Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MTV''s True Life

This week two young people who don;t want to be gay. Of course both have parents that rejected them. The guy "Prays The Gay Away" and is finally happy although he hasn't gone on a date with a girl yet, he's just not ready. These kids would rather be miserable to please their parents than be who they really are. So sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2020 5:18 AM

I watched that episode last week. So fucking sad. The scene where he has dinner with his roommates and the two girls and they all put their hands on him and pray that he stays strong and keeps Satan away is fucked up. I cannot believe how delusional people are. And of course, he decides to "find Christ" and go straight because he had bad relationships. Don't we all go through that at one time or another? Geez.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2011 4:05 PM

I saw it last week and it was truly sad. I do think that girl Melanie has a chance in being happy but the guy? Forget it. I was also disturbed by that scene with the prayer circle. Especially the guy saying the prayer being all "he lost the battle with homosexuality". WTF?

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2011 4:10 PM

I got through the first ten minutes and had to turn it off. The girl's mother STABBED her for being gay? So now she tries to be straight to get in good with her mother? Jesus, lady, run as far away as you possibly can.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2011 4:36 PM

The Christian guy was cute. I wouldn't have cheated on him :(

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2011 4:40 PM

I could only stomach it for a few minutes, disturbing to say the least

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2011 4:43 PM

I didn't make it past the intro. Depressing as hell and I've heard it all before. I wish them well, but whatever, it's their lives so they can do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2011 4:48 PM

I think the lesbian was just doing it to get on TV. The going straight, I mean. Obviously, the mother was a phobe. But the daughter just kept smiling mischievously the whole time in a way that made me doubt her sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2011 4:53 PM

"Ex-gays" are even more disturbing than long-time closet cases, IMO.

When you deny your sexuality it does very twisted things to your psyche. These are the types that go out and shoot up shopping malls.

Freud was a quack when it came to a lot of things but he had it right when it came to sexual frustration = rage and violent tendencies

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2011 5:03 PM

Did you guys see the True Life about hanging on to your first love? There was a 16 year old mom on there and she was pretty pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2011 5:10 PM

I thought the dinner with his parents even sadder. They would rather have their son sad, lonely and celibate with the label "straight" for the rest of his life, than to have him be who he is because it's obvious, after being straight for all these months he still hasn't dated one girl even once, says it all.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2011 5:16 PM

[quote]Did you guys see the True Life about hanging on to your first love? There was a 16 year old mom on there and she was pretty pitiful.%0D %0D Yes, it was. Especially because he is an asshole. %0D %0D How long do you think until this current episode is online?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2011 5:20 PM

I cannot fathom how the black chick could sit at the table with her mom and talk about this shit again. Your mom fucking stabbed you! Do you want her to stab you again?!

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2011 8:34 PM

It wasn't a stab stab.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2011 9:07 PM

I love the sea of gay face supporting Kevin at the hockey game. The giggle fest after Kevin nervously squeals over his fear of dating a real, live girl would have made Marcus Bachman feel right at home.

I can see Kevin taking his own life--he radiates deep sadness. By surrounding himself only with one-note, religious conservatives, he will never see any alternative ways to live gay other than their own stereotyping. In his mind, it's be an ex-gay or be an out gay indulging in drugs, partying, and promiscuous sex. None of those friends are going to let him know that there are gay men who live quiet, productive lives or that there are churches who will welcome him.

Is he going to go through life attending weekly support groups to stomach his straight lifestyle? Will he say, "Honey, I'm on my way to group therapy so I can get through another week of sex with you without vomiting!"

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2011 9:10 PM

The guy was honest with her. She was pathetic and her parents are dumb too.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2011 9:43 PM

I watched it. I decided to watch the whole thing. That friend of the religious guy, I questioned his motives. Very sad True Life episode. The parents of the guy at the end, what in the fuck? You take one look at him and you can tell he is depressed.

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2011 11:17 PM

I felt bad for him. I hope he can find some inner peace.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2011 12:40 AM

The gay guy is definitely depressed and in denial. I doubt his parents think he's straight now. I didn't understand the girl trying to please her mom.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2011 1:50 AM

I think the point for gay Christians who take the Bible seriously as the Word of God should not to be heterosexual or marry a woman, but to avoid fornication by remaining celibate, just as it should be for unmarried heterosexual Christians. Christian gays and bisexuals should be expected to love God above all else just like heterosexual Christians, which means your sexual desires don't control you. Christians should support people who want to live in accordance with God's Word and commands, but that does not mean they have to be heterosexually-identified.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2011 2:36 AM

It was a terribly depressing episode, but I guffawed when there was a quick shot during the lesbian Halloween party and someone was dressed as Steve Urkel. It looked like him!

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2011 2:49 AM

^ You're clearly trolling, of course, and you're clearly the troll in the "Yes, They Still Hate Us" thread, but I do agree that it'd be a lot more honest of anti-gay Christians to just tell the sinners to eat their peas and be celibate instead of encouraging them to live a lie and drag other people into that lie.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2011 2:51 AM

Oops -- that was for R19

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2011 2:52 AM

I'm headed to Exodus this weekend. Do you think it can work? Jesus says so, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2011 2:55 AM

I only saw the last ten minutes but I feel that was enough for me to say this: I want to blow the gay guy's lantern-jawed cowboy dad's long throbbing cock and swallow every last drop of his baby juice. You know, so he can't create another gay kid he can fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2011 3:10 AM

Ok so saying you're straight actually doesn't make you straight.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2011 3:28 AM

R20- That was actually the girl's, Melanie, date.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2011 4:06 AM

I don't think it was, R26. The date sort of looked like Urkel every day. There was a quick shot of someone else posing for the TV crew who looked just like Jaleel White...suspenders and everything.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2011 1:16 AM

f

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2011 10:57 AM

I love my mother, but if she stabbed me I will tend to kinda stay away from her.

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2011 12:00 PM

The worst True Life was the I Am a Sugar Baby. These young girls try to get some old man to date and string along but not have sex with them. The Asian girl's mom even encourages her to go meet these men so she can bring home money to give her. She's her daughter's pimp.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2011 12:03 PM

But not stab stab, right? Not like in the heart or anything. Just in the arms as a warning shot? She didn't mean to kill her daughter, right?

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2011 12:25 PM

That fat ugly sweaty pig-boy from I Am a Sugar Baby was pathetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2011 12:27 PM

Kevin the gay guy from true life has started A ministry program.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2013 9:07 AM

r33 Here's the interview:

KEVIN How is life treating you since filming ended?

Life has been amazing! I am starting a ministry program at my church to support those who have felt broken, either sexually or in relationships. This program will deal mostly with those who have same-sex attraction, have been affected by molestation, have been affected by damaging relationships or for those who have sexual addictions.

Do you still find yourself being attracted to men?

I see the attractiveness of men, yes. But I no longer lust after them. I just look at them as friends.

Have you gone on any dates with women?

Between work, school and my ministry program, I have not had much time for dates! But I hope to soon. I'm just waiting until I am fully ready so I don't hurt myself or the girl.

Do you think the changes that you're trying to make are possible for other people in your situation?

I believe it is possible, but you have to make that decision. The scriptures tell us that, "You can do all things through HIM who gives you strength." God never promises a bed of roses or a "peachy" life. But He does promise us that if we believe in Him and put our trust in Him, He will carry us through those tough times, even making the choice to seek healing from our brokenness.

Are you glad you decided to share your story with our viewers?

Overjoyed! It was a blast getting to know the crew and share my story. I used the time to evaluate where I am in my life and things that I need to keep working on.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2013 9:18 AM

"Between work, school and my ministry program, I have not had much time for dates! But I hope to soon"

Mary, please.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2013 5:15 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2013 9:06 AM

[quote]Between work, school and my ministry program, I have not had much time for dates! But I hope to soon

So it's been 2 years and he STILL hasn't dated a girl? What's with this "too busy to date" excuse? Real straight men, no matter how busy they are with work, still find the time to have sex with girls.

by Anonymousreply 37January 26, 2013 10:43 AM

WTF? He starts a ministry program even when it's clear that pray the gay away doesn't work for him? He deliberately keeps himself occupied in order to not deal with his latent homosexuality issue and has not yet come up with a way to delude himself that dating women would feel right to himself.

I would stay far away from that guy, because he is going to self destruct on an atomic bomb kind of level.

by Anonymousreply 38January 26, 2013 10:54 AM

It works well for me.

by Anonymousreply 39January 26, 2013 11:29 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2013 9:02 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 41April 2, 2013 5:10 PM

The thought of a gay person not wanting to be gay reminds me a bit of a Whoopi Goldberg character. A young black girl who wears a white shirt on her head because she wants long luxurious blond hair like a white girl. She doesn't want to be black but there's nothing she can do to become white. It's a very powerful piece and I think it applies to many situations.

by Anonymousreply 42April 2, 2013 5:55 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2013 6:38 AM

Is Kevin still claiming to be "straight"?

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2013 6:38 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2013 5:36 AM

is anyone watching I hate my Man's BROMance? These boys are gay not just Bros

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2013 10:04 PM

Here's a video of Kevin from True Life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2014 4:36 AM

Yes r44 see video @ r47

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2014 10:14 AM

People who are unable to break away from their destructive parents are weak and unworthy of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2014 11:01 AM

Does anyone know who the tattooed guy from true life episode with the foot fetish?

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2014 3:37 AM

R50 his first name is Andrew,I don't know the last name

by Anonymousreply 51December 29, 2014 8:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 1, 2015 8:24 PM

Kevin Hoksbergen was raised in a Christian -- presumably evangelical -- home. He had developed a same-sex relationship when his life fell apart. He lost his boyfriend, other friends, job, etc., and hit bottom. He turned to God and to Living Waters -- "an in-depth, Christ-centered program for people seeking healing in areas of sexual and relational brokenness." He said: "I did not go into the group to become heterosexual; I was searching for something to fill the void, and answers to the many questions in my heart. ... I was closer than ever to God. The void in my heart was being filled with his grace and mercy, pulling me out of the hole I had dug for myself. ... Getting to this place was not easy. It brought up resentment toward those who hurt me, shame of the detestable acts I had done, and feelings of unworthiness for the grace that Jesus was offering me from the Cross. In the midst of the pain, He was able to reach a part of my heart I never knew existed. Though temptations still surface from time to time, I have found great healing and freedom from same-sex attraction.

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2017 6:11 AM

What a loon

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2017 6:17 AM

I remember seeing this long time ago and yes it was disturbing but this dude got ugly so nevermind, straights can have him.

by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2017 6:23 AM

Is he still trying to claim that he's now straight?

by Anonymousreply 56April 25, 2020 4:39 AM

Religion is poison. When you are raised to believe being gay is bad don't be surprised when actual bad experiences lead you to the (wrong) conclusion that being gay is bad no matter how much, on a subconscious level, you know it's right for you.

It's all about expecting what you've been told your whole life to be true.

Same thing with kids who hear all their lives that they don't deserve what they want or desire. That creates insecurity and low self-esteem which can create all kinds of bad habits, addiction issues, and mental problems (like anger management issues) when they are adults.

by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2020 5:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!