Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janeanne Garofalo?

Where is she? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 23605/24/2015

Hopefully dead.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2011

I adore her. And hope she'll get happier again.

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2011

[quote]And hope she'll get happier again.%0D %0D Why? Who said she was unhappy?%0D %0D R1 is a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2011

R3, so is Janeanne Garofalo.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2011

She was a regular on that creepy version of Criminal Minds - LA. Terrible show. The cops were as bizarre as the villains they chased. That is the only TV show that made me want to take a bath after watching it.

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2011

No, dear, "horrible" people would be those who wish someone who hasn't done something wrong is "dead."

What exactly did she do that was so horrible, R4?

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2011

Most likely, she's home alone,chainsmoking and rocking herself back and forth in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2011

She needs to get off of the Adderal.

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2011

Her Criminal Minds show was canceled.

She's been on Keith Olbermann's show three or four times in the last few months.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2011

Janeane Garofalo...that's a thing, right?

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2011

She is one of the nastiest people around. Even Coulter kept from throwing tantrums like little Janeanne. Janeanne is like watching a train wreck, and not the entertaining kind. She is just angry. Angry at life. Angry at the world, and hates everyone.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2011

r9, Keith's been on Current for how many months now?

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2011

I agree r11.

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2011

Not sure r12. Maybe four or five?

But Garofalo has been on it quite a few times.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2011

[quote]But Garofalo has been on it quite a few times.%0D %0D Makes sense, she's gotta helluva lotta things to say 'bout ahelluva lotta things.%0D %0D She's deep.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2011

Right before Bill Maher went on break, he mentioned she'll be one of his guests at some point when he returns.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2011

I love Janeane and think she's very smart and funny. I don't care what you cunts say.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2011

I saw her once in West Hollywood. She had the weirdest walk, she was swinging her arms like a monkey. At the time I thought she was doing it as a joke.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2011

R15 - LOL

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2011

I adore Janeanne Garofalo, she's awesome!

I especially love that she's ok with being herself, au naturel, as opposed to always getting painted and gussied up like most whores.

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2011

She was on Bill Maher. She clearly is intelligent but she needs a stylist. In your 40s the hoodie/hipster thing doesn't work.

I wish she would pull a Rachel Maddow and spiff it up a bit so people would take her more seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2011

Recently I heard her interviewed on some satellite radio comedy station and she was so peculiar that I listened for a good fifteen minutes before finally confirming that it was her. Not only was she pissed off, but she was rather pathetic in her resignation of having had her career intentionally and irreparably wrecked by unseen high-up forces and tangled conspiracies.

Two or three years earlier, I recall hearing her go on about the elaborate surveillance to which she was subjected, continuously, every where. (Yet a year ago she was on Bill Maher and seemed relatively together and sensible.) Something happened with her a while back and it seems she went off the deep end; the lines between truth, perception, opinion, exaggeration, and fucking crazy and all a blur with her it seems. It's a shame because, while I was never a huge fan, she used to have her wits about her and was sharp as well as sharp witted; now she just makes me think that she needs help.

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2011

She does this funny bit about everyone thinking she's a lesbian.

Smart cookie, too smart for Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2011

She's in The Bell Jar honey

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2011

She has a comedy special that's available on Netflix. I watched it last week. Was painful to watch. Wasn't anything funny about it at all.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2011

I love her bit about her nightly workout regimen: "Drink a screwdriver, couple bowls of cereal, then straight to bed!"

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2011

she has fibromayalgia?

by Anonymousreply 2809/10/2011

she has fibromyalgia?

by Anonymousreply 2909/10/2011

It's now very easy for the feds to put high profile dissidents under blatant surveillance because, if they speak about it, everyone assumes they are crazy.

Usually, they can burrow deep into your life without you ever knowing, but sometimes following is just a way of harassing people, to make them scared. And sometimes, it isn't even the feds -- it is just people that are mad at you and are screwing with your head. But talking about that makes others think you are nuts.

Those actors who went to Canada because they thought they were on an anti-entertainment hit list were treated badly until Ronni Chasen died, and those artists (Duncan and Blake) who feared Scientology so much they committed suicide were treated as poor victims of their own delusions until the divorced wife of a Scientology actor subsequently noted the similar ways that she had been harassed after leaving the Church.

It may have not been the feds that were messing with Janeanne, but that doesn't mean she wasn't getting messed with.

I started wondering about all of this after Iris Chang committed suicide -- maybe the Japanese government wasn't messing with her, but maybe some Japanese Nationalist group was...

by Anonymousreply 3009/10/2011

Isn't she connected to some Scientology offshoot?

Haven't kept up with her. She was great in her heyday.

by Anonymousreply 3109/10/2011

R8 how would you know if she was on adderall? Hm, are you an adderall whisperer or something?

by Anonymousreply 3209/10/2011

She's weirdly sexy.

by Anonymousreply 3309/10/2011

[quote]I especially love that she's ok with being herself, au naturel, as opposed to always getting painted and gussied up like most whores

A few years ago she was on a talkshow, maybe Letterman, after having had a tragic fake-tan incident. She was so deep-orange that for some time I thought that she was doing some schtick, that is was a gag of some sort. But she played it straight without once mentioning her orange skin. Maybe it wasn't Letterman, as he surely would have said something. Whoever the host was, he was clearly uncomfortable with this orange pissed-off and humorless creature.

by Anonymousreply 3509/10/2011

There is a UK comedy panel quiz show that I like called "Nevermind the Buzzcocks".

For those who don't know anything about it, it's basically a pop-music quiz. There are two teams of three "celebrities", most often music or comedy personalities.

The panelists often let lose with quips and jabs, aimed at each other, and it's taken as good-natured ribbing. Usually.

One episode had Jeneanne Garofolo. Can the claim be made anymore that she is a comedienne? She either didn't get the point of the show, or is just a humourless bitch. While everyone else is having a laugh, she took the whole thing very seriously and seemed angry throughout the entire show. You could tell that she was making everyone else uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 3609/10/2011

Ah I love buzzcocks and didn't realise she'd been on. Gonna watch her ep on youtube now, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3809/10/2011

[quote]Or the British humour didn't make her laugh and she wasn't going to fake it.

Then she had no business agreeing to be on a British comedy show!

She's been around long enough to know whether or not she "gets" British humour. As a pro, having agreed to appear on a British comedy program she should have gone along with it even if it went over her head. She should have been able to do that without "faking it". She knew what she was getting in to.

Instead, her choice was to be uptight and miserable-looking.

Other Americans have appeared on "Buzzcocks" and have had a great time with lots of laughs.

I used to be a fan. Now she's a horror show.

by Anonymousreply 3909/10/2011

"I couldn't be more English myself"

What the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 4009/10/2011

I always thought she was a lesbian.Is Janeanne asexual? Has she ever been in a relationship with a man or woman?

by Anonymousreply 4109/10/2011

[quote]the British humour didn't make her laugh... It doesn't make me laugh either and I couldn't be more English myself He's explaining R40 that he doesn't have a sense of humor, and can therefore relate to Jeananne's humorless, constipated appearance while on a comedy show.

by Anonymousreply 4209/10/2011

I was saying the British sense of humor doesn't do it for me. I have a terrific sense of humour thank you.%0D %0D That Buzzcock's thing is smug and not half as funny as it thinks it is.%0D %0D But it does sound like Janeane should have put on a better show.

by Anonymousreply 4309/10/2011

Only in your mind r21 is Maddow taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 4409/10/2011

[quote]In your 40s the hoodie/hipster thing doesn't work.%0D %0D Agreed!

by Anonymousreply 4509/10/2011

Does she still have short bleached hair and exposed tattoos?

by Anonymousreply 4609/10/2011

[quote] Has she ever been in a relationship with a man or woman? Back in the day when they did his TV sketch show, she was sleeping with Ben Stiller.

by Anonymousreply 4809/10/2011

I love her too but part of her problem is she's so "above" anything mainstream that she torpedoes every opportunity she gets. She *was* adorable in "Truth About Cats & Dogs" but then she went around talking about how cheesy and lame it was. She claims to want to be an actress but derides anything Hollywood produces. Why would anyone in Hollywood keep giving her opportunities after that?

by Anonymousreply 4909/10/2011

She's a friend of Bill now. All the crazy on the inside matches the crazy on the outside. This explains her poor participation in ensemble work.

Also, warning: us drunks lock into the 'look' we had the year we got sober. She picked a bad year.

by Anonymousreply 5109/10/2011

I loved her in Romy and Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 5209/10/2011

[quote]Here's another vote for her to be found hanging in a closet with her feet dangling.

Ugh, sorry, but this is just wrong. Are you Dick Cheney?

by Anonymousreply 5309/10/2011

[quote]I loved The Truth about Cats and Dogs, but honestly, she's a lovely attractive woman in that film and they acted as if she was Bigfoot's cancer-ridden sister.

They went overboard trying to portray her as some ugly troll who could never attract a date and Uma is not half as hot as people make her out to be. Ever since I saw her feet in Kill Bill that's all I see when I look at her. Ugly, ugly feet.

by Anonymousreply 5409/10/2011

I remember the "Fish out of water" film she did when her character went to Ireland for some reason, and The Object of her Affection was supposed to be a bumpkin but was really a journalist (yada yada yada -- I can hear the pitch in my head)...

She seemed drugged -- on purpose

by Anonymousreply 5509/10/2011

She was at the ten year anniversary celebration of Wet Hot American Summer a couple months ago and was very very funny up on stage.

I still can't stop laughing when I think about her scene in Reality Bites where she pretends to be Steve Zahn's mother as he practices coming out to her. "Oh... Christ."

by Anonymousreply 5609/10/2011

We prefer stand-up comics who actually make us laugh.

And actresses with looks and talent.

As a general rule.

by Anonymousreply 5709/10/2011

[quote]We prefer stand-up comics who actually make us laugh.

[quote]And actresses with looks and talent.

[quote]As a general rule.

Is this a parody post?

by Anonymousreply 5809/10/2011

Janeane was so big in the 1990s and then she seemed to go under the radar, and a lot of that was because she was basically the poster girl for the grunge/slacker culture of the 90s. When that culture went out of fashion, Jeanean was kind of left behind because she was so identified with it. She also didn't do anything to break out of that time period either, i.e. she never updated her look - to this day she still dresses like it's 1993.

by Anonymousreply 5909/10/2011

R59, yeah, that happens when one's mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 6009/10/2011

R46 - I always assumed that hair cut was the traditional Hollywood method to cover up recent plastic surgery -- dye your hair the opposite color & get a dramatic cut. I never did care enough to compare older pictures to see what she had done, but I suspect nose work.

by Anonymousreply 6109/10/2011

"I love her too but part of her problem is she's so "above" anything mainstream that she torpedoes every opportunity she gets,"

Several years ago, she was on the bill at one of the Just for Laughs comedy galas in Montreal. She complained from the stage how she was "so not a gala person" and she should have been at one of the smaller alternative comedy club gigs. She probably should have got that anxiety out off-stage, but there you go. After several minutes of not eliciting any laughs, and frankly she wasn't trying very hard, she said, "I was recently diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so it's your funeral," which actually is a funny line and makes me laugh just to hear about it.

I think she got insane toward the end of the Air America debacle.

by Anonymousreply 6209/10/2011

And by "hear about it" I meant "think about it."

by Anonymousreply 6309/10/2011

there are some 2009 photos of her at gettyimages. She went back to the black dark hair, but she is definitely stuck in one look. A lot of people are like that, though.

by Anonymousreply 6409/10/2011

She was very funny back in the 90s, I really enjoyed her.

by Anonymousreply 6509/10/2011

IMO her Melrose Place bit in "Reality Bites" gets her a lifetime pass.

by Anonymousreply 6609/10/2011

I will fuck her til she loves me.

by Anonymousreply 6709/10/2011

I used to try to listen to her Air America show, but it was just terrible. She had this constant monotone rant that made her sound like an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic, she couldn't do interviews--just talked over everybody--and used poor Sam Seder as a punching bag. The only times it was bearable was when David Cross showed up, because he refused to succumb to her negative bullshit and insisted on being funny.

by Anonymousreply 6809/10/2011

She reminds me of Ellen Page.

by Anonymousreply 6909/10/2011

R51's message is so funny. I think I'll print it out and frame it.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7009/10/2011

She always seemed so angry and unhappy to me. Her roles also seemed to always be the same - she's a one trick pony.

by Anonymousreply 7109/10/2011

The movie where she is a politician's aide and goes to Ireland is called The Matchmaker.

by Anonymousreply 7209/10/2011

What happened to her?

She is no Bill Hicks and surely must know that.

by Anonymousreply 7409/10/2011

I think the one trick pony idea is valid. I liked her point of view as a comedian in the early 90s and in The Truth About Cats and Dogs, which played on her offbeat, not mainstream, appeal. After that, I think she tried to stretch and just couldn't muster it.

by Anonymousreply 7509/10/2011

She was never really funny. And her ranting on Air America just made me hate her.

by Anonymousreply 7609/10/2011

Her 90's angst and clunky shoes became trite and went the way of Ryder, Cobain and Daria.

by Anonymousreply 7709/10/2011

R76, that's what she did on Keith Olbermann's show.

Ranted about the Tea party and stuff going on in politics.

Keith seems amused by her.

by Anonymousreply 7809/10/2011

I was a fan..then saw her at a comedy club, drunk, sullen, sneering at the audience who came to see her. Politically, I find her over the top and a poseur. Are she and Ben Stiller good friends? They suck equally, so it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 7909/10/2011

OK cowboy, I don't know what your trip is, but if this is some kind of a sick game... If you fuck with me, in any way, I will rip each and every appendage from your body, starting with your dick. Capice?

by Anonymousreply 8009/10/2011

Well, she is a strong woman who is both liberal and very supportive of the gay community.

But she isn't classically beautiful and is over 40, so most DL'ers will hate her guts and say nothing but nasty things about her.

Typical mental illness on display here...

by Anonymousreply 8209/12/2011

swine

by Anonymousreply 8306/12/2013

I'm watching her 2010 stand-up special "If You Will" on LOGO right now. She had a (bad) nose job, right? Her face looks very...odd. Different from her 90s face and not just due to weight loss.

I still think she's funny. Caught part of "Romy & Michelle" recently and she really stands out. A shame no one in Hollywood could figure out what to do with her brand of comedy, though I'm pretty sure she was conflicted about "selling out" to mainstream projects anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8406/12/2013

I like Janeane Garofalo and I have no doubt she probably encountered a lot of assholes in the business because she was never a babe and her humor was abrasive. But she always came across as way too sensitive to be in entertainment.

I remember when she was a vocal critic of the Bush administration, she was shocked at the subsequent negative attention. She didn't seem to get that while she had a right to criticize Bush, other people - however stupid - had the right to disagree with her. That's part of the risk of taking a stand; otherwise, you're just preaching in an echo chamber and who cares? If you can't handle the push back, don't open your mouth.

Also, I've read a few interviews where she talks about slights she's experienced. Things that happened years and years ago, things that really could have been interpreted another way. After reading these interviews, I couldn't understand how she had been in the business as long as she has and remained so thin-skinned.

by Anonymousreply 8506/12/2013

Isn't she pushing around a shopping cart somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 8606/12/2013

I know her fairly well. She was broken by the Hollywood machinery who told her endlessly that she wasn't pretty, was too chubby and basically judged her by her outward appearance as they do any other actress. For 10 years she tried very hard to play the game, and if you look at her standups and roles from the early 90's, she was hardly ugly. But eventually substances got the better of her and she did a complete 180. She seemingly TRIES her best to be as unattractive as possible now, and although I share many of her political leanings, she is so damn strident that the message is often lost. Honestly I am surprised she is still alive, and I wouldn't be shocked to read one day that she lo longer is.

by Anonymousreply 8706/12/2013

R87 what is she on?

by Anonymousreply 8806/12/2013

I saw her many years ago, walking her dogs with another guy who was really tall, like over 6'2". Her dog was a huge beast, not sure what breed and was actually walking her, if you get what I mean. She was covered in nasty tats.

by Anonymousreply 8906/12/2013

I will not swear this to be a fact, but there was a time that I felt there might be a little H involved. That was about the same time she became heavily tatted and emaciated.

by Anonymousreply 9006/12/2013

Well r87 is right, she really is strident. And a mess.

by Anonymousreply 9106/12/2013

That is too bad. She was funny, smart. What she embodied was basically a rolemodel for the clique I used to hang out with as a teen in the 90s. By destroying her I'd say her followers got the message: either change or be destroyed too. Nice.

Which was the point and always is the point when a voice is getting too annoying for the powers that be. And a woman, to boot.

by Anonymousreply 9206/12/2013

Interesting to see all of these roles she either lost or was offered but didn't take -

by Anonymousreply 9406/12/2013

I love her. I can listen to her comedy specials hundreds of times. That said, I feel like a lot of her political views are less about promoting liberalism and more about hating Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 9506/12/2013

That was pretty interesting to read [R94]. All of those TV shows/films would have been REALLY different had Janeanne been in them.

by Anonymousreply 9606/12/2013

She would occasionally bring her conservative dad Carmine onto her political radio show on Air America back during the dark days of the Bush administration, and they'd get in big fights. I had the feeling that growing up in his household really messed her up.

by Anonymousreply 9706/12/2013

I like her. She's very intelligent and doesn't do glamour, which is refreshing. Of course a female being intelligent and unglamourous will get you hated by a lot of fucked up people.

I'd take her over that nasty, horse-faced Sarah Silverman any day. If anybody deserves any hatred, it's that nauseating slutbag.

by Anonymousreply 9806/12/2013

You should read Sarah Silverman's autobiography (it's best on audiobook, read by her), r98, you might change your (really nasty and hateful) opinion of her. I don't particularly like her comedy, but I like HER immensely, she's a good and kind person, and she's been through a lot. (I also like Garofalo, though, like with Silverman, not her stand up.)

by Anonymousreply 9906/12/2013

r94 -

"Friends" with Garafalo would not have done as well as it did.

"Scream" - ok I can see it but Garafalo is not as good of an actress as Courtenay Cox. Garafalo is always droll and low energy in all her roles.

"Jerry Maguire" - maybe a possibility.

"The Fight Club" - would have worked but she turned it down. HBC wasn't great in that role either, it should have gone to Courtney Love imho.

"Princess Fiona" - too droll imho for that part.

by Anonymousreply 10006/12/2013

Stop Press. She was seen last night in the Gramercy Park area, by my husband, and he reported that she looked fine, not at all homeless.

by Anonymousreply 10106/13/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 10206/13/2013

Air America was like a perfume tester assortment of progressive broadcasters. The mad ranters like Marc Maron and Janeane Garofalo did not go on to blaze their fame across the firmament. The big successes were the ones who best combined impeccable showmanship and comedy skills with being highly informed and insightful about politics and great at explaining them to the non-expert: Al Franken, who used his radio show as a springboard for his successful senate campaign, and Rachel Maddow, whom Air America basically treated like chopped liver (they replaced her morning show with Cenk fucking Uyghur!) but whom MSNBC was smart enough to snap up.

by Anonymousreply 10306/13/2013

What happened is the 90's ended.

by Anonymousreply 10406/13/2013

Yes, Marc Maron did go on to blaze his fame across the firmament. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 10506/13/2013

r106 reading glasses, that op said that Marc Maron & Janeane G did NOT go on to blaze their fame across the firmament.

by Anonymousreply 10706/13/2013

Yes, Marc Maron did go on to blaze His fame across the firmamament. WTF? (Podcast) and its success and Maron's recent fame are as much due to Maron's time at Air America and the experience he gained in radio as Maddow's were.

by Anonymousreply 10806/13/2013

She did a long interview with BroadwayWorld about the play she was doing and her career last year.

by Anonymousreply 10906/13/2013

She discovered shampoo and it ended her career.

by Anonymousreply 11006/13/2013

I remember hearing her on the radio here(Ireland) a few years ago. She came across really well, low key and funny. She acknowledged that she has a problem with alcohol, cider in this case.

by Anonymousreply 11106/13/2013

So true, R104.

by Anonymousreply 11206/14/2013

Re: aderall (sp?) I saw a YouTube clip of her talking about making her favorite 'drug salad' by crushing up 2 10mg adderal, two 2 mg. xanax and two 20 mg oxycontin together and how it made her feel like a goddess. She showed the bottles (her name and the drug name were on the Rx bottle) and she then took the pills crushed them up put the powder in a half empty juice bottle and drink the juice while on the film clip. The film clipped stopped and then resumed (I would assume once the drugs kicked in) She went on about how it got rid of her social anxiety and got rid of her feeling ugly and made her feel pretty. She ranted about how women are judged by their looks and when they aren't found pretty enough they are also thought to be stupid. She went on about the drug mix and how good it made her feel for about five minutes and then she suddenly stopped and said she would never recommend anyone take medication for anything other than what it was prescribed for, then tried to make it seem like the things she had just said and done before she realized how illegal it was was all just a joke. It was pretty sad. I thought it was pretty low of her friend to post it on you tube.This was about 7-8 years ago I've gone back and looked for it several times but I think it's gone.

I've met her a several times, we have mutual friends, and in 'real life' shes very funny, down to earth and kinda sweet, unless she's stoned or drunk. When she's stoned she can be rude and mean, talking down to people who she thinks are judging her.

Tattoos aside, I think she's an attractive and smart woman who has been made to feel ugly and stupid by the men and women in her life who judge her by HW standards. If she's still taking a bunch of Rx meds I can see how that would make her more than a bit paranoid.

Also she was a cutter at one point in her life

by Anonymousreply 11306/16/2013

I used to see her walking two GIANT dogs around Sunset/Crescent Heights about ten years ago. More like they were walking her. Never understood the Janeanne is ugly stuff. She was always a cute chick, very much of "the real world".

by Anonymousreply 11406/16/2013

Joan Rivers really hated her.

by Anonymousreply 11506/16/2013

Janeane had a sort of Pia Zadora cuteness that was pretty irresistible. Our culture focuses so tightly on beauty that we often underestimate the power of cute.

by Anonymousreply 11606/16/2013

[87] [113] What exactly has had done to her face? I know she had a nose job sometime in the early 2000s, which she complained about on Air America, but it looks like more was done.

There was also a point in 2009 where she was wearing a wig for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 11701/10/2015

[R87] [R113] What exactly has had done to her face? I know she had a nose job sometime in the early 2000s, which she complained about on Air America, but it looks like more was done.

There was also a point in 2009 where she was wearing a wig for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 11801/10/2015

How long was she dating Henry Rollins for?

by Anonymousreply 11901/10/2015

[R119] 2006-2008, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 12001/10/2015

Oddly they're both still single. Why is that R120 ? And why'd they break up?

by Anonymousreply 12101/10/2015

She has a boyfriend actually. Can't speak for Rollins.

by Anonymousreply 12201/10/2015

Any dirt on Janeane? I'd love to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 12301/11/2015

Annoying. I change channels if she's on.

by Anonymousreply 12401/11/2015

I saw her do stand-up at the Festival Supreme at USC last October. She told a funny story about a young man thanking her for "giving a good talk". I was surprised by how short and thin she is, like a former elite gymnast.

She was always cute, and still could be. Her downfall was drifting away from stand-up that portrayed her as live action Daria and more toward serious political interviews. When Politically Incorrect used to be on ABC it would annoy me to see her refuse to wear any makeup, not even the men's version where they powder you down in a shade that looks clean faced on screen.

I'll always root for her. I know the cartoon Daria wasn't based on her, but yes it was. I'd love to see her create some sort of Portlandia type show that would demonstrate her point of view comedically. The key word is comedically.

by Anonymousreply 12501/11/2015

IMDB says 5'1, but she said on Letterman once that she was 4'11.

by Anonymousreply 12601/11/2015

I'm sure the "Wet Hot American Summer" revival will revive her career.

by Anonymousreply 12701/11/2015

She's in a sit-com on Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 12801/11/2015

Dating Henry Rollins? Is she some kind of masochist?

by Anonymousreply 12901/11/2015

She was very attractive/sexy on the West Wing. I was watching her episodes and I didn't even realize it was her until about the fourth time her character appeared. She looked polished and while her character was assertive, she wasn't harsh or obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 13001/11/2015

I once passed her on the street in NYC - maybe 10 years ago. She was dressed like a hoodlum and walking very, very quickly with her head down. If I'd gotten in her way, I have doubt she would have punched me. Seriously.

Oh, and I was surprised at how unattractive she was.

by Anonymousreply 13101/11/2015

I thought she was pretty in Cats & Dogs, but don't like her blonde tattooed look now.

by Anonymousreply 13201/11/2015

It must have been a bit of a mind fuck to portrayed as the doggy friend (as in that Uma Thurman movie, Cats and Dogs?) when you're actually pretty cute and good looking!

Hopefully the Wet Hot American Summer series is deliberately nauseatingly mawkish like Big Chill and Thirtysomething. That's some cringeworthy comedy there.

by Anonymousreply 13301/11/2015

Please. r133 - she took the job in Cats & Dog. She knew what was in the script. In Hollywood movies, the "ugly friend" is never UGLY (by everyday standards) - they just don't have "leading lady" looks. Janeane is supposedly a commedian - if she can't laugh that off she needs to turn in her comedy card.

by Anonymousreply 13401/11/2015

[quote]I love Janeane and think she's very smart and funny.

So does she.

by Anonymousreply 13501/11/2015

[quote]She acknowledged that she has a problem with alcohol, cider in this case.

Good God! Who has a problem with 'cider' in 21st century America?

Maybe she's the reincarnation of some West Country wench.

by Anonymousreply 13601/11/2015

Here she is in 2009, I think this is the wig that a previous poster referred to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52PbXrSLTo0

by Anonymousreply 13701/11/2015

I saw her shitting in the electronics department at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 13801/11/2015

Here she is struggling with her set.

by Anonymousreply 13901/12/2015

R139 that was good, when was that? I thought I'd hate it since she became a really weird shrill political bitch but that was sweet and gentle, and funny.

by Anonymousreply 14001/12/2015

[R140] The video says 2009

by Anonymousreply 14101/12/2015

I'm surprised how thin she's gotten over the years. Is she anorexic?

by Anonymousreply 14201/12/2015

She's only skinny because of Adderall.

by Anonymousreply 14301/12/2015

Interesting to look back on this 12 year old interview and realize that Garofalo was right about everything and Brian Kilmeade turned out to be wrong about everything.

by Anonymousreply 14401/12/2015

Janeane was a very funny stand-up in the 90s, some of her old stand-up routines are on Youtube. She was excellent at observational humor and talking about her own neuroses in a fun way.

by Anonymousreply 14501/12/2015

I have met so many het boys who think she is 'epic'. I don't disagree and love angry women, especially when they have any sense of humour, but yeah, I think she lost her career focus when she started doing TV. She'd been known for a very edgy, insightful kind of poli-humour, going along the lines of Carlin, then guided into movies and TV and away from stand-up. She got caught in the transition gap between the 90's and the Millenial, imo and the Borg do not like it when people don't assimilate. She's not an assimilator, professionally or personally.

And yeah, did she really date that lunkhead Rollins? Talk about a hypocrite!

by Anonymousreply 14601/12/2015

Actually, her 90s stand up was non-political.

She does go after younger guys.

by Anonymousreply 14701/12/2015

She's on a show called Girlfriend's Guide To Divorce. I downloaded it and I don't think it'd appeal to anyone except women who identify with the women in the show. It'd be boring and probably annoying to anyone else. Janeanne could do better, it's definitely not the best show she could be on, or want to be on, they just met her price.

by Anonymousreply 14801/13/2015

I think tomorrow is her last episode.

by Anonymousreply 14901/13/2015

She stinks. I don't think she bathes often, and she drinks a lot. She's a pretty miserable person.

by Anonymousreply 15001/13/2015

I met her numerous times after shows in NYC, she couldn't be more down to earth. She stopped drinking a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 15101/13/2015

I didn't know she was ever a drunk, is that even confirmed, or just assumed by her haters? I know they've accused her of being drunk on her radio show, but I listened to it religiously and she wasn't drunk. She was on Adderall and said she loved that. I think everyone does, it's sold on the black market for students to help them study. She also started smoking pot again, which she said he hadn't for over a decade. She said her brother, who is now a conservative Repug like the rest of her family, used to deal pot out of their basement when they were kids.

by Anonymousreply 15201/13/2015

When did say she started smoking pot again?

by Anonymousreply 15301/13/2015

On Air America, I'll take a guess around 2009.

by Anonymousreply 15401/13/2015

She always seemed to have body image problems, here she is modeling hair extensions in this video.

by Anonymousreply 15501/13/2015

She played the Vet on Broad City.

Fucking funny sitcom!

by Anonymousreply 15601/13/2015

r152 Janeane herself has talked about being a recovering alcoholic. She did a stand-up special about three years ago and talked in detail about her intervention. She said some friends of hers came over to her apartment and dumped all of her vodka bottles down the sink. And then they found Janeane's "emergency flask" of vodka that she kept behind the couch. She said she was so pissed that they found that - the way she told the story was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 15701/13/2015

Well her father is an alcoholic, so that's where she got it. He's a functioning alky, but she says he gets hammered every night. Can you imagine, the old freeper bitterly ruminating about those "dastardly liberals."

by Anonymousreply 15801/13/2015

I read that she considered herself asexual and never felt like having sex, with caused her boyfriend a lot of grief (no, this was not from one of her standup routines)

by Anonymousreply 15901/13/2015

She did seem a bit prudish about sex, on her radio show, odd for a liberal. But it's not like she judges others, sex just doesn't seem to interest her much. Or it was just a phase at the time.

by Anonymousreply 16001/13/2015

She may not be a spring chicken anymore (she's 50) but she seemed much more attractive before she got all those tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 16101/13/2015

A lot of Janeane's issues come from her upbringing. She grew up in a super-Catholic, conservative Republican household which also included her crazy Irish grandmother who was just a complete mental case. And as mentioned, her father was a raging alcoholic. That kind of upbringing would have an effect on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 16201/13/2015

[R159] She also says she has social anxiety, which can stifle a person's libido. I don't think she sees a psychiatrist for it.

by Anonymousreply 16301/13/2015

She's on GG2D, right now in her last episode.

by Anonymousreply 16401/13/2015

R24 What are you doing here? You don't even live here! This is MY apartment! I sign the lease!

by Anonymousreply 16501/13/2015

I saw her in Bill Maher a few years back. She was kind of bombing and then she spilled her drink. I had to change the channel after that,

by Anonymousreply 16601/13/2015

I don't know much about this Henry Rollins guy. What did he do to make DL dislike him? I want to join the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 16701/13/2015

Rollins is in the closet, and refuses to come out.

by Anonymousreply 16801/13/2015

Still crazy.

by Anonymousreply 16901/14/2015

Why is Janeanne Garofalo leaving GG2D?

by Anonymousreply 17001/14/2015

I think someone on another thread said that she didn't like the writing, her character or the showrunner/other actresses. Weird that she didn't hang on a few more episodes though and just take the money.

by Anonymousreply 17101/14/2015

Thanks for the info, r171.

by Anonymousreply 17201/14/2015

Despite her protestations, she used to have rock-solid onstage confidence. It's that quality I most miss about her now and which reveals itself in a million small ways. That torch has passed to Lena Dunham. I think the Ben Stiller breakup took something out of her even before The Bush Years, but who knows? Her identity was so grounded in 90s hipsterdom that finding an older identity (aside from motherhood) may have been difficult.

Here she is explaining her rationale for horrifying fashion choices:

Gotta disagree with her about the shoes - zany flats scream spunky old lady whose choices for creative expression have been narrowed to footwear.

by Anonymousreply 17301/20/2015

Yeah.

Wow, you know what, yeah.

Where the fuck am I?

What the fuck happened?

Thank you. Thank you for this.

by Anonymousreply 17401/20/2015

R174 aka Janeanne so, tell us whom are you dating?

Are you still drinking?

Inquiring minds, etc. We're a gossip site.

by Anonymousreply 17501/20/2015

[quote]Her identity was so grounded in 90s hipsterdom that finding an older identity (aside from motherhood) may have been difficult.

She should just do what Marc Maron did and get a podcast.

by Anonymousreply 17601/20/2015

[R176] She doesn't use a computer.

by Anonymousreply 17701/22/2015

Her humor and persona would be great on a show like Veep as a campaign manager.

by Anonymousreply 17801/22/2015

[quote]Her humor and persona would be great on a show like Veep as a campaign manager.

Been there, done that.

(Though I could see her on Veep as a Congresswoman or a lower-level Cabinet Secretary.)

by Anonymousreply 17901/22/2015

She may be a good person but I cannot stand the whole tatted-up, droll, sarcastic, "I hate Republicans" persona that every waitress in every major city puts on.

It's just boring and anti-sexy, that's all.

Who wants to spend their life with a cynical person, not I.

by Anonymousreply 18001/22/2015

R177 obviously she answered at R174 unless that was someone impersonating her. So that means she DOES use a computer if that was her.

by Anonymousreply 18101/23/2015

R181 = the turnip truck just came by.

by Anonymousreply 18201/23/2015

After she bombed onstage at Latitude Festival in 2009, she went backstage to her dressing room and ripped her wig off. It was NOT a pretty sight.

by Anonymousreply 18301/24/2015

R183 Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 18401/25/2015

[R184] Yes it is. Ask Jon Ronson.

by Anonymousreply 18501/26/2015

She'll be at SF Sketchfest this week.

by Anonymousreply 18601/26/2015

Looking good with the new lips.

by Anonymousreply 18701/27/2015

She's freely admitted to using botox.

by Anonymousreply 18801/27/2015

[R183] and [R185] are fucking liars. Janeane wasn't wearing a wig at Latitude. Loads of extensions yes, but a wig, no. She ripped nothing off. Emma Kennedy confirmed this on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 18901/28/2015

I recognize her voice on those AARP commercials "You Don't Know AARP".

by Anonymousreply 19001/29/2015

[R152] She said on Sam Seder's show in 2011 that she stopped smoking pot in 2009, because it gave her too much clarity in memory. She said was remembering all her childhood events.

by Anonymousreply 19102/02/2015

Both she and Margaret Cho were funny when they first came out but Jesus, now Margaret is the self-proclaimed King of All Gay Men and Janeanne...well she says she's not but she's certainly a good mascot for the Sisters of Sappho.

by Anonymousreply 19202/02/2015

When will women realize that fish lips look completely unnatural?

by Anonymousreply 19302/02/2015

Here's a recent interview with her.

by Anonymousreply 19402/08/2015

[quote]Who wants to spend their life with a cynical person, not I.

Honey, do you realize where you are?

by Anonymousreply 19502/08/2015

R192 both of them are straight though. Margaret is completely lying about ever fucking a woman, despite her "I'm a yellow submarine" schtick which is a lie. Everything Cho says is a lie. Her background was never poor, she NEVER hung out with any black people at Lowell HS, and ffs, she went to Lowell HS, which was & is the whitest most Asian public HS with the HIGHEST scores in all of SF. Even now.

I know a lot about Mags since I knew people she hung out with in HS at Lowell, who were all BTW, Asian.

I don't know anything about Janeane, I think she's from the East Coast. But she's never been with women nor wants to be as far as I can tell. She pings but I think there's nothing there.

by Anonymousreply 19602/08/2015

She's from Madison, New Jersey. Went to Madison High School with VH1 Classic host Eddie Trunk. Graduated from James E Taylor HS in Katy, TX.

by Anonymousreply 19702/08/2015

Thanks for posting that YouTube interview link, r194. Made me like her even more.

by Anonymousreply 19802/14/2015

No problem, and here's another one.

by Anonymousreply 19902/14/2015

I find her physically quite attractive (great eyes) but when she speaks she sucks the life outta you. Seems like she wants to be the female Lenny Bruce, speaking truth to power or some shit, but winds up pleasing no one, not even herself.

If there was a deli sandwich named for her, would it be The Garafaloaf?

by Anonymousreply 20002/14/2015

R199 Jesus, who is that flaming queen interviewing her? America's answer to Alan Carr?

by Anonymousreply 20102/14/2015

R200 She was attractive back in the 90s but now she's gotten old and now looks like a middle-aged college professor.

by Anonymousreply 20202/14/2015

OK, I didn't like that one, r199. (I'm a middle aged straight guy, dunno, maybe I don't care for flamboyant camp)

One of the things I find perplexing about Janeane (one 'n') and some other comics I'm very fond of - I'm thinking of specifically Marc Maron, but this applies to SO MANY others - is why they choose a profession which requires that they perform and reveal themselves (and all their most loathsome attributes) onstage while asking for their audience's acceptance and approval... while they themselves - at some level - despise themselves. They are so smart and creative, and whether it's Janeane, or Marc, or Patton, I just want to get them a mug of hot cocoa and a blanket and say, you're OK.

by Anonymousreply 20302/14/2015

R202: She is a bit professorial, you're right. Never thought of it that way. She still seems like she'd be a good friend to have.

by Anonymousreply 20502/14/2015

R203 Because it beats doing a mundane day job like the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 20602/14/2015

r206... I'm not sure that's it's about just avoiding a mundane day-job. Most of these comics are smart, creative, come from middle-class or above families. Of course, at this point, she's qualified to do nothing else, and has said so in interviews. But there is some kind of psychological drive for these comics that combines self-hatred with public approval.

by Anonymousreply 20702/14/2015

She was just on "Broad City", looking good.

by Anonymousreply 20802/18/2015

This was blind item posted today, I believe it's about her.

This actress used to be A list. She was kind of like the Sarah Silverman of her decade, but Sarah has always been nicer. Our former A lister was on some of the greatest television shows of all-time. I am particularly fond of an old pay cable comedy show on which she had a recurring character. The next thing you know she is the lead in movies. She couldn’t handle it though. Stress almost killed her. Even today the stress from that time has led her to have problems such as hair loss. Not just a few hairs, but she is almost bald and has to wear wigs.

by Anonymousreply 20902/21/2015

I agree with 208 insofar as she was just on Broad City.

by Anonymousreply 21002/21/2015

You're correct r207. If you've watched the documentary of Joan Rivers 'A Piece of Work' you'll see that your diagnosis is accurate. They're insecure narcissists for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 21102/21/2015

[quote]One of the things I find perplexing about Janeane (one 'n') and some other comics I'm very fond of - I'm thinking of specifically Marc Maron, but this applies to SO MANY others - is why they choose a profession which requires that they perform and reveal themselves (and all their most loathsome attributes) onstage while asking for their audience's acceptance and approval... while they themselves - at some level - despise themselves. They are so smart and creative, and whether it's Janeane, or Marc, or Patton, I just want to get them a mug of hot cocoa and a blanket and say, you're OK.

by Anonymousreply 21202/21/2015

R209 I'm not sure she was ever an A-lister.

by Anonymousreply 21302/21/2015

[R213] Yes, but everything else fits.

by Anonymousreply 21402/21/2015

Brain dead liberal got what was coming to her.

#BaldGarofalo

by Anonymousreply 21502/22/2015

Love her. Hope she's doing well.

by Anonymousreply 21602/22/2015

When she was nominated for an Emmy, she showed up at the ceremonies in a sweatshirt and pair of jeans

What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 21702/22/2015

I love her - she was excellent in Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce.

Hope she does more.

by Anonymousreply 21802/22/2015

Tim and Faith looking so skinny.

by Anonymousreply 21902/22/2015

Who is she?

Who does she hope to be??

by Anonymousreply 22002/22/2015

This was posted on Blind Gossip, this week.

Nothing Funny About Her Stress [Blind Gossip] This comedic female actor has had a successful career, starring and appearing in more than 50 films and television shows. However, while she has career success, it has been very difficult for her to manage her personal stress level.

A few years ago, she was doing an appearance at a comedy club. Her set did not go well, and she left the stage early. While storming back to her dressing room, she was so distraught that she ripped off her wig… revealing to several shocked onlookers that her real hair was short, thin, brittle hair and had multiple bald patches!

It turns out that she was so stressed out that she was consuming only vitamins and a few bites of food from one meal a day. She was so malnourished that she had lost much of her own hair and was forced to wear wigs just to look “normal”.

Thankfully, she is better now. She has ditched the wig… but still has to wear tons of hair extensions on an everyday basis!

by Anonymousreply 22104/04/2015

She went as crazy as Margaret Cho (who is performing at Indian casinos near Palm Springs for $35 a night) only she did it first.

by Anonymousreply 22204/05/2015

Here's a new interview she gave to Bitch Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 22305/07/2015

I think her collapse is complete.

by Anonymousreply 22405/07/2015

I still like the woman even if she is batshit crazy.

R223 Interesting interview. Glad she left that crappy show on Bravo. It's fucking hideous and she's right about it seeming really outdated.

by Anonymousreply 22505/07/2015

R223 Could that interview be more kiss ass?

by Anonymousreply 22605/07/2015

[R226] How so? It's two women talking to each other.

by Anonymousreply 22705/07/2015

She did the graceful thing, waited for her horrible bangs from "Reality Bites" to grow and bowed out of Hollywood society after realizing there would never be a more perfect part for her than "Heather Mooney" in Romy and Michele.

by Anonymousreply 22805/07/2015

There's only bangs, now. It happens to everyone, the longer they stay in the LA, Hollywood orbit; they fuss with themselves to the point where stuff starts falling off or they obsessively stick implants on, everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 22905/07/2015

Sadly, she was the most enjoyable element on the truly horrible GIRLFRIEND'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE. I never really liked JG as an actor but she's grown on me over time. She needs to find to find a series that's worthy of her talent.

by Anonymousreply 23005/07/2015

I could see her as some snarky operative in a Marvel film, actually lol. She could spar with Downey

by Anonymousreply 23105/07/2015

Nobody's going to hire her. She's like the Betty Buckley of comedy—not worth dealing with the batshit self-sabotage when there are so many other talented women out there.

by Anonymousreply 23205/07/2015

What the hell is going on with her lower lip? She looks like a stroke victim.

by Anonymousreply 23305/10/2015

she is scared

by Anonymousreply 23405/10/2015

She's touring the country doing stand up.

by Anonymousreply 23505/10/2015

Here she is in a new photo from the new "Wet Hot American American Summer" TV Series.

by Anonymousreply 23605/24/2015
Need more help? Click Here.