Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dorothy Zbornak''s Personal Style

Didja ever notice how Dorothy was so committed to her aesthetic of oversized, shapeless clothes that she even maintained it all the way into her accessories by carrying only oversized, shapeless purses? The strain of these large leather sacks seem like they must have caused fatigue on Dorothy's shoulders, but I guess stylistic integrity meant more to Dorothy than comfort.

by Anonymousreply 201August 25, 2019 2:49 PM

I'm just amazed she wore piles of clothes with knee-high boots in Miami weather without breaking a sweat. Her circulation must have been shit.

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2011 7:42 AM

It's all about scale: big lady, big purse.

You'll notice that Maude Findlay also sported large, free-flowing styles, although more vest and duster centric.

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2011 8:31 AM

Didn't she carry a clutch most of the time? Like my gran in the 80's. Tons of shoes and each had a perfect clutch to match.

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2011 8:58 AM

She's Strong ,Handsome, Daring and now she's got a man

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2011 9:26 AM

Nothing she wore was as horrifying as that thing of a wedding dress they put her in for her last show. Carol Burnett's drapes gown in "Went With The Wind" was more flattering.

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2011 1:32 PM

Beatrice Arthur also wore those shapeless floor length vests over pants suits on MAUDE. She rarely was seen in a calf-length fitted dress. She must have been hiding a HUGE ass or a pear-shaped body.

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2011 1:41 PM

Dorothy was always having a Chicos kind of day.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2011 2:43 PM

Bea had great legs. She did a Gypsy Rose Lee tribute on Maude once and showed them off. Her body wasn't bad, but I guess she didn't feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2011 2:48 PM

[quote]The strain of these large leather sacks seem like they must have caused fatigue Chronic fatigue syndrome

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2011 2:49 PM

It took a lot of duct tape to keep that monster under control.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2011 2:52 PM

That's CONGRESSWOMAN MAUDE FINDLAY, to you!

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2011 2:53 PM

I've never understood how she got the attention of so many men at The Rusty Anchor dressed like a sack of potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2011 2:55 PM

It's all about lapels...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2011 3:01 PM

It wasn't always so...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2011 3:02 PM

Judy Evans was the costume designer.

Bea Arthur loved the clothes Judy picked out for her. In fact she insisted that Judy be her costumer designer on the one TV movies she did during her GG hiatus for ABC

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2011 3:02 PM

Don't throw in the cowl, Dorothy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2011 3:16 PM

I really loved that woman. RIP, Bea.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2011 3:31 PM

The most hilarious costumes were her nightgowns and "workout" clothes (coaching little league, etc). They somehow translated her look into those as well.

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2011 3:34 PM

As a victim of rape she was always careful to obscure her femininity; lest she expose herself to unwanted attention from a male aggressor.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2011 5:18 PM

Were heavy cowl neck sweaters and calf-length jackets the root cause of Dorothy's two episode bout with chronic fatigue syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2011 5:36 PM

I always wondered where the hell they got Dorothy's clothes. Besides being unflattering and fug, they were wildly inappropriate for South Florida

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2011 7:48 PM

Yes, r21, and that reminds me of the episodes where the heat goes out and they're all looking to bunk with Sophia because she has an electric blanket. Does anyone in Florida actually own an electric blanket?

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2011 7:53 PM

Cowl-neck sweaters and suede boots are the last things you'd want to wear in Miami, of all places. You'd collapse in a puddle of sweat in ten minuts.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2011 8:11 PM

She's old people. Old people like to stay warm.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2011 8:27 PM

"Didn't she carry a clutch most of the time?"%0D %0D r3, except possibly in scenes where they were in evening clothes at one of their formal galas, I never remember Dorothy carrying a clutch - in everyday life, Dorothy's huge purses almost invariably had two thick, clunky shoulder straps.%0D %0D I believe Rose did carry clutches often.%0D %0D Blanche I think of as usually having a purse with a shoulder strap - but a thin, petite strap, as opposed to Dorothy's. She may have had clutches sometimes, too.%0D %0D Sophia, of course, had only the bamboo purse with the handles she wore on her forearm.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2011 8:39 PM

Agreed, r5, Dorothy's wedding dress in the final episode was like the costume designer saying to the audience, "You think Dorothy's clothes for the past seven seasons have been ugly? You ain't SEEN ugly yet!!" My favorite part are the hideous ringlets that look like they were cut out of construction paper.

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2011 3:16 PM

The finale wedding dress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2011 3:23 PM

Dorothy gets married in the finale?!?! I can't believe you spoiled it for me --- I hadn't seen the last episode yet!

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2011 3:32 PM

[quote]Does anyone in Florida actually own an electric blanket?%0D %0D Yes, expecially in homes that have no central heat. For many decades, homes in south Florida were built with just a small space heater built into a hallway or living room.

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2011 3:33 PM

Why in hell would a woman in her sixties getting married for the second time wear a full length wedding dress with a veil?! Aside from being totally inappropriate it just looks stupid. An old woman in a long, white wedding gown? What bad taste!%0D %0D Aside from all that, the gown is totally hideous. Did anybody notice that? Or maybe the gown was meant for comic effect, and that's the reason it's so ugly. Anyway, it's one of the ugliest wedding gowns ever created.

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2011 3:46 PM

Back in the eighties I came across a book in the bookstore that purportedly contained anonymous interviews with celebrity lesbians. I wish I could remember the title. I have no idea if the interviews were legitimate or if the whole thing was made up. One of the interviews was with a TV actress who had starred in two popular sitcoms. From the little clues in the interview, it was fairly easy to figure out it was supposed to be Bea Arthur. One of the things she revealed is that she hated wearing skirts and dresses and vowed to always wear pants on her second big sitcom. Ever since reading that, I've noticed that she always seemed to be wearing pants on GG. Even when she was wearing a dress or an evening gown, it appeared she was wearing pants underneath, tucked into those suede boots.

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2011 4:09 PM

Except, r31, didn't she almost always wear pants on "Maude" too? Underneath those floor-length vests, I think she usually had pants on.

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2011 4:14 PM

I floved that tacky flowing orange monstronsity she wore to yet another charity event in the episode where Buddy Roarke pretends to be Charlie's war buddy in order to fleece Rose.

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2011 4:23 PM

Yeah, that's how I always picture her on Maude too, R32 - floor-length vest with pants. It was almost like a "costume." But I'm just repeating what was stated in that interview book; maybe there was more to the story, like she'd wear dresses on GG but only if she could wear pants underneath. For what it's worth, I'm not even sure she was a lesbian in real life. She left a lot of money to gay causes, but was married with (adopted) kids.

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2011 4:23 PM

What's this I hear about the need for heaters in Miami? As we've all heard from a famous Bass Soloist:%0D %0D ...the coldest of winters are warm and divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2011 4:29 PM

"I floved that tacky flowing orange monstronsity she wore to yet another charity event in the episode where Buddy Roarke pretends to be Charlie's war buddy in order to fleece Rose."%0D %0D Yes, and we were asked to believe the totally non-credible plot point that Blanche had picked out the very same dress for herself. As if Blanche would ever have picked out a flowing, shapeless Dorothy-style dress!

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2011 6:44 PM

I coined Dorothy's attire as "Lesbian Art Teacher Meets Inuit." So much draping!

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2011 6:49 PM

In the final season, they got a new wardrobe for all, and all of her tops looked like maternity tops. Not very flattering.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2011 6:54 PM

Dorothy Zbornak is a Stroppy, Imperious Cunt!

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2011 7:00 PM

The girls' dry cleaning bills must have been outrageous. They didn't wear anything machine washable.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2011 7:00 PM

Dorothy's wardrobe theme was Majestic Flowing Drama.%0D %0D Blanche's was Bedazzled Southern Slutty.%0D %0D Rose's was Prim Polyester Matronly.%0D %0D Sophia's was Shady Pines Alzheimer's Emergency Closet.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2011 7:37 PM

Dorothy's wardrobe theme was "Don't touch me!"

Blanche's was "rape me!"

Rose's was "That was so nice of him to buy me dinner and pay for the dinner ticket. I wonder why I'm feeling so...woozy."

Sophia's was "I haven't had feeling down there in years."

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2011 9:04 PM

Dorothy queefed dust.

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2011 9:08 PM

Hey, R43, I don't make snotty remarks about YOUR house!

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2011 9:20 PM

This thread simply cannot die after some 40+ replies.

by Anonymousreply 45September 8, 2011 12:09 AM

The GG was a great show, and Bea was great at Dorothy.

But my true love, forever and ever and EVER, is Maude Findlay. Bea was MASTERFUL as Maude.

(and these fucking DVD's need to ALL come OUT, NOW.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 8, 2011 12:19 AM

Bea's wardbrobe on GG was the height of fashion in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 47September 8, 2011 12:23 AM

[quote]This thread simply cannot die after some 40+ replies.

Why not, bitch? I almost did.

by Anonymousreply 48September 8, 2011 12:24 AM

Like that matters, Kim. You weren't hanging with the beautiful people at the reunion.

by Anonymousreply 49September 8, 2011 12:30 AM

A better shot of the wedding dress with the construction-paper curls making a V over Dorothy's titties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 8, 2011 1:43 AM

Watching the "Maude" theme song at r50, I wonder - what was Bea's secret for losing all that weight that she used to have in the Maude years, and for keeping it off? She deserves a lot of credit for discipline - once you hit that age, shedding poundage can't be easy.

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2011 12:51 PM

I seem to remember Dorothy having an array of hobo bags.

However, here she is with an over-sized sack:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 8, 2011 1:19 PM

Not to mention her oversized linebacker shoulder pads.

by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2011 1:36 PM

Is this the same actress whose body was riddled with syphilis?

by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2011 1:44 PM

Just caught a glimpse of an episode this morning. Dorothy's fashion choice was a purple velvetty looking mumu with a preacher collar.

by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2011 1:49 PM

I think I remember that outfit, r55 - I think it was one of her go-to date/dress-up outfits for a while.%0D %0D Did you see enough of it to get what the storyline of the episode was?

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2011 2:09 PM

Did the Girls ever wear the same outfit twice? For people who were always crying poor, they all had extensive wardrobes, including formal evening gowns.

by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2011 5:40 PM

Your point is a good one, r57 (they each seemed to own far more beaded evening gowns than your average substitute teacher or part-time grief counselor).%0D %0D However, a lot of their outfits were indeed worn more than once. This even resulted in one of the "Golden Girls Inconsistencies" that was detailed on that years-long, 600-post thread (which I think is now tragically lost to history): on a Christmas episode, Rose gives Blanche a blouse, but it's actually a blouse Blanche had already worn in a previous episode.

by Anonymousreply 58September 8, 2011 5:47 PM

They definitely wore outfits more than once. Ones that come to mind are that yellow and gray smock thing that Dorothy had on in the pilot, which didn't show up again til the 4th season. She also had a cable-stitched blue sweater that she wore a few times in the first three seasons. As for Blache, there was hideous gold pant and blowse combo, and faded jeans with a yellow sweater combo she wore a few times (notably in the season 1 episode where her niece Lucy visits). And, yes, if you have to ask, I am quite gay.

by Anonymousreply 59September 8, 2011 5:54 PM

Dorothy had an ugly green formal pantsuit-type ensemble, I think with kind of a ruffled shirt and green bowtie, that she apparently thought she looked great in, because she wore it more than once to dates and evening occasions in the first few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 60September 8, 2011 6:13 PM

Thanks for correcting me about the recycled outfits, I forgot about those.%0D %0D That massive Golden Girls thread from a few years back was a riot - we discussed everything about GG in obsessive detail, and no iconsistency or continuity error was too small. Too bad it's lost now, because it was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 61September 8, 2011 6:22 PM

Oh yeah r60,I remember that one. There was also that dressy pink faux lace monstrosity that she wore a few times in the first season. She's wearing it in the opening credits in the clip where she's on the bed with Sophia holding her hand. That showed up again in season 3 in the episode where they were donating clothes to charity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 8, 2011 6:28 PM

As for wearing clothes more than once, I remember Rose wearing a green argyle sweater more than once.

by Anonymousreply 63September 8, 2011 11:17 PM

[quote]Just caught a glimpse of an episode this morning. Dorothy's fashion choice was a purple velvetty looking mumu with a preacher collar.

R55, I'm watching that episode right now on the Hallmark channel! The one where Dorothy is fucking that nerdy little Eddie guy?

by Anonymousreply 64September 9, 2011 4:35 AM

I guess Bea really liked her style on Maude cause she wore those clothes in public, like in this clip from when she was on Carol Burnett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 9, 2011 4:45 AM

R59, I want to spend some serious cuddle time with you on the lanai.

by Anonymousreply 66September 9, 2011 5:02 AM

I am hoping R65 that you are kidding

by Anonymousreply 67September 9, 2011 5:05 AM

R59 I would like to add that the hideous blouse from that gold ensemble is also the gift that Rose gives Blanche for Christmas when Rose explains "Dorothy said you would like something crotchless."

by Anonymousreply 68September 9, 2011 5:10 AM

Dorothy's reaction to her own clothes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 9, 2011 5:11 AM

What about Rose's green plaid dress, I think that was in several episodes.

by Anonymousreply 70September 9, 2011 5:26 AM

Another actress who almost always dresses in pants and high necks is Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 71September 9, 2011 5:37 AM

I miss Bea Arthur. She was such a unique talent, and it's sad we're never going to see her again.

by Anonymousreply 72September 9, 2011 5:43 AM

R56, I think it had to do with DZ having a blind date that her mom set up, and Rose and Blanche being mentors to some girls. I just caught the first few minutes and I was mesmerized by Dorothy's outfit and the corny jokes.

by Anonymousreply 73September 9, 2011 5:56 AM

I could never really pin down their socioeconomic class position.%0D %0D They would be poor-ish one episode, and then have mid-level extravagances in another...

by Anonymousreply 74September 9, 2011 7:59 AM

[quote]Dorothy had an ugly green formal pantsuit-type ensemble, I think with kind of a ruffled shirt and green bowtie

This must have scared small children:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 9, 2011 12:46 PM

Classic exchange, when Dorothy asks for the girls' advice about jewelry:%0D %0D %0D Dorothy: Alright, girls, should I go with the pearls or the chain?%0D %0D %0D Rose: um, the chain%0D %0D %0D Blanche: An amateur's mistake. Can't you see that the chain accentuates the folds of that turkey-like neck?%0D %0D %0D Rose: Well, that may be true, but the pearls draw attention to the non-existent bosom.%0D %0D %0D Blanche: Yes, but the chain leads the eye directly down to that giant spare tire jutting out over those square, manly hips,%0D %0D %0D Dorothy: Why don't I just wear a sign that says "Too ugly to live"?%0D %0D %0D Blanche: OK, but where are you going to hang it from--the chain or the pearls?%0D %0D %0D Dorothy: Neither, I'M GOING TO SPRAY PAINT IT ON THE HUMP ON MY BACK!!

by Anonymousreply 76September 9, 2011 1:42 PM

I've always loved Rose's green sweatshirt with the airplane on it.

by Anonymousreply 77September 9, 2011 2:43 PM

RECYCLED DRESS: Worn by Sophia & her sister Angela (the DIVINE Nancy Walker). A red number with a big bkack bow tied at the neck. Can not recall who wore it first.

by Anonymousreply 78September 9, 2011 2:45 PM

I'm blind! I'm blind!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 9, 2011 3:11 PM

I actually like that green pantsuit, but without the bowtie. I always thought Dorothy was the most stylish out of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2011 5:03 PM

This is classic Dorothy right here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2011 6:08 PM

I never thought about it before but she did wear on awful lot of heavy clothing for FL. If she were really there she'd be collapse from heat stroke.

by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2011 6:12 PM

B Arthur wore the kind of clothes that a middle-aged, out-of-shape man in drag would wear%0D

by Anonymousreply 83September 9, 2011 6:19 PM

That orange dress that she & Blanche both wore was as ugly as the wedding dress.

by Anonymousreply 84September 10, 2011 1:09 AM

Agreed R84, and it was obviously designed for Bea, so when Rue wore it she looked like an Oompa Loompa

by Anonymousreply 85September 10, 2011 2:33 AM

The wedding dress is just hideous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 10, 2011 2:41 AM

R86's picture made me sad. Everybody is dead except Betty. I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 87September 10, 2011 3:05 AM

Well, R87, here's an excellent way to remember them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 10, 2011 3:57 AM

My favorite thing about this thread is the names of the posters.

by Anonymousreply 89September 10, 2011 5:54 AM

My mom used to say "She must have terrible legs" She seriously dressed like she had a deformity and she was a hot number. I don't get it, I lived thro the 80s but she took it to an extreme.

by Anonymousreply 90September 10, 2011 6:06 AM

Bea was considerably larger in her Maude days than she was on Golden Girls, and it seemed she still wanted to dress like she was covering up the fat.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2011 6:14 AM

The wedding dress was probably the producers way of getting back at bea for quitting the show! I know no other reason why a dress so heinous would be given to her to wear!

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2011 6:46 AM

R92 -

Shrimp?

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2011 12:03 PM

I wonder if Jean and Trudy McMahon ever got it on. After all, they were Dorothy's best friends from high school.

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2011 12:22 PM

The shorter cop is Bea's son:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2011 12:44 PM

So sweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2011 12:49 PM

I agree, r89.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2011 1:44 PM

r97's name doesn't ring a bell. Oh and btw, KILL GONZALEZ!

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2011 5:21 PM

Everyone know Enrique Mas!

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2011 11:48 PM

It's off. Bob Dishy, who played Mr. Terrific (awful, awful episode, btw), was Bea's contemporary on GG, but played her prospective son-in-law in the Maude pilot on All in the Family.

by Anonymousreply 100September 11, 2011 12:57 AM

She looked like the mother of a Solid Gold dancer.

by Anonymousreply 101September 11, 2011 2:08 AM

R98, I love that episdoe. It was just on last nite on the Hallmark Channel.

KILL GONZALEZ!

by Anonymousreply 102September 11, 2011 2:59 AM

I won in a landslide!

by Anonymousreply 103September 11, 2011 3:04 AM

Am I still barred from the Mortimer Club?

by Anonymousreply 104September 11, 2011 4:09 AM

Surpised you were able to walk in October.

by Anonymousreply 105September 11, 2011 4:22 AM

I'm in the jail again, this time for stealing Gino's pizza rolls.

by Anonymousreply 106September 11, 2011 4:35 AM

I think you've missed the point.

by Anonymousreply 107September 11, 2011 4:50 AM

Barbara, you cunt, go choke on your Edgar Allen Poetatoes.

by Anonymousreply 108September 11, 2011 4:58 AM

I think Dorothy had a trimmed bush, triangle shaped.

I bet Blanche kept it very well groomed for her gentlemen callers. I'm thinking landing strip.

I imagine Rose kept a hairy bush as a comforting reminder of the cat she gave away when she moved in to Blanche's home.

Sophia's hairs were probably falling out. I bet her granny panties looked like a salon floor.

by Anonymousreply 109September 11, 2011 5:15 AM

Who cares what my sister wore or how she had her bush. I'm the prettier one and mom's favorite. I loved pissing Dorothy off by getting Stan to sleep with me in her own bed!

by Anonymousreply 110September 11, 2011 12:41 PM

Gloria, I'll never forgive you, in your Doris Belack incarnation, for trying to have Sophia all to yourself by taking her back to California. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

by Anonymousreply 111September 11, 2011 1:14 PM

Gloria wasn't Dorothy's sister, she was mine!

by Anonymousreply 112September 11, 2011 8:25 PM

I will be attending one last garden party before the summer ends. I'll be covering the buffet table.

by Anonymousreply 113September 12, 2011 2:45 AM

OMG, I was just watching SOAP on Antenna TV, and they had Katherine Helmond in the same house dress that Rue was wearing in the season 1 episode where Dorothy's new bf, Dr. Elliot Clayton, makes a pass at her. Did Susan Harris recycle clothes from show to show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 12, 2011 2:55 AM

LOL @ r8!!!

by Anonymousreply 115September 12, 2011 2:55 AM

Dorothy's personal style is much better than Blanche's or Rose's.

by Anonymousreply 116September 12, 2011 10:28 AM

Dorothy is built like the stupid tree they wanted to save on *my* yard!

by Anonymousreply 117September 12, 2011 10:34 AM

Tall and strong. That's how I like 'em.

by Anonymousreply 118September 12, 2011 1:59 PM

Also worth a mention is one of Dorothy's ugly evening ensembles from later seasons, black with gold trim including gold military-style epaulets on the shoulder. She memorably wore this to The Rusty Anchor the night she first wowed the crowd with her impromptu rendition of "What'll I Do?" (because, of course, a bar full of rowdy straight men would instantly quiet and everyone would flock to the piano in rapt attention if a woman who looked and sounded like Bea Arthur started singing). But I think she also wore this outfit on other occasions too.

by Anonymousreply 119September 14, 2011 6:58 PM

I also enjoy how Bea NEVER wore heals... Only winter boots for her in those 80-90 degree weather Miami days

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2011 7:06 PM

This r119?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2011 7:15 PM

[R109] Scary enough I just read Rue's autobiography, in which she describes shaving everything below the equator because she was dating a guy who was into that while she was on the GG. I feel better sharing that--it was too traumatizing for me to keep to myself.

by Anonymousreply 122September 14, 2011 7:29 PM

R122, makes my name a little ironic, no?

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2011 11:13 PM

In that photo r81 linked - is BA photoshopped on that background? Strange.

by Anonymousreply 124September 17, 2011 3:53 PM

The "Dorothy sings at the Rusty Anchor" episode is on Hallmark RIGHT NOW!!! (Eastern time)

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2011 5:04 AM

Don't look directly at the dress, R125!

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2011 5:09 AM

I can't look away!!!

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2011 5:15 AM

R59 and R68, Blanche also wore the gold shirt and pants outfit on the episode when Fat Rebecca came to visit with her abusive fiancee.

Honestly, most of these outfits were VERY fashionable in the late 80s/early 90s.

And I though Dorothy looked better in the orange dress than Blanche. It made Blanche look short and fat.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2011 11:32 PM

It's no secret, Blanche told the girls that she always shaved "above the knee".

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2011 11:40 PM

[quote]Honestly, most of these outfits were VERY fashionable in the late 80s/early 90s.

Exactly. It's easy to forget nowadays, because to our eyes those outfits are hideous, but back then they were considered fashionable. Many women wore outfits just like the GG back then.

by Anonymousreply 130September 19, 2011 12:19 AM

Call me crazy, but I actually think the outfit Dorothy is wearing at the beginning of the episode "Mister Terrific" (see link) is kind of pretty.

On the other hand, the outfit Rose wears at 4:45 is hideous even by Golden Girls standards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 19, 2011 8:51 PM

Does anyone know why Bea Arthur wore a green ring on both Golden Girls and Maude? Anyone know the significance?

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2012 10:13 PM

I think Bea Arthur was very conscious of her height, and the wardrobe (if you care to call it that...some of the most hideous clothes to ever grace the small screen) was designed to camouflage it. Notice how she almost always has her arms bent at the elbow, often striking a very "theatrical" pose? I think she did that to take attention away from her "vertical-ness"

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2012 10:35 PM

I don't know, R132, but thank you for resurrecting this thread. It's one of my favorites!

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2012 10:41 PM

Dorothy had great taste in books.

by Anonymousreply 135September 19, 2012 5:26 AM

R132, I noticed that Betty wears a ring still that she wore on the show, so I think they might have worn personal jewelry.

R135, Dorothy recommended a HELL of a book to me!

by Anonymousreply 136September 20, 2012 2:42 AM

How does that Slurpee taste, Cousin Magda?

by Anonymousreply 137September 20, 2012 10:50 AM

Did Dorothy really have a big, floppy pancreas?

by Anonymousreply 138September 20, 2012 11:32 AM

Little known fact. Dorothy was into K9.

by Anonymousreply 139September 20, 2012 12:46 PM

Yes.. All of those clothes a-and the jewelry was very popular back in the 80's/early 90s. They were always very dressed up all of the time (which was the norm..and still is for alot of TV shows). Also, the more popular the show becomes (GG was no exception) then the more money was spent on wardrobes, hair, and makeup. (Or at least the hair and makeup usually gets better as the clothes do.) And, from what I've seen, a lot of the clothing was worn over and over again.

Dorothy was tall and statuesque. Her character was of Italian heritage. It looks as her stylists were inspired to have some re-interpretation of the Romanesque (‘Roman Goddess) in her dress. Hence, the draping fabrics and layers; the hair styles. Think of Roman art of women you’ve seen. Dorothy’s dress style and makeup is right in there.

Blanche was supposed to be a romantic, modern, independent but lonely woman. Using sex as a replacement for the love she’d lost. She was dressed accordingly.There are a few of her negligees I only wish I could get my hands on.

Rose was dressed in Betty’s signature style. A style which has always allowed her particular brand of humor to shine. Those zingers couldn’t come off quite the same without it. Traditionally soft, feminine, naïve ….on the outside.

I love the GGs. They are great, great characters and I wish there’d been more shows to watch.

by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2012 8:53 PM

R140 sounds like Laszlo. Though I agree, there is a dress that Blanche wore (it was linked in this thread) during the episode where Eliot Clayton made a pass on her, that I would kill to have in my collection. It's timeless, and she looked young and stunning wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 141October 3, 2012 10:51 PM

BEA WÁS SOMEONE I TRUELY LOOKED UP TO.WHENEVER I FELT LIKE CRAP I WOULD WATCH THE GOLDEN GIRLS AND LAUGH TIL I CRIED. WHEN BEA PASSED I'M POSITIVE A PIECE OF MY HEART WENT WITH HER THAT DAY. SHE TRUELY WAS A VERY SPECIAL LADY. REST IN PEACE BEATRICE.

by Anonymousreply 142February 21, 2013 8:48 PM

I bet Bea didn't scream things in all caps.

by Anonymousreply 143February 21, 2013 8:50 PM

[quote]Dorothy was tall and statuesque. Her character was of Italian heritage. It looks as her stylists were inspired to have some re-interpretation of the Romanesque (Roman Goddess) in her dress. Hence, the draping fabrics and layers;

All the fabric was used to hide hips as wide as a battleship.

by Anonymousreply 144February 22, 2013 4:19 PM

I don't know what any of you are talking about Bea Arthur had B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L clothes. I wish I could find tops like she wore

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2013 3:17 PM

When the green pantsuit got mentioned I thought of a completely different green pantsuit. The second one was emerald green and was often worn with a purple blouse and scarf combo. She wore that on and off from season 1 right until the end. I'm positive she wore it in the final scene at the Rusty Anchor.

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2013 3:43 PM

Unfortunately the only picture I could find of her in this costume I mentioned has a monster cucumber photoshopped into her hand.

I also think Blanche wore this same costume at least once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2013 3:49 PM

I only remember seeing Dorothy's legs (or even her ankles!) one time-- on the episode where they end up at the nudist resort and come down to dinner hiding behind the giant valentine hearts.

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2013 9:16 PM

My Italian grandmother loved this show. She is long dead too. That's how old y'all are.

Anyway, she was convinced that Bea Arthur had a colostomy and was hiding the bag. Apparently from neck to toe. In a way she was, no?

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2013 9:33 PM

Dorothy's style was terrible. She looked better as Maude

Here's Maude, Edith Bunker and Sue Ann Nivens on a night out in 1974. Maudie's keeping it tight here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 3, 2013 11:18 PM

Here's Maude and Vivian. Definitely looking better than Blanche and Dorothy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 3, 2013 11:21 PM

R8 Here's Maude in that outfit giving it her all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 3, 2013 11:35 PM

R147, that was no cucumber...surely you've heard the stories about how hung Bea Arthur was...

by Anonymousreply 153June 4, 2013 12:49 AM

This thread really brings sunshine. Can we talk about the shoes?? Other than the elf boots Dorothy always wore. Where there many satin peep toe pumps?

by Anonymousreply 154June 4, 2013 1:34 AM

Dorothy was a class act..

by Anonymousreply 155June 4, 2013 4:01 AM

I love that on the day Dorothy would be first meeting a star she'd lusted after for years, Patrick Vaughn... when, more than almost any other day in her life, she would put forth her highest effort to look beautiful, sexy, and desirable.... she picked THIS sweater to wear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 4, 2013 9:45 PM

My grandmother made her own clothes. She always had beads and earrings that exactly matched her outfit.

by Anonymousreply 157June 4, 2013 9:49 PM

The clothes aren't that bad considering it was the 80s. I've seen considerably worse on the street. I remember one of my aunts was sporting an apricot silk jumpsuit and mint green accessories to my mothers birthday party. My mother had an emerald green dress with white lapels made of some shiny fabric and shoulder pads you could've served a buffet lunch from. My sister had a burgundy velour sheath dress with gold piping, there were matching shoes and clutch bag too and I believe a headband may have been involved. The GG looked fine for the time.

by Anonymousreply 158June 4, 2013 11:58 PM

I was friends with Dorothy for a couple weeks... but it was just so I could bring her to the Mortimer Club, and we could all have a big laugh at her clothes.

by Anonymousreply 159June 5, 2013 12:32 AM

That green tuxedo no more resembles a Versace, than you ladies resemble a beauty queen!

by Anonymousreply 160June 5, 2013 12:33 AM

No one could wear an extremely long vest with quite the same flair as Bea as Maude Findlay... it made her seem especially elegant when she'd walk through the kitchen doors.

by Anonymousreply 161June 5, 2013 12:36 AM

one two three

by Anonymousreply 162June 9, 2013 2:02 PM

Capisce 's post about Bea having a colostomy and hence wore very loose clothes to hide the bag is a theory I've heard before and is on some medical sites ,so there may be some truth in it. Then , all those unflattering outfits would make sense !

by Anonymousreply 163June 9, 2013 2:06 PM

link please, r163

by Anonymousreply 164June 9, 2013 3:29 PM

[quote] Back in the eighties I came across a book in the bookstore that purportedly contained anonymous interviews with celebrity lesbians. I wish I could remember the title

I believe it was called (hold on for the huge surprise) "Hollywood Lesbians."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 9, 2013 3:38 PM

[quote] I was friends with Dorothy for a couple weeks... but it was just so I could bring her to the Mortimer Club, and we could all have a big laugh at her clothes. [/quote]

You seem really sophisticated and cool. Can we be friends?

by Anonymousreply 166June 9, 2013 3:48 PM

Dorothy looks like The Bride of Frankenstein!

by Anonymousreply 167June 11, 2013 11:28 AM

[[quote]You seem really sophisticated and cool. Can we be friends?

Yes, I am very sophisticated and cool. Sorry, I didn't catch your question.

by Anonymousreply 168June 12, 2013 3:02 AM

Re my post of 163 , having googled it I couldn't find a site to substantiate the rumour definitely .People have just put they "think" she may have had this condition. So, sorry for adding to the rumour mill. She sure liked her clothes baggy though !!

by Anonymousreply 169June 13, 2013 11:23 AM

R146, that's the outfit I remember most. She wore it several times...

by Anonymousreply 170June 13, 2013 11:50 AM

What about Bea as Turkey Lurkey, complete with a tie, vest, and what looks like boots:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171June 13, 2013 12:11 PM

What was your favorite Dorothy hairstyle:

-the severe crew cut of Season 1?

-when she grew it longer and let down her hair in Season 5?

-the poofy poodle-like hairdo of Season 7?

by Anonymousreply 172June 18, 2013 7:32 PM

The long hair of season 5 was flattering in the length department but the big bangs int he front were bad. She looked better with the hair off her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 18, 2013 7:53 PM

Bea Arthur impersonator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174June 19, 2013 2:29 AM

Well, my folks were poor. I had one of those reversible Hanging/Cotillion dresses.

by Anonymousreply 175June 23, 2013 11:47 AM

What was the secret of Eddie's sexual hold over Dorothy? Did he have an enormous cock? Did he eat Dorothy's pussy out like a champ?

by Anonymousreply 176June 25, 2013 6:36 PM

Hey Sophia, how come you never came to check on me??

by Anonymousreply 177July 1, 2013 5:12 AM

[quote]Hey Sophia, how come you never came to check on me??

She was busy banging the black guy with Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 178July 1, 2013 6:44 AM

'member on Braude how she always has a scarf around her turkey like neck?

by Anonymousreply 179July 1, 2013 9:35 AM

Eddie was a very brave man, r176.

by Anonymousreply 180July 2, 2013 11:40 AM

IT WAS MY FAVORITE DOLL!

by Anonymousreply 181July 3, 2013 1:02 AM

I just saw a big ugly man with a limp walk past my bedroom window, and he was wearing Dorothy's coat!

by Anonymousreply 182July 28, 2013 11:47 AM

Did she ever get her hump fixed?

by Anonymousreply 183July 28, 2013 1:25 PM

Enrique Mas = Henry Moore

Wonder what's the significance?

by Anonymousreply 184September 24, 2013 1:24 AM

ROSE DON'T! That tea was for my mommy.

by Anonymousreply 185September 24, 2013 2:50 AM

I like how the costume designer sort of surprised us on the Valentine's Day episode by having Dorothy be the one in red, rather than Blanche. Red is such an un-Dorothy color that it was sort of fun to see her in it that one time.

by Anonymousreply 186January 26, 2014 3:54 AM

Is this thread still going? lets talk about Dorothy's hair

by Anonymousreply 187July 28, 2014 1:32 PM

Remember when Dorothy asked Rose if she died her hair and Rose said, "Shut up you white haired bitch."

by Anonymousreply 188July 28, 2014 2:05 PM

[quote] Is this thread still going? lets talk about Dorothy's hair

"Dorothy, just because you go around looking like an English lawyer doesn't mean everybody has to."

by Anonymousreply 189February 8, 2018 4:06 AM

[quote] Enrique Mas = Henry Moore

Henry = Henry Warnimont = character on [italic]Punky Brewster[/italic] played by George Gaynes, who was in [italic]Tootsie[/italic] with Estelle Getty.

Moore = Mary Tyler Moore, for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 190February 8, 2018 6:06 AM

^ In other words, the president is married to Broderick Crawford?

by Anonymousreply 191February 8, 2018 6:10 AM

Broderick Crawford and Ronald Reagan were in a movie together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192February 8, 2018 6:15 AM

Wow! All these characters came back to pay tribute to the Golden Girls. So here's to Dorothy/Maude. Maude runs on FETV at midnight, if your cable gets it.

-Stan Zbornak

PS: I had Dorothy AND her sister Gloria!

by Anonymousreply 193July 14, 2019 2:43 PM

This thread is the best. I’m dying laughing.

by Anonymousreply 194July 14, 2019 2:48 PM

I wonder if Dorothy's brother Phil had better fashion sense than Dorothy. We never got to see any of his (undoubtedly) fabulous wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 195July 14, 2019 5:14 PM

There is a mystery to solve here.

Bea lost a bunch of weight after Maude and kept it off. And in two of her post-Maude projects, she wore flattering clothes.

In 1980's Beatrice Arthur Special, she wore a form-fitting gown slit up to her vag!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 14, 2019 5:30 PM

And in her 1983 sitcom Amanda's, she wore long skirts and blouses but they showed a waist and occasional decolletage.

But by 1986, she had entered her American burka period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 14, 2019 5:36 PM

This looks like a good place to leave this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 14, 2019 7:31 PM

[quote] I wonder - what was Bea's secret for losing all that weight that she used to have in the Maude years, and for keeping it off? She deserves a lot of credit for discipline - once you hit that age, shedding poundage can't be easy.

Alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 199August 25, 2019 2:59 AM

They need to recreate all of the outfits worn by the main characters and sell them on QVC as a limited edition 80's throwback special.

Or better yet, have Franklin Mint make portrait dolls of each character along with clothing and jewelry sets and wardrobe trunks like they did for Marilyn Monroe, Jackie O. Liz Taylor and Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 200August 25, 2019 3:25 AM

Adrienne Barbeau looks amazing for 54, let alone 74.

by Anonymousreply 201August 25, 2019 2:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!