Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Kate Winslet know Sam Mendes was gay?

Was that bearding or was she fooled?

by Anonymousreply 291March 31, 2018 8:01 PM

I think that Kyle Melendez is hot, is he gay too? Or is it just jail sex to him?

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2011 11:51 PM

She joked in an interview that Mendes is a closeted heterosexual. So she must have been aware of the rumors.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2011 11:55 PM

Kate, on the possibility that her son could be gay: In an interview with V magazine, the ballsy thespian revealed a conversation she had with her son about his future love life. %E2%80%9CI like being in the city. I like the diversity that my children are exposed to every day. I love the way their brains work. (My son) Joe turns to me the other day and says %E2%80%98One day I will have a girlfriend or a boyfriend, darling. Which would you prefer?%E2%80%99 And I said, %E2%80%98My love, that would be entirely up to you, and it doesn%E2%80%99t make any difference to me.%E2%80%99 But that he knows! It%E2%80%99s a real privilege. Talk about the best education.%E2%80%9D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2011 11:58 PM

She thought she was hitching her train to a rising star director, gay or straight, didn't matter. When things didn't pan out, it was time to cut ties.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2011 12:02 AM

Sam Mendes is dead?

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2011 6:12 AM

Fuck, R6 is back.

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2011 6:25 AM

Thank you R6. I am new here and the first thing I picked up on was the misogamy. I just don't understand. Someone explain please if you can without just saying something ugly like R7

by Anonymousreply 8November 10, 2012 12:24 PM

[quote]One day I will have a girlfriend or a boyfriend, darling.

Is it an English thing to call your mother darling? I find it really weird.

by Anonymousreply 9November 10, 2012 2:19 PM

He directs Musical Comedy. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 10November 10, 2012 2:32 PM

misogamy - only having sex with a man who hates women?

by Anonymousreply 11November 10, 2012 2:38 PM

OK, r6, I'll bite.

Where in this thread has anyone exhibited misogyny, let alone violent misogyny, in addressing the question of Kate Winslet's understanding of her ex-husband's sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 12November 10, 2012 2:55 PM

r6 ws posting that stuff randomly throughout DL; it's not thread-specific.

by Anonymousreply 13November 10, 2012 3:00 PM

Kate Winslet's son calls her "darling"?

by Anonymousreply 14November 10, 2012 3:25 PM

To answer OP's question:

Of course she knew. Ian McKellen told her.

by Anonymousreply 15November 10, 2012 7:04 PM

Correction: Did Kate Winsley know Sam Mendes is [bold]bisexual[/bold]?

by Anonymousreply 16November 10, 2012 7:07 PM

Calling mama "darling" just may be little Joe's dialing with a pencil moment.

by Anonymousreply 17November 10, 2012 8:12 PM

R16:

Same answer.

by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2012 8:37 PM

r17 rofl

by Anonymousreply 19November 10, 2012 10:32 PM

Fuck, I though he fronted Brazil '66!

by Anonymousreply 20November 10, 2012 10:33 PM

Sorry, I can't tell if the Ian McKellan comment was a joke or not. Also, is Mendes still "dating" Hall? Very strange that we've (or at least I've) never seen a single picture of them or read/heard about a sighting of them together since his rep confirmed their relationship over a year ago. Are they being VERY discreet or is their relationship over? Mystery.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2012 6:07 AM

For a lot of ambitious people it doesn't matter who they partner up with as long these people are useful to them.

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2012 8:44 AM

One thing I found strange is that Hall was cited as a home wrecker from day one when SM and KW announced their divorce. Mendes and Hall denied it, then an announcement is made a year later that they are in a relationship. Call me naive, but wouldn't a hook-up with the person whose marriage she was accused of breaking up hurt her career? They both kind of came out of it looking like liars, so I have to wonder what either of them is gaining from announcing their relationship; though, as I mentioned previously, I have not seen/read about a single sighting of them together. Is he offering her movie biz contacts if she agrees to "be his girlfriend"?

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2012 12:13 PM

"For a lot of ambitious people it doesn't matter who they partner up with as long these people are useful to them."

I think not just for ambitious people, that's the reasoning behind most relationships.

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2012 12:26 PM

The McKellen comment is no joke.

Serena "mentored" Sam just out of university, introducing him around the London theater world and getting him connected enough to start directing at the Donmar Warehouse. In exchange, Sam was seen in public with Serena as a couple for a few years. Once Sam was able to direct based on his own reputation, he ended his relationship with Serena.

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2012 7:47 PM

Interesting, thanks for the response, Maggie S. Pardon my ignorance, but I have a few questions.

1. Who is Serena? 2. At what point during KW's relationship with SM did Ian tell her about SM? 3. Do you think RH is using SM for connections in exchange for appearing to be in a relationship?

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2012 9:50 PM

Aha, Serena is IM's nickname. Got it. Still wondering about the other things, though.

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2012 2:00 AM

Sad Menses is gay?

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2012 2:48 AM

Sam Mendes is not gay. He is with Rebecca Hall and they are expecting a child together or have just had the baby. Sam was cheating on Kate with Rebecca in the end days of their marriage.

Kate 's over the top Oscar campaign behavior was either the final straw, or the symptom of the unravelling of the marriage. Kate was so supportive and gushing about Leo I think it was the final put down for Sam. But he obviously hasn't learned the lesson to never marry an actress.

by Anonymousreply 29November 13, 2012 2:54 AM

I bet Mendes couldn't stand the fact that Winslet is more famous than him. He is a total fame whore.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2012 3:23 AM

[quote]Sam Mendes is not gay. He is with Rebecca Hall and they are expecting a child together or have just had the baby. Sam was cheating on Kate with Rebecca in the end days of their marriage.

So? Sam doesn't want to admit he's gay.....it just keeps leaking out in all his films and theatre productions.

by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2012 3:26 AM

Oh jeez, give it a rest. He's obviously not gay.

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2012 3:34 AM

He's not gay. But her son probably is.

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2012 3:36 AM

He revised both Company and Cabaret and added gay content to both, he directed American Beauty, he lovingly photographed Jake Gyllenhaal's ass and other swarthy GIs in Jarhead,um...Skyfall....he's in the British theatre....

yeah no issues there....

by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2012 3:39 AM

Is is bi, but mostly gay?

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2012 3:40 AM

He's straight in a Tony Richardson/Laurence Olivier/ Kenneth Brannagh kind of way....

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2012 3:43 AM

Kate famously and unpopularly dumped her first husband practically the nanosecond she met and tarted working with Mendes. The poor sap first husband had put his own career on hold a bit so he could watch their kid while Kate FLEW . . . . so high that she could almost touch the sky . . .

She's an odd bitch.

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2012 3:51 AM

Winslet's first husband was a nobody assistant director when they met. It is hard to believe his career was somewhat stalled because of their brief marriage.

[quote]When he and Winslet met, in 1997 on the set of Hideous Kinky he was a 'third assistant director', way down the food chain from her role as principal artist, although he had already rapidly worked his way up from his first job as a production runner on London's Burning.

[quote]Was it particularly difficult, I ask him, untactfully, that Kate went off with another film director? 'It didn't factor. I mean we're hardly in the same game. Sam is highly acclaimed, quite rightly so, but it wasn't "Oh shit, this guy, the director of American Beauty, is eclipsing everything I ever wanted." I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for his work, and subsequently I've found out over the years that he's a fantastic person to be in Mia's life. The hardest thing with divorce when children are involved is working out how the new relationship will work. You are obligated to generate new terms of friendship quickly, and I had beers with Sam as soon as possible so that there was never going to be this sense that we couldn't talk.'

I think the money he got as a divorce settlement made it possible for him to spend six years writing and developing his first film. So he did all right.

Winslet and Mendes worked together for the first time on Revolutionary Road, years into their marriage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2012 4:29 AM

Sam Mendes digs pussy as it seems. Sorry, guys you are wrong!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2012 2:39 PM

When you are ambitious you suck cock or lick pussy to get the foot in the door and from there go further either sleeping your way to the middle and make it to the top with sheer luck and talent or crash and burn thanks to lack of talent and luck.

by Anonymousreply 40November 13, 2012 2:46 PM

No clue either way about Sam Mendes (gay or not)...but his paramour, Rebecca Hall is working on a movie right now (with one of my faves Richard Madden), which is why she is not at the premieres of Skyfall. As for Kate Winslet, can't get a bead on her. I think she is a great actress but something about her leaves me cold.

I will say Sam is a good director. I thought Away We Go was underrated.

by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2012 4:05 PM

"Ex-gay," but not the religious kind.

by Anonymousreply 42November 13, 2012 4:08 PM

r29 where did you get the news that Rebecca Hall is pregnant or just had a child with Sam Mendes?

by Anonymousreply 43November 13, 2012 4:18 PM

Sam Mendes did not "add" anything gay to Cabaret. Check out the source material, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 44November 13, 2012 4:40 PM

Agree R17 I think Joe was starting to come out early so going public with his sexual orientation won't be a big deal

Any woman who gets naked and slips into a tub with a boy is the same one who'd call her son darling. She's so pretentious and annoying. Can't abide anything she acts in.

I believe she spread the rumors about Sam. He probably stood up to her for CHEATING with Leo. She wants a man with sperm but no balls

by Anonymousreply 45November 13, 2012 5:16 PM

STOP TRASHING KATE WINSLET. SHE IS OK. YOU GOT HER WRONG DUDES.

by Anonymousreply 46November 13, 2012 5:22 PM

Ugh! Winslet sounds like the sort of woman who treats gay men like accessories. The 'darling' comment reminded me of the AbFab scene where Edina desperately wants Saffy to be gay. Sarah Jessica Parker is another of those mothers that seems to have a similar dynamic with her son.

by Anonymousreply 47November 13, 2012 5:33 PM

Actually, r47, she sounds like a great parent and for gay people to be dissing her because she tells her son she's ok if he turns out gay is twisted.

by Anonymousreply 48November 13, 2012 5:40 PM

R48, my discomfort stems from the impression I get that even if Winslet's son turns out to be gay, this will be all about Kate and what a great mother she is. I applaud supportive parents, but Winslet and SJP come across as attention hungry mothers who try to make it all about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 49November 13, 2012 5:48 PM

R49 it's the press that forces them to make a statement. In an interview you have to say something, you can't close your mouth and answer with a yes or no all the time. Kate wanted to be friendly and not hostile.

by Anonymousreply 50November 13, 2012 5:54 PM

[quote]misogamy - only having sex with a man who hates women?

Thank God -- I thought it was akin to marrying soup.

by Anonymousreply 51November 13, 2012 5:59 PM

She really thought that he was just being an eccentric artist when he made her wear a mustache and a strap-on every time they had sex

by Anonymousreply 52November 13, 2012 6:29 PM

Lol, R52. Fuck you! You sicko!

by Anonymousreply 53November 13, 2012 6:34 PM

R52 if Mendes wanted a man in his bed then how do you explain the fact that he chose a woman with a very big bosom like Kate?

by Anonymousreply 54November 13, 2012 6:37 PM

Pushing this thread up...noticed Sam and Rebecca both went to the Empire Awards, but there were no pictures of them together and he didn't mention her in his acceptance speeches. Have any of you seen pictures of them together or read sightings about them since their relationship was "confirmed" at the end of 2011? I just find it odd that there's nothing out there, which leads me to believe that they 1. Broke up, or 2. Weren't dating to begin with. Unless they're being REALLY secretive, but even then it's like, you admitted the relationship, it's been a year and a half since the confirmation...surely there would at least be a spotted-at-dinner sighting. Do they never go out in public together? Just curious; the whole thing seems a little odd.

by Anonymousreply 55April 2, 2013 12:30 AM

I know a woman whom he slept with, not anyone who could do anything for him career-wise. He's not gay.

by Anonymousreply 56April 2, 2013 12:37 AM

I don't understand the Ned Rocknroll thing either

by Anonymousreply 57April 2, 2013 12:43 AM

Considering she's now Kate Rocknroll (nee Winslet), I'd wager that she just has shit taste in men.

by Anonymousreply 58April 2, 2013 12:46 AM

That last name...

by Anonymousreply 59April 2, 2013 12:53 AM

@56 - is this someone before or after Kate? Also, it's funny how there are people definitively saying he's gay and others definitively saying he's not.

by Anonymousreply 60April 2, 2013 1:16 AM

Before.

by Anonymousreply 61April 2, 2013 1:20 AM

@56 Interesting, thanks. There was a blind item this past December about an Academy Award winning/nominated actress who always thought her ex-husband was gay because they only ever, ahem, did it with the lights off and he would insist on, double ahem, having her butt each time. The blind goes on to say that they did manage to make a child/children so it couldn't have been every time. Top guess? Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes. It's in the December 2012 archives on crazydaysandnights.net.

by Anonymousreply 62April 2, 2013 1:35 AM

I seem to recall that Jane Horrocks and Calista Flockhart also spent quality time with Mendes.

At a guess SM is bisexual, like his stage/screen elders (the late) Tony Richardson and (supposedly) Mike Nichols.

'Why go through life with one hand tied behind your back', indeed.

by Anonymousreply 63April 2, 2013 7:30 AM

According to a poster on Mumsnet he dated Jude Law. Anyone know of any others besides Jude and Ian McKellan? I wonder why there's secrecy regarding the relationships with men but not necessarily with women when he's not a leading male actor with a fantasy to uphold for female audiences.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2013 12:08 AM

R64 I imagine producers might feel better if a director is straight for a big budget high profile project.

(In the sense that Gable got Cukor canned from GWTW for giving too much screen time to the female leads.)

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2013 12:38 AM

Have you guys heard of/read the book "Working Like a Homosexual: Camp, Capital, Cinema" by Matthew Tinkcom? Came across this excerpt:

"In American Beauty, gay male director Sam Mendes..."

Surely his PR knew about the book, no? The book was published in 2002, in the early days of his relationship with Kate Winslet.

by Anonymousreply 66June 11, 2013 9:40 PM

Kyle Melendez?

Any relation to the sexy Ron Melendez?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 11, 2013 9:43 PM

Was that an attempt at outing him or just sloppy research?

by Anonymousreply 68June 11, 2013 9:44 PM

Bi-er than bi.

by Anonymousreply 69June 11, 2013 9:45 PM

I tried to paste the link to the excerpt but when I went to post the message it wouldn't let me post. You can find the excerpt by doing a Google search with the appropriate key words.

To R68: Strange right? That's why I'm wondering if SM's publicist knew about the book, and if they did did they care? Sam had publicly dated Jane Horrocks, Rachel Weisz, and was in a relationship with Kate Winslet when the book was published, and yet you have the author stating SM as being gay (not even bi). How does that work?

by Anonymousreply 70June 11, 2013 9:58 PM

R66 is correct; I just googled it.

It is a university press, so probably it has not received a lot of attention/scrutiny. I don't know what information he would have had.

by Anonymousreply 71June 11, 2013 10:09 PM

I just found the whole thing kind of strange and, like R71 said, it makes you wonder what information he would have had if he flat out stated in a published book that SM was a "gay male director".

by Anonymousreply 72June 11, 2013 10:40 PM

I also came across an old interview called Divas of Dish in New York magazines featuring various gossip writers, including Liz Smith and Michael Musto. Here is the Mendes section of the interview:

Molloy: I think everyone has a right to privacy when it comes to their sex life.

Musto: Have I been misreading your column? You're such a liar!

Molloy: You're talking about our item on Nathan Lane?

Musto: You're constantly going there and playing around. Nathan Lane is one of many examples. You wrote about Kevin Spacey at some Oscar party with Sam Mendes "enjoying the guys in their Speedos." Do I have to remind you? You not only outed Spacey -- you outed American Beauty director Sam Mendes! Is Mendes even gay?

Molloy: Wait a minute, a man can enjoy a guy in a Speedo and not be gay. Laughs.

Musto: Tell that to the judge, honey.

by Anonymousreply 73June 17, 2013 3:27 PM

Here's the quote from the original article about Kevin Spacey titled 'Beauty' and the Beach for Spacey (NY Daily News, April 2, 2000):

Meanwhile, Spacey got a fitting tribute at a post-Oscar party hosted by "Grease" director Randal Kleiser at his Hollywood Hills home. Kleiser had muscular gold-painted, Speedo-sporting waiters dressed as Oscar statues. Spacey, and "American Beauty" producers Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks, director Sam Mendes and writer Alan Bell are said to have liked them almost as much as the golden boys they won earlier in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 74June 17, 2013 3:32 PM

I don't think Mendes is gay - why do you? Kate seems straight and Rebecca Hall seems straight as well. I don't think Mendes had a fake relationship with them.

by Anonymousreply 75June 17, 2013 3:46 PM

To be honest I don't know what to think. It's highly possible he's bi - as people here have stated. I'm simply posting what gossip I've found on the Internet to contribute to the conversation/speculation. Like you, I do think Kate's straight and I find it hard to believe that she would enter into a fake relationship as she hardly needed the career boost/publicity, but what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 76June 17, 2013 3:58 PM

I was getting all ready to post my "confirmation" that Sam Mendes was gay - when I suddenly realized that I was thinking about Seam Mathias - another British theatre director, and former lover of Ian McKellen (and Jude Law), and whose initials are SM.

My bad.

Don't even get me started on Stephen Daldry.

by Anonymousreply 77June 17, 2013 4:46 PM

Sean Mathias, that is.

by Anonymousreply 78June 17, 2013 5:04 PM

Ha, so you're not sure about Sam Mendes? What's Daldry's deal?

Meant to add that Rebecca Hall dated actor Simon Woods (Mr. Bingley in 2005's Pride & Prejudice) before he married Christopher Bailey, designer for Burberry. This is from March 2009's London Evening Standard:

"Woods, however, has a relationship history worthy of a gender-bending Shakespearean comedy. While studying English at Oxford, he dated Bond-girl Rosamund Pike, a union that lasted six years, until the pair split and Woods reconsidered his sexuality. He embarked on a relationship with a sculptor, Nick.

Last night Woods seemed very pleased with his decision and happily posed for pictures with Hall. The pair would appear to be rather a good match with their cut-glass English accents, shared penchant for British drama and healthy scepticism of all things Hollywood. Let's just hope Woods doesn't change his mind again."

Just thought it would be interesting to point out given the rumors about Mendes. She has obviously dated bi/potentially gay men in the past.

by Anonymousreply 79June 17, 2013 5:08 PM

Is Rebecca Hall bearding for her own reasons? Is Rosamund Pike a fag hag, she seems to be with gay or bi guys?

by Anonymousreply 80June 17, 2013 5:16 PM

R77, do please get started on Stephen Daldry, all the way to the finish.

And and and - Sean Mathias and Jude Law? I'm all ears.

Mathias and McKellen now own a pub in Limehouse I gather. Must be quite the venue.

by Anonymousreply 81June 17, 2013 5:38 PM

That's what I'm wondering, R80 (regarding Hall). I would totally be willing to believe that Woods and Mendes are bi and that the relationships with Hall are/were genuine, but I don't know. Being called a homewrecker (true or not) certainly didn't do her any favors, but maybe her people view that as being a better alternative to gay speculation, lest she get pigeonholed in acting roles. Is it unreasonable to think that a plan may have been concocted by his and her people? I'm just asking and thinking out loud.

by Anonymousreply 82June 17, 2013 6:02 PM

Clarification: by "plan" I mean, were they linked together by their people almost from the get-go to deflect from the potential gossip of what was really going on? Maybe doing each other a favor?

by Anonymousreply 83June 17, 2013 6:33 PM

Is he still with Hall?

And if its true about him and Mckellen then why nothing in the press?

Hes very obviously bi.

by Anonymousreply 84June 28, 2013 12:15 PM

R84 - Apparently they're still together (meaning we haven't heard otherwise), but there was no mention of her being at the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory premiere this week. It could be that she had prior commitments (or maybe it's just a privacy thing), but I find it strange that there have been little to no sightings of them together in their entire relationship. Again, it could be them being very discrete, but why tell us you're dating in the first place if you, allegedly, want to keep your romance private? It's like they (or their PR) WANT us to know they're "dating". To me this makes sense if SM is allegedly bi/gay, and maybe for RH it's publicity and/or her own bearding situation? They know they won't be followed very closely as they're not at Brangelina status, so by saying "we're dating" the general public will just assume that they are. Could be wrong; just a theory.

by Anonymousreply 85June 28, 2013 1:51 PM

Hmmm interesting.

Word of their (Winslet and Mendes) split came about end of 2010 but I heard that they had been having trouble for at least a year before that.

There was also a blind item stating a long term (by Hollywood's standards) power couple who are both Oscar winners were breaking up as BOTH of them had new bfs. Sam Mendes and Kate Winslet were top guesses.

Perhaps Hall is bearding for him?

I still don't see why a director would need to beard. He must just be like every other bi guy on the down low.

by Anonymousreply 86June 28, 2013 3:15 PM

R86 - I believe they announced their split in March 2010 rather than the end of 2010?

But yes, I do remember the blind item about a couple at the 2009 Oscars acting like a couple but going to each of their boyfriends afterwards. KW and SM was a popular guess, as was SJP and Broderick.

I could see SM not wanting his sexuality to potentially overshadow his career, thus the secrecy/potential bearding. Maybe, like actors, directors can also be pigeonholed if their sexuality is known? For example, would he have been offered a "macho" film like Bond if he was an openly gay/bi director? I'm wondering if Hollywood also has that mentality.

by Anonymousreply 87June 28, 2013 3:50 PM

Looks like Hall and Mendes have finally been seen in public together. If you do a Google news search for either of their names it will give links to the pictures. They were spotted walking around NYC before the premiere of her new movie. Sam doesn't look too happy that they're being photographed.

by Anonymousreply 88August 22, 2013 2:34 AM

As he's obviously not gay, OP, I'd say no, she did not.

by Anonymousreply 89August 22, 2013 2:37 AM

R89, Allegedly bi, though...

by Anonymousreply 90August 22, 2013 2:42 AM

Wonder if he and Hall will get married and have kids. Do men in their late 40's still want kids? Probably depends on the situation.

by Anonymousreply 91August 22, 2013 3:12 AM

[quote]As he's obviously not gay, OP, I'd say no, she did not

True. He may just enjoy gay subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 92August 22, 2013 3:15 AM

R92 Ha! I guess now the question should be: does Hall know? If she dated Simon Woods then she's not immune to this kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 93August 22, 2013 3:29 AM

He rose to fame for his stage version of Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 94August 22, 2013 11:12 AM

I had to laugh at the pictures of Hall and Mendes because it looks like a father taking his daughter out.

If they're really dating I may be the only person who thinks they're telling the truth when they said she wasn't the reason for the breakdown of his marriage. The fact that Rebecca literally laughed off the rumors speaks volumes because say she had cheated and was lying about it, to laugh it off and deny it would show her to be a cold, selfish b*tch who is laughing about the breaking up of a family. She doesn't strike me as that kind of person, and hopefully I'm right.

by Anonymousreply 95August 22, 2013 12:53 PM

First (and only) pictures we see of Hall and Mendes are after the question of bearding is brought up AND she's in town to promote a movie. They announce their relationship in November 2011 when she has a movie coming out (The Awakening) and he's about to start shooting Bond. Hall's "close relationship" is cited as a reason for the breakdown of his marriage after some people on different gossip sites wonder aloud if the Mendes gay rumors will start again now that he and Kate are done. Maybe I've read DL for too long and am now just too cynical to think these are mere coincidences. Add in a comment Hall made about being OK with people believing the ridiculous rumors because it protects what's actually going on and all I can do is wonder.

by Anonymousreply 96August 23, 2013 11:48 PM

Simon H. is Mendes' publicist. I wonder what his protocol is for situations like this?

by Anonymousreply 97August 24, 2013 12:21 AM

Do paps typically hang around Soho and other spots in NYC or is this a situation where his or her publicist made a few calls? As they're not über famous, I think I'd have trouble picking them out and citing them in a busy, crowded place like New York.

by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2013 2:20 PM

Maybe he and Hall are together because she's cool with him being bi, as, someone else mentioned, she previously dated Simon Woods, who's now married to a guy. Wonder if they have an open thing going on?

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2013 7:59 PM

There were rumors about Hall and Ben Affleck when they did The Town together, and another site hinted that she may have fucked Jon Favreau for the part in the recent Iron Man movie. I think she's an equal opportunity famewhore.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2013 8:13 PM

Didn't Mendes and Arthur Laurents despise each other? If Mendes was gay, I think they would've gotten along.

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2013 8:17 PM

What site was that R100? I know the major gossip was about Affleck and Lively but there were also low rumblings about him and Hall. R101, it is possible for 2 gay/bi people to not like each other, no?

by Anonymousreply 102August 24, 2013 8:29 PM

IF she and Affleck had a thing, I wonder if the Mendes rumors were started to deflect from her alleged Affleck tryst? The Town was set to come out a few months later. Gah, so, so many theories.

by Anonymousreply 103August 25, 2013 1:35 AM

[quote]Didn't Mendes and Arthur Laurents despise each other? If Mendes was gay, I think they would've gotten along.

Sexuality had nothing to do with it. Laurents hated Mendes because he directed a Gypsy revival on Bway------his turf.

and if you think Laurents liked all gaypeople......well no, just no!!!

by Anonymousreply 104August 25, 2013 1:41 AM

Lainey Gossip item from February 3, 2011:

A riddle for your troubles? How about this? He strayed with an actress on the set of his recent film, and is now desperate to keep it from his wife, who suspected, but who was won over by a family holiday and his new doting attitude. Only now the other woman is upset, threatening to overturn the peace, so he’s been calling in favours everywhere else to get her cast in another movie she’s not actually right for, just to get her to shut up. The favours he’s using up however could jeopardise his own project, and the people who are counting on his participation are getting increasingly anxious that he might f-ck it up for everyone else. Major stress and sleepless nights. It’s Not Blake Lively.

Many guessed Ben Affleck and Rebecca Hall on The Town. Some sites say that Blake was the red herring and that his affair was actually with Rebecca, so maybe the Mendes gossip was started to deflect from the Affleck stuff? I can't see Rebecca being the blackmailing type, but who knows? The "movie she's not actually right for" could be Lay the Favorite, which came out in 2011. It was panned pretty much across the board and Rebecca's performance (as a former stripper turned math genius) has been described as "annoying."

by Anonymousreply 105August 26, 2013 12:51 PM

[quote]The "movie she's not actually right for" could be Lay the Favorite

This title brings out the stunted little Beavis in me

by Anonymousreply 106August 26, 2013 1:01 PM

r105 that blind by Lainey was later revealed to be about Affleck and Olga Kurylenko from when they did Into the Wonder together. It doesn't mean the whispers about he and Hall weren't valid though. And those about Blake, etc.

Ben sure gets around some.

by Anonymousreply 107August 26, 2013 7:30 PM

Kate pings

by Anonymousreply 108August 26, 2013 7:41 PM

It's sad what a lonely, ambitious fat girl will do to advance herself in this business.

by Anonymousreply 109August 26, 2013 7:45 PM

R107, if the rumors are true then he sure does!

With Mendes I always got the feeling that he wasn't completely straight. Whether his relationship with Hall is genuine or an arrangement remains to be seen, but you lovely folks here at Datalounge (as well as other sources) have enlightened me/made me feel that my suspicions weren't off-the-wall.

by Anonymousreply 110August 26, 2013 8:14 PM

Mendes seemed to me to be briefly endorsing or encouraging the notion of Jake simulating sex with some of the grunts in the director's interview on the Jarhead DVD. Rather than shy away from it as some directors might have done.

Also, he pinged.

by Anonymousreply 111August 26, 2013 8:53 PM

And Lainey talks shit.

So do most blind item sites imo.

by Anonymousreply 112August 26, 2013 8:54 PM

R111, I also remember listening to some behind-the-scenes stuff on the Road to Perdition DVD and Mendes described Jude Law as "sexy". It didn't even seem like an objective director's comment - just Mendes thinking he was sexy. When did their alleged relationship take place?

by Anonymousreply 113August 26, 2013 9:26 PM

Could there be a more obvious bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 114August 27, 2013 1:37 AM

Everyone in the theatre is gay!

by Anonymousreply 115August 27, 2013 1:50 AM

r107, I thought it was Christopher Nolan and some odd actress for his last Batman movie.

by Anonymousreply 116August 27, 2013 6:05 AM

R114, one who likes to keep his male relationships reallll quiet, at least from the media. Has to be intentional, and the only reason I can think of is so it doesn't potentially affect his career, or maybe someone close to him (like a parent) has a problem with it?

by Anonymousreply 117August 27, 2013 12:49 PM

Did Mendes and Simon Russell Beale ever have a thing?

by Anonymousreply 118August 27, 2013 1:54 PM

Its difficult with British guys...why must they all act so camp!

That being said I agree, he must be bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 119August 27, 2013 2:10 PM

I'm just going to leave this here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 27, 2013 3:19 PM

Mendes seems straight to me.

by Anonymousreply 121August 27, 2013 3:24 PM

R121, Reasons for thinking so?

by Anonymousreply 122August 27, 2013 3:26 PM

I've never even met him and I knew it, so how did she miss it?

by Anonymousreply 123August 27, 2013 3:33 PM

I wonder if Kate thought he was, at the most, bi. Who knows what he told her or how he portrayed himself to her.

by Anonymousreply 124August 27, 2013 3:45 PM

[quote]Who knows what he told her or how he portrayed himself to her.

Probably Emma Thompson, Kate's BFF, who had issues of her own back in the day with Branagh.

by Anonymousreply 125August 27, 2013 4:04 PM

R125, Thompson telling Winslet that Mendes was bi/gay? I do remember the rumors about Branagh.

by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2013 4:09 PM

Mendes is straight.

by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2013 4:12 PM

R127, are the people who talked about Jude Law and Ian McKellan lying?

by Anonymousreply 128August 27, 2013 4:23 PM

R127, on the payroll?

by Anonymousreply 129August 27, 2013 4:43 PM

R6 is a troll posting random flamebait. How retarded do you have to be to respond to it?

by Anonymousreply 130August 27, 2013 4:47 PM

[quote]Thompson telling Winslet that Mendes was bi/gay?

Rather Winslet telling Thompson, when Kate spent time with ET after the break-up.

Thompson had doubtless heard stuff anyway via Fry and the Cambridge mafia. And yes, rumour had it that Branagh getting caught with Keanu was the dealbreaker. (She would hardly have been the first to know about that.) So, a sympathetic older showbiz sister.

by Anonymousreply 131August 27, 2013 5:12 PM

R131, that would make sense. I feel like Kate has dropped very subtle hints since their split but maybe I'm reading too much into her statements. One of them was her saying that it took someone putting his hand on her ("a gay male friend, actually") after her split from Sam and telling her that it was OK to cry. Why mention that the friend was gay? It could have been an insignificant, throw away comment, but I somehow felt it was related to her own situation.

by Anonymousreply 132August 27, 2013 6:27 PM

Wonder if Hall was used as the red herring in the Winslet/Mendes breakup as Bonham-Carter was maybe used as the red herring in the Thompson/Branagh breakup?

by Anonymousreply 133August 27, 2013 7:29 PM

Branagh's married again, with kids, so no, not gay.

by Anonymousreply 134August 27, 2013 7:34 PM

R134, Last time I checked Branagh didn't have any kids.

by Anonymousreply 135August 27, 2013 7:40 PM

r135 mea culpa, but he's been married to an overweight chick for like 12 years, she was HBC's friend and makeup artist. So, he's not gay, just probably a depressive miserable Irish guy.

by Anonymousreply 136August 27, 2013 7:44 PM

Kate's no intellectual and Mendes is an intellectual snob. He took up with Hall because she appealed to his snobbishness and intellectual pretensions.

Don't think Mendes is gay. He wouldn't have to have a beard, for God's sake, he's a British stage director - the vast majority of them ARE gay and make no bones about it.

by Anonymousreply 137August 27, 2013 7:46 PM

R137, Fair enough. What can you say about the rumors regarding Keanu and Ken and Sam with Jude and Ian?

by Anonymousreply 138August 27, 2013 7:50 PM

It should also be said that Branagh and Mendes aren't JUST theatre directors but are Hollywood film directors as well.

by Anonymousreply 139August 27, 2013 7:56 PM

I knew Mendes was gay before he married Kate and I was a bit puzzled over their marriage.

Branagh was questionable but the way I understood it was that both Ken and Em had accepted an invitation from Keanu, except Em didn't think it was going to break up her marriage.

by Anonymousreply 140August 27, 2013 9:47 PM

Interesting, R140. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way but do you have some insider knowledge about this, Mendes/Winslet and Thompson/Branagh. I can't see Winslet bearding, so perhaps he convinced her he was straight or bi? It seems like a situation where he's not completely comfortable with his sexuality, or he's suppressing it for his film career.

by Anonymousreply 141August 27, 2013 10:37 PM

Mendes already had a long theatre career before doing American Beauty. He was previously involved with Rachel Weisz and Jane Horrocks, neither of which strike me as being beards but I guess all the posters on here who like to think Daniel Craig is gay might disagree.

I'm guessing (most) of the posters on here are American. Brits don't get their knickers in a twist about gay actors, much less gay directors - they don't care, so there isn't the pressure there is in Hollywood to stay in the closet.

In any case, aren't 90% of American theatre directors gay too? Why would they bother with beards? Doesn't make any sense to me.

If Kenneth Branagh IS gay, I don't want to know about it as he really isn't attractive AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 142August 27, 2013 10:38 PM

Sam and Ken both seem like smart guys; they probably saw that homophobia exists in Hollywood and that, if they are gay/bi, it's best to keep it on the down low.

by Anonymousreply 143August 28, 2013 12:00 AM

Maybe Sam controls himself better then Ken did.

by Anonymousreply 144August 28, 2013 12:47 AM

Sorry. I don't have any insider information. I just thought Sam was gay, first time I saw a picture of him or saw him in an interview and then I read that Kate Winslet married him and I thought, hummmm.

When Keanu made Much Ado about Nothing, there were a ton of rumors swirling around about him. Any time Ken talked about Keanu he seemed love struck. I knew they had become friends and Ken visited Keanu in Nepal when he was filming with Bertolucci.

Like you R141, I wish I had some real information, not just rumor and intuition.

by Anonymousreply 145August 28, 2013 12:57 AM

I know what you mean, R145. I've been a fan of Kate's work for a long time and it wasn't until she started seeing Sam that I came to learn more about him. Just from pictures, interviews, and a little background information I thought "Hmmm."

by Anonymousreply 146August 28, 2013 1:36 AM

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 147August 28, 2013 1:49 AM

I don't think Mendes is gay, maybe bi but not gay. No gay man would waste all that time with women.

by Anonymousreply 148August 28, 2013 6:09 AM

"No gay man would waste all that time with women."

Except for closeted ones who are trying to portray themselves as straight. You can totally think Sam's straight or bi but there are, undoubtedly, gay men in Hollywood who "waste all that time with women." Sam could or could not be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 149August 28, 2013 8:06 PM

If John Travolta and Hugh Jackman can carry it off...why not Sam?

by Anonymousreply 150August 28, 2013 9:21 PM

R150, Bingo. Just because someone "works in the theatre" and "has no reason to beard" doesn't mean they're immune to it, ESPECIALLY if they have their sights on directing Hollywood films and are perceptive enough to realize that, in Hollywood, it's more beneficial to be in than out.. Unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 151August 28, 2013 9:42 PM

Mendes is a director, not a matinee idol.There are lots of openly gay American theatre and film directors. It doesn't affect their careers and wouldn't affect Mendes' either. I guess some poster on here has a crush on him and can't accept that the guy is straight. Though why anybody would have a crush on him is fairly inexplicable given he is not vaguely hot and comes across as a pretentious prat and intellectual snob.

by Anonymousreply 152August 28, 2013 11:26 PM

Agree, with R152 He's not a target for fraus.

by Anonymousreply 153August 29, 2013 4:31 AM

The gay rumors stem from his choice of material (American Beauty), the loving way his camera lingered on Jake's butt in Jarhead, and his interjection and increasing the focus of gay story lines in his early theatre work. (Company, Cabaret)

by Anonymousreply 154August 29, 2013 4:38 AM

He also suggested making James Bond bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 155August 29, 2013 5:01 AM

Maybe he's bisexual but I don't think he's gay.

People who stay in the closet are people who fear to lose the female audience and it's not the case with him.

It's a different case from Travolta and even Jackman who has "something" that also doesn't add up.

by Anonymousreply 156August 29, 2013 5:39 AM

His film choices had nothing to do with why I thought he was gay. I just thought he was gay first time I saw him. I just assumed everyone thought that.

by Anonymousreply 157August 29, 2013 5:45 AM

[quote]Maybe he's bisexual but I don't think he's gay.

no such thing as male bisexuality

he is either straight, gay or gay and unable to deal with it so faking it with women

by Anonymousreply 158August 29, 2013 5:59 AM

Totally disagree R158, bisexuality exists. Yes, some use this excuse before coming out as totally gay and uninterested in women but that doesn't rule out the fact that some are bi.

R157 You assume wrongly. I'm gay and with a good gayradar and never thought Mendes was gay.

by Anonymousreply 159August 29, 2013 6:04 AM

r159=not that bright

by Anonymousreply 160August 29, 2013 6:08 AM

Of course she did, but that's hardly the point. She's like the Mariah Carey of the movie biz.

by Anonymousreply 161August 29, 2013 6:15 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 29, 2013 6:30 AM

R160 Not that bright just because I disagree with you? That's very "bright" of you.

R162 Personally, I disagree. In most cases people don't even know who the Writers and the producers are.

by Anonymousreply 163August 29, 2013 7:06 AM

[quote]I disagree. In most cases people don't even know who the Writers and the producers are.

The people who hire them do...

by Anonymousreply 164August 29, 2013 7:24 AM

And so what?

by Anonymousreply 165August 29, 2013 7:42 AM

and they won't hire them. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 166August 29, 2013 8:00 AM

Good find, R162. Would Sam have been offered "macho" films like Jarhead and Skyfall if he was an out director? It's debatable. Homophobia may not apply as strongly to directors, writers, etc. as it does to actors, but I have no doubt that it does still apply. Some audiences might not know who they are, but as R164 said, the people that hire them do. It sounds crazy and stupid, but Hollywood is a crazy and stupid world.

I think this is a case of us agreeing to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 167August 29, 2013 8:28 AM

R166 Because you say so?

I thought people were hired for their talent, especially writers and directors and for the income they bring, like Mendes did for Skyfall.

by Anonymousreply 168August 29, 2013 9:27 AM

You are delusional if you think there isn't homophobia in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 169August 29, 2013 9:32 AM

I'd always heard that Branagh was ambitiosexual in his younger years. I always thought he was bi with a preference for men, once he'd made it.

If closeting or discretion was an issue for Mendes, what was he doing with Serena all that time?

by Anonymousreply 170August 29, 2013 10:18 AM

I'm not sure how substantiated that 'relationship' with Mckellen is but it seems like it was clearly a give and take dynamic with Mendes clearly using him for networking and a good word

by Anonymousreply 171August 29, 2013 10:27 AM

r171 Exactly.

r167 Why crazy and stupid? Have you lived in the real world? Never had someone discriminate against you and give the WORST person the best job? When I was young-there has been many-I was old I couldn't work the floors as a waitress because I was black; well someone told me but I'd always wondered. The boss wasn't a bad guy and weirdly enough we got on really well but that's what he believed would be an issue.

r165 Damn you have either never worked AT ALL, esp in the entertainment industry or finance OR you have never read ANY books at ALL esp books like Wall Street or Bonfire of the Vanities.

I don't believe I am saying this on DL but are people really that stupid that they think people get their jobs because of talent? Oh my. In a way I am envious some of you have either never had a job, are pure dumb when you do have a job or have never dealt with incompetence via someone in a more senior position then you!

by Anonymousreply 172August 29, 2013 10:39 AM

Yes, I have dealt with incompetence but I've Always dealt with jealousy. But that doesn't make a person gay.

by Anonymousreply 173August 29, 2013 11:22 AM

Totally agree, R172.

by Anonymousreply 174August 29, 2013 11:34 AM

R172 Totally disagree.

by Anonymousreply 175August 29, 2013 12:04 PM

Agree very much with R172. It's extreme, but very often the case.

by Anonymousreply 176August 29, 2013 12:24 PM

Totally disagree for Mendes. He's proved to be a very good director.

by Anonymousreply 177August 29, 2013 12:27 PM

There are situations where people get jobs because of talent, in other situations it's because of who they know, and sometimes it's a little bit of both. I think Mendes has shown himself to be a talented director but it wouldn't surprise me if connections/networking helped get him to where he is. But, that could be said for a LOT of people. Him hooking up with Serena (allegedly) was probably a huge boost in the theatre world. Whether Serena was used for connections, was a genuine relationship, or both is something we will probably never know.

by Anonymousreply 178August 29, 2013 12:41 PM

R178, thanks for the reasonable post.

by Anonymousreply 179August 29, 2013 12:48 PM

R179, Haha my pleasure. Bottom line: I don't think I could survive in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 180August 29, 2013 2:38 PM

Anybody who tries to doubt that bisexuality exists is just jealous that somebody has a capacity to enjoy both men and women.

by Anonymousreply 181August 29, 2013 2:52 PM

Hell, I work a menial job in administration and my connections there helped. It always helps to have connections. Even to do shitty work.

by Anonymousreply 182August 29, 2013 4:17 PM

People more often get jobs because of sexual appeal then because of talent. That's even the way it is outside of Hollywood. That's why brilliant well trained and educated 59 year olds don't get hired.

The second way you get a job...if you know somebody.

by Anonymousreply 183August 29, 2013 6:11 PM

R159, I didn't disagree with your statement that Mendez didn't set off your gaydare. He set off mine but I'm not invested in his sexuality one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 184August 29, 2013 6:13 PM

In the British theatre, being gay is certainly not a disadvantage, so if Mendes were gay, he would not have hesitated to let it be known. Also, in the British theatre, being a well-connected Jewish grad of Cambridge certainly doesn't hurt.

As for Mendes being a closet case, if he is he has to be the only one in the history of the world who ever played cricket or became obsessed with watching cricket matches - the most boring, least gay sport ever known to mankind.

by Anonymousreply 185August 29, 2013 7:38 PM

R185, I've actually read on various message boards that he was opening gay in the London theatre world pre-Kate, so perhaps he started downplaying it when he got into movies? In theatre it doesn't really matter, but movies/Hollywood is another thing. Playing the game and such.

by Anonymousreply 186August 29, 2013 7:59 PM

[quote]Anybody who tries to doubt that bisexuality exists is just jealous that somebody has a capacity to enjoy both men and women

ah r181 The infamous cry of the narcissist: YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!!!

by Anonymousreply 187August 29, 2013 8:46 PM

"cricket matches - the most boring, least gay sport ever known to mankind."

You're being sarcastic, right? Don't they wear white sweater vests?

by Anonymousreply 188August 30, 2013 1:33 AM

R186 Links or it never happened (except in your mind)

by Anonymousreply 189August 30, 2013 4:26 AM

Kate was married when she met him, to the guy that was her baby daddy #1, right? Then she started her affair with him and that ended it. The guy was pretty bitter about it. Kate seemed flighty.

by Anonymousreply 190August 30, 2013 4:32 AM

He married a fat girl=gay

by Anonymousreply 191August 30, 2013 4:39 AM

Found on the Female First message board. This poster copied and pasted info that was posted on here a few years back. SM = Mendes, KW = Winslet

Hi all..I'll try to comment on the other posts. GP is bi. Do you think her relationship with Madge is strictly platonic? BA has a lot of addiction issues, with sexuality being one of them. He is totally self-destructive and that is why GP left him and that will be why JG does too. SM is no stranger to same sex hookups. I have never heard the same about KW but who knows...The poster (make-up artist) pretty much nails it on LD, LH and TM. CD & Kirsten Dunst have been on/off smack for years. KD descended in hardcore drugs after she caught Jake Gyllenhall in bed with Austin NIchols at the Chateau Marmont several years ago. And no matter what you read she has never recovered. His sister fixed them up hoping he was bi like the rest of the family. Guess what? He's not. Not a well kept secret. Anyway, his Mom has had an on/off affair with JLC for years.

by Anonymousreply 192August 30, 2013 1:07 PM

Here's the link to the FF message board where I found it.

In regards to Kate's first marriage, came across this on the Celebitchy comments section for for 10/3/11 and 11/27/11:

From 11/27/11, winYT says: Winslet’s first husband cheated on her and gave her a STD. She had every reason to dump him.

From 10/3/11, wtf: Kate’s first husband cheated on her and gave her a STD, that is the reason why she divorced him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 30, 2013 1:18 PM

Also:

"Never got the Sam Mendes-Kate Winslet thing, a few years before they had even hooked up, a friend of mine who worked in the theatre in London had told me that Mendes was known to be gay."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 30, 2013 11:16 PM

So Naomi Foner (Gyllenhaals' mother) had an affair with Jaime Lee Curtis for years? wow. And Cam Diaz and Kristin Dunst have both been on/off the horse (per r192's link). That's better than the Mendes gossip.

Same link shares a blind about Jolie and Winslet seeing the same woman at different times, a few yrs ago. Don't know if I believe that Winslet would have a long term thing with a woman. She seems so addicted to straight romance and marriage.

by Anonymousreply 195August 31, 2013 8:55 PM

R195, Yeah I'm not sure about that either. I may be naïve but like you I think Kate's all about the straight, monogamous relationships. Could be wrong but that's just my feeling. I wonder when Mendes's alleged relationship with Law took place - whether in theatre or during Road to Perdition.

by Anonymousreply 196August 31, 2013 9:41 PM

Comment found on Jezebel right after Kate and Sam announced their split:

"A friend of mine works in the film industry and has worked with Mendes. According to said friend, there have long been rumors about infidelity, homosexuality and an unusual relationship between DiCaprio/Mendes/Winslet. I have no idea if any of it is true (and for all we know, it isn't at all), but it does make me wonder."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 3, 2013 1:38 PM

Hey r192, I don't know who have of those initials stand for...who is BA?

by Anonymousreply 198September 3, 2013 3:17 PM

R198, Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 199September 3, 2013 3:20 PM

Yes, I've heard Affleck actually does have a gambling addiction but he's still gambling so...

by Anonymousreply 200September 3, 2013 5:28 PM

When you think of it, Affleck has this addiction problem but him and JG keep having one child after another. Aflick is leaving himself way open for blackmail and some other pressures. I hope she keeps her money separate from his.

by Anonymousreply 201September 3, 2013 5:31 PM

Relating to Affleck and Mendes: people speculated that Affleck wouldn't have married Garner if she hadn't gotten pregnant. The same has been said about Mendes (Mr. I don't believe in marriage) who married Winslet when she was pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 202September 3, 2013 6:33 PM

and then there's Matt Damon

by Anonymousreply 203September 3, 2013 6:36 PM

Mendes to stage revival of his version of Cabaret with Rob Marshall as co-director/choreographer. Michelle Williams will star opposite Alan Cumming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 4, 2013 12:35 AM

ugh, Michelle Williams

Why is she always forced on us?

by Anonymousreply 205September 4, 2013 12:37 AM

I didn't know she could sing/dance? We shall find out. I may be in the minority but I thought she was surprisingly good as Marilyn Monroe, so she might surprise us with Cabaret.

I wonder why Mendes is deciding to re-stage this. I read an interview in which he said he doesn't like to "look back," he'd much rather move forward.

by Anonymousreply 206September 4, 2013 12:48 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 4, 2013 7:39 PM

Is it possible Weisz was a beard for him as well as there's speculation that she's Craig's beard? I've tried to find pictures of Weisz and Mendes together when they were "dating" and there are none, just like they were none of Mendes and Hall until recently when she had a movie coming out.

by Anonymousreply 208September 9, 2013 12:33 PM

R208: Weisz, Craig, and Mendes are all bisexual. Don't know about Hall.

by Anonymousreply 209September 9, 2013 12:51 PM

R209, I have heard that they're all (meaning Weisz, Craig and Mendes), at the very least, bisexual. Hall apparently dated a guy (Simon Woods) before he went on to marry a man. Hot damn, maybe everyone is bi.

by Anonymousreply 210September 9, 2013 1:11 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some self-deception on Sam's part and he, in turn, unintentionally deceived Kate.

by Anonymousreply 211September 9, 2013 11:23 PM

Who has Daniel Craig hooked up with?

by Anonymousreply 212September 10, 2013 1:20 AM

R212, allegedly a guy at a Venice gay bar, according to an article in the National Enquirer (take from that what you will). He is also said to be a member of the David Barton gym in NYC, which apparently has a lot of gay patrons. There's a thread on here that deals with the rumors regarding his orientation.

by Anonymousreply 213September 11, 2013 2:02 AM

The Weitz/Craig marriage was very sudden. It always seemed like preemptive publicity strike to avoid becoming a Jennifer Aniston to Natalie Potman and Darren Aronofsky's Angie and Brad.

by Anonymousreply 214September 11, 2013 2:07 AM

R214, I remember reading blind items regarding the mystery of the paternity of Natalie's baby, which alluded that Darren was actually the father. I try to take those things with a grain of salt, but Natalie's son looks an AWFUL lot like Darren/Darren's other son.

Concerning Mendes, that's kind of how I feel about the Hall "relationship". There was no mention of her until after Kate and Sam announced their split and after people wondered if the gay rumors about him would resurface.

by Anonymousreply 215September 11, 2013 2:22 AM

[quote]The Weitz/Craig marriage was very sudden. It always seemed like preemptive publicity strike to avoid becoming a Jennifer Aniston to Natalie Potman and Darren Aronofsky's Angie and Brad.

Only Portman and Aronofsky didn't end up together, and probably wouldn't have even had they wanted to. She was up for Best actress, no way was she going to ruin her chances with a scandalous affair and a marriage break up. Aronofsky is no Pitt - no one would see why two gorgeous women would fight over him.

Weisz is respected by Academy voters, they wouldn't have forgiven her as they did Jolie and certainly not so soon.

by Anonymousreply 216September 11, 2013 2:53 AM

[quote]Weisz is respected by Academy voters, they wouldn't have forgiven her as they did Jolie and certainly not so soon.

huh r128

Weitz wasn't even nominated for anything that year What does the academy have do to with it? I meant her ego probably didn't want the personna of the jilted wife and Craig and she were friends and he may have needed a beard so...who knows.

by Anonymousreply 217September 11, 2013 2:56 AM

Sorry poor wording, should have typed "they wouldn't have forgiven Portman as they did Jolie...".

Was referring to Weisz being liked by Academy voters so they wouldn't easily forgive NatPort at least not so soon (She won for Black Swan only months after the split).

by Anonymousreply 218September 11, 2013 3:05 AM

R218, it would have been interesting to see if Natalie would have won had the scandal been made public.

I'm wondering how far Mendes and Hall will take their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 219September 11, 2013 12:20 PM

what about the rumors that victor garber is the spermy donor father of garner's kids?

by Anonymousreply 220September 11, 2013 1:32 PM

R220 Hahaha what? I never heard that rumor...

Do you guys think Mendes is done having kids? Apparently that was an issue between him and Kate (her wanting more, him not).

by Anonymousreply 221September 11, 2013 2:29 PM

Violet Affleck does look a lot like Victor.

by Anonymousreply 222September 11, 2013 2:34 PM

I don't know how this became a thread about the Afflecks, but that oldest kid looks like Garner and Michael Vartan to me.

by Anonymousreply 223September 11, 2013 4:12 PM

Here we go, trying to get this thread back on track...sort of...

Just saw that John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are expecting a baby. According to CDAN (take from that what you will) Emily has allegedly cheated on John and people are wondering why they're 1. even married, and 2. why they're having a baby. People also wondered if she's bearding for him. There weren't any rumors about him and Mendes during Away We Go, were there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 11, 2013 4:26 PM

Original blind that was talked about before (with the link):

BlindGossip – There was a well-known entertainment pair at the Academy Awards who sat together, occasionally holding and laughing together. What a nice couple! Not. They actually can’t stand each other and haven’t lived together in months. However, as one of Hollywood’s perceived stable couples, they are not yet ready to explain to the world that their long-time (by Hollywood standards) relationship is over. Certainly not in such a public setting. And if one of them had showed up solo, or with another escort, it would have brought up too many questions. So it was easier just to go together, pretend that everything’s great, and to go their separate ways after the big event… each to a new boyfriend.

This blind was from March 10, 2010, just a few days before Kate and Sam announced their split. Even though Sam wasn't at the Oscars with her in 2010, he was with her in 2009, and the blind doesn't specify which Oscars ceremony it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 11, 2013 8:52 PM

[quote]Violet Affleck does look a lot like Victor.

Never noticed that before but now that you mention it, she does. A bit. The middle girl is Ben's doppleganger though.

It's the resemblance of the new little boy to Damon that I can't get over. I know its just coincidence but its eerie. He'll probably look like Jen as he gets bigger.

by Anonymousreply 226September 11, 2013 9:32 PM

Wonder if Mendes' connection to Hall has anything to do with securing the first Bond gig and his continuing to work on Bond?

by Anonymousreply 227September 13, 2013 2:08 AM

For people in the know: when did he allegedly date Jude?

by Anonymousreply 228September 16, 2013 2:41 PM

Was it during Road to Perdition, or was he (Jude) with Sadie then?

by Anonymousreply 229September 16, 2013 8:53 PM

General question (relating to this discussion): is it possible for publicists to remove articles about their clients from Google? If you type in 'Sam Mendes' or 'Rebecca Hall' on Google and then click news it seems the article from the Daily Mail of them walking around NYC has disappeared. It used to be on page 1 of their respective Google news pages, but now it's nowhere to be found. Granted you can still find the article, but it doesn't show up on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. pages of their respective Google news searches. Is it possible the publicist(s) removed it due to bad press?

by Anonymousreply 230September 18, 2013 1:00 PM

R230, Google removes news items once they are 30 days old.

I know blind items are a bit of a 4 letter word here, but had to share this:

This actress is C list. A good actress but more known for her parents than her acting ability. Oh and her boyfriend. She was known for him too. Our actress ran into this B+ actor from a hit franchise that hit a bit of a bump this year when the latest installment was released. he is taking some of the blame and broached the idea of the actress being his beard. She's all for it. Loves it as a matter of fact.

My guess: Good C-list actress known more for her parents: Rebecca Hall(parents Peter the director and Maria the opera singer) Boyfriend she was known for: Sam Mendes B+ actor from a franchise who hit a bit of a bump: Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek (there was some backlash over him being cast as Kahn)

Benedict and Rebecca were in two projects together: Starter For 10 and Parade's End

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231September 24, 2013 2:45 PM

I've never even heard of Rebecca Hall or her parents.

by Anonymousreply 232September 24, 2013 2:49 PM

R232, I think in Britain she's more well known but even then I'm under the impression that a lot of that has to do with her parents (and now her connection to Sam). Apparently her dad is a theatre royalty. He's actually a Sir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233September 24, 2013 2:58 PM

From ONTD when Kate and Sam split:

No one cares, but one of my best friends interns for Premiere PR and she's one of two of Sara Keene's assistants, who's this director of something now in the company, but she use to be Sam Mendes' publicist, and the shit ex-publicists spill is incredible. Of course she could be lying, but the evidence is way too substantial to be merely coincidental. Supposedly he's been cheating on Kate for a long ass time now and she was one of many who had to cover for his affairs. Tabloids are shit, she's lyin', w/e, but I unfortunately believe his publicist. :/

Doesn't say WHO these alleged affairs were with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234September 26, 2013 11:17 PM

A blind gossip item from 6/10/2010, reposted on BlindBuzz (with commentary):

Beard Meets Beard:

Which tabloid favorites have broken up over a discovery that will shock the ever-faithful gossip hounds across the pond? While the tabloids will report that their was no third party involved, there was. A guy. Not for her. For him. The real reason they split is because she discovered him in bed with another man. It wasn’t the first time. Oh, and in case you are wondering about their child/ren, it might be helpful to know that their conception took place in a lab, not the bedroom. (Blind Gossip)

It sounds like this could be Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes, although we wouldn't really consider them "tabloid fixtures."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 30, 2013 1:20 PM

New pictures of Sam and Rebecca in Dublin (where he's working on Penny Dreadful with Josh Hartnett).

I don't know...even if the relationship is legit and he's uncomfortable by the paparazzi the lack of affection between them is obvious; it was the same in their Soho pictures. I'm kind of getting a DiCaprio vibe from him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236October 17, 2013 1:40 AM

In response to a Debbie Schlussel review of Skyfall (does this guy know something we don't?):

"Well, Debbie, thanks again. You kept me from taking my kids to see “Skyfall.” After your review, I saw that the director of the movie was Sam Mendes, the homosexual who directed the anti-heterosexual, anti-marriage anti-American “American Beauty.” What he did to James Bond reminds me of what the homosexual Joel Schumacher did to Batman and Robin."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237October 17, 2013 1:56 AM

Another discussion board entry around the time Kate and Sam announced their split:

"I have read that there are rumors that he is gay. Or at least was gay in the 90's, before he got married. I have no idea if it's true or not."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 17, 2013 2:38 AM

R236, purely superficial: NOT feeling Rebecca's outfit. The length of the skirt plus the gray tights and clunky shoes looks schoolmarm-y.

by Anonymousreply 239October 17, 2013 2:44 AM

I like that schoolmarmy look. It is anti-Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 240October 17, 2013 3:57 AM

R240, I like a more conservative look, too, but I think if the skirt was above the knees and the tights were a sheer black it would look less dowdy.

Anyway, these two have allegedly been together for quite awhile, yet they don't look very comfortable with each other. I don't know, their whole situation is confusing.

by Anonymousreply 241October 17, 2013 9:58 AM

That pic was taken outside the Shelbourne Hotel on Stephen's Green. I live in Dublin but probably wouldn't even have recognized them. The air between them is positively "frosty."

by Anonymousreply 242October 17, 2013 10:13 AM

Wow! TWO HUNDRED AND TWO posts about this!?!

by Anonymousreply 243October 17, 2013 10:17 AM

I meant 242...40 times more mind boggling.

by Anonymousreply 244October 17, 2013 10:21 AM

Thanks for the location info, R242.

Let's say that this relationship is genuine and there may or may not have been cheating going on; WHY, would someone as young and seemingly talented as Rebecca pursue this relationship? You were accused of cheating with this person and now you're "with them", making you both look like liars. Why would you risk your career and reputation for something that probably isn't long term? The only situation I can think of is that it's a potential arrangement: bwardibg for him, publicity for her.

Maybe I'm just too cynical and it's a totally different in private (genuine and loving and whatnot), but look at their body language and tell me that's a happy couple.

by Anonymousreply 245October 17, 2013 10:29 AM

R243, there's clearly speculation about it. All the stuff that's been found on the web and posted here has been interesting, especially the line from that Matthew Tinkcom book.

by Anonymousreply 246October 17, 2013 10:33 AM

Holy typos: meant to write 'bearding' and 'it's a totally different situation in private'

by Anonymousreply 247October 17, 2013 10:36 AM

R246, you mean this quote:

"In American Beauty, gay director Sam Mendes"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248October 17, 2013 12:49 PM

Mendes doesn't seem like a very happy dude. Anyone ever met him before?

by Anonymousreply 249October 17, 2013 1:44 PM

*farts

by Anonymousreply 250October 17, 2013 2:09 PM

R250, Was that your way of bumping the conversation or do you have something to contribute? :)

by Anonymousreply 251October 17, 2013 2:39 PM

This was awhile ago but someone posted on the imdb message board for Sam that (and I'm paraphrasing here): you beared, oops, married, a certain celeb and that you've father your public child.

I know, super vague and not helpful unless you have the actual post (which is long gone - I checked) but the comments struck me as interesting, especially the "public child" part. Not sure what the poster meant by that.

by Anonymousreply 252October 17, 2013 4:21 PM

[quote]Not sure what the poster meant by that.

Not sure I care...Love Sam.

Why do you especially value a post on imdb as though its the bible?

You guys must find him especially attractive if you go on & on like this.

by Anonymousreply 253October 17, 2013 4:28 PM

R253 - this is a gossip site, correct? And this board is dedicated to Sam and speculation about his sexuality, yes?

Enclosed is a picture of Sam and Javier at Javier's Walk of Fame ceremony. Friendly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254October 17, 2013 4:44 PM

There are Irish people on DL? How did you find out about this site?

by Anonymousreply 255October 17, 2013 6:06 PM

Can't believe no one brought up the fact that he directed this uber straight commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256November 15, 2013 1:52 AM

by Anonymousreply 257July 15, 2014 4:27 AM

Is Kate still with Branson's nephew? God, she can pick 'em can't she.

by Anonymousreply 258July 15, 2014 5:07 AM

Still together, R258. You know what, though? I know nothing about the guy but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a good fit for Kate. They both seem like they know how to let their hair down, which is an impression I never got of Mendes. I'm sure Sam's a decent guy, but between his alleged gayness and the seeming differences in his and Kate's personalities I'm not surprised they didn't last.

by Anonymousreply 259July 19, 2014 1:48 AM

Rebecca Hall never dated Simon Woods. They starred together in Starter for 10 and are friends.

r79 posted an article by the Evening Standard, they corrected themselves later:

"Simon weaves a tangled web DISHY actor Simon Woods’s love-life continues to astound us. The Cranford actor has a relationship history worthy of a gender-bending Shakespearean comedy.

At university he was happily ensconced with Bond girl Rosamund Pike. After breaking up with her he dated a male sculptor called Nick. Earlier this year it was reported he had hitched up with actress Rebecca Hall. Now he appears to be dating Christopher Bailey, the creative director of Burberry.

Woods and Hall , daughter of Sir Peter Hall and star of the Woody Allen film Vicky Cristina Barcelona, made their first public outing at the V&A’s opening of its new Theatre and Performance galleries where they held hands for most of the evening and Hall introduced the fairhaired actor to friends as “my boyfriend”.

But was the relationship for real? With Simon you can just never tell. The Londoner was inundated with calls from distressed young ladies who all insisted that the ever-desirable Simon really was still batting for the other side. And now it appears that all the V&A flirting may have been a joke as Bailey and Woods have reportedly now been together for six months.

Let’s hope the ladies of London aren’t too disheartened."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260August 11, 2014 5:30 PM

I'm more curious as to who advised Rebecca Hall that it was wise for her to publicly pursue a relationship with someone whose marriage she was accused of interfering with. Risky PR move meant to drum up publicity for herself and, thus, her career, or is it genuinely about love?

by Anonymousreply 261August 19, 2014 12:24 PM

Rebecca's PR person is Bryna Rifkin. Rifkin represents Jennifer Lawrence, who, as we all know, is having her own little PR situation right now. The link shows Bryna being a bulldog on the red carpet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 2, 2014 12:55 PM

Any behind-the-scenes theatre dirt on Sam?

by Anonymousreply 263September 30, 2014 6:19 PM

When did Sam allegedly hook up with Jude Law?

by Anonymousreply 264October 14, 2014 7:26 PM

R262 What an unattractive little troll of a woman.

by Anonymousreply 265October 14, 2014 7:38 PM

I'm with 265...that chick is stressful.

by Anonymousreply 266October 14, 2014 7:47 PM

R265, that Bryna woman also represents Michelle Rodriguez...wonder if she gave the go-ahead for her little fauxmance with Efron? How do those situations work exactly?

by Anonymousreply 267October 14, 2014 7:47 PM

I'm I the only one who remembers the old talk about Jude Law, Ewan McGregor, and Jonny Lee Miller being part of a group of swingers? They've each given interviews that have referenced their special sexual situation.

So, I think it's safe to assume anyone who is associated with any one of them is bisexual. It's just easier that way.

by Anonymousreply 268October 20, 2014 3:56 AM

Just remembered one of those award season photo spreads in one of the glossies: all the stars in various eye-catching set-ups.

One featured Jude Law and Ewan McGregor in a double bed (wearing robes, reading papers). Doubtless an in-joke they were happy to go along with.

by Anonymousreply 269October 20, 2014 4:59 AM

I'm surprised Rebecca's PR didn't set her up with Benedict Cumberbatch. That would have been good publicity for Parade's End and she probably wouldn't have received the blow back she got from being painted as "the other woman" in the Sam/Kate break up.

by Anonymousreply 270November 24, 2014 12:37 PM

Kate Winslet seems to have a very complicated relationship to sexuality (her own). She seems well at ease with gay men. Seems uncomfortable around lesbians, though I don't know about that.

by Anonymousreply 271November 24, 2014 12:50 PM

Do you know Kate, R271?

by Anonymousreply 272November 24, 2014 2:22 PM

Not at all and I regret posting what I did. If some websmaster could erase the product of my stupidity...

And the worst of it is that I like kate Winslet. Her best role was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but she's had plenty of great turns. Jude, Revolutionary Road, Mildred Pierce, Heavenly Creatures...

I don't know what came over me.

by Anonymousreply 273November 24, 2014 2:27 PM

Re: theatre directors not bearding...Mike Nichols, anyone?

Sam did look up to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274December 1, 2014 12:37 PM

R274, Also, Stephen Daldry.

Sam is also rumored to have "dated" Cameron Diaz, who also "dated" Justin Timberlake, Jared Leto and Matt Dillon. Whose PR person put out that piece of gossip?

by Anonymousreply 275December 2, 2014 1:01 PM

Did Sam and Jude hook up during Road to Perdition? There are some posters on here who seem to have inside info.

by Anonymousreply 276December 29, 2014 4:47 PM

As usual, DL calls a man who was formerly married and is currently in a heterosexual relationship a homosexual, when the most he could be said to be is bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 277December 29, 2014 4:56 PM

So tell me about his alleged bisexuality, R277.

by Anonymousreply 278December 29, 2014 5:01 PM

Let's not forget, R277, that Kate Winslet is secretly a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 279December 29, 2014 5:05 PM

You're quite correct, r278, that I don't have any evidence of his bisexuality; the evidence I provided above actually supports his heterosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 280December 29, 2014 5:14 PM

But is there even gossip to support that, R279? With Sam there's at least stuff out there.

by Anonymousreply 281December 29, 2014 5:14 PM

Fat pretentious Brit cunt

by Anonymousreply 282December 29, 2014 5:34 PM

Thanks, R280. I see you've been getting your checks in the mail just fine.

by Anonymousreply 283December 29, 2014 6:34 PM

His work is what makes him seem gay.

Gaying up Company and Cabaret. American Beauty. Jarhead (which is practically gay porn with all those lovingly nude shots of Jake G.)

by Anonymousreply 284December 29, 2014 7:43 PM

I need to find the quote again, but Rebecca Hall's father (a theatre director) talked about an actor he worked with bearding back in the day because, to loosely quote him, "that's just what you did."

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to suggest that an actress needing/wanting more visibility would beard for a high profile director who was in talks to work on a major film franchise that centered around a womanizing action hero.

And, like R284 said, his work provides a lot of evidence. How many musicals has this guy directed?

by Anonymousreply 285January 21, 2015 7:43 PM

I side-eye Sam for signing that Roman Polanski petition. I know Kate worked with him but as far as I know she didn't sign the petition. Like R282 I view Sam as being pretty pretentious, and it wouldn't surprise me if he thought of himself as an oh-so-progressive artiste for signing the petition. What if the victim was YOUR kid, Sam?

Why Rebecca is with him is beyond me. Maybe they have a genuine connection (aka mutual pretentiousness) or maybe she's with him for the status and career boost. OR, like others have pointed out, maybe she's bearding for him in exchange for publicity and career help. Funny how Kate Winslet turned down the role in Transcendence and it went to Rebecca...plus the fact that she scored an audition for The Great Gatsby opposite Kate's good friend.

by Anonymousreply 286February 2, 2015 4:04 PM

Speaking of pretentious, here's the Huffington Post gently mocking his indoor scarf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287February 27, 2015 1:02 PM

Rebecca Hall is dating Morgan Spector.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288March 12, 2015 4:00 PM

Translation of the blind at link:

This English actress confided that her ex-husband has never really betrayed, but she prefers to believe that this is so: in reality, their relationship is over because he confessed that he "does not believe that will stay with the same woman all my life, anyway " I will be glad his current girlfriend. Kate Winslet / Sam Mendes / Rebecca Hall

I think the last sentence is supposed to be something like: I'm sure his current girlfriend will be glad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 16, 2015 3:54 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290July 13, 2015 12:16 PM

Just an update for this thread. Rebecca has starred in the movie Professor Marston and the Wonder Women with bisexual sex scenes and BDSM. Rebecca looks like she’s kissed the ladies before. She gives a great performance but has lesbo vibes IMO. Also starring Luke Evans...... so maybe Sam and Rebecca were bearding for each other.

by Anonymousreply 291March 31, 2018 8:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!