Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will Christianity ever topple?

Empires fall, and so do religions. Will Christianity ever die out, or is it too widespread and virulent to die?

by Anonymousreply 112October 2, 2018 3:25 AM

Of course it will. The question is WHEN, not if.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2011 11:43 AM

Already happening in developed countries, OP. Take a look at this graph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2011 11:49 AM

What other religions died out as big as Christianity? The Abrahamic religions have never died out as far as I know. The world is never going to turn Atheist by majority. People need religion, and they're not going to start making up new ones, especially the ones that offer so much bigotry for them.

The Catholic Church, an institution, will probably be relegated to third world countries though.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2011 12:00 PM

44% attendance for the US seems really high. I think if actual attendance figures were used rather than survey results the number would be considerably lower.

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2011 12:05 PM

Will OP ever topple over from his computer after posting non-stop, obsessive threads about a faith he obviously hates yet is so obsessed by, he simply can't help it but to make a complete nuisance of himself here?

Well? Will he?

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2011 12:09 PM

Go back to freakrepublic, R5, and jerk yourself off to Ricky Perry and Michelle Bachmann.

Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2011 12:12 PM

It's not really about church attendance. It's about identifying as Christians. I think certain Protestant denominations will die out, or combine with others, but I don't see Christianity dying out.

I think the Catholic Church is shrinking dramatically, but they cover a lot of real estate so they won't die out, and I believe that since they pander to the wealthy, reactionary industrialists worldwide, they'll remain very influential in all sorts of bad ways.

The phenomenon of the "born again Christians" movement, fundamentalism, etc. is taking hold among the Latino population, as many of them abandon the traditional loyalty to the Catholic Church.I saw a program several years ago on PBS about it and was surprised.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2011 12:13 PM

Yes it seems high but that's because it's a measure of people who SAY they go to church at least once a week. As Christopher Hitchens once pointed out, there aren't enough pews to accommodate all of the Americans who claim to go to church every Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2011 12:14 PM

Of course it would die out, just like the Norse gods Odin and Thor and the Greek gods Zeus and Hercules. In the future people will refer to Christianity as American mythology, just like Greek or Norse mythology.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2011 12:29 PM

Thanks r2, great graph.I wonder why Germany isn't included? I notice that the Scandinavian countries with the highest white demographic are least religious...and having lived in Sweden a while, know that they have the highest ethical and moral standards of any developed country. Japan too, highly ethical. This continues to illustrate religions devious role in politics and social inadequacy.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2011 12:35 PM

Christianity will not die. Check some continents other than Europe.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2011 12:43 PM

If Christianity topples then how will people know morality? We will be a nation of adulters, murderers, rapists, gays, and thiefs.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2011 12:48 PM

is it dying. i believe many people lie to family and friends about being believers, as they don't want to deal with the shitstorm that comes from being an "out" atheist. but they're still atheists on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2011 12:52 PM

OP, you're obsessed to the point of needing psychiatric help.

I practice no religion and if I followed a faith, it could possibly be Christianity or something else, I don't know.

But what's with your obsessive, non-stop postings about this?

It's a religion. It's been around over 2,000 years.

Why does no other faith or religion frustrate you as much? Are you not equally irritated by Islam?

Live and let live OP and stop obsessing over things you claim you want no part of.

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2011 12:56 PM

The only religious people in Europe are immigrants who are mostly Muslims. The rest are agnostics/atheist and even those who identify as Christians barely visit the church.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2011 12:58 PM

It will never die.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2011 1:09 PM

It will die. Not in our lifetimes, not in the lifetimes of anyone alive today or of anyone they will ever know, but sometime in the future it will die. Barring a great revival, the slow death has started.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2011 1:24 PM

R15 you're partly right.

Read the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2011 1:39 PM

Considering the the worlds standard time and date are based on Christianity......

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2011 2:29 PM

Christianity will survive as long as the human race does.

And given global warming, that isn't saying a whole lot.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2011 2:41 PM

[quote]The phenomenon of the "born again Christians" movement, fundamentalism, etc. is taking hold among the Latino population, as many of them abandon the traditional loyalty to the Catholic Church.I saw a program several years ago on PBS about it and was surprised.

The JW's and other fundie groups regularly spread out and blanket Latino neighborhoods for recruitment of new arrivals. I used to have neighbors from El Salvador and some evangelical church got a hold of them and they went from being friendly and letting their kids play with neighborhood kids to isolating them and spending all their time at church and not speaking to any neighbors at all.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2011 2:49 PM

Great R15. Your right however. It's sad how one intolerent religion is being replaced by another.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2011 2:51 PM

I don't believe it will die any time soon, but I do believe most mainstream churches that don't want to be marginalized will drop their anti-gay stances within, say, 10 to 20 years.

Presbyterian USA has already affirmed ordaining partnered glb ministers, though whether to do so is voluntary by each individual church.

But don't forget, it wasn't that long ago -- 1976 -- the Southern Baptists officially did not allow black people even to attend ! their churches. And that only changed when Jimmy Carter was running for president and a group of Yankee liberals, including some African-Americans, went down to Plains and attended the church, just to see if they would be thrown out.

Likewise most mainstream churches had strong opinions against interracial marriage, unmarried pregnancies, unmarried heterosexuals living together, and so on.

But now, if they stopped performing marriages for people who lived together before the wedding, they wouldn't have any weddings at all.

Regardless of their bigotry and stamp-their-feet insistence the Bible prohibits gay sex, I'm guessing as a practical matter, when they see people abandoning them in droves and their ability to solicit donations drying up, they'll adapt to modern life and pretend they've discovered a new interpretation of Leviticus and Romans.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2011 2:56 PM

Something buried in the dirt cannot topple.

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2011 3:02 PM

Of course it will eventually die out, or evolve so much that it will not be considered the same religion, just as every preceding religion has done before it. Christianity today has very little in common with the faith as it began.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2011 3:20 PM

[quote]"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2011 3:26 PM

Yes, but it will take centuries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2011 3:31 PM

Shit -- even DL is infested with these Xtians.

Will the gays ever stop licking the boots of the heteros?

by Anonymousreply 28September 27, 2011 1:40 AM

You can't equate church attendance with who may or may not be xtian. Many non believers go to church and many believers don't .

by Anonymousreply 29September 27, 2011 2:06 AM

Most people get real gung ho about that garbage and then like most faddish things in their lives, they forget about it. But there's always a fresh crop of dummies to fall for it.

by Anonymousreply 30September 27, 2011 2:13 AM

After the Rapture.

by Anonymousreply 31September 27, 2011 2:20 AM

It will die when aliens officially announce their presence. In fact, all religion will pretty much got out the window.

It will happen.

by Anonymousreply 32September 27, 2011 2:32 AM

Jesus: "I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."Matthew 16:18

by Anonymousreply 33September 27, 2011 2:45 AM

Jesus, cupcake, you also said:

[quote]"Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." - Matthew 16:28

I think maybe you've been turning a little too much water into wine, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 34September 27, 2011 1:15 PM

R9, the Greeks stopped worshipping Zeus because Christianity was decreed the official religion of the Roman Empire. It wasn't because they lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 35September 27, 2011 1:31 PM

He'll come back just in time to save the faith.

by Anonymousreply 36September 27, 2011 1:56 PM

That's not what he told you, R36.

Who are you to to contradict your Lord and God?

by Anonymousreply 37September 27, 2011 2:19 PM

Saying this as someone who went to Catholic school as a child, I believe that the day is coming when the Church has a modern day Schism, The Anglican churches of the developing world splitting from the "western" churches have set the precedent. I also believe that a flashpoint issue, probably a gay one, will be the one that will pull it apart

by Anonymousreply 38September 27, 2011 2:30 PM

This thread is really useless unless it considers that people will likely not be able to survive more than another couple of centuries, and the church which would have almost certainly have run out of steam sooner or later will still be around as long as we all are.

by Anonymousreply 39September 27, 2011 3:13 PM

The table in R2 killed Germany.

by Anonymousreply 40September 27, 2011 4:24 PM

I kind of envy the Whore of Babylon - she sounds like she got laid a lot and was a cool slut!

[quote] 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication.

And I love this picture - she's got all the men under her spell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2013 12:47 AM

Of course it will. Every successive generation has less use for it.

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2013 12:59 AM

of course, but not in our lifetimes. Not for hundreds of years probably.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2013 6:36 AM

It's so pathetic. Today I saw a crappy car with a "JESUS SAVES" bumper sticker. Saves what? It didn't save you from poverty.

So dumb. There never was a "Jesus" and he didn't save anything.

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2013 7:43 PM

There are two things which could change Christianity in the future (1) A cure for death (see ya J-man) on the one side or, (2) Making sodomy a sacrament which would bring in us gays with all our flair and rescue The Church forever.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2013 7:52 PM

[quote]Japan too, highly ethical.

Oh, really??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2013 7:55 PM

I hope so. It has truly ruined and delayed the development of human society for the last 2000 years. The world would have been so much better off without it. For all the "virtues" these Xtians claim to have, so many of the leaders and followers go against their own rules. Full of hypocrisy.

Like any religion, I think it will die down eventually but not for at least a few hundred more years.

We need to get rid of Xtianity, Islam and Judaism. I'm an atheist, but the other non-monotheistic religions seem to be much more tolerable than those 3. Xtianity and Islam are the biggest threats because they have so many followers. I don't think any of those religions will completely disappear but the world would be FAR better off if the number of followers could dwindle down to a few thousand, and maybe confine them all 1 single country.

Other ancient cultures were much more advanced socially until Xtianity and later Islam invaded.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2014 9:08 PM

When the Earth succumbs to the cancer called Religion, then Christianity might die out, but NASA is currently looking for life supporting planets while the world's 1% is building spaceships for themselves. Religion will go with them to infect somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2014 9:50 PM

it's pure evil. I would love to glimpse into a future of no religion but there will always be idiots who can't live without believing in something that doesn't exist. Monotheistic believers seem to be the most idiotic though as they're hell-bent on ruining the rest of our lives

by Anonymousreply 49November 30, 2014 9:12 AM

it's far too widespread. It confirms how widespread mental illness is. Lots of Christians are harmless people just looking for a way to make life easier.

by Anonymousreply 50November 30, 2014 9:20 AM

Bill Cosby

by Anonymousreply 51November 30, 2014 9:23 AM

No, it won't topple, because truth is eternal.

He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

by Anonymousreply 52November 30, 2014 9:23 AM

[quote]We need to get rid of Xtianity, Islam and Judaism.

Judaism is considered a "religion" only in the US. Everywhere else, Jews are considered a separate national and cultural identity.

by Anonymousreply 53November 30, 2014 9:32 AM

Yes, I think we should continue to try to topple Christianity...that way we can create a vacuum for the loving,peaceful and VERY tolerant religion of Islam to sweep in.

After all, Islam has SUCH a better track record on its approach to and treatment of homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 54November 30, 2014 9:40 AM

Everything you ever knew, the buildings we live in, the pyramids and any semblance of human life will be wiped out by time in 2,000 years.

by Anonymousreply 55November 30, 2014 9:44 AM

Er, no, [R:53].

by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2014 9:54 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 57November 30, 2014 9:56 AM

r53, yours is the stupidest post ever on this website, and, as you might suspect, that's saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 58November 30, 2014 9:59 AM

R56, R58 Learn something, morons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 30, 2014 10:18 AM

All dogmatic spiritual belief will die out in the not-too-distant future. The world is too interconnected and we know too much about our existence for there to be any sound basis for that kind of faith. Whether it's the Torah, Bible or Koran, the holes are so blindingly obvious only the truly deluded or uneducated will continue to believe.

But it won't be replaced by atheism, which is too cold and clinical for most people. Some sort of spiritualism, probably borrowing strongly from Buddhism, will replace Christianity.

by Anonymousreply 60November 30, 2014 10:39 AM

r59, you are going all in, aren't you?

Judaism is one of the three major monotheistic religions of the WORLD.

To claim otherwise is to demonstrate PROFOUND IGNORANCE.

"Judaism is a monotheistic religion, with the Torah as its foundational text (part of the larger text known as the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible), and supplemental oral tradition represented by later texts such as the Midrash and the Talmud."

"Of the major world religions, Judaism is considered one of the oldest monotheistic religions."(Wiki)

"Of course, Judaism is a religion, and it is this religion that forms the central element of the Jewish culture that binds Jews together as a nation. It is the religion that defines foods as being kosher and non-kosher, and this underlies Jewish cuisine. It is the religion that sets the calendar of Jewish feast and fast days, and it is the religion that has preserved the Hebrew language.

Is Judaism an ethnicity? In short, not any more. Although Judaism arose out of a single ethnicity in the Middle East, there have always been conversions into and out of the religion. Thus, there are those who may have been ethnically part of the original group who are no longer part of Judaism, and those of other ethnic groups who have converted into Judaism.

If you are referring to a nation in the sense of race, Judaism is not a nation. People are free to convert into Judaism; once converted, they are considered the same as if they were born Jewish. This is not true for a race." (Jewish Virtual Library)

by Anonymousreply 61November 30, 2014 10:44 AM

[quote]All dogmatic spiritual belief will die out in the not-too-distant future.

Humans will be extinct from overpopulation, toxic environment and the wars caused therefrom long before that happens.

by Anonymousreply 62November 30, 2014 10:47 AM

OP posted this over three years ago, and Christianity is still here

by Anonymousreply 63November 30, 2014 10:48 AM

R61 There isn't anyone from the Atlantic to the Arafura Sea who does not consider Jews a separate national and cultural identity and as with any nation, that includes belief system, language and laws. Your cobbled together definitions have no basis in reality.

And while you're at it, you may want to learn the different between "race" and "nation".

by Anonymousreply 64November 30, 2014 10:56 AM

France does not have "a belief system." Russia has no "belief system." The United States has no "belief system." Etc.

I have not "cobbled together" anything, you complete fool, r64. These are basic definitions. Basic FACTS.

Would you claim Islam is only cultural and not a religion, restricted to, say, Saudi Arabia?

No, I'll bet not.

And while YOU'RE at it, you might want to check "race" versus "ethnicity."

by Anonymousreply 65November 30, 2014 11:45 AM

[quote]These are basic definitions. Basic FACTS.

R65 has spoken! Therefore it must be true.

(You may want to get out of your mum's basement and experience a bit of the real world.)

by Anonymousreply 66November 30, 2014 11:59 AM

You might want to get out of the Aryan Brotherhood.

by Anonymousreply 67November 30, 2014 12:05 PM

Christianity will never be as powerful as it was in the Middle Ages. The Reformation splintered it and the Enlightenment challenged it.

It's been waning for centuries. It just isn't as visible.

by Anonymousreply 68November 30, 2014 12:10 PM

r9, speak for yourself. Horus and Pan LIVE!

by Anonymousreply 69November 30, 2014 12:21 PM

Christianity will become once again the world's main religion. It might not seem like it now, with the threat from Islam and the scandals that rock the Catholic church, but you have to consider that there isn't a mightier force in the universe than the power of the Christ.

by Anonymousreply 70November 30, 2014 12:56 PM

OP, why aren't you asking this question about Islam?

by Anonymousreply 71November 30, 2014 3:45 PM

If what you say is true, R61, then why are Jews obsessed with matrilineal bloodlines?

by Anonymousreply 72November 30, 2014 3:53 PM

r72 Because you can always be sure of the baby that a woman has given birth too. Even in closely segregated and repressed societies, the father of a baby could be just about ANY male.

by Anonymousreply 73November 30, 2014 4:27 PM

But R73, why do they care at all? If it's just a religion.

by Anonymousreply 74November 30, 2014 4:30 PM

I think eventually ALL religion will topple as more and more scientific advances are made. Younger people are not as involved in religion these days. Heck, even most of the old folks in my family have stopped going to church and are either agnostic or down right atheist or just don't care one way or the other.

by Anonymousreply 75November 30, 2014 4:32 PM

I love R5!

by Anonymousreply 76November 30, 2014 4:34 PM

You notice that most science fiction writers do not have people attending a Christian church in their works.

Or and any Earth church that I recall.

by Anonymousreply 77November 30, 2014 4:39 PM

The Pope (Benedict) stated at one point that the discovery of life on another planet would not challenge or be inconsistent with the veracity of the Church. Something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 78November 30, 2014 4:46 PM

Christianity will never topple.

Voltaire said, "If God did not exist, man would have created him". The Church says that God created man with a desire to seek God out.

by Anonymousreply 79November 30, 2014 4:51 PM

When you lose a friend or family loved-one to death, the emptiness is awful. The idea of an afterlife where we see them again is comforting.

by Anonymousreply 80November 30, 2014 4:51 PM

I expect that man will destroy civilization in the next hundred years. Pakistan has the Bomb, and is filled with extremists. It will not be long before the nut-jobs get ahold of that Bomb. That will be terrible. Couple that with global warming, and we're in for a reckoning.

Man needs religion, especially in times of such tribulation.

by Anonymousreply 81November 30, 2014 4:55 PM

A belief in an afterlife has nothing to do with Christianity. Most ancient civilizations believed in an afterlife.

The only reason man needs religion is to blame it on "god" and not on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 82November 30, 2014 5:11 PM

can't happen soon enough

Think about how much further we would have been had monotheism not taken us hostage during the middle ages and slowed down science.

by Anonymousreply 83November 30, 2014 5:43 PM

Not that I really care, but I find it amazing that none of you (us) knows if you'll even be alive tomorrow...yet you can see into the future and are 100% certain Christianity will 'topple'.

The victims of 9/11 could have really used your insight. Oh, and the Japanese tsunami would have been nice to know about beforehand..

by Anonymousreply 84November 30, 2014 7:43 PM

R84 no religions have survived forever. Look up all the past religions that are now extinct.

by Anonymousreply 85November 30, 2014 11:13 PM

Is OP a freakin' Muslim?

Now that is the religion that needs to die out, and fast.

Did you see on CBS how the US gives 45000 tons of food to Syria a month and the Syrians are attacking Christians?

Why do we bother helping countries undeserving of help?

There are people right here in the United States that could use that food and the aid provided to people who hate everything.

Religion of piece, sure, a piece of you here, a piece of you there.

by Anonymousreply 86December 1, 2014 12:33 AM

[quote] Why do we bother helping countries undeserving of help?

Because the people helping are Christians, so it doesn't matter the religion of the helped. That is also why Christianity will last a millennia. It's different from most religions, you know, the ones that died out.

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2014 1:49 AM

I'm more interested in Islam biting the dust. No disrespect to any Muslims. That religious extremism needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2014 1:56 AM

Grace will never topple.

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2014 2:42 AM

Definitely it's not being replaced. Islam will eventually replace Christianity as the most popular religion. Hinduism is now approaching the one billion mark and Christianity is just over 2 billion. Islam is about 1.5 billion and growing.

So yes in about 500 years Islam will win out, with pockets of other religion like Hinduism in India.

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2014 2:46 AM

R90, you really think you can see 500 years in the future?

500 years ago was 1514. The new world was just discovered 22 years earlier. Good grief, even people predicting the future in 1960 are way off today.

George Orwell was pretty close in "1984", if you push the date ahead 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 91December 1, 2014 2:53 AM

The Christians are coming across as very threatened.

by Anonymousreply 92December 1, 2014 2:55 AM

I should add:

...and R90, you're no George Orwell!

(He's dead so that's a good thing.)

by Anonymousreply 93December 1, 2014 2:56 AM

Monotheistic religion has ruined society

by Anonymousreply 94December 2, 2014 2:15 AM

No. Atheists, agnostics, and other religious non-affiliates are a dying breed in Asia. According to a Pew Research Center study released last week, Asia’s shrinking pool of men and women who don’t identify with any religion are driving a drop in the proportion of “religious nones” in the world. The percentage of the unaffiliated in Asia Pacific—home to about 76% of the world’s unaffiliated—will fall to 17% in 2050 from 21%, Pew estimates. Even though the percentage of non-religious is growing in North America and Europe, this drop in Asia and the growth of religious communities elsewhere will mean the unaffiliated will make up only 13% of the world’s population in 2050, down from 16% in 2010.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 7, 2015 4:12 AM

Christianity will never topple because it's the truth, and the truth is eternal.

by Anonymousreply 96April 7, 2015 4:41 AM

Never. Deeply rooted in history since the beginning of time. A great source of comfort and strength to those who truly believe in the power of God, the goodness of faith, the power of prayer, and life everlasting.

by Anonymousreply 97April 7, 2015 4:49 AM

it will inevitably, as all things do.

by Anonymousreply 98April 7, 2015 4:55 AM

Christianity will prevail, it will make a strong comeback in western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 99April 7, 2015 4:55 AM

I think eventually in history it will but sadly not in our lifetime. As more and more scientific advancements are made, more lies taught in religion are exposed. It's not enough for stupid people who blindly follow their faith though.

by Anonymousreply 100April 7, 2015 4:58 AM

[quote]Deeply rooted in history since the beginning of time

Are you an idiot? 2,000 years ago is not the beginning of time.

by Anonymousreply 101April 7, 2015 4:58 AM

The Jesus Way is here to Stay!

by Anonymousreply 102April 7, 2015 4:59 AM

R101 has no friends, and spends much of his time drinking alone.

by Anonymousreply 103April 7, 2015 5:11 AM

It's interesting how rapidly new religions usurped old ones in the past. That will never happen now. I think dogma will ultimately slide - there's just too much evidence against it - but I think some sort of spiritual belief will continue.

I do think that the increasing craziness of the Religious Right will be a big turn off for young Americas. Levels of atheism will definitely rise as result.

by Anonymousreply 104April 7, 2015 5:19 AM

Everything dies out.

by Anonymousreply 105April 7, 2015 3:23 PM

No. It's in its 3rd millennium.

by Anonymousreply 106September 30, 2018 6:40 PM

Nope.

There have always been psychics, charlatans and bone-rattling witch doctors and there always will be.

But we can reduce the number of people who buy into bullshit to a minor fringe, like fortune tellers.

Same goes for Islam, Judaism, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 30, 2018 6:52 PM

No, OP. It's been a way to control people for thousands of years. As long as you promise them: 1) their bad-bads can be erased; and ) you don't die... it will thrive and flourish.

I just always thought it was funny that Europeans would worship a penniless, barefoot Jew from the Middle East. But I guess he was poor and common, and that's something they could identify with and embrace (away in a manger...).

I guess the King's scribes thought nobody would ever, ever travel to that area of the world and see it was just a pile of rocks. And a pile of lies.

by Anonymousreply 108September 30, 2018 8:03 PM

Maybe when America is hit by a nuclear bomb or when Aliens land in D.C.

by Anonymousreply 109September 30, 2018 8:24 PM

Interesting thread, op.

It is written...

by Anonymousreply 110October 2, 2018 3:20 AM

Not with Christianity-related characters like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Jesus and Satan being so popular in the culture. These things will last and last.

by Anonymousreply 111October 2, 2018 3:24 AM

Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I'll be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first – rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.

by Anonymousreply 112October 2, 2018 3:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!