Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Films You've Discovered, Hidden Gems

What movies have you seen that blew you away? I'm wondering about old or even newer films...the ones that some may know about but you didn't? Or the ones that no one knows about that you discovered.

I've heard of it and I know it has some renown, but I just watched "Street Scene" a 1931 King Vidor movie starring Sylvia Sidney and holy shit was it GOOD! The acting style was so natural considering the time the movie was made. And Sidney was awesome...and wasn't nominated for an Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 422October 12, 2019 9:35 AM

My sister recommended that I watch Street Scene today, she said it was really great but I couldn't do it. I hope they show it again. Sylvia Sidney was really beautiful, IMO, but she's rarely mentioned when Hollywood Golden Age beauties are discussed.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2011 11:04 PM

[italic]A Colt Is My Passport[/italic] - a Japanese gangster movie from the 60s. It was on the counter at my library, and I picked it up because it was a Criterion Collection release. It has some great photography. And I got a kick out of the music, some of which could've have come from a spaghetti western.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2011 11:15 PM

Two movies I enjoyed that I had not even known about til this last year:

Thank God It's Friday- I started a thread about this a month or so ago.

The Facts of Life starring Bob Hope and Lucille Ball. It was streaming on Netflix, Total fun. I want to find more movies like this.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2011 11:39 PM

Sylvia Sidney, like Ann Harding, Kay Francis and Ruth Chatterton were some of the biggest female stars of the early talkies but ALL are forgotten today....I guess because none of their films are considered classics by today's standards. And that's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2011 11:43 PM

Milos Forman's "Loves of a Blonde" and "Fireman's Ball."

Thomas Vinterberg's "The Celebration."

"I Love You Alice B Toklas" starring Peter Sellers.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2011 11:48 PM

The Trip (2010)

Viaggio in Italia (1954)

Shaolin Soccer (2001)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2011 11:48 PM

"She" with Helen Gahagan (Douglas).

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2011 11:52 PM

Ballad of a Soldier, a 1959 Russian film about a soldier who gets a ten day leave to see his mother, and the people he encounters during his travels.

It's a Criterion release, and I put it at the top of my queue a few years back when I was taking a class on the Soviet Union. It's an absolutely overpowering film, stunningly photographed in black & white, that had me crying buckets at the end.

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2011 11:55 PM

"Sayonara" starring Marlon Brando

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2011 12:03 AM

Just caught "Wild Target" on Netflix streaming. It's a crime caper rom-com with Emily Blunt, Bill Nighy, Eileen Atkins, Rupert Grint, and Rupert Everett. It was far, far more entertaining that I expected - this sort of movie is not usually my thing. But it was great fun, and of course, an unequaled cast. Well, except for Ron Weasley.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2011 12:16 AM

The Bishop's Wife-- watch it every Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2011 12:20 AM

The Man in the Moon with a young Reese Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2011 2:03 AM

"PaperHouse"

Impossible to find. A nearly perfect movie.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2011 2:06 AM

Lisa.

Delores Hart as a displaced refugee from the concentration camps who wants to go the Palestine and Stephen Boyd as a guilt ridden Dutch police officer who decides to help get her there. A supporting cast of great British character actors. Riveting and heart breaking.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2011 2:13 AM

A Chinese movie called "To Live". Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2011 2:16 AM

Agreed, R4 -- and don't forget Dorothy Mackaill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2011 2:21 AM

When Cher was TCM's guest programer earlier this month, she showed a movie named "Hobson's Choice" It starred Charles Laughton and John Mills. I wasn't going to watch it but Cher was so effusive in describing it, I gave it a chance and I'm glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2011 2:28 AM

The Constant Nymph

Letter From An Unknown Woman

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2011 2:30 AM

Sonatine - another Japanese gangster movie. Quiet, slow moving, emotional roller coaster.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2011 2:32 AM

Voyage to Italy 1953, Ingrid Bergman and George Sanders are terrific together in this drama of a bored married couple rediscovering each other.

Senso - Visconti's sumptuous drama from 1954, Alida Valli is astonished as the countess giving up everything for love of wastrel Farley Granger. Visconti sure knew how to pick them.

Brother Sun Sister Moon - Zeffirelli's lovely film about St Francis of Assisi, risible in parts like when he strips off naked, but its very emotional with that flower power soundtrack by Donovan, very 1973, Valentina Cortese is marvellous as his mother, and Alec Guinness as the Pope.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2011 3:02 AM

When I was in college in the late 70s I saw a witty sexy French film called Por Quois Pas?

Sorry, I've probably mispelled it...but it translated to Why Not? and was about a male/male/female menage a trois and the 2 men were impossibly hot!

I've never heard it mentioned since then. Who were those 2 actors?!

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2011 3:05 AM

I saw West World and Future World. They were amazing!

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2011 3:10 AM

Gone With The Wind

Star Wars

Titanic

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows 2

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2011 3:12 AM

R20, it's actually Journey to Italy, but it sounds great. The only place I have found it so far is amazon on dvd

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2011 3:18 AM

R21--the film was "Pourquoi Pas". Superb film about sexuality and WAY ahead of anything produced today. The male/male part really looked like they loved each other.

A great Japanese film from 1996 called "Bounce Ko Girls", about a ring of teenage high school girl grifters and hookers in Tokyo. Well done naturalistic acting by all the (then) young actors.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2011 3:29 AM

The Bad sleep well, this is a Japanese movie from the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2011 3:43 AM

The Butcher Boy (1997). When I stumbled on this movie, it was like someone was filming my own life. It gave me such courage to know my own gay young self was not alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2011 3:44 AM

Not as esoteric as some but I have liked these two recently:

Europa - early 90's directed by Lars van Trier. I think it was called Zentropa in Europe. Interesting and slightly hallucinogenic.

A Very Long Engagement -- Early 00's. I thought this was gorgeous movie with a sweet, quirky, brutal and beautiful story.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2011 3:53 AM

'Clockwatchers' with Parker Posey, Toni Collette & Lisa Kudrow. It's a rare gem, imo.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2011 3:54 AM

Loved Clockwatchers r29?

High Art -- Ally Sheedy as an addict living at the Chelsea, and Exotica -- Bruce Davison in weird doings between a pet store and a strip club were great too.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2011 4:02 AM

Jesus of Montreal. Lothaire Bluteau as an actor restaging a passion play whose life starts to parallel that of Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2011 4:34 AM

8 Women. A French movie that came out a few years ago. Very fun & campy, amazing colors.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2011 5:03 AM

"The Baby" (1974), with Anjanette Comer and Ruth Roman, which was sold as a traditional horror movie but is an incredibly fucked-up psychological thriller.

It was released to drive-ins and grindhouses, but looking at it today the director obviously made it as a fetish film (infantilism, dominatrices, Lolita fantasies and more). But the acting is incredible and the twists up to the end are genuinely surprising.

In this scene Ruth Roman is dressed like Joan Crawford in Johnny Guitar. God only knows why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2011 5:08 AM

R21, are you thinking of "Three?" It was on TMC a year ago and starred Charlotte Rampling, Sam Waterston, and a very handsome blonde man.

The phrase "Why Not?" was included in the movie poster.

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2011 5:27 AM

"The Life of Reilly", a filmed performance of Charles Nelson Reilly's one man show. It's wonderful, and the last time he was ever on stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2011 7:13 AM

I didn't know Ruth Roman was still working in the 1970's. Weird to see her looking so rough and swearing. I'm so accustomed to her as a younger, elegant woman in Strangers On A Train. The Baby looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2011 8:01 AM

Naked Prey faacinated me as a child. It was always on late, late at night and it was years before I discovered its title and saw the film in its entirety.

Sands of the Kalahari was another that was utterly fascinating, as the survivors devolve into the baboon society that threatens them.

There's another that I still don't know the name of. It was from the late '60s or earliest of the '70s and had an EST group of swingers who become demystified by sex concluding that ears would be taboo were they covered like genitalia.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2011 11:02 AM

r13, Paperhouse is all over the web and it's really pretty mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2011 11:25 AM

"Pourquoi Pas" starred Sami Frey, one of France's sexiest actors. He was "discovered" by Brigitte Bardot, or some other big star at the time - could have been Catherine Deneuve or Dalida or Edith Fucking Piaf for all I know. Anyway he parlayed his schtuping into a co-starring and eventually acting career of his own. Then he dumped his original meal-ticket. Good actor, and hot from head to toe but not exactly the nicest man on the planet from what I heard.

"Wild Target" is another French comedy remake. The original, the hilarious "Cible Emouvante" starred two second-generation (but first rate) stars: Guillaume Depardieu, son of Gerard, and Marie Trintignant, daughter of Jean-Louis. Both of them were talented in their own right and both met early and tragic ends.

If you like French movies and/or are not put off by subtitles, you should look up "La Fille sur le Pont" (The Girl on the Bridge) an overlooked gem featuring a performance that's nothing short of luminous by Vanessa Paradis aka Mrs Johnny Depp, as a suicidal woman hooking up with a down-on-his-luck knife thrower - who uses suicidal women as target practice. It's a wonderful mix of comedy and drama, a romantic fantasy shot like a film noir. or you could just click on the link below for one of the most beautiful scenes in the history of French cinema. (sorry for what may sound like over-hype but that's really how I feel about this movie).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2011 12:15 PM

What R27 said. LOVE that film. Also, LOCAL HERO. It's like a two hour vacation.

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2011 12:28 PM

r36: Do you not remember Ruth Roman in my late 1960s Lana Turner schlockfest Love Has Many Faces?

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2011 12:54 PM

"Funeral Parade of Roses" - a japanese film from 1969 about transvestites. Look it up!

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2011 12:54 PM

Wong Kar-Wai's "In The Mood For Love" is fairly well known, as is its sequel "2046", but much less known is the first film in that trilogy called "Days Of Being Wild" (1991) with the late, great Leslie Cheung.

Maggie Cheung appears as a younger version of her character from "In The Mood For Love," and Carina Lau originates the role she reprises briefly in "2046"; in fact, her role in the latter doesn't make complete sense unless you see "Days Of Being Wild."

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2011 1:03 PM

I would love to see "Love has Many Faces" with hunky Hugh O'Brian in a skimpy swimsuit. Was he into men or women?

by Anonymousreply 44September 30, 2011 1:14 PM

I recently saw an Australian claymation film called "Mary and Max." It opened the Sundance Film Festival a couple of years ago, but was never nationally released in the U.S.

It's the story of a homely 8 year old girl named Mary in Australia with a distant, dull father and an alcoholic compulsive shoplifter for a mother. She's friendless and bullied at school. She picks a name at random from an American phone book and writes to a Max Jerry Horowitz from N.Y. city. Max Horowitz is Jewish, an atheist, obese and as friendless as Mary. He also has Asperger's Symdrome. The film spans 20 something years and depicts the relationship between these two unusual people.

It's been a long time since I've liked a movie this much. It really is something special. The claymation effects are outstanding and the characters are more real and sympathetic than most characters you'll see in movies with actual actors. And Philip Seymour Hoffman's vocal performance as Max should have won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2011 1:32 PM

Housekeeping - saw a reference to it here and rented it. Just a wonderful movie on life after loss.

The Attic Expeditions - low budget horror with great paranoid plot twists.

The Bleeding House - more of a filmed thriller play with kickass action sequences in the last half of the movie.

Eating Raul - a Mary Hartmanesque look at thriving in a down economy.

Crimes of Passion - impossible to find under $30, it features Kathleen Turner vs. Anthony Perkins as well as a killer dildo.

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2011 1:41 PM

No one will be adding Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close to this list.

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2011 3:27 PM

[quote] I would love to see "Love has Many Faces" with hunky Hugh O'Brian in a skimpy swimsuit. Was he into men or women?

About a year ago, this movie was on TCM. Sure it will come back around. As for his sexual preferance, have no idea. He married late in his 80's but I have always wondered about that too. He is hunkalicious in Where Love Has Gone. Tiny bathing suit, hairy hot looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 48September 30, 2011 4:19 PM

Of course not R47, with th talent behind that it is sure to be THE Oscar favorite this year.

by Anonymousreply 49September 30, 2011 4:23 PM

The wonderful Britsih film A PRIVATE FUNCTION.

Maggie Smith is a brilliant actress.

by Anonymousreply 50September 30, 2011 4:26 PM

Polanski's "The Ninth Gate".

by Anonymousreply 51September 30, 2011 4:28 PM

Melissa Sue Anderson in "Happy Birthday to Me"

by Anonymousreply 52September 30, 2011 4:31 PM

Curtis Harrington's "What's the Matter with Helen?" and "The Killing Kind"

"Klute" Alan J. Pakula, Jane Fonda

"Mike's Murder" Debra Winger

by Anonymousreply 53September 30, 2011 4:32 PM

Many years ago I saw a TV Guide listing for a Burt Reynolds/Goldie Hawn movie called "Best Friends" (made in 1982). My immediate thought was "oh that's probably a piece of trash". But, there was nothing much on that night so I watched it. I absolutely loved it! It certainly made me appreciate Reynolds' and Hawn's talents much more.

by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2011 4:34 PM

r51- I HATED The Ninth Gate. I tried but it made no sense to me at all.

I really loved The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford.

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2011 4:42 PM

"My sister recommended that I watch Street Scene today, she said it was really great but I couldn't do it. I hope they show it again. Sylvia Sidney was really beautiful, IMO, but she's rarely mentioned when Hollywood Golden Age beauties are discussed."

Great, gorgeous actress.

And btw often left out when we have our perennial name the Jewesses threads.

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2011 4:45 PM

I liked Best Friends too.

True Romance, a great film even though QT didn't direct it.

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2011 4:48 PM

"The Princess and the Warrior" (German: "Der Krieger und die Kaiserin:), 2000, by the director of "Run, Lola, Run". Centering on questions of fate involving the intersection of a nurse with a failed bank robber, it's interesting, and gorgeously filmed. Benno Furmann isn't half bad to look at, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2011 4:48 PM

I saw BEST FRIENDS when it was first released and all I remember was that in the last 15 minutes or so, there was a boom mike in every shot. I think it was supposed to be a "meta" sort of thing. (As they were both supposed to be in the business of making movies, romantic comedies in particular if my memory serves.) It was really obvious and, when you stopped to think about, rather clever. Anyway, I saw it on TV a few years ago and there were no boom mikes to be seen in that sequence. Does anyone know if this was just a cropping issue? Or did I assume they were there on purpose and it just got corrected when it went to video?

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2011 4:53 PM

It was a cropping issue, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2011 5:03 PM

"AKA", 2002, an autobiographical film by Duncan Roy, the only gay film that made much of an impression on me in the last decade or so. It concerns a working class gay boy in 1978 England who falls in with high society in London, oversteps, and flees to Paris assuming the identity of the son of his former benefactor. There he falls in with some idle rich wandering gays and their hangers-on, continuing his uneasy posh pretense and runs into a bit of trouble.

The film was made at little expense, and is riddled with faults, but is interesting and excellent all the same. It's the only recent gay film to raise any fundamental questions without shoving the answers into the viewer's skull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2011 5:05 PM

R59, often boom mikes used to be visible at the edge of the print when the film was shown in cinemas, but the way the image was projected onto the screen was supposed to obscure it. (I assume they just CGI it out now.) Maybe it was being projected wrong when you saw it.

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2011 5:05 PM

"Dodsworth" with Walter Huston and Mary Astor. Amazing acting and great story.

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2011 5:10 PM

"The Four Seasons" with Alan Alda, Carol Burnett, Rita Moreno. Love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2011 5:20 PM

Thanks R60 & R62. It was so insistent (and only for that one ten minute sequence) that it felt intended. Like we were watching the film of the protagonists' lives that they would eventually make.

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2011 5:29 PM

MEN WITH GUNS, a John Sayles film in Spanish set in an unnamed Latin American country, about a politically naive city doctor who goes searching in the countryside for some former students who disappeared.

Not fast paced, but very well done.

An odd but engrossing British film from the 60's called OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE, with Dirk Bogarde, Pamela Franklin, and a very young Mark Lester (before OLIVER!). About a group of children whose mother dies and their attempts to cover it up and avoid going to an orphanage. The director was Jack Clayton who did THE INNOCENTS and ROOM AT THE TOP.

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2011 5:39 PM

A Spanish film called "The Maid" about a repressed nanny's relationhip with her family. A small, insightful film that could only come from a foreign country; in the U.S. it would star Katherine Heigl, cost $100 million and all they'd be concerned about is what her hi-lites looked like.

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2011 5:51 PM

There's a great Lana Turner movie where she stars as a broadway actress and her delinquent daughter in the film hooks up with a drug dealer who laces Lana's medication with LSD. I've only seen it once and it remains in the haze of memory. I have no idea of the title.

Another great one I have no title for has Ida Lupino as the Queen of a subterranean realm who captures David Hartman from 'Good Morning, America' in a device that rips his clothes off of him.

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2011 6:03 PM

I think "Desert Bloom" with Annabeth Gish, Jon Voigt, JoBeth Williams, and Ellen Barkin is one of the most touching, well-acted movies I've ever seen. Why it is not considered a classic, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 69September 30, 2011 6:14 PM

Z by Costa Gravas - very rivetting.

Not a hidden gem, but not mentioned much any more - The Conformist.

And, of course, Les Enfants Terribles - (spelling?)

by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2011 6:25 PM

[quote] A Spanish film called "The Maid" about a repressed nanny's relationhip with her family.

I caught this on HBO Latino and agree, very interesting film. I think it was Chilean.

by Anonymousreply 71September 30, 2011 6:32 PM

Lana film is "The Big Cube" and it used to show at Film Forum before it was on dvd. The Forum paired it with "Skidoo" because of the LSD element.

by Anonymousreply 72September 30, 2011 7:16 PM

Has anyone mentioned:

WANDA (1971) directed by Barbara Loden

After a string of abusive relationships, Wanda abandons her family and seeks solace in the company of a petty criminal.

Stylistically the film is improvisational and meditative in nature, similar to the works of European directors like Robert Bresson. It is seldom seen, but strongly admired. Loden, the wife of director Elia Kazan, died from cancer before she had an opportunity to make another film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 30, 2011 7:24 PM

Love this thread. I'm taking notes.

by Anonymousreply 74September 30, 2011 8:07 PM

r73, "Wanda" is fantastic, super depressing, but fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2011 8:07 PM

I never ever wanted to see MARTY but it was on recently and I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 76September 30, 2011 8:13 PM

The Baxter

by Anonymousreply 77September 30, 2011 8:14 PM

[quote]Do you not remember Ruth Roman in my late 1960s Lana Turner schlockfest Love Has Many Faces?

R41, I've never seen this movie before but I love a good schlockfest, so I'll look for it.

by Anonymousreply 78September 30, 2011 8:26 PM

"Rain" - Fantastic NZ film from 2001 about a family vacationing on the beach in the early 70s. Very atmospheric and great soundtrack by Neil Finn. The parents relationship is coming to an end and the mom takes up with the beautiful Marton Csokas.

by Anonymousreply 79September 30, 2011 8:28 PM

r79, is Csokas pronounced Choke Us?

by Anonymousreply 80September 30, 2011 8:33 PM

[quote]A Spanish film called "The Maid" about a repressed nanny's relationhip with her family. A small, insightful film that could only come from a foreign country; in the U.S. it would star Katherine Heigl, cost $100 million and all they'd be concerned about is what her hi-lites looked like.

I agree. The Maid was worth seeing. Very good.

by Anonymousreply 81September 30, 2011 8:33 PM

I agree, R63. "Dodsworth" is one of the best movies ever made & Walter Huston was brilliant (always, but this material was worthy of his talent).

by Anonymousreply 82September 30, 2011 8:36 PM

The Game is Over (La Curee) a film by Roger Vadim with Jane Fonda and Peter McEnery. Updated from a novel by Emile Zola. In French with subtitles. A wife, married to an older very wealthy man has an affair with her studly younger stepson. It's on DVD. Fonda sued Playboy after the magazine published nude photos of her swimming in the swimming grotto set. The grotto was where Fonda and McEnery's characters conducted their affair. Apparently, a photographer snuck onto the set and snapped photos from the rafters of Fonda au natural.

by Anonymousreply 83September 30, 2011 8:39 PM

Sucker Punch--- not the fantasy flick from earlier this year. This one from the UK came out several years ago. A 'no holds barred' violent murder gone wrong flick. Guys and girls on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Shades of that Nicole Kidman flick, Dead Calm but much more lurid. Not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 84September 30, 2011 8:42 PM

Dinner Rush

by Anonymousreply 85September 30, 2011 8:46 PM

R84 here- sorry, the title of that movie is Donkey Punch not Sucker Punch.

Donkey Punch 2008 UR 95 minutes In a coastal Mediterranean paradise, seven people (Sian Breckin, Jaime Winstone, Nichola Burley, Tom Burke, Julian Morris, Robert Boulter and Jay Taylor) take their nonstop party out to sea on a luxury yacht. But when one of them mysteriously dies in a freak accident, the others come to blows over how to deal with the situation. As tensions rise, betrayal and anger emerge, and the survivors turn against one another in a desperate battle of wills.

by Anonymousreply 86September 30, 2011 8:50 PM

Robert Altman movie called Three Women (1977) with Shelley Duvall, Janice Rule and Sissy whats-her-name. I saw it at the movies in NYC when it first came out. VERY starnge and engrossing,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 30, 2011 8:56 PM

r87, I think Brewster McCloud is even weirder

by Anonymousreply 88September 30, 2011 9:16 PM

Higher Ground.

by Anonymousreply 89September 30, 2011 9:24 PM

r89, that movie is not good and Vera Farmiga is a religious whackjob.

by Anonymousreply 90September 30, 2011 9:29 PM

r90, have you seen it? She actually questions her religious beliefs. Sorry, I thought it was really insightful.

by Anonymousreply 91September 30, 2011 9:38 PM

To Forget Venice

A marvelous Italian film about two gay couples, one male couple and a Lesbian couple, all reuniting at the home of a dying aunt - incredibly deep story of mourning and two couples coming to terms with the flaws and saving graces of their relationships.

Stars Erland Josephson as half of the gay couple - he was often featured in Ingmar Bergman's films.

by Anonymousreply 92September 30, 2011 10:56 PM

Big seconds on Dodsworth and 3 Women--both deserve recognition as classics.

Speaking of Big...

Big Night with Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub, Campbell Scott, Isabella Rosselini. Lovely little movie.

And most of John Sayles' films. Lone Star my fave.

by Anonymousreply 93October 1, 2011 2:04 AM

I saw "Donkey Punch." It's just an average, run-of-the-mill thriller with explicit sex and violence. The only thing unusual about it is the "donkey punch." That's the only reason I saw it; I was just curious about the "donkey punch."

by Anonymousreply 94October 1, 2011 2:14 AM

r91, yes, I've seen it and Vera did a Q&A afterward during she visibly shrank in her seat as the moderator described it as "another movie about a cult," a description which fit the majority reaction of the audience to the film. Her character may have questioned her beliefs, but she stayed in what amounted to an abusive relationship with "god" through to the last frame.

by Anonymousreply 95October 1, 2011 3:33 AM

A not very successful (at the time) film from Bette Davis late Warner Brothers years:

Winter Meeting

I found it a very mature, adult film about being lonely and single.

by Anonymousreply 96October 1, 2011 3:41 AM

I think that, because of American cinema, Australia has become a source of excellent films. The gift that America gave Australia is the idea that, in order to be successful, a film must follow a formula and be predictable. The gift that Australia gave the world was the idea that a film can look like it follows the conventions, and then rewards the viewer by breaking those conventions.

My suggestion for a great piece of relatively unknown cinema is the film "Proof," starring Hugo Weaving and an ingenue Russell Crowe.

by Anonymousreply 97October 1, 2011 3:46 AM

"Being There" Peter Sellers/ Shirley MacClaine

by Anonymousreply 98October 1, 2011 3:46 AM

Birdy. Stunning, understated performances by Matt Modine and Nic Cage. That movie also gave me a lifelong appreciation for Peter Gabriel's music.

by Anonymousreply 99October 1, 2011 4:21 AM

Lantana

by Anonymousreply 100October 1, 2011 10:14 AM

And of course R97, MY BRILLIANT CAREER

by Anonymousreply 101October 1, 2011 11:32 AM

Hogfather.Can't read terry pratchet but I love his film adaptions.

by Anonymousreply 102October 1, 2011 11:53 AM

LOVED Lantana! THanks for mentioning it and reminding me r100.

by Anonymousreply 103October 1, 2011 12:31 PM

Apartment Zero. Set in paranoid junta Argentina, features sexual tension between prissy Colin Firth and sexy murderer Hart Bochner.

Twist and Shout. Moving Scandinavian movie about family secrets and two boys' friendship.

The Sweet Hereafter. The repercussions in families/communities after an accidental death. Immaculately structured, deeply sad reflection on memory and love.

by Anonymousreply 104October 1, 2011 1:00 PM

I friggin' LOVE "Rudy" with Sean Astin! And the fact that it is a true story makes it even better. I am a sucker for inspirational sports movies- "Miracle", "We Are Marshall", "The Final Season" (also with Sean Astin). "The Blind Side", and "The Mighty Macs" which is finally being released in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 105October 1, 2011 7:52 PM

Could someone recommend any good documentaries? The last ones I saw, and liked, were 'Capturing the Friedmans' and 'Crazy in Love'.

by Anonymousreply 106October 1, 2011 11:04 PM

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is a great docmentary...

by Anonymousreply 107October 1, 2011 11:14 PM

Thanks to the poster who mentioned John Sayles. My favorite of his is THE BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET. Sweet, gentle, with touches of pure genius. The late Gene Siskel used to rave about this film; I say it only recently and I understand why.

I love all French New Wave, but CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 by the great Agnes Varda is fabulous.

Keep these coming; I too am taking notes!

by Anonymousreply 108October 1, 2011 11:41 PM

[quote]My favorite of his is THE BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET.

I haven't seen that in years, but I still remember bits of it. I loved the aliens' visit to the government office. They're pressuring the bureaucrat to answer questions and he responds by handing them stacks of forms to fill out to obtain assistance.

by Anonymousreply 109October 1, 2011 11:47 PM

[quote]Could someone recommend any good documentaries? The last ones I saw, and liked, were 'Capturing the Friedmans' and 'Crazy in Love'.

I really liked "Young at Heart" about a choir made up of elderly men and women. They sing rock music. Very heart-warming and fun.

by Anonymousreply 110October 1, 2011 11:55 PM

Chilly Scenes of Winter, directed by Joan Silver. Mary Beth Hurt and John Heard at their finest.

Indiscreet with Cary Grant and Ingrid Berman. Sophisticated comedy at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 111October 2, 2011 12:07 AM

A couple documentaries:

Love her or hate her, Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work makes for a good documentary.

51 Birch Street, an intimate, not at all sensational, moving look at the filmmaker's parents.

by Anonymousreply 112October 2, 2011 1:22 AM

Haiku Tunnel - I lived this.

by Anonymousreply 113October 2, 2011 1:29 AM

"Our Sons"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 2, 2011 11:28 AM

Dawson's One Load Weekend.

The forgotten dewy 'Is this gonna hurt much, mister?' debut.

The original chink in the dam.

The first misty watercolored dewy droplets of a semen tsunami.

It just leaves you wanting more.

by Anonymousreply 115October 2, 2011 12:06 PM

Monsieur Klein/Mr. Klein with Alain Delon. Delicious Alain in a Kafkaesque nightmare. Yummm.

by Anonymousreply 116October 9, 2011 4:22 AM

Quick question.

I was going to see The Lion King in 3D today, but I just want to see the movie normally without the 3D glasses. There was also a 2D showing last week that is now gone. My question is, if I watch the 3D version without the glasses, is it the same as the 2D version, or are there inbuilt alterations made to the 3d print that will make it look unusual without the 3D glasses?

I'm hoping it looks just like the normal version if I don't wear the 3D glasses.

by Anonymousreply 117October 9, 2011 4:32 PM

r117, it will look unfocused to you.

by Anonymousreply 118October 9, 2011 4:45 PM

Thank you, R118.

by Anonymousreply 119October 9, 2011 4:49 PM

Can anyone recommend any indie movies or documentaries? The last doc I liked was Capturing the Friedmans.

And what about foreign language movies from the last 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 120October 11, 2011 11:36 AM

[quote]And what about foreign language movies from the last 10 years?

The Lives of Others - One of the best movies I've seen in the past ten years.

Jodha Akbar - This is a big, historical spectacle, a bit long, but lots to look at.

Persepolis - Animated, in French, by an Iranian woman who grew up in Iran after the revolution. Voiced by Chiara Mastroianni and Catherine Deneuve.

by Anonymousreply 121October 11, 2011 11:47 AM

There's an adventure film called Dark of the Sun (or The Mercenaries) and it's so terrific. Rod Taylor, Jim Brown and Yvette Mimieux in the jungle fighting off Nazis and revolutionaries. Terrific score, great location photography and just generally captivating. Hardly anyone knows about it.

As for Hugh O'Brian, he was a bachelor his entire life until his marriage at 80-something! He was allegedly a real player with the ladies, but gentlemanly and discreet about it. He used to be tight with Hugh Hefner, who some folks thought he resembled and who he played a variation of on at least one occasion. I think he must have been at least bi. Just my own take on him.

by Anonymousreply 122October 11, 2011 1:10 PM

R122- DARK OF THE SUN is shown on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 123October 11, 2011 1:31 PM

Portrait of Jennie: Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotton, Ethel Barrymore, Cecil Kellaway. Superb, moody and beautiful

by Anonymousreply 124October 11, 2011 1:32 PM

"i've heard the mermaids singing"- a canadian film from '87, about the fantasy world of a temp worker;

"an angel at my table"- jane campion directs a biopic about author janet frame, from 1990.

"prick up your ears"- one of my all-time favorites, stars a YOUNG gary oldman as playwright joe orton, and alfred molina as his murderous boyfriend.

hmm, these are all from about the same time. i saw them all at the inwood theater in dallas, texas.

by Anonymousreply 125October 11, 2011 2:14 PM

Mary & Max (2009) with Toni Collette and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Had never heard of it before and wanted something 'light' to watch on a plane. It's an animated film but ended up being an excellent movie, and possibly one of the only films I've ever cried in.

by Anonymousreply 126October 11, 2011 2:52 PM

There's a French documentary from about ten years ago called "The Gleaners and I" by new wave director Agnes Varda.

It's about scavenging the unwanted- particularly food, but the meaning extends much farther than that in the movie. It's quite emotionally moving and really makes you think about the values of our post-agricultural global economy.

by Anonymousreply 127October 11, 2011 3:14 PM

"Nothing But a Man," with Abbey Lincoln and Ivan Dixon. It's wonderful film about a black guy experiencing prejudice from white and black people in the 60s Deep South. I fell in love with this a few years ago when PBS aired it, and I've viewed it several times since. Totally riveting in every way. Its small budget gave it a very atmospheric feel. I highly suggest it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 11, 2011 3:47 PM

"Could someone recommend any good documentaries? The last ones I saw, and liked, were 'Capturing the Friedmans' and 'Crazy in Love'."

Here are a few I would recommend:

"A Lion In The House". A film about children with cancer. Very sad, but very affecting and moving.

"So Much So Fast" The story of Stephen and Jamie Heywood. Stephen is afflicted with ALS; his brother Jamie quites his job and starts a scientific research team to ferret out new treatments for the disease (given the small number of people who deal with ALS, few drug companies have stepped forward with medicines to ease its symptoms, believing that they could not turn a profit on the drugs).

"Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father" The filmmaker's dear friend Andrew Bagby was murdered by a nutso former girlfriend; later the nutso girlfriend gives birth to Andrew's baby. Andrew's parents have to make nice with their son's killer in order to see their grandson. The filmmaker thought his film about Andrew would be a gift to his son, but events take an unbelieveably horrible turn.

"Streetwise" A film about street kids in Seattle.

"Marlene" Documentary about Marlene Dietrich, directed by Maximilian Schnell.

"Sex Positive" Here's a brief synopsis of this movie: "a revolutionary gay S&M hustler turned AIDS activist in the 1980s, whose incomparable contribution to the invention of safe sex has never been aptly credited. Mr. Berkowitz emerged from the epicenter of the epidemic demanding a solution to the problem before the outside world would take heed. Now destitute and alone, Mr. Berkowitz tells his story to a world who never wanted to listen."

by Anonymousreply 129October 11, 2011 4:21 PM

Nothing in Common. Tom Hanks is a self-absorbed yuppie son dealing with aging parents, played by Eva Marie Saint and Jackie Gleason in his last film role.

by Anonymousreply 130October 11, 2011 4:35 PM

Until a third act which falls under the weight of what up until that was an ingenious script, I'd say Otto Preminger's "Until the Sidewalk Ends," with Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney.

The premise - a brutal cop on probation who accidentally and in self defense kills an out of control drunk he is questioning, covers it up and falls in love with the daughter of the man suspected of the murder - is great. Preminger's direction is superb and it begins looking like another great movie from the director and stars of "Laura." But it too soon becomes clear that Andrews' character is not smart enough and the story doesn't know how to build on its strong core. And Gary Merrill doesn't quite make it as the heavy.

Another movie that is worth seeing which I caught last night on on demand is Lars von Trier's upcoming Melancholia. I don't want to oversell it except to say that Kirsten Dunst who won best actress at Cannes is superb as is Charlotte Gainsbourg as her sister. Unfortunately, the film has gotten more attention for Von Trier's idiotic Nazi comments than for it's intriguing portrayal of depression as juxtaposed with the cosmos. Pretentious but irresistible and Dunst's work shows an intelligence and maturity that will surprise a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 131October 11, 2011 4:40 PM

"Mother, May I Sleep With Danger." Of course, I would've altered the ending, but I'm not one to quibble.

by Anonymousreply 132October 11, 2011 5:32 PM

In what universe is the highly acclaimed, oscar winning "The Lives of Others" a "hidden gem"?

by Anonymousreply 133October 11, 2011 8:47 PM

Natural Born Killers. Fasten your seat belt before the first scene gets under way.

by Anonymousreply 134October 12, 2011 1:23 AM

'You Can Count On Me' (2000) - Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo. 'nuff said.

'Shattered Glass' (2003) - Hayden Christensen (he's actually good in it), Peter Saarsgard (also 'nuff said).

by Anonymousreply 135October 12, 2011 1:52 AM

Pigs and Battleships - new wave Japanese crime thriller about a teenager who enters into the Yakuza as a way to a better life for him and his prostitute girlfriend. Poignant, stylish with a heap of social commentary.

Taking Off - Milos Forman's first American movie starring Buck Henry as an uptight suburbanite looking for his daughter in the counter-culture wastelands of the east village circa 1971. Absurdist humor at its best, with some truly hysterical moments - and with an AMAZING cast: Audra Lindley, Paul Benedict, Vincent Schiavelli.

Jack Be Nimble - gothic horror movie out of New Zealand starring a young Alexis Arquette as an orphan adopted by an evil family who tortures him until he builds a device that hypnotizes people to do his bidding. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Dusty and Sweets McGee - gripping, quasi-verite melodrama about a bunch of heroin addicts in Los Angeles in the 70s. The cinematography is just ravishing, and perfectly captures the schizophrenic sun-drenched beauty of southern california...set to a truly amazing soundtrack. Harrowing, but exhilarating - starring Billy Gray from Father Knows Best.

by Anonymousreply 136October 12, 2011 2:46 AM

Istvan Szabo's "Meeting Venus" (1991): a Hungarian conductor (Niels Arestrup) attempts to mount an ambitious, multinational production of "Tannhauser" during the "new Europe". He must deal with singers' egos, unionized musicians and stagehands, wishy-washy front office management, and a temperamental Swedish diva (Glenn Close), with whom the married conductor unwisely enters into an affair.

Opera fans will immediately recognize Kiri Te Kanawa standing in for Glenn's singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 137October 12, 2011 5:36 AM

Not completely hidden but not many have seen it...I really REALLY love the movie "Bobby" written and directed by Emilio Estevez. It's set at the Ambassador Hotel during the 1968 California primary when RFK was assassinated. It has an all-star cast and, in my opinion, the best work some of the stars have done. I think Sharon Stone should have won the supporting actress Oscar for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 13, 2011 10:00 AM

"Something For Everyone"

Konrad, a handsome country boy in post-war Austria, charms his way into a butler position at the castle of a widowed countess that lost her fortune. Before long the opportunistic boy is running the entire household. As he starts affairs with both the countess son and the daughter of a wealthy businessman, the idea grows to get his two lovers to marry each other and make the house rich again.

A farcical and hilarious movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 13, 2011 11:29 AM

My newest:

Dean Spanley, 2008, Toa Fraser's (who?) drolly directed adaptation of Lord Dunsany's novella.

Jeremy Northam, as always, adorable Bryan Browne is a hoot Peter O'Toole is outrageously funny Sam Neil is brilliant

A hilarious madcap script

instantly watchable on netflix

A find.

by Anonymousreply 140October 13, 2011 6:42 PM

[italic]What About Bob[/italic] -- The 1991 comedy stars Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss as patient and doctor. During a trip to New Hampshire, we find just which is which. Frank Oz directed the comedy, and it is somewhat hidden (and a gem). Co-stars Julie Haggerty.

by Anonymousreply 141October 13, 2011 7:23 PM

'The Furies' starring Barbara Stanwyck, Walter Huston, Judith Anderson. A psychologically complex western with great black & white cinematography and some knockout performances by Stanwyck and Huston. Directed by Anthony Mann from 1950.

Another vote for "The Maid' a Chilean film with a superb performance from Catalina Saavedra as Raquel, the family maid. Feeling she is overworked, her employers hire a series of assistants for her all of which are sabotaged by Raquel. A wonderful dark comedy.

by Anonymousreply 142October 13, 2011 9:20 PM

r142, it was also Walter Huston's last film before he died. And it is a great film, one of Stanwyck's better 50s vehicles. The scene between her and Judith Anderson with the scissors is one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 143October 14, 2011 1:20 AM

TCM played one yesterday, The Devil by the Tail, a French farce about a batty family with a name, but no money, who turns their country estate into a bed and breakfast. Yves Montand in a rare comic role as a bankrobber who ends up there. Maria Schell, looking luminous. Marthe Keller, all legs in the very short skirts of the day (1969.) Music by the gifted Georges Delerue. It was very charming and quite amusing, too!

by Anonymousreply 144October 14, 2011 12:26 PM

I love "The Celebration". Highly recommended Danish dark comedy drama about family Get together for the partriarch's birthday that goes horribly wrong. Can't say much without giving a lot away.

by Anonymousreply 145October 14, 2011 3:24 PM

Perhaps qualifies as "hidden" in the U.S., Claude Chabrol's La Ceremonie, with Isabelle Huppert, Sandrine Bonnaire and Jackie Bisset, riveting thriller with Huppert and Bonnaire as misfits is drag out class warfare.

"The Maid" with Saavedra, also a great film, reminded me of this one.

The Korean film "Mother" from last year is superb.

Anyone know why Miramax's "Dean Spanley" with it's stellar cast was so low profile? It's a sweet, hilarious and touching film with a perfectly light touch. Was it released in the U.S.?

Finally, "Weekend" currently playing is perhaps the best gay romance in years.

by Anonymousreply 146October 14, 2011 3:45 PM

Is "Pourquoi Pas" different than the German movie "Maybe...Maybe not?" because I liked that one but it isn't any menage a trois. It is a gay guy who successfully seduces a straight guy.

by Anonymousreply 147October 14, 2011 7:54 PM

This thread is a goldmine. I hope it will go on forever.

"I'm watching as fast as I can."

by Anonymousreply 148October 15, 2011 12:11 AM

Yes, a treasure trove here, my queue is back up now!

"The Nights of Cabiria" (1957 Fellini) this is the original Sweet Charity. Italian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 15, 2011 12:35 AM

And speaking of Italian neo-realism, "The Bicycle Thief" is on TCM Saturday night at 8pm Eastern.

I don't think I can watch it again but I certainly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 150October 15, 2011 12:59 AM

Ginger Snaps

by Anonymousreply 151October 15, 2011 1:02 AM

APARTMENT FOR PEGGY (1948), Edmund Gwenn's forgotten follow-up to MIRACLE ON 34th STREET.

A completely beguiling film of young college kids (William Holden at his prettiest and Jeanne Crain's best and most animated performance EVER) and an elderly professor.

When it was released, Bosley Crowther of the Times creamed over it. He thought it superior to MIRACLE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 15, 2011 1:04 AM

I love that movie...a gem! "the bicycle theives"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 15, 2011 1:05 AM

Another vote for Dean Spanley. Worth it just for Sam O'Neill's monologues alone.

by Anonymousreply 154October 15, 2011 3:04 AM

Goofy, bad-made movie: "In the Spirit." It's entertaining because Marlo Thomas (!) and Elaine May work together so well in it.

by Anonymousreply 155October 15, 2011 3:07 AM

[quote]'The Furies' starring Barbara Stanwyck, Walter Huston, Judith Anderson. A psychologically complex western with great black & white cinematography and some knockout performances by Stanwyck and Huston. Directed by Anthony Mann from 1950

I LOVE this movie. Stanwyck is fantastic. Gilbert Roland also has a great turn as her childhood friend.

by Anonymousreply 156October 15, 2011 3:09 AM

Searching For The Wrong-Eyed Jesus

by Anonymousreply 157October 15, 2011 3:09 AM

This is the French movie from 1979 "Pourquoi Pas" The German movie is from 1994.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 15, 2011 3:09 AM

Just the ads for "Pourquoi pas" when it played at the Prytania Theater in New Orleans made my little gay heart flutter back in '78.

by Anonymousreply 159October 15, 2011 3:12 AM

THE RAPTURE starring Mimi Rogers

So true, so scary, so rivetting. Mimi Rogers plays a woman who goes from aimless, depressed atheist to Christian fundie waiting for the Rapture to arrive, back to losing her faith.

Her performance is spectacular and wonderful, and unlike most movies, her character has an arc. She's a completely different person at the end as at the beginning.

She's also better in it than about 90 percent of Academy Award winners.

by Anonymousreply 160October 15, 2011 3:16 AM

[quote]Just the ads for "Pourquoi pas" when it played at the Prytania Theater in New Orleans made my little gay heart flutter back in '78

I used to keep the big poster of coming attractions at the Prytania on my refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 161October 15, 2011 3:16 AM

Kind Hearts and Coronets.

by Anonymousreply 162October 15, 2011 3:24 AM

"The Curse of the Cat People." When I was in 3rd grade, my mother and I saw this film on Creature Features. We thought it was going to be a horror film, but it turned out to be a beautiful look into the mind of a lonely child. Very moody and atmospheric. I read it was somewhat of a sequel to "Cat People," with some of the same actors playing the same characters--but I've never seen the first. I just ordered the DVD, which has both films, plus commentary.

by Anonymousreply 163October 15, 2011 3:30 AM

Laugh all you want but..... Titanic.

Finally got around to watching it (all over the TV of late) and it really hit a nerve....

especially at the end when the old lady is dreaming and the Titanic is restored to its former glory.

And, after the movie, I jumped on the internet and read all about the sinking of the titanic.

One thing I know for certain--- men of today would definitely not follow the policy of women and children first.

On a side note, Clint Eastwood's ex was perfect as the ice cold mother.

by Anonymousreply 164October 15, 2011 3:34 AM

So, r164, you think "Titanic" is an undiscovered "hidden gem" of a movie, is that what you are saying?

by Anonymousreply 165October 15, 2011 3:40 AM

The ruling class. Just watched it. Peter otoole is amazing. The satire is the best.

by Anonymousreply 166October 15, 2011 3:44 AM

For me, yes r165

by Anonymousreply 167October 15, 2011 3:54 AM

"Thieves" starring Marlo Thomas and Charles Grodin, made in 1977. A true gem of a film.

"Fearless" starring Jeff Bridges and Rosie Perez. Although Perez was nominated for an Oscar for this (it's the only time I've ever been able to watch her), it disappeared from the theaters very quickly, despite its strong reviews.

"Angie" starring Geena Davis in one of her early roles. I know the reviews weren't that good, but I really loved this film.

by Anonymousreply 168October 15, 2011 4:06 AM

Other than r164, I like the spirit of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 169October 15, 2011 11:36 AM

Don't be mean, R165. Maybe R164 has been in a coma for 14 years.

by Anonymousreply 170October 15, 2011 12:38 PM

I remember Pourgois Pas? as a wonderful film, it presented life and love the way it out to be. I think Three was a remake of it, but not as good, but never saw it, so....

Another vote for Local Hero, which is just pure magic-and a great score as well, by Mark Knopfler.

I am also a huge fan of Bedrooms and Hallways, with Kevin McKidd, James Purefoy, Simon Callow, Harriet Walter, Jennifer Ehle, Hugo Weaving, and the ubersexy Con O'Neill. Another wonderful examination of "fluid" sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 171October 15, 2011 1:01 PM

THE RAPTURE starring Mimi Rogers. One of the eeriest movies I have ever seen and Mimi is spectacular in it. An unforgettable movie.

by Anonymousreply 172October 15, 2011 1:37 PM

Another joy of "Dean Spanley" is Judy Parfitt. What a cast!

by Anonymousreply 173October 15, 2011 1:39 PM

I never liked Local Hero even though an unrequited love of mine adored it. That whiny lead actor was just so annoying....

by Anonymousreply 174October 16, 2011 2:34 AM

The Station Agent

Rodger Dodger

The Spanish Prisoner

The ApriL Fools

Save the Tiger

The Daytrippers

Falling in Love

Love with the Proper Stranger

(second) The Sweet Hereafter

Truly, Madly, Deeply

The Winter Guest

Nobody's Fool

Lawndogs

Priest

For a Lost Soldier

That's a start...

by Anonymousreply 175October 16, 2011 2:35 AM

Two underrated Barbara Stanwyck holiday gems - NOT "Christmas in Connecticut" either. "Remember the Night" (1940) with Fred MacMurray and "My Reputation" with George Brent from 1944, which she made right after "Double Indemity". Both films take place during the Christmas holiday season and feature Babs at her best.

by Anonymousreply 176October 16, 2011 2:57 AM

R172, I mentioned THE RAPTURE upthread, I had pretty much the same reaction as you. Mimi *was* spectacular, wasn't she?

Of course it's not surprising it wasn't a hit -- way too irreverent in its treatment of religion - I'm just grateful it even got made at all.

by Anonymousreply 177October 16, 2011 4:15 AM

According to dl, "Titanic" has always been 1 of the worst movies ever made.

Don't even get them started on Celine Dion and the theme song.

by Anonymousreply 178October 16, 2011 4:34 AM

I'm going to second a few listed here:

To Live - Chinese melodrama that tells the story of a family, using China's history as a backdrop (Revolution, Great Leap Forward, Cultural Revolution). Somewhat sappy, but a gem nonetheless.

Princess and the Warrior - Just really well done, and beautifully shot, as mentioned above

The Maid - Chilean gem

Voy a explotar: I don't even know if you can find this around, but it's a Mexican movie from 2009 about two very young lovers in Guanajuato who do very stupid things in order to be together. I didn't like it upon watching it, but it really stuck with me. The title means "I'm going to explode," and it really transmits that feeling of urgency and end-of-the-worldness about young love.

Come and See: Russian movie from 1986 about the German invasion of Belarus. Many incredibly, incredibly intense scenes, but also extremely artistic. One of the best movies I've seen, and the BEST war movie I've ever seen.

Sweet Hereafter: Beautiful film.

by Anonymousreply 179October 16, 2011 5:25 AM

I second [bold]The Daytrippers[/bold] (I love these kinds of dysfunctional families) and [bold]The Station Agent[/bold] (also quirky loners like these). You might also like:

[bold]Unhook the Stars[/bold] - Gena Rowlands as an older woman at a loss when her kids move out and she has no one to care for like she's used to all her life, so she becomes involved in the troubled life of a younger neighbour among others. Marisa Tomei is good in this.

[bold]Italian for Beginners[/bold] - Charming Danish film about the lives of a group attending the same Italian language class.

In the same spirit, small, charming and funny, [bold]Waking Ned Devine[/bold]. Film about the inhabitants of a remote Irish village who win the lottery.

[bold]The Best of Youth[/bold] - With the turbulent backdrop of Italian history the 60's to the present, this epic revolves around two brothers and the radically different paths their lives take following a single incident. It does flirt with cheesy at some points but, overall, a major triumph. Almost 8 hours of your life, but well spent.

Spanish films [bold]Bad Education[/bold] and [bold]Talk to Her[/bold] - Viva Pedro Almadovar. Enough said.

[bold]La Haine[/bold] - Gritty French film from the nineties predating the riots from a few years ago.

Again, [bold]The Celebration[/bold], - This Danish film about a family reunion that turns ugly manages to tackle a serious subject yet remain strangely funny. One of my favourite films ever.

Is [bold]High Fidelity[/bold] with John Cussack and Jack Black(I know) a "hidden gem"? - I so identified with Cussack's character and liked it better than [bold]About a Boy[/bold] also adapted from a Nick Hornby book.

[bold]Depatures[/bold] - Japanese film about a man who is forced to return to his small home town and unexpectedly gets into the business of preparing dead bodies for funerals.

[bold]Crazy in Love[/bold] - Documentary about the really strange and scary love story of an elderly New York jewish couple (people really are weird).

I've mentioned [bold]Capturing the Friedmans[/bold] - which really isn't that "hidden" but, for me, the best documentary of it's kind.

[bold]The Class[/bold] - French gem set in a school in one of Paris' rougher districts.

Two French masterpieces: [bold]The Piano Teacher[/bold] and [bold]The School of Flesh[/bold] - Isabelle Hupert, not Meryl Streep, is truly the greatest actress of our time.

[bold]Mysterious Skin[/bold] - Greg Araki's only palatable film, if you ask me. And what a masterpiece it is. Difficult subject handled expertly. Joseph Gordon-Levitt didn't get the accolades he deserves.

and finally,

"The Son's Room" - Touching Italian gem about a Genovese upper middle class family and how they deal with the loss of their son.

These, I saw within the last year and I could go on and on, but have to accept we all have varied tastes and people might even think these are crap. But I really liked them. and honestly think they should more like these.

And thanks for the suggestions, I'm hearing very good things about [bold]The Maid[/bold] and [bold]Weekend[/bold] and can't wait to see them.

by Anonymousreply 180October 16, 2011 12:42 PM

House Of Games. Best thing Joe Mantegna ever did this side of Fat Tony. God I hate it that David Mamet is such a douche in real life.

by Anonymousreply 181October 16, 2011 12:52 PM

Me too, r181. I can't stand Mamet's right wing poltics but he's a great writer. "Glengary Glen Ross" is a great play and film and "The Winslow Boy" is a beautiful film also.

by Anonymousreply 182October 16, 2011 1:42 PM

Babette's Feast - always reminds me of Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 183October 16, 2011 1:57 PM

I recently watched a movie called Tadpole about a 15 year old who falls in love with his step mother.

It is a VERY low budget indie, coming-of-age movie starring a guy called Aaron Stanford, and also Sigourney Weaver, John Ritter and Bebe Neuwirth. Weaver gave a great performance as the mother.

by Anonymousreply 184October 16, 2011 1:59 PM

I LOVE "Tadpole", r184. Aaron Stanford, Sigourney Weaver and Bebe Neuwirth were all awesome.

by Anonymousreply 185October 16, 2011 2:09 PM

It wasn't hidden in its day, but I haven't met anyone else in their 20s who's seen The Quiet Man.

by Anonymousreply 186October 16, 2011 2:29 PM

Two British films that may count as 'hidden gems' are:

'Withnail & I' (starring Richard E Grant). This film gained notoriety among students in the 1990s, and was a big sleeper hit. It remains one of my favourite films thanks to Uncle Monty.

'Brazil' by Terry Gilliam (also made Time Bandits). This is dystopian, bleak satire (strangely featuring Robert De Niro). It kicks most dystopian movies out of the water. (Currently on BBC iplayer for UK posters).

by Anonymousreply 187October 16, 2011 2:50 PM

Another hidden gem - 'The Wave' - a German movie.

This was based on a real-life, classroom experiment conducted in the US about how dictatorships emerge.

by Anonymousreply 188October 16, 2011 2:51 PM

MANY will disagree here, but I loved "Stepping Out" with Liza and Shelley Winters". I thought is was very sweet and charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 16, 2011 2:55 PM

A few months ago I had insomnia. I turned on Turner, and this interesting move had just began, " The Loved One". The black and white cinematography is great fun and it was hilarious, it is John waters meets Hitchcock for a quick description. Robert Morse,Jonathan Winters,Anjanette Comer,Dana Andrews,Milton Berle,James Coburn,John Gielgud,Tab Hunter,Margaret Leighton,Liberace,Roddy McDowall,Robert Morleyt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 18, 2011 2:22 AM

"Cartouche" (1964), a French swashbuckler starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Claudia Cardinale, that I added to my Netflix queue on a lark. It's very entertaining, with some great visual comedy (such as the scene in which an entire room is wiped clean by thieves) and Belmondo and Cardinale are a joy to watch.

by Anonymousreply 191October 18, 2011 2:45 AM

PARTING GLANCES -- maybe the best movie ever about gay NY in the time of AIDS. A PERFECT WORLD -- small Clint Eastwood movie with an ending that'll knock you out. LAST SUMMER -- Loved it as an adolescent and it holds up -- despite the always irritating Barbara Hershey. IT ALWAYS RAINS ON SUNDAY -- great English noir about East London. Great thread.

by Anonymousreply 192October 18, 2011 2:52 AM

Alexander Sokurov's "Russian Ark"; also "Father and Son" with its amazing homoeroticism (vehemently denied by Sokurov). I would watch all of Sokurov but that's all Netflix had of him back when I had Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 193October 18, 2011 5:36 AM

X Y & Zee (1971)

Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Caine, Susannah York

The venomous and amoral wife of a wealthy architect tries, any way she can, to break up the blossoming romance between her husband and his new mistress; a good-natured young widow who holds a dark past.

Fun stuff, great early seventies sets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194October 19, 2011 9:57 PM

"Nobody Knows": A Japanese film that won the young boy who potrays the oldest brother the best actor award at the Cannes film festival. He remains the youngest winner in the history of Cannes. One of the most haunting films I have ever seen, and the ending was shattering.

"The Story of Adele H.": Imho, this is the best film Truffaut ever directed. The acting, the screenplay, the cinematography are all pitch perfect. Based on the true story of Victor Hugo's daughter.

"Bunny Lake is Missing": An Otto Preminger film that deserves more than it has received. Eerie, and for its time, more than a bit shocking in terms of what is suggested by Preminger. I have never understood why this film never has taken on cult status.

"Five Corners": Produced by George Harrison of the Beatles for his Hand Made Productions and starring Jodie Foster. Weird, funny, and also dark and unsettling. All of the pieces do not quite fit together, but how anyone can resist the strange charms of this one is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 195October 19, 2011 10:37 PM

[quote]"Cartouche" (1964), a French swashbuckler starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Claudia Cardinale,

You might take a look at [italic]Fanfan La Tulipe[/italic], another French swashbuckler with Gerard Philippe. He's adorable and so is Gina Lollabrigida.

by Anonymousreply 196October 19, 2011 10:41 PM

3 films;

Blonde Venus (1932): Marlene Dietrich redeeming soap opera nonsense; Notable for Dietrich's cabaret songs, especially one number that was done just to pi$$ off Hitler (Hot Voodoo), depending on what source you believe. Has Dietrich entering a nightclub, then taking off a gorilla suit. Features a very young, absolutely gorgeous Cary Grant. Strong lesbian undercurrents to the plot.

Baby Face (1933):Young Barbara Stanwyck kills her father who pimps her out to anyone who will pay, then comes to New York City and sleeps her way to the top (of an extremely tall skyscraper), starting in the mail room. Notable for a handsome, early John Wayne before he found his niche in westerns, and she is rewarded for her behavior. Got censors in an tizzy, and a moralistic voiceover ending is slapped on the end of the film;the stars were all unavailable for retakes.

Captain Blood (1935): Ignore the romance and just enjoy the beefcake on display in Errol Flynns' first starring movie. Everyone seems to be having a great time on this tongue-in-cheek pirate swashbuckler that has very definite homoerotic overtones.

by Anonymousreply 197October 19, 2011 11:30 PM

Ranger @ R195, thanks for reminding me about 'Five Corners', a great movie, though a little disturbing.

I'd like to sing the praises of a couple of Cronenburg films: hardly obscure but if you haven't seen HIS 'Crash' or 'eXistenZ' you really ought to rectify that.

by Anonymousreply 198October 20, 2011 2:08 AM

I don't remember the name of it but it was a movie about sabre-tooth vampires from the stone age.

by Anonymousreply 199October 22, 2011 2:57 AM

The Hurt Locker

I know I know it is not a gem per se, but I hadn't seen it in the cinemas when it came out, and just recently caught it on the tele, and it is a mangnificent film

by Anonymousreply 200October 22, 2011 4:37 AM

You want hidden gems? Watch THE MUDGE BOY or EYE OF GOD or BORSTAL BOY or I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER or TWIN FALLS, IDAHO or SOMERS TOWN and you will be sobbing into your pillow for nights to come.

by Anonymousreply 201October 22, 2011 4:51 AM

"See It My Way". It's a little-known Helen Lawson movie in which her character goes blind and she tries to save a local stray dog from being gassed by volunteering to train it as a seeing-eye dog.

It's sort of "Dark Victory" meets "the Miracle Worker" meets "Old Yeller". Very moving.

by Anonymousreply 202October 22, 2011 5:17 AM

Ah, The Mudge Boy! Who doesn't like to see Emile Hirsch get raped?

LOVE Twin Falls, Idaho. Really moving.

by Anonymousreply 203October 22, 2011 5:24 AM

Did anybody else see "The Black Book" (aka "Reign of Terror," 1949) the other night on TCM? Basically, the French Revolution meets film noir, as Robert Cummings and Arlene Dahl frantically search Paris for Robespierre's list of names for the guillotine (a classic McGuffin); the plot is a bit silly, but Anthony Mann directs the hell out of the material and John Alton's b&w cinematography is simply jaw-dropping.

by Anonymousreply 204October 22, 2011 6:31 AM

The Small Back Room a/k/a Hour of Glory - a Powell/Pressburger WWII movie, not as glorious as the Red Shoes or Black Narcissus, but worth seeing. It stars David Farrar and Kathleen Byron, who were also in Black Narcissus (Sister Ruth). It's about a weapons developer with girlfriend problems and drinking problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 22, 2011 7:09 AM

Five Corners

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 22, 2011 2:41 PM

THE DRVER'S SEAT (1974)

Elizabeth Taylor / Ian Bannen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 28, 2011 3:21 AM

"Affliction." This movie was nominated for several Oscars (and won one; James Coburn won best supporting actor for his role in this), but I don't think many people saw it. It starred Nick Nolte; it's VERY depressing but very worthwhile. Nolte's performance was riveting and was nominated for an Oscar. But he (and Ian McKellen and Ed Norton, all of whom gave outstanding performances that year) lost to that yammering idiot Roberto Benigni. Benigni winning the Best Actor Oscar that year is one of the major travesties of the Academy Awards.

Speaking of depressing movies, there's one that comes immediately to mind: "Testament." Released in 1983, it starred Jane Alexander (she was nominated for an Oscar, but lost to Shirley MacLaine) and told the story of a woman and her children and neighbors after a nuclear attack on the U.S. by an unnamed enemy. It's wonderfully acted and moving, but oh my God, so sad! One of the saddest movies I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 208October 28, 2011 1:55 PM

I agree, r208, Affliction is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 209October 28, 2011 5:42 PM

R 180 - you have amazing taste in movies. I want to marry you!

by Anonymousreply 210October 28, 2011 6:32 PM

Maybe not hidden but indeed a gem is The Crying Game. Wonderful love story, well written, well-photographed and great acting especially from Stephen Rey, Forest Whittaker and the amazing Jaye Davidson, whose acting career seemed to end all too soon.

by Anonymousreply 211October 28, 2011 7:00 PM

Oh my fucking god R138 you think that steaming pile is a gem? Jesus fucking Christ that "film" eats cock. WORST movie I have ever seen. Lawrence fucking Fishburne calling Freddy fucking Rodriguez a king because he gave him some baseball tickets? Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 212October 28, 2011 7:12 PM

[quote]"Bunny Lake is Missing": An Otto Preminger film that deserves more than it has received. Eerie, and for its time, more than a bit shocking in terms of what is suggested by Preminger. I have never understood why this film never has taken on cult status.

I watch it whenever it's on TCM, it's very creepy and weird.

by Anonymousreply 213October 28, 2011 7:18 PM

"Jeopardy" starring Barbara Stanwyck, Barry Sullivan and Ralph Meeker from 1953. It's a good suspense movie that you don't hear much about.

[quote]The Stilwins are on vacation to an isolated beach in Mexico. Walking on a deserted jetty, Doug Stilwin gets his leg trapped under one of the logs. All attempts to move the log are futile and Helen Stilwin takes the car to get help. However, an escaped criminal kidnaps her. Will she be able to return to her husband before he drowns?

by Anonymousreply 214October 28, 2011 7:23 PM

'Young Soul Rebels' (1991) is a great little british movie with a gay theme and a killer soundtrack. Set in London in the late '70s it explores the west indian soul subculture at the time of Punk Rock. That soul scene later gave birth to Massive Attack and the whole trip hop scene (which was big at the time the movie was made). It has a killer soundtrack - Parliament's 'Mothership Connection' is the first thing you hear.

The film is a bit like a half-brother to 'My Beautiful Laundrette'.

Wiki says:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 28, 2011 7:41 PM

Kiss Me Deadly (1955); Starring Ralph Meeker, this film is the ultimate low budget film noir. The object the characters seek is their own destruction. To give away any more details would spoil the film. Film was directed by Robert Aldrich, whose rough, tough macho style was perfect for this script. Film is also notable for the debut of Cloris Leachman, whose character in this movie is too delicate and fine to thrive.

by Anonymousreply 216October 28, 2011 8:22 PM

[R212]Not to mention the horrible Ashton Kutcher in a completely throw-away role that he only got because Demi twisted director/ex-fiance Emilio Estevez's arm.

by Anonymousreply 217October 28, 2011 8:53 PM

An Australian film called IN HER SKIN. It's based on a true and is very disturbing. Ruth Bradley gives and chilling performance.

by Anonymousreply 218October 28, 2011 9:04 PM

Two more. Lured (1947): A British film noir, directed by Douglas Sirk before he reached America, film features Lucille Ball as an endangered chorine in Victorian London, and Boris Karloff as the probable villain, film is a quirky mix of thriller and comedy. A must see for film buffs.

The Legend of Lylah Clare (1968): Rough sledding, I know, but this is a little seen camp classic. Film theme is all of Hollywood is rotting; it uses the idea of reincarnation to carry it out. Kim Novak is cast as the innocent who turns into the 1920's(?) sex goddess Lylah Clare. Coral Browne does a marvelously funny take on Hedda Hopper; the rest of the film is pure camp. Ending must be seen to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 219October 28, 2011 10:13 PM

Angel's Egg, a very flawed but interesting anime movie from 1985. The entire movie is on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 220October 29, 2011 1:25 AM

Red State. Yes, Kevin Smith is a jerk whose ego doomed this movie to minimal distribution. But he's pro-gay and, with this movie, proves he can truly be a brilliant filmmaker. Funny, terrifying, constantly unpredictable film. Stunning direction, editing and cinematography. Fantastic performances from Michael Parks and John Goodman.

by Anonymousreply 221October 29, 2011 5:09 AM

[quote]Oh my fucking god [R138] you think that steaming pile is a gem? Jesus fucking Christ that "film" eats cock. WORST movie I have ever seen. Lawrence fucking Fishburne calling Freddy fucking Rodriguez a king because he gave him some baseball tickets? Give me a fucking break.

Wow, because I love this movie you have to get like that? I certainly didn't intend to piss you off with my choice but I guess I did.

by Anonymousreply 222October 29, 2011 11:05 AM

Per r193, I just watched "Father and Son." So, Sukurov vehemently denies the homoeroticism in this film??? Is it normal in Russia for fathers and sons to embrace each other naked, to stare longingly into each other's eyes, their lips close enough to touch, to marvel over each other's muscles, to get jealous when another young man appears on the scene? This is a daily occurance in Russia? If so, I want to move there.

by Anonymousreply 223November 4, 2011 1:10 AM

Body Heat great film with Mickey Rourke when he was young and cute.

William Hurts best performance.

by Anonymousreply 224November 4, 2011 1:57 AM

I liked Bobby also.

by Anonymousreply 225November 4, 2011 2:00 AM

"Careful, He Might Hear You": disturbing and very powerful Australia film from the early 1980s about two sisters in Sydney in the 1930s vying for the guardianship of their dead other sister's son. Wendy Hughes turns in a genuinely classic performance

"Contraband": Rarely seen but extremely fun British thriller by Powell and Pressberger (who also made "The Red Shoes," "Black Narcissus," etc.) made at the beginning of the 2nd World War--it out-Hitchcock's Hitchcock's 30s British films. Also an excellent film by them that few people have seen is "One of Our Aircraft is Missing," from about the same time

Another vote for "The Rapture," which indeed has a genuinely great performance by Mimi Rogers and one of the most memorable endings to a film I've ever seen

by Anonymousreply 226November 4, 2011 2:30 AM

R223, it was actually filmed in Portugal.

by Anonymousreply 227November 4, 2011 5:16 AM

Scaramouche (1952)

Andre-Louis Moreau is a nobleman's bastard in the days of the French revolution. Noel, the Marquis de Mayne, a nobleman in love with the Queen, is ordered to seek the hand of a young ingenue, Aline, in marriage. Andre also meets Aline, and forms an interest in her. But when the marquis kills his best friend Andre declares himself the Marquis's enemy and vows to avenge his friend. He hides out, a wanted man, as an actor in a commedia troupe, and spends his days learning how to handle a sword. ....

Quite funny and great sets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228November 4, 2011 12:58 PM

r227, my impression was that, though filmed in Portugal, the setting was still Russia -- why would all the locals, including the trolley operator, speak Russian?

Of course, it was hard to determine what was dream and what was reality in the film, which is perhaps why the Lisbon location was chosen -- it looked otherworldly.

by Anonymousreply 229November 4, 2011 1:04 PM

But it was worth a look. And that Daddy was eminently fuckable. Not so much the kid.

by Anonymousreply 230November 4, 2011 4:38 PM

r230, oh, I agree, it's definitely worth watching. And, yes, daddy was HOT.

by Anonymousreply 231November 4, 2011 4:54 PM

I love The Opposite of Sex just for Cristina Ricci's narration...

by Anonymousreply 232November 4, 2011 5:01 PM

I have one: THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER (1938), with Tommy Kelly in the title role and a supporting cast that includes May Robson, Victor Jory, Walter Brennan, and Margaret Hamilton. Very well done in terms of script adaptation, acting, and direction, plus the movie is in gorgeous early three-strip Technicolor.

It used to be broadcast on TV frequently when I was a kid, but now I think it's in the public domain now. (It's a Seznick Studios film.) I had a laserdisc of it that was apparently made from a 16-mm print, but someone made me a copy of a gorgeous restoration from a 35mm print; not sure of the source.

Apparently, the movie is available on DVD as an import; I can't vouch for the quality of that transfer, but the movie itself is definitely worth tracking down. Very well done, straightforward film version of the book.

by Anonymousreply 233November 4, 2011 5:16 PM

"No One Will Talk About Us When We're Dead" - a Spanish movie with the great Vicoria Abril as a tough hooker on the run - anybody ever see this?

by Anonymousreply 234November 4, 2011 5:26 PM

"The Human Comedy" a 1943 film with Mickey Rooney. I can't stand him but he was terrific in this movie set in a small CA town during the war. He plays a messenger boy who delivers the 'We regret to inform you...' telegrams. The movie is a set of vignettes. I just love it.

by Anonymousreply 235November 6, 2011 10:19 AM

I loved two little-known British films that I saw on cable a year or so ago.

LADIES IN LAVENDER with Maggie Smith and Judi Dench and a gorgeous Daniel Bruhl. The Dames play two spinster sisters whose quiet lives are changed when an injured young man washes up on the beach near their cottage. His presence in their house brings out the maternal instinct in one and causes the other to "long for a life not lived."

MRS. PALFREY AT THE CLAREMONT with Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend (gorgeous too). A widow moves into a London hotel to live out her years hoping to meet new friends and be closer to her grandson. Neither the hotel nor her grandson are what she expected but she begins a tentative friendship with a young man quite by accident that brings new (non-romantic!) changes to her lonely life.

The acting in both films is just brilliant and Judi Dench will break your heart in LIL.

I think both pop up on cable now and then. I ended up buying the DVDs (used) at my cable store.

by Anonymousreply 236November 6, 2011 12:47 PM

Make that "at my video store."

by Anonymousreply 237November 6, 2011 12:55 PM

I watched 'Dr. Cyclops' last night, and checked in and out on a film titled 'East of Eden'.

by Anonymousreply 238November 6, 2011 1:06 PM

r236, I totally agree about Ladies in Lavender. I think part of what makes Judi Dench's performance so fantastic is that she's playing outside her usual role of the imperious grande dame; here, she's fragile, wounded, flighty. An exquisite performance.

by Anonymousreply 239November 6, 2011 2:41 PM

I just watched "Another Year" ... wonderful observations on happiness and subtle, understated acting ... superb

by Anonymousreply 240November 6, 2011 4:46 PM

by Anonymousreply 241November 8, 2011 12:20 AM

I loved Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont.

by Anonymousreply 242November 8, 2011 3:10 AM

I watched a little of a movie called 'By Love Possessed' and saw a scene from some movie where Patty Duke flushed Susan Hayward's wig down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 243November 8, 2011 3:45 AM

My House in Umbria-Maggie Smith

Page 8--Bill Nighy last night on Masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 244November 8, 2011 4:45 AM

An obscure South Korean film I saw on BBC2 some years ago called "Take Care of My Cat" about a bunch of highschool girls dealing with life after highschool and friendships and so on.

It was very good.

by Anonymousreply 245November 8, 2011 4:10 PM

All Fall Down (1962)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246November 14, 2011 6:44 PM

I watched the end of a children's film titled 'Blizzard' about one of Santa's reindeer gone astray.

I also watched 'Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man' this past weekend.

by Anonymousreply 247November 14, 2011 7:58 PM

NIGHTS of CABIRIA 1957 (Italian) Le notti di Cabiria (original title)

Artistically and emotionally wrought movie, beautiful!

The original "sweet charity", despite an endless string of heartbreaks and scamming boyfriends, Cabiria (Gulietta Masina) a small time prostitute in Rome, continues on a quest to find true love.

Fredrico Fellini , director

Thanks to all the great posts here, I have discovered many new favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248November 19, 2011 1:25 AM

"Delicatessen" is a 1991 French black comedy film, directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro, starring Dominique Pinon and Karin Viard. It is set in an apartment building in a post-apocalyptic France of an ambiguous time period. The story focuses on the tenants of the building and their desperate bids to survive. Among these characters is the newly arrived Louison, who arrives to replace a tenant whose reason for departure is initially unclear. The butcher, Clapet, is the leader of the group which strives to keep control and balance in the apartment building.

It is largely a character-based film, with much of the interest being gained from each tenant's own particular idiosyncrasies and their relationship to each other.

by Anonymousreply 249November 20, 2011 4:05 PM

I watched 'Her Name is Ellie, His Name is Lyle', a progressive look at the treatment of syphilis in the '60s. 'The Green Slime', a foreign film about an invasion in space, 'The Equinox' about young people encountering a demon from another dimension while picknicking, 'The Ghost and Mr. Chicken', a comedy concerning spiritualism.

by Anonymousreply 250November 20, 2011 4:17 PM

Ye Ma Ma, a Chinese film from the 1980s about an unmarried peasant girl who raises the child of a revolutionary who's sent to prison.

by Anonymousreply 251November 20, 2011 7:14 PM

Shakespeare In Love starring Gwyneth Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 252November 20, 2011 7:17 PM

A movie called "Burning Palms" by gay director Christopher Landon (Michael's son). About 4 offbeat vignettes, expertly directed. I expect big things from him.

by Anonymousreply 253November 20, 2011 10:18 PM

Home Alone. A kid gets left home alone, and it's funny.

by Anonymousreply 254November 20, 2011 10:29 PM

'Once Around' - came out in 91-92. Great cast. Holly Hunter, Gena Rowlands, Richard Dreyfuss, Danny Aiello, Laura San Giacomo,etc. Family conflicts. All done beautifully. Excellent performances. Kind of what that bomb from a couple years ago, 'The Family Stone', wanted to be.Set in Boston . Rent it- you won't be sorry. Excellent. Directed by Lasse Halstrom.

by Anonymousreply 255November 20, 2011 10:41 PM

New Waterford Girl, a Canadian film about a girl who dreams of leaving her small, northern Nova Scotia town.

by Anonymousreply 256November 20, 2011 11:54 PM

t

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257November 22, 2011 7:45 AM

I know we all hate Mel Gibson, but I was intrigued by "Apocalypto," probably one of the few films that feature the Mayan language.

He captures a sense of what it might have been like to live in pre-Columbian Central America that seems authentic and terrifying.

Gibson's grisly and sadistic side is well suited to a world where life is brutish, nasty, and short.

by Anonymousreply 258November 22, 2011 8:42 AM

[italic]Dance, Girl, Dance[/italic] starring Maureen O'Hara and Lucille Ball, directed by Dorothy Arzner. First off, I'm not telling you it's a great movie. The story meanders too much. However, it's fun watching because you get to see Lucy playing a not-completely-bad girl, a burlesque dancer, who does a favor for her old co-chorine, Maureen O'Hara, who dances [italic]en pointe[/italic] between burlesque acts. Truly silly, and towards the end there's a cat fight between the two with them ending up in night court.

by Anonymousreply 259November 22, 2011 8:57 AM

I'm in the process of watching 'Equinox', a horror film recently given the Criterion treatment.

by Anonymousreply 260November 22, 2011 10:54 AM

"Straight Time" starring Dustin Hoffman with Harry Dean Stanton and the late great M. Emmet Walsh as Hoffman's parole officer.

by Anonymousreply 261November 22, 2011 11:56 AM

"Three on a Match" (1932).

Delightful film that got me started on the "Pre-code" movies of the 30s.

by Anonymousreply 262November 22, 2011 12:18 PM

"Something the Lord Made" with Moss Def and Alan Rickman. Rickman plays a surgeon/med school professor who, with the assistance of his black student/employee, makes great strides in treating cardiac issues of newborns. It is a true story set in the 40s I think.

by Anonymousreply 263November 22, 2011 2:14 PM

Black Christmas. Scary and very underrated. (Wonder if they ever show it on a double-bill with It's a Wonderful Life?)

by Anonymousreply 264December 6, 2011 11:31 AM

R263 --

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 6, 2011 1:08 PM

Another fellow, more recent, whose gifts were recognized in defiance of institutional racism --

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266December 6, 2011 1:09 PM

Roller Boogie

by Anonymousreply 267December 6, 2011 2:22 PM

Titanic Star Wars Wizard of Oz

by Anonymousreply 268December 6, 2011 2:30 PM

Mirage. From 1965. A brilliant thriller. From Netflix:

Gregory Peck stars as David Stillwell, an accountant who loses his memory and discovers that those who try to help him regain it keep turning up dead. As Stillwell fights to remember who he is, he must also unravel the conspiracy that surrounds him.

by Anonymousreply 269December 6, 2011 2:55 PM

R269, I remember renting that on VHS about 20 years ago. A Hitchcock film not directed by Alfred Hitchcock!

by Anonymousreply 270December 6, 2011 5:18 PM

I watched 'Island of Lost Souls' this past Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 271December 7, 2011 2:00 AM

'Green Slime' aired several weeks ago. The sets and performances were stellar.

by Anonymousreply 272December 7, 2011 2:03 AM

The Fantastic Adventures of Unico. Extremely beautiful and haunting movie that aired on the Disney channel back in the second half of the 80's and apparently also in the early 90's. This movie had an enormous emotional and imaginative impact on me:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273December 7, 2011 3:49 AM

Saw one tonite: New York City Serenade, with Freddie Prinze, Jr and Chris Klein. It's about the troubled friendship b/w two regular guys. Years after falling out, they meet again in a scene that doesn't QUITE scale the heights of the famous closer in The Way We Were but, damn, if it doesn't come close. Chris Klein is gorgeous, hilarious and nothing short of brilliant as the drunken ne'er-do-well pal of Prinze's. Definitely worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 274December 9, 2011 7:30 AM

Has anyone seen North Sea Texas? It's screening as part of the ongoing Belgian Film Series at American Cinematheque and sounds like an interesting gay coming of age story.

by Anonymousreply 275December 14, 2011 11:02 PM

The Reflecting Skin, with Viggo Mortensen. It's a kind of weird movie, a bit like The Night of The Hunter in that it's somewhat dreamlike, but it's one of my favorites.

I also really like Werner Herzog's Incident at Loch Ness - very unHerzog like but really funny.

by Anonymousreply 276December 15, 2011 12:57 AM

"Big Eden"... gay themed comedy. Complete fantasy but very sweet. Arye Gross, Louise Fletcher, and Eric Schweig star.

by Anonymousreply 277January 15, 2012 10:50 AM

Caught this excellent, well-acted film about a man in love with a bi-polar woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 15, 2012 10:28 PM

'Penny Sernade' - directed by George Stevens. Stars Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Edgar Buchanan, Beliuah Bondi. Great film.Will break your hearft.

by Anonymousreply 279February 9, 2012 8:46 AM

by Anonymousreply 280March 23, 2012 10:00 AM

'The Man In The White Suit' (1951), british classic starring Alec Guiness. Simply brilliant.

'The Sweet Hereafter' (1997) directed by Atom Egoyan - not mentioned very often these days. Truly heart wrenching.

'Sunday Too Far Away' (1975), one of my favourite australian films. A slice-of-life drama centred around sheep shearers in the outback during the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 281March 23, 2012 1:11 PM

P.S. 'Sunday Too Far Away' at R281 stars Jack Thompson at his sexiest.

Another neglected comedy classic is 'Bedtime Story' (1964), the original (and funnier) film later remade as 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' (though I like both). The film stars Marlon Brando (in the role Steve Martin played), David Niven (Michael Caine later) and Shirley Jones. Almost forgotten now - certainly no-one mentioned it when 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' came out.

by Anonymousreply 282March 23, 2012 1:26 PM

"Hang the Red Lantern"

"The Bubble"

"The Garden of the Finzi-Continis"

"The Wedding Banquet"

"Ararat"

"The Magnificent Ambersons"

by Anonymousreply 283March 23, 2012 2:42 PM

Some of these are second/third mentions I agree with:

High Tide

Dogfight

The Rapture

Safe

Cutter’s Way

Last Exit to Brooklyn

The Sweet Hereafter

Exotica

Georgia

Lantana

Limbo

Lone Star

3 Women

Crimes of Passion

by Anonymousreply 284March 23, 2012 3:07 PM

For animation lovers.

Finding Nemo

Twilight of the Cockroaches

Watership Down

by Anonymousreply 285March 23, 2012 6:17 PM

The Poisoner's Handbook and another vote for The Rapture

by Anonymousreply 286March 23, 2012 7:15 PM

Loving this thread.

So many intriguing recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 287March 23, 2012 7:57 PM

And a lot of bad ones too, R287.

by Anonymousreply 288March 24, 2012 2:51 AM

Three Wishes with Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Patrick Swayze....I know, I know. But it is a very sweet movie.

by Anonymousreply 289March 24, 2012 3:28 AM

r11 The Bishop's Wife was my sister's favorite movie. After she passed on, my mother would watch it all the time. It brought her a little semblance of comfort for the loss of her daughter.

Thanks for mentioning it.

by Anonymousreply 290March 24, 2012 3:44 AM

The Last Wave w/ Richard Chamberlain, directed by Peter Weir (eerie and unsettling)

Snow Cake w/ Alan Rickman & Sigourney Weaver

Summertime w/ Katharine Hepburn & Rossano Brazzi (not great acting, but the locations are fantastic)

Sneakers w/ Robt Redford, Sidney Poitier, River Phoenix, David Strathairn (just a fun caper movie)

Breakfast on Pluto w/ Cillian Murphy (Murphy's character is charming, maddening and poignant by turns)

Peter's Friends w/ Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, Emma Thompson & Imelda Staunton

Additional votes here for: - Local Hero - My House in Umbria - Lantana - Apartment Zero - Rapture

I've only seen some YT clips from Mysterious Skin, but there seem to be some very good performances there.

by Anonymousreply 291March 24, 2012 4:29 AM

Ken Russell's "song of summer" about the composer Delius. Russian Ark Local hero They might be giants The gallant hours

by Anonymousreply 292March 24, 2012 5:00 AM

Smilla's Sense of Snow w/ Julia Ormond & Gabriel Byrne The book was better, but then that's usually the case.

Siesta w/ Ellen Barkin & Gabriel Byrne w/ a cameo by Jodie Foster

by Anonymousreply 293March 24, 2012 5:13 AM

Courtesy of TCM:

"The Man Who Came to Dinner" (1942) - featuring a deliciously supercilious Monty Woolley, a sentimental Bette Davis, and ravishing Ann Sheridan; marred only by a loud and obnoxious Jimmy Durante doing his tiresome vaudevillian schtick.

"A Majority of One" (1961) - you'd think a blandly uninspired and non-descriptively titled movie, starring Rosalind Russell as a Brooklyn Jewish widow who awakens the romantic yearnings of a disciplined Japanese widower (Sir Alec Guinness!) would be beyond awful, but surprisingly it works! Russell is charming and Guinness isn't nearly as offensive as other Anglo-in-Asian-drag portrayals.

by Anonymousreply 294March 24, 2012 8:06 AM

The Last of Sheila - A great thriller in the South of France.

Three Days of the Condor - Anything Robert Redford (Another thriller)

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken - Don Knotts (Always good for a laugh)

Blindfold - Rock Hudson (Another cool thriller)

by Anonymousreply 295March 24, 2012 11:22 AM

Have you guys seen any of the Twilight movies? They're, like, the best! You should definitely go - fuck the Hunger Game shit. Bella+Edward 4evah!! LOLZ!!!!1!!1!

by Anonymousreply 296March 24, 2012 12:37 PM

A French film. The title translates to "He loves me...he loves me not." Really riviting film where the first half is the woman's perception of their relationship and the second half is the man's version. I'm wording this carefully because the film has a major twist and is in no way a chick flick or comedy in spite of the title. Well worth a watch...and popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 297March 24, 2012 1:58 PM

Tipping the velvet. It was a bbc miniseries on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 298March 25, 2012 1:15 AM

I second R297's suggestion of "He loves me...he loves me not". Really great, happened to catch one night when it was on the french cable channel TV% Monde. I thought it would be a romantic comedy, but it's much darker.

by Anonymousreply 299March 26, 2012 8:10 PM

"When the Cat's Away"

Really sweet french film about a woman searching for her lost cat. Not available on DVD, unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 26, 2012 8:35 PM

I saw "He Love Me...He Loves Me Not."

It was okay, but I can't think it something one would watch again.

by Anonymousreply 301March 26, 2012 11:00 PM

Seconding R152's vote for "Apartment for Peggy".

Edmund Gwenn was apparently gay and lived his latter years with a young male partner/houseboy.

by Anonymousreply 302March 28, 2012 4:52 PM

I've just seen [bold]Undertow(Contracorriente)[/bold] and I can't believe its been around for more than a year without me hearing about it. Absolutely stunning, breathtakingly beautiful, compelling and well-acted film from Peru that puts 'Brokeback Mountain' in the shade.

Set in a traditional Peruvian fishing village, it's about a love triangle involving a local fisherman, his wife and free-spirited artist(painter/photographer). Even the positive reviews can't do it justice, you just have to see it for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 303April 7, 2012 5:53 AM

Has 'Greenberg' been mentioned? Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 304April 7, 2012 5:55 AM

Wanda directed by and starring Barbara Loden

by Anonymousreply 305April 7, 2012 7:22 AM

Ghost World Thora Birch, a young Scarlet Johanson and Steve Bucemi.

by Anonymousreply 306April 7, 2012 4:29 PM

My personal favorite is a relatively unknown gem with Jane Fonda, Raul Julia, and Beau Bridges, "The Morning After". I LOVE this film. Jane's character would be the ultimate hag if she was 100 pounds heavier. She is very witty and hard bitten. My other favorite is "Lust in the Dust" with Divine and Lainie Kazan.

by Anonymousreply 307April 8, 2012 3:21 AM

Totally agree, r303. I happened to catch Undertow at a film festival, didn't know anything about it other than it was a gay romance from Peru. It was an incredibly overwhelming film.

r196, thank you for the recommendation of Fanfan la Tulipe. Totally enjoyed it, pure fun! And Gerard Philippe was so devastatingly handsome!

After reading Robert K. Massie's biography of Catherine the Great, I added The Rise of Catherine the Great (1934) to my Netflix queue. It's pretty good, though decidedly romanticized and not nearly as cinematically glorious as von Sternberg's The Scarlet Empress, which covers the same period and was released the same year. But I think that Elizabeth Bergner is a bit better than Marlene Dietrich in the role.

Also finally got around to seeing Raging Sun, Raging Sky (2008), directed by Julian Hernandez, who has a fetish for young, hunky men going through the torture of a romantic triangle without much dialogue. This worked extremely well in 2005's Broken Sky, which was a straight-forward love story, but Raging Sun, Raging Sky adds some mystical, magical realism into the stew, making it seem a bit twee at times. But, if hot Mexicans spending most of the movie naked is your thing, you'll enjoy it, even at nearly 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 308April 8, 2012 5:36 AM

Speaking of Edmund Gwenn (R302), I'd like to add The Trouble with Harry to the list. Directed by Hitchcock, starring Shirley McLaine in her first movie role; John Forsythe,later to be known for To Rome with Love, Charlie's Angels & Dynasty, Edmund Gwenn and a pre-Beav Jerry Mathers. Silly fun.

by Anonymousreply 309April 8, 2012 6:03 PM

by Anonymousreply 310August 21, 2012 9:10 AM

Hardly any of these are obscure or hidden.

by Anonymousreply 311August 21, 2012 6:57 PM

I'm pleased that two of my favorites, "The Rapture" and "The Maid" were praised so often here.

Others on my list are:

"Dance With a Stranger"

"Once Were Warriors"

"Duel in the Sun"

"Black Orpheus"

"Last Night"

"The Lost Weekend"

"White Palace"

by Anonymousreply 312August 21, 2012 8:51 PM

"The Crazy Quilt"--an experimental film I saw on what was then called education TV in the 1960s when I was a child--haunting fable of the life stories of a man and a woman from marriage to death. Have never been able to find it since.

by Anonymousreply 313August 21, 2012 9:11 PM

r311 Unlike your penis, under all that belly fat.

by Anonymousreply 314August 21, 2012 9:26 PM

R300 I saw that film on BBC2 (or rather the last 3/4 of it) about 10 years ago and had forgotten almost instantly what the title was. Thanks for reminding me, it was a lovely film as you said.

A similarly titled film which doesn't have much to do with cats actually is this Korean one "Take Care of My Cat". Also was on BBC2, about 8 years ago. The characters are very well drawn and I found it an engaging watch.

More recently, I saw the anime "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" (2006). Very enjoyable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315August 21, 2012 9:41 PM

Sweetie

by Anonymousreply 316August 21, 2012 11:52 PM

r306 I stumbled upon 'Ghost World' and loved it. Love that kind of humour that, sadly, is non-existent in mainstream films. Recently saw, and liked, 'Tiny Furniture' which I thought comparable and equally good.

by Anonymousreply 317August 22, 2012 6:30 PM

R317 = moron

by Anonymousreply 318August 22, 2012 8:25 PM

I'm in love with this thread! I've seen quite a few of the films mentioned but there are many I haven't.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Carry on the great work.....

by Anonymousreply 319August 24, 2012 1:04 PM

Just about anything by Jean-Pierre Melville. My favorites are Le Samourai, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle rouge, Un flic (Dirty Money), Le Doulos and Bob le flambeur.

by Anonymousreply 320August 24, 2012 9:20 PM

Why, r318? Did you not like Ghost World or Tiny Furniture?

by Anonymousreply 321August 24, 2012 10:24 PM

This thread is probably mostly for arty-farty movies, but anyone interested in a fun comedy, try Retroactive. It was straight to video and stars Jim Belushi, so right away everyone assumes it'd suck. But not so, Jim is perfectly cast as an Elvis-type douchebag. It's a time-travel comedy. Just check the reviews, they are mostly favorable. It's a really fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 322August 24, 2012 10:32 PM

[R40] Local Hero was immense and a pure joy to watch! Made me want to visit that part of Scotland and the soundtrack is Heaven. Mark Knopfler at his best.

by Anonymousreply 323August 24, 2012 10:42 PM

MOMENT TO MOMENT with Jean Seberg, Honor Blackman and 'exciting new screen personality' Sean Garrison. 60's melodrama mystery in the style of Ross Hunter from Mervyn LeRoy with a lovely title song by Henry Mancini. Pure escapism but fun.

by Anonymousreply 324August 24, 2012 10:44 PM

[quote]This thread is probably mostly for arty-farty movies,

Oh gosh no! I'm the OP of this thread and have some crap movies that I think are gems and unknown. "Dirty Love" is one of them. I happen to think it is almost brilliant and Carmen Electra is amazingly funny in it.

by Anonymousreply 325August 24, 2012 10:55 PM

Wise Blood is great.

by Anonymousreply 326August 25, 2012 8:20 AM

Daddy's Gone a Hunting -- predictable thriller from 1969 with British actress Carol White, Paul Burke and Scott Hylands.. Hylands was hunky as I recall. Only out on VHS, not on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 327August 25, 2012 12:29 PM

For horror lovers- tourist trap starting chuckle Connors and a porn star looking Tanya Roberts!! It's a very creative slasher film!!!

by Anonymousreply 328August 25, 2012 12:44 PM

Buster and Billie --- for Jan Michael Vincent and his full frontal cock. Such a beautiful man until he destroyed it all with booze and drugs.

by Anonymousreply 329August 25, 2012 6:28 PM

I recently read William J. Mann's "Behind the Screen," about gay men and women in old Hollywood, and it led me to discover Laird Cregar; I got "Hangover Square" (1945) from Netflix and was overwhelmed, a fantastic thriller with a brilliant performance by Cregar, excellent support from Linda Darnell and George Sanders, a marvelous score by Bernard Hermann and magnificently atmospheric black & white cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 330August 25, 2012 7:17 PM

That Cold Day in the Park, a Robert Altman film with Sandy Dennis and former actor turned college professor Michael Burns. Burns has some nude scenes and showed his fine ass... fine back in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 331August 25, 2012 9:07 PM

"Fighting Father Dunne" with Pat O'Brien.

by Anonymousreply 332September 1, 2012 9:57 AM

"East Side Story" a terrific documentary on musical of the Eastern Bloc- East Germany, Soviet Union, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333December 2, 2012 9:59 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 334December 4, 2012 10:05 PM

"Fighting Father Dunne" with Pat O' Brien.

by Anonymousreply 335February 15, 2013 10:01 AM

Thanks to r128, "Nothing But a Man," with Abbey Lincoln and Ivan Dixon was really good, it finally came up in the netflix queue.

Poignant and realistic. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 336March 12, 2013 12:27 PM

DOGPOUND SHUFFLE with Ron Moody & David Soul (1975) A man who has lost his beloved pet dog enlists the help of a young drifter in finding the animal. This leads to a series of misadventures, including a confrontation with a hulking dog-pound worker and a stint providing the entertainment at a millionaire's party...Saw it once on TV at 3am...my kinda movie...never saw it again.

by Anonymousreply 337March 12, 2013 1:21 PM

DOGPOUND SHUFFLE on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338March 12, 2013 1:24 PM

bronson

by Anonymousreply 339March 12, 2013 3:29 PM

Not so hidden, but recently saw French film "Farewell, My Queen" about the last days of Marie Antoinette. Very well done, and makes that Sofia Coppola bio look amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 340March 12, 2013 8:10 PM

Peyton Place

Carrie

by Anonymousreply 341March 12, 2013 8:30 PM

Charlotte Gray

by Anonymousreply 342March 12, 2013 8:37 PM

Interiors The Sweet Hereafter Babettes feast Romeo Is Bleeding Gloria W/Gena Rowlands Grand Canyon All about My Mother The Lovely Bones Klute Millers Crossing Basquiat The 39 steps

by Anonymousreply 343March 13, 2013 12:01 AM

[quote] Interiors The Sweet Hereafter Babettes feast Romeo Is Bleeding Gloria W/Gena Rowlands Grand Canyon All about My Mother The Lovely Bones Klute Millers Crossing Basquiat The 39 steps

oh, oh dear

by Anonymousreply 344March 13, 2013 12:07 AM

Once Upon A Time in Anatolia

Las Acacias

Carnage

by Anonymousreply 345March 13, 2013 3:36 PM

I've noticed the French no longer make very good films. What happened? Are they all trying to pander to Hollywood hoping to make it big?

by Anonymousreply 346March 13, 2013 3:38 PM

R343, yes, Babette's Feast, wonderful movie. There was a 'sequel' as I remember, can't remember the name.

by Anonymousreply 347March 13, 2013 4:20 PM

Wild Boys of the Road (1933)

by Anonymousreply 348March 13, 2013 5:16 PM

[quote]I love all French New Wave, but CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 by the great Agnes Varda is fabulous.

thanks for this, it is fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 349March 26, 2013 2:55 PM

R346, I don't know what happened, but this is indeed true. The Belgians make better films nowadays. If you want a good film today, I'd say look to Latin America

NO was terrific

by Anonymousreply 350March 26, 2013 2:57 PM

Saw a German film last night called "Breathing" (2011), about a young man trying to find his way after murdering another kid at age 14. Really well-acted (and gratuitous weiner shots as a bonus).

At one point I was afraid the film would turn into "he finds the love of a nice girl and everything changes for him" (ugh, I hate those). But luckily it took another path.

by Anonymousreply 351March 26, 2013 11:52 PM

the silent "Greed"...really amazing story wise and cinematically

by Anonymousreply 352March 27, 2013 12:02 AM

The Last of Sheila. 1973 murder mystery starring Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon, James Coburn, Joan Hackett, James Mason, Iam McShane and Raquel Welch. Brilliant script, great acting and directing. This film keeps you guessing until the very end. The commentary by Benjamin, Cannon and Welch on the 2004 DVD was charming and very intelligent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353March 27, 2013 5:52 AM

agree with previously mentioned Babette's Feast.

Some other ones: The Innocents, Onibaba

by Anonymousreply 354March 27, 2013 6:10 AM

Is 'Santa Sangre' a watchable film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355May 11, 2013 11:19 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 356September 30, 2013 9:16 AM

Any good ones from the festival circuit?

by Anonymousreply 357October 3, 2013 5:39 AM

JonBenet's snuff film

by Anonymousreply 358October 3, 2013 9:10 AM

Middle of the Night (1959)

Betty Preisser (Kim Novak), an attractive 24 year old divorcee, works as a secretary in the hard-boiled atmosphere of Manhattan's garment district. Her workaholic boss Jerry (Frederick March) is feeling his own mortality. He's overworked and lonely. He's a 56 year old widower, but still enmeshed in his family obligations. His bossy older sister Evelyn has moved in with him and he has a married daughter Lillian and grandchild who live nearby.

I've seen bits and pieces of this and finally, recently watched the whole movie on TCM. It was an amazing performance that sucked me in like a great play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359October 3, 2013 9:52 AM

Great thread! How about Sandcastles - Jan Michael Vincent--( Lovestory featuring a Ghost...) The Sure Thing-John Cusack (A young man goes on a road trip to met up with a '10' sure piece of ass) Seeking a Friend for the End of The World- Steve Carell ( How would life be if we knew we had only a few weeks more to live?) All of these movies are VERY ROMANTIC---check 'em out!! Gems!!!

by Anonymousreply 360October 3, 2013 12:17 PM

Who's seen 'Safety Not Guaranteed'? I really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 361October 3, 2013 3:47 PM

Y Tu Mama Tambien

The Station Agent

Mary and Max

Hard Eight

Mondays in the Sun

Confessions of a dangerous Mind

some are not that obscure I guess, but they are all amazing IMHO

by Anonymousreply 362January 25, 2014 6:11 AM

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363January 25, 2014 6:21 AM

Dead Snow there must be 100s of zombie movies but this one is good. Netflix streaming has it...

by Anonymousreply 364January 25, 2014 6:25 AM

M. Hire. Beautiful and tragic, and very French.

Another Ninth Gate fan. Silly but also very atmospheric.

by Anonymousreply 365January 25, 2014 6:35 AM

All my faves are already mentioned: Baby Face, Z, Les Efants Terribles, Adele H, Prick Up Your Ears, X,Y & Z, The Conformist, Kiss Me Deadly ...

Birth - with Nicole Kidman - it shows how love is an internal thing; basically, Nic's husband dies and a little boy claims to be his reincarnation. He is very convincing and he believes her.

Eventually, we find out he is faking because he read love letters written by Nic to her husband. (The husband had never opened them and given them to his mistress; the boy found them.) He had just regurgitated Nic's own feelings, not those of the husband at all who did not love her.

The whole film is very good.

by Anonymousreply 366January 25, 2014 6:49 AM

"Paradise Road" with Glenn Close. It's about a group of women who are interred in a prison camp during WWII. They form a vocal orchestra. It is very very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367January 25, 2014 8:37 AM

"She's On All Fours" with Helen Lawson and Danny Thomas.

Classic.

Should be on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 368January 25, 2014 8:42 AM

A Glenn film called "Maxie." It was on cable almost 24/7 about 20 years ago and then just disappeared.

Co-starring Mandy Patinkin and the late, great Ruth Gordon. There is even an appearance by a long ago fave of mine, Valerie Curtin.

Ruth will break your heart in the scene shown below. Glenn got to emote all over the screen and sing and dance and it is a very nice performance.

Mandy didn't get on my nerves that much and he looks kind of hot. Not a bad way to spend a few hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369January 25, 2014 8:53 AM

I just watched "Bernie" with Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine, and Matthew McConaughey. Directed by Richard Linklater. Pretty darn good movie. Based on a true story.

by Anonymousreply 370January 26, 2014 12:57 AM

Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 371October 15, 2014 10:12 AM

Raggedy Man, with Sissy Spacek and Eric Roberts

by Anonymousreply 372October 15, 2014 3:07 PM

Always thought that Bogey's "In a Lonely Place" was outstanding & very underrated.

by Anonymousreply 373October 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Man of the Century-a contemporary newspaper reporter lives, talks and acts as if he is in the 1920s. One of a kind and a hoot if you don't expect any explanation of the character and just go with it.

Heroes for Sale-1933 Warner Bros. social relevance Pre Code with Richard Barthelmess and Loretta Young (at her most beautiful). When else did movie heroes and heroines work in a laundry?

American Heart (1994)-Jeff Bridges as a recently released ex-con trying to go straight, survive, and raise a son. The one that should have gotten him an Oscar and that he claims as his own favorite. Plus, he's very muscled, hot and frequently shirtless in it (DL criterion for a film gem!)

Dark Passage (1947) -Odd film noir with Bogart, Bacall, a supremely bitchy and nasty Agnes Moorehead and great location filming of 1940s San Francisco

Ex Lady (1933)-Bette Davis in her first star billing in a Pre Code about free love and open marriage among artsy New Yorkers. Some of "Baby Jane's" movie scenes came from this film.

Champagne for Caesar (1950)-Ronald Colman, Celeste Holm and Vincent Price in a comedy that satirizes game shows, advertising and fame. Surprisingly relevant to modern media. Price is hilarious. Also features Art Linkletter!

Black Legion (1937)-Bogart in an early lead role as a factory worker who joins a Klan like terror group. Dated in some ways but Bogart, Erin O'Brien-Moore as his wife, Dick Foran and Ann Sheridan are all very good.

Open Range (2004)-I know we're supposed to hate Kevin Costner here but I love this western that he directed that seemed to come and go without much notice. He has great chemistry with Annette Bening and Robert Duvall and there is the gunfight to end all western gunfights.

by Anonymousreply 374October 16, 2014 1:12 AM

"The Enchanted Cottage" Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young. It's a beautifully acted film about two lonely misfits who fall in love. Cher actually owns the screen rights to it.

"The Shining Hour" which stars Joan Crawford and Margaret Sullivan.

"Back Street" starring Margaret Sullivan and Charles Boyer.

"Mr. Skeffington" starring Bette Davis and Claude Raines.

"Tea and Sympathy" starring Deborah Kerr and John Kerr. I found this movie so deeply moving.

"Come to the Stable" starring Loretta Young and Celeste Holm

by Anonymousreply 375October 16, 2014 3:01 AM

Middle of the Night with Frederic March and Kim Novak

by Anonymousreply 376October 16, 2014 3:09 AM

"Dinner at Eight" "The Flim Flam Man" "Scarlet Street" "The Maltese Falcon"

by Anonymousreply 377October 16, 2014 3:16 AM

The Butcher's Wife. Demi Moore got a lot of flack for her outer banks accent but I found the movie charming.

by Anonymousreply 378October 16, 2014 3:02 PM

[There is nothing more tedious than a race baiting troll. Except the people that talk to it.]

by Anonymousreply 379October 16, 2014 3:33 PM

No Man of Her Own-another great Stanwyck movie. Pregnant and rejected by her married lover she meets a honeymooning couple on a train. A train wreck occurs and the couple is killed and Barb is mistaken for the dead woman by the dead mans wealthy family. Tasty flick. It was on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 380October 16, 2014 7:49 PM

I just bought "No Man of Her Own" on DVD. It's very good.

by Anonymousreply 381October 16, 2014 7:53 PM

"Lawn Dogs", Mischa Barton's debut alongside Sam Rockwell, is this 100%.

Just, everybody watch it. Beautiful, heartbreaking, spellbinding movie.

by Anonymousreply 382October 16, 2014 7:54 PM

"Law of Desire" by Almodovar. Antonio Banderas first big film role, where he plays a jealous, vindictive gay man.

"Personal Services" a British film starring Julia Walters, as a middle class slum lord who accidental becomes a madam and an outspoken supporter of kinky people. Really, really funny.

by Anonymousreply 383October 17, 2014 10:46 PM

Another odd gem, I saw only half of.

"The Landlord" from 1970. Stars Beau Bridges when he was young and hot. He's a rich white guy who buys a brownstone in Harlem. Pearl Bailey is in it and Lee Grant plays his wacky mom.

Wish I could see it in its entirety.

by Anonymousreply 384October 17, 2014 10:54 PM

Tension - good film noir few people have heard of

by Anonymousreply 385October 17, 2014 11:11 PM

Girl of the Night - early 60s drama with Anne Francis as a call girl. She's very good in it.

by Anonymousreply 386October 18, 2014 2:18 AM

'Les Demoiselles de Rochefort', a musical with Catherine Deneuve and her sister, who died shortly after in a terrible accident. I'm not really into musicals, but this one stood out for its dreamlike quality.

by Anonymousreply 387October 18, 2014 2:33 AM

[italic]Amy[/italic] (1981): Jenny Agutter is a strong lead in this touching drama about a widow who goes to work at a school for deaf children.

by Anonymousreply 388October 18, 2014 2:57 AM

I thought of this from another thread about John Gavin.

"Midnight Lace" starring Doris Day and Rex Harrison. It's exceptionally acted and a great thriller. The high gloss production values and supporting cast were first class.

"Born to be Bad" starring Joan Fontaine. It's quite entertaining.

"Rain" starring Joan Crawford. It was made in 1932, and she portrayed Sadie Thompson. It was panned by the critics and the public did not like seeing Crawford, at the time, as a brazen tramp. Crawford was marvelous and the film gained respect over time.

"Stolen Hours" with Susan Hayward

"A Rage to Live" with Suzanne Pleshette.

by Anonymousreply 389October 19, 2014 12:40 AM

The Russia House, with Sean Connery and Michelle Pfeiffer. Very good movie, great performances esp SC, and a stunning music score by Jerry Goldsmith.

by Anonymousreply 390October 19, 2014 12:44 AM

I kinda liked Leaves of Grass with Ed Norton. It has a few character actors and Susan Sarandon. It's quirky and dark.

There is another movie, you guys wouldn't like it, but it turns up on IFC late night. Called The Last Mistress. It's a film about control and physical and emotional addictive behavior. It's really dark and the sex scenes (between man and woman) are brutal.

A sweet movie with Earl Flynn, Rosalind Russell and Olivia De Haviland called Four's a Crowd.

by Anonymousreply 391October 19, 2014 12:56 AM

Sorry, Errol Flynn.

by Anonymousreply 392October 19, 2014 1:32 AM

Does Titanic 2 count?

by Anonymousreply 393October 19, 2014 1:36 AM

"Hesher"(2010). Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as a drifter who is either going to help a family in their time of grief or murder all of them.

"Wristcutters: A Love Story"(2006). Patrick Fugit and Shannyn Sossamon: "Beetlejuice" meets "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

"Grand Theft Parsons"(2003) Johnny Knoxville, Michael Shannon, Christina Applegate. Sort of true story of the death and amateur cremation of cult musician Gram Parsons. Hilarious gay cop scene at the end. Pop-lar!

Another vote for "Ghost World"(2001). One of my favorite movies of all time. I still have a huge crush on Enid (Thora Birch).

by Anonymousreply 394October 19, 2014 2:29 AM

BTW, is it normal to have crushes on fictional characters? How about animated ones? Kim Possible?

by Anonymousreply 395October 19, 2014 2:35 AM

More fun with Flynn-R391 sparked this post...

Desperate Journey (1942) WWII adventure with a bomber crew shot down behind enemy lines making their way across Europe to the Dutch coast one step ahead of the Nazis. Thrills, action, laughs and a surprisingly charming and funny Ronald Reagan as second lead.

Never Say Goodbye (1946) Flynn and Eleanor Parker are a divorced couple whose daughter schemes to reunite them with a little help from well endowed DL fave Forrest Tucker. You haven't lived until you've seen Flynn as Santa Claus do the Marx Bros. mirror bit. All this and Hattie McDaniel, too!

The Adventures of Don Juan (1948) Flynn's last good swashbuckler puts his off screen reputation and beginning-to-fade looks to good use. A great climactic sword fight...and costumes by...TRAVILLA!

That Forsyte Woman (1949) Flynn goes dramatic as cold hearted and controlling Soames Forsyte in an partial adaptation of "The Forsyte Saga". Greer Garson and Robert Young have more screen time but Flynn shows what he could do given a chance.

Too Much, Too Soon (1958) Flynn gets to play his friend and idol, John Barrymore in the bio of Diana Barrymore, daughter of John and aunt of Drew.

Has anyone seen The Perfect Specimen (1937) with Flynn and Joan Blondell? Does it ever turn up on TCM?

by Anonymousreply 396October 19, 2014 6:01 AM

reflections in a golden eye with elizabeth taylor and marlon brando. no one of my generation seems to have discovered its campy perfection as of yet

by Anonymousreply 397October 19, 2014 6:13 AM

"The Day of the Beast" by Álex de la Iglesia.

A Spanish priest discovers that the anti-Christ is soon to be born and initially decides that there is no point in being good...

He later tries to discover and kill the child.

It's quite scary, but also laugh-out-loud funny,

by Anonymousreply 398October 19, 2014 10:56 AM

"Too Much, Too Soon (1958) Flynn gets to play his friend and idol, John Barrymore in the bio of Diana Barrymore, daughter of John and aunt of Drew."

This movie is mentioned in Bad Movies We Love. It's a scream.

by Anonymousreply 399October 19, 2014 3:40 PM

Lady in a Cage with Olivia De Havilland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400October 19, 2014 3:45 PM

I've never seen Lady in a Cage but I have seen the trailer....as a preview of coming attractions at a movie outing with my mom and her best friend to see The Thrill of it All back in 1964. My sister and I REALLY wanted to go see it. I wonder if she's ever seen it.

I need to find copies of the Bad Movies We Love books. I love most of those movies. I forgot that Too Much, Too Soon was included.

by Anonymousreply 401October 19, 2014 4:54 PM

[italic]Hot Stuff[/italic], from 1979, starring three wonderfully comic actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402October 19, 2014 5:31 PM

Has anyone mentioned I START COUNTING (1969) with the lovely Jenny Agutter? It was streaming on Netflix a couple years ago. Pan and scan, unfortunately. It's never had a proper DVD release. British drama/thriller about a 15-year-old girl who has a crush on her older brother (she was adopted into the family), who may or may not be responsible for a series of sex killings in the area. Really interesting, occasionally funny, well-acted, honest portrayal of teenage sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 403October 19, 2014 6:01 PM

Alice (2005)

Directed and written by Marco Martins. Actors: Nuno Lopes, Beatriz Batarda

In the wake of his daughter's disappearance, a father wallowing in grief feeds his desire to find her with unusual methods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404August 16, 2017 8:17 AM

Faubourg Saint-Denis (2004)

Directed by Tom Tykwer

A short film. a segment from a movie called Paris, je t'aime including short films from different directors.

This and Quartier des Enfants Rouges directed by Assayas are best segments from that film. Assayas segment is worth watching it's good and stars Maggie Gyllenhaal.

link to Tykwer's segment. find the other one by yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405August 16, 2017 8:31 AM

The Princess & the Warrior (2000)

Der Krieger und die Kaiserin (original title)

Directed by Tom Tykwer and starring Franka Potente

Young nurse Sissi lives a secluded life, seemingly entirely devoted to her patients at Birkenhof asylum. Her first encounter with ex-soldier and drifter Bodo has a lasting impact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406August 16, 2017 8:36 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 407October 28, 2017 3:40 PM

Storm Warning (1951)

Ginger Rogers

Ronald Reagan

Doris Day

Steve Cochran

Ginger Rogers is horsewhipped by the KKK after discovering that her younger sister is married to a klan member.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408October 28, 2017 3:51 PM

Dean Spanley. A surprisingly heartfelt movie about love redeemed, reincarnation, and dogs.

by Anonymousreply 409October 28, 2017 5:39 PM

Make the Yuletide Gay

VERY low budget comedy about a college guy coming out to his parents during Christmas break. Cute and charming. Has Alison Arngrim in it.

by Anonymousreply 410October 29, 2017 5:17 AM

I love my Kids In The Hall.

“The Wrong Guy” - A Dave Foley Classic! This is an all around well done movie that has a bit of a cult following for it.

“Dave Foleys The True Meaning Of Christmas Specials” originally on CBC. Dammit, I wish it would rebroadcast more often. I would love to make this an annual ritual on bluray instead of a vhs recording.

“Ham And Cheese” - Scott Thompson, Dave Foley. Other Canadian talent. Canada indy. Hilarious.

“The Kids In The Hall - Death Comes To Town.” Their most recent collaboration. Originally a mini series on CBC. Available on DVD. *Just when you think all boundaries have been crossed already, watch this series. They really get outrageous and it kicks ass.

“Falling Angels” - Mark McKinney. A Canadian indy that got raves at festivals when it came out. One of McKinneys best contributions.

by Anonymousreply 411October 29, 2017 5:55 AM

The Beguiled 1971 Starring Clint Eastwood

by Anonymousreply 412October 29, 2017 7:09 AM

Morvern Callart2002

by Anonymousreply 413October 29, 2017 7:09 AM

Hilary and Jackie 1998

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414October 29, 2017 7:10 AM

Les Innocentes (The Innocents), 2016 French film directed by Anne Fontaine, which features Lou de Laâge.

In 1945 Poland, a young French Red Cross doctor who is sent to assist the survivors of the German camps discovers several nuns in advanced states of pregnancy during a visit to a nearby convent.

An overlooked gem. Les Innocentes was nominated for 4 César: screenplay, cinematography, director and best film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415October 29, 2017 7:17 AM

Hey Guys. Don't know where to ask. I want to watch this short film called Thrive (2019) But can't find it on Amazon, Apple's TV (formerly iTunes) or YouTube. Does anyone know where I can watch it? TIA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416October 11, 2019 10:36 AM

Happy People: A Year in the Taiga - I found this on some streaming service and watched because it's a Werner Herzog documentary. It follows a Siberian fur trapper for a year. It's worth watching when you're in the mood for something different.

by Anonymousreply 417October 11, 2019 6:20 PM

I love this one. Saw it in the theater when I was 6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418October 12, 2019 6:09 AM

I found DL via this thread link in March 2014. Been quite a 5 year slice.

by Anonymousreply 419October 12, 2019 6:33 AM

For those not subtitle-challenged:

Denmark: Anklaget (Accused); Fear Me Not; Long Story Short; Blinkende Lygter (Flickering Lights)

Japan: My Dad and Mr. Ito; Shoplifters

Germany: Das letzte Schweigen (The Silence); Hot Dog

Italy: Non Ti Movere (Don't Move); Perfetti sconosciuti (Perfect Strangers)

Spain: Cannibal; Contratiempo (The Invisible Guest)

France: La Vie Devant Soi (Madame Rosa)

Russia: 12 (2007)

India: Te3n (Teen); Photograph; The Lunchbox

China: Black Coal, Thin Ice

by Anonymousreply 420October 12, 2019 6:53 AM

I watched City Streets just for some young Gary Cooper (which was good), but Sylvia Sidney was the standout, and the movie was surprisingly good too, for an unknown early talkie.

by Anonymousreply 421October 12, 2019 9:21 AM

R10 Of course you liked WILD TARGET. Its from Jonathan Lynn, the brilliant director of CLUE and MY COUSIN VINNY. Need to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 422October 12, 2019 9:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!