Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think Desi Arnaz was hot?

I can't believe he got as much tail as he did. He didn't have a very strong jawline.

by Anonymousreply 134June 21, 2020 12:03 AM

Soooo hot especially as a teen with a prematurely hairy chest (inherited from Dad, I guess). "She Lives!" (as "Time in a Bottle" swells up).

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2011 8:59 AM

Ooops... I was going for Desi JR. :)

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2011 9:00 AM

I mean Sr., not Jr.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2011 9:02 AM

yum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2011 10:07 AM

Nope

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2011 10:27 AM

There's something sexy about a man with a large drum who can move his hips well, so yes.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2011 12:27 PM

That's a very pretty picture, R4. I'd never seen it before.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2011 12:33 PM

I just read that he and Cesar Romero had a thing? I had no idea.

He's pretty cute in this picture:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2011 12:39 PM

I thought he was ecchy. %0D %0D Btw, 99% of the tail he got was paid for.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2011 1:15 PM

Of course he was hot and DL naysayers are being, as usual, pointlessly bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2011 1:23 PM

What does "Desiderio" mean in Spanish?

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2011 1:27 PM

yes he was sexy

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2011 1:32 PM

[quote]What does "Desiderio" mean in Spanish?%0D %0D From Latin desiderium: longing, desire, wish, grief, regret, need, necessity.

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2011 1:37 PM

nose job?

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2011 1:48 PM

Hot as SHIT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2011 1:55 PM

with Lucy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2011 1:59 PM

What did he think of Little Miss Call Me Anna Patty Duke? Did he hate that little bipolar mess as much as Lucy did?%0D

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2011 2:12 PM

another cute one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2011 2:15 PM

[r8] Boze Hadleigh wrote that Desi let Cesar suck him off ...

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2011 2:17 PM

He was, by that point R17, so mired in his own alcoholism and unfortunate downward spiral that I doubt he even noticed.

(and not to be a DL grammar/spelling troll but just between us its PARKINS)

:-)

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2011 2:21 PM

I was a kid at the time of I Love Lucy and thought he was VERY hot.

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2011 2:27 PM

one more (he looks adorable):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2011 2:36 PM

There were a couple of episodes where Ricky had to take PR pix with some starlets, and I could just imagine Desi fucking them in his dressing room between takes.

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2011 2:39 PM

[quote]I can't believe he got as much tail as he did.

Well he didn't always get it, but not from lack of trying. In Barbara Eden's book she talks about guest starring on "I Love Lucy" and spending the week hiding from him. She said she wasn't interested because he was married anyway but he said Lucy was incredibly kind to her and thought it was so sad he was blatant.

by Anonymousreply 24July 12, 2011 2:41 PM

Lucy never stopped loving him. No matter how many other women he bedded or the gambling, she died loving him. That is the power of a big dick.

by Anonymousreply 25July 12, 2011 2:43 PM

As a young man he was hot. Middle age alcoholism smacked into him like a freight train.

by Anonymousreply 26July 12, 2011 2:44 PM

Because of his cultural upbringing and behavior learned from his father, he thought that was completely normal. He never understood why Lucy was upset that he fucked around. To him, they were "just" whores and she was the one he truly loved.

Sad, really, that they genuinely loved each other until the day they both died but just couldn't make it work.

The ultimate sad irony is that the one reason they were so desperate to do I LOVE LUCY was because they wanted to save their marriage. After all the joy, laughs, and happiness that show brought to people over the years it couldn't do the one thing they most wanted. It failed because the marriage broke up anyway and neither of them really recovered.

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2011 2:46 PM

Well I'm not saying she did R24, but you wouldn't really expect Barbara Eden to ADMIT sleeping with him even if it happened, would you?

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2011 2:48 PM

What did she have to lose r28? They were both dead when her book came out. She wouldn't be the first young actress to spread for a powerful man.

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2011 2:51 PM

Edie Adams says that when she and hubby Ernie Kovacs guested on one of the final Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours, that the tension between Lucy and Desi was so palpable. They weren't even speaking to each other off-script, and everyone was just sad and miserable. Edie had to sing in the episode, and she could barely get through it without crying.

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2011 2:52 PM

[quote]Lucy never stopped loving him. No matter how many other women he bedded or the gambling, she died loving him. That is the power of a big dick.

Your crass cynicism pretty much destroys your otherwise nice post.

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2011 2:56 PM

Well, again R29, I don't want to cast aspersions on Barbara at all I just don't think that, even if she DID spread for Desi, she would be likely to admit as much in a memoir.

I think she would have quite a lot to lose, reputation wise, if she admitted to the world that she slept with the husband of one of the world's most beloved women.

But again, and to be clear, I'm not saying that I think she did, just that autobiographies are usually self-serving to some degree and I wouldn't necessarily trust them as far as these types of anecdotes go.

by Anonymousreply 32July 12, 2011 3:01 PM

Desi was sexually repulsed by Lucy after she had the kids. He thought she lost her looks, and he wasn't attracted. He told this to his agent or someone, who responded "just put a paper bag over her head and fuck her."

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2011 3:03 PM

It was THE last show R30 and everyone involved (with the possible exception of Edie Adama) KNEW it was the last show. They weren't speaking or living together at the time but couldn't admit it to the world (even though the press had been talking about it for months) because they had to fulfill their Westinghouse contract. They hadn't worked together on a LUCY special since the previous fall and, by all accounts, it was a dire and depressing time during that shoot (and a dire and depressing episode to watch.)

They all knew that the moment the cameras stopped, the marriage was over. In fact, she filed for divorce the very next day after they finished.

by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2011 3:07 PM

LOL, deluded r25. You fail to understand that women are not like gay men...

by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2011 3:41 PM

Oh give R25 a break. I think he was just trying to make a funny.

by Anonymousreply 36July 12, 2011 4:11 PM

The stories about the last days of their marriage I have read before. The quotes are pretty much exact. I think a part of WHY Lucy "lost her looks" (she didn't, really, she just didn't look HAPPY in her middle years and the years hung on her face more heavily) but that she became poisoned from the inside out over her the way Desi treated her. Yes, she got some wrinkles and sags but happy people have some sort of "glow" or energy from the inside out that can help them look prettier in middle age. Healther. Comfortable in their own skin. Gracie Allen had that "look." She and George Burns had a happy marriage that lasted until she died. Lucy looked tired and haggard as the years of I Love Lucy wore on. She did not have a facelift for a long time due to her delicate and pale, thin skin. The set lighting helped (Karl Freund was an acknowledged genius) but, in any candid photos of that time, you can see the years on Lucy's face. She was able to maintain a facade of youth while playing Lucy Ricardo but not Lucille Ball.

Desi was an alcoholic, a gambler, a womanizer and a genius. He worked miracles with Desilu and even bought RKO studios in 1957! But, as Lucy acknowledged in an interview with Barbara Walters in the 1970's, everything he built up he had to tear down, to lose. It was in his nature, for some reason. He was a total contradiction. He got arrested for a DUI and for soliciting hookers in the mid 50's and this had to be hushed up. Confidential magazine (forerunner to the National Enquirer) ran a story around then called "Does Desi REALLY love Lucy" that alluded to these problems. It humiliated Lucy. It caused Lucy unbearable stress. The couple had boodles of money, fame, success and public adoration and, as others have noted, their marriage was failing.

The story of Lucy and Desi is, ultimately, a very sad one, in my opinion. It is like a Greek tragedy. In the very midst of the success of I Love Lucy, when the world adored the antics of the Ricardos and they were bringing so much joy to viewers, Lucy was found in a therapist's office, terrified that all the success would go away, dealing with feelings that she didn't deserve it and angry that her husband was cheating on her. In short, LUCY, herself, never seemed to find much of the happiness she brought to others. At least not for any extended period.

Whenever I watch the LA "anniversary episode" where Lucy is mad that Ricky has forgotten their anniversary and he cajoles her to dance with him at the Mocambo, I always get a tear. The song is The Anniversary Waltz and watching them dance so lovingly in that scene and knowing how much they really DID love each other in real life BUT how sadly it all would end and what problems they had really can get to you..when you know the backstory. Ricky says "C'mon honey" and Lucy gets up in that beautiful, sweeping black dress and he whirls her around and you just see how beautiful Lucille Ball was and how handsome Desi Arnaz was and how romantic that moment was..and it is emotional for a viewer fifty five years later. A testament to the talent of those two performers.

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2011 4:13 PM

Beautiful post R37

Let me add the moment that Lucy tells Ricky about her pregnancy is one that always brings a tear to me eye as well. They cry real (unscripted) tears at the finale as they are overcome with their emotions. The director wanted to re-shoot it without tears (as scripted) but fortunately, wiser heads prevailed and they stuck with the emotional ending.

The moment is so perfect because they are SO happy and have everything, yet (as you said) it would all end so sadly.

There is such a marked change between the Lucille Ball of pre-1960 and that of post-1960 that can be seen in everything she did (she was harder and much less joyful)

by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2011 4:25 PM

R37, why do you assume we're 14 years old?

"Confidential magazine (forerunner to the National Enquirer)"

DUH

"Everything he built up he had to tear down, to lose. It was in his nature, for some reason."

Yeah, he was a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 39July 12, 2011 4:27 PM

Lucy started looking hard around 56-57, around the final season of ILL. She appeared haggard, and she had a tougher time masking her raspy smoker's voice. She looked progressively worse through the hour-long episodes, and that new hairstyle did her no favors either.

by Anonymousreply 40July 12, 2011 4:32 PM

r39: Jeeze, I didn't realize you were a Mensa grad. Many people might not know what the hell a defunct magazine from a half century ago was about.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 41July 12, 2011 4:39 PM

I'd like to see a poll on how many never heard of Confidential magazine. Most have.

by Anonymousreply 42July 12, 2011 4:42 PM

r42, get a life. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2011 4:51 PM

Then we shouldn't care about your endless posts, eh?

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2011 4:53 PM

Lucy looked like shit in the later years of ILL and then for all of the other later shows, and no fan worship can hide that fact. It was because she drank and smoked so much. She lost her early movie star lusciousness and looked like a tired smoked-out drunk.

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2011 4:53 PM

I thought she looked pretty good on her next sitcom. Was it Here's Lucy? Btw, Viv also started to look like shit during the later ILL I imagine the stress got to her too.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2011 5:28 PM

By the time of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours, Lucy and Viv were both around 50. %0D %0D Are you all saying they looked bad for that age? I'm curious what your moms looked like at 50. %0D %0D Give a girl a fucking break!%0D %0D For me it was always the shock of seeing color candid closeups of Lucy in the 60s, 70s and onwards where you see all the wrinkles over heavy makeup and the clown ornge hair. On ur little b&w TV screen she always looked pretty glamorous to me on her post ILL Lucy shows.%0D %0D Btw, a great bio of Lucy is Ball of Fire but I'm blanking on the author's name.

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2011 5:50 PM

In the later seasons of ILL, I thought that Viv looked better than Lucy. The teased hairstyle that Viv sported that last season was very complimentary. Yes, and I'm gay.

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2011 5:55 PM

He got tail because he was rich and famous

by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2011 5:57 PM

[quote]Well, again [R29], I don't want to cast aspersions on Barbara at all I just don't think that, even if she DID spread for Desi, she would be likely to admit as much in a memoir.

She was offended by his actions, she didn't say she was flattered or even attracted to him. She wasn't a slut. She worked with Elvis too and didn't fuck him and she could could have said she did. She was a fan of Lucy and was greatly impressed how supportive Lucy was in trying to make her character for the episode as beautiful as possible.

by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2011 6:51 PM

r17 he liked Patty very much and didn't interfere with hers and Desi Jr's relationship, unlike Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 51July 12, 2011 6:59 PM

O yea, he was a looker. That he was also talented, intelligent and self made millionaire is the icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 52July 12, 2011 7:03 PM

Huge Cuban pinga.

by Anonymousreply 53July 12, 2011 7:10 PM

I never understood how Desi was able to keep MGM (or was it RKO?) from changing his name when he first arrived in Holywood. %0D %0D I'm not sure if Ricardo Montalban and Cesar Romero were their real names, but those I get as being reasonable and even romantic-sounding.%0D %0D For that matter, it even surprises me that Lucy was allowed to remain Ball in those days...it hardly sounded glamorous if not downright vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2011 9:22 PM

I like his name

by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2011 9:34 PM

Macho men's names do not end in i.

by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2011 9:39 PM

I fail to see how Desi could be such a stud when he was sooooo fuckin DRUNK!

by Anonymousreply 57July 13, 2011 1:33 AM

Didn't it seem like Gary Morton came out of nowhere to marry Lucy? I was so disappointed when she married him and not just because I wanted her and Desi to get back together. I knew him as a very unfunny comedian with a very bad wig. All of a sudden he is Mr Lucille Ball getting a producer credit on her shows. I refuse to believe that they ever slept together.

Desi went on to marry a woman who was almost a dead ringer for Lucy, red hair and all. But I guess she didn't mind him catting around because they stayed married up until the time she died.

I remember seeing one of the documentaries on them and they interviewed a friend of theirs named Carole Cook, a comedic actress who was a good friend of Lucy's. She was asked about Lucy's maternal side, how she was with the kids and Carole actually teared up and said that Lucy was not touchy feely with the kids at all. Desi was the one who played with them and hugged them and made them feel wanted. Lucy was pretty much a cold fish with them and with people in general. I have been reading that Lucy was a call girl when she first hit Hollywood. Maybe that experience, if true, soured her on people a bit.

by Anonymousreply 58July 13, 2011 4:09 AM

What exactly did Gary Morton do for a living after he married Lucy? Did he work at all or just play golf all day?

by Anonymousreply 59July 13, 2011 4:18 AM

[quote]What exactly did Gary Morton do for a living after he married Lucy? Did he work at all or just play golf all day?

I believe his tax forms read "Official Backgammon Partner and Tareyton-Lighter."

by Anonymousreply 60July 13, 2011 4:33 AM

There was a story about Lucy that never made sense. When Lucy first came to NYC she had to leave after a short time because she had some leg injury. She went back home for a year or two.

I always felt that she got knocked up and had trouble with an abortion

by Anonymousreply 61July 13, 2011 5:22 AM

No one has "trouble with an abortion" that lasts a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 62July 13, 2011 1:23 PM

Shr could have hemmridged or got really depressed

by Anonymousreply 63July 13, 2011 1:30 PM

Abortion does not cause depression, Representative Bachman!

by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2011 2:24 PM

R61, didn't she have trouble conceiving later on? Would a botched abortion contribute to trouble conceiving?

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2011 2:30 PM

Or she could have actually carried the child to term and adopted it out after a time R-61.... sort of like how you find homes for kittens after they are weaned.

by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2011 2:38 PM

I'm with r66.%0D %0D Btw, r61/r63, one does not hemorrhage for a year or two either. Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2011 2:42 PM

Keith Thibadeaux, who played Little Ricky, has said that Lucy was not a warm, maternal person. She was very cold to him on the set.

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2011 2:45 PM

Ohmigosh! His second wife was a dead ringer for Lucy! R58 is so right!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2011 7:17 PM

She was married to a rich guy b4 Desi

by Anonymousreply 70July 13, 2011 7:55 PM

R61 She had a mild strain of rheumatic fever of all things as near as I can gather from having read of it. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 71July 13, 2011 10:04 PM

And Lucy only had to return to Jamestown in upstate NY. It's not like she was from Alberquerque or something.

by Anonymousreply 72July 13, 2011 10:20 PM

I read on a DL thread not that long ago about Desi taunting Frank Sinatra and not being a bit afraid of him. Don't remember the deets though.

by Anonymousreply 73July 13, 2011 10:41 PM

Desi had wanted Van Johnson for the part of Elliot Ness on the Untouchables. Desilu created the show. Van, of course, was a friend of the Arnazes, going all the way back to Too Many Girls. In fact, it was Van who allegedly introduced Desi to Lucy. And, of course, Van guest starred on I Love Lucy. Anyway, Evie Johnson, Van's wife, was acting as his agent (for God knows what reason) and made last minute unreasonable salary demands on Desi. It was, essentially right before filming was to begin (like on a Friday and they were to begin filming on a Monday). It was a sort of blackmail, if you will. Well, Desi would have none of it, basically told her to kiss his ass and contacted Robert Stack, had a script sent over to him on a Friday and then started filming on time, on Monday. Stack got the part and went on to great fame and success with that show.

Just one example of what a tough, no-nonsense business guy Desi could be. He was not ALWAYS drunk. He was loveable, charismatic, handsome and seductive when he was sober. He got what he wanted from people He would put his big Cuban arm around you and call you "Parner" when he wanted something. But when drunk? Jekyl and Hyde. He could be mean and awful with people. Sloppy drunk.

When Lucy and he divorced, she took over the control of Desilu and HATED it with a passion. She had never been the businessperson, it was all Desi. She had just been able to be Lucy Ricardo and leave the rest to Desi. It was about this time that she hardened up even more since she HAD to. She became a ballbuster. She did a good job with the studio, eventually greenlighting such shows as Star Trek! She LEARNED how to run a studio in the man's world of "Mad Men" 1960's. I think running Desilu contributed greatly to her hardboiled personality post I Love Lucy.

Desi is quoted as saying, so sadly, that Lucy "was boiled hard by her hatred of me." He broke her heart and neither of them ever recovered, really. They could not live together and they never were really happy apart.

Gary Morton was a prop.

by Anonymousreply 74July 14, 2011 1:57 AM

Bumping this up. I enjoy reading stories about Lucy and Desi, not into it enough to read the books for myself but appreciate the anecdotes from people on here.

Here's another nice pic of Desi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 22, 2012 10:13 PM

I never thought Desi was very hot, either.

I always assumed he had sizemeat and everyone wanted a ride.

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2012 11:02 PM

[quote] Was it Here's Lucy?

Yes, the one right before Nobody Gives a Fuck, Lucy!

by Anonymousreply 77March 22, 2012 11:03 PM

R8, he and Cesar Romero didn't exactly have a "thing." More like, Cesar wanted him, so Desi allowed him to blow him a few times. But they didn't make love.

by Anonymousreply 78March 22, 2012 11:09 PM

Just love these bi-annual Lucy/Desi Threads on DL!

Fun re-reading this one, but I have to say that all those adorable photos of Desi posted above were shot at least several years before I Love Lucy.

Even in the series' first year he didn't look as fresh and dapper as these photos indicate. He (and she!) really aged quickly and badly.

by Anonymousreply 79March 23, 2012 12:41 AM

Oh, my GOD. It's those LATIN LIPS. I gotta go wank off, now.

by Anonymousreply 80March 23, 2012 1:37 AM

One of the documentaries about their lives has a bit of video of Lucy and Desi in a pool with their first grandson. Lots of laughter and playing around going on between them all. It is very touching if you were a fan of them, because that is how they should have ended up in life. Enjoying the grandkids and each other as they got older.

(Yay, it is on youtube.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 23, 2012 3:44 AM

He was great looking as a young man, even into the early days of I Love Lucy, but man, the hard living and work and stress and booze aged him fast.

by Anonymousreply 82March 23, 2012 4:05 AM

He was attractive in ONE picture. But he was in real life, fat and hirsute, with a beer gut and a premature gray beard. Yech. He used to get clap from hookers, which is why Lucy took forever to conceive as his clap infected her.

He used to lust after Vivan Vance and Ann Sothern and any other female that was breathing. He was also a Communist like Lucy. Of course they both denied it. Lucy saying she registered to please her grandfather. Like she couldn't have just lied and said she did. And Desi pretend the Commies ran his family out of Cuba, when he left with them early to promote the Vietnam agenda. He was all like "Yeah the Tet Offensive"

by Anonymousreply 83March 23, 2012 9:34 AM

Desi was many things but not hirsute.

by Anonymousreply 84March 23, 2012 12:03 PM

Someone said earlier that women are not like gay men. They are very much so. When a woman dates a man who isn't a stud, it's usually because he treats her well and the sex is good. How many of us have "fallen in love after one night?" A big dick goes a long way!

by Anonymousreply 85March 23, 2012 1:32 PM

Do you actually [bold]KNOW[/bold] any women, R85? Because you clearly don't know a thing about them.

by Anonymousreply 86March 23, 2012 3:28 PM

I KNOW that women cheat more than men and have been known to fall in love after sex.

by Anonymousreply 87March 23, 2012 5:13 PM

What a fun thread! More, more, more!

by Anonymousreply 88March 23, 2012 5:26 PM

Desi was barrel chested, which was not flattering on him the older he became. He had alcohol bloat starting in the early 50's, which was pretty much camouflaged by his Ricky Ricardo wardrobe. Smoking jackets and big padded shouldered suits. He lost some weight during the "Hollywood" years (when the Ricardos and Mertzes were in LA) and it showed onscreen. He looked good. But he was a big smoker, including Cuban cigars, and an alcoholic, which took a great toll on his appearance. That, plus the stresses from running Desilu really did a number on both his AND Lucy's looks, as has been noted. By the late 50's, both he and Lucy looked like warmed over shit. He had grey hair and she had bags and wrinkles plus that horrid matronly hairdo she inexplicably adopted during the Lucy/Desi comedy hour years.

Hard living is what destroyed Desi's good looks, plain and simple. And Lucy's stresses came from dealing with Desi's problems. He was the only man she ever truly loved, I think it is pretty clear. Other than perhaps Henry Fonda, he is the ONLY man who could "tame" her energy onscreen and whom she deferred to. That is what made I Love Lucy work for so long. Ricky Ricardo ultimately ruled the household and you BELIEVED it. Most of the time, Lucy was such a ballbuster, with that husky voice and bitter attitude, you could not imagine she would listen to ANY man.

by Anonymousreply 89March 23, 2012 6:15 PM

Well done, R89.

by Anonymousreply 90March 23, 2012 6:20 PM

Even though Lucy did not really respect him, she did listen to Gary Morton. That was a big mistake. I guess Lucy needed to be married, one of the few old school gay icons who felt that way.

by Anonymousreply 91March 23, 2012 7:12 PM

I wonder how young you'd have to be not to have grown up with reruns of I Love Lucy as your babysitter?

Are those of you in your thirties familiar with all the episodes? How about the twentysomethings?

I'm guessing all the 40 pluses are.

by Anonymousreply 92March 23, 2012 9:29 PM

Never thought Desi Arnaz was sexy...ALWAYS thought he was creepy (although I've never seen him in anything but I Love Lucy). I'd like to think it was because I could see through his acting, but I doubt I'm that perceptive.

by Anonymousreply 93March 24, 2012 2:34 PM

R83, what's this about lusting after Vivian Vance? He did?

by Anonymousreply 94March 25, 2012 8:52 PM

Omg yes the way he moves his hips wen he danced

by Anonymousreply 95June 22, 2012 7:45 AM

love them, always have. may they rest in peace. thank goodness for reruns, they live forever.

by Anonymousreply 96November 25, 2012 1:55 PM

Lucy would have loved Desi, but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 97November 25, 2012 2:08 PM

Well yes he was presentable...but as i have read he was a womanizer and i don't find these men my cup of tea. I can be attracted by them but not deeply.

by Anonymousreply 98November 25, 2012 2:12 PM

I have been an ILL fan forever but that's it, a fan. In real life they were a 50's couple and tortured like many couples from that era. Women stayed in those marriages for the longest regardless of how bad they were.

People continue to write about Lucy & Desi's love story and perhaps they had one in the beginning but it didn't last long at all. What is 20 yrs of hell?! You know celebs can create some great images.

His daughter Lucie said her husband Larry Luckinbill, is not like her father at all because he enjoys being home with his family. Unlike Desi, who was rarely ever home.

I saw a post on an ABC story about Lucy and Desi and someone said the "PR about those two continues yet they did very bad things to each other."

I suspect no one has written a tell-all book by now out of fear of some fans. Look at the story the NY Post did a few years ago about the alleged granddaughter of the Arnaz's. She said a "Mrs. Morton" visited her often. This was after Lucy had married Gary Morton. A nurse adopted the baby and told her Desi & Lucy were her parents. A PI said all of the information & pictures provided to him were credible. The granddaughter's mother looked more like Desi than the daughter he had with Lucy. Lucy & Desi's children denied the story at first but Desi, Jr. suddenly contacted a daughter he denied for years when the daughter had agreed to a DNA test.

Desi was a raging alcoholic but who knows why? Was it because of Hollywood's continuous racism against him? Everybody on ILL was nominated for an Emmy but him yet he did some major work, acted in it, executive produced, hired people, etc.

It is a great show but after 60 yrs it's time to just concentrate on the show and really leave that marriage alone unless someone is going to tell the truth.

by Anonymousreply 99December 23, 2012 4:33 AM

Ever notice how Lucy's voice began to deepen compared to the days on ILL? She was a smoker and a drinker. Between the stress of her marriage and working so much that's what aged her in the late 50s.

She was a workaholic because she grew up having to support her family. I wonder what she did when she wasn't home because I've read she never spent much time with her kids. The Thibideux man who played Little Ricky said when he visited their house you weren't allowed to make any noise because Lucy was always sleeping.

Ricky was on 23 yrs old. Women mature faster then men. Plus with his Latin background, women have no say so. I can only imagine the fights.

by Anonymousreply 100December 23, 2012 4:49 AM

Keith Thibodeaux: They had separate bedrooms in Beverly Hills at one point. Once, at their home in Palm Springs, she told her chauffeur to drive her down to the Indian Wells Country Club. She asked my father [a family friend] to go along with her. She went to the lounge to have a drink, and Desi walked in with a couple of women on his arm. When he saw Lucy at the bar, he turned around and took off.

[At their home] there was always tension. One time Desi Jr. and I were playing in the backyard, and they were in the guest house. We heard a lot of loud arguing and cursing and glass shattering and screaming, and we were scared. Desi Jr. turned to me and said, "There they go again." I was about 9,10 years old.

(in People Magazine)

by Anonymousreply 101December 23, 2012 5:10 AM

Desi was a Pisces. I bet he was a good kisser.

by Anonymousreply 102December 23, 2012 5:32 AM

I've never seen pictures or movies of Desi prior to I Love Lucy. I never considered him attractive at all. Desi, Jr. was sexy when he was young, but it didn't last very long.

I read the story about the woman claiming that she was the child of Lucy & Desi, given up for adoption, or that Lucy had simply paid the other woman to raise her child. The thing that gives it credibility is the intervention by Desi, Jr. to prevent the DNA test. Another post says the woman looks like Desi, but I had thought that maybe Lucy was hiding the child from him because she got pregnant by someone else during a separation.

I am very shocked by the details in that story about Desi, Jr. denying paternity of his own daughter for so long, until court ordered DNA tests, and then refusing contact with her until reaching some deal with her to prevent her from allowing a DNA test for the other woman claiming to be grandaughter of Lucy. The fact is, since Sean Astin was shown by DNA to not be his, Desi, Jr. does not have any other biological children except this young woman. It seems inhuman to refuse to get to know your own child.

by Anonymousreply 103December 23, 2012 5:46 AM

It's pretty easy to see why Desi wanted some of that Barbara Eden ass when she was guesting on ILL.

"My mother told me to pick y o u, YOU!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 23, 2012 1:35 PM

I love that episode of ILL, even though I didn't particularly care for the Connecticut Season. Would Ricky have been allowed to a member of the country club? What he have been allowed to buy a house in a nice part of Connecticut?

by Anonymousreply 105December 23, 2012 1:41 PM

I loved his hair, but not much else. Weak jaw, boring nose.

by Anonymousreply 106December 23, 2012 2:03 PM

Back in the 70's I was at the Del Mar racetrack and there was a long bar against the wall across from the betting windows. I walked over to get a Coke and, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed an old, drunk man with arms flailing, shouting to no one in particular. No one else was at the bar except for the bartender. I turned to face him and he stared at me with a glassy-eyed, totally wasted expression. We locked eyes for a few seconds until I realized that it was Desi Arnaz. Embarrassed, I turned and walked away. This is how I always think of Desi. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 107December 23, 2012 2:32 PM

How does someone get to be a womanizer? Desi Jr. knocked someone up at 15, so there must be a strong genetic component.

by Anonymousreply 108December 23, 2012 3:35 PM

[quote]Desi Jr. knocked someone up at 15

WHAAAAAAATTTT?!!?!?

by Anonymousreply 109December 23, 2012 3:39 PM

Omg he is soooooo hot he can move his hips sexy like!

by Anonymousreply 110January 27, 2013 6:07 PM

According to those in the "know", Desi was packing a genuine foot-long uncut penis.

by Anonymousreply 111January 27, 2013 7:22 PM

R111 - Bull fucking shit! Not even close to a one-footer. I saw Milton Berle's and Desi's was nowhere close.

by Anonymousreply 112January 28, 2013 2:39 PM

Desi Arnaz was a beautiful, beautiful man when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 113March 3, 2013 6:46 PM

Desi Arnaz, 1940s

What a pity he was probably a jerk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 13, 2013 9:07 PM

Here's a nude painting done of him I saw on eBay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 13, 2013 9:16 PM

Hahaha R115! Cute! :)

by Anonymousreply 116March 13, 2013 9:27 PM

Was Desi uncircumcised?

by Anonymousreply 117March 13, 2013 11:17 PM

He was born in Cuba, most likely.

by Anonymousreply 118April 14, 2013 12:59 PM

I will never understand how LB Mayer (or the RKO execs?) allowed Desi to keep that awful unpronounceable name.

by Anonymousreply 119April 14, 2013 1:45 PM

No, he was syphilitic.

by Anonymousreply 120March 29, 2014 6:56 PM

Was he hung? Did Caeser Romero tell?

by Anonymousreply 121March 26, 2018 11:21 AM

No he wasn't. Desi Jr was hot for awhile but let it slide down fast.

by Anonymousreply 122March 26, 2018 12:34 PM

Do I think he was hot? No, I KNOW he was hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 26, 2018 1:50 PM

He gave me so many STIs, I couldn't get pregnant til I was 40.

by Anonymousreply 124March 26, 2018 1:58 PM

No. No talent either. We always turned down the volume when he sang. Damn lucky he hooked up with Lucy. Very ugly little man.

by Anonymousreply 125March 26, 2018 2:16 PM

I always thought he was sexy. The first man I ever really fell for looked a lot like him. He had a huge 9/10 incher. I've never gotten over him and found my very own Gary Morton in the years since. Nothing has ever felt like my time with him and I doubt if anything ever will. Maybe we're all cursed to fall for people we can't share a life with, so we settle for the safe choice. I can relate to Lucy there.

by Anonymousreply 126March 26, 2018 8:22 PM

"Ugly little man?" Not quite, r125. He looked above average to me but I have to agree about the singing. Bad idea to let him sing on the show. He did have his funny moments so he had a little acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 127March 26, 2018 9:13 PM

When I was a boy, Desi was always my favorite on ILL, I couldn't have told you why then, but now I know it's because I thought he was cute.

by Anonymousreply 128March 26, 2018 9:42 PM

I thought he was attractive in his own way. I always wondered if he had a dark, uncircumcised cock.

by Anonymousreply 129January 21, 2019 11:04 PM

It's not a Datalounge thread about Lucy until two assholes argue about dick size.

Although, to be fair, most Datalounge threads wind up this way.

I remember a thread about ZaSu Pitts that devolved into a bitch fight between three people each of whom claimed they had tricked with either Gregory Peck, Erroly Flynn and Vic Damone. Then that guy who claimed to follow Forrest Tucker into a steam room chimed in and it was all over.

Poor ZaSu. Her entire career eclipsed by a few size queen hoes.

by Anonymousreply 130January 21, 2019 11:56 PM

R126: “He had a huge 9/10 incher. I've never gotten over him and found my very own Gary Morton in the years since.“

Only on DL would this statement be assumed to be understood.

by Anonymousreply 131January 22, 2019 12:02 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 132June 20, 2020 11:46 PM

Zasu was a horrible McCarthyite, so fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 133June 20, 2020 11:59 PM

Good Christ, this thread goes back to 20-fucking-11 !!!

by Anonymousreply 134June 21, 2020 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!