 15, 2012 2:45 AM

First off, I cannot account for some of the people you mentioned as being divas, but I can say that Sutton Foster is the most down-to-earth, kind-hearted person you'll ever meet. She works super hard, is kind to everyone from her understudy to the enthusiastic fan, and she once said she'd cover her understudies in any show in an instant. I know her personally and she is so sweet and gracious, and a very classy woman and good role model. Sutton is hardworking and very, very kind, and how dare you accuse her of being a diva, when she walks down the street in sweats and a ponytail, replies to every fan letter, and spends hours after her concert chatting with fans?

by Anonymousreply 126February 24, 2013 3:19 AM

Sutton and Cheyenne both had to make their Facebook profiles invisible as they were harassed by many crazed stalkers.

by Anonymousreply 127February 24, 2013 4:27 AM

John Benjamin Hickey is shockingly mean....nice then mean..like Jekyll and Hyde

by Anonymousreply 128February 24, 2013 4:30 AM

The event between Faith and Patti had to do with a bit of business that had never worked (in Noises Off). Faith asked the stage manager to ask LuPone if they could just cut it since it wasn't working. As it happened, Faith had had an emergency with her sin the night before, he was in the hospital. She came to the matinee and was told LuPone would like to see her. She went to LuPone's dressing room, and LuPone went into a raging tirade against her - along the lines of "Don't you EVER try to tell ME how to play comedy". Fuck you this, fuck you that. We could hear it all over backstage.

Then, as they coming offstage at intermission,LuPone said to her "Oh, yeah, how's your kid?"

by Anonymousreply 129February 24, 2013 5:45 AM

129) seriously HBO should have been backstage from day one with a documentary crew because that would have been amazing to witness. The companion piece could feature The Anarchist rehearsals with her and Debra Winger!

by Anonymousreply 130February 24, 2013 8:58 AM

Julianna Margulies is a self-entitled cunt, very princess-y. Do not cross her. Too difficult to ut up with theater work any more.

Audra is smart and nice but knows she's a princess and beloved and demands respect. I don't see her going out of her way to chat with crew.

Linda Emond is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 131February 24, 2013 1:30 PM

Bernadette Peters has long been a favorite of mine, but now that she's 64 years it seems like she should quit trying to look and act like she's 24. That hair is just creepy on a 64-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 132February 24, 2013 2:30 PM

In keeping with the original theme of this thread ... Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana are "adorbs" in their Princess Diary segments for R&H's Cinderella. Their both otherwise attached, but truly seem to like each other outside being co-stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2013 2:35 PM

"They're" – good God!

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2013 3:16 PM

Debra Monk is friends with Andrea Martin, Victor Garber, Terrence Mann/Charlotte D'Amboise. And our own Karen Ziemba.

Laura Benanti is besties with Celia Keenan-Bolger.

Lots of the younger folk live close to each other in Inwood or Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2013 5:26 PM

This thread has been dead too long! Get with the dish! The JB Hickey stuff surprised me.

Any new stories? How's Idina?

by Anonymousreply 136February 15, 2015 11:28 PM

JK simmons said on Howard stern that his best friend is Gregg Eddelman, I think he said he would thank Greg if he won the oscar

by Anonymousreply 137February 15, 2015 11:37 PM

Tyne Daly is fairly calculating. She wants everyone to like her so that the press on her is good, but she has her moments of being cold, gruff, and not so pleasant. Most people who work with her have good experiences, however.

Burstein, Luker, Mazzie, Daniely, Ziemba - all wonderful, lovely, down to earth people who are friends.

by Anonymousreply 138February 15, 2015 11:44 PM

John Barrowman came to host a fundraiser/benefit/revue at my middle school one time. I was in 6th or 7th grade, so this would have been circa 2002. I really don't know why he was there, considering it was a middle school in Texas.

Anyway, there were a few group numbers where we kids were singing back-up for him. We were all excited, were told he was a big star in London, etc. During rehearsals, we were all behind the curtain, while he was in front of it practicing his banter.

All of a sudden, he storms behind the curtain: "QUIET!! ARE YOU PROFESSIONALS OR NOT?! How can I concentrate when there's all this FUCKING NOISE?! BE FUCKING PROFESSIONALS OR BE FUCKING CHILDREN, BUT I DO NOT WORK WITH CHILDREN - SO SHUT UP!!!"

Then, he went back in front of the curtain, and the rehearsal continued. He laughed it off and was charming for the rest of the time, but all of us were wondering what was wrong with him.

"SO SHUT UP!!" became a running gag among us theatre kids.

by Anonymousreply 139February 16, 2015 12:23 AM

[quote]Diahann Carroll is of course the worst, but my friends on "White Collar" tell me she's been a total pro so far.

I heard the same from crew members. The only explanation is that she quit the booze. Notoriously mean and addled drunk usually, I've seen it up close. Good for her if it's true.

by Anonymousreply 140February 16, 2015 12:59 AM

When Ginger Rogers did "Dolly" on Broadway, it was rumored that she told the Stage Manager no one in the chorus should speak to her. One gypsy slipped a note under her dressing room door, "Miss Rogers, The theater is on fire."

by Anonymousreply 141February 16, 2015 2:58 AM

The bad mouthing of Hickey is bullshit. He's one of the most generous in the biz.Friends with everybody, too.

by Anonymousreply 142February 16, 2015 3:02 AM

Let's see who gets the most applause!

by Anonymousreply 143February 16, 2015 3:04 AM

Just the perfect blendship!

by Anonymousreply 144March 14, 2015 6:32 PM

Ask the producers of The New Normal why Hickey is a self-absorbed ass.

by Anonymousreply 145March 14, 2015 7:03 PM

Lies! All lies! I am polite, sweet, lovely and nice peron to work with.

by Anonymousreply 146March 14, 2015 7:57 PM

[quote]Lies! All lies! I am polite, sweet, lovely and nice peron to work with.

Patti, that was almost forty years ago and Bob Gunton was the nice peron.

by Anonymousreply 147March 14, 2015 8:21 PM

A friend of mine worked backstage on a revival of The Best Man by Gore Vidal. Lot of TV associated people involved - Eric McCormack, Cybill Shepherd, Kristin Davis, John Larroquette, Candice Bergen along with Angela Lansbury and Elizabeth Ashley. She said Cybill and Kristin had not done Broadway before and became good friends during the run at least. Said she never seen anyone so nervous as Kristin but she pulled it out ok. She also said despite the divas mentioned they were all great and Larroquette was the only person who was difficult and rude. Does he have that reputation? Or maybe she just caught him on a bad week?

by Anonymousreply 148March 15, 2015 7:47 PM

YA GOTTA MINCE

by Anonymousreply 149March 15, 2015 7:53 PM

Michael C. Hall has worked on Broadway a lot, what's he like?

by Anonymousreply 150March 15, 2015 7:59 PM

Victoria Clark has a very sour personality.

by Anonymousreply 151March 15, 2015 8:20 PM

Let's see....

Bitchy catfights PLUS Broadway!

This thread should be DL gold!

by Anonymousreply 152March 15, 2015 8:23 PM

More! More!

by Anonymousreply 153November 13, 2020 1:45 AM

[quote]She said Cybill and Kristin had not done Broadway before and became good friends during the run at least.

They weren't in it at the same time r148. Candace was in the original cast and Davis was in the replacement cast with Cybil Sheppard in that role. Bergen had done Broadway before too (Hurlyburly replacing Sigourney Weaver in the 80s).

Bergen had suffered a stroke a bit before this and was afraid to do the show but Larroquette, a friend convinced her to and would help her when she'd get confused or forget lines and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 154November 13, 2020 1:51 AM

Cybill replaced Bergen and Davis replaced Kerry Butler. Cybill left before run ended because of an illness in her family. Angelica Page (daughter of Geraldine and Rip) replaced her.

by Anonymousreply 155November 13, 2020 2:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!